Ty Burna's All Hip Hop Thread

Try giving Everready and Killer a listen X his music has changed a little but not too terribly much, he might impress you now.

And you may be right, it might've been from having to listen to the music constantly, I generally get the same sentiments when I'm forced to listen to certian artists constantly, its one of the biggest reasons why I can't stand 50 Cent as I had a roommate in 2003 that would play nothing but 50 Cent day in and day out, hour by hour, I nearly lost my mind.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, and I'm too lazy to read back through the posts in this thread to check, as well as too lazy to get on wiki to check the release date.

However, I just picked up K.O.D. by Tech N9ne and having lived 45 minutes from KCMO for the last five years I love everything Techa Nina has done. K.O.D. is a great album, I think I'm still a fan of Killer more so than K.O.D. currently, but I'm digging every single track on this cd. Show Me a God was an excellent song to set the mood of the album and everything else just completely fits to Tech N9ne's style.

Anyone else's thoughts? Agree or disagree?

Loving K.O.D. right now. It's been in my deck since last Wednesday, and it hasn't come out, at all. I like the direction he took this CD, he went back to his darker lyrics and it's a far more somber mood than his last few albums like Killer and Sickology 101 have been more along the lines of party songs and more upbeat style. Definitely a solid album by Tech, especially the song Demons featuring Three 6 Mafia.

Honestly I've never been much of a Tech N9ne fan. My boy is always playing him, and frankly I always thought he was terrible. Granted it was one CD from the guy and I probably just disliked him so much because of how often I had to hear it. His flow didn't impress me, his lyrics didn't, and the beats I thought were trash.

That said, I think I'm going to give him another chance. He's playing in Worcester I believe next week and a few friends of mine are going, so I think I'll go along. I've heard he puts on good shows, I just hope he's alot better than what I remember from that CD.

We've discussed this previously X, and I can understand that you don't like him because you've heard him many times. His beats have never been the best but he's an independent artist, he doesn't have the access to the great beat makers like more mainstream artists do. As far as his flows, well you know my opinion on that. I see Tech's flows as one of the best in the Midwest, rivaled only by Krayzie Bone's. But if you're going to go see him live, by all means DO IT. I think he's amazing on CD's, but live, the show he puts on is awesome. I stood damn near at the rail and literally it was so loud from people yelling and cheering that it took 4 days for my ears to stop ringing. Absolutely the best concert I have ever been to. And I've been to a ton of Punk shows, hip hop shows, and general rock shows.

I just downloaded K.O.D today. I'm almost finished with the album. Granted I only listened to Sickology 101, but this album is way darker then that. The flows are solid, the beats are sick. I love it. Tech N9ne is coming to Richmond soon, November 14th to be exact. I think it's $25/$30. I'd love to go but i'm in a jam with transportation. I fucking love 'Show Me A God'. Wow.. that song is just deep.

What's good everyone? I figured it was time for another listing exercise since we've kinda quieted down on the thread now, and my apologizes, you know how it goes life catches up with ya, been busy with work, handling WZCW stuff, etc. Anyways, what I wanna know is, what is your top 5 favorite songs to party to? We've discussed best lyrical content, best flow among other things, but let's not forget that hip hop was also about partying and having a good time.

On to my Top 5:

[YOUTUBE]0xoR6tGFgm8[/YOUTUBE]
5. Lil Jon & The Eastside Boyz featuring Mystikal and Krayzie Bone - "I Don't Give a Fuck" - First up on the docket is the crunk style song I Don't Give a Fuck. I'm a fan of Lil Jon, his music always gets me hyper, energetic and ready to party. Just to add to the awesomeness is Mystikal and Krayzie Bone, who just spit ridiculously fast on the Lil Jon beat. Definitely a great song to liven the party up right away.

[YOUTUBE]WL2txMU50CI[/YOUTUBE]
4. Juvenile featuring Lil Wayne and Mannie Fresh - "Back That Ass Up" - Yeah I know, I have a hatred for Lil Wayne that is far from healthy, but this was back when he wasn't running around mumbling into the mic like an idiot and acting like that's real hip hop. Anyway, I've been a fan of this song since it came out 10 years ago (10 years ago? Damn I'm starting to feel old). "Back That Ass Up" is and always will be a great song to get the ladies dancin, and generally gets the whole party going. Trust me, I've seen it happen on many occasions.

[YOUTUBE]vFpRevrahFs[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]z1jn-31bDEY[/YOUTUBE]

3. Three 6 Mafia featuring Bow Wow and Project Pat - "Side to Side" and Three 6 Mafia featuring 8ball and MJG and Young Buck - "Stay Fly" (Tie) - One thing I will say about Three 6 is that their album Most Known Unknown definitely gave us two awesome partying songs. I know some people on here can't stand Three 6 Mafia, which compared to their old shit I would agree they're not as good. But this list isn't about quality of lyrics, it's about having an awesome beat and music in general that gets ya up and moving. So "Side to Side" definitely is a fun dancing song, and "Stay Fly" well, I added it as a tie because I like both about the same and couldn't choose one.

[YOUTUBE]52qtMYMQgXw[/YOUTUBE]
2. Layzie Bone featuring Thin C - "2 Step" - Homer alert, but whatever I don't care. This isn't a bigger known song, but in my mind it was the original 2 Step song before that bullshit DJ UNK stole the idea and made a hit out of it with no lyrics whatsoever. I've been jamming this song at parties for at least 4 years now, and even though most don't know it, the beat is uplifting and usually you get people 2 stepping to it, me included of course.

[YOUTUBE]o6TUhx2wX0M[/YOUTUBE]
1. Snoop Dogg - "Gin and Juice" - Well number one on my list is Gin and Juice by Snoop Dogg, I didn't have a West Coast artist at all until now, but I think my biggest problem is we could have easily expanded this list to ten and still not have enough spots for some great songs. Well as some know, I'm a huge fan of Gin and Juice, I love drinking it, and this song is just so laid back but yet has a party atmosphere all at the same time. This is when Snoop was at his best, and you could include other Snoop songs onto this easily. But I pick this one because you can get all the hip hop OG's singing along to the chorus every time it hits the jukebox.

That's my list, I know I'm gonna get eaten alive by some of my choices, but this was a more difficult list than I had anticipated. Again this could have been made into a Top Ten list and I still would have felt bad about leaving certain songs out. As you can see I made a few selections based on having a good beat to dance to. Well that how I am, I love dancing to hip hop, so a lot of my party music revolves around that.

Passing it on to y'all now, what's your favorite songs you like to party/dance to?

My top 5 for this year are :

5. Lil Boosie - Loose As A Goose - His beats are mostly made for the partying type of song. The song is essentially about drinking. How much better could it get?
4. David Guetta ft Akon - I know this is essentially a song for chicks but I love the techno beat. And when the chorus kicks in, it just really gets you going.
3. Classified - The Maritimes - Just your basic laid back party song. After living in the maritimes for a few years I know what the parties are all about. They are about getting drunk and having a good time, and this song is all about that.
2. LMAO ft Lil Jon - Shots - Essentially a techno/rap song. Just a good beat to get ya going and make you want to party hard.
1. Gucci Mane - Wasted - Another song full of lyrics of drinking/partying and the beat goes hand in hand with it.

This year, I party to these songs and a few others. Ty, I love your list too. Side 2 Side is one of my favorite Three Six Mafia songs. The others being, That's Right featuring Akon and Jim Jones, Stay Fly, and Poppin' My Collar. Back That Ass Up by Juvenile is another classic party song. I remember hearing that song when it first came out too. Back then I had no clue who Lil Wayne was though. Ironically now I've grown to be a huge fan of his ever since the Carter 2. Juvenile keeps trying to make hits/new songs, but I'm not feeling any of them. And of course Gin and Juice is another classic. It doesn't get much better then the West Coast and Snoop Dogg.

Top 5 party songs:

1. Tupac Shakur ft Dr Dre- California Love

Pac was an amazing all around rapper. He could give you some gangster shit, inspirational songs, and party songs. You give him a Dre beat fresh out of jail and something special is bound to happen.

[YOUTUBE]FWOsbGP5Ox4[/YOUTUBE]

2. Notorious BIG- Party and Bullshit

BIG's first major hit. He has a great, quick flow. This is one of my favorite songs by him.

[YOUTUBE]mHaTSxMuS6U[/YOUTUBE]

3. DMX- Party Up

I'm a big DMX fan. He's one of the few rappers who can make mainstream songs that I'll listen to all the time.

[YOUTUBE]w9FHbP2-of8[/YOUTUBE]

4. 50 Cent- In Da Club

I hate putting a song like this on any list, but I'm a big 50 fan. Anytime I'm at a party and this song comes on good things happen.

[YOUTUBE]nPR6AntOJ2k[/YOUTUBE]

5. D12- 40 oz

This would be my homer pick. The first verse from Bizzare sucks, but great verses by Shady and Proof make up for it. Good beat and lyrics for partying.

[YOUTUBE]MF7sIBsG3Fk[/YOUTUBE]

Honorable mention- Any song by Ludacris.

Ty - We talked a little about this last night, and since it's slow, I'll post it again here.

Jay-Z's new song, with Alicia Keys, is growing on me. The first few times I heard it, I more ignored it than anything. The last few days though, I've been sitting home doing nothing, so I figured I'd check it out again. Jay-Z has always been a "guilty pleasure" of mine, so don't flame me for thinking that. He's not bad here, even if the same song has been done a thousand times before. Alicia really sells it though. Her voice is just perfect for just about everything, and she makes the video so much easier to watch.

I'd marry that woman...

Also, I nominated this for Thread Of The Year, so don't let it die...

Ty - We talked a little about this last night, and since it's slow, I'll post it again here.

Jay-Z's new song, with Alicia Keys, is growing on me. The first few times I heard it, I more ignored it than anything. The last few days though, I've been sitting home doing nothing, so I figured I'd check it out again. Jay-Z has always been a "guilty pleasure" of mine, so don't flame me for thinking that. He's not bad here, even if the same song has been done a thousand times before. Alicia really sells it though. Her voice is just perfect for just about everything, and she makes the video so much easier to watch.

I'd marry that woman...

Also, I nominated this for Thread Of The Year, so don't let it die...

Yeah we discussed it last night, I do admit I have a bias against Jay-Z so my opinion on the song isn't exactly credible from that standpoint. But it just sounds like any other Jay-Z song nowadays, he throws a few short verses in and then let's his female guest appearance do the chorus for 70% of the song. I'm not complaining about Alicia Keys being in the song, hell that should say Alicia Keys featuring Jay-Z as far as I'm concerned. But like I told you last night, my biggest problem with the song is the title. It's a clear blatant rip off of Nas's "NY State of Mind". Now that Jay and Nas are cool, I"m sure Nas gave him the clearance for the song title, but to me it's still bullshit. Then again Empire State of Mind is mostly for radio play where Nas's NY State of Mind is a true hip hop classic, it's clear to anyone which song is ultimately better. So I'll let Jay just continue feeding off other artist's ideas and controversies. Not like he took NY State of Mind and completely chopped it up.

Oh and thank you for nominating the hip hop thread NSL, much appreciation man.

Yeah, I'm not a die-hard, so I don't know all the ins and outs of the song title, but since they're cool now, I'd assume it was an "homage" to Nas, and proof that they're cool. This, of course, is unless Nas comes out, blasting Jay-Z for stealing his shit, and we get a whole new rap war.

Because most of what I listen to is on the radio (for hip-hop), my likes and dislikes are a little skewed. Jay-Z has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, but I can see why people that live and breathe the music would dislike him.

Yeah, I'm not a die-hard, so I don't know all the ins and outs of the song title, but since they're cool now, I'd assume it was an "homage" to Nas, and proof that they're cool. This, of course, is unless Nas comes out, blasting Jay-Z for stealing his shit, and we get a whole new rap war.

Because most of what I listen to is on the radio (for hip-hop), my likes and dislikes are a little skewed. Jay-Z has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, but I can see why people that live and breathe the music would dislike him.

Oh man, another Nas/Jay-Z beef, I'm salivating at the thought of Nas tearing Jay-Z apart with fresh material to work with *cough* Beyonce *cough*. But I"m assuming that there wont' be as there's more money in it for them working together than against one another. Besides they got the publicity they wanted from their last one, Nas has elevated back up to a top artist, and Jay-Z has skyrocketed popularity as well.

Here's my whole back story as a hip hop fan when it comes to Jay-Z. When I first got into hip hop (think back 13-14 years ago) The first group I got into was the Fugees for a couple years, and then I got into Jay-Z and DMX. Now this was at the time that X and Jay-Z were considered on equal levels. This was roughly around the time Biggie died so everyone was looking for someone to take his place. The three contenders were Jay, X, and Nas. Now I hadn't heard Nas at that point, no Internet and all, so it was all based on what MTV Jams showed. Jay had the real smooth flow while X was rugged and and had the aggressive lyrics. Jay-Z released Vol 2. Hard Knock Life and I loved it. It was at the time my favorite album. DMX meanwhile had It's Dark and Hell is Hot, which rivaled Vol. 2 in every way possible. Now comes their new albums, Vol. 3 The Life and Times of S. Carter by Jay-Z, and And Then There Was X (I missed Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of my Blood).

I was excited for Jay-Z's album more to be bluntly honest. And I put the CD in, and was severely disappointed. The only good song was Big Pimpin featuring UGK. I was pissed, I was expecting songs that were like the ones on Vol. 2. I think I literally took a hammer to that disc about 3 months after I bought it. Meanwhile And Then There was X was off the hook, the kind of album that you could sit and listen to from start to finish. And yet here's Jay-Z getting more love and attention with a shit album, compared to X with a great album. I never bought a Jay-Z album after that, still haven't purchased one, nor even downloaded one. And since that moment, Jay has become more and more commercialized in his music and is getting treated like he's a true hip hop legend. While most will say he is, I don't get why he is a legend. It just boils down to that his original style and lyrics were my favorite, and then he changed everything around to a style that I can't stand. I understand he makes music for the club hits now, and that I'll never see the Jay-Z that was on Vol. 2 ever again. It's more or less to me that he turned his back on me as a fan by changing his style to a more media friendly style.

So that ends my little rant about why I don't like Jay-Z. I don't have anything against anyone that likes him, but it must be known that he used to be my favorite artist along with DMX, and then quickly descended towards one of my least favorites.

Ty, this is a dumb question, but have you seen the cyphers from this year's BET awards? If you have, what'd you think of them? I'll be honest, I never realized Black Thought was a part of the Roots, and I've never been a big fan of the Roots, but his rhymes from the cypher have made me take up a slight interest.

EDIT : Also, are you a fan of Chamillionaire, and if so, have you heard " Good Morning " and what do you think of it ?

Ty, this is a dumb question, but have you seen the cyphers from this year's BET awards? If you have, what'd you think of them? I'll be honest, I never realized Black Thought was a part of the Roots, and I've never been a big fan of the Roots, but his rhymes from the cypher have made me take up a slight interest.

EDIT : Also, are you a fan of Chamillionaire, and if so, have you heard " Good Morning " and what do you think of it ?

I haven't heard of The Cyphers that BET has been doing, but a quick Youtube search brought me the Ace Hood, Juelz Santana, DJ Premier, Fabolous, and Jadakiss one and that one is ridiculous. Ace Hood, Jada and Fabolous all killed it, Juelz was so so but he's never been that great anyways. The Roots meanwhile, are damn good. I can't point you to any specific album or anything as they haven't quite reached the "constantly in the playlist" status yet but they're getting there. It's a whole different style that I've found I enjoy.

As far as Cham goes, yes, yes, and more yes. I have ever Mixtape Messiah he's released, a ton of his other mixtapes and his two retail albums. The whole album Ultimate Victory is excellent. I like The Bill Collecta featuring Krayzie Bone (obvious choice there), Won't Let You Down, Welcome To The South, Industry Groupie and Pimp Mode as my favorites from the album. I would highly suggest grabbing his last Mixtape Messiah, number 7. He brought some serious fire with that album.

And Good Morning is an excellent song, I like how they set up the instrumentals for the song and Cham like usual flowed nicely over it.

I haven't heard of The Cyphers that BET has been doing, but a quick Youtube search brought me the Ace Hood, Juelz Santana, DJ Premier, Fabolous, and Jadakiss one and that one is ridiculous. Ace Hood, Jada and Fabolous all killed it, Juelz was so so but he's never been that great anyways. The Roots meanwhile, are damn good. I can't point you to any specific album or anything as they haven't quite reached the "constantly in the playlist" status yet but they're getting there. It's a whole different style that I've found I enjoy.

As far as Cham goes, yes, yes, and more yes. I have ever Mixtape Messiah he's released, a ton of his other mixtapes and his two retail albums. The whole album Ultimate Victory is excellent. I like The Bill Collecta featuring Krayzie Bone (obvious choice there), Won't Let You Down, Welcome To The South, Industry Groupie and Pimp Mode as my favorites from the album. I would highly suggest grabbing his last Mixtape Messiah, number 7. He brought some serious fire with that album.

And Good Morning is an excellent song, I like how they set up the instrumentals for the song and Cham like usual flowed nicely over it.

Ace , Juelz , Fabo, and Kiss is from last year. I'll post this years for ya :

I'm a huge Cham fan too. I love his music. I've got both of his mainstream albums, but I've got nothing other then that. I've been trying to find his Mixtape Messiah series in stores up here, because somehow Canada gets the mixtapes in their stores, whereas while I was living in New York, I could not find any whatsoever. I'm really hoping to find them.

I had never heard anything by KRS-One until his part in the cypher, and I must say, he seems like one of the those people who are about true, old school, hip hop which is awesome.

Also, have you ever been a fan of Lil' Wayne? I know you aren't right now, as I read that in the Cudi vs Drake thread, but I was curious if you were ever into his music?

Also thought I'd post this vid and get your thoughts on it.

I'm a huge Cham fan too. I love his music. I've got both of his mainstream albums, but I've got nothing other then that. I've been trying to find his Mixtape Messiah series in stores up here, because somehow Canada gets the mixtapes in their stores, whereas while I was living in New York, I could not find any whatsoever. I'm really hoping to find them.

Also, I had never heard anything by KRS-One until his part in the cypher, and I must say, he seems like one of the those people who are about true, old school, hip hop which is awesome.

Also, have you ever been a fan of Lil' Wayne? I know you aren't right now, as I read that in the Cudi vs Drake thread, but I was curious if you were ever into his music?

I think Cham may have released Mixtape Messiah 7 for free on his website if not I know he's released albums for free before. Might just take a bit of looking, if anything his website should hook you up to his online store.

KRS-One is a legend, and he is old school hip hop man. He was big back in the 80's before the gangsta rap era began with NWA and Ice T. Really if you want to get hooked up with some of his best, talk to X as he's an aficionado when it comes to KRS. And yes is awesome, glad to see he's still putting excellent music out.

Lil Wayne, yeah I did at one point, but that was back when he was still in the Hot Boy group with Juvenile and BG was when I enjoyed his music. It's when he sold out to a more mainstream sound and started using the dreadful auto tune is when I started to strongly dislike him.

Lil Wayne, yeah I did at one point, but that was back when he was still in the Hot Boy group with Juvenile and BG was when I enjoyed his music. It's when he sold out to a more mainstream sound and started using the dreadful auto tune is when I started to strongly dislike him.

I have to say I agree with this. While I purchased the Carter III, I didn't really enjoy it. I liked Wayne up until the Carter 2, a few songs here and there over the years have been good by him, but other then that he's definitely lost it to me. He says he goes off the top of the head, but you can only do so much of that before you start spitting random lines like he does. Also his autotune work is horrendous, his voice was not one made for singing.

Did you noticed my edit in the last post with the Raekwon video?

I have to say I agree with this. While I purchased the Carter III, I didn't really enjoy it. I liked Wayne up until the Carter 2, a few songs here and there over the years have been good by him, but other then that he's definitely lost it to me. He says he goes off the top of the head, but you can only do so much of that before you start spitting random lines like he does. Also his autotune work is horrendous, his voice was not one made for singing.

The thing is, there's nothing wrong with doing rhymes off the top of your head. Freestyling for retail albums is pretty common, but in Lil Wayne's case he really should take a second to sit down and write some lines out and see how fucking stupid they are before putting that shit out for retail. The only thing going for him was that Mannie Fresh was making some sick beats for him to mumble over, and it's the beats that make a good majority of his songs. Back in the day he was good at spitting because you could actually understand what he was saying, but nowadays all I hear is him mumbling until you get to the last part of the line where you can hear his basic rhymes.

The thing is, there's nothing wrong with doing rhymes off the top of your head. Freestyling for retail albums is pretty common, but in Lil Wayne's case he really should take a second to sit down and write some lines out and see how fucking stupid they are before putting that shit out for retail. The only thing going for him was that Mannie Fresh was making some sick beats for him to mumble over, and it's the beats that make a good majority of his songs. Back in the day he was good at spitting because you could actually understand what he was saying, but nowadays all I hear is him mumbling until you get to the last part of the line where you can hear his basic rhymes.

I agree with that 100%. Everything he says is mumbled and so hard to understand. But moving on to something more interesting, my favorite artists right now and in no specific order are Wale, Bun B, Chamillionaire, Raekwon, Slaughterhouse, The Clipse, Young Jeezy, and Classified, a kind of local act in Canada. He's from Halifax and he's blown up huge across Canada. Have you ever heard of him?

I agree with that 100%. Everything he says is mumbled and so hard to understand. But moving on to something more interesting, my favorite artists right now and in no specific order are Wale, Bun B, Chamillionaire, Raekwon, Slaughterhouse, The Clipse, Young Jeezy, and Classified, a kind of local act in Canada. He's from Halifax and he's blown up huge across Canada. Have you ever heard of him?

All good selections, but I haven't heard of Classified. There are so many new artists coming out in the hip hop industry that's it's getting difficult to keep tabs on all the new ones. I'm also personally very picky when it comes to hip hop so I tend to find artists I like and stick with them. Every once in awhile a new artist will collaborate with my favorite artists and suddenly I have another artist that joins my collective.

Currently my favorite artists are Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, Tech N9ne, Chamillionaire, SPM, Murs, Atmosphere, Bun B, RZA, Wu Tang Clan, just to name a few that I've been bumping a lot lately.

So, I don't know if this has been touched on in here or not but on December 15 Lupe Fiasco's new album drops. I don't know about you guys but I am pretty hype about this. Lupe is one of my favorite rappers going today. His beats are always tight and the words are even better. Seriously one of the best rappers in the game today and one of the most underrated, in my opinion. I have loved his first two cd's and have great expectations for this new one. Hopefully it delivers.

So, I don't know if this has been touched on in here or not but on December 15 Lupe Fiasco's new album drops. I don't know about you guys but I am pretty hype about this. Lupe is one of my favorite rappers going today. His beats are always tight and the words are even better. Seriously one of the best rappers in the game today and one of the most underrated, in my opinion. I have loved his first two cd's and have great expectations for this new one. Hopefully it delivers.

If anyone is looking forward to Lupe's album, it's me. I'm a huge fan of Lupe. I love his music and his beats. He's the one guy I can compare Kid Cudi to in their unorthodox style and beats. But I love the music.

I'm bored, so I thought I'd share this underrated and unfortunately overlooked gem from the underrated group Group Home.

I love that song so much, something about the beat and the lyrics just brings me right back to the mid to late 90s, and always makes me think of Boston. It's been far too long since I've been up there, I'm going to have to go back to the old haunts pretty soon. I'm bored, and this song seemed "urban", if that makes any sense...like a song that reminds you of the city, you know? Hope that makes sense.

Yeah, I'm random like that.

And have some Big L, just for the fun of it. Easily in my Top 5 rappers ever, if not my favorite ever. It's a toss up between him, Nas, and GZA.

Anyone got any suggestions of shit like that? I'm looking for some of that mid to late nineties dark gangsta rap like Big L, GZA, and Group Home. And by dark I do not mean horrorcore god damnit, the only group to ever do that genre successfully were the Gravediggaz and the Geto Boys to a lesser extent.

X is looking for that mid to late nineties dark rap. Hmmmm what group in the nineties had a a darker sound? Who was really big at that point.......OH I GOT IT!

And what I'm specifically point out here, is the whole E1999 album is essentially what you're looking for X. I know it's a cheap cop out but damn it don't press me on this. I'm sure you know by now, but the RZA can definitely put some darker songs out there.

I had another artist or two in mind but since I had to step away for a minute, I forgot who else I was gonna post. When I think of more I"ll share them with ya. Now as far as horrorcore goes, there's really only 3 that can be named. Gravediggaz, Geto Boys, and Esham from Detroit. Blaze Ya Dead Homie isn't bad either but he's gotta get away from the whole ICP crew to be taken seriously.

I remembered who I was gonna post here now. Check out Immortal Technique if you haven't already. The man has awesome storytelling ability, and his lyrics are top notch as well.

Hope that helped ya out a bit X.

Ha, I knew this would happen. I've heard every one of those songs, man of COURSE I know Immortal Technique, he's one of the sickest MCs in the entire game right now. I'm a Wu-Tang addict so of course I love RZA, and I've obviously owned a copy of E1999 for years man, come on, you know me! I'm looking for something maybe a bit more obscure, ya know? I just can't find anything that reminds me of that Group Home song, it's so fucking good, it's like crack, I have to listen to it every day. The beat is just mesmerizing.

So, thought I'd venture into the hip-hop thread once again, gonna bring up a few different things which I'd like everyone thoughts on aswell.

1. X,

I don't know if you've heard this, you probably have, but worth a shot if you hadn't for a dark 90's hip-hop track.

[YOUTUBE]ciGN8nBWkRY[/YOUTUBE]

2. New albums...

So I've recently listened to Wale & 50 Cent's new albums thoroughly over the last few weeks. First off, Wale, I was really frustrated with this album, having seen him live and listening to his mixtape and seeing his potential, he gave us Attention Deficit. Don't get me wrong some of the tracks were good, I especially liked Contemplate, but a lot of the album was just poor content.
Here's Contemplate for those who haven't heard it;

[YOUTUBE]KIAFVm7MJo4[/YOUTUBE]

Next, Before I Self destruct. I was actually quite impressed with this album, felt a lot more like old 50 material which was nice to hear. Also there was a huge drop in the amount of mainstream/ radio tracks on this album which was great and overall a decent album, my favourite track was easily the opener The Invitation;

[YOUTUBE]4bRENJ3829M[/YOUTUBE]

What did you guys think of these albums?

3. Why has everything got to be one or the other?

I mean, I know we all compare things and that's fine but it just gets annoying. Why do you have to like either old or new school rap, why can't you just appreciate both for what they are. I know were not going to get another Pac, but back then we never had a Kanye, I don't see why it's got to be one or the other, just seems like people are so stuck in their ways that they are unwilling to give anything a chance. Can anyone explain it?

4. British Hip-Hop

We seem to be having a little surge over here of more rap sounding tunes compared to the grime/ house stuff which I am looking, here's a quick look at a few artists, I'd love to hear some feedback from over the pond, at least give it a chance, but be aware, it's different and might be hard to get used to.

Firstly Giggs - most certainly a rapper and a controversial one at that, but a very hot one. He's been on the radio quite a bit, has a nice flow and spits over hip-hop beats. He's even been attracting a few labels in America which is good to see, here's his one of his best tracks Ummmm!;

[YOUTUBE]KRwpXDNHLWA[/YOUTUBE]

Next is one of my favourites Klashnekoff. Another young guy who's making moves, he's sounding good, but mixes hip-hop with grime sometimes. He does have potential however, and has even worked with Just Blaze. Here's my favourite track of his My Life;

[YOUTUBE]5j7r98z15FM[/YOUTUBE]

There are more but I don't want to overload you with british rappers, but what did you think of those two?

I was looking at the No Ceilings thread and saw Lil Wayne's Swag Surfin. That reminded me of F.L.Y. who made the original Swag Surfin. Swag Surfin is their most famous song but not their best, imo. I think Party Time is just a whole lot better. If you have heard it disregard this, if you haven't listen up.

[YOUTUBE]LKp3VK2Dk7U[/YOUTUBE]

So if you listened to it, did you like it. Also is there anymore F.L.Y. fans on here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back