• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Survivor Series 2013 - WWE Championship: Randy Orton (c) VS Big Show

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
As part of Big Show settling his "lawsuit" against WWE, he was given his job back by Triple H and was also given a WWE Championship match against Randy Orton at Survivor Series. Following this, Big Show was beaten down by the combined efforts of Orton & The Shield.

Personally, my level of interest in this match & feud is pretty lukewarm at the moment. I think that Big Show has done a great job in his role since his return and Randy Orton is definitely refreshed since turning heel. His promo last night before his match with Big E. Langston, while brief, was one of the better ones he's had in quite a while. Big Show is also probably more over now than he's been in many years, maybe even ever, and he's been consistently getting a strong response from fans since his return. But there's just no real zing to this match for me and is a major step downward from the Bryan vs. Orton program.

For me personally, I think part of it might be the fact that these are already two looooooooong established stars going at it. Looking at Bryan over the course of the summer, CM Punk moving on from his feud with Paul Heyman for the time being, the Wyatt Family stepping up, John Cena returning to suddenly & unexpectedly becoming WHC, the strong work of The Shield, the strong work of Cody Rhodes & Goldust, Big E. Langston getting a solid push the past few weeks, the Divas actually becoming somewhat relevant and the overall increase in quality in the tag team division as a whole; Orton vs. Show simply doesn't feel even remotely fresh and seems kind of stagnant compared to a lot of what else has been going on.

In Bryan vs. Orton, the instability of the WWE Championship in terms of fans & even dirtsheet writers not being able to reach any consensus on what they thought was going to happen kept my interest up. I feel Bryan should be champion, but the fact that he's not doesn't change the refreshingly unpredictable element as to who would walk out as champ. With that feud behind them for the time being, the WWE Championship will be much more stable, as it should be, so there's little to no chance of Big Show winning the title. I don't see Orton retaining the title cleanly, but I think there's about a 99% chance that he does keep it.

An Orton/Big Show match is hardly must-see. Can't see it doing Cena/Rock vs. Miz/R-Truth numbers (*The Miz & R-Truth headinles a major PPV just two years ago, drazy).

I'm sure it'll be a solid match. That's my prediction. A solid match. Orton get's to defeat Big Show so he doesn't seem like a complete loser, but only with the help of Triple H. Then we have Triple H vs. Big Show to be apathetic to.

....and Randy Orton is definitely refreshed since turning heel.

He really is, and it's this aspect that makes this contest more interesting than it might initially seem.

Sometimes, I wonder whether the next Randy Orton meltdown is as inevitable as the next Mark Henry injury.....but once again, I find myself hoping he really has matured to the extent that he can be counted on from here on in. Perhaps hotel rooms around the world are finally safe from Randy's rages. If so, management might keep him as champion longer than we think.

As for Big Show; a plan seems to be in place.....and it's already been running for a few months. The whole "will he stay face or will he turn corporate" program remains an item of interest....and why not? Show has done a fine job turning on the emotions as he's been yanked back and forth by the forces of the McMahon-Levesque regime. Last night, he finally gained the advantage and wound up securing a title shot for himself.

Orton vs. Show might not be as much of a shoo-in for Randy as we think. Big Show is coming off as a strong, yet sympathetic character and that damn "knockout punch" of his can turn any contest his way without warning.

Other posts on this forum have indicated "outrage" at Randy's winning the championship instead of Daniel Bryan. But it actually is understandable: to complete Big Show's latest program, they need a mega-heel as champ to face him at a big PPV.

Well, the mega-heel is in position....and the final chapter in Show's latest renaissance has a proper stage on which to play out. Maybe they plan to give Big Show one more reign as champion. If not, they've got a corporate bad guy at the top who can carry the ball.

I'm just not interested in this match at all, the feud is Triple H vs Big Show, that should have been the back up main event to Orton leading a team against a team led by Bryan.

As far as the outcome goes, I guess Orton wins unless they want to transition the WWE title to Triple H via Big Show. I just hope this is one and done, I don't want a rematch at TLC that sees Triple H vs Big Show dragged out even longer.

If this is the main event and Cena wrestles Del Rio, the buy rates should be terrible.

I would've actually been ok with the WWE Title not being defended at this ppv. Orton and The Shield (or Kane instead of Ambrose if you want to put a US Title match on the card) vs. Bryan, Punk, Rhodes and Goldust in a traditional elimination match sounds better to me.

Then Big Show vs. Triple H with the stipulation that if Big Show wins, he gets a title shot the next night on Raw.

So this looks like the headliners to me, which is so disappointing...

Orton vs. Big Show

Cena vs. Del Rio

Bryan & Punk (maybe The Miz) vs. The Wyatt Family

The 3rd match is actually more interesting than either of the title matches. Hopefully something like Mark Henry returning can liven things up. They need something even bigger though to make this something the fans want to buy.

Yeah I see this being a one off match they can set up Show vs. Trips whether he wins or loses. It's also not something I'm not interested in not because of the match itself because I really don't think they've had too many matches but I don't care for Blandy Boreton and Big Show isn't really moving me either way as well. I just hope they can put together an unexpectedly good match and that the rest of the card can hold up this possibly weak main event.

I really hate the idea of The Big Show getting a title shot. He hasn't been impressive for years and he is just taking up a spot to someone I actually want to see. The match will be average at best unless they add a gimmick. I understand it furthers the storyline but surely there are other options for both guys. Show could face Triple H or be involved in a tag-team match. Orton could also feature in a tag-match or face someone like The Miz, Ziggler, hell, even Kofi Kingston.

Anyway, Orton wins probably due to a Triple H interference - how fantastic for us.

I’m happy with this match. WWE has put a lot of time building toward it and has made Big Show a sympathetic character. The only problem is I wasn’t feeling much sympathy for Big Show on Monday. Threatening a lawsuit in order to get a title shot is not exactly inspiring. In fact lawsuit storylines are always a bad idea in wrestling. Now that Big Show has his job back hopefully we can forget about the lawsuit nonsense and Big Show can regain some of that sympathy he gained over the past couple months. Hard to believe Orton and Big Show have been in WWE together for so long and have never really crossed paths. It may not seem like the most exciting match in the world but I’m sure they’ll match up just fine.

Orton kicks out of the KO Punch, and when it looks like Orton will lose, Triple H steps in. It looks at first like he is going to hit Big Show, but instead, hits Orton. The next night on Raw, he apologizes to Randy, and tells him he had to, because it's what's best for business. This sets up some distrust between Orton and HHH for further down the line, and moves Show over to feud with HHH instead. This opens up the possibility for Orton to feud with...somebody else...maybe a returning Sheamus or Mysterio? I am aware it's been done before, and alot, but it would have more longevity than Show, and could wrap up at RR, or whenever.

Everything points to Orton winning this match, so obviously there's going to be some sort of swerve that either brings a new player into the match (Wyatt, Punk, etc.) or Big Show actually walks out with the title. It's just too much of a Monday Night Raw match not to have some sort of shenanigans. I'm just amazed at the regularity that the WWE likes to throw Big Show into main events (No Way Out and Summer Slam last year).

I can't remember the last time I was so underwhelmed by a WWE Championship match on pay per view.

Big Show will dominate the vast majority of the match, until Orton escapes at the end via a fast count from the referee, some other screwy and unforeseen circumstances, or some outside interference. After that, I'm guessing Show exploits some kind of legal loophole in his new deal with Stephanie and Triple H for a rematch at TLC, and Orton will retain again.

Sorry, but this match feels like a Raw main event for me.

This PPV should tank. The whole card just feels so blech that I can't believe that SummerSlam was only 2 months ago. They've sucked a lotta fun out of things and I am NOW repulsed by the authority storyline. So much so, I saw the whole of Raw and changed the channel at the last segment when all these guys were on my screen trying to do some horrid improv this week on Raw.

Big Show wins Via DQ for me. Make Reigns Spear Show or do something noteworthy and I might read the results.

Hard to believe Orton and Big Show have been in WWE together for so long and have never really crossed paths. It may not seem like the most exciting match in the world but I’m sure they’ll match up just fine.

Except for when they fought at Extreme Rules.

Yeah, fine with the match. Should be adequate. Show is over as all hell, which is good for him.

But Orton needs the win and will win. He's been made to look an absolute weakling by jobbing out to Daniel Bryan for 5 months or so, a big title win over a fan favourite is what he needs.

He's only warming the title for someone else decent after all.

I am never a fan of the Big Show in the main event. I have just never been a huge Big Show fan. The title has been in such disarray the last few months that I believe Orton needs to win this match. I think it would be really silly for Show to take the title here, or even in a rematch. It does seem obvious that Orton will win so I could see some type or swerve happening. I guess it is also possible that they want to give Show one last run with the title before he retires, but I really think Orton will retain in this match.

Big Show is over, get over it. That's all that matters, they've done a ton of character work. This is an angle match. It's going to further a storyline and yes it's okay for WWE a Title ppv matches to do that. They did it in the Tude era all the time. The card is fairly well balanced. Show/Orton is going to be your 90s style ref bump "Oh Mah GAWD what just happened?!" match. The 5 v 5 is going to be the stunt show. Cena/Alberto will be a solid match. Daniel Bryan/CM Punk vs Wyatt's will be brutal. Both punk and DB are great at making big guys look like monsters. Sprinkle in a divas match and a Ziggler match and that's a solid, balanced card. It's about variety.

In a nutshell, I'm not disappointed by Show/Orton because it's an angle match and the rest of the card is diverse enough to get your fix of whatever else.

Since this match was first announced, I think they have done a fairly good job of building it. I like how there is a no interference rule because Orton shouldn't have anyone else help him defeat The Big Show. Although, I wouldn't completely rule interference out.

While it won't be a 5 star match, it is understandable that The Big Show is involved. He wouldn't be my choice for the WWE title match but hopefully this brings his part of the angle to an end.

20131121_SurvivorSeries_Orton_Show_LIGHT_HOMEPAGE.jpg

I really hope this does not main event. The World Heavyweight Championship match should, but I'll get into more on that in the thread regarding that match. I can't say that I'm very interested in this match. Big Show has been rather annoying ever since the "best for business" storyline began. His crying act, the lawsuit thing, him supposedly being short on money (kayfabe), it's been frustrating to deal with. Orton deserves better in a contender. I hope this is the end of the feud, I do NOT want to see it continue into TLC. The angle needs to just simply end, or have Bryan regain contendership of the belt. Either Bryan or Punk should go after Orton next after he retains in this match. Randy Orton retains here. There is no reason to make Big Show the WWE Champion. The honor of dethroning him should go to someone like Bryan who can stand up to Trips' idea of what is best for business; and I do not see Big Show being the wrestler to do that within kayfabe. I predict, and taking a bit of a risk in said prediction, that it will be 2nd to last or 3rd to last.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Randy Orton retains the WWE Championship.

This match met my very low expectations. Even the crowd were chanting for Bryan and started the boring chants! Such a predictable result, even with HHH & Steph appearing. The only "good" thing was after the match, because now I don't have a clue on who Cena & Orton will defend against at TLC (why Cena appeared at the end? Are they really going for the title vs title at WM30 this early??)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back