The Rock or Steve Austin

ProWrestlingFan

Championship Contender
During the Attitude Era, Two guys were at the top Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock. Both guys were a big part of WWF winning the Monday Night Wars against WCW. Who in your opinion was better and why?

The Rock or Steve Austin ?

What is your favorite Rock and Austin match ?

During the Attitude Era, I would say Austin. We kicked off that Era with him being the top dog(Rock was still a midcarder). Hell, the whole era was based on him going against authority(Vince McMahon). No doubt in my mind, he made the bigger impact at that time, even though Rock was the more globally recognized. But If you're comparing overall careers, I would say Rock. I think by the year 2000, it was clear as day that Rock's popularity has already surpassed austin's, TV ratings, PPV buyrates, and the overall company success prove that. People can say whatever they wanna say, but that year was the highest point in WWE history, let alone the attitude era, and Rock was the main reason behind that. After the attitude era(2001-2003), it was all Rock. He was without question "THE" man.

This was decided in the Attitude era, they were both defining characters during that time and there was a number one and a number two. Austin was always better than Rock, he drew better, he sold more, and he was flat out better. The Rock was good but he was always number two when Austin was around, because Austin was the best at that time.

Both are great and will probably never be replicated. Probably the best two to ever step into the business, along with Hogan.

My opinion is WWE made Stone Cold Steve Austin. His feud with McMahon propelled him to new heights. The Rock made himself through his natural charisma and talent.

Up until about 2001 it was all Austin. But Rock surpassed him after this up until 2003. Hogan, Goldberg, Brock were all given to The Rock simply because he was 'the man'.

Austin fans wont like this but if you look back at both legacy's, The Rock is now the bigger superstar, especially given his recent return to action.

Rock wins for me.

The Attitude Era spanned over four years and Austin reigned for the first two, Rock reigned for the last two. Rock in 2000 and 2001 though was better. Austin was better in 98 and 99. And even in 99, Rock was RIGHT THERE with him. Rock overall is better to me and in general.

He's a better talker for sure. Austin can work the mic, but it's a no contest for anybody against The Rock.

Austin can fight in the ring real well. Can get technical when need be, but was never a real tech guy, he and Rock would brawl it out with athletes and had hard hitting smash mouth styles in the ring, I think Rock did it just an inch better with style in the ring from the way he threw a punch or kick to the way he sold incredibly to the way he entertained always even in the ring via his moves and not just The People's Elbow or using the camera mid-match or even singing.

Rock all around truly is the greatest of all time and not just for beating Hogan, Austin and Cena at Mania. They are head guys but Rock is the ultimate supreme WWE Superstar that in an industry based on entertainment is the best damn entertainer of all time!

As far as matches go I loved their WrestleMania first encounter at 15, and 19 was emotional, happy The Rock won the third bout in The Trilogy, but WrestleMania X7 is their best match of all time at what is arguably (only arguable to me since witnessing WM28 this year) the greatest WrestleMania of all time, with the greatest pre-match highlight video of all time, set to My Way and perfectly produced

Rock Austin are the best rivals of all time. Those two doing anything together is bigger than any other two stars period. They are the two absolute best, Rock just by an inch more

Austin for me. Just seemed to always get that bit more of a pop when the glass shatters and the crowd went nuts. Looking back at those old matches and watching Austin enter the arena the crowd would go ape, it just makes me weep for the current product.

What hurt Austin was when he took the year out and The Rock became...well, The Rock.

Have to disagree with some of the people's comments that the Rock was better than Austin on the mic - they were both fantastic especially when playing off of each other, both on the mic and in the ring.

Nostalgia attack...

Rock and Austin were over for different reasons. Austin connected with the fans because people could identify with him. A workhorse who had busted his ass for years, liked drinking beer, kicking ass and speaking his mind. A true working class hero.

Rocky, on the other hand, connected not because we could identify but because we just wanted to be him. He was the natural college athlete with amazing genetics and jaw dropping looks who rose to the top fast and had a charisma that would melt hearts. Like the Elvis of wrestling. Perfect foil for Austin. Just the type of guy that would irritate Stone Cold.

I could never put one over the other. I've seen arenas come unglued for both guys, and they were completely different types of pop, yet equally as loud, and when you put them in a ring together you got magic. I can safely say that when the Rock-Austin feud got going it was my favourite time in the business. When those two had a stare down it was just...I can't even explain it. Freakin magical.

All that just to say they'll always be equally good in my eyes.

Stone Cold, hands down, first of all, it was Austin who practicly re invented the WWE with his feud with McMahon, wether you like it or not, the Rock was always Austin's no.2, if it wasn't for austin, the Rock probably wouldn't have been as big as he became, the Rock was lucky that McMahon trew him into his rivalry with Austin, that was the Rock's break, because before that, to me he was like Zach Ryder, always saying idiotic stuff, but unlike Zack Ryder, the Rock was liked by the big boys and that's why he had a chance, and Austin made himself, that's the reason why Austin deserves much more credit than the Rock......

I am another who could never put one over the other. Austin owned 98 and 99 and after that The Rock really took over. I think Austin was always the bigger draw, but The Rock stayed on top a bit longer. They were both over for different reasons, and that is what made it so unique then. We essentially had two top guys. Their feud was amazing and I really loved their match at Mania 19. I thought they told a great story with The Rock finally getting the 123 over Austin.

Stone Cold, hands down, first of all, it was Austin who practicly re invented the WWE with his feud with McMahon, wether you like it or not, the Rock was always Austin's no.2, if it wasn't for austin, the Rock probably wouldn't have been as big as he became,, that was the Rock's break, because before that, to me he was like Zach Ryder, always saying idiotic stuff, but unlike Zack Ryder, the Rock was liked by the big boys and that's why he had a chance, and Austin made himself, that's the reason why Austin deserves much more credit than the Rock......

LMAO!!...What?! Actually, if it wasn't for McMahon, Austin wouldn've never been as big. Matter of fact, as soon as their fued ended, Austin was getting stale real quick real fast, and as far as I remember, Austin was supposed to turn heel in late 1999. Oh, and by the way, how could you make someone, if your beating his ass everytime you step in the ring with him? Rock barely and I mean BARELY got the the upperhand.

" the Rock was lucky that McMahon trew him into his rivalry with Austin"

Lucky?! lol They fed him off to Austin for god sakes. The guy was on his way to become the most popular superstar on the roster, but for 1 reason they turned heel too soon...Austin needed a worthy opponent for WM.

"that was the Rock's break, because before that, to me he was like Zach Ryder"

Lol no comment.

"Austin made himself"

According to SCSA himself, Bret Hart made him.

P.S I believe Foley made The Rock.

Austin for me. Just seemed to always get that bit more of a pop when the glass shatters and the crowd went nuts. Looking back at those old matches and watching Austin enter the arena the crowd would go ape, it just makes me weep for the current product.

What hurt Austin was when he took the year out and The Rock became...well, The Rock.

Have to disagree with some of the people's comments that the Rock was better than Austin on the mic - they were both fantastic especially when playing off of each other, both on the mic and in the ring.

Nostalgia attack...

People really buying into this "Rock got over because Austin took a year off". It's like saying if it wasn't for Michaels (1st)retirement, Austin would've never been "THE" man...but I really don't blame them. I blame that stupid writer who came up with the "I did it for The Rock" storyline. The whole storyline was designed to put over Autsin and bury The Rock, and it made the fans wonder...

I say enough with that BS, this vid says it all

[YOUTUBE]er5kYHcBZpA[/YOUTUBE]

This segment took place a month before survivor series 1999, and you can clearly hear the fans were slightly behind Rock, and I'll be more than happy to post more vids between the two leading up to SS, if you want me to. Wether Austin was there or not, Rock was on his way to be The top guy.

Stone Cold Steve Austin was the man in the Attitude Era. It's a common fact. Wrestlers have said it, referees have said it and even promoters said it. Stone Cold Steve Austin was the Attitude Era.

Infact after Stone Cold Steve Austin, the second most impactful on-screen character would be Vince McMahon and not The Rock.

In the words of McMahon "As popular as The Rock was. He was never quite Stone Cold."

For my money it's The Rock. I just always related to The Rock more than Steve. I've always been a fan of cocky heels and The Rock was cocky all the time, heel or face, and hilarious without being cheesy and he could get it done in the ring. I love the montage of Rock's interviews available on his older 3 disc DVD set, still makes me laugh over 10 years later. Stone Cold was great, the swearing and beer-swilling rebel just grew stale with me at some point.

As for my favorite match between the two, I have to say it's from "part three," Wrestlemania XIX. The Rock was freshly heel, but this particular run was different than his previous runs as a heel, and it was Austin's last match. It's just a solid match from bell to bell, on top of that, The Rock putting on Austin's vest was awesome and the ending when The Rock finally beats Austin and they share that moment where The Rock thanks him is priceless.

Austin=Backstage politician that whined when he didn't get his way

From the old wrestleline site:

E-mail Meltzer your questions; Austin causing problems with bookers
August 6, 1999

By Mike Samuda
WrestleLine/WrestleManiacs

In terms of attendance and participation, yesterday's chat with Dave Meltzer was a tremendous success. Unfortunately, several unforeseen occurrences beyond our control prevented the chat from running smoothly.

I noticed that you guys were asking a lot of pretty good questions last night that went unanswered. Please send all your questions for Meltzer to me, and next week, I'll relay them to Dave for his answers. When submitting questions, please type Dave Meltzer in the subject header.

The Torch Hotline is reporting that Steve Austin has been frustrating management by vetoing ideas for TV matches. According to the story, for the 7/26 Raw, management proposed a match between Austin and Jeff Jarrett in a short singles match with a Triple run-in for the finish. Austin nixed that plan. Management then proposed a match against Billy Gunn with the same finish, but Austin turned that one down as well.

Reportedly, Austin's argument is that Gunn and Jarrett aren't over enough to get a rub from him in a TV main event. The next night at the TV tapings, Keller says that Austin turned down the idea of wrestling in a tag match with The Rock against Mr. Ass, Triple H and Chyna. They ended up doing another Austin v. Taker match, which performed relatively poorly in the ratings.

I can understand Austin not wanting to face Jarrett, because Austin had some problems with the comments Jarrett made during his return interview on Raw. You know the one where Jarrett claimed that Austin 3:16 was blasphemous, which Austin didn't appreciate because he thought that would hurt his merchandise sales, or something like that. I think Jarrett defended those comments by saying he was trying to build old-school heat. So those two haven't been friends from the get go, which is kind of funny, because Jarrett and Debra seem close. Where was I? Oh, I think he should have done the matches. Although the quality of the main events is still good, the pairings are getting stale.

Keller also says Chris Jericho is telling friends that he got a $400,000.00 downside guarantee from the WWF. Chris will be on Raw next Monday, but the word now is that he will not be wrestling. He may not be wrestling at SummerSlam either, but you would expect him to be on the show in some capacity.

This from our WM's own Mark Coale:

According to what Stevie Richards said at the MCW show last night, he will be starting on Monday on RAW. His quote was "I'll be doing lots of drop toe holds on chairs." He didn't say (nor did I ask) about what his role would be (DX, with Jericho).

Ironically, he did double duty and worked in the main event in a tag match against the Blue Meanie. It was certainly an odd site. Meanie even got off a "Say hello to the Blue Guy!" which Stevie sold great.

Rena Mero was on "Off the Record" recently. Off the air, Meltzer says she revealed that there were plans at one point for her to manage Hulk Hogan in WCW. Of course, that's no longer in her immediate future. She also said that Marc Mero has retired from wrestling, notwithstanding his full release from the WWF, which would allow him to immediately work for WCW.

I am surprised by the lack of response to the Rena Mero interview on Howard Stern, where she made some really 'interesting' comments. Is it that you guys are just fed up with her?

Meltzer says former UFC fighter, Oleg Taktarov, was invited to meet with Titan (RIP) WWFE officials about a possible stint with the company.

Mark Madden reports that Mean Gene Okerlund will probably retire from wrestling when his WCW contract expires in a few months. Apparently Okerlund is getting ready to host a nationally syndicated wrestling radio show that will be heard in 40 states. Mark also says that Ric Flair has asked for time off from WCW TV for the rest of the summer. Ric will still work the house shows, but if he gets his wish, he won't be on Nitro or Thunder anytime soon.

Now, I'm off to go buy WWF Attitude. I hope it's out.

Later.

E-Mail Mike

Apparently Austin thought the WWF lived and died by him at the time, and that the moment he took any extended time off felt they would've dropped off the face of the earth or something. Ironically around the exact same time Austin said this he injured his right knee and post Fully Loaded-Survivor Series had a limited schedule, then was sidelined even longer with a more serious injury after Survivor Series. Of course the WWF was still successful in August-early November with him doing a limited schedule and the last month and half when he was written off period, showing that Austin wasn't the whole show anymore by then.

Coincidence? I think not, more like karma.

;)

Austin. He made the most money and the company made the most money off of him. He was the start of it all.
Austin=Backstage politician that whined when he didn't get his way

From the old wrestleline site:

Apparently Austin thought the WWF lived and died by him at the time, and that the moment he took any extended time off felt they would've dropped off the face of the earth or something. Ironically around the exact same time Austin said this he injured his right knee and post Fully Loaded-Survivor Series had a limited schedule, then was sidelined even longer with a more serious injury after Survivor Series. Of course the WWF was still successful in August-early November with him doing a limited schedule and the last month and half when he was written off period, showing that Austin wasn't the whole show anymore by then.

Coincidence? I think not, more like karma.

;)

LOL, not to quote Miz but really? You do realize that EVERY top guy has played politics at one time or another right? BTW Austin was right in that neither one of them were good enough to get a rub from him. Especially Gunn.

Karma? Please. If karma was real Hogan would be dead.

Austin. He made the most money and the company made the most money off of him. He was the start of it all.

LOL, not to quote Miz but really? You do realize that EVERY top guy has played politics at one time or another right? BTW Austin was right in that neither one of them were good enough to get a rub from him. Especially Gunn.

Karma? Please. If karma was real Hogan would be dead.

Oh please Austin was an egomaniac in '99, funny thing is while he refused to do a program with Billy Gunn the person that did agree to do it was beginning to surpass Austin in popularity at the time, so the whole "Austin was too good to face Billy Gunn/Jeff Jarrett" excuse is pretty much invalid anyway. Remember this was in mid 1999, not mid 1998 when Austin was the undisputed top draw.

And why would Hogan be dead from using politics? He suffered enough karma from injuries himself and having to crawl back to Vince in 2002 to become relevant again.

:)

Austin definitely was a backstage problem in 1999, as the article above stated. Sure he made the WWF $ but just because you're making the company $ doesn't mean you have to put down those under you, which exactly what Austin was doing around this time. Besides Austin wasn't even the only top $ maker the WWF had by mid '99, the guy missed 15 of 18 events in August of that year as the champion and the WWF still had great attendance that month. That is ironic though, Austin said that then around that exact same time he ended up getting injured and the WWF simply moved on without him. Really things like this are best understood by reading the original articles/newsletters from 1999, the so called "fanboys" on this forum are about as credible as a Peter Popoff's Miracle Spring Water.

They ended up doing another Austin v. Taker match, which performed relatively poorly in the ratings.

^This news is bullshit. Austin VS Taker happened the next Raw. Bullshit news.

Are people really suggesting that they'd rather see Austin VS Jarrett than Austin VS Undertaker? Lmao!

Anyway, regarding Austin refusing to work with Jarrett. It is common knowledge that Austin refused to work with Jarrett cause of personal problems dating back to the time when Austin was working in Jeff Jarrett's father's promotion. Jeff Jarrett used to be extremely rude to all the wrestlers in the promotion, including Austin. Also, the one of the main reasons Jarrett was getting a push was because he was good friends with Vince Russo. So in a way, Austin helped stopped backstage politics if anything.

And the whole thing about Austin refusing to work with Billy Gunn is bullshit. Billy Gunn never had anything but praise for Austin, which would not be the case if Austin had refused to work with him. Besides, Austin did work with Billy Gunn in 1999. This was just a rumour which has since then been proven false.

Also in 2002 Austin himself pitched the idea of him working with Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit. In which, Austin and Eddie Guerrero would wrestle at a PPV and Guerrero would win after Benoit interfere's. This would lead to Austin and Benoit feuding in the upcoming PPVs.
He agreed to work with the talented Guerrero and Benoit at a time when they were going no where.

This is why Guerrero and Benoit were randomly brought to Raw and were left hanging because Austin walked out shortly after.

^This news is bullshit. Austin VS Taker happened the next Raw. Bullshit news.

How the fuck is it bullshit news? Or you calling calling someone who posted this article on August 6, 1999, a liar? Seriously?!?

And why are bringing up 2002, did I say 2002 or 1999? Obviously Austin put more people over in 2001-02 than he did in 1999, different times homeboy. Hell Austin even walked out twice in 2002, the first time he did it he was supposed to lose at WMX8, he complained to get the ending changed, they changed it and he still walked out?!? LMFAO!

And when did Austin "work" with Billy Gunn in 1999? He had 1 match against him, and by that point Billy Gunn was back in DX and HHH's lackey, his "push" was pretty much dead in the water by then, plus that was 3 months after Austin initially said he wouldn't work with Billy Gunn.

And I'll say it again to make it perfectly clear to you, Austin vetoed this on July 26, 1999. That same week, he injured his week, and worked less than 10 more matches for the rest of the year, then was sidelined even longer after Survivor Series, so in the long run it didn't matter. This is probably why Billy Gunn wasn't so upset about it because Austin was too injured to work a full time schedule from August-November of that year anyways.

Meant to say Austin injured his knee the same week he vetoed it. Here was Austin's schedule from August-November of that year:

-Only wrestled at Summerslam in August

-Didn't wrestle at all in September (Not counting that "match" he had with HHH, that wasn't a match because HHH got no offense in at all)

-Wrestled 6 matches for the last few weeks of October (Once again not counting that tag match from the October 11 Raw, because HHH got practically no offense in)

-Only wrestled on the November 1 Raw and the November 2 Smackdown tapings

And that's it, like I said, unless you think that's "bullshit" too?

:rolleyes:

I don't dig up "bullshit", I know what I'm talking bout. Rarely do I make a reply on here and make up "bullshit", when I say something I think before I type it out, understand?

And by the way, the "next Raw" you're referring too was the Raw where Chris Jericho debuted and there was the Triple Threat #1 Contenders Match between HHH, Chyna, and Undertaker, there was no Undertaker-Austin match.

:lmao:

Mmmm, seems like someone else is bringing up bullshit on here, huh?

Oh my god! All the whining is making my head hurt.

What I meant to say was, Rock didn't wrestle Billy Gunn the same night Austin 'apparently' refused to wrestle Billy Gunn and instead wrestled Undertaker.

Also, Austin teamed up with The Rock to wrestle Billy Gunn and Road Dogg a few months later.

You do know that not everything written in the dirt sheets are true and almost everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Not one credible source has confirmed this story, and I am not going to believe something just because it makes Rocky marks happy.
Lets assume Austin did refuse to wrestle Billy Gunn.. There could be so many reasons.
1. Austin thought Billy Gunn really wasn't over enough.
2. Austin thought the fans didn't really want to see Austin.
3. Austin thought wrestling Undertaker would make the fans much happier.

It's also possible that Austin suggested wrestling Undertaker and that is what happened. Or a last minute decision was made, and the blame fell on Austin.

I repeat, not one credible source has confirmed this rumour.

I'd also like to point out that during the Austin-Rock feud leading up to WrestleMania X-Seven, The Rock was getting booed by the fans on a regular basis. Almost every time The Rock and Austin would face off, "Austin! Austin!" chants would eclipse the "Rocky! Rocky!" chants.
And in fact, when The Rock hit a rock bottom on Austin, during the build up, "Rocky Sucks" chants started (not sure about this).
And during the feud several "Rocky sucks" and other negative signs concerning The Rock were confiscated.

All this was even though, Austin's character was already teasing a heel turn by being an over protective husband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back