• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Top WWE Star Requests Release

Green Bay Wisconsin

Dark Match Winner
"still waiting on more details to come in but Rey Mysterio recently requested his release from WWE and told officials that he would retire if they did not grant his wish. We don’t know when Rey made the request but do know it was before WWE’s big Sin Cara press conference two weeks ago in Mexico."

What do people think of this situation?

Would Rey be missed?

What impact (if any) would this have on the Sin Cara Debut?

Edit: http://www.wrestlenewz.com/wrestling/exclusive-news/top-wwe-superstar-requests-his-release-and-makes-a-threat/

Here's the link

"still waiting on more details to come in but Rey Mysterio recently requested his release from WWE and told officials that he would retire if they did not grant his wish. We don’t know when Rey made the request but do know it was before WWE’s big Sin Cara press conference two weeks ago in Mexico."

Would Rey be missed?

Before I answer this, please provide the link to the article. I think this report is false. I do not necessarily like Mysterio , but he would certainly be missed. He is a mainstay on smackdown, and with ziggler gone there is a lack of main event stars.

WrestleNewz is known for being a dirt sheet, I remember I read a couple reports last year and they were completely irrelevant, I believe it was to do with the Bret Hart return.

I don't believe the accuracy of the report, especially considering how Rey was only confirmed for a match on Tuesday at the tapings for Wrestlemania and has made interviews hyping Mistico since he signed and became Sin Cara.

I'll return to this topic once it's verified by a reliable source.

I don't like REY, but he is from WCW so I always like to see old faces.

Would Rey be missed?
He showed that he can still go during the elimination chamber match. He is the "heart and soul of Friday nights" and is a huge part of there programming.

IDK if he will either way. I think it would be great to see a classic luchador match. I think if Rey wanted to he could put Sin Cara way over. It would be nice to see a passing of the torch played out.

Rey's a smart businessman and he's in a match on the Wrestlemania card. There's no chance in hell he'd ask for his release so close to the biggest pay-day of the year, he's not that stupid and any site that claims he would is full of shit

i think this is big time false...Wrestlezone had a report a while ago about rey saying that rumors were untrue about him retire after WM that he plans on staying on for a couple more years on a light schedule even when he knew Sin Cara was coming so i think this is very untrue unless u can provide proof

I think Rey is going to stay. Why? Sin Cara. What a feud that could be. Rey Mysterio vs Sin Cara sounds good to me. Very much the same style with the same background and heritage. Also, I believe Rey has another World Title run in him, so, he should stay.

all i heard about mysterio is that he's leaving when his contract is up and i don't think he's the type of guy that would give vince a ultimatum

I think the children would miss Rey, but honestly, I don't think he'd be missed too much by anyone else. He's done all he can for the company and he does have the right to leave if he sees fit. If he did ask for his request, I think maybe he'd just wanna spend more time with his family & get off the road for a while. Now, would this have an impact in the Sin Cara debut? Probably not, Especially if they debut him feuding with Rey and he "puts him out". It'd give Sin instant credibility and also it could give Rey a reason to leave and leave without there being a messy breakup & leaves the door open for him to come back if he wanted to.

I think Rey is being smart.

Why be in WWE with Sin Cara and stay long enough to become irrelevant by comparison when he can quit wait 90 days and look above average in TNA...

Rey is old and overrated, so I will be glad to see him gone. I want to see new wrestlers and tired of the same guys over and over again, doing the same thing over again. I hope the WWE grants the release as that means a new star could take his place. In fact here is my list of talent I feel the WWE should let go and move on:

Triple H
Undertaker
Kane
Big Show
John Cena
Edge
Randy Orton
Kofi Kingston
Mark Henry
Daniel Bryan

Bring them back in about 3 years when we missed them. I know guys will say the ratings will tank, but haven't the ratings tanked with these guys already. Mysterio is old and boring, doing the same lame moves he did when he debut in the WWE. No one will miss him, his lame promos, lame them music, lame outfits and lame everything. New blood is the guy, new talent. Wrestling should be like every other sport, get rid of your old aging stars for new ones so the business can grow.

Guessing this dude works for TNA, because if all these guys would get released, with the exception of HHH, every one would go work for TNA. And the Monday Night Wars would truly be reignited - in a big, BIG way. But... not happening.

As for Mysterio, merchandise would take a hit and kids would be upset for a while. But in the grand scheme of things, it may actually make John Cena merchandise sell better because all those kids would buy Cena gear, rather than Mysterio gear.

Mysterio is nothing more than a midcard talent who gets kids excited. Anytime he wrestles one of the bigger guys, it's the same story over and over again... David versus Goliath.

Personally, he could move on anytime and I wouldn't miss him one bit.

While i don't watch the WWE because i'm a TNA fan ( yeah yeah sue me), i don't think the article is true. Why would he ask for his release this close to Wrestlemania? After Wrestlemania maybe but not this close to it. If its true, something big may have angered Mysterio to the point that he would be willing to miss the big show.

For the record, if i watched WWE i would miss Ray Mysterio because he once was one of my favorite high-flyers

This article is false for various reasons. First of all, WWE has already granted Rey's wishes that he could start a feud with anybody he wants, which is why he is feuding with Cody Rhodes right now. Second, Rey has been assigned a match to Wrestlemania. Third the so-called threat makes absolutely no sense. Release me or I retire? If that threat were true then WWE would be screwed either way. If they release Rey they wouldn't be able to use him, and if he retires they wouldn't be able to use him.

I dont think he will be gone in the immeadiate. I can see a program going down with Sin Cara at some point with Rey putting over Cara at WM next year, THEN maybe returning. Rey has been in the buisness for ten forevers and from what i know, has enormous respect for it, and for luchadore style wrestling in general. I just cant see him walking out the door without passing the torch.

Would Rey be missed?

Not sure any of this is true or what have you. Nonetheless, it's interesting.

1. Perhaps he feels that they are trying to replace him while he's still there and feels as though he should be given a better send off than some of the ideas they have planned for him now. Maybe he knows his body more than they do and he knows it's time. Either way, I do find it odd that they'd do this before WrestleMania and the big payoff he'd get for competing on the show.

2. Absolutely. Financially, he's one of the best sellers the company has in terms of merchandise. Add to this that he will give you the same ol' match, usually, but it's at least a relatively high-paced match and you can see he'll be missed. Nonetheless, if Sin Cara gets over, he'll be less missed than he might otherwise be.

3. It depends on plans, obviously. Nonetheless, I don't think it would be too big. Just unfortunate that we as fans don't get to see the in-ring passing of the torch, so to speak.

Nonetheless, he'd still have some of the smaller guys like Daniel Bryan and maybe Justin Gabriel. Not to mention, Alberto del Rio.

So, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being a big deal, Rey leaving would be a 3 to a 4 in terms of the effect he has on Sin Cara's debut.

Well what I think about this situation is that, Rey is getting old, and his body is not in the best of shape right now. It could be the road schedule is building up on him. And too he's a family man, so I could see him more quality time with his family as a legitimate and main purpose for asking for a release. But whatever the situation is, it must be urgent if not granted his release he would retire. But we knew the time was coming near, and whatever Rey decides to do, let it be best for Rey.

I will miss Rey because of how he added structure, culture, and prestige to the cruiserweight division for the short time the WWE had the cruiserweight division. If u watched WCW back in the day, Mike Tenay used to do a report every week on the Lucha Libre Heritage, and used to incorporate the history of it in the matches of Pyscosis, Juventud Guerrera, and even the Guerreros. But most Lucha stars didn't last long until Mysterio came. And although we didn't get much of a history lesson as we did in WCW, Rey showed us that Lucha Libre was a way of life, as he never escaped from that style that was so different and unique, and made him the popular superstar that he is today.

But I don't think Rey's departure will affect Sin-Cara's debut. But yet will shift much needed focus on Sin Cara since he's the only Lucha star in WWE and really allow Sin Cara some time to show off his skills. The only thing is that Sin Cara is going to have to fill some major shoes. I don't think he'll have the same success as Rey, but I beleive he can have at least a decent career. My only regret about this retirement is that we won't get to see Mysterio vs. Evan Bourne or Mysterio vs. Sin Cara. Although I firmly beleive Mysterio will win, it wouldn't hurt to see them 2 matches take place within the next year.

I know it was lengthy, but that's how I feel about Rey requesting his release.

First off, I'd like to say that you have a great sig :D I, too, am reading Undisputed.

Now, I think Rey Mysterio is making the right decision.

He's very worn out. For the past couple of years, his injuries have been catching up to him and I think it's time for him to go. And when he does go, there's no doubt that he'll be coming back for special appearances.
I think he's also leaving due to the debut of Sin Cara. I think Rey Mysterio want's to pass the torch down to the next big luchador in WWE. I just hope Sin Cara's debut promos live up to it's expectations and hype.

I seriously doubt that this is legit otherwise it'd be all over the net. I haven't seen this on WZ, PWTorch.com, ProWrestling.net, PWInsider.com or anywhere else. However, I'll play along.

If Mysterio left the WWE, it wouldn't be a huge blow. I mean, sure it'd be as much of a blow as any company would feel losing such a good in-ring competitor, but it's not the end of the world.

Like Norcal said, I at least expect Mysterio to work a program with Sin Cara before he decides to hang it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back