• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sting on WWE Offer: "I turned it down for the same reasons I always have,"

Sting is a smart man, WWE would find a way to make his career seem insignificant vs WWE guys. Vince showed how clueless he is when he bought WCW for a paltry 2 million, but wouldn't pay the money to bring in WCW's biggest stars during the "invasion", a wrestling fans dream was ruined by Vince McMahon and his stooges and they can all rot in hell for that

Look, folks, I don't have the patience to sit here and point-by-point this with you all back-and-forth individually, so I'm just going to say this one more time so my point is clear.

1. Sting built his name in WCW, not WWE. The idea of him coming to WWE to wrestle is iconic as he's the only major name left who's yet to step into their ring. That said, I can't think of a worse scenario (OK, I can, but I'm trying to make a statement here) than him debuting on the grandest stage of them all only to lose like so many WCW guys before him did. You may disagree, but that doesn't make me wrong — it means we don't agree. We're discussing opinion here, not fact.

2. As I noted, Sting built his name in WCW, which means the "WWE" Hall-of-Fame is irrelevant to him regardless of whether Daddy Warbucks just so happened to buy the library of the company where he grew into the superstar he is. The fact that the HOF inductions are "WCW themed" is just as irrelevant, as it's still the WWE Hall-of-Fame, not the wrestling Hall-of-Fame, so it's still marginalizing the impact he had in WCW IMO, period. Again, opinion, not fact.

3. Whether you choose to agree with our decisions or not, there are a number of us who grew up watching WCW and not WWE/F, and to us a guy like Sting is a legend regardless of whether he's stepped foot in a WWE ring. One day you'll realize that just because you didn't wrestle for the biggest company in the world does not mean your career was worth nothing, and a wrestler can (and has, as Sting has now proven) still be a world-wide SUPERSTAR despite never having been cut a check with the WWE logo in the corner.

He stays with TNA because he wants to maintain his credibility?

Just think about that for a couple of minutes.

The guy works for TNA! If he wanted to keep his credibility of self respect he'd have gotten the hell the hell out of there a long time ago. He chooses TNA over WWE for those reasons? I thought this guy was supposed to be smart

Wow... what morons there are in here. Of course he would lose to Taker at Mania. So what? Everyone does, but getting paid millions to be in what would undoubtably be the main event at the biggest wrestling event ever is getting buried? Idiots.

Wow... what morons there are in here. Of course he would lose to Taker at Mania. So what? Everyone does, but getting paid millions to be in what would undoubtably be the main event at the biggest wrestling event ever is getting buried? Idiots.

He wasn't talking about Wrestlemania only. Screw that, he loses there, big deal. That's nothing. But what happens afterwards, if WWE keeps him?

Will Sting be treated like the Icon and Legend that he truly is? Will he be treated like a Shawn Michaels or a Ric Flair? If the answer is no then Sting is smart not to go there.

And it is no. WWE is in the middle of a youth movement. They won't give the belt to a 52 years old Sting who's got about a year, year and a half left in him. So why go there? For the money? Don't you realize that Sting couldn't give a flying fuck about money? I bet he's getting paid pretty good in TNA. He's not a greedy piece of shit like McMahon. If he needed McMahon's money he would've worked for him all those years ago. Not now. Too late for that.

Sting made his money, he had his career, he had his shining moments and he did everything he ever wanted to do. Now he's helping a growing company like TNA, instead of being just another attraction in WWE, having his great character chewed up and spat out, just like everything else WWE does.

Sting is not sure how WWE will handle him and I think that scares him. Vince is out to make the BIG money and putting Sting in the Match at WM would be the last piece Stings Carrier is missing.

Having Sting be the one to step up and break the Undertakers Streak would make him trully an Icon, Immortal and someone no one could forget.

Sting needs to understand his worth and he is worth being a spotlight at the biggest event in Wrestling. Sorry but TNA's biggest events does nothing near what Wrestlmania does. Sorry but Sting needs to finish his carrier in WWE to cement his legacy just like Hogan will in the end.

I find it rather fascinating the people whose comments are wholly anti WWE completely ignore the arguments that destroy their position.

You can have whatever opinion you want about Sting, and he can work wherever he wants for whatever reason, but the fact is this:

Losing to UT at WM is not a burial. Please stop trying to assume it is. HBK, HHH, Flair, Orton, Batista and many other long established talents have lost to him at WM. To get the chance to wrestle him in the main event at WM is something I'm sure a lot of the young guys would love to have to get that exposure. The streak is something that's been allowed to continue largely because of the very dedication and respect the WWE has for UT because he's been loyal to the company for 20 years. Ironic that people try to argue against the streak and Sting losing based on that alone.

I hated how the Invasion angle ended as much as anyone. I loved performers from both WCW and ECW. But Sting is not just a guy on the rise like many of the performers then, and certainly isn't one now. He's a legend and an icon and until you give me actual proof that the WWE is actually treating him as anything but that I'm going to have to say this is just holding on to a grudge. Like it or not Vince didn't kill WCW, and if you're going to continue weighing that over the company despite everything that's happened since, then reasoning with you is completely pointless. And I hate a pointless conversation.

As I've said, it's Sting's career, not ours. All we're doing is speculating. But stop assuming you know more than the WWE or TNA in regards to why he's doing what he's doing.

Look, folks, I don't have the patience to sit here and point-by-point this with you all back-and-forth individually, so I'm just going to say this one more time so my point is clear.

1. Sting built his name in WCW, not WWE. The idea of him coming to WWE to wrestle is iconic as he's the only major name left who's yet to step into their ring. That said, I can't think of a worse scenario (OK, I can, but I'm trying to make a statement here) than him debuting on the grandest stage of them all only to lose like so many WCW guys before him did. You may disagree, but that doesn't make me wrong — it means we don't agree. We're discussing opinion here, not fact.

2. As I noted, Sting built his name in WCW, which means the "WWE" Hall-of-Fame is irrelevant to him regardless of whether Daddy Warbucks just so happened to buy the library of the company where he grew into the superstar he is. The fact that the HOF inductions are "WCW themed" is just as irrelevant, as it's still the WWE Hall-of-Fame, not the wrestling Hall-of-Fame, so it's still marginalizing the impact he had in WCW IMO, period. Again, opinion, not fact.

I totally agree with you on point #2. Sting has no business being anywhere near the WWE Hall of Fame. Regardless of the reasons for it, the man has never competed a single match in the WWE and as such has no place in the WWE Hall of Fame, regardless of the fact that "Daddy Warbucks" owns the rights to everything WCW, and regardless of whatever precedent has been established by other guys entering the WWE Hall of Fame having not participated there.

Still have to disagree with point #1 though. There are worse fates than debuting in the WWE on the grandest stage of them all, against the undefeated Phenom at Wrestlemania, even if it is in defeat. "Like so many WCW guys before him". Really, just two guys, neither one of which holds a candle to the icon.

I can only speak for myself, and it is not for me to suggest that anyone else's opinions are wrong, but if I had a choice between going to Wrestlemania and facing the Undertaker and losing, or squashing a stoned Jeff Hardy, or having a triple threat with RVD and Ken freaking' Anderson, the choice really would not be that difficult. Unless I felt I wasn't worthy of all of the hype and was unable to live up to the expectations of the rabid fans of the world of professional wrestling ;)

I personally don't like Sting anymore. I find his work sad and pathetic, he never really made a great match in TNA... ever. His match with AJ was pretty good though.

Back on topic, I'm glad Sting didn't sign with WWE, he wouldn't have made a great match with Undertaker. HHH on the other hand isn't too old or torn up. Agreed, he came out of an injury, but there's a reason why he came out of that injury.

I really wish TNA didn't hire him back, the man is too old and barely anybody enjoys him. TNA should focus on their younger guys, but we wall know that wont happen.

Anyway, I don't care that Sting said no to WWE's offer, thank god he refused. And I don't appreciate him going to TNA, and taking away young guys' spots. Not that there are many young guys in the first place...

It almost seems to me that Sting is using the whole "WWE buries WCW guys" as a strawman. While I can agree that guys like DDP were buried, I feel the need to point out that guys like DDP should have never been main eventing in the first place.

Another thing to point out is that the only time WCW guys were mistreated and buried was in the Invasion angle, afterwards they were fair to Booker T, Rey Mysterio is one of the top guys in the company and before the Invasion angle we have guys like Jericho, Benoit, and Eddie Guerrero who were treated much better in WWE than they ever were in WCW. Either Sting has some massive tunnel vision or he's talking out of his ass.

When it comes down to it there's no reason not to go to WWE. They can give him a limited schedule, and when he's done he gets a HoF induction and is set for life with a legends deal. What the hell can TNA do for him? Make him an agent, so he can finish out his career with the likes of Al Snow and D-Lo Brown?

And while I can see not wanting to job out to The Undertaker, that's the match we all assumed would happen, there's nothing saying that's who he'd have to face. I'd much rather see him feud with CM Punk.

When it comes down to it, I think Sting is scared. I'm not bashing on him, going to a new place can be intimidating, and I think he just wants to be a big fish in a small pond. I really hope he gets over that one day, as there's a lot of feuds I'd like to see him in, and I would love for him to go out with a bang like he deserves, as opposed to fading away into mediocrity, which is all TNA can offer.

He stays with TNA because he wants to maintain his credibility?

Just think about that for a couple of minutes.

The guy works for TNA! If he wanted to keep his credibility of self respect he'd have gotten the hell the hell out of there a long time ago. He chooses TNA over WWE for those reasons? I thought this guy was supposed to be smart

Oh, but you're smart, right? You're inside his head, right? You know what's going on from his perspective, right? What the hell do you know? Maybe it does sound a bit ridiculous that he doesn't want to join WWE over fear of being mistreated. But then again, he's earned that respect. WWE has never been painted pretty when it comes to cutting deals or their treatment of some of their talent. Stories have been told and in Sting's eyes, they haven't been pretty. If he doesn't want to join. Perfect. OK. They don't need him and he clearly never needed them. But you obviously are wiser than the 20 year vet. Please, continue to flatter us with your brilliance and shed light on Sting's ignorance.

What needs to be remembered here is we all have different tastes and some of us don't or never will like WWE. The only people who call the Undertaker vs Sting a dream match are people who like WWE. The only people that the WWE HoF are relevant to are WWE fans. WCW fans saw it differently because guys we saw as relevant were treated poorly. WWE/F fans saw it differently because guys you saw as relevant were put over it's just the way it is. And most of the guys that you list as WCW guys whom did well in WWE are guys who defected to WWE before the WCW closed it's doors and was sold. Most of the guys after that we saw as being treated poorly.

Wow a lot of hostility here. It doesn't really matter what we think (no pun intended), Sting has made his decision. But there are a few things i also agree/disagree with.

1. Some have made the point that he doesn't belong in the WWE HOF as he hasn't wrestled/worked for the company, last i checked neither did Abdullah The Butcher, Verne Gagne, The Von Erichs etc (that i know of) As much as the WWE HOF can be a bit of a joke with some inductees, Its celebrity wing being a good example, the WWE HOF does recognize accomplishment's across all wrestling to some degree, so Sting most definitely belongs, and wouldn't be out of place being inducted at all.

2. It is in some ways common knowledge that WWE has 'buried' a lot of the former WCW talent it acquired, to a degree, i disagree with it being that way as a whole, i think it was more WWE weeding out the weak from the strong, even Sting himself said in that interview years ago, Booker T was smart enough to get past it and go on to have success, which he did.

Look at some of the names from WCW who did make it: Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Goldberg (yes it wasn't his best run, but it wasn't bad), Ric Flair, DDP (some don't agree, but he left on his own terms in the end, but i didn't mind the Positively Page character, it was essentially an extension of DDP's real life passion for Yoga), Big Show, Booker T, Arn Anderson (hasn't wrestled as much but highly thought of behind the scenes), Dean Malenko (same as Arn), Stunning Steve Austin (One of the biggest Stars ever), Mean Mark Calloway (some guy named the Undertaker with an impressive Wrestling resume), Shane Helms (his own backstage behavior is why he isn't there now, to a degree), Cactus Jack (again another big name who went on to great things), Rey Mysterio, Ron Simmons, Teddy Long, Eric Bischoff , Fit Finlay (well not at the moment), The Shockmaster (joking), possibly many more i may have missed, but correct me if i'm wrong, all these guys started out wrestling for other companies before ever going to WWF/WWE, and look at their success, sure it wasn't a smooth transition for all, but again they were the strong ones and made it work in the end. I don't agree with Sting's assumption that all the WWE does is bury talent (while true in some cases) i feel they give u an opportunity, give you the ball, and if you can't handle it or ain't going no where then what can they do. And let's be honest a lot of the other guy's who came over from WCW during the invasion, how many of them were really going to make it in all honesty? Shawn Stasiak? Shannon Moore? (yes i realize he ain't a bad wrestler, but seriously when has he ever been over? he doesn't really have IT), The Cat Ernest Miller? (good in small doses for comedy situations), Buff Bagwell (do i even have to say why). They could have if they truly wanted too, but some just left, some just couldn't handle it.

There are some though that admittedly weren't given more of a chance, Kanyon, Lance Storm (who had a good run anyway, and Rock put him over), Jaime Noble (again some success), Billy Kidman, Perry Saturn, Scott Steiner (though he was pushed hard at the beginning, he just couldn't seem to carry it long term) but at the same time it is up to the Individual to push past and succeed in the end.

But looking at that a lot more that come from WCW, made it more often then not, so i disagree with Sting always saying that WCW talent got buried.

3. While it was Sting's decision to stay in TNA, and i appreciate his loyalty (i don't see why personally, I'm not a TNA hater, and have tried to give the company a chance, but let's be honest there track record isn't that great, and the recent Jeff Hardy situation, sure he isn't being shown on TV now, but he shouldn't have gone out to the ring in the first place, but that's another story). I don't understand how Sting would feel WWE would miss-use him. Vince is a smart guy, he doesn't realize the History Sting has had on Wrestling, how big of an Icon he is, HHH has said in interviews as have a lot of WWE guys that Sting is an icon they respect him, he is an Icon, and one of the few WCW guys they want on board, i just don't see how Sting would not see that. Sting in WWE would be huge, and i'm confident WWE would use him to the best of their ability. I don;t see WWE bringing him in and making him into the next Eugene, or Santino type character, i'm sure he would be the Sting we all know and love, but with certain tweaks which are necessary in a new environment.

Again its Sting's choice we don't know what he is thinking personally, but at his stage in his career accomplishing what he has, as anyone would, wouldn't you want to go out on TOP? WWE HOF, a match at WM against Taker (one of the greatest of all time), that doesn't sound like burial to me, that would be an honor. Taker is a professional, No WAY would he bury Sting. Sure Sting would most likely lose the WM match, due to Taker's Streak, but is that so bad? He would look great and have a classic with Taker and he couldn't win the re-match at the following PPV, it's just me but the "Burial" logic Sting seems to have towards WWE is an excuse a bit.
Sting has to want it, and i basically think it comes down to that he doesn't want it, (self esteem issues, the big fish in a small pond theory, who knows),
but i don't buy the constant feeling he won't be used correctly, sure there would be some differences but Sting would have to surely get some creative control, WWE isn't that stupid when it comes to already established guys, i use Goldberg as an example, he wasn't exactly the same as he was in WCW but lets be honest some changes were necessary as WWE isn't WCW, and while the Goldberg run isn't considered a big success, i feel it was, (except the whole vs Brock Lesnar at WM) Goldberg had a decent run in WWE, his character remained mostly intact, he won the belt, had some decent matches with Rock, Jericho, the Elimination Chamber, HHH. Same as Booker T, so Rock asked who he was when he got there, big whoop that's the Rock's Character, it was The Rock being The Rock, if Booker was really getting buried he wouldn't have won belts, his matches with Rock and other's wouldn't have been good, the supermarket thing with Austin was great. Sure he was made to look sort of weak at times but he overcame. Had more success in WWE then he did in TNA. Anyway i'm rambling a bit, but yeah i don't get the IWC saying these guys didn't have any success in WWE when they clearly have, i'm not fully supporting WWE on all decisions though, like any company they make mistakes, but look at facts before saying guys like DDP were buried ( his run was also decent, and he obviously had input to his Positively Page run, as it was based on his real life), or guys like Booker T were buried. Buff Bagwell was buried, Booker T wasn't. But as stated the WWE burying everyone argument is weak and old from Sting. Especially when TNA is burying/or making just another guy on the roster guys like nothing, Matt Hardy, Ric Flair, RVD etc (but again that's another argument).

I'm just hoping Sting gives WWE a shot, he deserves the Big stage, wrestling in front of 70,000, not 200 - 1000, even if he is one of those guys who likes the small stuff, at least give it one run, a part time schedule etc, would it really be that bad? I don't think so.

He would have definitely lost to Undertaker at Wrestlemania, there's no doubt about that. Many stars have lost to Undertaker at a Wrestlemania and came out of the match looking great. I'm sure Sting would have had a great match with him as well and still looked the Icon he is. I doubt he would be buried if he did join WWE, I'm sure he was only offered a short term deal. I don't see WWE hiring a fifty two year old to a full time deal.

He would have made a few appearances on Raw and or Smackdown to build the match. Were he would have been built as a worthy opponent for the Undertaker. Then he would have been inducted to the Hall of Fame were he would be shown as a true icon in the wrestling business to the the fans that aren't familiar with him. Then who knows he probably would have a rematch with Undertaker. That he would win, I'm sure the WWE would agree to that just to have him at Wrestlemania.

I wouldn't have mind to see him come to WWE, but I'm not going to bash him like many WWE fans are doing. Only Sting knows whats best for Sting. If he'd rather stay in TNA then more power to him. I respect the fact that he's loyal to TNA. However I think his reasons for not going to WWE are pretty lame. He pretty much shit on a lot of his fans acknowledged it's a dream match the fans want to see. But he wont give it to the fans because he's afraid of how he would be used.

For years he said he wouldn't go to WWE because of his religious beliefs. Now that WWE is PG and TNA is way more adult orientated. He can't use that excuse anymore. So he finally admits he's afraid of how he'll be used. He knows he could go back to TNA and do what ever he wants like he did in WCW. Now he's he fifty two and the World champion taking a spot a younger guy should have. The ratings were slightly going up when Anderson was champion. Now there slightly going down with him as champion.

He could have gone to WWE short term wrestled Undertaker in front of more people than he's ever been in front of. Gained some more recognition to his legendary career and get a huge payday. Then go back to TNA for the rest of his career, but he's to scared. A lot of former WCW stars have become huge stars in WWE. Guys like Jericho, Guerrero, Benoit, and Booker T became bigger stars in WWE than they were in WCW.

Of course the former WCW guys had to pay their dues first in WWE before becoming major stars. Goldberg became the World champion less than six months of being in WWE. He didn't stay long because he didn't want to he wasn't misused. They weren't going to invest much time on someone that wasn't staying. Some guys like Steiner, DDP, Hall, and Nash didn't have great runs. Mainly because of their age or attitude in Halls case. Steiner was brought in and immediately put in a main event feud with the HHH who was the World Champion. He wasn't in good shape at the time and wasn't getting great reaction from the fans.

at the end of the day its all about money.. but people say the rock is a sell out for leaving to hollywood and not returning to wrestling, i think sting is a selfish person himself for not going to wwe which millions and millions of fans want to see but he rather go to TNA and wrestle in the impact zone with 200 ppl in the crowd and recycle wcw storylines from 98:banghead::banghead:

What...the...fuck?

Selfish for helping further an up and comming company?

Selfish because he would rather spend more time with his kids on a limited schedule than bust his nuts for WWE when he knows hes going to job to Undertaker?

I dont think there is any reason for Sting to wrestle for the WWE. The man is already a legend. He is at an age now where if he was to go to the WWE he wouldnt be used other than to have a fued with Taker.

The young fans wont have any idea who he is or the significance of him being there.

He has nothing to prove to the WWE audience, when he retires for good, I am sure he will be offered and probably accept a legends contract if only to have his DVDs and such.

. However I think his reasons for not going to WWE are pretty lame. He pretty much shit on a lot of his fans acknowledged it's a dream match the fans want to see. But he wont give it to the fans because he's afraid of how he would be used.

For years he said he wouldn't go to WWE because of his religious beliefs. Now that WWE is PG and TNA is way more adult orientated. He can't use that excuse anymore. So he finally admits he's afraid of how he'll be used. .

From day one he said he didnt trust the way he would be used. He cited many examples such as Booker, being buried. As he has said on many occasions, in many interviews, why would he go only to be one more WCW star that Vince can kill.

I do think however, enough time has passed that the "civil war" mentality has gone but still...he would be brought back for one purpose, and thats to lose to the Undertaker.

It's getting pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Everyone here knows damn well that Sting could have ANY schedule he'd want to have in the WWE. With him, WWE would make a killing. All of this "the younger fans won't know who he is"; Look at The Rock. Everyone remembers these guys, even the younger crowd does. And who cares if they don't? The younger crowd doesn't pay for the f***ing tickets.

I'm pretty sure Sting has a lot left in his body to offer than we might think. I gaurantee we'll see him in a WWE ring before he retires. You would have to be autistic to turn down that opportunity at the point Sting would be in his life.

There's too much money to be made off of Sting for Vince to screw around with him, and everyone knows that. I honestly think Sting is just holding out a little bit longer, and I think that's the smartest way to play it.

I'm sorry. I haven't read every post in this thread, so I hope this hasn't already been said.

I thought the reason Sting never signed with WWE was not only because of the fear of him being buried, but because since he's a strict christian, he didn't agree with the TV-14/MA rating the WWE had at the time with the profanity, violence and sexual innuendo. But Sting is currently with TNA, which has a TV-14 rating and WWE is now PG and a lot more toned down than from back in the day and more toned down than TNA.

So even though he's the TNA champ, why would he compromise his religious views about the TV-14 rating and stay with TNA, even though that's one of the reasons he never signed with WWE....?

All due respect to Sting and what he's done in wrestling, but the man seems like a hypocrite. "I'm not going to sign with WWE because of the TV-14 rating and all the sexuality and profanity, but I'll sign with TNA even though they are doing the same thing..."....

Doesn't make sense to me.

For years he said he wouldn't go to WWE because of his religious beliefs. Now that WWE is PG and TNA is way more adult orientated. He can't use that excuse anymore.

Exactly right. Sorry if my post said the same thing.

Also.. He said he can't trust McMahon....?

How can you trust Russo, Bishoff and Hogan, when they were the ones to run WCW into the ground and are about to do the same to TNA....?

HYPOCRITE!

It's a shame Sting vs The Undertaker could've been great. Heck Sting could've done just a year with the WWE of dream matches.

I'm sorry. I haven't read every post in this thread, so I hope this hasn't already been said.

I thought the reason Sting never signed with WWE was not only because of the fear of him being buried, but because since he's a strict christian, he didn't agree with the TV-14/MA rating the WWE had at the time with the profanity, violence and sexual innuendo. But Sting is currently with TNA, which has a TV-14 rating and WWE is now PG and a lot more toned down than from back in the day and more toned down than TNA.

So even though he's the TNA champ, why would he compromise his religious views about the TV-14 rating and stay with TNA, even though that's one of the reasons he never signed with WWE....?

All due respect to Sting and what he's done in wrestling, but the man seems like a hypocrite. "I'm not going to sign with WWE because of the TV-14 rating and all the sexuality and profanity, but I'll sign with TNA even though they are doing the same thing..."....

Doesn't make sense to me.
One final time. Sting gave his reasons in a video on You Tube back in 2004. He never stated in it that it was because of the TV-14 rating, he said it was because he didn't trust the way they would use his character due to what he saw as WWE burying his friends from WCW and specifically named Rock and Booker T's incident.

Link to the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktxW0vidElE

The following paragraph isn't directed at Grishnak but at others in this thread.

Funny how IWC WWE fans think they know more about a wrestlers character then someone whose lived the life of a wrestler for years. You guys may not have seen it as burying talent but the WCW fans and Sting did. Once again as a WWE fan you guys see things differently then those of us whom have never liked WWE.

(Wonder if I will get another PM from a WWF calling me names again because said I don't like WWE again).

From day one he said he didnt trust the way he would be used. He cited many examples such as Booker, being buried. As he has said on many occasions, in many interviews, why would he go only to be one more WCW star that Vince can kill.

I do think however, enough time has passed that the "civil war" mentality has gone but still...he would be brought back for one purpose, and thats to lose to the Undertaker.

OK he said he didn't trust how he would be used before. It doesn't make him less of a hypocrite for also saying it was because of his religious beliefs. TNA has a guy saying asshole over and over born again Christians don't like profanity. They also have a guy calling himself the Pope, doing bits mocking religion.

Like I said before in my original post I really doubt the WWE would bury him. Getting put in the Hall of Fame isn't getting buried. Losing to one of the biggest stars in the history of pro wrestling the Undertaker at Wrestlemania isn't being buried. Chances are he would have enough leverage for doing Wrestlemania to win a rematch. The WWE doesn't need him long term. They probably offered him a short term deal maybe a match or two. They wouldn't bury him that would make Undertaker beating him look like no big deal.

How the hell did Booker get buried? He came in and feuded with Austin, Angle, and The Rock. The three biggest stars in the company. He then went on to win almost every title in the WWE. Just because he didn't win the WWE title right away doesn't mean he was buried.

It's sad that Sting won't be going to WWE, because he could have had some great matches there. That being said, the time when it would have been great to see him there is long past. He's a lot older and the performers he would have to work with there aren't as great as they would have been had he gone during the Attitude era.

I respect him for not going and I agree with him. The egos of the people calling the shots there, wouldn't do anything but make him jump through hoops and put him through a lot of bullshit. There isn't a single WCW star, I can think of who didn't encounter some kind of political crap in the company and even some of their own homegrown talent have been treated like shit. This is what happens when the company has no loyalty to its workers and has no control of the bullshit politics. I think Sting made the right decision, and stayed where he was appreciated and is allowed some creative input.

a lot of fans have seen the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktxW0vidElE

a few things about this, i don't recall the situation he is talking about with Rock and Booker T, throwing guys out of the ring and such, and then they come back to back and turn around and Rock asks "Who are you", i swear this didn't happen. There was a promo plain and simple, In fact here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roRpgbV3szE

(note i'm not sure where part 2 is)

a) there was no throwing people over the ropes, so i'm not sure what promo Sting is on a bout, and b) as i recall, after the Rock did the whole "Who in The Blue Hell.." line, he did go on to say something similar to: "oh the Rock knows who you are Booker T, and got him for using the Bookend etc, which then continued on to advance their feud, and putting Booker over in the process. (I have it on Tape somewhere and will track it down if i have too).

The whole Who Are You line is The Rock being the Rock, did he bury Booker T? No, they went on to have a great feud as i recall, so i don't see how Booker got "buried" as Sting put it. And in my earlier post i admitted some talents were buried, but it was basically the weak from the strong. Don't get me wrong i'm a big Sting Fan, and watch all wrestling that i can WWE, TNA etc, but i just think its a bit of a weak excuse, especially when Sting himself in that interview says the Big names, the guys who were in WCW for years didn't go over straight away, he then says:

"Guys like Hogan, Me, Luger ( the big names basically) but who he had left were the guys that dwindled down to a small group of guys, who really... (hesitates, throws in)...Great wrestlers, phenomenal talents, but they weren't with WCW for all these years, Main Stay kinda names you know..and all that"

I'm sorry, as much as i like Sting he was basically burying all the mid carders that Vince did get during that whole Invasion Angle. Again i understand what he was saying, the invasion wasn't as good with out the big names, and we all know why the big names didn't go over straight away cause they were still getting paid to sit at home basically (and good on 'em i'd have done the same), But in the same sentence he kinda buried his own guys, and had to throw in the "great talent" line. and his Main Stay Kinda Names line, is basically saying these other guys who went across people didn't know...correct me if I'm wrong but that's kinda of burying in itself.

To be honest with i knew some of the mid-carders who went over during the Invasion, those i didn't i only knew when WWE did try to do something with them, whether or not they succeeded is dependent on a few factors, the company and the individual talents, but at least WWE tried.

Rock and Austin as well as others like Jeff hardy at the time went out of their way to put over Booker T, RVD, DDP, etc, some things worked, some didn't, most former WCW talent won titles or went onto, most had some decent feuds matches, Jeff Hardy vs RVD was awesome, as was Rock vs Booker T, and Austin vs Booker T respectively. The Invasion as a whole sucked plain and simple, without the Big names it didn't work as well as WWE had hoped, but WWE did try with what talent they had. And i'm getting a bit of track but i'm just saying WWE didn't just bring in everyone from WCW and say FUCK YOU GUYS, sure they tested em, but as i said the true guys who wanted it succeeded and have become better off for it.

WWE is known for burying some talents this is true, don't get me wrong, as is TNA, there is no perfect wrestling company, and not everything will go the way everyone individually wants it. I understand Sting not going because of his Christian beliefs and WWE being the more adult product at the time, but seriously the whole misuse, burial talk is old. And a poor excuse, and the way TNA is lately, the more adult content that Sting was against, and the Bullshit happening in that company at times, (again i still watch but I'm calling it like i see it) i like many fans wonder why he hasn't at least tried a 1 year reduced schedule run in WWE, and like it or not, a WWE HOF induction and a Taker match at WM is NOT GONNA BURY STING as some IWC fans are saying, it's quite and honor, Taker and Sting would have tried to put on a great match, no way would a professional like Taker bury a legend in the buisness like Sting just cause he was from another company, and Sting would most def win the return match.

But whatever Sting's decision, i will still watch WWE and TNA regardless, but i still feel as a fan of both there is a bit of BS going on.

The OP is either most blind WCW mark or anti-WWE guy out there. DDP was not pushed because there were many more deserving guys ahead of him during that time. How can Booker T be buried when he had a great run in the WWE. Feuding with Austin, a comedy run with Golddust as tag team partners and a King Booker run as champion is being buried? Booker T was more buried in TNA than in WWE with him being second fiddle in the MEM. Not everyone that jumped promotion can be pushed. Why was being a former WCW champion mean a certain guy have to be pushed in another promotion? Wasn't a championship just a prop to WCW during that time?

Finally regarding Sting's decision, I think it is all for the best. He should know better than most of us that his legacy as the one main event star in American wrestling to never work under the WWE banner is very valuable. Taking that away from Sting would be like taking away Taker's Wrestlemania streak. Both would still be legends but something would be lacking. Furthermore, looking at this year's Wrestlemania, Sting would have been overshadowed by the Rock's return. No matter how much of an icon Sting is, Rock is 10 times more popular and look 10 times more in shape than Sting is right now. Rock would have taken all the spotlight from Sting's appearance and blind WCW marks would cry of how WWE is burying former WCW talent again.

I don't care that some WCW guys got buried after joining WWE, nor do I care that Taker would have beaten Sting at Mania, however I do care about Stings decision to stay in TNA. For me it was the correct decision.

The reasons are that Sting can Main Event in TNA and be a legitimate top player while in WWE he would only be a mid carder after his match against Taker.

Vince would bury Sting in the WWE main event scene. Who really thinks Vince would allow Sting to beat Cena, Orton, Taker, Miz, HHH or even Edge, not me.

Sting would not be able to shine in the WWE and would only hold mid card belts at best, for that reason TNA was easily the best choice for Sting.

So while I agree Sting losing to Taker at Mania would not be a burial, I do believe Sting would never reach the heights his legend deserves. Would it be punishment for not signing earlier? Could be as it has taken 2 years for Christian to get involved in the main event scene since leaving TNA. Could it be that Vince like to put WWE guys over all others? Maybe, as apart from Rey not many WCW guys have ever had long stays at the top of WWE. Having said all that the main reason Sting's iconic status would be buried is the fact that Sting is 52 and it is too late for him to be considered a long term main eventer in the WWE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back