• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The 4-sided ring vs 6-sided ring Discussion thread

One of the biggest thing keeping me from watching TNA is the 6 sided ring. WCW showed that you can put on great cruiserweight/high flying matches in the standard ring, hopefully Bischoff goes back to that.

After the six sides are removed, and gimmick matches such as 6 sides of steel are renaeed for sides of steel(sounds lame). Hogan will probably tell TNA to tone it down and Rename the X division cruiser weight.
While I'm excited to how hogan can bring more popularity to TNA I'm afraid of the said change he wants to bring. I don't think any changes are needed in TNA other than some more intriguing story lines.

There's nothing wrong with the six sides. It doesn't make TNA any less of a wrestling organization. If anything 6 sides is the new thing. THe UFC's octagon for example (i know more sides). The ring adds some elements such as surprise.
TNA needs to be different than WWE. It needs to be alternative. Its simple, hogan isn't used to the six sides and so he wants them to change. I think if they resist the change, hogan will grow to love the six sides and become a supporter..

Once you go Six sides!!

One of the biggest thing keeping me from watching TNA is the 6 sided ring. WCW showed that you can put on great cruiserweight/high flying matches in the standard ring, hopefully Bischoff goes back to that.

Yea good point.. but where's WCW now?
The more different TNA is the better.
I'm sad that you won't watch TNA because of JUST the shape of the ring. You get used to it and grow to love it.

A 4 sided ring will give the matches a better flow. The matches are more comfortable on the eyes. It's not so much about what's better or what's not better. It is about what keeps the viewer in front of the television. We are going to watch it, because we LOVE wrestling. Not everyone is going to watch it the same way we watch it. People will see the 6 sided ring as bootleg, cheap, corny, etc. Giving it 4 sides makes it more familiar to the viewer and pulls them in EASIER. A 4 sided ring would be the best move TNA has ever made since going to the 6 sided ring.

I started a thread about this before Hogan was even in the picture. My thoughts were this would be the one thing that would push TNA to the next level. For your viewing pleasure. http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=71632&page=3

Let's make this whole debate a lot simpler. Who is TNA's most well known "homegrown" wrestler? AJ Styles. What makes AJ so phenomenal? His speed, agility, and athleticism.

The extra angles, the added turnbuckles, the gimmick matches borne from the ring...they all made AJ Styles who he is. He was good in the four-sided ring, but he became the star in the six-sided ring. You take that ring away, he immediately comes down a peg, and that drags the entire company down with him.

I don't believe that at all. Wrestling was born on the 4 sided ring. Bringing it back is not going to drag the entire company down. Honestly, if a ring effects their product that much, then they have bigger problems to worry about.

Yea good point.. but where's WCW now?
The more different TNA is the better.

LMAO, Give me a break. I hope you TNA is no where near what WCW use to be. Dixie would give her ovaries to be as big as WCW once was. They actually have a long way to go to even fail like WCW did. TNA would have to sell out arenas and beat their competition to even sniff WCW's shoes. Different doesn't always mean its good.

It personally enrages me to a point of frustration that people are against the six sides.
The six sides is HEAVY on TNA's identity. Six sides of steel, asylum for example (you cant have a 4 sides asylum)

Alot have been said both ways about getting rid of it and keeping it but the fact is TRUE TNA fans, and i stress the word TRUE, love the six sides. While its arguable that the ring doesn't make the promotion, in this case changing the ring would break it. People would say hey is this WWE? yea it looks the same. The six sides is a sudden wow what the heck is that? Its new and intriguing to people.

And if the argument is that the ring shouldn't matter then you shouldn't be supporting a 4 sided ring in the same sentence. If it doesn't matter let TNA stay with what is unique.

LMAO, Give me a break. I hope you TNA is no where near what WCW use to be. Dixie would give her ovaries to be as big as WCW once was. They actually have a long way to go to even fail like WCW did. TNA would have to sell out arenas and beat their competition to even sniff WCW's shoes. Different doesn't always mean its good.

Different doesn't always mean its good but i hope you aren't talking about specifically TNA because thats another argument. TNA's problem isn't being good, TNA is already "good" its being unique that's what is going to keep people from saying what's the difference.

Truley Hogan's position of power can't be the deciding vote on TNA's ring. As long as he isn't the one and only ruler I don't care what he thinks anymore.

I THINK THE 6SIDED RING IS stupid.They should have the WWE ring.Just four side and four turn buckles.

Who came up with the idea of the ring.Did they think oh lets do this wwe havent done it so we will.

Its dumb and why.Dont even know why.It looks weird and strange to run in and wrestle.

WOO WOO WOO

YOU KNOW IT!

To me how many sides the ring has isn't really that relevant. But to people in TNA it can be looked at one of two ways.

1.) The Traditional Approach: TNA may be looking to target the disgruntled WCW/ECW fanbase that has been in hiding looking for some type of revenge towards Vince McMahon and WWE (this fanbase does exist). If this is so then maybe a more traditional four sided ring would be the way to go. Their already bringing in the names from the defunct companys why not make these new names feel at home with the style of ring they are used to. It's a big difference wrestling in a four sided ring to a six sided ring.

2.) TNA Sticking To Its Roots: TNA became appealing to alot of viewers because of their diversity with the X-Division and the Six Sided Ring. By getting rid of it they take away from the TNA tradition and also make it harder for their X-Division stars who are used to performing in a ring with six sides. When the ring has six sides the ropes are easier to leap off. In a four sided ring the ropes sag. You notice this when you watch a WWE match im sure.

Like I said I don't care either way whether the ring has four sides,six sides,or ten sides. But its a decision TNA needs to make without alienating any of their major superstars.

Meh, doesn't really bother me to be honest.

I personally prefer 4 sides, it's more traditional. But, I don't really mind TNA having 6 sides either as it IS something different to their competition and they make it work quite well.

The thing is, Hogan is now in control and I would start saying goodbye to the 6 sides if you're a TNA mark.

I THINK THE 6SIDED RING IS stupid.They should have the WWE ring.Just four side and four turn buckles.

Who came up with the idea of the ring.Did they think oh lets do this wwe havent done it so we will.

Its dumb and why.Dont even know why.It looks weird and strange to run in and wrestle.

WOO WOO WOO

YOU KNOW IT!

You are quite to fool. Why are you berating TNA for doing something the WWE hasn't? Surely that is the only way to go for TNA. For them to do everything WWE does would not be productive at all. I say keep the 6 Sided Ring, it is unique and gives the feeling of watching the cool show that not many people know about yet. Everyone loves being the first to like things before they became "cool". This will draw in those people. It is also great as it provides more room and different angles for moves to be performed at. If anything it adds to what would otherwise be a plain wrestling company. Quite honesty, if they had a 4 sided ring, there is not much else that would on first glance make them seem different to the WWE.

The six-sided ring makes TNA look cheap and gimmicky. People keep clamoring on and on about sticking to TNA's roots, and how it's what makes TNA different...well, it's also played a role in TNA getting around 1.0 in the ratings, so maybe changing some of there things up. If you're going to be a gimmick org, you're only ever going to have a niche audience.

I don't see how having a six-sided ring is a gimmick. Yeah it's different to the standard 4-side ring. But TNA aren't the only wrestling company to use different ring types. More to the point, for TNA's style of wrestling the six-sided ring makes far more sense than a 4-sided ring. It's perfect for x-division/crusierweight wrestlers, it's better for tag wrestling. In fact any match with more than 2 opponents benefits greatly from not only the added room but the ability to perform spots/maneuvers that would look far more awkward in a square ring. TNA don't need to change their ring type, they've always played themselves up as being an alternative to the WWE, having something as simple as a few extra ring posts helps convey that visually. So IMO the six-sided ring stays.

TO EVERYONE SAYING THE 6-SIDED RING DOESN'T HAVE AN EFFECT ON TNA, ANSWER ME THIS QUESTION: WHERE WOULD THE WWE BE, IF THEY CHANGED TO A 6-SIDED RING TONIGHT?

Please, answer that question, support your opinion, and try to convince me that the ring makes no difference. I've said before that the 6-sided ring is part of TNA's identity, and it shouldn't go, but everyone says that the ring should not have an effect. So, why not turn it around, and look at an established company with a 4-sided ring, and see what would happen to them.

If WWE changed to a 6-sided ring, would they lose viewers? Gain viewers? Would the live shows change? I can bet that they would lose viwers, because the regular viewers of WWE would not like the ring. we all know this, from all the marks coming in here and calling TNA stupid. TNA's ratings are not phenomenal right now, and they can't afford to alienate their core fanbase, especially with a large amount not liking the arrival of Hulk Hogan.

TO EVERYONE SAYING THE 6-SIDED RING DOESN'T HAVE AN EFFECT ON TNA, ANSWER ME THIS QUESTION: WHERE WOULD THE WWE BE, IF THEY CHANGED TO A 6-SIDED RING TONIGHT?

Please, answer that question, support your opinion, and try to convince me that the ring makes no difference. I've said before that the 6-sided ring is part of TNA's identity, and it shouldn't go, but everyone says that the ring should not have an effect. So, why not turn it around, and look at an established company with a 4-sided ring, and see what would happen to them.

If WWE changed to a 6-sided ring, would they lose viewers? Gain viewers? Would the live shows change? I can bet that they would lose viwers, because the regular viewers of WWE would not like the ring. we all know this, from all the marks coming in here and calling TNA stupid. TNA's ratings are not phenomenal right now, and they can't afford to alienate their core fanbase, especially with a large amount not liking the arrival of Hulk Hogan.

NSL's back :)

OT: If WWE changed to a 6-sided ring people WWE marks would warm to it because it's WWE, others (like myself) wouldn't be to fussed so long as we see some wrestling. Others would hate it because it's not traditional and do not like change.

I honestly didn’t realize there was this much emotion surrounding the 6 sided ring versus the 4 sided ring. This is why I love the IWC. Every issue is important. We continually come to these boards because we all want to see wrestling at its absolute best, down to the slightest detail. Great stuff. The 6 sided ring is TNA’s identity, yes that is true. However you have to look at this from what the majority of wrestling fans are comfortable with. A ring with 4 sides is natural for US viewers and converting to that just makes sense. If you want to steal WWE’s viewers which has a lot of casual everyday fans you will want to entice them with something that is familiar and something that will allow them to easily switch over.

Now the ring shape won’t necessarily boost or hurt ratings directly, but what the ring shape will do is allow more people to give TNA a chance. I hadn’t watched wrestling since the Attitude Era ended and WCW folded. I recently got back in around 2007. When I first heard of TNA at that time, I turned to it and said “Jesus Christ, this is bootleg. Look at the ring.” Now at that time I was a VERY casual fan with no hardcore interest in wrestling. You have to put yourself in that state of mind. At this point, I could give a shit what the shape of the ring is, because now I love wrestling again. The WWE has gotten so bad that I decided to give TNA a chance and boy am I happy. However, I had become a member of the IWC again so my switch had a lot of influence from everyone here.

Think of who is not online. Think of who needs to be watching wrestling again. Think of what you need to do to pull people in. The 6 sided ring is an identity of TNA but to how many people? About 1 million, with all of us being included in that. If you have a 4 sided ring, the extra 2 million that TNA is hoping to pull in over time will have no idea what the 6 sided ring is about and no one will even care except for smarks like us who analyze every aspect of a promotion.

Listen you may say that the 4 sided ring won’t really help…but think about this…will it hurt TNA? Who is going care other than a few people? I don’t think very many people will be against it. Yeah it’s a part of TNA, but a 4 sided ring is a part of pro wrestling.

You need to make people feel at home. A 6 sided ring for US wrestling fans does not feel like home. I am for the 4 sided ring for personal preference as well as the aforementioned reasons. The 6 sided ring took some time to get used to, and at the same time kept me from fully giving TNA a chance.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see what the big fuckin' deal is about the shape of a ring. If someone is going to base their viewership of a pro wrestling program upon the shape of the ring in which the wrestlers work in, then we have truly reached a low point in professional wrestling.

What's next? What if TNA decides it wants to move the commentators from ringside and put them into a booth closer to the stage? What if the WWE does that? What if TNA decides to change the shape of their turnbuckles? How about if TNA decides to print the logo of the 5 or 6 hour energy drink onto the canvas of the ring? Is that piece of blatant sponsor advertising really going to turn people away? Are TNA's fans gonna say they sold out?

Please, this shit is exactly what I'm talking about. TNA has far bigger problems to worry about than the shape of its ring. How about building some new and younger stars? How about working to produce a consistently coherant and high quality product? What about the use of some of their biggest stars or title holders? Couldn't TNA's handling of some of them be improved?

I don't care about the shape of TNA's ring. Wipe my ass with the shape of TNA's ring. The only way the shape of TNA's ring would get my attention would be if Velvet Sky did a pole dance butt ass naked right in the center of it.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see what the big fuckin' deal is about the shape of a ring. If someone is going to base their viewership of a pro wrestling program upon the shape of the ring in which the wrestlers work in, then we have truly reached a low point in professional wrestling.

What's next? What if TNA decides it wants to move the commentators from ringside and put them into a booth closer to the stage? What if the WWE does that? What if TNA decides to change the shape of their turnbuckles? How about if TNA decides to print the logo of the 5 or 6 hour energy drink onto the canvas of the ring? Is that piece of blatant sponsor advertising really going to turn people away? Are TNA's fans gonna say they sold out?

Please, this shit is exactly what I'm talking about. TNA has far bigger problems to worry about than the shape of its ring. How about building some new and younger stars? How about working to produce a consistently coherant and high quality product? What about the use of some of their biggest stars or title holders? Couldn't TNA's handling of some of them be improved?

I don't care about the shape of TNA's ring. Wipe my ass with the shape of TNA's ring. The only way the shape of TNA's ring would get my attention would be if Velvet Sky did a pole dance butt ass naked right in the center of it.

Jack, we have been at a low point in wrestling for quite some time. Haven't you seen ratings? What will boost ratings again? No one fucking knows....hey, maybe it'll be guest hosts! Maybe it'll be Hogan! Maybe it'll be DX! Maybe its the shape of the fucking ring! Who knows?

What we do know is that TNA is trying to change its image and get more fans. What steps are they going to take to do that? They are saying its the ring. I agree to a certain extent, and I think it is a good idea. Is it a bad idea? Absolutely not. Is going to a 4 sided ring going to stop you from watching? I would hope not. But is going to a 4 sided ring going to make little Johnny watch? I don't know, but I would guess it would....why not?

They are drawing 1 point fucking 0's...anything is worth a shot man. Nobody really watches as it is. If going with something familiar to fans is an option to get people to turn from USA, ESPN, and FOX to Spike, I say do it. Fuck it, what's the worse that could happen? They are going against the WW fucking E next Monday. Whatever ammo they have in their guns they need to fire it.

There is no awkwardness on Irish whips. I have no clue what you mean. What match are you watching, where there's any awkwardness?

Are you blind or something? TNA mark? A lot of people complain about the "awkwardness". Maybe this is just our views or something, so I won't get into this. I'll leave this quote here with my response:

The six sided ring is what makes TNA unique and should not be removed. Maybe they could make the ropes a bit springier and the mat like what the WWE uses.

Best post made in this thread. Take note on the bolded part. Well, not sure about the mat, but definitely on the rope part.

dude the six-sided ring is the most impressive thing ive ever seen and its really innovative

^^^ It's ignorance from the marks that drives me crazy.

As far as a better flow, you're just wrong. You take the X Division matches, and place them in a 4-sided ring, and you get absolutely no flow. They don't have the angles to work off, and they don't have the extra space for getting speed going, and getting more than 3 guys going with spots.

This, on the other hand, is absolutely true. The Mexicans are mostly high-flyers and when they utilize the six-sided ring it works to their advantage; that's AAA, though. When I see a few Mexican indy shows, it...feels as if the wrestlers are missing something in the traditional ring -- but they use less lucha libre moves and the shows are pretty dull.

Nice cop-out post, holmes. But alex-awesome nailed it with his response.

Yeah, the six-sided ring is part of TNA's identity, but who will ultimately be affected by this change? The TNA marks. I'm a bit biased against them because there are MANY of them who actually believe it's 'revolutionary' having that many sides instead of going with tradition -- "it's been done before, you're just too late" is what I'd tell them in person.

And for all of us that live in the USA, and have seen fuck shit to do with Mexican wrestling, the 6-sided ring is unique and original. So, your point is null.

No, your point is null -- the Americans are just late when it comes to the whole "ZOMG 6-SIDED RING IS NEW N INVENTIVE!!1". That's like saying you lived in an Amish town for half your life and you see someone driving up with a vehicle: it isn't new, you're just behind the times.

The six sided ring is symbolic for only three promotions world wide. Those three are TNA, UWF, and AAA.

TNA just so happens to be the biggest promotion out of the three that uses it.

Are you sure? I watch AAA a few times a month and there are a whole lot more people in attendance than any PPV by TNA. Also, AAA was around longer, but I can understand TNA being bigger due to the language barrier -- since English is practically a world-wide language.

I really have never been to big on the 6 sided ring. If I remember right didn't TNA start out with a 4 sided ring? Whether or not it goes or stays doesn't mean much to me.

In my opinion the 6 sided ring doesn't bring much differnt to the promotion. It just a ring, that's all it is. It hasn't make people watch TNA, the only people who watch it are the people who stuck with it and liked it from the beginning. So I can understand Hogans thinking. He doesn't see much use for it.

I really have never been to big on the 6 sided ring. If I remember right didn't TNA start out with a 4 sided ring?

People really need to stop bringing this up. Yes, they started with a four-sided ring. But, they didn't get a national TV deal, and they were nothing more than a small-time indy company until they changed the ring shape. Once they changed the ring, they quickly got the deal with SpikeTV, and they started getting a larger fanbase.

Obviously the ring is a draw for TNA, so why change it? As I've said here, and in other threads, not many of the homegrown fans like the idea of Hogan arriving, so further alienating them by dumping the ring would not be a smart move.

Fuck Hogan. Why would you want to change the ring? That's part of TNA's identity. That's part of what makes them stand out from everyone else. The ring is awesome. A whole lot of TNA's matches are based around this ring. You have the Ultimate X, you have the Six Sides of Steel. It's a necessity in TNA. I'd be pretty pissed if they got rid of it. Jesus, Hogan hasn't even debuted and he's already changing shit.

For me changing the ring would be too weird. I remember watching TNA when it had the 4 sided ring. Then reading the rumors saying they had bought a 6 sided ring and thinking "WTF, that's dumb". But now makes TNA stand out. If I was flipping through the channel a 6 sided ring would make me stop and look. When I show TNA to people for the first they have the same reaction I did. But they come to love it.

Would I stop watching TNA if they stopped using it? No. Would it take awhile for my eye to adjust? Yes. Now going back and watching old TNA matches in the 4 sided ring just seems weird.

I hate the six sided ring. I have hated it since the first moment I watched TNA but I don't think they should change it. I am not saying this as some sort of sabotage but rather because of the fact that it is the whole identity of TNA. The six sided ring was the first thing I noticed that was different about the company and the thing that drew me in initially. That being said, I don't like it. It should stay the same though because it is part of TNA's identity. If they changed the ring, I could perhaps think of them as a more legitimate company but I don't think it would fit in with what they are trying to achieve. I was of the impression that were trying to be alternative but now they are trying to become what their competition is.

Either way, we cannot speculate whether it will be a good thing or not. A lot of people think that it will help legitimize the company but then you have people like me that will be sad to see TNA lose some of it's unique identity.

People really need to stop bringing this up. Yes, they started with a four-sided ring. But, they didn't get a national TV deal, and they were nothing more than a small-time indy company until they changed the ring shape. Once they changed the ring, they quickly got the deal with SpikeTV, and they started getting a larger fanbase.

Obviously the ring is a draw for TNA, so why change it? As I've said here, and in other threads, not many of the homegrown fans like the idea of Hogan arriving, so further alienating them by dumping the ring would not be a smart move.

Yeah, it's a huge draw. That' why they've been getting those stellar .8 ratings!

TNA is nothing right now. SOmething has to change. It has a loyal core of fans, but they're a small group. If you want TNA to get bigger, to get more fans, to make more money, they need to change, and one of those things should be the ring which looks dumb to the majority of wrestling fans.

I have watched wrestling since the 80's and love the squared circle. I tried to watch TNA last night for the first time. It was distracting me the whole night. I would watch TNA more if they had a regular ring.

After weeks of defending TNA and the six sides. Its inevitably come to attention that TNA is going to put into play a four sided ring. I don't want to talk about which they should do because one is true to them, and the other is to suck up to the ignorant monopoly fans.

I heard from a source i cant really remember so i apologize for that, that the six sided ring is going to be "destroyed" during Impact. This is a fantastic idea. They can have the drunk ass ex NWO (Not bashing, Loved NWO) do something stupid. Now i don't know if TNA is doing this to test it out again and see if it affects ratings, or if they want to use it as a replacement for the time being for teh previous reason and work some sort of switch but..

With modern technology, How about a convertible ring? Clearly X division matches rely on six sides, and it is symbolic to TNA. But heavyweight contenders and confused less skilled Knockouts may be able to use four sides. Tag matches will benefit from more room for creativity. The ring can be switched by the "pitstop boys" during promos, commercials and in between matches as necessary. Surely TNA isn't planning on scrapping "six sides of steel and the steel asylum.

I leave you with this. Why the hell should die hard TNA fans have to suffer from loosing what may have drawn them to TNA, just to satisfy drawing in others? Compromise guys, Compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back