• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ty Burna's All Hip Hop Thread

Ty, Lupe Fiasco released a video for I'm Beamin, a single off of Lasers. Here's the vid :

I forgot just how lyrically good Lupe is. His beats are so unique, as well as his music is overall. I cannot wait for this album to drop. I've been a huge fan of his for a while now, his music is so inspiring. What do you think of Lupe?

I'm a fan of Lupe, he's got a sick flow and the lyricism is off the charts. He's one of the new guns that I feel really keeps hip hop to it's core and not the flashy bullshit that's around nowadays. When I first heard Kick, Push I was floored. I didn't expect a newcomer to have the storytelling ability and the ability to create visuals with rhymes that Lupe has.

In all honesty I see Lupe Fiasco as probably the future of Hip hop alongside Cudi and a few other cats like Crooked I and Slaughterhouse.

So I just found out The Game has another album coming out in June, and it's called The R.E.D. Album. This is funny because I clearly remember him saying he was going to retire after LAX was released. If you ask me, The Game's only good album was The Documentary, and a lot of that had to do with the all star cast of producers. Ever since The Documentary, he really never was able to re capture that magic.

I probably won't support this album because LAX was a HUGE disappointment for me, and as I said earlier, he really hasn't done anything special since The Documentary. Game has teamed up with Dr.Dre again, so maybe this album will be decent.

THEGAMERED.jpg

Been meaning to catch up on the thread here for awhile so I apologize man. The Game has been shit for quite awhile now. The LAX album had maybe two decent songs if that on it, and I wasn't too impressed with The Documentary either.

The only thing The Game has ever really done is spark controversy due to his beefs with 50 Cent, this rapper, that rapper, that rapper's mother etc. You get the idea though. He's supposed to have all this potential as an artist, yet I haven't really heard anything decent from him in a number of years. So as far as this new album goes, I'm not gonna be wasting my time on it because he fell off awhile back for me. Even if he has Dre on the beats, Dre has fallen off beat wise as well so there's really no magic there to rekindle.

Been meaning to catch up on the thread here for awhile so I apologize man. The Game has been shit for quite awhile now. The LAX album had maybe two decent songs if that on it, and I wasn't too impressed with The Documentary either.

He's supposed to have all this potential as an artist, yet I haven't really heard anything decent from him in a number of years. So as far as this new album goes, I'm not gonna be wasting my time on it because he fell off awhile back for me. Even if he has Dre on the beats, Dre has fallen off beat wise as well so there's really no magic there to rekindle.

First of all my friend, The Documentary is a classic 5 Mic album, hands down complete from top to bottom. LAX was a decent album but an acquired taste, I didn't care for it much when I first listened to it, but after going through it a little more and actually listening to it, it was a decent album, not the better of the 3 he's put out but a solid album nonetheless. "My Life" is good enough on it's own to but the album, let alone the rest of it.

How can you say The Game has been shit? Doctors advocate was one of the best follow up albums ever as well. Did you listen to that album? Did you even hear "Too Much" "Let's Ride" " California Vacation" "One Blood" ? Seriously? That album was great, a solid 4 mic easily, and no Dr. Dre on it either. How can you say The Game fell off? All he did was leave Aftermath and the whole G-Unit scene to make it on is own, which he has been able to do. And how can you say Dre's fell off beat wise? That guy has just got better and better, have you even heard the stuff he's done in the last 10 years? You also have to look at the protoge's Eminem and 50 who are now both excellent producers in their own right now. This is just ridiculous. The Game put the West Coast back on the map,

Since ya'll seem to have forgotten, I'm gonna' remind you of why this dude is the shit, and why the R.E.D. album should be payed more respect as should The Game himself. West Coast Rap At It's Finest (with exception to Ice Cube)
All these songs have sick ass beats, are lyrically appreciable, and you just can't deny them their greatness much like the artist himself. Most rappers only wish they could have 1 hot track, let alone a list like this, and that's just the mainstream stuff. I didn't even tap into mixtapes or anything else.

[YOUTUBE]
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1_JGj3dgek0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1_JGj3dgek0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d9cnQWWF0No&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d9cnQWWF0No&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YEon8uTWW30&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YEon8uTWW30&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JY0Ag0fMxz8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JY0Ag0fMxz8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TGBH3c3HLuQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TGBH3c3HLuQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Xs1JxTU0u4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Xs1JxTU0u4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9udDOUjTBVo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9udDOUjTBVo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

First of all my friend, The Documentary is a classic 5 Mic album, hands down complete from top to bottom. LAX was a decent album but an acquired taste, I didn't care for it much when I first listened to it, but after going through it a little more and actually listening to it, it was a decent album, not the better of the 3 he's put out but a solid album nonetheless. "My Life" is good enough on it's own to but the album, let alone the rest of it.

Don't get me wrong man, The Documentary was a solid album, not the five star masterpiece most give it. I thought it had some good songs, but not nearly enough to be up there with the classics like Nas's Illmatic or Dre's The Chronic etc. Really what I'm saying is that I haven't been feeling Game's work as of the last few years. I like his flow and he's got some solid lyricism, but he just doesn't click with me for some reason. LAX was probably his weakest album so far.

How can you say The Game has been shit? Doctors advocate was one of the best follow up albums ever as well. Did you listen to that album? Did you even hear "Too Much" "Let's Ride" " California Vacation" "One Blood" ? Seriously? That album was great, a solid 4 mic easily, and no Dr. Dre on it either.

Yeah I listened to it, I was expecting more since he wasn't relying on Dre or G-Unit where Game could really come into his own. One Blood was a tight song I'll give you that. I'd say it was a 3 mic album at best since that's the rating system you're going by. I will say that I think Doctor's Advocate was slightly better than The Documentary because it was more of Game doing his own thing rather than following whatever 50 Cent and Dre were doing. It didn't have the hit singles like The Documentary had, but it probably had a more solid sound to it.

How can you say The Game fell off? All he did was leave Aftermath and the whole G-Unit scene to make it on is own, which he has been able to do. And how can you say Dre's fell off beat wise? That guy has just got better and better, have you even heard the stuff he's done in the last 10 years?

I dunno, maybe I was too judgmental right off the top of my head, really I was at work and wanted to make a quick comment, my bad. I guess I shouldn't have said The Game has been shit, he's been solid but like I said man he hasn't been the creme of the crop like others think he is. Is he better than the lollipop motherfuckers like Wayne (shit...wasn't supposed to diss Wayne...well fuck it JKO ain't around anymore) or Soulja Boy etc? Hell yeah I'll bump The Game in my system. As far as him getting better and better, I could argue that point and say he's been on the same level for the last few years. My biggest thing is I don't get the whole hype about him. He's a solid rapper for certain, but not on the level everyone puts him at. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way, it's just his music has never clicked in my head like others have.

You also have to look at the protoge's Eminem and 50 who are now both excellent producers in their own right now. This is just ridiculous. The Game put the West Coast back on the map,

Nah the West Coast went underground is what happened. The West never really died, a lot of it isn't mainstream friendly and a lot of New West Coast cats have been burning it up lately. Then you still have veterans like Kurupt, Warren G, Cypress Hill, and even rappers from the Bay in Yukmouth and E-40 still repping the West Coast with great success.. Cats like Crooked I and Murs who are bringing attention to the West Coast on the underground and in certain mainstream circles have been in the hip hop game for awhile and again having great success. The West never died, it just doesn't get the attention it deserves anymore.

Since ya'll seem to have forgotten, I'm gonna' remind you of why this dude is the shit, and why the R.E.D. album should be payed more respect as should The Game himself. West Coast Rap At It's Finest (with exception to Ice Cube)

I'm sorry man, but The Game just isn't the best West Coast rapper out there. There are too many vets and up and comers that have at least to me, came out with better shit, and done it quietly and effectively without all the drama The Game creates.

All these songs have sick ass beats, are lyrically appreciable, and you just can't deny them their greatness much like the artist himself. Most rappers only wish they could have 1 hot track, let alone a list like this, and that's just the mainstream stuff. I didn't even tap into mixtapes or anything else.

That's all great and wonderful man, they good songs, but are they absolute west coast classics? Maybe for the young that haven't been in the hip hop game as long as I have. I know the old West Coast, and I also know the new West Coast. The Game can't even compare to the old West Coast greats, and there's plenty of New West Coast rappers that don't get near the attention because they go about their business and release quality music without having to pull all the bullshit Game does just to release one album every two years. I hear more about the shit Game talks about other rappers and how he's going to retire because no one appreciates him blah blah blah blah then I do his actual music. I'm sorry man that's just what it seems to me. If he spent as much time in the studio and working on his music as he does talking about everyone else, you'd have easily twice the music that's he's released so far.

Will The Game goes down as one of the best west coast rappers? Maybe, depends who you ask. I don't see it, and I ain't from the West Coast to honestly tell you. I rep the Midwest and that's my hip hop I bump every day. Pimpin if you read this man, you from the West Coast, what do cats out there think of The Game as far as a rapper? You got the inside beat that I ain't got. I honestly don't have many people that listen to Game up here to tell you what others think. I'm just sayin what I've heard, and that's a solid rapper who's probably not worth all the hype that surrounds him. If The Red Album blows me away, I'll change my tone, so for you Game Rage I'll go ahead and check it out when it comes out.

(Side note: I'm half drunk while writing this so please be kind to me about any grammatical errors. I tend to talk and type in more slang and street talk when I'm drinking.)

I've always liked Game as a rapper and I'm kind of in between Ty and Game Rage based on their views. I really like The Documnetary and thought it was easily his best album. Not a five star album like Game Rage has stated but I'd give it a solid four stars. Then he came out with Doctor's Advocate and I just wasn't feeling it. Dre and 50 really helped make the Documnetary great and Game's first album on his own just didn't do it for me.

His second album away from Aftermath I did like. I thought LAX good. Again not amazing and not as good as the Documentary but a very solid album none the less. I liked Cali Sunshine, State of Emergency, Game's Pain, and I've always loved the song My Life.

So overall I think he has a had a good career and I'm hoping this next album is his best yet. As long as he's staying away from the beefs and just writing music he can put out some good shit.

I'm indifferent towards The Game. Sometimes he's good, sometimes he's shit. He's very, very inconsistent, but man... when he goes off, he goes OFF. Also, he's one of the best shit talkers I've ever seen; it's hilarious when he runs his mouth (check out Beef 3 to see what I'm talking about).

Anyways, I've been wanting to pop in here and get a little thing going for quite sometime, but am now finally getting around to it.

Do you guys remember when that show on BET called Rap City in the Basement wasn't shit? Yeah, it feels like years, but when Big Tigger was the host, that show fucking ruled. Every day I'd come home from school, put it on, and get two great hours of rap videos, an interview with some artist, and a freestyle from said artist in the legendary boost.

Over the years there have been countless great freestyles in that booth, and I know the real rap fans here all have to have their personal favorites from the show. So, let's see 'em. :)

I'll start mine off, stealing one of Ty's I'm sure (sorry man, but I have to ;) ), and going with an under appreciated legend in the game.

But first, to break Ty's heart, I have to go with one of Bone Thugs in Harmony's free styles in the booth. Now, as great as this is, it's still kind of disappointing because Layzie fucks up and Wish Bone isn't even there, but man oh man does Bizzy Bone get the fuck off. Krazie is awesome as well, but he had a much better freestyle in the booth years later (which I'll let Ty post if he choose to ;) ).

[YOUTUBE]D3seBLrhn9c[/YOUTUBE]

I've never seen someone step up in that booth with as much fire and passion as Bizzy did that day, but what makes even more awesome is that he's still laid back as fuck. It's unbelievable. To say I loved his freestyle in the booth that day would be an understatement.

And secondly, here's my main man BG. BG's been in the game for over 15 years now (dropped 11 albums in the process), yet still gets hardly any love. Well, he's one of my all time favorites, and I believe he's a true legend in hip-hop; plus in my opinion he has been the realest rapper out there since 2Pac died. Check it out:

[YOUTUBE]wLurrNPfgXc[/YOUTUBE]

There's a few more I really dig and if nobody else posts them, then I'll pop back up and do so myself. :)

Pimpin if you read this man, you from the West Coast, what do cats out there think of The Game as far as a rapper? You got the inside beat that I ain't got. I honestly don't have many people that listen to Game up here to tell you what others think. I'm just sayin what I've heard, and that's a solid rapper who's probably not worth all the hype that surrounds him. If The Red Album blows me away, I'll change my tone, so for you Game Rage I'll go ahead and check it out when it comes out.

I'm glad you asked that Ty. Out here in the west, everybody is mixed on The Game as far as his rapping goes. Some say he's great, some say he's solid and the rest say that he should just concentrate more on making music. There's no way in hell that he measures up to the vets like Kurupt, Yukmouth, E-40, etc and in my opinion and this is just my opinion on this. He's not even the best rapper on the west right now, that honor is split down the middle between Crooked I and Murs as far as i'm concerned (and i'm not including the vets on that one btw). He's definitely better than those shit pop rappers like Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, etc.

As far as the quality of The Game's albums are concerned. I think his albums have gotten marginally better, but not by much and that's mainly because he doesn't have 50 Cent pulling his string anymore.

Now as to what I think his ability is. Well he's inconsistant as one day, he'll be talking some mean shit and another day, he'll just be absolutely dreadful to listen. I agree with everybody else on how he should just stay away from the beefs and just focus entirely on writing the good music that he can do, because he has written some good shit in the past

Great idea JMT.

The first couple I'm going to show are from a guy I think is very underrated and that is Ludacris. He absolutely kills it here.

[YOUTUBE]_bKaL_nG5nQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]nKlxXxDK0wU[/YOUTUBE]

This next one is a cypher featuring Mos Def, Black Thought, and Eminem from the BET 2010 Awards.

[YOUTUBE]CN5Rg6df4Ig[/YOUTUBE]

Also if any of you have a chance go to youtube and type in Cassidy vs Freeway battle. It's good shit.

The only thing The Game has ever really done is spark controversy due to his beefs with 50 Cent, this rapper, that rapper, that rapper's mother etc. You get the idea though. He's supposed to have all this potential as an artist, yet I haven't really heard anything decent from him in a number of years. So as far as this new album goes, I'm not gonna be wasting my time on it because he fell off awhile back for me. Even if he has Dre on the beats, Dre has fallen off beat wise as well so there's really no magic there to rekindle.

I agree with everything you said. I feel that The Documentary was a very overrated album, and I don't know why some people feel the need to go crazy over it. The beats, and the choruses on almost every song were awesome, but The Game's lyrics weren't all that great.

LAX was fucking terrible. He had so many big names on that album, but the majority of the songs sucked. The only song I can say I really liked was the one he had with Lil Wayne, and It's hard for me to say that because I'm too not crazy about Wayne.

Dre has lost his step when it comes to making beats. Also, the damn Detox album he's been going about over the years better be one of the best albums ever because Dre hasn't really done anything special as far as albums go in a while.

Anyways, I've been wanting to pop in here and get a little thing going for quite sometime, but am now finally getting around to it.

Do you guys remember when that show on BET called Rap City in the Basement wasn't shit? Yeah, it feels like years, but when Big Tigger was the host, that show fucking ruled. Every day I'd come home from school, put it on, and get two great hours of rap videos, an interview with some artist, and a freestyle from said artist in the legendary boost.

Oh man Rap City was the SHIT back in the day man. Big Tigger is still the man in my book, and he can spit a freestyle just as good as any guest they brought in there. Hell sometimes he even showed up the guest artist who came in to freestyle. I miss Tigger man, he was the best host BET ever had and since he left, it's gone to shit.

I'll start mine off, stealing one of Ty's I'm sure (sorry man, but I have to ;) ), and going with an under appreciated legend in the game.

But first, to break Ty's heart, I have to go with one of Bone Thugs in Harmony's free styles in the booth. Now, as great as this is, it's still kind of disappointing because Layzie fucks up and Wish Bone isn't even there, but man oh man does Bizzy Bone get the fuck off. Krazie is awesome as well, but he had a much better freestyle in the booth years later (which I'll let Ty post if he choose to ;) ).

I've never seen someone step up in that booth with as much fire and passion as Bizzy did that day, but what makes even more awesome is that he's still laid back as fuck. It's unbelievable. To say I loved his freestyle in the booth that day would be an understatement.

It's all good man, I ain't gonna stress about someone else reppin Bone other than myself for once :). As far as the Bone freestyle, the original one was tight. Krayzie was good on it, Bizzy just tore that track up. Honestly when Bizzy is on his game, there ain't many who can touch his lyricism and flow. As far as Layzie Bone, Layzie's never been that strong as a freestyle artist, and well his lyrics can lack at times even when he's writing. The thing with Layzie is his flow is usually pretty smooth on tracks. He needs to stay away from freestyling though.

Now let's get down to my favorites. I actually got like six freestyle videos I picked out, I'll save Bone most recent one for last.

First up we got the West Coast legend himself Ice Cube and WC. Ice Cube had a solid deliberate flow for this freestyle. It's Ice Cube, y'all know what he can bring to the table. Honestly though this freestyle was all WC. I've always thought WC was highly underrated. He's got a sick flow, and his ability to speed shit up at random is pretty awesome.

[YOUTUBE]n4AtHDQIG0k[/YOUTUBE]

Next up we got The RZA, The Rzarectah, Bobby Digital himself up in the booth. This was one of the occasions where Tigger really brought it on the mic, and the back forth between him and RZA was dope as fuck.

[YOUTUBE]89k6C8ZMsrg[/YOUTUBE]

This next one didn't feature Tigger, but I had to throw this in the group. Lupe Fiasco absolutely killed it here. The lyrics, the flow, the speed, holy shit this is definitely a top contender for one of the best Rap City freestyles I've ever heard. And it wasn't even that long of a freestyle.

[YOUTUBE]W_-bpwe06eY[/YOUTUBE]

UGK representing definitely on this next one. The late great Pimp C dropped this freestyle. I was honestly surprised how good this turned out. I never really knew Pimp C to be a freestyler, but he definitely changed my mind with this one.

[YOUTUBE]x5fcOrKDZQY[/YOUTUBE]

Next up I got Mobb Deep on here. Now Mobb Deep I think deserves a lot more attention and respect than they get from the hip hop game. This freestyle from the group shows why they should get the attention. Havoc killed it for the first part. Prodigy was very solid as well on this freestyle.

[YOUTUBE]_BpH7zVFvEs[/YOUTUBE]

Finally we'll get to the last Bone Thugs Rap City freestyle. Now looking back this was quite awhile after the first one. You could tell how much Krayzie's ability matured over that time. Krayzie is a sick freestyler, but he's never been one to strictly do freestyles, and honestly I'm glad for that. He's too good of a writer to give up on writing his rhymes down. Now as for Layzie, he was able to save himself from fucking up as bad as he did the first Rap City freestyle he was on. A better freestyle from Layzie for sure, but really he just got outclassed by Krayzie so badly, they shoulda just given Krayzie the whole time to freestyle. As far as Wish not freestyling, well honestly I have no reason for you.

Edit: Somehow last night I missed posting the video, so here it is:

You know some cats do nothing but freestyle every song, even for retail albums. Some cats do a little of both, and others for the life of them cannot freestyle at all. A great example of the last one would be Too $hort. Now Too $hort's albums were outstanding, but if you ever heard the legend try to freestyle, it was horrendous. I remember hearing a freestyle track of his a number of years ago and it was bad. As in I could freestyle better and I'm a shit freestyler myself. Hell even searching for a Too $hort freestyle nowadays you ain't gonna find shit on it. I think the man just gave up and is sticking with what he knows. And there ain't nothing wrong with that. I respect the artists that can freestyle because they have the ability to think on their feet when it comes to rhymes. On the other hand you got the artists who put a lot of thought and time into their rhymes. You gotta respect that as well because they take the effort to craft their writings.

I do miss the old Rap City, hell I miss the old BET where it was mostly about playing hip hop all day every day. Now it's broken down into hip hop's version of MTV really, only they still got their TRL esque show still around in 106 and Park. I can't be bothered really to watch that channel anymore and if I want to throw some hip hop videos on, I'm usually switchin to the MTV Jams channel. I feel bad because I just discovered this channel like 3 months ago, and it's been there the whole time. It's a dope channel, nothing but hip hop/R&B videos all day long, and often times they'll have special video blocks like best of the south, or certain artists. If you have it, check it out it's about the only thing left worthwhile MTV has to offer in my opinion.

Oh and just one last thing for y'all, a real old acapella freestyle Krayzie threw out for an interview. The quality isn't great, but fuck you can tell the man is high as shit and still spits a sick verse.

The first couple I'm going to show are from a guy I think is very underrated and that is Ludacris. He absolutely kills it here.

Luda's a punch line rap artist, but I haven't seen anyone perfect that art form as well as he has. He rips every freestyle/verse he does. The guy's incredible, and I agree... very underrated in the hardcore hip-hop fanbase.

Oh man Rap City was the SHIT back in the day man. Big Tigger is still the man in my book, and he can spit a freestyle just as good as any guest they brought in there. Hell sometimes he even showed up the guest artist who came in to freestyle. I miss Tigger man, he was the best host BET ever had and since he left, it's gone to shit.

Yes, Big Tigger was the man. He made that show what it was, and it's no coincidence that his departure from it was when the show started to suck.

I do miss the old Rap City, hell I miss the old BET where it was mostly about playing hip hop all day every day. Now it's broken down into hip hop's version of MTV really, only they still got their TRL esque show still around in 106 and Park. I can't be bothered really to watch that channel anymore and if I want to throw some hip hop videos on, I'm usually switchin to the MTV Jams channel. I feel bad because I just discovered this channel like 3 months ago, and it's been there the whole time. It's a dope channel, nothing but hip hop/R&B videos all day long, and often times they'll have special video blocks like best of the south, or certain artists. If you have it, check it out it's about the only thing left worthwhile MTV has to offer in my opinion.

I completely agree, man. Do you remember the show BET Uncut? It was a one-hour program they would play every night at 2 A.M. Central timing, with nothing but the raunchiest rap videos out there. I fucking LOVED it. So many times I stayed up late on school nights just to catch that show.

But yeah... BET's all about shitty reality television shows and pop culture now. It sucks.

And I used to have MTV Jams when my mom had Digital Cable; awesome, awesome channel. But unfortunately Direct TV doesn't carry it, so I don't have access to it (though with the internet and every video making it's way to Youtube it really doesn't matter to be quite honest).

Anyways, my man Ty decided not to post the Krazie freestyle I was thinking about earlier, so I'll do it. It's honestly one of the greatest flows I've ever heard.

Now, since this is the only version of it, you'll have to put up with Lil' Wayne's freestyle first. It's actually not all that bad, but I just want it to be known that I'm posting this for Krazie's incredible freestyle, not Wayne's mediocre one. Check it out:

[YOUTUBE]wp9GGhitJ3I[/YOUTUBE]

Just... spectacular.

There are two more I want to post. One also features Lil' Wayne again, though this was before he became the freak show he is today, and besides... Juvenile's the reason I'm posting this, as he simply goes off on his verse (make sure you fast forward through Baby's garbage ass shit).

[YOUTUBE]NHP2Dfufm6E[/YOUTUBE]

And finally, here are the Body Headbangerz in the booth, though Roy Jones only spits one line, and Choppa fucks up. However, it's Magic's verse that saves it and makes this worth watching (Tigger has a great verse, too). I apologize ahead of time for the shitty quality, but it's worth putting up with because of Mr. Magic.

[YOUTUBE]hSfVXwanxw8[/YOUTUBE]

Gentleman, today is a great day. Today is the day that Bone Thugs-n-Harmony's new album Uni5: The World's Enemy has officially been released to the masses. It has been a solid 2 to 3 years since their last proper retail album dropping, and I'm excited to get home and grab it off iTunes as soon as I can. I will also purchase the official album because I like shiny cover art but that's beside the point.

Now I have heard the album, I actually had a preview of it on Saturday and had a chance to listen to the album from start to finish. I don't want to ruin it too much for anyone that is planning on getting it. I will say it's great to hear all five members once again rapping on the same tracks. As far as lyrical content, a good portion of the songs are a lot deeper than what I've been accustomed to in the past. I like it though, it's definitely a new direction for Bone but at the same time it has similar tones to their previous material on life's struggles as well as their spirituality. It's not a party album, but it is upbeat in a way that most wouldn't be used to. If I were to compare it to anything, I would maybe stretch to say that it sounds sort of like Kid Cudi's style, only with the Bone Thugs flair and twist put on it. I want to see more of this from Bone, and I"m hoping now we can get more than one album every three years.

With that said, go cop that shit now.

I need your help guys, I have seriously drawn a blank on any new hip hop I want to check out. I"ve pretty much exhausted all old school hip hop, new releases, as well as new underground artists to check out. This is kind of odd that I'm in a lull for new hip hop.

So, give me some suggestions guys, my collection is a bit stale at the moment and I think I've listened to Bone Thugs' new album enough times to be satisfied with it and be able to set it aside for awhile. As always this is non spam so please give me reasons why I should check said artist/album out.

I have to admit it's a shame you're not Danish Ty, because there's actually some decent rappers in Denmark, but it would be an absolute shame to suggest you listening to them because of the language barrier that exists.

Other than that, I have to admit I'm not very underground knowing, and I'm not too widespread on the mainstream neither, I'm guessing the majority of things I could throw at you, you have already listened to death, I would've thrown Immortal Technique out some time ago but you already had that covered, I'll keep looking for something for you although.

I need your help guys, I have seriously drawn a blank on any new hip hop I want to check out. I"ve pretty much exhausted all old school hip hop, new releases, as well as new underground artists to check out. This is kind of odd that I'm in a lull for new hip hop.

So, give me some suggestions guys, my collection is a bit stale at the moment and I think I've listened to Bone Thugs' new album enough times to be satisfied with it and be able to set it aside for awhile. As always this is non spam so please give me reasons why I should check said artist/album out.

There isn't too much out right now but I know you liked what you heard from Slaughterhouse and Joell Ortiz has a mixtape that came out recently called "Defying the Predictable." He did it with Novel and it's worth checking out. Royce also has the "Bar Exam 3" coming out soon.

As for a newer artist I don't know if you've ever heard of Big Sean but he's a rapper from Detroit signed to Kanye's label. He had a mix tape last year called "U Know Big Sean" and I was a fan of it. He also has his first album coming out soon.

Yo Ty, I forgot about these in my last post but there's a couple new albums out that you should check out. Reflection Eternal (Talib Kweli and Hi-Tek) released "Revolutions Per Minute" and Nas and Damian Marley released "Distant Relatives." Both are good albums and worth the buy/download.

It's hard to talk about underground hip hop for me, living in England it's different. What is mainstream in the USA may have never been heard of over here-when I show people anyone from B.o.B to E-40 I'll get a question like "who is this?", unless it's Kanye, Hov, Eminem or Wayne. That's not to say people don't like it-when I first played the song Airplanes to some friends, they all love B.o.B now, so it's not all bad.

A question I'm curious about though, is after how much rap comes of here, do people in America listen to any modern UK rap? People like JME, Skepta, Klashnekoff to The Streets, Dizzee Rascal or Plan B? If no one listens to them, I'd say JME is amazing-one of his recent songs (CD is Dead) echoes the sentiment shown by some in this thread. I haven't read all of this thread, so if this has been discussed already, I apologise.

[youtube]w8zE44mUBJU[/youtube]

It's hard to talk about underground hip hop for me, living in England it's different. What is mainstream in the USA may have never been heard of over here-when I show people anyone from B.o.B to E-40 I'll get a question like "who is this?", unless it's Kanye, Hov, Eminem or Wayne. That's not to say people don't like it-when I first played the song Airplanes to some friends, they all love B.o.B now, so it's not all bad.

First and foremost, welcome to the hip hop thread homie.

Really it's difficult to discuss underground/independent hip hop over in the US as well man, so don't feel too left out. The only ones that really know artists that aren't on BET or MTV constantly are the hardcore fans, such as the ones you see posting in this thread often. If you get a chance, and I noticed you've done a little reading in this thread, go through the thread and you'll see a ton of artists we've all recommended, and I'm interested in seeing what you recommend artist wise.
A question I'm curious about though, is after how much rap comes of here, do people in America listen to any modern UK rap? People like JME, Skepta, Klashnekoff to The Streets, Dizzee Rascal or Plan B? If no one listens to them, I'd say JME is amazing-one of his recent songs (CD is Dead) echoes the sentiment shown by some in this thread. I haven't read all of this thread, so if this has been discussed already, I apologise.

[youtube]w8zE44mUBJU[/youtube]

Dizzee Rascal is pretty popular over here, I've never really got into his music, though I will give him credit for being on the Definitive Jux label at one point in time. I haven't heard of any of the other artists you listed, though I am feeling that JME song you posted here. I"ll have to check this list out, and if you got any other suggestions for UK artists, by all means post them in here man. I'm always up for discovering new artists, the more music the better.

First and foremost, welcome to the hip hop thread homie.

Thank you!

Really it's difficult to discuss underground/independent hip hop over in the US as well man, so don't feel too left out. The only ones that really know artists that aren't on BET or MTV constantly are the hardcore fans, such as the ones you see posting in this thread often. If you get a chance, and I noticed you've done a little reading in this thread, go through the thread and you'll see a ton of artists we've all recommended, and I'm interested in seeing what you recommend artist wise.

Ahh yeah, I wasn't really sure about how it was over there. I see it that hip hop on the whole is a lot bigger in the US, as here it's traditionally not as popular as other genres. That said, it is becoming bigger, but only if someone has some sort of big hit, it's rarely more than just one song. A recent example is when I was playing Chamillionaire-I have 300+ songs of his on iTunes, but the only song people knew was Ridin'. I thought that was crazy, but maybe it's just me.

Slightly off the point though haha, yeah, I will definitely have a look through, because it seems to be people who actually know what they are talking about, plus I need to find some new music at the moment anyway!

Dizzee Rascal is pretty popular over here, I've never really got into his music, though I will give him credit for being on the Definitive Jux label at one point in time. I haven't heard of any of the other artists you listed, though I am feeling that JME song you posted here.

Yeah, Dizzee Rascal is definitely someone you either listen to or don't-I know people either can't stand him, or loves everything he puts out. I didn't like him so much in the past, but after listening to a few albums, I've grown to like him quite a lot.

I'm glad you liked that song, I wasn't sure what the reaction would be to it. It's a shame he's not more popular-definitely one of the best English rappers out there, yet he hasn't got any mainstream recognition.

I"ll have to check this list out, and if you got any other suggestions for UK artists, by all means post them in here man. I'm always up for discovering new artists, the more music the better.

Ahh, good shout, they were just the first few people that came to my head, I hope they don't disappoint though. Out of the UK rappers I can think of right now, I'd say my favourites are probably JME and Skepta as I previously mentioned, but also Tinchy Stryder has some pretty great songs too. I'll get to having a look through the thread now and see if I can find anything I like-I'm sure that won't be too hard at all! Is there anyone you would recommend in particular?

[youtube]cb-HB160Dx4[/youtube]

Above I mentioned a man by the name of Nussie. He was by far my favorite rapper in Baton Rouge, and was on his way to becoming a huge star nationally. Unfortunately, he was killed back in February, just a couple of weeks before heading to New York to sign with a Universal label. Here's just one song from him, but there are a bunch more on youtube if you just search his name, just in case you enjoy this. I hope you do.

[youtube]unrL1tCFAOs[/youtube]

I made this post earlier in the thread, plus a couple of others in the thread towards Nussie.

I quote it now because it looks like justice is about to be served. Michael Louding, known as Marlo Mike in Baton Rouge, has confessed to killing Nussie plus 5 others in the last two years. He was 15 when he killed him, now about to turn 17.

The twist to all this is, he's apart of the Trill Fam and is now saying Lil' Boosie ordered him to do it. Boosie has been under suspicion for the murder of Nussie when the FBI found out that Boosie had a $30,000 hit on him before Nussie was killed.

Boosie is currently serving 4 years in prison for violating his probation (gun/marijuana charge), but if he gets charged, he will be looking at the death penalty if convicted.

I was a HUGE fan of Lil' Boosie during his early years. In fact, Youngest of the Camp and For My Thugs are two of my all time favorite albums. However, these past few years, with the exception of a song here and there, Boosie has for the most part been mainstream garbage, whereas Nussie was vastly becoming my favorite rapper in the game before his death. So, fuck Lil' Boosie. I hope he gets whatever is coming to him. He didn't want to battle Nussie in the studio, so he went this route and got a KID to kill the guy. Does it get any more pathetic than that?

I made this post earlier in the thread, plus a couple of others in the thread towards Nussie.

I quote it now because it looks like justice is about to be served. Michael Louding, known as Marlo Mike in Baton Rouge, has confessed to killing Nussie plus 5 others in the last two years. He was 15 when he killed him, now about to turn 17.

Good, about time they put that little fucker away. He's getting put away for quite some time if not the death penalty.

The twist to all this is, he's apart of the Trill Fam and is now saying Lil' Boosie ordered him to do it. Boosie has been under suspicion for the murder of Nussie when the FBI found out that Boosie had a $30,000 hit on him before Nussie was killed.

Not sure how valid the evidence would be against Boosie in this one, but it's entirely possible he's getting conspiracy to commit murder at the very least, if not worse. Either way he's looking at extended prison time for either if they can stick something on him.

Boosie is currently serving 4 years in prison for violating his probation (gun/marijuana charge), but if he gets charged, he will be looking at the death penalty if convicted.

I was a HUGE fan of Lil' Boosie during his early years. In fact, Youngest of the Camp and For My Thugs are two of my all time favorite albums. However, these past few years, with the exception of a song here and there, Boosie has for the most part been mainstream garbage, whereas Nussie was vastly becoming my favorite rapper in the game before his death. So, fuck Lil' Boosie. I hope he gets whatever is coming to him. He didn't want to battle Nussie in the studio, so he went this route and got a KID to kill the guy. Does it get any more pathetic than that?

I think you and I have discussed Boosie in the past, but honestly his shit has become stale and as predicable as every other mainstream rapper out today. Really I've heard a lot of shit that Boosie was afraid of Nussie, didn't wanna battle him, so he took the low route and had someone kill him. Though how much of a kid is this guy that got convicted when he killed 5 other people? You get to that stage, you aren't a kid anymore, you know exactly what you're doing so whatever he gets, he deserves. Boosie deserves what he gets too for putting that hit out on Nussie.

On that note, I have a post I plan on doing sometime this week that should go pretty deep intellectually when it comes to hip hop. I hope everyone gets a chance to take a look at it, and take the time to respond to it.

The post is going to be about the impact hip hop has made on the culture of the US, why it's impact is going the completely wrong direction, where it was 20/30 years ago, and what could be done to alter the direction hip hop's cultural impact is making.

I've heard a few awesome songs today that you guys should all know about. One is Long Story, by Kingpin Skinny Pimp, and the other is 8 steps to perfection by Company Flow. If y'all havent heard of these guys i'll give ya a quick rundown, Skinny Pimp is a Memphis rapper who has been around for quite sometime, his stuff is usually hit or miss with me. Company Flow is a trio consisting of El-P, Bigg Jus, and Mr. Len. All three dudes are producers and El-P and Bigg Jus are rappers.

Well I figure I better put out something that's happening out here in the Bay. This has been out for about a week now, but East Oakland's Yukmouth has finally released "Free At Last". We've been waiting for this for a few months now and he's finally put it out there. There are some good slapps from the ex Luni. Here's a sample.

[youtube]lJDef09QTOg[/youtube]

This is the video to 2-11. Personally one of my favorite tracks.

[youtube]66P6X741wdI[/youtube]

Da Town remix. A lot of good rappers on her from Richie Rich to Shady Nate and on.

[youtube]vW9cXgHYmOs[/youtube]

This probably isn't what you would consider gangsta, but a definately slapp nonetheless.

Yukmouth has been a staple of Bay Area rap since his days with Numbskull as part of the Luniz. He continues to bring it on every album, every song he puts his name on. This one is no exception. If your a fan of Yuk, I would definately check this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back