How to Revitalize WWE Tag Team Wrestling!

HATECHOIR

Dark Match Winner
Ok so i posted a comment in a thread entitled "New Tag Teams", and along with my suggestions for new tag teams i shot out this idea for a way to revitalize the WWE Tag Team Division.......

"If they wanna try and boost the Tag Team Division find a way to vacate the straps (WWE & World) Have Vince announce a Tournament to revitalize the Tag-Team Division, and put up the Unified Straps, and $1,000,000 cash!

Tournamnet could go on 4 weeks of Raw/Smackdown/ECW with the final match at the PPV. As a swerve EVERYbody on the roster wants in, because of the cash, and Vince announces that you enter as an indiviual and the teams are "randomly" selected

Then they get to pair up crazy heel/face dream match up combos that succeed only because there chasing a million dollar prize, then they win the straps and the tag team division is alive, some new dream teams are formed, and all is well in WWE tag team division wrestling once again!"

So first off assuming that you like this idea who/why do you think would make some great "dream" team style teams/match ups (anybody from all 3 rosters in any combination) for this be all end all Million Dollar Tag Team Tournament?

Who would you want in the finals? Who would you want to win? Heck map out a whole 4 week tournament with teams, weekly winners, ppv finals, and champions if you would like! Interested to see what people think about this one!

I think it sounds like a combination of the last 2 tag tournaments in TNA.
I want to see the champions just be an awesome combo that no one could sensibly beat, like HBK and Taker, or an awesome team like HBK and Morrison.

I somewhat like your idea. The tag titles need revitalizing.

However, this idea has been done by TNA in Spring 2008. The Deuces Wild Tournament. 8 team tag team tournament at Sacrifice PPV. 4 Established teams (iffy on established for some). and then 4 that were thrown together at random like you said. The benefit was seeing Awesome Kong team with B.G. James (Road Dogg). So on that note, perhaps seeing Beth Phoenix teaming with a male wrestler to go for the tag titles would be intriguing.

Another combo that would be amusing to see: Triple H and Randy Orton. 2 Foes working together for tag team goal. Big Show and Edge, 2 men who love Vickie Guerrero. I know you said from the 3 rosters, but to keep with the mortal enemies theme, just gonna say the dream tag team everybody would love to see from a story, real life, and talent standpoint: HBK and Bret Hart

TNA has done varitions of it to an extent, but never anything like this im talking about every single member of every show being randomley selected to team up, so there is no limitation on who the teams could be....Cena/Edge, Jericho/HHH, Orton/HHH, Batista/Orton, Cena/Orton (remeber when they face entire RAW roster), Kane/Mysterio, Dibaise Jr/Shad - JTG/Rhodes or Dibaise Jr/Carlito vs Rhodes/Primo, etc you get the idea.

Like i said TNA has done variations of it (i.e. 3Ds $100,000, the one with 4 estabilished teams/4 random, but nothing like this)

It could be the main focus for 4 weeks of TV, and headline a PPV with a Final Four showdown at the PPV...WAY bigger than anything TNA has done EVER!

I really like the idea of a tag team tournament such as this. In my idea you put every competitor in the company and do a 32 team tournament with 2 sides seeded 1-16 like the NCAA tournament. Some of my teams of been together before so I put them together again. 1 major team I didn't put together though was DX. So here is my tournament

Bracket 1
Round 1

#1-Taker & Kane beat #16-Jamie Knoble and Sim Snuka
#8- Mark Henry and Vladmir Kozlov beat #9-Finlay and Tommy Dreamer
#5- Batista and Umaga beat #12- The Great Khali and Hornswoggle
#4- Jeff Hardy and Evan Bourne beat #13- Santino and Hacksaw Jim Duggan
#6- Big Show and Mike Knox beat #11- Festus and Goldust
#3- Randy Orton and Matt Hardy beat #14- Tyson Kidd and DH Smith
#7- Ted Dibiase and Cody Rhodes beat #10- The Miz and Dolph Ziggler
#2- Shawn Michaels and John Morrison beat #15- DJ Gabriel/Gregory Helms

Bracket 2
Round 1

#1- Edge and Christian beat #16- Jesse and Jimmy Wang Yang
#9- Shelton Benjamin/Charlie Haas beat #8 RTruth/Ezekiel Jackson
#5- CM Punk/Kofi Kingston beat #12- Chavo/The Brian Kendrick
#4- Chris Jericho/Jack Swagger beat #13- Hawkins/Ryder
#6- Rey Mysterio/Ricky Steamboat beat #11- William Regal/Paul Burchill
#3- John Cena/MVP beat #14- Ricky Ortiz/Kung Funaki
#7- Primo and Carlito beat #10-Cryme Tyme(shad and jtg)
#2- HHH/Mr.Kennedy beat #15- Matt Stryker/Jerry The King Lawler

Bracket 1
Round 2
#1-Taker/Kane beat #8- Henry/Kozlov
#5-Batista/Umaga beat #4- Jeff Hardy/Evan Bourne
#3-Randy Orton/Matt Hardy beat #6- Big Show/Mike Knox
#2- Shawn Michaels/John Morrison beat #7- Dibiase/Rhodes

Bracket 2
Round 2
#1- Edge/Christian beat #9- Charlie Haas/Shelton Benjamin
#4- Chris Jericho/Jack Swagger beat #5- CM Punk/Kofi Kingston
#3- John Cena/MVP beat #6- Rey Mysterio/Ricky Steamboat
#2- HHH/Mr. Kennedy beat #7- The Colons(Primo/Carlito)

Quarterfinals
Taker/Kane beat Batista/Umaga
Michaels/Morrison beat Orton/Matt Hardy
Edge/Christian beat Jericho/Swagger
Cena/MVP beat HHH/Mr.Kennedy

Semifinals
Michaels/Morrison beat Undertaker/Kane
Edge/Christian beat John Cena/MVP

FINALS
The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels and John Morrison beat Edge/Christian to become unified Tag Champs and Win $1,000,000

I have never been a fan of the whole battlebowl tag team concept.
Two guys that hate each other ,but somehow still work together to win has been so overdone in the WWE. Austin/Undertaker, Rock/Taker,Cena/Michaels,and so on.
The arch enemies teaming up is so done for me.

I do like the general idea of a big tournament to restore some meaning to the belts, but i would rather it involve real teams, and not just random people thrown together for a one shot.

I agree that a tournament would bring some much needed life back into the tag division, and with a big tournament involving a big chunk of the roster it could also set up new singles feuds by partners blaming each other for the loss.

Just to take two of the teams above (not necessarily the match up used though), let's say you have Jericho/Swagger vs. Orton/Matt Hardy. If Orton/Hardy were to lose Orton could blame the loss on Hardy and beat the living tar out of him, further solidifying him as a heel, and leave Hardy with a couple options. Either feud with Orton or rejoin Jeff, who could have also lost, saying that if they join back up they have a chance to defeat whoever the new champs are seeing as how they've been an established tag team in the past.

On the flip side if Jericho/Swagger lose you could have Jericho blame Swagger and have Swagger...turn...face...okay, maybe not (say what you will I like Swagger as a heel).

Not sure how much flak I'll get for this suggestion, but just my opinion. Take some tournament losses and set up new singles feuds.

The tag Division isn't too bad....they just don't push it....
we had Miz/Morrison but not anymore so now really they are what 3 real tag teams....Cryme Tyme, Priceless and The colons.....appearantly WWE doesn't like to put Priceless in matches but if they do soon it will boost the tag teams....
then maybe throw in another real team and a mixed up team or 2 and boom.....show them and start tag team fueds and it will get better....

TNA tag team division is much better not only because they have better quality teams but they show them,.....they have tag team matches and fueds....the belts mean something...

The idea has been said that its been done in TNA, Vince won't copy them....

Vince's thing to boost the tag team division usualy is build up a big main even match.....and stick the 2 guys together and have them win the title...IE Cena/Batista before summerlam in 2008

the best way to revitalize the tag division is to keep it simple.

why have tag teams, fight in a tag team tournament, to revitalize the division for money? why not just have them battle to the "biggest" prize, the tag title. (yea the money is better obv but this is wrestling).

im sick of odd ball teams i like teams who have chemistry and look well together. eg. not a 500 pound sex addict next to a 230 pound goth.
have the teams like brothers, or childhood friends or at least wrestle the same style or have the same gimmick.

then set up a gimmick match after a few months. TLC would be perfect at a wrestlemania but with money in the bank still around two ladder matches is too much. so maybe summerslam, not as big but still good.

really push them like they did with E&C, Dudleys and Hardys.

it should be simple but wwe put no effort into it. :mad:

i think it should be a lot more promoted. no tag title match at wm25 was an insult to the division. surely it should be at the forefront. also wrestlers like paul birchill, r-truth, shelton benjamin, kofi kingston, evan bourne and others could gain a lot of exposure from it. they really need to inject life into it.

I think the work that's currently going on in the tag team division is sufficient. We've spent years wanting unified champs, we have them, we have a decent team on each brand and hopefully the flotation method will help. I'd rather not have a tag team tourney though.

The best way to improve the Tag team scene is.

1. Have real tag teams, with a tag team name, and don't just throw any two wrestlers together for story line purposes.

I miss the days when Tag teams were introduced and they had a team name (The Rockers, Hart foundation etc.)

2. Quit breaking teams up so soon, when the tag team division was good it was because teams stayed together for longer than 1 year (Hart foundation, British bulldogs, the Islanders, The Dream team, The natural disastars, Money Inc, etc..), but now after teams are together for a few month everyone says oh they should break up, they are stale etc.

Look at 3D they are so succesful because they work better in tag team than single wrestlers.

Unfortunately I think what ruined tag team wrestling in the WWE was the Rockers breaking up, ever since than people always want teams to break up and see who will become the Shawn Micheals of the group and who will become the Marty Jannetty

I really like the idea of a tag team tournament such as this. In my idea you put every competitor in the company and do a 32 team tournament with 2 sides seeded 1-16 like the NCAA tournament. Some of my teams of been together before so I put them together again. 1 major team I didn't put together though was DX. So here is my tournament

Bracket 1
Round 1

#1-Taker & Kane beat #16-Jamie Knoble and Sim Snuka
#8- Mark Henry and Vladmir Kozlov beat #9-Finlay and Tommy Dreamer
#5- Batista and Umaga beat #12- The Great Khali and Hornswoggle
#4- Jeff Hardy and Evan Bourne beat #13- Santino and Hacksaw Jim Duggan
#6- Big Show and Mike Knox beat #11- Festus and Goldust
#3- Randy Orton and Matt Hardy beat #14- Tyson Kidd and DH Smith
#7- Ted Dibiase and Cody Rhodes beat #10- The Miz and Dolph Ziggler
#2- Shawn Michaels and John Morrison beat #15- DJ Gabriel/Gregory Helms

Bracket 2
Round 1

#1- Edge and Christian beat #16- Jesse and Jimmy Wang Yang
#9- Shelton Benjamin/Charlie Haas beat #8 RTruth/Ezekiel Jackson
#5- CM Punk/Kofi Kingston beat #12- Chavo/The Brian Kendrick
#4- Chris Jericho/Jack Swagger beat #13- Hawkins/Ryder
#6- Rey Mysterio/Ricky Steamboat beat #11- William Regal/Paul Burchill
#3- John Cena/MVP beat #14- Ricky Ortiz/Kung Funaki
#7- Primo and Carlito beat #10-Cryme Tyme(shad and jtg)
#2- HHH/Mr.Kennedy beat #15- Matt Stryker/Jerry The King Lawler

Bracket 1
Round 2
#1-Taker/Kane beat #8- Henry/Kozlov
#5-Batista/Umaga beat #4- Jeff Hardy/Evan Bourne
#3-Randy Orton/Matt Hardy beat #6- Big Show/Mike Knox
#2- Shawn Michaels/John Morrison beat #7- Dibiase/Rhodes

Bracket 2
Round 2
#1- Edge/Christian beat #9- Charlie Haas/Shelton Benjamin
#4- Chris Jericho/Jack Swagger beat #5- CM Punk/Kofi Kingston
#3- John Cena/MVP beat #6- Rey Mysterio/Ricky Steamboat
#2- HHH/Mr. Kennedy beat #7- The Colons(Primo/Carlito)

Quarterfinals
Taker/Kane beat Batista/Umaga
Michaels/Morrison beat Orton/Matt Hardy
Edge/Christian beat Jericho/Swagger
Cena/MVP beat HHH/Mr.Kennedy

Semifinals
Michaels/Morrison beat Undertaker/Kane
Edge/Christian beat John Cena/MVP

FINALS
The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels and John Morrison beat Edge/Christian to become unified Tag Champs and Win $1,000,000

I love some of your teams. We see a lot of old teams put together again like The Brothers of Pain Undertaker and Kane (IMO the best team there was!) Some of your other teams should really be looked at by the WWE. Some of them look like they could really have some potential! It would be very nice this match up exept the end. I do not like John Morrison. I do not think he is really ready to be compared to HBK and I think it will go to his head to keep hearing that! I would have UT/Kane win and then go and dominate all tag teams for a good long time before having some team like priceless win. Anyone who beats them would instantly be very over because everyone will belive in UT/Kane as being unstopable. This also gives Kane a titlte for a run that I think is very deserved. After they lose I would have Kane as US champ and UT as IC champ. This would also elevate those titles in the publics eye.

is there any person strictly in charge of ceratain divisions. like how theres just writers for raw and smackdown. they need to have a person strictly focus on one title for there writing. like hayes for tag titles, malenko for united states, steamboat for intercon and so on. that might help if isn't in place now, not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back