The Wrestlezone Tag Team Tournament

Who Will Win the Wrestlezone Tag Team Tournament???

• The British Bulldgos

• Edge and Christian

Results are only viewable after voting.
WCW Region, Area 3

Harlem Heat vs. Rhino & Steve Corino
Very hard one for me here. I'm a big mark for Corino, I love his stuff. But Harlem Heat in its prime was one of the shining beacons of hope in WCW. Stevie Ray sucked big time, but Booker could carry this. Considering Rhino & Corino didn't have as much experience here, I'm giving the nod to Heat, but just barely.
Winners: Harlem Heat

The Blackjacks vs. The Rock n Sock Connection
Another hard one here. Blackjacks were some of the toughest sons of bitches to ever come into this sport. However, considering how good the Rock & Foley were, I'm giving them the nod here. How can you not? This team may just be the dark horse to win it all.
Winners: The Rock n Sock Connection

The Headshrinkers/Samoan Swat Team vs. Evolution
Headshrinkers don't get the respect they deserve. For their time they were fantastic, the first real Samoans to actually MOVE around in the ring not like slothes (Is Snuka Samoan?). Rikishi got his start here and he was excellent. The other team we have a very fine wrestler in Orton...and Batista. Headshrinkers get this one easily.
Winners: The Headshrinkers/Samoan Swat Team

The Hollywood Blondes vs. The Dark Carnival
I am in disbelief so many people are picking Carnival here. Shame on all of you. Hollywood Blondes are another one of my picks to win this whole thing, rarely has a team been so technically sound and just so god damn amazing as the Blondes were. And while I also mark out big time for Muta, he was past his prime in his days with Vampiro. Vampiro...meh. He's decent. Nothing special. Blondes take this easily.
Winners: Hollywood Blondes

Results from TNA Region, Area 2

1. 2. Toru Tanaka and Mr. Fuji vs. 31. The Bad Breed (Ian and Axl Rotten)

Tanaka and Fuji have no problem kicking the living hell out of the much over rated Bad Breed. The fans have spoken, and Taipei Death Matches suck.

Tanaka/Fuji
86%
The Bad Breed
13%

2. 15. Hayabusa and Jinzai Shinzaki vs. 18. Taz and Kevin Sullivan

Personally, I'm disapointed with the outcome of this match, but what can you do? This is why I didn't put to many Japanese teams in this thing, because I just feel they are too under exposed to get a fair run in these things.

Hayabusa/Shinzaki
34%
Taz/Sullivan
65%

3. 7. The British Bulldogs (The Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith) vs. 26. The Godwinns (Henry O. and Phinieas I.)

Nobody hates wrestling it appears. Our 3rd perfect vote getter thus far are the British Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs
100%
The Godwinns
0%

4. 10. The Quebecers (Jacque Rougeau and Pierre) vs. 23. Too Cool (Scotty 2 Hotty and Grand Masta Sexay)

Prax may rest easy, the Mounties, err the Quebecers live to fight another day. So for my Canadian shot of the day, i use an old saying. If a tree falls in the woods, does it make any noise? With the Quebecers, if Jacque Rougeau saved Quebec Wrestling, does anyone outside of Quebec care?...haha I had to, (BANNED BITCH -this message brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Prax )

The Quebecers
68%
Too Cool
31%

Now onto todays matchups. The following matches take place in the WWE region inside of Madison Square Garden. All matches are performed under basic WWE Rules.

Match 1.
4. The Midnight Express (Dennis Condrey and Bobby Eaton) vs. 29. 3 Count (Gregory Helms and Shannon Moore)
Credentials:
Express:
All-Star Wrestling (Virginia)
ASW Tag Team Championship (1 time)

Mid-South Wrestling
Mid-South Tag Team Champions (2 times)

World Class Championship Wrestling
WCCW American Tag Team Championship (1 time)

National Wrestling Alliance
NWA World Tag Team Championship (Mid-Atlantic version) (1 time)
NWA Bluegrass Tag Team Championship (1 time)

3 Count:
NWA Wildside
NWA Wildside Tag Team Championship (1 time) - Helms and Moore

World Championship Wrestling
WCW Hardcore Championship (1 time) Karagias, Moore, and Helms held the title together

Match 2:
13. The Funks (Dory and Terry Funk) vs. 20. The Lone Riders (Kid Kash and Dallas)

Credentials:
Funks:
All Japan Pro Wrestling
NWA International Tag Team Championship (3 times) - with Terry Funk

Championship Wrestling from Florida
NWA Florida Tag Team Championship (1 time)

Funking Conservatory
FC Tag Team Championship (1 time)

Georgia Championship Wrestling
NWA Georgia Tag Team Championship (1 time)

NWA Hollywood Wrestling
NWA World Tag Team Championship (Los Angeles Version) (1 time)
NWA Amarillo Tag Team Championship (2 times)
NWA World Tag Team Championship (Texas Version) (2 times)

Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI ranked # 9 of the 100 best tag teams of the "PWI Years"

Southwest Championship Wrestling
SWCW World Tag Team Championship (1 time)

World Wrestling Council
WWC Tag Team Championship (1 time)

The Lone Riders:
Total Nonstop Action Wrestling
NWA World Tag Team Championship (2 times)

Match 3:
5. The Valiants (Jimmy and Johnny Valiant) vs. 28. Men On a Mission (Mo and Mable)

Credentials:
Valiants:
Regional
NWA Florida Tag Team Championship (1 time)
NWA Florida United States Tag Team Championship (1 time)
NWA World Tag Team Championship (San Francisco version) (1 time)

World Wrestling All-Stars
WWA Tag Team Championship (3 times)

World Wide Wrestling Federation|World Wrestling Federation
WWF Hall of Fame (Class of 1996)
WWWF World Tag Team Championship (1 time)

PWI Tag Team of the Year award in 1974.

Men on a Mission:
Pro Wrestling Federation
PWF Tag Team Championship (2 times)

World Wrestling Federation
WWF Tag Team Championship (1 time)

Match 4:
12. The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael P.S. Hayes and Terry Gordy* Garvin was supposed to be in it, but Gordy and Hayes had more success, so it is changed) vs. 21. Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit
Credentials:
Freebirds:
Global Wrestling Federation
GWF Tag Team Championship (1 time)

Georgia Championship Wrestling
NWA National Tag Team Championship (3 times)

NWA Mid-America
NWA Mid-America Tag Team Championship (2 times)

PWI Tag Team of the Year award in 1981 for Hayes, Gordy & Roberts.
PWI Ranked Michael Hayes and Terry Gordy #3 of the 100 best tag teams during the PWI Years in 2003.

Universal Wrestling Federation (Bill Watts) | Mid-South Wrestling
Mid-South Tag Team Championship (2 times)

World Class Championship Wrestling
NWA American Tag Team Championship (1 time)

Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Tag Team of the Year award in 1980. - Gordy & Roberts
Feud of the Year award in 1983. - Freebirds vs. the Von Erichs
Feud of the Year award in 1984. - Freebirds vs. the Von Erichs
Worked Match of the Year award in 1984. - Freebirds vs. the Von Erichs, July 4, 1984, Fort Worth, Texas
Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 2005) Hayes, Gordy, & Roberts

Benoit and Jericho:
WWF/WWE World Tag Team Championship (1 time)

Warning: If anyone decides to make this into a Chris Benoit=Murderer thread, I'm handing out one week bans, no questions asked. This is about Chris Benoit the Wrestler, not Chris Benoit the man. If you can not separate the two, I would prefer you didn't vote on that match. This is the only warning.

The Poll is now open, it will close on Wednesday July 18, at 6pm ET.

That right bitches. The Quebecers are winning this whole entire damn thing! lol.
Don't you guys worry though, I'll have plenty of arguments as to why they should beat the Bulldogs in the second round, when the time is right. I'm a Man on a Mission.

Which conveniently brings me to todays matches.

These ones are actually pretty easy all around.

Midnight Express over 3-count
No doubt Helms is a great wrestler, but Shannon moore absolutely sucks. Also I don't see how I can objectively vote for 3-Count, considering they were a 3 person team. Just weird for me. Nevertheless, Midnight Express is a great team that I and a lot of people know little about, so hopefully they don't lose out based on that and people marking out to Helms.

The Funks over the Lone Riders
Kid Kash = Overrated.
Dallas = who gives a shit.
The Lone Riders sounds like a stupid gimmick. I admittedly haven't seen much of these two together but I think I've seen enough to come to the conclusion this match should go ONE HUNDRED PERCENT to the funks. Anything less proves to me TNA fanboys know nothing about wrestling, and I shouldn't have to explain why you should vote for the Funks (especially considering I can't get banned for spam :D)

Valiants over Men on a Mission
While I think Viscera/Mable doesn't get the credit he deserves, I certainly don't think this match should go any less than 100% again to the Valiants. Obviously it's another team we don't hear much of, but they truly are one of the greatest teams of all time. The fact that Jimmy Valiant looks like a cross between ZZ Top and Zeus should amplify an reason to vote for the Valiants :D

Freebirds vs. Jerich and Benoit
Obviously a lot of people are going to have a tough time with this one. Benoit and Jericho are two of the best technical wrestlers of all time, but obviously didn't have all too much time together as a team, and it isn't a case like Rock and Sock where they just mesh that well together. They do, don't get me wrong, but they weren't as special as RNS. As for the freebirds, I fuckin hate Michael Hayes, but it's mainly because he used to do Slam Jam for WWE during commercials telling everyone when WWE would be coming to Canada and they never said Montreal or it was mostly just house shows and I would get pissed and transfer that hatred to Hayes, maybe it's because he's kind of a douche, but I can't Deny the Freebirds were a great team in their day. Kind of a ridiculous gimmick but it worked at the time. Anyway. Rant about Hayes over.

P.S (no pun intended... two puns in one post... god help us all), I inserted that ban for you Shocky ;)

Today's matches seemed like easy picks to me except for the last match.
First match:
Midnight Express v. 3 Count
No contest in my book as I could see this as being 100% Midnight Express. They roll in this one.

Match 2:
The FUnks v. The Lone Riders
Another one that should be 100% ass whipping. The Funks destroy and bloody the Lone Riders.

Match 3:
Valiants v. Men on a Mission
Maybe 3 100% in this bracket? Could happen as I see the Valiants rolling over Men on a Mission.

Match 4:
The Freebirds v. Benoit/Jericho
This took me 20 minutes to decide on. Benoit and Jericho are two of my favorite wrestlers to watch but only teamed up for a little bit. The Freebirds are what tag team wrestling is all about. I'm really torn on this one. This one is going to go down as a time limit draw, but since I have to pick a team I'll take the Freebirds since they are tag team wrestling.

4. The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton and Dennis Condrey) vs. 29. 3 Count (Gregory Helms and Shannon Moore)
Since I thought Condrey and Moore both suck it comes down to Eaton v Helms and one Alabama Jam later Eaton has it in teh bag
The FUnks v. The Lone Riders
IS Dallas the guy now known as Hoyt. Dont know and dosnet matter, The Funks rope and brand the young Kid Rock wannabees
5. The Valiants (Jimmy and Johnny Valiant) vs. 28. Men On a Mission (Mo and Mable) Yo Yo Yo Dont know but short of Mable falling over on top of the Valainst I cant see MOM winning

The Freebirds v. Benoit/Jericho
Freebirds probaly the only team who I feel was a truly gret team in this whole bracket. Even without Feebird(not NWO rules) they take this all the way to Bad Street USA

Midnight Express V. 3 Count

I'm going with Midnight Express.. No debate here.. They should get no less than 95% of the vote.. 3 Count was a comedy gimmick plain and simple and not even worth a debate.

Winner: Midnight Express

The Funks V. Lone Riders

Another match not worth the debate. Terry and Dory Funk are not both just great singles wrestlers but also a damn good tag team.. The Funks should get no less than 80% of the vote becasue truthfully the Lone Riders are an unforgettable team.

Winner: Funks

Valiants V. Men On A Mission.

Damn, another no debate match... Vailants are legends.. Men On A Misson was just used to give Mabel a push... Boy, if that didn't work.

Winners: Vailants

The Freebirds V. Benoit/Jericho

Damn this is a hard one to pick.. But, I'm going with the Chris Connection... I mean they are both soild wrestlers and two wrestlers that will be remembred for a long time. I don't like Hayes too much so thats one reason why I'm not going with them but Jericho and Benoit are just better wrestlers and two of my all time favorites.

Winners: Benoit/Jericho

Midnight Express vs 3 Count

The Alabama Jammer baby! I love Midnight Express matches with the Rock N Roll Express. "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton and "Loverboy" Dennis Condrey were two awesome wrestlers. Now we got 3 Count a Fake ass boy band! I love "Suger" Shane Helms in WCW he was a talented wrestler while Shannon Moore can't get his dance move right. if Helms wasn't in this match I would say SQUASH but ahhh....hell Midnight Express
Winners:Midnight Express

The Funks vs The Loner Riders

Okay we got two of the Greatest Wrestlers in History against a okay wrestler and a Test look-A-like that pop and locks. Okay....tell the Lone Riders to saddle up and ride off in the sunset
Winner:The Funks

The Valiants vs Men On A Mission
M.O.M was a great team then I woke up! No discussion The Valiants.
Winners: The Valiants

The FreeBirds Vs Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit

Hey...everyone stop knocking on Mikey Hayes I like him when he was Doc Hendrix lol but anyway we got the two of the most technical wresters in sports today. The Freebird are good but you have to go with Jericho and Benoit hell that Crossface/walls finisher we break someone in have.
Chris and Chris

Everyone else seems to be writing this match off as a squash but I don't see it that way. This match was a tough decision for me. Helms and Moore are two very talented guys. Shannon Moore has been absolutely raped by the WWE, so I think some people may not be aware of how good he really is. Gregory Helms was one of the most solid guys on the WWE roster before his injury. With that being said, The Midnight Express has too much history. They are one of the true legendary teams that had the right combination of skill, charisma and chemistry.

Funks v. Lone Rider
Ok...this is a squash. Absolutely no contest.

Valiants v. M.O.M.
Another match that should not be close. Big does not equal talented, no matter how many pushes Big Daddy V gets.
Winner: Valiants

The Freebirds v. Jericho & Benoit
This is definately the toughest match in the tournament thus far. Obviously both Chris' are insanely talented. There are only a handful of teams that I would vote for against Jericho & Benoit and the Freebirds are one of them.
Winner: Freebirds

Unfortunatley this will be a squash...

Funks v. Lone Rider
and another

Valiants v. M.O.M.
And another
Winner: Valiants

Man what a toughy teh freebirds were excellent but I'm goign to go with the canadian chris combo here, ione of my fav tag teams for ability.

Winner benoit and Y2J

WWE Region, Area 4

The Midnight Express vs. 3 Count
I don't understand how this match could be anything other then incredibly easy. While Helms is great, Shannon Moore has never impressed me, and really has done nothing but piss me off since Day 1. Not to mention 3 Count was the worst fucking gimmick, ever. Take that against a legendary team like the Midnight Express? No god damn way, super squash, anything less then 100% is heresy.
Winners: The Midnight Express

Dory & Terry Funk vs. The Lone Riders
While I've enjoyed Kid Kash, we're talking about the Funks. Again, anything less then 100% is heresy.
Winners: The Funks

The Valiants vs. Men on a Mission
While MOM are rather large, they stand no chance here. But I can definately see some jackass voting for MOM. Valiants take this one easily.
Winners: The Valiants

The Freebirds vs. Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho
While I mark out for the old Freebirds-Von Erich feud in WCCW, I can't honestly give them the win here. Neither Hayes nor Gordy were that skilled of wrestlers, but they made up for it in personality. That said, they face two of the greatest wrestlers to ever live. Easy win here for Benoit & Jericho IMO, though I'm sure it'll be closer then I think.
Winners: Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit

The Midnight Express vs. 3 Count

Midnight Express take this one in style. 3 Count isn't good enough to lace their boots.

Dory & Terry Funk vs. The Lone Riders

Hhmmm...the Funks or....nevermind. The Funks.

The Valiants vs. Men on a Mission

The Valiants get my vote here, just because Men on a Mission subjected me to that god awful rapping for so damn long. I could give a rats ass who they'd face here, MOM is going down.

The Freebirds vs. Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho

Wow...a lot of people picking Benoit/Jericho here. I won't. The Freebirds are one of the greatest tag teams in history. They were number 3 on PWI's list of 100 Greatest Tag Teams, they were multiple time champions..hell, they invented their own rules! As a team, Jericho and Benoit don't stand anywhere close to the Freebirds. People are picking them because of their individual accomplishments, not because of their team ability, which from what I understand from the Mega Powers, is not the correct thing to do.

Freebirds all the way.

This is definately the toughest match in the tournament thus far. Obviously both Chris' are insanely talented. ]
*snickers a little*

Now onto results from WCW Region, Area 3

1. 3. Harlem Heat (Booker T and Stevie Ray) vs. 30. The Network (Rhino and Steve Corino)

This one went as expected with a thorough beat down by Harlem Heat on the Network. The Heat move onto the second round with relative ease.

Harlem Heat
90%
Network
9%

2. 14. The Blackjacks (Mulligan and Lanza) vs. 19. The Rock 'N' Sock Connection (The Rock and Mankind)

So far, we've had a ton of blow outs in this tournament. Only one match has been close so far. That is, until now. Lady and Gentlemen, we have our first Tag Team Tournament tie. Neither one of the Blackjacks or Rock N Sock were able to pull away.

Blackjacks
50%
Rock/Sock
50%

3. 6. The Samoan Swat Team/ Headshrinkers (Fatu and Samu) vs. 27. Evolution (Randy Orton and Dave Batista)

This one ended up being much more close then I thought it would (or should) be. However, the Samoans have enough in the end to take down Evolution and move on.

Headshrinkers
69%
Evolution
30%

4. 11. The Hollywood Blondes (Steve Austin and Brian Pillman) vs. 22. the Dark Carnival (The Great Muta and Vampiro)

It was a real shame that either Steve Austin or Muta had to go home in round one. In the end, the voters decided that the stronger tag team should go on, and the Blondes go to round 2.

Blondes
80%
Carnival
19%

Round 2 Matches;
Harlem Heat vs. the Blackjacks vs. The Rock 'N' Sock Connection
The Samoan Swat Team vs. The Hollywood Blondes

Now onto todays matchups. Today we have the final first round matches from Madison Square Garden. All matches are under basic WWE Rules.

Match 1:
1. The Steiner Brothers (Rick and Scott Steiner) vs. 32. The Orient Express (Kato and Pat Tanaka)

Credentials:
Steiners:
* National Wrestling Alliance
* National
o NWA United States Tag Team Championship (1 time)
* Regional
o NWA World Tag Team Championship (Mid-Atlantic version) (1 time)
o NWA Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Championship (1 time, current)

* New Japan Pro Wrestling
o IWGP World Tag Team Championship (2 times)

* Pro Wrestling America
o PWA Tag Team Championship (1 time)

* World Championship Wrestling
o WCW World Tag Team Championship (6 times)
* WCW United States Tag Team Championship (1 Time)
* Winners of the Pat O'Connor Memorial International Cup Tag Team Tournament in 1990

* World Wrestling Federation
o WWF Tag Team Championship (2 times)

* Pro Wrestling Illustrated
o PWI Tag Team of the Year in 1990.
o PWI Tag Team of the Year in 1993.
o PWI ranked them # 2 of the best 100 tag teams of the "PWI Years" in 2003

Orient Express:
* American Wrestling Association

* AWA Southern Tag Team Championship (1 time)
* AWA World Tag Team Championship (1 time)

* Continental Wrestling Association

* CWA/AWA International Tag Team Championship (4 times)

Match 2:
16. The Acolytes/APA (Ron Simmons and John Bradshaw Layfield) vs. 17. Raven and Stevie Richards

Credentials:
APA:
* Memphis Championship Wrestling

* MCW Southern Tag Team Championship (1 time)

* Ohio Valley Wrestling

* OVW Southern Tag Team Championship (1 time)

* World Wrestling Federation/Entertainment

* WWF Tag Team Championship (3 times)

Raven/Richards:
* Extreme Championship Wrestling

* ECW World Tag Team Championship (2 times)

Match 3:
8. Rob Van Dam and Sabu vs. 25. Sinister (Mikey Whipwreck and Yoshihiro Tajiri)

Credentials:
RVD/Sabu:
Extreme Championship Wrestling

* ECW World Tag Team Championship (2 times)

Sinister:
Extreme Championship Wrestling

* ECW World Tag Team Championship (1 times)

Match 4:
9. The Dream Team (Greg Valentine and Brutus Beefcake) vs. 24. X-X-X (Low-Ki and Elix Skipper)

Credentials:
Dream Team:
The Dream Team

* World Wrestling Federation

* WWF World Tag Team Championship (1 time) [17]

* 'Pro Wrestling Illustrated'

* Ranked # 94 of the 100 best Tag teams during the "PWI" years in 2003.

Triple X:
* Total Nonstop Action Wrestling

* NWA World Tag Team Championship (3 times)

The Poll is now Open. It will close on Thursday, July 19th at 6pm ET.

The Steiner Brothers vs The Orient Express

The Steiners are my Favorite Tag team of all time. I even have some of theirs matches in NJPW Boy I remember when Scott can move now he can't even bend his arms without busting a vein. Now we got The Orient Express who did nothing but they had Mr Fuji I do you say squash in chinese?
Winners:Steiners

The Acolytes vs Stevie Richards and Raven

I love the APA two Big dudes that come whip ass and drink a beer or two hmmm..where did I see that before? I don't know about this team of Stevie Richard and Raven. I think Stevie was there for comedy relief. So I got to go with the APA
Winners: Acolytes.....Damn

Sabu and RVD vs Sinister (Whipwreck and Tajiri)

Whoa......ECW all around. now this is RVDgurl type of match. You have RVD in his prime and Sabu without all the injury. One of the best team ever put together in ECW. At first I didn't like Tajiri because he stole Muta bit but I learn to forgive because of his wrestling talent. Whipwreck became my boy when he beat Sandman for the Title. This is a hard one because I like both team but you got with the more mainstream team.....
Winners: RVD and Sabu

The Dream Team vs Triple X

If it wasn't for Greg Valentine this team would been a nightmare. "The Hammer" to me is the most and I mean the most underrated wrestler in history hands down. Beefcake...well was just Beefcake. I love Triple X Elix Skipper is a great talent I'm upset they put him with a chokejob like David Young. I'm even more uspet that Low Ki aka Senshi got loss in the sauce in the X division. Valentine have to carry this team while Beefcake (damn that name gay) stand in the corner and watch.
Winners: Triple X

thgis one is going to be a squash of a match because everyone is in their prime so that means that scott does not get hurt every minute and there is also the mainstream attention that the stieners have in the us over Orient Express so i predict that the stieners are going to get at least 90 % of the vote

Two legit badasses verses two ECW wrestlers who became glorified Jobbers in the WWE and even though Raven as has sucess in TNA this is about tag teams and not single wrestlers so it will be another squash.........DAMM
Winners: Acolytes/B]

An all ECW match while Sinster has some talent I belive that RVD and Sabu get the win based on talent and name recongtion

Don't really know enough so i pick Dream team Randomly sry not to be of help
Winners: The Dream Team

Lets see the only question is wheter the match or the ring inbto will be longer

By himslef Raven might have been able to beat either indivdually but then you realize his backup is Stevie whose only purpose seemed to be to get teh snot kicked out of him and lose the belst for teh team.

Winners: Acolytes

Team ECW in their non injured prime well its a near tossup between them and teh Dudleys as to who was teh best as the hardly met but really they were the top and no one even close.

Beefcake even in his prime was very aptly named as all he is is beefcake. On the other hand we had one of the greatest combos of the early TNA era and whose acreers went into the toilet after they split. I still rember Primtime fondly from WCW and am glad they are back together again and hope they take the belts form Angle and Joe

Winners: Triple X

The Stiners Vs Orient Express

No question as to who is going to walk away with this one.. Do I smell squash in the future of Orient Express? I THINK I DO!

Winners: Stiners

Well I'm going with the Acolytes. I loved them as a tag team and Ron Simmons is a damn beast! Richards and Raven well I really don't like them. But they will get a few votes becasue some people are still huge Raven fans which is something I never understood.

Winners: The Acylotes

Sabu and RVD VS Whipwreck and Tajri

Well this is two ECW team against one another. All four guys are extremely talented and where all very very popular in ECW. But Sabu and RVD will take this one. No doubt about it.

Winners: Sabu and RVD

The Dreamteam vs XXX

The Dreamteam isn't too dreamy in my point of view.. Valentine was a damn good wrestler by himself and I feel him and Flair formed at great team back in the day.. Brutus was nothing but Hogans sidekick in my point of view, if it wasn't for Hogan we would have never known who Brutus was.. Whatever company Hogan was with so was Brutus... SO with that said I'm going with Triple XXX damn good team with damn good skills and there just two fast fot The Dreamteam.

Winner: Triple X

The Steiner Brothers over The Orient Express
In their prime, the Steiners were one of the best teams of all time. We know that Scott and even Rick have gone incredibly downhill since their Steiner Bros. days, but they were just so dominating as a team. The Orient Express I don't know much about, however they ring a bell as actually being a good team, but nowhere near Steiner Bros qualiy, you can tell that just from their accolades. This one should be a squash.

The Acolytes over Stevie Richards and Raven
This is where I'm afraid the ECW fanboys show up. A lot of people seem to think Raven is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, and that's fine, but Richards, although he is talented in the ring, is nothing more than a glorified jobber in my opinion. That being said, you have two world champions in Simmons and Layfield. In fact, I truly believe that Simmons could one day be a hall of famer, and even JBL if his career wasn't so marred with injuries. To be able to go from basically a nobody to world champion in the course of like a year is incredibly impressive. And I'm just speaking individually so far (because I'm sure that you can't speak of Raven and Richards as that much of an actual team, which seems to be the case a lot with ECW tag teams... anyway), but then you look at the APA as a team as well and realize this one should be 100% Acolytes, anything less will be an insult and proof that a lot of ECW fanboys don't know much about true wrestling [/rant].

Sabu and RVD over Sinister (Whipwreck and Tajiri)
Oi. This match is both good and bad for me. I hate voting for an ECW team (lol) but this also means one of them gets eliminated, hehe. The truth is Sabu and RVD work well in a team together, but that's only because they're both spot monkeys. What sucks even more for me is that they probably make it to this region's finals. i just hope the Steiners or APA have enough to take them out and I don't have to rant about ECW fanboys again.

The Dream Team over Triple X
TNA fanboys [rant] will probably decide this one, and it's ok because this fairly close, but a team ain't called the Dream Team for no reason. Valentine was the real deal and a true legend, and Beefcake better than some people give him credit for, and certainly should've won more titles in his career. Triple X is obviously a good team, regardless, I'm marking out for the Dream team and going with them here.

Round 2 matches:
Steiners vs. APA (possibly one of the hardest decisions I'll ever have to make)
Sabu & RVD vs. The Dream Team (I hate having to vote Sabu & RVD into the third round)

WWE Region, Area 1

The Steiners vs. The Orient Express
Orient Express were pretty good...but we're talking about the god damn Steiners here people. Easy win for the Steiners.
Winners: The Steiners

APA vs. Raven & Stevie Richards
While I mark out big time for Raven & Stevie, they really weren't that good of a team together. Every match Stevie gets beaten badly, Raven comes out of nowhere with the save, end of match. That being said, as much as I dislike JBL's singles career, for some reason he was a much better wrestler in the APA days. This guy just looked like he legitly beat the shit out of people in the ring. And Ron Simmons may be one of the most underrated men in the history of wrestling, people tend to forget the "Farooq" was the first ever black NWA champion. APA gets the win here.
Winners: APA

Rob Van Dam & Sabu vs. Mikey Whipwreck & Yoshihiro Tajiri
Man...this one was alot harder for me then probably most people. While Whipwreck was nothing special, Tajiri is fucking astounding. Rarely has a guy been able to entertain me in every single match he takes part in. Tajiri did. Seriously, one of the greatest living asian wrestlers of all time. However Mikey is the leak wink here, and an experienced team like RVD & Sabu should be able to take this one. This would be a great match though.
Winners: RVD & Sabu

Greg Valentine & Brutus Beefcake vs. Low-Ki & Elix Skipper
While I agree with Prax that Greg Valentine is a damn legend (track down his IC title matches in the 80s with guys like Steamboat...fucking amazing) I disagree about Beefcake. Biggest waste of space of the 80s. Not a drop of talent in his body. Couldn't wrestle for shit, his finisher was a god damn sleeper, and the only reason he was around was because he was Hogan's best bud. That being said, Low-Ki/Senshi is fucking amazing. Another legend in the making. And while Elix isn't as good, he's also a very underrated and fantastic X-Division-style wrestler. XXX take this one because of how badly Beefcake sucks.
Winners: XXX

X, do you want to know why JBL was better as a tag team wrestler? In fact it's not even a case of being better, it's a case of playing a different role. JBL understand ring psychology so well that he made you believe he was a shitty wrestler in his latest single's run, because that's the character he played. He played the cocky but cheating heel and he played it to perfection. I'm not saying he's actually a great wrestler or anything but he didn't suck, not by a long shot, considering how well he played his role as a heel.

Midnight Express vs. 3 Count:
While I'm not as down on 3 Count as others, we're talking about the freaking Midnight Express. Another one of those just damn good tag teams from the 80's. I love Helms, but he is outmatched here.

The Funks vs. the Lone Riders:
This is another, if you vote for the Lone Riders, you hate wrestling situation. The Funks are just so fucking good its sick. They are the only set of brothers (real) to go on and win World Heavyweight titles in their singles career. That should be enough.

Valiants vs. M.O.M.
Again, another squash match. M.O.M. are horrible. While the Valiants maybe a little over rated, they certainly have enough to get the job done against the Men on a Mission.

Freebirds vs. Chris Cross.
Am I the only one that feels the Freebirds were horribly over rated throughout their entire careers. Honestly, have they done anything note worthy. They got by on Cheap heat, and cheap heat alone. Hey, Lets make our robes into confederate flags in the south. It's worse then a Mick Foley Cheap Pop. Hayes is garbage in the ring as well. He got by on barely enough charisma.

That being said, Benoit and Jericho snap Hayes in half with the Walls of Jericho and Crossface combo.

*This is different from the Mega Powers in my opinion. 1. Jericho and Benoit actually held onto a tag team title, the Powers didn't. 2. Benoit and Jericho got along in real life, Savage and Hogan hate each other. 3. The Brainbusters > The Freebirds.

Steiners vs. the Orient Express
The Steiners should destroy the Orient Express with no problem. If you haven't seen the real steiner brothers wrestle, you are missing some insanely good wrestlers.

APA vs. Richards/Raven
While I feel Raven is the best individual in the match, this team is certainly outmatched by the APA. Ron Simmons is the better of the two Acolytes. Bradshaw is just garbage, but he's a tough son of a bitch.

Sabu and RVD vs. Sinister:
This really isn't a matchup in my opinion. RVD and Sabu were fucking awesome back in ECW, before the WWE limited their movesets, which has given them the ridiculous title of Spot Monkeys * (For real spot monkeys, see Matt and Jeff Hardy).

The Dream Team vs. X-X-X
I feel XXX is highly over rated. Greg Valentine has enough talent in his pinky alone to wrestle circles around Skipper and the Warrior. Greg Valentine wins this without tagging in Beefcake, who surely would trip over the rope and get pinned.

Steiner Bros. v. The Orient Express
The Steiner's are one of the most solid teams ever. Easy win.
Winner: Steiner Bros.

APA v. Raven & Richards
*sighs* Unlike Prax, I hate having to vote against and ECW team, but I am trying very hard to stay objective in this. I cannot stress how much I enjoy Raven (who is the greatest in ring psychologist of all time), however, Stevie was more of a lachey than a partner. Simmons and JBL were a legitimate tag team who worked very well together for several years. In my world Raven & Stevie lose only by a countout.
Winner: APA

RVD & Sabu v. Mikey & Tajiri
This is the match where I could go into my ECW fanboy(or girl) rant about how both teams are fucking fantastic and would kill many of the teams in this tournament- that statement is not debatable for me, so please don't try. Unfortunately someone has to go home in the first round and it better be Mikey & Tajiri, people!! RVD & Sabu work very well together and had some of the greatest tag matches I have ever seen against the Eliminators.
Winner: RVD & Sabu

Dream Team v. XXX
I have to admit that Brutus Beefcake was my favorite wrestler for many years when I was a little kid. The Dream Team is very nostalgic for me, but are not very impressive together. I do think this would be an interesting match considering the styles of the teams involved are at complete ends of the spectrum. XXX are faster, more athletic, and have a larger arsenal of moves to utilize.
Winner: XXX

Onto results from WWE Region.

4. The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton and Dennis Condrey) vs. 29. 3 Count (Gregory Helms and Shannon Moore)

The Midnight Express was too much for the young 3 Count to handle. Surprisingly, it wasn't as big of a blow out as it should have been with 3 Count managing to get 23% of the vote.

Midnight Express
76%
3 Count
23%

2. 13. Dory and Terry Funk vs. 20. The Lone Riders (Kid Kash and Dallas/Lance Hoyt)

While a blowout, the wrestling gods are not pleased. Anything less then 100% is criminal in this match.

The Funks
92%
The Lone Riders
7%

3. 5. The Valiants (Jimmy and Johnny Valiant) vs. 28. Men On a Mission (Mo and Mable)

The Valiants, while probably many haven't heard of, still manage to put a beat down on M.O.M., maybe that speaks on how little people think of Big Vis.

Valiants
78%
M.O.M.
21%

4. 12. The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael P.S. Hayes and Terry Gordy) vs. 21. Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho

This one is sure to cause a shit ton of controversy. The Fabulous Freebirds, Ranked #3 By P.W.I., gone, first round, to a team that wasn't really a team. People might actually vote based on technical ability instead of people that hide behind charisma and mic skills???

Freebirds
42%
Chris Cross
57%

2nd round matchups.
The Midnight Express vs. The Funks (Good Match)
The Valiants vs. Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho (Good good match)

Now onto todays matchups. The following matches take place in the WCW Region in The Georgia Dome.

Match 1:
2. The New Age Outlaws (Billy Gunn and the Road Dogg Jesse James) vs. 31. The Powers of Pain ( The Warlord and the Barbarian)
Credentials:
Maryland Championship Wrestling
MCW Tag Team Championship (1 time)

PWI Tag Team of the Year (1998)
The New Age Outlaws were ranked #43 of the 100 best tag teams of the PWI Years in 2003.

WWF World Tag Team Championship (5 times)

Powers:
NWA World Six-Man Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Ivan Koloff

World Wide Wrestling Alliance
WWWA Tag Team Championship (1 time)

PWI ranked them # 97 of the 100 best tag teams during the "PWI Years" in 2003.

Match 2:
15. Los Guerreros (Eddie and Chavo Guerrero) vs. 18. The Natural Disasters (Earthquake and Typhoon)

Credentials:
World Wrestling Entertainment
WWE Tag Team Championship (4 times) – Eddie and Chavo, Jr. (2)

Wrestling Observer
Tag Team of the Year 2002: Eddie and Chavo, Jr.

Disasters:
Super World of Sports
SWS Tag Team Championship (1 time)

WWF Tag Team Championship (1 time)

Match 3:
7. MNM (Joey Mercury and Johnny Nitro) vs. 26. The Blue Bloods (Dave Taylor and Steven Regal)
Credentials:
MNM:
Ohio Valley Wrestling
OVW Southern Tag Team Championship (1 time)[7]

Tag Team of the Year (2005)[38]

World Wrestling Entertainment
WWE Tag Team Championship (Mercury and Nitro, 3 times)

Blue Bloods:
really cool entrance music.

Match 4:
10. The Hardy Boyz (Matt and Jeff Hardy) vs. 23. Ric Flair and Roddy Piper

Credentials:
Hardyz:
Regional
NWA 2000 Tag Team Championship (1 time)

Organization of Modern Extreme Grappling Arts
OMEGA Tag Team Championship (1 time)

PWI Tag Team of the Year award in 2000.

World Wrestling Federation / Entertainment
World Tag Team Championship (6 times)
WCW World Tag Team Championship (1 time)

Flair and Piper:
World Wrestling Entertainment | World Wrestling Federation
World Tag Team Championship (1 time)

The Poll is now Open, It will Close on Friday, July 20th at 6pm ET.

New Age Outlaws v. Powers of Pain
In the purest sense, this wouldn't make a very good wrestling match. All four guys are mediocre at best in the ring. However, the Outlaws were way over with the crowd in their prime because they can kill a promo and are entertaining as hell.
Winner: New Age Outlaws

Los Guerreros v. Natural Disasters
Speed, quickness and agility win this match easily as the very overwieght and very overrated Disasters would fall flat on their faces.
Winner: Guerreros

MNM v. The Blue Bloods
I am going to get some heat for this one, but MNM is my pick here. Regal and Taylor bore me to tears. I like Nitro and Mercury and I thought they worked well together. I have seen alot of Mercury on the indy scene lately and he has impressed the hell out of me.
Winner: MNM

Hardy Boys v. Flair & Piper
Another match I'm going to catch heat for. Obviously either Hardy v. Flair or Piper in a singles match would be no contest. However, Flair and Piper were thrown together as a team for what- like a month? THey are both legends and were both spectatular in their prime individually. Jeff and Matt have too much chemistry for a makeshift team (regardless of the players) to beat them. A close one, but....
Winner: Hardy Boys

I wish I would have found this forum earlier on in my life as I just spent my entire work day reading up on this tourney from Page 1. And speaking of the tourney, awesome work Shockmaster, love it. I could've had some pretty decent debates already had I been following from the beginning. Anyway I've been dying to get some picks on here so here it goes,

New Age Outlaws vs Powers of Pain
You know as a kid I liked the Powers of Pain, probably there look I guess, which is strange cause I hated Warlord with his big W cane and Phantom of the Opera mask. New Age Outlaws win this one pretty quickly with some sneaky tactics.

Los Guerreros vs Natural Disasters
Sorry Shockmaster but I dont like your chances here, Los Guerreros make the big men chase them around the outside of the ring and jump in in time to beat the count. Earthquake struggles to catch breath.

MNM vs Blue Bloods
I'm going with the experience here. Regal stretch on Mercury after a solid match. MNM are the victims of a currently crappy tag team scene, so I honestly dont know how good they might of been against the better teams of the past, and Regal is really good.

Hardy Boyz vs Flair/Piper
If it were Flair and Piper both in there primes I dont care that they never teamed up. Roddy would get Matt on the outside and punish him while Flair locked the figure in on Jeff.

New Age Outlaws vs Powers of Pain
I never did see Powers of Pain in action so I have to go with the New Age Outlaws by default.

Los Guerreros vs Natural Disasters
The Natural Disasters have the power advantage...and that's it. Los Guerreros win this easily.

MNM vs Blue Bloods
This match would be great, especially with Regal and Taylor in their primes. IMO, I think Mercury and Nitro are grand in the ring and Regal and Taylor are great British wrestlers. This ones going to be close but I see MNM getting the victory.

Hardy Boyz vs Flair/Piper
Flair and Piper are going to pull the upset in this one. Flair's going to keep Jeff grounded and go for the legs while Piper beats down Matt and locks in his Sleeper Hold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back