The WZ Movie Tournament

"300 wuz totaally awsum, they whupped em and it luked kewl" will be the post on that one.

300 was fucking laborious by the way. Just so that clarified for anyone who thought different. One of the worst movies ive ever seen.

It's ok. Nothing special. When I say that 300 won't get much discussion in later rounds, I lie. It'll get plenty, just boring discussion. But it's the sort of film that should be in this thing.

You should decide how many films will be in your tournament. Divide them up by however many and pick a certain number of films from each year. From 1983-2008. It'll leave out some classics. But it'll stop people bitching that certain films aren't involved.

For example you might have three films from 1984. Ghostbusters, Gremlins & Terminator. If the criteria is 3 films from that year it'll stop bitching. It'll also limit the ammount of sequels.
I thought about maybe doing it that way. I may still. I'm not completely decided on how I'm gonna run it. Right now I'm just compiling movies that could/should/will be used in the tourney.

To give you an example of the type of posters who frequent forums I'll tell you about a thread that was made a year ago. It was called Has Anyone Ever Seen Titanic? That would be the multi Oscar winning, only 10 years old, highest grossing film of all time Titanic. The general responses were along the lines of either ''Yeah I've seen it, it's dated, but good'' or ''I've never seen this, my parents like it'' If posters are like that with a film as big as Titanic. Forrest & Malkovich will get no love from anybody.
Well, Titanic suffers from the stereotype of being a "romance" and a "chick flick". Even I've only seen it once. Forrest Gump is an extremely well liked movie. It was third on my Senior yearbook's list of our classes favorite movie. I think there are some movies on my list that might surprise in terms of how many people here have seen it.

If people won't watch a You Tube match on somebodys recommendation, then they won't a film.
True.

No. It's to get people talking.
Well, yeah, that's prett much what I meant.

It's a waste of your time if that's the case. You should do it because you want to. Not so you can get a mod spot.
Lol I honestly was not thinking at all about a mod spot. I do want to do it, and I want to do it because I love talking about movies, but so many of the movie discussions here are so mundane. I love comic books and super hero movies, but there are a LOT more kinds of movies to discuss. This is my way of getting discussion going about movies that I like, and hopefully movies that other people like too. There can't really be THAT many idiots on this site who haven't seen a single movie made before 1990.
Can there?

That's what will happen though.
I know :(

That's a terrible comparison. Heat is near 3 hours long, not many people have that attention span for a slow burning thriller.
Isn't City of God about that long. I don't remember the running time, but it seemed kind of epic

Putting City Of God in is a total waste of time. If you were a moderater I'd give you more free reign. But as this was suggested by me a year ago, Echelon wanted to do it, and now you've decided you want to do one. I've decided to enforce my way on you. You can run it. But I'm going to approve it first.
That's fine. I was actually going to invite you to be in a sort of "panel" anyways, to help me decide which movies go in, and where they're seeded.
Also, does ths mean you're putting your foot down and refusing to let City of God into the tournament?

Like I said you can do it. But I'm suggesting that you add a wider variety of films for the next one. This one should be short, with franchise films only. Then you can develope your second however you want.

I was sort of coming to that conclusion also. I'm probably gonna slash it to 32 films from each decade, starting by cutting the lesser-known films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back