Sting Reveals That WWE Did Make Him a WMania 27 Offer

ITALIAN NYC

Getting Noticed By Management
In a new interview with The Daily Star, TNA star Sting had the following to say concerning the swirling rumors WWE offering him a deal to wrestle The Undertaker at WrestleMania and a possible Hall of Fame induction:

"I wouldn't say it was utter nonsense, that's not true!" laughs Sting. "It's a dream match that fans would want to see. It was close. I'm glad things turned out the way they did.

“There are so many variables. Let's just say that I turned it down for the same reasons I always have. Something in me never trusted what would happen up there, based entirely on the track record with other WCW guys and everything that went on after Vince bought WCW.

"I wont be watching but I'll be asking what happened between Undertaker and Triple H."

I wish Sting would realize things are alot different now in the WWE compared to back when WCW was bought. Im guessing they wanted him doing more dates than he wanted.

I really wish Sting had taken this gig. It would have really added to what is shaping up to be a special WrestleMania.

I know he is kind of anti-WWE, but considering the "reasons" he always gave, isn't TNA the "dirty" show now?

I think alot more people would have paid for Sting vs. Taker than HHH vs. Taker. Though it will still do well, that dream match would have been one for the ages.

I don't know about Sting agreeing to joining the WWE to immediately lose on the biggest stage though. So, maybe that was a stickler for him. Would not be shocked to see him on board in the next year or two though, even if only for a six-month run or so.

EDIT: Obviously this could be a April Fool's joke. But either way, it is worth commenting on.

If Sting is right, if it's not an April fools and he still believe 100% in what he said, I think it's kind of dumb.

He talk about how the wCw guys were treated back then but he should seen what WWE did after. Look at Booker T who became bigger in WWE than he ever was because he was willing to work. Look at Flair in WWE, Hogan who came back, Nash. Those guys (Nash and Booker) even jump back lately, so it may not be that bad I guess.

Sting need to realise that he is bigger than anything the WWE has right now and if he came they couldn't do anything wrong with him.

It's not like Goldberg, this guy is a Ric Flair, Undertaker or shawn Michaels. If he still resent it to this day fine, but to still don't trust them on that is dumb imho.

Poor Sting he is blind. Vince is a business man. He isn't dumb enough to bury Sting. He knows that Sting would give him business and merch sells galore. Plus the new young crowd would grow to love him more. imagine all the little kids wanting to have the sting paint or sting shirts.

"I wouldn't say it was utter nonsense, that's not true!" laughs Sting. "It's a dream match that fans would want to see".

Interesting way of putting it, Sting. Obviously, it's a dream match that you've decided the fans aren't going to get to see! As you say, the fans would love to see it......but, so what?

You figure you might as well keep your legendary self stuck in the minor leagues where you can take on the drug-addled rejects from WWE, huh?

Thanks, Stinger!

I honestly don't see a logical reason why Sting would turn that down. It's WRESTLEMANIA! It's not like they're bringing him for a Raw appearance and then burying him on every show they have. They wanted to put him in the biggest program with one of the biggest stars of all time... and Sting decides that he'd rather have short matches with Jeff Hardy being completely bombed on TV than to appear at Wrestlemania.

Makes NO sense to me. Even as a Christian, it's not like the morals in TNA are better than the WWE's are at this point. And by now, Vince doesn't care about WCW. It's an afterthought. If this were in 2005 or earlier, I'd say he had a legit reason not to. But not in 2011, in the twilight of his career.

Sting has to have other reasons why besides, "The same old reasons." There's something more going on. What it could be? I have no clue.

I understand that he has no faith in Vince, but I don't he wanted to be just another victim in the Undertaker's streak, there was no way Sting was going to win, and even after that I don't think they could do much with him after that would meet his expectations. However, with the tna and jeff hardy mess at the last ppv, anyone would think that if he had a second chance to go back and try to do the Wrestlemania match, but you can't so Sting has to live with the filth. This is going to sound harsh, but I believe Sting just needs to retire, I dont want to see him around 60, like Hogan trying to wrestle with a every broken bone in the body and ruining his legacy. Leave while your still respected Stinger, don't flush it down the drain.

I think Sting is completly full of Shit, does he really think that Vince would throw him a boatload of money only to bury him. Vince isn't that stupid he's not going to invest in a superstar buy paying him a shitload of money only to bury him after mania. This was Sting's chance to wrestle on the Grandest stage of them all against one of the greatest of all time and possiblly be inducted to the Hall of Fame, and he throws it away to wrestle a drug addict in a second rate company making significantly less money.

What a joke, he says hes happy with how things turned out but how can he be, I mean he threw away the biggest opportunity in his career for what a chance to wrestle in a company filled with old losers that hog the spot light from the more deserving younger talent. This really pisses me off, we should be watching Sting vs Taker but instead we get a match we saw ten years ago because Sting has too much pride to sign with the WWE.

I really wish Sting had taken this gig. It would have really added to what is shaping up to be a special WrestleMania.

I know he is kind of anti-WWE, but considering the "reasons" he always gave, isn't TNA the "dirty" show now?

I think alot more people would have paid for Sting vs. Taker than HHH vs. Taker. Though it will still do well, that dream match would have been one for the ages.

I don't know about Sting agreeing to joining the WWE to immediately lose on the biggest stage though. So, maybe that was a stickler for him. Would not be shocked to see him on board in the next year or two though, even if only for a six-month run or so.

EDIT: Obviously this could be a April Fool's joke. But either way, it is worth commenting on.
Why can't you be happy for Sting and stop being so selfish?

WWE has buried every major WCW superstar that came over, they had Ric Flair working as a fucking jobber! RIC FUCKING FLAIR! He couldn't even get on Wrestlemania some years, so we could see their trash.

I for one commend Sting, for not letting WWE tarnish his legacy

So Sting thinks wrestling a drunken drugged out bum for 9 mins (even though hardy literally spent 2 minutes to come out and about 4 minutes pretending to throw his shirt) is more respectful to his character than having the biggest sports entertainment dream match in the twilight of his career against the biggest legend of the WWE on the grandest stage of them all?

I know I'll get flamed for this, but Mr. Borden can take all his BS and shove it up his a**. I hope he doesn't whine like a loser when Taker vs HHH this sunday becomes another legendary match at Wrestlemania unlike that POS with Jeff.

WWE has buried every major WCW superstar that came over, they had Ric Flair working as a fucking jobber! RIC FUCKING FLAIR! He couldn't even get on Wrestlemania some years, so we could see their trash.

Please.

This is as far from reality as you can get.

'buried every major WCW superstar'?!?!?! Really?

Maybe we should see what Chris Jericho thinks?

Or how about the Big Show?

Too bad Eddie Guererro and Chris Benoit weren't still with us, as I wonder how they'd feel about their mistreatment?

How about Rey Mysterio? He must be miserable being so mistreated fo all these years.

And Nash and Booker T have to be so happy that they escaped WWE, huh?

And I'll bet Stone Cold Steve Austin is just kicking himself for ever leaving WCW!

:rolleyes:

Sting sure looked 'glad things turned out the way they did' a few weeks ago, when the fans were booing the main event involving Sting and a drug addict unfit to be in the ring.

I seem to recall somebody 'agreeing' with the fans.

Wonder who that was?

:confused:

One of the dumbest business decisions anyone has ever made and now everyone suffers for it.

One of the dumbest business decisions anyone has ever made and now everyone suffers for it.

That's the point. Yes, a person is allowed to work wherever they want, but when you're one of the true legends in your chosen field, you owe it to the people who made you a legend (i.e., the fans) to show yourself in front of many of those people as possible. The scenario I keep using on this forum is Derek Jeter of the Yankees deciding he wanted to spend his career in Triple A because he likes it better there. That would be a total waste.....and Sting finishing his career in the minor leagues is equally as wasteful.

As to the idea that he wouldn't want to work a full-time schedule, I don't have access to the thinking process of Vince McMahon, but logic dictates that Sting is one of the few people in pro wrestling who could write his own ticket. If he wanted a part-time schedule, lots of money and other special privileges, I'd wager he could get it. McMahon has already adjusted his thinking on guys like HBK and Undertaker, right? They take tons of time off whenever they want it and are still allowed to work for WWE.

If any of the lesser employees came to McMahon and demand the same deal as 'Taker, Vince would tell them they can have that arrangement as soon as they've had the seniority and impact on the business that HBK and 'Taker have had.

The point is, Sting also falls in 'Taker's category. I seriously doubt that WWE would "bury" him (a great term when comparing him to Undertaker, no?). A good example of this is Bret Hart's latest go-around with the company. Look at how happy he's been with how he's been treated this time. My guess is that Vince McMahon has learned how to treat the legends of wrestling and is acting accordingly.

I was one of the people who honestly believed Sting was the one coming on 2-21, but was mollified when he didn't by the thought that the whole thing was media driven; that no one from WWE had actually contacted Sting. Now that it appears there was some truth to the rumors, I believe that Sting has made a stupid decision.

He owes the fans more than we owe him. He should be in the major leagues.

Tarnish his legacy? As opposed to having to endure Victory Road and walk agreeing with the bullshit chants from the audience?

Sting is capable of making whatever decision he wants, I don't condone or condemn this particular choice, but to say that staying a champion on a brand willing to put up with things like Jeff Hardy's highly inappropriate actions and mired in stories with Hogan and Flair like we never left the late 80's/ early 90's as opposed to going to WM27 and having a career defining match against the only other star to have Sting's devotion to a single company and be seen in a very similar light is better is not even remotely logical or accurate.

I'm going to say this again: WWE did not kill WCW. Bad booking, backstabbing and ultimately Turner's decision to close down shop did all that. The WWE had nothing to do with that. Was Vince being spiteful or childish by buying the company? Perhaps, perhaps not, but it was a business decision and Vince knows this business better than those at either WCW or TNA. A lot of talent from ECW and WCW got lost in the Invasion angle but a lot managed to both salvage and flourish in it as well.

And I wish I had a clue as to where this idea that Sting losing to UT at WM is a burial comes from. No one has beaten Taker at WM, the streak has been booked as being significant, and has become so by the audience watching. Those that love the Undertaker as a performer (myself included) have a lot of respect for his 20 year dedication to the WWE and see the streak as being someone he gets that no one else has, or will likely ever get. Losing to Taker has helped elevate many of his opponents as the matches are highly anticipated and watched and Taker sells very well. He's a professional, same as Sting is.
Is there a reason you think a man who has never wrestled in the WWE should automatically come in and go over on Taker at WM? Who would gain a lot just by getting the visibility and paycheck of being in the WWE in a program with Taker?

And correct me if I'm wrong but Flair's very first entrance into the then WWF after leaving NWA because he was unhappy with the higher ups and the direction the company was going in came in with his belt!!!! They pushed the hell out of him when he first got there. he was involved in angles with Hogan (cost him the title by helping Taker get his first title win) and most of the upper card. Did get lost later? Sure but he also left back to WCW and came back later only to become part of a feud with HHH, help sprearhead a top faction patterned after his own 4 Horsemen in Evolution, and eventually recieve the absolute best sendoff he could ever receive in his epic WM match with Michaels.

Please give me an example where WCW did the same for Bret Hart, who came in with much the same steam and popularity as Flair. Did he get a title or 2? Sure but also got lost quickly and eventually became unable to perform thanks to injury. That did him a lot of favors didn't it?

I can be happy for Sting, but I can do it without being convinced that the WWE is poison to anyone that's ever worked for WCW, which has been proven to be demonstrably false. Sting can do whatever he wants, whether we think it's a good idea or not. Stop clouding the issue and leave it at that.

That's the point. Yes, a person is allowed to work wherever they want, but when you're one of the true legends in your chosen field, you owe it to the people who made you a legend (i.e., the fans) to show yourself in front of many of those people as possible. The scenario I keep using on this forum is Derek Jeter of the Yankees deciding he wanted to spend his career in Triple A because he likes it better there. That would be a total waste.....and Sting finishing his career in the minor leagues is equally as wasteful.

That's my thinking as well. Fading away rather than going out in a blaze of glory, with new main event matches in front of tens of thousands against one 'dream opponent' after another.

As to the idea that he wouldn't want to work a full-time schedule, I don't have access to the thinking process of Vince McMahon, but logic dictates that Sting is one of the few people in pro wrestling who could write his own ticket. If he wanted a part-time schedule, lots of money and other special privileges, I'd wager he could get it. McMahon has already adjusted his thinking on guys like HBK and Undertaker, right? They take tons of time off whenever they want it and are still allowed to work for WWE.

Exactly. Vince McMahon realizes that Sting can't work a full-time schedule at 51 an wouldn't expect him to. I'm sure he got the 'Shawn Michaels work schedule' offered to him.

If any of the lesser employees came to McMahon and demand the same deal as 'Taker, Vince would tell them they can have that arrangement as soon as they've had the seniority and impact on the business that HBK and 'Taker have had.

The point is, Sting also falls in 'Taker's category. I seriously doubt that WWE would "bury" him (a great term when comparing him to Undertaker, no?). A good example of this is Bret Hart's latest go-around with the company. Look at how happy he's been with how he's been treated this time. My guess is that Vince McMahon has learned how to treat the legends of wrestling and is acting accordingly.

I was one of the people who honestly believed Sting was the one coming on 2-21, but was mollified when he didn't by the thought that the whole thing was media driven; that no one from WWE had actually contacted Sting. Now that it appears there was some truth to the rumors, I believe that Sting has made a stupid decision.

Personally, I think fear factored into his decision more than anything. Fear of entering a completely new company, fear of working with completely new opponents, and fear of maybe not feeling up to the challenge.

He owes the fans more than we owe him. He should be in the major leagues.

I don't think he 'owes' me anything. He needs to do what he feels makes him happiest, like we all do.

I just personally feel that he made the wrong decision and I think current events bear that out.

What bothers me is him actually saying he is 'happy with his decision'. It sure didn't look like it when he was agreeing with the booing crowd a few weeks ago after a disgrace of a match against a drug addict.

Please.

This is as far from reality as you can get.

'buried every major WCW superstar'?!?!?! Really?

Maybe we should see what Chris Jericho thinks?

Or how about the Big Show?

Too bad Eddie Guererro and Chris Benoit weren't still with us, as I wonder how they'd feel about their mistreatment?

How about Rey Mysterio? He must be miserable being so mistreated fo all these years.

And Nash and Booker T have to be so happy that they escaped WWE, huh?
-Jericho had very short title reigns and was mostly regulated to a midcarder. Not seriously considered as a main eventer.

-Big Show? More like "Freak Show" for most of his WWE tenure. He wasn't really a dominant force like he was in WCW. He's joking around with Santino? Are you kidding me?

-Eddie was scapegoated for SD's poor ratings and his title reign was cut short. Benoit was soon buried to the midcard after his run and never got back to the main event scene, even when he was one of the most over guys in the whole company.

-Rey I'll give you(but that's because of Eddie). No opinion on Nash.

-Booker T was never a World champ under that gimmick. He was "King Booker", which reeks of a Vince gimmick, not a WCW gimmick. He soon was buried by HHH at Summerslam.

-Stone Cold was never a major WCW star.

You fail to mention DDP. So yes, with the exception of Rey(?), WCW's major stars were to an extent buried.

Some of you are proving that the IWC is a bunch of idiots with you're complaining about WCW stars being buried by Vince, and Marv appears to be the king of the smarks. Do any of you know what it is to actually be buried? It's to be relegated to putting over talent without receiving any major storyline or feud until you fade into obscurity. I will now proceed to show you why you were wrong.

-Jericho had very short title reigns and was mostly regulated to a midcarder. Not seriously considered as a main eventer.

1) You can be a midcarder without being buried. 2) Jericho was never... EEEEVEERRR (getit?) as big a star in WCW as he was in WWE and C) A fellow Canadian who was a WWE talent through and through also had short title reigns... Edge.

Jericho has been the WWE poster boy of consistency and has been rewarded by remaining one of the WWE's top wrestlers every year he has been with the company.

Jericho= Never buried.

-Big Show? More like "Freak Show" for most of his WWE tenure. He wasn't really a dominant force like he was in WCW. He's joking around with Santino? Are you kidding me?

Multiple time tag champ, world champion, has had feuds with guys like The Undertaker, John Cena, and Edge, has been booked as dominant his entire tenure with the WWE... not seeing where he was ever buried.

As for his joking around with Santino now... he's at the end of his career, and Big Show's character has been more kid-friendly ever since his face turn. As opposed to the angry monster he's now a gentle giant. Just because you don't think his gimmick is good doesn't mean he's buried.

Big Show= Never buried.

-Eddie was scapegoated for SD's poor ratings and his title reign was cut short. Benoit was soon buried to the midcard after his run and never got back to the main event scene, even when he was one of the most over guys in the whole company.

Eddie was featured on the card for years before he cracked the main event scene, and he managed to have a pretty good run there. It doesn't matter if they blamed him for the Smackdown ratings or cut his title run short, he still played a huge role in the WWE and it was rumored that he was going to win the title the week after he died.

You act as if being on the midcard or, in Eddie and Benoit's case, upper midcard, is some sort of travesty. Wrong wrong wrong. There are guys who went their entire careers on the midcard and they remain legends to this day.

Eddie and Benoit= Literally buried, but never buried in wrestling.

-Rey I'll give you(but that's because of Eddie). No opinion on Nash.

Nash probably would have made his way into the main event had he stuck around long enough.

-Booker T was never a World champ under that gimmick. He was "King Booker", which reeks of a Vince gimmick, not a WCW gimmick. He soon was buried by HHH at Summerslam.

Do you see how nitpicky you are? Just because he was using a weird gimmick doesn't mean it wasn't Robert Huffman winning the title. You're ridiculous.

Booker T= So not buried it's laughable.

-Stone Cold was never a major WCW star.

Neither was Benoit, Guerrero, or Jericho.

You fail to mention DDP. So yes, with the exception of Rey(?), WCW's major stars were to an extent buried.

You need to touch up on your history buddy, half the guys in this discussion were never major stars with WCW. Furthermore, none of them were actually buried, so you also need to touch up on your wrestling lingo. After you do your studying come on back and we'll have a real discussion.

All that said, I find myself reluctantly agreeing with Angry Cena Fan. I would love to see Sting wrestle The Undertaker at Wrestlemania, but I completely understand Sting not signing on with Vince and WWE. We don't know all the reasons behind Sting's refusal to work for McMahon, but I applaud him for sticking to his guns. Integrity is a very rare quality, especially in professional wrestling, but Sting seems to have plenty of it.

See I question Stings integrity because, honestly, for years the excuse as to why he wasn't going to WWE was because of their morally questionably content. If that was the reason then, honestly, absolutely no arguments. However, to now be plying his trade in TNA which, honestly, is the more morally questionable promotion (storyline wise, backstage it's 50/50) rather then the kid friendly WWE is, to me, stupid. Then to change your tune and say it's because of how Vince treated the former WCW guys....bollocks! Sting didn't seem to care too much about making them look crap when he was there at the end of WCW so why should he worry how Vince treated them.

Besides, anything WWE has ever released involving Sting speaks of him in the highest regards. Yeah he'd lose to Taker at Mania but, he'd def be in the HOF, get a legends deal and the pop when he turned up would've been great.

Honestly, I think it was more of a case of "HBK's gonna be the main HOF name, Rock's coming back for mania. I'm not coming in to be overshadowed"

1) You can be a midcarder without being buried. 2) Jericho was never... EEEEVEERRR (getit?) as big a star in WCW as he was in WWE and C) A fellow Canadian who was a WWE talent through and through also had short title reigns... Edge.
Edge unlike Jericho, has multiple title reigns(even if he was viewed as a transitional champ like Y2J was).

You act as if being on the midcard or, in Eddie and Benoit's case, upper midcard, is some sort of travesty. Wrong wrong wrong.
When you're over with the fans, have excellent ring-work unlike some folks(JBL. Batista, etc.) and constantly bust your ass like these two did, it is wrong to only be subjected as a midcarder.

Neither was Benoit, Guerrero, or Jericho.
Compared to Austin hell yes they were. Benoit got his push to the world title, and while Jericho and Eddie didn't, they were involved in better angles and gotten more tv time than Austin ever did.

Is buried a strong word? Okay, yes. More like misused. And for that I don't blame Sting too much because Vince would find a way to screw it all up.

Edge unlike Jericho, has multiple title reigns(even if he was viewed as a transitional champ like Y2J was).

When you're over with the fans, have excellent ring-work unlike some folks(JBL. Batista, etc.) and constantly bust your ass like these two did, it is wrong to only be subjected as a midcarder.

Compared to Austin hell yes they were. Benoit got his push to the world title, and while Jericho and Eddie didn't, they were involved in better angles and gotten more tv time than Austin ever did.

Is buried a strong word? Okay, yes. More like misused. And for that I don't blame Sting too much because Vince would find a way to screw it all up.

You should spend some time doing research before you comment.

Look up what the guys you mentioned accomplished in WCW, and then look up what they accomplished in WWE.

Then come back and we can talk about it.

Uh, what? Jericho is a multiple time champ too. He was the first undisputed champ, three time world heavyweight champ, and won the WCW at No Mercy 2001.

You just said Batista wasn't over with the fans. You have lost all credibility.

Jericho and Eddie almost never got the respect they deserved from WCW management and spent most of their time in card opening matches. They accomplished more in the WWE than they ever would have in WCW and to say otherwise is nothing short of completely moronic.

Misused to you maybe, many others would argue they were used perfectly. Many think Guerrero should have been a career midcarder, and Jericho, while immensely talented, is not the type of guy you build the top of your card around.

At least it's confirmed now that there was discussions about it from Sting himself. One of those quotes above though got my attention and it was:

"It's a dream match that fans would want to see. It was close. I'm glad things turned out the way they did."

Now maybe Sting will never go to the WWE but who knows, maybe he will have a change of mind and perhaps there will be something for the future. Without knowing all the details it's hard to say what the proposal was but if you're Sting and the offer is come in for a big match and lose your debut on the biggest stage of all it would be tough to accept maybe. Just because he loses though he wouldn't be buried.

Just for fun though, let's say Vince goes back to Sting and proposes that he debuts at let's say Summer Slam (or Survivor Series) and he has a nice feud with some talent and after getting established they gear up for a Wrestlemania match next year where Undertaker wins to go to 20-0, he retires, and then Sting goes into another high profile feud with someone before retiring and going into the Hall of Fame. From what it seems maybe years ago Vince may have buried Sting but if you are going to pay a guy a lot of money you want a return on that investment and as everyone has said, Vince isn't stupid.

As a WWE mark, I will state that I don't mind Sting's decision. If he doesn't want to work for a company that drove his company for 15 years out of business I am fine. He is a great entertainer and man. I have all the respect in the world for Sting for being able to work for WWE but not actually doing it.

Hold on a dicky di do Sting. You had the opportunity to wrestle one time at a Wrestlemania against, in my opinion, the best wrestler/mic man I have seen and yeah lose the match, but what a match eh son, what a blinding match!! And you go on to a 2 bob organisation to wrestle a pilled-up wrestler, someone that organisation has as its talisman, it's figure head and what a match eh son, what a blinding match...but not for the right reasons.

Fans would have remembered your match with The Undertaker for all the right reasons. Now, fans are trying to forget your match with Jeff Hardy.

Well done son.

I guess people didn't read the part where he didn't like how WWE treated former WCW stars. Seriously, except for like Rey Mysterio and Booker T, who else from WCW had a good rub in WWE? I guess Steiner did as well, but it wasn't too great.

I think Sting has a right to be so worried with stuff like that. I mean he's the one who has to worry about a character that he built for years being ruined at the drop of a dime thanks to Vince. Plus, after Taker vs. Sting, what else would there be? Sting vs. HHH? Sting vs. Cena?

I guess people didn't read the part where he didn't like how WWE treated former WCW stars. Seriously, except for like Rey Mysterio and Booker T, who else from WCW had a good rub in WWE? I guess Steiner did as well, but it wasn't too great.

I think Sting has a right to be so worried with stuff like that. I mean he's the one who has to worry about a character that he built for years being ruined at the drop of a dime thanks to Vince. Plus, after Taker vs. Sting, what else would there be? Sting vs. HHH? Sting vs. Cena?
Triple H, Austin, Pillman, Undertaker, Benoit, Guerrero, Flair, Jericho etc. MANY WCW guys got over in WWE/F. Sting is just using that as an excuse.

Vince values money over everything else. He would never bury the Sting character because he will make money off of it. The shirts and DVDs alone would sell like crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back