Second Round: San Francisco - Diamond Dallas Page vs. Batista

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Diamond Dallas Page

• Batista

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'll go ahead and use my ''I don't really care either way vote'' here since everyone has used one. Both are men are pretty even honestly as far as accomplishments. I'll go ahead and say that DDP's gross haircut loses the vote for him.

Here are the reasons as to why I'm voting for Batista over DDP:

I just don't see the DDP of 1999 going over the Batista of 2005.
^Reason one. I agree with Brain that Batista was unstoppable in 2005. He broke away from his mentors and beat Triple H at Wrestlemania for the Championship. Unfortunately, DDP is no Triple H. I believe that if these two were in their prime, Batista would prove too much for DDP. Too much power, rage and intensity. The Batista Bomb would flatten the charismatic Page. I give the checkmark to Batista in this category. DDP would have been just another victim in my opinion.

Career wise/accomplishments:

Batista
Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year (2005)
PWI Wrestler of the Year (2005)
PWI ranked him #1 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 2005

World Wrestling Entertainment
World Heavyweight Championship (4 times)
World Tag Team Championship (3 times)– with Ric Flair (2) and John Cena (1)
WWE Championship (2 times)
WWE Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Rey Mysterio
Royal Rumble (2005)

DDP
Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year (1996)
PWI ranked him # 4 of the 500 best singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 1997.
PWI Feud of the Year (1997) vs. Macho Man Randy Savage
PWI ranked him # 4 of the 500 best singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 1998.
PWI Most Hated Wrestler of the Year (1999)

World Championship Wrestling
WCW World Heavyweight Championship (3 times)
WCW United States Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
WCW World Tag Team Championship (4 times) – with Kevin Nash (2), Chris Kanyon and Bam Bam Bigelow as the Jersey Triad (2)
WCW World Television Championship (1 time)

The checkmark has to go to Batista on this one too.

I'll be supporting Batista just because he reps his filipino heritage. Is that a good reason to vote for him? Fuck no. Do I really give a fuck? No sir I do not.
^ Here's the final reason as to why I voted Batista. It's not a good reason but people are voting their favorites in, so I'll do just that here.

That's reason number 3 and the score is 3-0. The Animal takes out Diamond Dallas Page in Round 2 with the Batista Bomb.

Batista35.jpg
th_Batista.jpg
thBatista30.jpg
Batista.jpg

Batista is too strong for DDP. It's not much more complicated than that. Batista has beaten cleanly the likes of Triple H, John Cena, Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker, Randy Orton, etc. I don't think that there is anyone who holds a winning record over the Animal, save for maybe the Undertaker. Batista isn't a favorite of the internet community, but the man is damn good at what he does. Dave doesn't do the flippies and the wristlocks; he tosses his opponent like a ragdoll. I won't be convinced that there is anything that Diamond Dallas can do that will but Batista down for three, nor will you tell me that he will overcome the Batista Bomb.

I'll pop in with various reasons that DDP should go over Batista.

Reason 1:

This is the most obvious. Batista is slower than molasses. I mean SLOWWWWW. Even if Batista gets DDP up for the Batista Bomb, there's no question that he's countering that into a Diamond Cutter.

SELF HIGH FIVE

I'll pop in with various reasons that DDP should go over Batista.

Reason 1:

This is the most obvious. Batista is slower than molasses. I mean SLOWWWWW. Even if Batista gets DDP up for the Batista Bomb, there's no question that he's countering that into a Diamond Cutter.

SELF HIGH FIVE
Despite being "slower than molasses," he's still had no problem dominating the speed demons of his era (or what qualifies for a speed demon in his company). Why DDP would pose an extraordinary threat in this department is beyond me. Me thinks you're talking shit.

Also, Randy Orton has yet to counter Batista's BB with an RKO, so obviously Batista's vice-like grib is preventing such a thing from happening.

Finally, the RKO has never kept a prime Batista down for a three count. And considering he's been exposed for most of his main event run to a move so similar to DDP's finisher, it's hard to imagine him not being ready to kick out of a Diamond Cutter.

VOTE BATISTA

The Diamond Cutter is a far superior move to the RKO, and because Page countered the Chokeslam from a superior strength in the Giant, you'll see that DDP would have no problem countering something from that puny Batista.

And Coco, based on seeing some of the people you've been voting for in this tournament, I would have serious reservations backing any vote recommendation that you gave.

I went with Big Dave here. Why, you may ask? Well he's strong, and even though DDP has beaten the Giant, I'm sure Batista has beaten Big Show before, so there's that. Also, I'd reckon Batista has accomplished more tite wise in the WWE than DDP did in WCW. Sure, the tow world title thing may inflate that a bit, but the same can be said about the fact that WCW had pretty shitty talent around DDP's time.

This has to be the year of Batista. He's in the midst of his farewell tour in the WWE at the moment. It's a sad time for millions around the globe. We need to give this to him, he deserves it.

I have yet to see a vote that convinces me that either one of these guys should even be in this tournament can someone change my mind please

I have yet to see a vote that convinces me that either one of these guys should even be in this tournament can someone change my mind please

That's understandable as the votes themselves don't really tell you much. The trick is reading the posts, you see. I'll help to make it a little clearer for you though.

Do you watch the WWE? Sure you do, it's, like, the only form of wrestling out there. Right? Well assuming you have, I'm sure you've heard of Batista. He's the big, strong dude that makes you wet your pants a little whenever he comes out. If he makes you that scared, imagine what he does his opponents.

Want a little history lesson on Batista? He's beaten some pretty big names. HHH, John Cena, Undertaker, Randy Orton, Shawn Michaels, even Rey Mastrio. All of these men fell to the power of the animal.

You want entertainment? Ever since Batista has been a heel he's been one of the most entertaining guys in wrestling. Walking around in tight jackets and slamming the shit out of people is certainly enough to make a boy like yourself squeal in delight.

It seems pretty clear while the man, the myth, the legend Dave Batista is in this tournament. The only question now, is why haven't you voted for him yet by dear Mr. Savage Life?

CoCo annoys the shit out of me with his arguments which makes me really not want to vote for batista. I like his whole little Spotlight thing Batista does though and DDP beat a bunch of guys that were either way past their prime (hennig, hall, hogan,sting, nash etc) or far from it (Benoit, malenko, guerrero) but he had cool entrance music so therefore im dead even with these two somebody convince me otherwise

CoCo annoys the shit out of me with his arguments which makes me really not want to vote for batista. I like his whole little Spotlight thing Batista does though and DDP beat a bunch of guys that were either way past their prime (hennig, hall, hogan,sting, nash etc) or far from it (Benoit, malenko, guerrero) but he had cool entrance music so therefore im dead even with these two somebody convince me otherwise

You said that you like Batista's spotlight entrance. To convince you to vote for Batista, here's DDP's entrance:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dgargdyCaVs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dgargdyCaVs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

It's not as good as Batista's right? DDP uses a rip-off of Nirvana's Smells like Teen Spirit. That's pretty unoriginal. And his little hand sign thingy? Rip off of Jay Z's dynasty sign.

So why not vote for the Animal? His entrance is better than DDP's. Do the right thing MrSavageLife. Vote Batista.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nzWDi5sgmdU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nzWDi5sgmdU&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

The Diamond Cutter is a far superior move to the RKO, and because Page countered the Chokeslam from a superior strength in the Giant, you'll see that DDP would have no problem countering something from that puny Batista.
Orton's both countered chokeslams with the RKO and hit the RKO on a much heavier Big Show. So not only are you using faulty logic in assuming that countering a chokeslam into the Cutter means he could do the same out of a Batista Bomb, but you're also seriously underselling Orton.

All around shitty post. Stop insulting the people by thinking they'll go for this crap.

And Coco, based on seeing some of the people you've been voting for in this tournament, I would have serious reservations backing any vote recommendation that you gave.
Discrediting me does not discredit the argument for Batista.

VOTE BATISTA.

I still haven't voted in this matchup yet. I've read the whole post and have read good arguments for both.

In a kayfabe matchup Batista would probably win. As far as who was a greater wrestler, Batista has probably accomplished more, but I enjoyed DDP as a talent much more. I think DDP was very good at his peak and the story of his career is inspiring to me. Yeah that doesn't make him better than Batista, but it certainly makes me like him more.

I also feel DDP was much more consistent as a talent than Batista. Batista is very good when he's on his game, but it's no secret that Batista has had periods over the years where he's slacking off. Sometimes he's very boring.

Batista is probably more successful because he was a big name in a bigger company, but it's easy to forget that DDP was one of the most popular wrestlers during the biggest boom period in American wrestling history. So DDP nowadays isn't as big a star as Batista, but in the late '90s other than Stone Cold, Goldberg, the Rock, Undertaker, and Sting, I'd say DDP was right there as well, especially for WCW talent.

So I'm still not sure who I'm going to vote for quite yet.

Both of these are the opposites of victims of circumstance. I remember watching DDP on WCW, and for so many reasons, I was thinking of voting for him. Then the other day I was watching an old match of his, and when he came out the announceer called him "the master of the diamond cutter". Never have I seen a greater example of a move getting a man over. Funnily enough, the closest thing to a diamond cutter these days is an RKO, used by a man that Batista has had several wins against over the years, so I think the right choice is Batista.

LETS GOOOO DD FUCKIN P!!!!

This is DDP's match, honestly. The guy was KNOWN for winning matches he had no buisness being in, fuck, he had no buisness being in wrestling at all. DDP was built on grit, detirmination, and a killshot finisher that could come out of nowere, and put ANYONE down.

I know he likely doesnt have a chance, since the vast majority of our main posting community doesnt have a fucking CLUE what DDP was about in his heyday. I can explain it a bit like this, he was Stone Cold a bit before Stone Cold was. A common man, who was a heel that was continuously cheered. Sure, Batista has been in some big spots on some big cards, well DDP was too, long before that. He, like Batista, is a multi time world champion. DDP was one of the original "cool heels" long befor Batista was telling little children in the audience that he hated them too.

Above all....Batista NEVER beats guys with heart, with character, with grit. Batista's heart pumps kool aid, and thats why, when guys overcome the odds, and sly the beast, it has often been Batitsa taking the fall.

DDP is the perfect guy for this. I absolutely see him turing a Batista Bomb into a diamond cutter, and escaping with the win.

Both of these are the opposites of victims of circumstance. I remember watching DDP on WCW, and for so many reasons, I was thinking of voting for him. Then the other day I was watching an old match of his, and when he came out the announceer called him "the master of the diamond cutter". Never have I seen a greater example of a move getting a man over. Funnily enough, the closest thing to a diamond cutter these days is an RKO, used by a man that Batista has had several wins against over the years, so I think the right choice is Batista.

The diamond cutter and the RKO are decidedly different. Sure, the ending was the same, the move however, worlds apart. The entire point of the cutter was DDP being able to strike from anywere, anytime. its danger was within its resourcefullness, as was the entirety of DDP's skill set.

Orton, on the other hand, acts like a break dancer with down syndrome crossed with a Jack Russel terrier before he goes for the RKO. Orton's character while having said matches with batista was also about 127X weaker and more cowardly than DDP ever was in his prime.

DDP in his prime > Orton's bitch ass all the times Batista beat him

The diamond cutter and the RKO are decidedly different. Sure, the ending was the same, the move however, worlds apart. The entire point of the cutter was DDP being able to strike from anywere, anytime. its danger was within its resourcefullness, as was the entirety of DDP's skill set.

Orton, on the other hand, acts like a break dancer with down syndrome crossed with a Jack Russel terrier before he goes for the RKO. Orton's character while having said matches with batista was also about 127X weaker and more cowardly than DDP ever was in his prime.

DDP in his prime > Orton's bitch ass all the times Batista beat him

So you're saying that guys like HHH, HBK, Cena, and Undertaker don't have heart or grit. Because Batista has beaten all of those guys clean and he is one of very few to do so in his time in the WWE. It doesn't matter how Orton sets up for the RKO. Batista has countered it many times before and beat Orton. What's to say he can't do the same to DDP?

HHH? Not when batista beat him, he didnt. Taker has gotten the better of batista in the bigger match. Taker brought his mystery, and heart, and Batista shrunk. Cena broke his neck during that match, hardly a comparison. Batista also lost the only high profile match he ever had against HBK.

It absolutely matters how Orton sets up the RKO, and how the Cutter is entirely based upon suprise, and resourcefullness. If you cant see the difference, you clearly havent seen a whole lot of DDP in his prime.

HHH? Not when batista beat him, he didnt. Taker has gotten the better of batista in the bigger match. Taker brought his mystery, and heart, and Batista shrunk. Cena broke his neck during that match, hardly a comparison. Batista also lost the only high profile match he ever had against HBK.

It absolutely matters how Orton sets up the RKO, and how the Cutter is entirely based upon suprise, and resourcefullness. If you cant see the difference, you clearly havent seen a whole lot of DDP in his prime.

Still though, Batista has beat Undertaker clean. I consider Taker's prime to be from 2006 till now and the only people who have beaten him clean are Kurt Angle, Khali, Big Show, and Kozlov to my knowledge.

Cena broke his neck by Batista countering one of his moves to a powerbomb. Sucks for Cena that he broke his neck then but it doesn't change the fact that Batista won. We don't think any less of Owen because he lost after breaking Austin's neck now do we?

Which high profile match against HBK are you talking about? Do you mean the one in 2003 where Batista hadn't wrestled probably five matches that year? Do you mean at Backlash where HBK had to fake an injury to catch Batista off-guard? Or do you mean at One Night Stand where HBK got his ass handed to him?

Above all....Batista NEVER beats guys with heart, with character, with grit. Batista's heart pumps kool aid, and thats why, when guys overcome the odds, and sly the beast, it has often been Batitsa taking the fall.
With God as my witness, there are TWO proper examples of this occuring. Against two men Batista's also beaten clean. And unless you think DDP is fit to be in the same class as John Cena and the Undertaker, this argument is complete and utter horse shit.

VOTE BATISTA.

Taker beat Tista at WM. Clean.

Cena lost a match were he broke his neck. he holds a 2-1 record against Batitsa overall, both wins clean.

The backlash one, clearly.

He isnt wresltling any of those guys though. He is wrestling DDP. So, even though your debating tactic means fuck all, since all the guys you named for the most part have winning records against Batista, namely on the bigger stages (of which the WZ tournament is), it really means nothing, becuase this match is against DDP, in his prime, not those guys.

So stop side stepping with half truths and used car salesmen tactics, if you don't mind.

With God as my witness, there are TWO proper examples of this occuring. Against two men Batista's also beaten clean. And unless you think DDP is fit to be in the same class as John Cena and the Undertaker, this argument is complete and utter horse shit.

VOTE BATISTA.

Broken neck, and Taker won on the bigger stage, in the higher profile match.

VOTE DDP

Taker beat Tista at WM. Clean.
Tista beat Taker clean at Cyber Sunday. Even series of singles matches.

Cena lost a match were he broke his neck. he holds a 2-1 record against Batitsa overall, both wins clean.
One was a LMS match. Farthest thing from clean I've ever seen, and this isn't an LMS match. In standard singles matches, which this is, it's an even series.

Cena, like you build DDP up to be, is a man of grit and heart. Very comparable. And Batista broke his neck and handed him one of his only post 2004 clean loses.

Fact is, Batista doesn't lose often to give guys big, career defining victories. In fact, it's happened twice. As stated above, against dominant figures who have a larger place in the history of the biz than DDP.

Why does DDP stand more of a chance than them? I don't see it.

This "big stage" stuff means nothing. Fuck, it's round two...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back