Ty Burna's All Hip Hop Thread

The only albums I'm truly looking forward to are Detox & Blueprint 3. I always look forward to some new Dre shit! Is Detox ever gonna drop? Does it have a release date yet? I saw Dre on that Dr. Pepper commercial but shit, I'm ready for some Dr. Dre music. He needs to release a single or something. As far as Blueprint 3 goes, Death Of Autotune is the best single I've heard from Jay in a while.

Of course everyone is looking forward to Detox, but it's been that way for the last 5 years. Until the album is actually released I don't believe it's coming out this year. Another album I can't wait for is Eminem's Relapse 2. It's supposed to have a lot more collaborations on it and if it's like the first one then it will be great.

On a side note Slaughterhouse released their self titled album yesterday and the shit is dope. If you've never listened to them before pickup or download their album because it is sick.

We got less than a month until that new wicked shit from ICP.

Plus, Blaze Ya Dead Homie and Boondox sometime soon.
With Psyhcopathic Records it may be two years tho.

Eminen's cd comes out around the holiday season so I think it will be a flop.
Just a cd for kids to bug mom n dad for, like Encore.

DMX, MC Eight, Mos Def, T.I., Marky Mark, Snoop Dogg, Busta Rhymes, Method Man, Queen Latifah, Ice T, Ice Cube, 2Pac, 50 Cent, Eminen, Ludacris, Common, LL Cool J,
Andre 3000, Will Smith, and others have all been in movies. Some have been good, others you forgot you saw them while the end credits are playing. Ice T( New Jack City)
and Ice Cube(Boyz In Da Hood) are the first I can think of, but I want to know who do you all like the best?

I was thinking of sayin Cube. I liked Boyz In Da Hood and the Friday movies, but his new shit is to kiddie for me.
So, I will say Will Smith is it for me. I always loved The Fresh Prince Of Belair, and liked both M.I.B. Movies. He also put out many other good movies.

I think if Pac was still alive he would be the best. He was good in Poetic Justice and Grid Lock, so I just wonder what he could have done.

So who do you all like or hate?

So Ty, you said to come into the Hip hop thread and of of your posts in my thread really grabbed my attention;

Also it's awesome to see some more old school hip hop fans, it just seems like there is becoming less and less of us around nowadays. It's a shame really because a lot of younger kids getting into hip hop don't know about the history and the artists that broke ground for the genre. A prime example is at a house party I was talking to this guy (now I'm not being racist here, but we all know hip hop was an African American music genre first, and me being white typically your opinion counts less for some reason), but he was African American and I asked him what his favorite rappers were. He named off names such as Lil Wayne, Young Joc, etc. all the rappers that are big now. So I proceeded to ask him what about the legends like Eazy E, NWA, 2pac, Biggie, etc. And he looked at me like I was talking French. He responded with: "Well they're all good rappers, but they're not as good as Wayne or Joc are". That was telling for me, and honestly, I felt pretty old at that point in time where some younger kid is telling me Wayne and Joc are better than Poc or NWA.

It really is a shame, nobody know their history any more. I have a very similar story which I'll share very quickly;

One of my friends is black and considers himself to be a hip hop fan and apparently I know less than him because I am white. Anyway, this guy thinks he knows it all about hip hop, he got in my car the other day and I was playing Ain't No Half Steppin, and he asked who is this? I actually had to explain to him who Big Daddy Kane was, I then played him some Rakim and he said, this guys nowhere near as good as Kanye (you can imagine the look on my face). So I said, name the best 5 rappers ever then, he proceeded to say Lil' Wayne, Kanye West, Drake (YES FUCKING DRAKE), Tupac and Jay-Z. I felt like punching this moron in the face. It would be fair to say I don't to talk to him so much anymore.

It's things like this that depress me most about hip hop today, not the bad music, the mainstream sell outs or the abomination that is autotune, it's the fact that the newer/ younger fans just ignore the history. They don't take the time to listen to older hip hop before making up their minds, they just hear the new Kanye/ Wayne track and consider themselves rap fans.

Anyway, I'll just give you my hip hop background before getting into any discussion. Yes I'm 18, white and from the UK, but that in no way should stop me from being a hip hop fan, I have over 6000 hip hop songs on my itunes and always try to keep up with recent hip hop. Living in the UK, it's harder to keep up with underground/ less well known rappers, but I do my best.

My favourite rappers are Rakim, Nas, B.I.G, Big L, and Pac. I don't rate many of today's rappers, most forget where they came from and only care about getting their songs in the clubs or on people's phones. I seriously doubt hip hop will ever be as good as it was but there's still some talent out there.
My Favourite groups are NWA, Bone Thugs, Run DMC and Wu Tang.
My 5 favourite hip hop albums are;
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx - Raekwon
Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) - Wu- Tang
Reasonable Doubt - Jay-Z
Ready to Die - B.I.G
Illmatic - Nas

Obviously there are a lot more rappers and albums I like, but I don't want to bore you all with it, anyway the question I came to ask was, Do you think Kanye West is the one of the worst things to happen to hip hop?

He never used to bother me that much when he produced or even when he dropped College Dropout & Late Registration. But West has brought so much bad to the game, he almost makes me believe at times that he is killing hip hop.

It all started with dressing 'tight', he then brought us skinny jeans, louis vuitton back packs, those sunglasses and air yeezys, but his clothing style is just the start of the problem.

No matter how you look at it, West is influencing a generation, he's started to sing, he's started to use autotune, he's trying to force young rappers like Big Sean, Kid Cudi, Drake, to all be like him, dress the same way, 'rap' the same way.

Kanye's obviously talented, I am not denying that, but he's causing a lot of damage to hip hop, young rappers don't want to tell a story of their struggles or life on streets, they want to talk about bullshit and just make hits like Kanye.

Now you can blame people like Soulja Boy all you want, but there has always been people like him and he's no major influence and has no longevity, However, West has brought us a terrible dress sense, singing in rap and autotune and he's not going away anytime soon. Young rappers aspire to be him and drop hits like him, hip hops definitely changing and Kanye has a lot to do with it.

Is Kanye West Killing hip hop?

Right now, you can not drive a block in my city without hearing someone bumping one of Lil' Boosie's two next mixtapes (one being a collaboration with Hurricane Chris), especially the song below. Since I'm sure none of you know anything about this stuff, I decided I wanted to post this. The song's called Deebo, a reference to the film Friday. A film in which I have loved to death since I was a kid, I might add, so I do dig the song just for that. What are your thoughts?

[youtube]vxUzGeQkSkU[/youtube]

The song would've been ten times better with Nussie in it though. :(

Also Ty, you never let us know your thoughts on Chamillionaire's Mixtape Messiah 7? I fucking LOVED it. How about you? And are you now with me that Chamillionaire is undoubtedly the best rapper currently in the game right now? :icon_razz:

Oh man Mixtape Messiah 7 was off the hook jmt, that shit was bad ass, I kind of marked out if you will when I saw Michael Watts chopped and screwed the 4 disc of it. Great great album, a fitting way to end the Mixtape Messiah series. As far as Cham being the best in the game today? Yeah in regards to the newer artists coming out I can. I still don't think he's as good as some of the older cats still in the game, but he's definitely the best of the new generation that's for damn sure.

Boosie ain't bad at all, but he can be hit and miss at times for me. Some of shit I enjoy the fuck out of,l while other times the material and songs he writes are below average. That being said that was a tight song, even if Hurricane Chris was on the track.

Boosie ain't bad at all, but he can be hit and miss at times for me. Some of shit I enjoy the fuck out of,l while other times the material and songs he writes are below average. That being said that was a tight song, even if Hurricane Chris was on the track.

Boosie's early work, when he was 15/16/17 years old, are unbelievably great. His two albums from that period, Youngest of Da Camp and For My Thugz, are absolute classics where I'm from. Back then he was consistently awesome, but as you said... today he's extremely hit or miss. Which is a shame because now that Nussie is dead, he's basically the Louisiana's last hope mainstream wise, for now at least. As you mentioned, Hurricane Chris sucks ass. And then you have people like Webbie, who can be okay at times, but completely suck at others. Of course. there's Lil' Wayne, but he's not the artist he use to be. And that's it. New Orleans has no one representing them, when it seems like just yesterday No Limit and Cash Money fucking ruled the entire industry.

But there is one decent local Baton Rouge rapper left out there named Kevin Gates I really like. He has potential, but like almost everyone else... when that deal comes, he'll probably start sucking (ala Boosie). But for now, we can at least enjoy shit like this:

[youtube]332j8plB7F8[/youtube]​

It's sad to say but the New Orleans/Louisiana rap scene has really gone down hill as of late. Back in the 90's you had Master P and No Limit tearing it up, and Cash Money with Juvenile, BG, and Lil Wayne when he was still good. Nowadays Juvenile and BG aren't with Cash Money anymore, neither is Mannie Fresh, Wayne just sold out motherfucking hardcore, Master P turned into a responsible father and decided to talk against the hip hop music he was making in the 90's. Hell you don't even hear about Silkk The Shocker anymore, and I loved the shit he was putting out. All you hear now is about P's brother C-Murder getting locked up for murder charges. That's truly a shame because C-Murder was probably the best rapper out of the No Limit camp.

Really is sad to see, but hopefully Lil Boosie can regain his form and start releasing very solid albums again. I think he needs to get away from making songs with Webbie first and foremost, and then just go to the lab on his own and start writing shit that is real to him instead of trying to make the next club song like everyone else is.

Nowadays Juvenile and BG aren't with Cash Money anymore, neither is Mannie Fresh, Wayne just sold out motherfucking hardcore,

I loved every album Juvenile ever put out up until his last album, Reality Check. I was highly, HIGHLY disappointed with that one. The guy's just trying to be mainstream, and that shit doesn't work. Juvi's still the man though.

As far as BG, man... he just hasn't been right since he left Cash Money and kicked the heroin. The only person who could get good verses out of him after that was Soulja Slim, and now that he's gone... BG just isn't what he use to be lyrically wise. I still respect the living hell out of him as a man though. I don't think there's a realer rapper currently in the game.

Master P turned into a responsible father and decided to talk against the hip hop music he was making in the 90's. Hell you don't even hear about Silkk The Shocker anymore, and I loved the shit he was putting out. All you hear now is about P's brother C-Murder getting locked up for murder charges. That's truly a shame because C-Murder was probably the best rapper out of the No Limit camp.

Man, you can't forget about Mystikal. He was my favorite. Too bad he had to go off and rape someone, because he was the shit. As a Bone Thugs fan... you have to love Mystikal's early work, I would assume? Tremendous stuff. And even his later work wasn't too bad. "Move Bitch" is one of the greatest rap singles on all time, imo. But nothing beats this. Gets me pumped every time I hear it.

[youtube]cl_FIEB_LKk[/youtube]​

I loved every album Juvenile ever put out up until his last album, Reality Check. I was highly, HIGHLY disappointed with that one. The guy's just trying to be mainstream, and that shit doesn't work. Juvi's still the man though.

I'm in the same boat as you jmt, I remember when "Back That Ass Up" came out, it was huge man, I think I was maybe 11 when that song came out. I still got that song on the cruisin play list just because it was such a fun song to bump to. He's trying to go mainstream but I think he should stick with what got him famous in the first place.

As far as BG, man... he just hasn't been right since he left Cash Money and kicked the heroin. The only person who could get good verses out of him after that was Soulja Slim, and now that he's gone... BG just isn't what he use to be lyrically wise. I still respect the living hell out of him as a man though. I don't think there's a realer rapper currently in the game.

Honestly I think BG is actually better now that he ain't getting held down by Baby in Cash Money. Think about it, when the Hot Boyz came out (Juvenile, BG, and Wayne) it was always assumed Juvenile and BG would be the breakout stars from the group while Wayne was never considered that good. Heh man what a little selling out will do. Juvenile is fairly popular in the mainstream, BG has gone to a more underground/independent approach releasing some solid music in the process, and then Lil Wayne....well I think my opinion on him is well known.

Man, you can't forget about Mystikal. He was my favorite. Too bad he had to go off and rape someone, because he was the shit. As a Bone Thugs fan... you have to love Mystikal's early work, I would assume? Tremendous stuff. And even his later work wasn't too bad. "Move Bitch" is one of the greatest rap singles on all time, imo. But nothing beats this. Gets me pumped every time I hear it.

I thought Mystikal would be a given, thus why I didn't need to include him. He was fucking ridiculous with his lyrics, and he was fairly fast on the mic, but just didn't quite have as smooth of a delivery as Bone Thugs did. It seemed like his fast rap would feel a little chopped because he would rap fast, stop and start again. Nothing wrong with that at all, it's just a different style of the fast flow that the Midwest brings to the table. He is a damn good rapper, like you said shame he had to go and get himself arrested. But him and C-Murder being out of the game is hurting the Louisiana/New Orleans rap scene pretty badly. Those two in my opinion along with Silkk were probably the three best from that area. And Silkk you don't hear from anymore.

I'm in the same boat as you jmt, I remember when "Back That Ass Up" came out, it was huge man, I think I was maybe 11 when that song came out. I still got that song on the cruisin play list just because it was such a fun song to bump to. He's trying to go mainstream but I think he should stick with what got him famous in the first place.

In my opinion, "Back That Ass Up" was the biggest rap single in the game since "Crossroads", and it totally brought the industry back to mainsteam single hanidly. I mean, it played all the time on The Box, and it was literally the only rap video making the TRL Top 10, which was back then was huge. Hell, 400 Degreez all around was just incredible. Juvenile doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves.

Honestly I think BG is actually better now that he ain't getting held down by Baby in Cash Money. Think about it, when the Hot Boyz came out (Juvenile, BG, and Wayne) it was always assumed Juvenile and BG would be the breakout stars from the group while Wayne was never considered that good. Heh man what a little selling out will do. Juvenile is fairly popular in the mainstream, BG has gone to a more underground/independent approach releasing some solid music in the process, and then Lil Wayne....well I think my opinion on him is well known.

I agree with almost everything you said. I guess my main gripe with BG today is that he caters more to the ATL than he does to us. You know, with signing with TI, who I loathed by the way, and all that... he's just not the same. But I admit... his first couple albums after leaving Cash Money were very good. Nothing beats Chopper City in the Ghetto though man. That album is nearly on the same level as 400 Degreez.

I thought Mystikal would be a given, thus why I didn't need to include him. He was fucking ridiculous with his lyrics, and he was fairly fast on the mic, but just didn't quite have as smooth of a delivery as Bone Thugs did. It seemed like his fast rap would feel a little chopped because he would rap fast, stop and start again. Nothing wrong with that at all, it's just a different style of the fast flow that the Midwest brings to the table. He is a damn good rapper, like you said shame he had to go and get himself arrested. But him and C-Murder being out of the game is hurting the Louisiana/New Orleans rap scene pretty badly.

Yeah, when you compare the two... it was like Mystikal was the south's version of Bone Thugs when he first came around. As you said, he wasn't nearly as smooth as them, but there was nothing smooth about the south at the time. It was gritty as hell, and when Mystikal stole the show on "Make Em' Say Uhh!", it was like the south FINALLY got a fast rapper. He changed his style once he left No Limit, but he was still dropping hits left and right nevertheless. I miss the dude like hell.

Those two in my opinion along with Silkk were probably the three best from that area. And Silkk you don't hear from anymore.

Except when MVP makes his entrance in WWE. :lmao:

But yeah... I don't know what happened to Silkk. Personally, I wasn't much of a fan of his later work, but Made Man, Charge It 2 Da Game, and The Shocker are all classic albums in my book.

I'm starting to feel like a grumpy old man discussing this. lol

In my opinion, "Back That Ass Up" was the biggest rap single in the game since "Crossroads", and it totally brought the industry back to mainsteam single hanidly. I mean, it played all the time on The Box, and it was literally the only rap video making the TRL Top 10, which was back then was huge. Hell, 400 Degreez all around was just incredible. Juvenile doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves.

That was huge back then, though I guess I never really watched TRL, I usually watched MTV Jams after school, now that was a pretty awesome show when they were doing it right still. That was when Tyrese and DJ Skribble were hosting it. Of course nowadays MTV doesn't even play music videos anymore except when its 1 AM if you're lucky. But that's for another discussion for another day.

I agree with almost everything you said. I guess my main gripe with BG today is that he caters more to the ATL than he does to us. You know, with signing with TI, who I loathed by the way, and all that... he's just not the same. But I admit... his first couple albums after leaving Cash Money were very good. Nothing beats Chopper City in the Ghetto though man. That album is nearly on the same level as 400 Degreez.

Well you know how it is, you get influenced by other artists, and since he signed with TI, well TI is from the ATL so you know BG will start to get that ATL sound instead of his Louisiana sound. I'm not the biggest T.I. fan myself either to be honest, mostly because he was feuding with one of my favorite H Town rappers Lil Flip, but T.I. is just your usual artist who changed his style to a more mainstream effect. His older stuff actually wasn't bad, but his new stuff has been dropping in quality as far as I'm concerned. BG will be ight, I think it was good for him to get away from Cash Money, from the sound of it Juvenile and BG both wanted to get away from there because of shady business that Baby was running. And Wayne is just too fucking stupid to realize that Baby is pimping him out big time. Mannie Fresh probably bailed for the same reason but all he stated was he wanted to help some new artists out instead of producing for Cash Money all the time, aka he wanted to produce his beats on his own terms so he gets more of the cash flow instead of it getting diverted to Baby.

Yeah, when you compare the two... it was like Mystikal was the south's version of Bone Thugs when he first came around. As you said, he wasn't nearly as smooth as them, but there was nothing smooth about the south at the time. It was gritty as hell, and when Mystikal stole the show on "Make Em' Say Uhh!", it was like the south FINALLY got a fast rapper. He changed his style once he left No Limit, but he was still dropping hits left and right nevertheless. I miss the dude like hell.

I can't say I was a huge fan of Mystikal, don't get me wrong I"m just sayin I never really got a chance to get into his music, but what I listened to I enjoyed immensely. I'm so used to that fast rapping so Mystikal fit into that style very nicely. Speaking of No Limit and Bone, you remember that song P and Silkk did with Bone Thugs called Hook It Up?

Now that was a bad ass song, I guess now that I'm looking they did another song together called Til We Dead and Gone. I haven't checked it out yet but I'll throw the video on here (Gotta keep the volume level down at work and all).

Except when MVP makes his entrance in WWE. :lmao:

But yeah... I don't know what happened to Silkk. Personally, I wasn't much of a fan of his later work, but Made Man, Charge It 2 Da Game, and The Shocker are all classic albums in my book.

I'm starting to feel like a grumpy old man discussing this. lol

:lmao: I completely forgot he did MVP's theme, but that's the point though, other than MVP's theme song, what the hell else has he done lately? Not much as far as I know. Maybe he'll make a comeback one day, but it looks like most of the members of No Limit are kind of getting out of the game, one way or another.

I know what ya mean, especially when I start complaining about the new hip hop out there, if you look at the very first post of this thread you'll see what I'm saying. But it's good to know we got another old school hip hop fan around the boards, and one that's got a different point of view, well at least geographically speaking. We got X out on the east coast, Big Sexy and I are from the Midwest, FTS is from Texas, some of the other regulars here I'm not sure of, but it's cool to have a New Orleans/Baton Rouge/Louisiana hip hop fan because y'all had some banging music coming from down there in the 90's.

Well you know how it is, you get influenced by other artists, and since he signed with TI, well TI is from the ATL so you know BG will start to get that ATL sound instead of his Louisiana sound. I'm not the biggest T.I. fan myself either to be honest, mostly because he was feuding with one of my favorite H Town rappers Lil Flip, but T.I. is just your usual artist who changed his style to a more mainstream effect.

His feud with Flip is what originally turned me off from him as well, as there was a two/three year period where Lil' Flip was by and large my favorite rapper. I bump The Leprechaun and Underground Legend to this very day. But Flip is another one whose new stuff just doesn't click with me like his old.

But yeah... TI will most likely always suck in my mind. The dude is just too one dimensional, but gets praised like he's the next 2Pac.

His older stuff actually wasn't bad, but his new stuff has been dropping in quality as far as I'm concerned. BG will be ight, I think it was good for him to get away from Cash Money, from the sound of it Juvenile and BG both wanted to get away from there because of shady business that Baby was running. And Wayne is just too fucking stupid to realize that Baby is pimping him out big time. Mannie Fresh probably bailed for the same reason but all he stated was he wanted to help some new artists out instead of producing for Cash Money all the time, aka he wanted to produce his beats on his own terms so he gets more of the cash flow instead of it getting diverted to Baby.

Well, they've all made up since then.

The story is that BG was addicted to heroin, and because of this, Baby refused to pay him because he thought of it as supporting the habit. On one hand I can see where Baby was coming from, but at the end of the day.. that is BG's money and he can do whatever he pleases with it. And Juvenile just supported BG in the whole ordeal, and so did Turk. Lil' Wayne was the one who stuck with Baby for whatever reason, and Baby's lucky as shit he did otherwise his career would be over. And as far as Mannie Fresh... he left on good terms. He just wanted to try his own thing. I respect him for that.

Speaking of No Limit and Bone, you remember that song P and Silkk did with Bone Thugs called Hook It Up?

Damn... I haven't heard or thought about that song in YEARS! Haha... great trip down memory lane there.

I guess now that I'm looking they did another song together called Til We Dead and Gone. I haven't checked it out yet but I'll throw the video on here (Gotta keep the volume level down at work and all).

This, however, I've heard over a 1,000 times as The Last Don is something that is bump worthy to this very day. It's Master P's second best album, in my opinion, right behind Mr. Ice Cream Man, and that song with Bone is one of my favorites from the entire album. I hope you got a chance to listen to it. Bone raps well to that old school Louisiana beat. Too bad they couldn't have worked more together. I also wish we could've gotten a collaboration with Bone and the Hot Boys back in the day as well. That would've been awesome.

I completely forgot he did MVP's theme, but that's the point though, other than MVP's theme song, what the hell else has he done lately? Not much as far as I know. Maybe he'll make a comeback one day, but it looks like most of the members of No Limit are kind of getting out of the game, one way or another.

Silkk, from what I understand, is a really, really, REALLY good guy. I mean, Master P hasn't done jackshit for C-Murder since he was incarcerated, but C has said that's alright because whenever he's needed anything, all he would have to do is call up Silkk and he'd provide anything C-Murder needed. That speaks highly of Silkk's character and really makes me respect him as a man.

So, with him being such a family man, I would guess that his kids are growing up and instead of putting out rap albums, he's focusing on being a father right now.

I know what ya mean, especially when I start complaining about the new hip hop out there, if you look at the very first post of this thread you'll see what I'm saying.

It's just funny because I'm sure you were like me years ago and always thought you'd never be the type of person to bitch about the present state of things when it comes to music. I use to fucking hate people like that, and now I'm one of them. :lmao:

But it's good to know we got another old school hip hop fan around the boards, and one that's got a different point of view, well at least geographically speaking. We got X out on the east coast, Big Sexy and I are from the Midwest, FTS is from Texas, some of the other regulars here I'm not sure of, but it's cool to have a New Orleans/Baton Rouge/Louisiana hip hop fan because y'all had some banging music coming from down there in the 90's.

Yes, it's something else. I sincerely doubt any other wrestling forum is that diverse when it comes to being fans of hip-hop. It's quite remarkable, really.

Since you mentioned Master P, remember Kane & Abel? I was a big fan. The Gangstafied single is what got me hooked. Most of their No Limit appearances were standout as far as I'm concerned. They only released two albums(7 Sins, Am I My Brother's Keeper) before they left No Limit though. I can't say that I blame them with the way the roster was steady growing. Add to the fact that the were pushing out new releases at such a rapid paste that no one album(outside any not directly including P or Sillk) got the focus they deserved. That's one of things that hurt No Limit in the long run. Any way, Kane & Able did start their own label, Most Wanted Records before serving a bid. When they got out they started writing novels as well as writing, directing, & starring in their own movies. In fact, they have six movies set to be released this year.

Gangstafied
[youtube]VpwYK_QZyxg[/youtube]

Since you mentioned Master P, remember Kane & Abel?

Of course I do! They're the UGK of New Orleans, man. I have the Rise to Power, Am I My Brothers Keeper, and Most Wanted albums to this very day. I was a very big fan of their style. They had great voices, and their verses would just flow so smoothly, more so than anyone in the south at the time. But they were also some badass motherfuckers as well. Songs like Drama, Somebody Gotta Pay, etc. never fail to get me pumped up, lol.

Unfortunately, they haven't been around for quite sometime. I really don't know what happened to them. Most greats from No Limit who aren't around anymore have a story like Mac, Magic, Fiend, etc... but those guys just disappeared.

Guess who's back. Yup I believe it's time to bring the Hip Hop thread from it's dormancy that it has been enduring for awhile. It's not good when we have 5 days in between posts here when we had a steady stream going for awhile. So with that being said:

I've been thinking about something lately, and it really came from the argument FTS, JMT, X, and myself had in X's bar room thread. It stemmed from me asking what artist I should profile next here in the hip hop thread, and X made a ton of suggestions from the East Coast, while FTS made a suggestion for a southern rapper, specifically H Town. This started a 2-3 page war between the four of us because it broke down into a regional fight. So what I'm bringing up here is, why do we have to fight about which region is the best?

It's obvious that some regions are better at certain aspects of rap then others are. For instance, the East Coast may have started hip hop, and arguably have the better lyricists, but they also have a slower style of rapping and are more methodical in their approach. Meanwhile you have the West Coast which is a little faster than the East Coast, often times not as lyrical as the East Coast, but I could say makes better party/uptempo music, and one could argue brought Gangsta Rap to the forefront of hip hop.

Meanwhile you have the Midwest who brings the fastest flows and beats in the game, has some of the vicious rhymers, and yet are not as known lyrically and often times the listener gets confused because of the speed. The south is fairly diverse, all the way from Chopped and Screwed to Crunk, to the other extremely diverse artists. What I'm getting at is that each region has a very distinct and different sound from one another. That much is obvious, however can we consider our love for our respective region's hip hop a cultural thing? You could argue yes, but I think it's more along the lines of we have a better ability to get that music locally rather than mainstream. Take for instance FTS saying he got into Houston hip hop when he was able to get his hands on the infamous Screw Tapes. As for me I was surrounded by people that loved Bone Thugs-n-Harmony and introduced to Tech N9ne from a girl from Kansas City. So we grow up listening to the hip hop in our region and we get used to that. That's why I think we all defend to the death our region when it comes to hip hop rather than concede a damn thing.

I'm really not sure where I'm exactly heading with this, but I just wanted to type a shit ton about this subject randomly, and I know it's not going to be seen as a "great" post because of it, but fuck it, I don't care. So let me end this post this way.

Is there any major reason you prefer a region's hip hop over another regions' style? Is there something about the East, West, South, or Midwest that you don't like or something in a specific regional style that you prefer over another? Hit the thread up I want to see what kind of discussion we could bring in here.

It's basically like you said, hip hop fans are always going to be partial to the music from their regions. A lot of it is because they get to hear all of the artists in the region and not just the mainstream ones. I see FTS always bringing up Houston rappers that he says are very good and I've never heard of a lot them. Just like if I bring up names like Royce Da 5'9, Elzhi, and Slum Village a lot of people that aren't from the mid west won't know who they are.

It also seems like peoples favorite rappers come from the region in which they live. My favorite rapper is Eminem and he's from the mid west. Ty, I know you love Bone Thugs who are from the mid west. X is always bringing up Nas who is on the east coast, and FTS is always bringing up Z-Ro from Houston.

I think the main reason we prefer one region over another is because of where we grew up and what we are exposed to the most.

All music is regional. My favorite rock n roll band is always going to be Skynard. Southern Rock is definitely different, and like southern rap, it focuses on rhythm and story telling. East Coast rap is like east coast punk, they are both deep, always searching for meaning in life while providing meaning in lyrics.

The thing about rap being regional, moreso than other music, is that rappers identify themselves with their region. Listening to rap allows one to identify more with the artist than any other genre of music. Rappers get into the same trouble, spend the same time looking for dope, and go to the same clubs we do.

I think that this is my favorite part of rap. I identify with Z-Ro when he raps about Missouri City, Texas, because I grew up in Missouri City, TX. When he says don't disrespect the stop sign, I could get to the bullet hole ridden stop sign right now. I know about Ridgemont 4. Rap gives the listener a sense of belonging. Rock did the same in the 60's. The 70's focused on esoteric music, and that brought listeners together, the 80's focused on party music, and that brought strangers together, the 90's focused on loneliness and it brought sufferers together. I don't think there is any doubt that this decade has been all about rap, and it brings listeners in with the performer. People relate, and that's why rap might dominate the next decade as well.

As I've mentioned before in this very thread, being a fan of hip-hop/rap, whatever you want to call it, officially started for me with MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice when I was just a child. Those were the very first musicians I ever really liked, so it shouldn't be surprising that later on, I would grow up to become a huge fan of the genre.

In the 4th Grade, "Crossroads" was released and it became my favorite song. I fucking LOVED it. And after it was released, I wanted to become more a fan of this music, and the only place to start at the time where I was from was the New Orleans scene, Master P and TRU in particular. So when I got into Bone and picked up E 1999 Eternal, I also got a copy of Mr. Ice Cream Man by Master P to go along with it. And after that, I was an avid follower of No Limit and eventually, Cash Money.

As the years went on, New Orleans rap all but died by the time I was in high school. A guy named Lil' Boosie was the one making all the noise in my area, and he instantly became one of my and everyone else in Baton Rouge's favorite.

However, at this time was also the insurgence of Houston. I had a cousin who moved there when he was in middle school, and I would visit him for about a month every summer. And it was during those visits where I would become a fan of the underground rappers in Houston. I mean, before that there was of course some great songs released nationally out of the area with "Knockin' Pictures off the Wall" by Yungstar and one of my favorite tracks to this day, "Wannabe a Baller" by Lil' Troy. But it seemed like Houston was really just a two hit wonder. However, when Lil' Flip released 'The Leprechaun', in particular "I Can Do That", everybody in my city was on his jock, including myself.

But anyway, to answer the question, it's just like rooting for a hometown team I guess. You always want to see people from your area be successful, so of course you're always going to be a bit biased towards them. There's just that pride thing where yeah, this music came from someone who just lived right down the block from me. Hell, one of the scenes on Webbie's "Give Me That" was shot on the street I was raised on and the street my mother lives to this day. I mean, that's just fucking cool and you're going to dig shit like that.

One thing I wonder, however, is if we would be like this if East Coast vs. West Coast never went down? I mean, before that, was there any of this comparison between artists from different cities? I mean, you don't hear someone saying the rock scene in New York is better than the rock scene in Seattle. You just don't hear it, but when it comes to rap? Shit, it's always brought up and I think that all started with 2Pac vs. Biggie. If that never happens, do we care whether or not our aread is the best there is, or would it all go ignored?

One thing I wonder, however, is if we would be like this if East Coast vs. West Coast never went down? I mean, before that, was there any of this comparison between artists from different cities? I mean, you don't hear someone saying the rock scene in New York is better than the rock scene in Seattle. You just don't hear it, but when it comes to rap? Shit, it's always brought up and I think that all started with 2Pac vs. Biggie. If that never happens, do we care whether or not our aread is the best there is, or would it all go ignored?

This is what I was hoping someone would bring up, props to you JMT. I think this definitely was a huge proponent of why we always have the regional dispute. Sure we may have classified rap as West Coast Hip Hop, East Coast Hip Hop etc, but it wouldn't have been as nearly as big of thing as it is today. I think generally we'd just take groups based on their style alone instead of grouping them into regional styles. Obviously even if two artists from the same region may sound similar in style, they still have differences that make them unique. Instead we resort to arguing about why a general style of a region is better than the other.

To give you an example, Chamillionaire and Trae are both from Houston, yet their styles are quite a bit different. You could do this for any region, yet somehow they still get grouped together overall just because of their location. So now with that being said, I don't think most people consider the city the rapper is from, but I also think that the importance would have been less if the West Coast/East Coast feud never happened. What's your take on that y'all?

This is what I was hoping someone would bring up, props to you JMT. I think this definitely was a huge proponent of why we always have the regional dispute. Sure we may have classified rap as West Coast Hip Hop, East Coast Hip Hop etc, but it wouldn't have been as nearly as big of thing as it is today. I think generally we'd just take groups based on their style alone instead of grouping them into regional styles. Obviously even if two artists from the same region may sound similar in style, they still have differences that make them unique. Instead we resort to arguing about why a general style of a region is better than the other.

To give you an example, Chamillionaire and Trae are both from Houston, yet their styles are quite a bit different. You could do this for any region, yet somehow they still get grouped together overall just because of their location. So now with that being said, I don't think most people consider the city the rapper is from, but I also think that the importance would have been less if the West Coast/East Coast feud never happened. What's your take on that y'all?

Well Ty, I'm a few years older than you guys & I can remember there being some beef when rappers from Miami started blowing up back in the late 80's/early 90's. I remember Debonaire from the Poison Clam mentioning it in a song on their first album. I think the regional dispute will always exist in one form or another. The East Coast/West Coast thing just took it to another level. If the media hadn't blown it up, things wouldn't have escalated to such & maybe Biggie & Pac would still be alive!

Well Ty, I'm a few years older than you guys & I can remember there being some beef when rappers from Miami started blowing up back in the late 80's/early 90's. I remember Debonaire from the Poison Clam mentioning it in a song on their first album. I think the regional dispute will always exist in one form or another. The East Coast/West Coast thing just took it to another level. If the media hadn't blown it up, things wouldn't have escalated to such & maybe Biggie & Pac would still be alive!

That may be true, regional differences may have still existed, but would there have been as much attention to them? I don't think there would have been. I mean take a look at the drama that started up when Nas named his album Hip Hop Is Dead. Suddenly most of the South united against the East Coast, but everyone tried to play it safe so as not to have anything major go down. I'll admit, beefs are a prevalent part of Hip Hop, but the thing with the East Coast/West Coast thing is that actual violence and death of two big name artists heightened the beef thing to extremes. And why did that start? A misunderstanding if you believe some, a set up if you believe the other side. That feud however put hip hop feuds into the limelight, where as in the past it wasn't the focus of hip hop. Nowadays if a feud is going on, it's almost as if the music doesn't matter anymore, who's in the feud and what the respective parties are saying about each other is what's more important.

Feuds have been going down for a number of years now, and looking back at it, the Bridge Wars was probably your first "regional" dispute even though it all took place in New York. That beef was between Queensbridge and The Bronx, over where hip hop started. That broke down and ended up with someone being murdered, similar to the East Coast/West Coast feud. However, were the people involved in that feud as big or in the limelight as Biggie and 2pac were? I love KRS One and all, and a lot of people involved are hip hop legends, but they weren't even close to the popularity 2pac and Biggie had. You know, looking at it, it's obvious regional feuds have gone on for awhile, and will continue to for a long time, but it's the East Coast/West Coast feud that put those feuds front and center, and if that feud hadn't happened, perhaps they wouldn't be as important as they are today and not overshadowing the actual music that gave any region popularity for their style of hip hop.

I wasn't disagreeing Ty, just pointing out my first experiences with regional feuding. The New York Miami thing is where it started for me. Certain rappers in New York didn't like the ones from Miami was starting to get noticed. I agree with a lot of the points you make. As far as the East Coast/West Coast thing, it was going to happen eventually, but the Biggie/Pac feud didn't have & it damn sure shouldn't have led to two people dying. I don't know if Biggie had anything to do with Pac getting shot in NY, but I don't think he did. You're right the feuds wil probably continue for a while, but they don't have to overshadow the music, or lead to violence.

It's simply been far too long since I've come into this thread. I apologize for that Ty my man, but the discussion you and JMT were having was so good that I felt there was simply nothing I could add to the conversation.

Lately I've been rocking a lot of mid-90s New York and East Coast rap (yeah I know, big surprise right?). Alot of Tribe, Brand Nubian, Crooklyn Dodgers, Jeru the Damaja, O.C., AZ, Paris, Nas, Big L, DITC Crew, Black Star, shit like that. Definitely my favorite time period and genre of rap there. The shit New York was producing in the 90s was ridiculous, and I didn't even mention Wu-Tang or Mobb Deep.

Anyways, a while back in this thread I remember someone bringing up favorite diss songs, and as I was listening to one of my favorites, I figured why not bring it into the shrine of hip-hop goodness that is this thread?

Common. I know alot of people think he's gone to shit (and honestly I'd probably have to agree with that statement), but back in the day he was one of the best up-and-comers on the alternative rap scene. One of the ways he really made a name for himself, which people forget now that Common has taken this almost bourgeoisie-rap gimmick (Gap commercials man? For shame!), was his feud with Ice Cube and the Westside Connection. It takes a hell of a rap to rip up a legend like Cube, but in this song right here Common really introduced his talents to the world and showed that he had the skills to one-up one of the greatest in Cube. Though alot of what makes this song great is likely the fantastic Pete Rock beat. There are few better producers than Rock.

Common - The Bitch in Yoo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back