Ty Burna's All Hip Hop Thread

Hello, I am new to the forum but I am a huge rap fan both mainstream and underground. I am a pretty picky rap fan. I don't just like anything that is rap, it has to be good. I have to like their voice for starters, the beats, and most importantly not what they are saying but how they deliver what is being said. I have been freestyling for quite a long time as well, it's kind of an art and an acquired skill the more you do it. I am pretty excited to see that there is an area dedicated to my favorite genre of music. To commemorate this arrival I give you a song from a little know underground artist named, Markaus. Tell me what you think.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/951tSj4fCO4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/951tSj4fCO4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Ever since i moved from Chicago to Jacksonville I've been listening to a rapper named Lil V I even met and hung out with him. He's a cool dude and a good rapper I was wondering if anyone else on here has heard of him.

Eminem's Recovery album leaked a couple days ago and it is very good. This is definitely the best he has been since Eminem Show. He even references in a couple songs the fact that Encore sucked and Relapse wasn't as good as he wanted it to be. He's back now more then ever and I couldn't be happier. To all the people who hated his last couple albums and thought he lost it, you need to listen to this album.

Wow. I'm listening to "Oh Boy" by Cam'Ron and the Diplomats. Hahaha. I'm feeling nostalgic right now man. This song got SO MUCH FUCKING PLAY around here. Every dude had it bumpin' in the stereo. The beat is strange, but catchy.

EDIT: Yeah, how the fuck did I not mention Recovery leaking? The album is amazing. Absolutely amazing. I literally love something new about it everytime I listen to it. It's been on repeat for 3-4 days. Constantly. I've listened to nothing else. I'm nearly convinced it's his best album to date. Just like Big Sexy said, he says in a few songs that Encore was trash. Like.. "I was on drugs during Encore, coming off drugs on Relapse, now i'm clean on this one." Something to that effect. I'm a very pleased Eminem fan, he's back in full effect. Any fan of Eminem, of rap in general forreal won't be disappointed by this album.

I have yet to hear a Cam'Ron song I actually liked. In my opinion, the dude is one of the worst rappers of all time. He is/was absolutely garbage.

Anyways, I downloaded Recovery a couple of days ago and if I say so myself, it is awesome. It's definitely by far Em's best album since The Eminem Show; songs like Cold Wind Blows, No Love, Cinderella Man, 25 to Life, and Almost Famous are the reason why that is. And while those are my favorite songs, the rest of the album isn't bad, either. He really delivered on this one, and I'm glad he showed the World that he is still one of the best rappers around today, let alone of all time.

Quick speak on Cam'ron, haven't been a fan of his at all, ever. As far as Dipset goes in general, Juelz Santana ain't bad, Jim Jones can be decent....and I think that's about all I got.

And damn you all. Now I have to go download Eminem's album and see what all the fuss is about. His last few albums have been mediocre as far as I'm concerned, but if it's good as y'all says it is, well I'll give it a shot. I'll do my best to keep an unbiased ear and maybe you'll squeeze a review out of me for it.

As far as what I'm banging in the car lately, it's Kutt Calhoun's new album Raw & UnKutt. So far from what I've listened to, it's a solid street banger. And when I say street banger, I mean that motherfucker bangs (as long as you have a system in your vehicle.) The tracks are bass heavy and has a good selection of uptempo songs that get you hyped up. He also has a few more introspective tracks as well. I'm planning on a proper review once I get a chance to sit down and write it out.

Anyways, I downloaded Recovery a couple of days ago and if I say so myself, it is awesome. It's definitely by far Em's best album since The Eminem Show; songs like Cold Wind Blows, No Love, Cinderella Man, 25 to Life, and Almost Famous are the reason why that is. And while those are my favorite songs, the rest of the album isn't bad, either. He really delivered on this one, and I'm glad he showed the World that he is still one of the best rappers around today, let alone of all time.

I'd add in Talkin to Myself as I think it along with Almost Famous and Cinderella Man are the top three songs. WTP is also crazy lyrically. The hook on the song isn't great but it had some tight verses. Not really a bad song on the whole album though.

If we are talking about what we're slappin in the trunk then I'll say I'm slapping J. Stalin and his lastest cd Prenuptial Agreement. Its a dope cd, and Lyrical Exercise 2 is probably my favorite song on it. That and G in Me.

As far as Camron goes, until now I never really heard of him. I honestly don't listen to anything outside of the bay and haven't for a long time. I looked up Camron on youtube and have to agree with the feeling that this dude is garbage. I didn't hear anything that sounded close to decent. Probably why I don't listen to the radio anymore.

And I've heard a lot about Em's new cd around different sites and what not. I didn't listen to any of his past albums and I don't really want to go and look them up but I'd like to hear what was the problem. I plan on checking out his new cd seeing how its getting pretty high marks here.

Yeah, I fucking hate Cam'Ron. I was just saying that I saw his "Oh Boy" video ondemand and had to watch it. As for Shady's new album; my favorite song may be "Space Bound." The lyrics are beautiful, and I can relate to them in a way, the chorus is sung by.. whoever. It's pretty sick too. The whole song is great.

I have yet to hear a Cam'Ron song I actually liked. In my opinion, the dude is one of the worst rappers of all time. He is/was absolutely garbage.

^^^THIS. A while ago, a friend actually was able to persuade me into buying Killa Season(one of Cam'Ron's albums) and man did it suck. He had maybe one or two catchy songs on the entire album, but everything else was absolutely horrible, and he actually ruined the Get 'Em Daddy remix. It was actually a good song, but then his verse ruined everything. I remember laughing very hard when he took shots at Jay-Z for screwing over Damon Dash, stealing Kanye West, and other things. I'm not too crazy about Jay-Z, but Cam'Ron isn't on his level. He never was and he never will be.

I actually like Juelz Santana. I have a couple of his mixtapes, and some of them are actually pretty good. Jim Jones can be okay at times, and the rest of the Dipset crew is either mediocre or terrible. Outside of Jones and Santana, Hell Rell is probably the only one worth listening to.

Hell Rell is actually pretty decent. I know I have an album somewhere in my collection and I was pleasently surprised by it. I completely forgot Hell Rell was in Dipset. As far Cam'ron calling out Jay-Z, that made me chuckle. I'm not a fan of Jay by any means, but at least he can put a good song together, all Cam'ron has ever done is put complete shit out on an overpaid for beat.

So, i'm listening to "B.o.B Presents: The Adventures of Bobby Ray" and it's not that bad. I bought a iPod deck for my new iPod Touch and i'm blasting this song off the album called "Bet I" by B.o.B ft T.I & Playboy Tre. Pretty sweet. The album got pretty good reviews, it's actually pretty cool. Give it a little listen.

Alright, y'all have the absolute right to call me out on this shit, but if anyone's mentioned Jay Electronica in the thread before and I didn't pay attention, I apologize. Like I need to buy you drinks for a night to make up for it. In other words, I decided to give him a try.

Holy...fucking....shit. This man has skills on the mic. Why, WHY for the love of God why did I not pay attention to this man before. And here's the crazy thing, he's never released a full retail album, just releasing random songs on Myspace and random forums on the net. But, just listening to one song had me hooked and an immediate download was required of anything that could be found of him. This man right here if he ever gets down to it and releases a proper album, I believe could be the future of hip hop that I want to see. Not some sappy ass Drake bullshit that so many are riding on, not the auto tune bullshit that has plagued not only hip hop, but given us shit artists across different genres now, but a man who can put together rhymes like it was back in the late 80's with the likes of KRS-One, Rakim, etc.

So please, PLEASE I beg of you, give this man a listen if you haven't already, I have become a Jay Electronica fan, and it took 5 minutes.

[YOUTUBE]GezNFRgVkHg[/YOUTUBE]

Ty, man. I just heard Tech's lead single off his new collabo album. You heard anything about it?

The album is called 'The Gates Mixed Plate.' The song is called "OG" and it's pretty badass. It's got a pretty badass beat bumpin', and Tech of course doesn't disappoint. You'll definitely have your head nodding to the beat.

[youtube]Cxu6PbvijrI[/youtube]

Ty, man. I just heard Tech's lead single off his new collabo album. You heard anything about it?

The album is called 'The Gates Mixed Plate.' The song is called "OG" and it's pretty badass. It's got a pretty badass beat bumpin', and Tech of course doesn't disappoint. You'll definitely have your head nodding to the beat.

[youtube]Cxu6PbvijrI[/youtube]

Yup heard of it, Tech's FB page has been promoting the hell out of it, I just haven't had the opportunity or the memory to remember to check it out. The Gates Mixed Plate is going to be a damn good album I'm expecting, but really Tech's been on his game for the last five or six albums he's released.

That is one major thing I like about Tech, he doesn't fuck around with mixtapes, but still puts out two quality albums a year, not to mention the ridiculous amount of touring he puts in. He works his ass off and getting his label to the be the top independent hip hop label is a testament to his work ethic.

Alright, y'all have the absolute right to call me out on this shit, but if anyone's mentioned Jay Electronica in the thread before and I didn't pay attention, I apologize. Like I need to buy you drinks for a night to make up for it. In other words, I decided to give him a try.

Holy...fucking....shit. This man has skills on the mic. Why, WHY for the love of God why did I not pay attention to this man before. And here's the crazy thing, he's never released a full retail album, just releasing random songs on Myspace and random forums on the net. But, just listening to one song had me hooked and an immediate download was required of anything that could be found of him. This man right here if he ever gets down to it and releases a proper album, I believe could be the future of hip hop that I want to see. Not some sappy ass Drake bullshit that so many are riding on, not the auto tune bullshit that has plagued not only hip hop, but given us shit artists across different genres now, but a man who can put together rhymes like it was back in the late 80's with the likes of KRS-One, Rakim, etc.

So please, PLEASE I beg of you, give this man a listen if you haven't already, I have become a Jay Electronica fan, and it took 5 minutes.

I heard him for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I was at work and the radio was on and this dude was harping Jay Eletronica as the new best lyricist in the game. They talked about how he's from New Orleans, but grew up in New York and many other places, blah, blah, blah. After about 10 minutes of this, they finally played Exhibit A.

Now, yes... his lyrics are impressive, but man... it just too much of an East Coast feel to that song for me to love it. It's the same for a lot of music... I cannot stand East Coast beats. It's why I could never get into guys like KRS-One and Rakim. You could argue that's stupid, but meh... that's just my taste, I guess.

Anyway, when I got home that night I looked up more on him and I was disappointed to find out he's been in the game for quite a while, but has just been stingy as shit with his music. Either it takes him a week to write one verse, or he just keeps holding out to release an official album to be an asshole, I don't know, lol. But, when that album is finally released, then yeah... I will definitely check it out.

Ok so I'm going promote a bay area rapper by the name of Husalah of the Mob Figaz. Since being released, he has been pacing his music, coming out with some slapps. He is one of my favorite "yay area" dudes. Here's what he's come out with since his release.

[youtube]XS9Qc6yuL3Q[/youtube]

[youtube]fHZMOGj8XVA[/youtube]

[youtube]q6Ip16i2MgY[/youtube]p

I don't know how much you know of bay area ra, or if its even your thing. But I think it was time to start adding some different kind of flavor here. SSC talked about Andre Nickatina, and he is one the top rap artist not just in the bay, but just out there right now. Husalah is another one of those guys whose big here in the bay. I post later with some some of his old stuff, shit he's done with the Mob Figaz, Jacka in particular, and his solo joints. I plan on bringing a different artist in every time, just to get everyone acquainted with some Bay joints.

Hey I liestened to jay electonica he may be my new favorite rapper that dude is sick, I liestened to the new eminem cd and it is so pop sounding it's terrible, if that's were the sound of rap is going I may be done liestening to mainstream rap

Hell Rell is actually pretty decent. I know I have an album somewhere in my collection and I was pleasently surprised by it. I completely forgot Hell Rell was in Dipset. As far Cam'ron calling out Jay-Z, that made me chuckle. I'm not a fan of Jay by any means, but at least he can put a good song together, all Cam'ron has ever done is put complete shit out on an overpaid for beat.

When he was running with Big L as "Killa Cam" he was sick, same w/Mase, when he was w/L he was "Murda Mase" and he was sick as fuck, when L died, Mase became a fucking preacher (which is cool....... i guess) and started making gospel rap (whatever the fuck that is) and Cam started dicking around and making pure shit. Whatta shame. The link below is to a song "8 is enuff" if you or anyone wants to check "Killa Cam" out Im pretty sure his is the 6th verse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soTya8ZB3VU

EDIT: Im now positive his verse is the 6th.

Ok Ty or Big Sexy, you guys seem to have more knowledge about rap everywhere than I do. I admit I only listen to what's out here in the Bay and know little on the outside, by choice. However, while chiilin with one of my boys, he threw on a track that I honestly never heard before, with a type of hip hop new to me. This was it.

[youtube]rzCUI85qypc[/youtube]

Well, I must say this was something I was diggin. A completely different type of hip hop, something that I could contrast my bay music. I also heard another track.

[youtube]rpRrKxHKd0E[/youtube]

Again something else new, different, and I was really feelin. Now I looked up these songs and artist and realized that I'm pretty late to the jazz hip hop scene. These guys are even together anymore. My question for you Ty or Big, hell anyone who posts in this hip hop thread, is if they know of any newer artists, songs that are jazz hip hop? I find the sounds incredible, and while I knew jazz and the like are what hip hop is, I've never heard a jazz song with hip hop in it like this. Anything you guys know and could fill me in on would be appreciated.

Again something else new, different, and I was really feelin. Now I looked up these songs and artist and realized that I'm pretty late to the jazz hip hop scene. These guys are even together anymore. My question for you Ty or Big, hell anyone who posts in this hip hop thread, is if they know of any newer artists, songs that are jazz hip hop? I find the sounds incredible, and while I knew jazz and the like are what hip hop is, I've never heard a jazz song with hip hop in it like this. Anything you guys know and could fill me in on would be appreciated.

I'll check your videos out as soon as I get home from work today. I have no rule against listening to music at work, but I gotta keep it airwave friendly so I'm leery about listening to most of my hip hop music at work.

Anyway getting back to your discussion, I've been trying to find new artists here and there as of late, and most of it has been going towards underground political and philosophical rap, but this jazz hip hop intrigues me. Now just saying jazz hip hop is kind of ironic/funny to me because hip hop was based off jazz and disco origins. That being said however, I am a big fan of jazz and obviously a HUGE fan of hip hop, so this combination of the two may just be something I could dig immensely. Once I get a chance tonight man, I'll look into this subgenre for you and once I get a good feel of the artists available out there, I'll hit you up with some solid suggestions. Thanks for bringing some new artists to light, hell a different style of hip hop to my eyes.

I'll check your videos out as soon as I get home from work today. I have no rule against listening to music at work, but I gotta keep it airwave friendly so I'm leery about listening to most of my hip hop music at work.

Anyway getting back to your discussion, I've been trying to find new artists here and there as of late, and most of it has been going towards underground political and philosophical rap, but this jazz hip hop intrigues me. Now just saying jazz hip hop is kind of ironic/funny to me because hip hop was based off jazz and disco origins. That being said however, I am a big fan of jazz and obviously a HUGE fan of hip hop, so this combination of the two may just be something I could dig immensely. Once I get a chance tonight man, I'll look into this subgenre for you and once I get a good feel of the artists available out there, I'll hit you up with some solid suggestions. Thanks for bringing some new artists to light, hell a different style of hip hop to my eyes.

For sure man. I thought you would have been in the know because the songs I put on were from early 2005 I believe, could be wrong. So I knew I was behind on this movement. But glad to bring some new stuff to the table. Hopefully you and whoever else hasn't heard of this dig it too.

So, just finished listening to Drake's "Thank Me Later" album. Man from some of the stuff I was hearing from my fellow hip-hop heads on here I was expecting a terrible album, but what I found was actually pretty solid. The only thing that holds the album, and Drake in general, back is the production which sometimes strays into purely pop/R&B territory, which I'm not a fan of. The actual lyrical content itself is for the most part pretty damn good, sometimes even stellar with some of the punchlines he uses. Not a classic or anything, but a solid album with a few very good songs, "Light Up" with Jay-Z probably being the highlight in my opinion, really good song.

I don't get why everyone wants to hate on this kid so much, I mean shit I'll admit I used to hate on him a bit as well, but he's really grown on me with a very unique flow and solid lyrics. Get rid of the pop and R&B production bits and this album would probably be called a new classic (it's gotten pretty high critical praise thus far).

2010 has been a strange and sad year for hip hop with the loss of Guru, but I remain hopeful for the future. I've got this feeling a new generation of hip-hop is set to explode soon.

So, just finished listening to Drake's "Thank Me Later" album. Man from some of the stuff I was hearing from my fellow hip-hop heads on here I was expecting a terrible album, but what I found was actually pretty solid. The only thing that holds the album, and Drake in general, back is the production which sometimes strays into purely pop/R&B territory, which I'm not a fan of. The actual lyrical content itself is for the most part pretty damn good, sometimes even stellar with some of the punchlines he uses. Not a classic or anything, but a solid album with a few very good songs, "Light Up" with Jay-Z probably being the highlight in my opinion, really good song.

I don't get why everyone wants to hate on this kid so much, I mean shit I'll admit I used to hate on him a bit as well, but he's really grown on me with a very unique flow and solid lyrics. Get rid of the pop and R&B production bits and this album would probably be called a new classic (it's gotten pretty high critical praise thus far).

2010 has been a strange and sad year for hip hop with the loss of Guru, but I remain hopeful for the future. I've got this feeling a new generation of hip-hop is set to explode soon.

I just still don't see anything special in Drake. He isn't bad by any means but nothing about his flow stands out. He has the occasional good punchline but overall he's just an average generic rhymer. He is most definitely above the level of guys like Soulja Boy, Gucci Mane, Wacca Flacca, and all that garbage but he isn't anywhere near the level of the great names in hip hop. Drake is fine for what he is but overall I still see him as an average to maybe slightly above average rapper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back