The WZ Movie Tournament

How in the fuck has Empire Strikes Back been over looked, quite possibly the greatest sequel ever made and far superior then to the original star wars in every way possible, and better then any Rings movie on here.

I'll think about it. I've tried to keep it to one installment per franchise, with the exceptions being The Godfather and Godfather part II, and Batman and Batman Begins. Batman and Batman Begins are really almost two seperate franchises, and I couldn't in good conscience pick one over the other in regards to the Godfather.

Tell you what; Because Star Wars would be competing in the 70's bracket, and Empire Strikes Back came out in 1980, I will allow Empire to be in the 80's bracket. This also has helped me to decide it's alright to include Revenge of the Sith in the 2000's bracket. Thank you, Shocky.

Star wars was the groundbreaker, but it doesn't compare at all to Empire when it comes to story telling and film making. Empire is simply a superior movie, and in my opinion, the best Sci-Fi movie ever made by far.

American Psycho?

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie...seriously, if popular films are in then this should be in

If the Mothman Prophesies does not make it into this tournament, I am going to be pissed

Personally, I can't stand it. But if I'm running low on ideas for the 2000's bracket, I'll throw it in there for gits and shiggles.

Murfish said:
American Psycho?
Good one. What year did that come out?

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie...seriously, if popular films are in then this should be in
Not if your life depended on it.

Okay, please try posting in a way that doesn't make you look like you have a mental handicap. I honestly didn't understand a single thing you just said.

1.Do you mean "Ask Monkey Mania. He might know."? Cuz Monkey did know, so thanks.
2.Is Equillibrium a movie? Cuz I don't think I've ever even heard of it.
3.Do you mean "I nominate the film Hero."? Cuz if so... maybe.
4. If you're still on about Power Rangers, I already told you. I'd let you die before I put the Power Rangers movie inthe tournament.

I didn't feel like spelling out the nominations, I'm on a psp at the moment. I speak in an odd way at times because I like to twist English by adding purposeful quirks.

Fast and the Furious
Gone in sixty seconds
tommy Boy
Billy Madison
Harold and Kumar go to white castle
Dude Wheres my car ?

They all deseve to be in

Fast and the Furious
Gone in sixty seconds
tommy Boy
Billy Madison
Harold and Kumar go to white castle
Dude Wheres my car ?

They all deseve to be in

1. Ok
2. Ugh... I'll think about it. Personally, I hate that movie, but if people keep asking me to put it in there, I'll do it.
3.Maybe.
4.Maybe.
5. Ok.
6. Hell, no.

Equilibrium is a film that stars Christian Bale. It is inspired by 1984. The entire population is drugged to prevent emotions, it is supposed to be a "cure" for man's natural instinct. Christian is part of a government group that seeks out sense-offenders(people off the drugs) and destroys art that might inspire emotion. Through coincidence he goes of the meds and the movie continues from there(I don't want to spoil it). It is a 2002 film, and I believe that it is on youtube if you don't want to rent it.

Other suggestions:
O
Blood Diamond
Finding Nemo
21 Grams

If your are sticking with the decade idea, and you would like it if older classics made it to the top, then why not run the tournament until there are eight movies left. After that introduce 8 classic movies made before the 70's as the BIG 8 and have them be paired with the other movies. They would have a better chance and introduce an unpredictable element.

Equilibrium is a film that stars Christian Bale. It is inspired by 1984. The entire population is drugged to prevent emotions, it is supposed to be a "cure" for man's natural instinct. Christian is part of a government group that seeks out sense-offenders(people off the drugs) and destroys art that might inspire emotion. Through coincidence he goes of the meds and the movie continues from there(I don't want to spoil it). It is a 2002 film, and I believe that it is on youtube if you don't want to rent it.
Never heard of it. Although, in a strange coincidence, I've always felt that Christian Bale would be good as the lead character for Brave New World, which is very similar to 1984. In fact, one of my projects in high school was to develop a film adaptation of Brave New World, including the cast, director, screenwriter, filming locations, set and costume designs, and a movie poster. And, in the lead role, I cast... Christian Bale.

Other suggestions:
Goody.

Not sure I'm familiar with it.

Blood Diamond
Maybe. It's good, just not sure if belongs in the tournament
Finding Nemo
Pretty sure it's already in there. If not, I had meant to.
I'll think about. Again, it's good, just not sure if it belongs in the tournament.

If your are sticking with the decade idea, and you would like it if older classics made it to the top, then why not run the tournament until there are eight movies left. After that introduce 8 classic movies made before the 70's as the BIG 8 and have them be paired with the other movies. They would have a better chance and introduce an unpredictable element.
It's a tournament of polls and surveys, not a reality TV show. I don't really feel like complicating things any further. If we decide to throw in an extra bracket, I'll do the older movies. If I don't, well I won't be losing any sleep oer it.

Wow, that is a long time. Fortunately, i've added this nifty "save" option to my Microsoft Word. Now, I can keep my Word docs on my computer for as long as I like.

Doubt it. Besides, I make backup disks of all my music, documents, etc. I have strange little quirks like that. I also have to keep the remote controls flush with each other at the top, and the volume can only be set at intervals of 5 and 10.

It's not a long time at all. If it happens after the music tournament, with some of those films it's bound to fail.

Music will get more discussion for the most part because it's quicker to listen to a song than it is watch a film, you can also listen to music almost anywhere. So it has a broader scope. So that tournament will always get more people talking. Also by the end people will be a bit bored of them in general.

I said this to Echelon when he did his women's tournament. Coming straight after the mens it would fail. I also suggested that he didn't use indy or Japanese females, because I knew they wouldn't get hardly any intrest.

It's the same thing here. Adding personal favourites of certain posters is a waste of time. They'll nominate them for the tournament, but they probably won't take the time to talk about them.

You and you alone should pick the films. Go by popularity. For example if I suggested a couple of films that are my personal favourites like Amelie, The Last Seduction, City Of God, Capturing the Friedmans. Nobody would really care about them other than me. The threads wouldn't get any discssion. It's just a waste of time.

Imagine if the rock tournament was a music tournament instead. It would get more people involved. Adding Madonna would get people talking, so would adding Spice Girls.

There is never going to be an ultimate tournament. So it's best off if you try and creat one that will get the most people talking.

Like I said before, that's why I'm trying my best to pick movies that will be talked about, AND are actually good movies, worthy of being considered great. I refuse to rig the contest, but hopefully, there will be some match-ups that will generate a lot of discussion. Even if something like Being John Malkovich went up against Forrest Gump, sure Forrest Gump is gonna win in a landside, but because there are so many people who will be discussing Forrest Gump, they will also see the discussion about Being John Malkovich, and be inspired enough to go out and rent it. In the end, the purpose of my tournament is really to just get the forum members to experience new movies. It's all just my way of getting a mass movie discussion underway. I really don't care which movie "wins", although I would probably be a little pissed if something like Star Wars coasted through by voters who didn't even bother to post about WHY they Star Wars.

Also, I don't care how small it is, or few people on here have actually seen it, I WILL be putting City of God in the tournament, and I will insist to every person who happens to enter that thread that they see it It's a great fucking movie. It's like Michael Mann went to Brazil and shot a dirtier, more vicious version of Heat.

Like I said before, that's why I'm trying my best to pick movies that will be talked about, AND are actually good movies, worthy of being considered great. I refuse to rig the contest, but hopefully, there will be some match-ups that will generate a lot of discussion.

You should decide how many films will be in your tournament. Divide them up by however many and pick a certain number of films from each year. From 1983-2008. It'll leave out some classics. But it'll stop people bitching that certain films aren't involved.

For example you might have three films from 1984. Ghostbusters, Gremlins & Terminator. If the criteria is 3 films from that year it'll stop bitching. It'll also limit the ammount of sequels.

Even if something like Being John Malkovich went up against Forrest Gump, sure Forrest Gump is gonna win in a landside, but because there are so many people who will be discussing Forrest Gump, they will also see the discussion about Being John Malkovich,

To give you an example of the type of posters who frequent forums I'll tell you about a thread that was made a year ago. It was called Has Anyone Ever Seen Titanic? That would be the multi Oscar winning, only 10 years old, highest grossing film of all time Titanic. The general responses were along the lines of either ''Yeah I've seen it, it's dated, but good'' or ''I've never seen this, my parents like it'' If posters are like that with a film as big as Titanic. Forrest & Malkovich will get no love from anybody.

and be inspired enough to go out and rent it.

If people won't watch a You Tube match on somebodys recommendation, then they won't a film.

In the end, the purpose of my tournament is really to just get the forum members to experience new movies.

No. It's to get people talking.

It's all just my way of getting a mass movie discussion underway.

It's a waste of your time if that's the case. You should do it because you want to. Not so you can get a mod spot.

I really don't care which movie "wins", although I would probably be a little pissed if something like Star Wars coasted through by voters who didn't even bother to post about WHY they Star Wars.

That's what will happen though.

Also, I don't care how small it is, or few people on here have actually seen it, I WILL be putting City of God in the tournament, and I will insist to every person who happens to enter that thread that they see it It's a great fucking movie. It's like Michael Mann went to Brazil and shot a dirtier, more vicious version of Heat.

That's a terrible comparison. Heat is near 3 hours long, not many people have that attention span for a slow burning thriller.

Putting City Of God in is a total waste of time. If you were a moderater I'd give you more free reign. But as this was suggested by me a year ago, Echelon wanted to do it, and now you've decided you want to do one. I've decided to enforce my way on you. You can run it. But I'm going to approve it first.

wouldnt this eventually catch "The match tournament" syndrome??? After a few posts, people will have pretty much said all there is to say...

Possibly. Depends what matches go through. Fight Club, Shawshank, Usual Suspects and others will have a couple of threads worth, but 300, Saw, the stuff that younger people prefer really won't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back