WWE release Alberto Del Rio

Psykohurricane55

Staff member
It finally been announce that wwe officially release del rio which I'm not very surprise since he did the same thing the last time by announcing a press conference in mexico on the same day as his release.

Personnally, I don't think that it's a huge lost for wwe since he hasn't been a relevant wrestlers since they split him up from ricardo rodriguez. Here's a guy that always though he was a bigger name then he actually was and while I think they did miss a major opportunity last year when he beat cena, he didn't help himself by just coasting through everything they gave him.

So now, do you think that paige would be stupid enough to leave wwe over her love affair with del rio which I think would be a way bigger lost for wwe then del rio.

Paige would be naive to leave WWE. Options for women are even more limited and she's better up and just sacking up and dealing with it. Her WWE career will likely be over by the time she's 30, such is how short a lifespan most have.

It's a shame but I honestly don't think I'll miss him, his in-ring work is solid but I just find him incredibly dull and bereft of charisma. I was surprised when he returned and genuinely curious to see what he'd do going forward, instead he had an incredibly lacklustre U.S Title reign and placed into one of the more forgettable groups in recent memory. Maybe he'll go back to Lucha Underground and find that spark again.

One thing's for sure, Aquaman is going to be heartbroken.

Losing Paige is honestly the bigger deal. I could care less about Alberto Del Rio. The guy was great at putting on matches, and fun to watch in multi-man events but could not carry a decent feud to save his life. He's devoid of any charisma or screen presence. Being added to the League of Nations who went nowhere did him no favors. I just really hope Paige can see its just not worth it to leave everything for a guy who can't even stay faithful to his current wife.

Look, Del Rio should never have returned! He was doing very well in the Indies, AA/LU and RoH. He is far better in shows where WRESTLING, not ACTING, is paramount.

As for Paige: WWE was trying to protect her from that nuclear holocaust ADR's RL divorce case is becoming. TBH, this was more triggered by Saraya Knight (Paige's Mom) then by ADR. She has been urging her child to leave WWE since this whole Del Rio escapade hit the light of day, and her little tiff in Vegas cemented it. Paige will stay in the UK or go to Mexico. WWE's contracts are unenforceable there.

Interestingly Alberto Del Rio returned and defeated Cena clean. And Alberto's last match saw him getting pinned by John Cena himself. :rolleyes:

Back to topic, I liked Alberto a lot. His in-ring work is good enough to impress me. BUT everything else has been a let down, be it his mic-skills, gimmick, and his lacklustre booking. His booking made him look like a bland mexican guy who has no personality or charisma.

This same person was much better in Lucha Underground & other promotions. So the culprit is his booking.

Putting him into League Of Nations aka League Of Reigns' Jobber just worsened his situation. Atleast Sheamus and Rusev did gain something in future. There was nothing for Del Rio and even Barrett.

I wish success to him in other promotions. I did miss after his first stint but not after this bland second run. And please, TNA don't sign him that too for a hefty check.

The anti-veteran hate is strong here, as usual. Del Rio is a devastating loss to WWE for anyone who enjoys wrestling, because there are very few better than him between the ropes. Del Rio was easily in the top 5 ring workers in the company, and far more charismatic than most of the guys WWE pushes to the top (Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns, Kevin Owens, just to name a few). It's an absolute shame that WWE wasted such an amazing talent by having him turn into a glorified jobber a month after his return. But, because he's not fresh from the developmental league, he's despised by 99% of this site's users.

As for Paige, she's just being a young, stupid girl instead of a professional. It's highly likely she'll follow Del Rio out of the company, then after he dumps her in a year, she'll come crawling back to WWE, begging for a job. They'll rehire her and use her as a jobber to put over all the newer NXT girls, destroying her career. If Paige follows Del Rio out, her career is dead.

Del Rio was useless anyway so its natural thing that he and WWE part ways. Paige would be bigger loss but have a feeling WWE wont cry for her that much either. Eversince her feud with Charlotte she is underused anyway.

Underutilized. Del Rio could easily bring the house down in a MOTY with anyone given the opportunity. But like a large chunk of the roster, he wasn't given that opportunity in a fair manner. There are wrestlers male and female in the WWE right now that could slam out a really good match at 45 minutes long. But we are not at that stage in wrestling where telling a dramatic story in the ring is necessary anymore, we are at a stage of quick potatoe chips for matches.

Del Rio couldn't squeeze enough into 10-15 minute matches that engaged the viewer, IMO he's the 30-35 minute match type that would excel with his conditioning to tell a story in the ring. There was no way he was getting that time. So he's better off going somewhere else where his skills are appreciated.

I for one hope Paige stays in WWE. The women's division is peaking at an all time high and would be incredibly foolish to turn away. She has a ton of raw talent and can hold the reins of the women's division in another 4-5 years. Paige leaving would be a loss for WWE but a bigger loss for Paige. Let's hope the creator of NXT himself has a sit down and sets her straight...

As for ADR-:shrug: He was responsible for his first release and he was responsible for his second release. A ton of wrestling talent but lacks the "gimmick intelligence" to stay over as a face and/or heel. If he was supposed to be the biggest Latino star since Eddie Guerrero, both WWE and ADR missed that by a couple hundred miles. Mexico's finest export will likely spend the rest of his career as El Patron and into retirement.

While I enjoy Del Rio inside the ring, the loss to WWE here is pretty much nil as they have a ton of talent on the roster every bit as entertaining inside the ring as Del Rio.

Del Rio was making a lot of money, but he wasn't getting a main event push that he wanted. He spent most of his first run in or around the main event and what I heard 90% of the time was how much fans wanted him moved further down the card. Del Rio had the opportunity to make his mark as a main eventer the first time around and, frankly, it didn't really click with a whole helluva lot of fans. For the first 6 months or so, I really enjoyed Del Rio inside the ring and as a character, but the entertainment value for his character faded after I saw just how truly limited he was. The notion that he's more charismatic than most of the guys on the roster, including guys like Ambrose & Owens, is laughable because it's hard to view a guy as charismatic when he gets little to no real response from the audience.

He didn't sell much merchandise, he didn't pull in viewers and fans were simply much more interested in seeing other wrestlers pushed to the main event spot. True, what they got was Roman Reigns much of the time but at least Reigns did get a response. Beyond the initial pop for his return and for a few weeks after that, you basically could've heard crickets chirping if his music wasn't playing.

They introduced Del Rio with a very clear and distinguishable gimmick - but how long can you enter the ring in an expensive car? They tried to tone it down over time but he just lost that presence and confidence which I think he did posses quite a lot of for the first year or two.

His in ring work was marvelous, always has been in my opinion. He was pushed hard down our throats for too long though and every time he picked up the mic people just switched off. Add to that some terrible booking. They should have actually given him a decent storyline to run with from time to time. All I seem to remember was pinatas and average feuding with Rey Mysterio. But he does take some responsibility for not making what he was given work.

I agree with Stingray, he's better in the indies. And let's face it, he's had a pretty good stint in the WWE. I think he'd have taken that at the start!

Alberto Del Rio leaving the WWE will only be a small loss. I definitely believe he should have been humble and realized the reality. He is 39 years old not 29. He is in phenomenal shape, however, WWE invests in younger talent, or those who have true hall of fame careers. Shaemus lost his spot at the top, the Miz has lost his spot at the top, Ziggler lost his spot at the top. Competition is so strong and only few can maintain their spot at the top of the card. Del Rio needs to realize that he has limited charisma, he is boring in the ring, and limited on the microphone. If I were him, I would have been humble, did everything I could to maintain my position with the Latino demographic and enjoyed life.

Alberto Del Rio leaving the WWE will only be a small loss. I definitely believe he should have been humble and realized the reality. He is 39 years old not 29. He is in phenomenal shape, however, WWE invests in younger talent, or those who have true hall of fame careers. Shaemus lost his spot at the top, the Miz has lost his spot at the top, Ziggler lost his spot at the top. Competition is so strong and only few can maintain their spot at the top of the card. Del Rio needs to realize that he has limited charisma, he is boring in the ring, and limited on the microphone. If I were him, I would have been humble, did everything I could to maintain my position with the Latino demographic and enjoyed life.

While I don't agree with him being boring in the ring, there's merit to your other points. One reason why he's in phenomenal shape could be due to performance enhancing drugs; he did fail a drug test, we still don't know what drug(s) was in his system and we probably never will.

Del Rio had a chance to lash out at WWE today in a press conference in Mexico City, Paige happened to be in attendance with him, but he simply said that he felt he had accomplished all he could in WWE, that it was time to move on and that his passion for wrestling was starting to wane. He said that parting ways with WWE was amicable and that there's no hard feelings on either side, so let's just remember that in case he pops up with some shoot interview blasting WWE in a month or so.

I can understand Del Rio's position if he's just not all that happy with his spot in the company. The thing is, however, he doesn't need the money as he was wealthy even before he came to WWE the first time around. As a result, I can understand him doing it primarily because he enjoys it with money being a secondary consideration. At the same time, his second deal with WWE had a downside guarantee of $1.7 million and he worked a reduced schedule, by which I mean he worked no house shows, so nobody should be cryin' in their beer for him.

Considering how he left the first time and all that went on there that they brought him back this time was surprising, and he ended up in the same spot within the company as his first stint. For what he brought to the table he was overpaid for a guy that rarely worked.

I agree with JH, didn't like him outside the ring, but he was a good wrestler, there is no doubt about that. For some reason he didn't connect to the audience, they only really seemed to like him when he had his ring announcer and was arriving in expensive cars. After he lost that gimmick, everything sort of went downhill.

Was really surprised to see him come back for a second run after the fiasco of what happened backstage, but thought beating Cena for the title we would see some new life in him. Sadly there wasn't even a spark. I didn't hate the guy, it is more of an indifference towards him. Nothing there to really get excited about.

When Owens or Rollins comes out you know someone is going to get a trash talking on the mic and the crowds gets amped up for it. Unfortunately it's gotten to the point that they want to be part of the show, booing and cheering isn't enough for them. Del Rio while not horrible on the mic, wasn't great either. You could almost hear crickets as the crowd tuned out.

No these guys aren't actors in a movie or TV show, but to connect with the audience they have to in some way put themselves out there. Del Rio hard as he tried just couldn't do it, or the audience just didn't want to hear him. He will be much better off in Lucha Underground, although I can't see him wrestling very much longer. As has been stated he doesn't need the money, although his divorce might cost him some.

Paige well she's another story, and if they are in love, then happy for them. If she is just doing it to piss off Vince because they let her boyfriend go, i can see that as well. Paige reminds me of a person that doesn't think of the consequences of her actions before doing them. For a seasoned veteran in the wrestling business, in her personal life she comes across as very immature in her thinking.

The guy is great in the ring, but absolutely sucks at everything else. Braun and Nia's jobbers get bigger reactions than he ever has.

Del Rio was meant to be a top guy on Smackdown and that loss shows. I'm a pretty big Alberto fan, it's really too bad they could never figure out anything for the guy. The MexAmerica angle was awful and dropped quickly in favour of the equally terrible League of Nations (someone call Woodrow Wilson).

They never let the guy be himself. He was so over as El Patron, but they never let him tap into that energy. Del Rio has this whole MMA background as well as his father Dos Caras Sr to mine stories from. They never tapped into it.

I always thought it could be an entertaining angle to give Del Rio an alternate babyface personality as Dos Caras Jr., sort of a Mexican Mr. America personality where we all know it's Del Rio but the heels in charge don't. Could have been something.

WWE will always move on, but they've really struggled to establish a top Hispanic star since Rey left. Every single one has blown out harder than Rey-Rey's knees.

I don't blame Del Rio for leaving when he did. After his incredible debut year in WWE, it's understandable that he wouldn't be thrilled about being demoted to an enhancement level mid-card position. I was a big fan of his through the Mexican Aristocrat gimmick, but like most, I stopped caring around 2012/13 when he lost most of his personality.

I like that he didn't go on a tirade against WWE during the press conference. The news updates and comments sections made it feel like there was tension blowing up, del Rio was doing lines after his matches and he was fired for being such an upstart degenerate, dragging Paige down with him. If the WWE schedule/his role with the company was killing his passion for wrestling, probably best to get out while he's still got a few good years left in him. Maybe when his career is winding down, he'll return for one more run like the Dudleys did this year.

I don't blame Del Rio for leaving when he did. After his incredible debut year in WWE, it's understandable that he wouldn't be thrilled about being demoted to an enhancement level mid-card position. I was a big fan of his through the Mexican Aristocrat gimmick, but like most, I stopped caring around 2012/13 when he lost most of his personality.

I like that he didn't go on a tirade against WWE during the press conference. The news updates and comments sections made it feel like there was tension blowing up, del Rio was doing lines after his matches and he was fired for being such an upstart degenerate, dragging Paige down with him. If the WWE schedule/his role with the company was killing his passion for wrestling, probably best to get out while he's still got a few good years left in him. Maybe when his career is winding down, he'll return for one more run like the Dudleys did this year.
If he is stupid enough to do that, he deserves to get jobbed out to the likes of ZZ Laroupe or The Yeti. He does NOT need WWE at this point in his life. They tried twice with him. Never worked out. However, he DOES do fantastically in place like AAA, LU and RoH. They know how to book someone like him.

If he is stupid enough to do that, he deserves to get jobbed out to the likes of ZZ Laroupe or The Yeti. He does NOT need WWE at this point in his life. They tried twice with him. Never worked out. However, he DOES do fantastically in place like AAA, LU and RoH. They know how to book someone like him.

Del rio as always been great in mexico because his style works in that environmment, but while he a pretty good wrestler, he'S not a great promo guy, he never was, that's why when they first brought him in, they gave him Ricardo, to give him some personality and it worked because for most fans that what they most remember from is u.s run.

I actually watch the episode of ROH that he appeared in before he resign with WWE and the first thing they went to my head after seeing this was why did they give him a live mike, i was so bored watching this segment and i couldn't wait for jay lethal to actually say something to make that segment interesting.

That has been the biggest problem with his whole career, it'S seem like nobody as pick up on the fact that outside of being a good wrestlers, his biggest weakness is talking and keeping the attention of the fans. If he decides to come back to the u.s and sign with a company like ROH, i hope that they will be smart enough to give him a manager or somebody like a ricardo rodriguez to hide this weakness of his because that's the reason nobody as cared for him for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back