• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Stop all this nerd shit and talk about Super Smash Bros

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
Who has it? If you don't, are you going to wait for the Wii U version? Are you getting both? Who's your main?

I don't own it yet (getting it on the 15th) but I played a friend's copy extensively and holy shit, it's so good! My mains, Mr. Game & Watch and ROB, control SO well in it. They also fixed Ness. Can't wait to wreck shit online.

Mii Fighters are a welcome addition. Lots of fun to build custom movesets and characters. I hope the Wii U version adds even more features somehow. As someone who spends hours and hours making CAWs, this is a dream come true for me. Can't wait to put in all the fighters I wish made it in, starting with Professor Layton and Marina Liteyears.

Who's your favorite newcomer? I bet you're expecting me to say Mega Man, and while I do love how he controls and even makes the old school buster noises whenever he fires the Mega Buster, I'm gonna have to go with Little Mac. When you get up close to an enemy you are unstoppable, and his stage is fantastic.

What say you? Also, when I get it, anyone up for a game or two?

Hey dude, we were talking Smash in Lee's gamer thread, but yeah, it might well deserve its own!

I too am enjoying the Mii fighters, more than I thought I would! They're actually pretty good and the costumes are fun!

You are welcome to have a match or two with me. (I also play some Pokemon if you're into that too but not on a competitive level or anything). I am not very good though, just so you're aware!

My favourite newcomers are Robin and Shulk but I'll always be biased in favour of anything Fire Emblem or Xenoblade.

Favorite newcomer is probably Robin. Strong striking, with a powerful range shot, suddenly I have the best of Link and Samus mixed together almost. Still, I gotta stick to my favorite in Sheik. She's been my main go to character since Melee and I still stick to it.

Your thoughts on Smash Run? It feels to me like I just absolutely wrecked in the power up gathering part all the time and any benefits I gain seem to be minimal for the main fight or trial at the end.

Waiting on the Wii U version. Rosalina is the newcomer I am the most excited about playing as.

The reasons Roy and Mewtwo were omitted are just plain lazy. But Lyn is a trophy which makes me smile.

Waiting for the Wii U version. Pleasantly surprised that two of my mains, Ike and R.O.B., made it back in, even if Wolf didn't.

Your thoughts on Smash Run? It feels to me like I just absolutely wrecked in the power up gathering part all the time and any benefits I gain seem to be minimal for the main fight or trial at the end.

As a mode, it's a ton of fun. It reminds me a lot of The Great Cave Offensive from Kirby's Super Star, which is a pretty high compliment. It's cool to see a bunch of classic enemies and characters from various Nintendo games as cannon fodder, plus you can get prizes and custom fighter parts pretty easily through it.

If I'm honest, the only part I'm not feeling is the fight at the end. It's fun, sure, because the game's fun, but it just feels disconnected from all the exploring and beating up and powering up you just did. I feel like if they had just made the exploring/powering up the main part of Smash Run and maybe made it some kind of challenge mode to get more points than other players it would have been fine.

True fact, played SSBB only once in my life. I owned a Wii. I was that fucked up before moving to the U.S.

Super Smash Brothers is a concept where I've never understood the fascination. I played the first one quite a bit and never got the appeal, though I've never cared for fighting games for the most part. It was fun but it never blew me away.

It's more the party element that makes it so popular. It was the first notable 4 player fighter, it didn't need any learning or complex combo systems to get into it and the cross-over appeal of having Pikachu bash Mario's brains with Kirby's star.

I played the first one quite a bit and never got the appeal

If the only one you played was Super Smash Bros 64, that may be why. It was a fun game.... but Melee and Brawl are exponentially better. The new one already looks like it will be a lot of fun too.

I have it because it's Hadj and what the fuck else was I going to do with two weeks off. It's alright I guess.

I don't think it scales down well, you'll never really get the same communal multiplayer experience on a handheld, and that's basically 90% of what the game had going for it. I'm also disappointed to see some gameplay modes removed; especially break the targets and challenge, which were personal favorites of mine from melee. It also seems all the secret characters are unlocked basically the same way now, which is a bit disappointing.

Still, it's alright. The AI is good enough that I don't automatically win at higher difficulties, which is refreshing for anything on a handheld. The roster is impressive, and most of the characters feel unique. I'm not sure what Lucina is for, early impressions are that she's the worst palette swap of all time, basically playing as 'Marth for beginners'.

I'll probably remain a Marth player, since that's what I was during the gamecube era, though my first impressions of Zero Suit Sammas are pretty positive.

I've got it. Enjoying it. Only got one character left to unlock though.

The game is incredible. Unlocked every fighter.

So fucking happy they included
DUCK HUNT
in the game. If only he had a stage.

So far my favorite to play as is Ike, but I'm really diggin the Mii brawler. The unlockable guy in spoilers is fun as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back