• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Santino Should Become WHC upon return

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
Hold your horses before you tell me how stupid this idea is. I'm completely serious and I think it will not only elevate the WHC but is also something Santino deserves.

Santino is bound to return from injury and will get the same reaction he always gets when he returns. I'm under the personal belief that Santino is one of the most under rated and under appreciated in ring performers in the WWE as well as one of the best promo givers in the WWE. Now firstly running through your heads is why the WHC and the answer is that title is the only one not in good hands. The Shield are still over, Axel (Heyman) is over, Cena is over, ADR is not and whilst I know the argument would be well it'll probably be Sandow as champion soon enough anyway I say this idea works even better for someone like Sandow.

Santino does not need any sort of gimmick change. Santino does not need to do anything different to get the crowd behind him cause frankly the crowd is behind him in almost all ways. We all know that with Santino it is easy to create a feud, he's not that intelligent and the heel can belittle him. Now thinking that Sandow is uber intelligent and ADR and Santino have history from their rumble encounter you have an instant feud.

Oh that's right let me remind you on how tal eyes Santino is and how invested the crowd is with him. Royal Rumble he sneaks out under the ring and enters after ADR thinks he has won and almost throws him out which makes the entire Wreatling Community heart stop (mostly do extreme happiness) and also causes major cheering. Now your argument...this doesn't show off any of his skills. To which I remind you of his time in the elimination chamber where he steals the entire show. His in ring performance is excellent and has the entire crowd behind him. When he hits the Cobra the place explodes. He has all the talent that is needed for a run and the crowd would love it.

Now you may ask how does someone who clowns around elevate the WHC title. That can be answered very easily as well. See one Mr. Honky Tonk man, someone who is taken absolutely not seriously and gets given an IC title. Everyone thinks he is going to lose it and everyone wants to see him lose it. He holds it for over a year and ultimately gets beat by Ultimate Warrior in the first ever Summerslam. Yes this post is inspired by kb's reviews for those of you who read it.

Then you move to current WWE and you have an opportunity for a talented Santino to win the WHC and firstly get the crowd to get behind the person holding it but also start a title run that can get people to care about the title. Nobody expects Santino to win, have him go up against actual main event talent and have him get wins in any fashion and have the crowd carry the idea of when is Santino going to lose? Give Santino a lengthy run of doing this say 6 PPVs at least and people will care. People will come out and try to see when Santino loses THE TITLE.

This in turn not only adds attention to the belt but gives INSTANT HEAT to the one who beats him. You want to add heat to someone have them beat the underdog who the crowd loves it's a win win and is something I believe Santino deserves and something the WHC deserves.

The Honky Tonk man storyline is something that isn't used enough and Santino could do it perfectly.

I applaud your effort but:

Santino is great at what he does. He's a comedy jobber (and he can actually wrestle). It makes no sense whatsoever to give him the World Title. The World title is already less prestigious than the WWE title and WWE all but admits it by who they give the belt to and what they do with it. The title needs legitimacy again. It needs Randy Orton, or John Cena, or CM Punk to hold it again. The last thing it needs is a comedy jobber unless they're just trying to put the final nail in the WHC's coffin.

Honkey Tonk Man holding the IC belt is not the same. First of all, Honkey Tonk Man wasn't a jobber. Secondly, it's the IC belt, not a world title. Lastly, the IC title was a strong belt at that time.

He's not that bad of a wrestler. At first he was cause it seemed like he didn't Know how to wrestle. But hes getting better at it. I think he needs a better finisher thoe. But other than that hes good.

I'll be honest with you on this one, I agree. I completely agree that Santino should have some time, even a short run, as a main event champion and the WHC is the perfect title for him. It's not the WWE championship, which is apparently the most "prestigious" one at the time, but it's still a main event championship. Santino has played the stooge for the WWE (and done the best job at it by far as compared to others) for quite some time. He has also showed that he is perfectly capable of gaining victories (just as often by accident as otherwise which rather adds to the entertainment value).

I appreciate that it is mentioned that he doesn't have to change his character. He doesn't. He's great as he is and would be an entertaining and hilarious heavyweight champion. I'm one of those odd people that don't see anything wrong with a comedic champion (short term). I understand many of the "purists" would yelp strongly against this idea because it makes their favored "sport" look ridiculous. I'm a big fan of pro wrestling and I'd be the first to say that the majority of it is completely and utterly ridiculous. Santino is a natural as a main event champion. Let him have his moment in the sun. If there's anybody who's earned it, it's him.

And as always, fear the cobra!

Santino's heel run as IC Champ, with the honk-a-meter, ended too soon in my book.

I don't see any reason why Santino wouldn't make a decent WHC. He's been over and stayed over for a long time. I haven't seen him outside of his main roster run but by all accounts he can go in the ring. He doesn't need to tone down the comedy but I do think they'd have to establish his wrestling skills more. The Cobra should go.

As long as he's believable so that guys aren't losing anything by being beaten by him, then why not.

I applaud your effort but:

Santino is great at what he does. He's a comedy jobber (and he can actually wrestle). It makes no sense whatsoever to give him the World Title. The World title is already less prestigious than the WWE title and WWE all but admits it by who they give the belt to and what they do with it. The title needs legitimacy again. It needs Randy Orton, or John Cena, or CM Punk to hold it again.

Feed Santino to them when the time is right. I feel like you could easily build him up by giving him wins against high profile wrestlers (ADR, Big Show, Sandow, even some faces like Christian, or Sheamus and have them take a fall albeit not necessarily clean/ in a Santino way and then whoever you want to give them heat to although I'm personally all for an Orton to win it after the WWE championship reign (it'll happen.) and for him to even elevate himself as a heel more whilst adding prestige.

The last thing it needs is a comedy jobber unless they're just trying to put the final nail in the WHC's coffin.

I don't necessarily agree with this statement. I don't think it's the person that makes the prestige I feel it's more the storyline that makes the prestige. If you have who Santino faces saying something to the likes of how can a clown hold something so important you have the prestige. If Orton held the title and did nothing with it I'd say option 1 is the more prestigious.

Honkey Tonk Man holding the IC belt is not the same. First of all, Honkey Tonk Man wasn't a jobber. Secondly, it's the IC belt, not a world title. Lastly, the IC title was a strong belt at that time.

I'm not exactly sure I'd call Santino a "jobber" or at least entirely a jobber. The man has held far more titles than that of the common jobber been featured in important matches in the past, and has been given a ton of TV time. If anything I'd say he's a comedy character. Now whilst HTM was arguably more decorated its still nobody you'd expect to win a lot of matches.

And personally I think the current WHC title is on the same plain as the old IC title. It shouldn't be but that's where I put it.

Edit: To all those saying the cobra should go I agree.

Hold your horses before you tell me how stupid this idea is. I'm completely serious and I think it will not only elevate the WHC but is also something Santino deserves.

I like you Macios. But I'm going to vehemently disagree with you. It's against my better judgement though, because I feel this might turn into a long debate that I'm too lazy to see through to the end, but here goes anyway.

Santino is bound to return from injury and will get the same reaction he always gets when he returns. I'm under the personal belief that Santino is one of the most under rated and under appreciated in ring performers in the WWE as well as one of the best promo givers in the WWE. Now firstly running through your heads is why the WHC and the answer is that title is the only one not in good hands. The Shield are still over, Axel (Heyman) is over, Cena is over, ADR is not and whilst I know the argument would be well it'll probably be Sandow as champion soon enough anyway I say this idea works even better for someone like Sandow.

Santino does not need any sort of gimmick change. Santino does not need to do anything different to get the crowd behind him cause frankly the crowd is behind him in almost all ways. We all know that with Santino it is easy to create a feud, he's not that intelligent and the heel can belittle him. Now thinking that Sandow is uber intelligent and ADR and Santino have history from their rumble encounter you have an instant feud.

Oh that's right let me remind you on how tal eyes Santino is and how invested the crowd is with him. Royal Rumble he sneaks out under the ring and enters after ADR thinks he has won and almost throws him out which makes the entire Wreatling Community heart stop (mostly do extreme happiness) and also causes major cheering. Now your argument...this doesn't show off any of his skills. To which I remind you of his time in the elimination chamber where he steals the entire show. His in ring performance is excellent and has the entire crowd behind him. When he hits the Cobra the place explodes. He has all the talent that is needed for a run and the crowd would love it.

Now you may ask how does someone who clowns around elevate the WHC title. That can be answered very easily as well. See one Mr. Honky Tonk man, someone who is taken absolutely not seriously and gets given an IC title. Everyone thinks he is going to lose it and everyone wants to see him lose it. He holds it for over a year and ultimately gets beat by Ultimate Warrior in the first ever Summerslam. Yes this post is inspired by kb's reviews for those of you who read it.

Then you move to current WWE and you have an opportunity for a talented Santino to win the WHC and firstly get the crowd to get behind the person holding it but also start a title run that can get people to care about the title. Nobody expects Santino to win, have him go up against actual main event talent and have him get wins in any fashion and have the crowd carry the idea of when is Santino going to lose? Give Santino a lengthy run of doing this say 6 PPVs at least and people will care. People will come out and try to see when Santino loses THE TITLE.

This in turn not only adds attention to the belt but gives INSTANT HEAT to the one who beats him. You want to add heat to someone have them beat the underdog who the crowd loves it's a win win and is something I believe Santino deserves and something the WHC deserves.

The Honky Tonk man storyline is something that isn't used enough and Santino could do it perfectly.

One of the best things about wrestling is that it's a surprisingly complex entertainment medium, especially in how it's consumed. Like film and music, there's no one way to like it. You wouldn't like a drama film the same way you'd like a comedy film. You wouldn't like classical music the way you'd like rock music. And people don't like comedy wrestlers the way they like serious wrestlers.

Main event talent can incorporate comedy into their shtick. In the last two or three years of his full-time career, Mankind had a lot of awesome comedy moments, between Mr. Socko and The Rock and Sock connection. And he went on to win the WWE title and people were firmly behind him. But people took Mick Foley seriously as a wrestler because, when shit got serious, he could deliver a promo that would leave you in a stunned silence. Look at his feuds with The Rock and Triple H. Hell, look at his cameo appearances on Raw. He had a serious side that was more intense than most.

The same goes for Daniel Bryan today. He can be hilarious, as he's shown in the last year. But sometimes he's totally serious, and in the ring he's all business and it shows.

Santino doesn't have that. Santino is 100% comedy and that's how we'll always see him because that's how he's (almost) always been booked since the first time we saw him. It's not just funny promos, he's funny in the ring, every aspect of his character is played for comedy. He probably is very underrated in the ring. He could be the next Daniel Bryan for all I know, it doesn't matter because he's never been serious in his life.

People can get behind a character who's never serious because they're endearing. But it's the same way they get behind an underdog like Mankind or a happy-go-lucky face like Kofi Kingston. When you don't have a serious side, no one takes you seriously as a main event wrestler.

Eugene was really over when he was feuding with Triple H. I believe he beat Triple H once or came close to doing so and people loved it. Same with post-Attitude Era Goldust. People found him hilarious and he was really over. But do you think people would have bought him as a world champion? The fact is, while people may want to see them succeed because they're so endearing, nobody would buy them as a world champion because the connection to the character is shallow and based solely on being funny.

So that's why Santino wouldn't work as world champion. Because comedy over is not real over. People may love him, but they love him as a comedy character, not as a legitimate wrestler. He's just not believable as a world champion because he's such a goofball in every facet of his being. And the World Heavyweight championship is not the Intercontinental championship, regardless of how many people claim the WHC is worthless now.

I think I wouldn't mind this idea. Giving the WWE title to someone in an experiment like this would be out of the question, which is why the WHC exists. We all know that the WHC will probably never been on the same level as the WWE title again, but that doesn't mean it has to. Sure, using the WHC as an experiment has backfired (Khali, Swagger, ADR both times, etc.). However, it can also pay off (Daniel Bryan).

The most important part of being a champion is the ability to connect to the crowd. Santino does a great job of doing that, as mentioned earlier in his Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber appearances. Santino is also legitimately funny on a regular basis and contrary to what people think, he does have good in-ring ability. Look at some of his work before WWE and you'll see what we mean when he says that he can definitely hold his own. If he's entertaining in his shorter matches with the moves he uses, I believe he can definitely be entertaining in a longer match with more serious moves thrown in. He also doesn't need to get rid of the Cobra because it's just another reason to cheer for him more. And yes, it could hurt. Imagine getting hit hard right in your throat/Adam's Apple? Yeah, it'd hurt.

Anyway, back to what I was saying. Santino connects with the crowd and he always gets a loud pop when he wrestles. The problem with superstars' reigns that backfired was that it had a lack of crowd connection. Did the crowd care for Swagger or ADR during their reigns? No. Remember how Daniel Bryan kept sneaking out of PPVs with wins to keep the WHC? Santino could do that and still get cheered. The crowd would want to see how Santino could fluke out another win during each defense. I'm not saying he should get a long reign, but a month or two wouldn't be that bad. Besides, the time between Summerslam and Wrestlemania is the perfect time to test things out.

To help boost his credibility in-ring, Santino can say that he was training extremely hard and learned some new moves so that people can take him a bit more seriously instead of brushing him off like they have over the past years.

Santino is one of the more over guys in the WWE and whoever defeats him would probably get a lot of heat. Imagine Santino starts off the majority of his reign getting these fluke victories and then when he finally beats an opponent in decisive manner on a PPV, Sandow comes out and cashes in on him? Sandow would get a lot of heat.

All in all, there are much worse ideas than Santino winning the WHC because this is actually a good idea. It helps out Santino, gives the crowd a champion that they care about, and also helps the person who defeats him.

I read the title and I thought "you have got to be kidding me." Then while reading, I said "Thank you Macios for opening my eyes'.

I have always been a Santino fan and was really hoping for him to win the title at EC. His mini feud with Del Rio was pretty entertaining and actually helped push ADR further up the ladder. With Alberto seeming blander than ever, why not have Santino return and challenge for the title? He brings out an element of ADR and (most other competitors that he faces) that we need to see more, not sure what it is, intensity, enjoyment in their jobs, competitive spirit, but Santino seems to bring out these qualities in his competitors.

I would have him win the title in his first match back from injury, much like his debut when defeated Umaga for the IC title. Alberto could be in the ring to open Smackdown and challenges anybody in the back to a match because he can beat any one backstage. Santino's music hits and the fans pop like crazy. They have a fun little verbal exchange in the ring, then the match is set for later on. Match time, and after a fun 8-10 minute encounter, Alberto trips on his bootlaces or something and Santino overcomes the odds and is your new WHC. Have him defend against top tier talent and somehow overcome the odds time and time again until Sandow is ready to cash in. Thanks again for this thread it was fun and enlightening

I like you too Blade and believe me I have no intention to really go for long winded arguments however I'd just like to discuss this point.

He's just not believable as a world champion because he's such a goofball in every facet of his being.

I think that, and you mention this, in a fake sport with scripted outcomes and storylines a World Heavyweight Champion(ship) can be made prestigious however people write it. Now whilst I had intended for the people who are facing him to be the believable ones with him defending it whilst being unbelievable, causing the eventual winner to receive more of a reaction I disagree in the fact that a purely comedic character could be a believable WHC in the WWE.

Firstly let me ask you who in your mind could actually be considered a believable World HeavyweightChampion?

Maybe Big Show, Mark Henry, Tons of Funk that's about it So with that point in mind I think we can agree that already there are some creative liberties taken with the title.

Now the reason I bring up these liberties already with the title is because in reality we all know that's not the case and usually it's whoever is deemed one of the best wrestlers at the time. Now all of these characters have been serious in recent memory however that's not to say an entirely comedic character couldn't currently be a believable WHC champion. It's all about how you build them up. If the mindset is he's the future WHC have the commentator s mention that Santino loves to have fun and enjoy what he is doing. Have the commentators tout his talents and make his comedy bits seem natural. Sure he is purely funny, but allow him to use his in ring abilities to slightly hide the fact that he is comedic in everything and there you go he's believable.

The only way something like this happens is if Santino gets a complete character overhaul. I simply don't believe that he can be kept exactly as he is and for people to take him seriously as champion. Santino has been a comedy mid-carder his entire time in WWE and I do agree that he's someone that's capable of being much more.

There's nothing wrong with being a comedy mid-carder but the problem with Santino I that he's completely a comedy mid-carder without any degree of seriousness about him. That's endearing & fun for a mid-carder, but not so much for a main eventer. I'm sure that the initial response would be very positive among many in the beginning before interest fizzled out quickly, like we saw with Zack Ryder. When it looked like Santino was about to beat Bryan for the WHC last year during the Elimination Chamber, people were going nuts. It made for a great dramatic moment but I just don't believe that fans would have accepted a wrestler who is, for all intents & purposes, a clown. He's very good at his job but so was the Honky Tonk Man. In the grand scheme of things, I believe WWE made the right decision by making an Elvis impersonator WWE Champion. I think the same thing will be said in regards to them not making a wrestler playing an Italian buffoon with difficulty grasping the English language World Heavyweight Champion.

If WWE brought Santino back with a completely different character, gave him a solid level of severity and built him up over a good period of time; that might be a different story. But making a comedy mid-carder & jobber WHC for the sheer sake of "deserving" it doesn't work. There have been LOTS of great wrestlers who "deserved" to have been World Champions in major promotions because of their dedication & hard work but, as he is, there's no money in Santino Marella as a main eventer.

The problem that I see with it is that it really, really hurts whoever loses the belt to Santino. I could maybe see WWE giving the belt to Swagger and then having him drop it to Santino to "punish" Swagger for his mistakes. Other than that though, who could afford to drop the world title to Santino?

I kind of like this idea actually. He's no more of a buffoon than Jack Swagger. And much more likeable.

He's sort of a Gilligan type character. He will generate love even though he is ridiculous.

It would be an enormous risk but kind of awesome at the same time. If it worked right it could be tremendous.

The problem that I see with it is that it really, really hurts whoever loses the belt to Santino. I could maybe see WWE giving the belt to Swagger and then having him drop it to Santino to "punish" Swagger for his mistakes. Other than that though, who could afford to drop the world title to Santino?

That's where I feel a Damien Sandow character could work beautifully. He's a very intelligent specimen. Santino isn't a very intelligent specimen and this is where all it takes is the right writing. Have Santino do something that Sandow simply can't comprehend. Have Santino get a quick victory out of that and then have Sandow continue to develop his character as more aggressive and intelligent. In the rematch have Santino win by DQ after Sandow fails to break a hold or something. It's doesn't hurt Sandow if Sandow ultimately gets better because of this.

And no I'm not going to reply to everything in this thread I'm just bored, I like the subject and have wanted to return to the non spam WWE sections for a while.

I know what you are saying but I think it's a bad idea.

Santino is a comedy character, that's how he got over, that's how he gets over, that is the one talent Santino has that no one else has (or at least not to the extent of Santino) and the last thing he should ever do is anything serious.

You're also expecting fans to shell out their hard earned dollars to watch a comedy character as well and I don't think Santino is "I'll pay my hard earned money to see him wrestle", he's over but I don't see tons of people paying their money and getting behind Santino that much.

I could see Santino getting a good pop if he won, I could see him getting a decent pop after his first win but the longer it lasts the more people will get sick of it, especially if they see the guy as undeserving. If anything the people will cheer when the heel takes it off of them. An underdog heavyweight champ just doesn't work in the long term and WWE sure has tried in the past.

I like you too Blade and believe me I have no intention to really go for long winded arguments however I'd just like to discuss this point.

I think that, and you mention this, in a fake sport with scripted outcomes and storylines a World Heavyweight Champion(ship) can be made prestigious however people write it. Now whilst I had intended for the people who are facing him to be the believable ones with him defending it whilst being unbelievable, causing the eventual winner to receive more of a reaction I disagree in the fact that a purely comedic character could be a believable WHC in the WWE.

Firstly let me ask you who in your mind could actually be considered a believable World HeavyweightChampion?

Maybe Big Show, Mark Henry, Tons of Funk that's about it So with that point in mind I think we can agree that already there are some creative liberties taken with the title.

Now the reason I bring up these liberties already with the title is because in reality we all know that's not the case and usually it's whoever is deemed one of the best wrestlers at the time. Now all of these characters have been serious in recent memory however that's not to say an entirely comedic character couldn't currently be a believable WHC champion. It's all about how you build them up. If the mindset is he's the future WHC have the commentator s mention that Santino loves to have fun and enjoy what he is doing. Have the commentators tout his talents and make his comedy bits seem natural. Sure he is purely funny, but allow him to use his in ring abilities to slightly hide the fact that he is comedic in everything and there you go he's believable.

Right, smaller wrestlers manage to win the WHC and become believable champions. But that's because they have other strengths that make them believable. Athleticism, speed, strategy, technique and so on. Smaller guys can make believable champions because it's not always the biggest or the strongest that are the best.

But Santino wouldn't be a believable champion because he has shown none of the above attributes, or at least not to the degree that a champion would need.

And it's the type of comedy character Santino is. You say commentators can put over how Santino's just having fun. That works for Kofi Kingston or Evan Bourne or whatever. But the character of Santino Marella is kind of a moron. A funny moron, but a moron all the same.

Wrestling fans claim that they have short memories when it comes to how they see certain wrestlers. That's half true. They can easily forget a few months when a wrestler was jobbing or they may forget a past gimmick that sucked, because those are minor memories.

The years of Santino being a goofy idiot, however, are memories that stick. We remember all the times we were made laugh by Santino's ridiculous antics, and we have absolutely no memories of taking Santino seriously. That's why he's not believable as a WHC any time soon. Maybe, with a lot of building, a well-booked serious side, and a lot of patience from the fans, he could be. But it's highly unlikely to work.

I think he'd make a perfect underdog WHC! I mean think about it, we're bored with Big Show, Del Rio and Sheamus. I don't see much reason NOT to give him the WHC eventually.

Maybe SummerSlam isn't the right time frame, but somewhere between SummerSlam and the Road to WrestleMania would be perfect.

I feel like Santino could have always been a upper-mid card talent had he had a serious gimmick, but he was so good at comedy jobber that that has stuck with him.

I agree, I don't see what giving him the WHC could honestly hurt, in fact it would be a nice change of pace IMO.

Believe it or not, I strongly believe this could and should happen. Santino, if anyone hasn't noticed, is cut from a WAY different cloth than other comedy wrestlers.

For one, he has crowd support like a mother. I still remember how EVERYONE marked out when he almost won the Chamber, and even WWE had to acknowledge that and subsequently push him. When you give him a storyline to work with, the crowd will never turn on him because he's that damn good at what he does.

Second, Santino is not only a good wrestler, but he can be believable too. In the heights of his US title run, he was going over superstars like Jack Swagger, Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes (IC title Cody, a.k.a. his strongest run), Otunga and lots of other mid to upper midcarders, he has a clean win over Sheamus, he can actually wrestle a good match when they tell him too... and he can also IRL beat the shit out of most of the current roster. Santino is one of the few comedy jobbers who can actually be booked to be a threat, like Eugene and Doink (at times) before him.

Macios, this is the sort of the thread that deserves you being thrown back into prison. Santino should in no way be World Heavyweight Champion, he hasn't been interesting in the last two years.

Macios, this is the sort of the thread that deserves you being thrown back into prison. Santino should in no way be World Heavyweight Champion, he hasn't been interesting in the last two years.

Actually on the contrary you'd be surprised with the amount of people actually telling me that it's a good thread even if they do disagree.

Now about your post saying Santino hasn't been interesting in the last two years. I think that is completely and irrevocably inaccurate. Ok so he's been injured for quite a while now and off our television. However lets see I'm a two year time span so going back to July 25 2011 he has won the U.S title, took place in the team Teddy Wrestlemania match which saw the end if Zack Ryder, put Cesaro over as US champion, participated in money in the bank, participated in a tag team tournament, and opened a Battle Arts academy. Oh and for the record says he'll be returning after Summerslam. To say he hasn't been interesting is totally ludicrous. And quite frankly I just wrote down the major events, if I get specific he becomes very interesting. Now whether you think he is WHC that's a different story, however nothing interesting in two years. That's completely wrong.

Santino becoming World Heavyweight Champion would be the official death of the title. From that moment on it would become absolutely, 100% worthless. Santino is a terrible wrestler, he's terrible on the mic, he's not funny, and he has zero charisma. Putting the belt on him, they might as well just call up David Arquette and ask if he's busy, because even he'd be a better choice.

For some reason I think a Sandow/Santino feud would be successful. There opposites of each other and Sandow could really get over by trying to talk sophisticated to Santino and Santino not understanding what so ever. I dont think this feud has WHC written on it but it would definatly be comical and intriging to see those guys go after each other. All in all I think Sandow is a star in the making and Santino would just help him bring out the comedy he lacks.

Absolutely not. Santino is a joke and he has been for SIX YEARS. That's an extremely long time to be in the same role in the WWE. The only time he has ever been in a serious role was his very first angle where he won the Intercontinental Championship from Umaga as a (kayfabe) random fan only to lose it back to him soon after. He has been in the role of a jobber's jobber ever since. This is the guy who lost in the Royal Rumble after ONE SECOND. Santino is the type of wrestler who you expect to lose to anybody, and quickly. We even have the lowest user ranking on our forum named after him, "Comedy Jobber For Life: AKA Santino". Putting any championship on him would damage its prestige. The man is a joke and can never be viewed as a legitimate threat to any championship. Michael Cole would be more beliavable as a threat to a World Champion than Santino, and that's saying a lot.

Do I consider myself a fan of Santino? Yes. Do I want to see him succeed? Yes, and he has already seen a small amount of success. He is a 2 time Intercontinental Champion, US Champion, and won the Tag Team Championship with Kozlov. He is hilarious on the mic and was able to get a move as ridiculous as The Cobra to be over with fans. However, the way he has been booked over the years cannot be undone by making him suddenly become World Heavyweight Champion when he returns. Santino needs an entirely new gimmick if he is going to be anything more than a jobber to the jobbers. He CANNOT be the silly Santino Marella persona he has been under for the past 6 years and legitimately be belivable in defeating Alberto Del Rio. Nice idea, Macios, but no. Santino should never be anywhere near a title unless he enters a completely new persona.

Santino should in no way be World Heavyweight Champion, he hasn't been interesting in the last two years.

I'd say he hasn't been interesting and entertaining in four years. That crap as Santina Marella with him dressing in drag was so ******ed and he stopped being amusing at that time.

Whenever I click on one of these threads, I always think beforehand that this is one of those joke threads, but apparently the OP is completely serious. Santino in his current form would make the WHC look like a complete joke. If that happens, you could just as well make Brodus Clay (Don't misunderstand me. I actually like him and I would much rather see him get a push than Santino.) or Zack Ryder WWE champion.

Regardless of how over he might be with some fans, he shouldn't be anywhere near the WWE title or WHC. Godfather, Val Venis and Road Dogg were all crazy over back in the day, but did anyone think they were going to take the WWF title off of Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H or whomever was champion at that time? Even another midcard title reign for Santino would be ridiculous. Especially considering who the I.C. and U.S. champions are.

Sad side note: I actually wouldn't be surprised if Wade Barrett was one of the first people to job to Santino upon his return. :disappointed:

I'd say he hasn't been interesting and entertaining in four years. That crap as Santina Marella with him dressing in drag was so ******ed and he stopped being amusing at that time.

I think even those disagreeing with the topic at hand would disagree with this. If you can honestly say Santino hasn't entertained you in four years you must not have a funny bone. Elimination Chamber, the formation of Apple, his United States title reigns, the Cobra Hype, you saying he hasn't amused you in 4 years is either entirely fabricated, or it's true and you jus don't have a funny bone. My guess is you're exaggerating.

Whenever I click on one of these threads, I always think beforehand that this is one of those joke threads, but apparently the OP is completely serious.

I am completely serious, personally I think it would work and I do explain it pretty well as to why I think the way I do. Sure it is controversial, sure it's an out there topic but is it promoting discussion? Yes it is. And quite frnkly I'm not the only one who shares this opinion. Heck, a former admin Y 2 Jake messaged me saying he agrees. Santino appeals to certain people. Some people think he'll be more some think he'll be less. It's all opinions and that's what make forums great.
Santino in his current form would make the WHC look like a complete joke. If that happens, you could just as well make Brodus Clay (Don't misunderstand me. I actually like him and I would much rather see him get a push than Santino.) or Zack Ryder WWE champion.

Everyone knows the WHC and WWE are not currently on the same level. If you simply look at the last 5 title reigns of each that becomes completely apparent. And personally I liked Brodus Clay. I thin back when he was ADR's lackey he could have ended up WHC this incarnation could too if given the right storylines. Everyone who disagrees seems to think people can't change well if given the right storyline and right situation I believe it can. My scenario wasn't saying Santino was a believable WHC my scenario was people telling him he doesn't belong them going for it and the title looking important. Big difference.

Regardless of how over he might be with some fans, he shouldn't be anywhere near the WWE title or WHC. Godfather, Val Venis and Road Dogg were all crazy over back in the day, but did anyone think they were going to take the WWF title off of Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H or whomever was champion at that time? Even another midcard title reign for Santino would be ridiculous. Especially considering who the I.C. and U.S. champions are.

There we go I appreciate historical evidence. And you're correct nobody believed such things. I made a bold statement saying how it be interesting if he could become WHC champion, I fully admit it was bold and not of common belief, however saying he doesn't belong in the midcard is folly. Sure I wouldn't put him over the current champions but does he belong there, I certainly think so. Moreover, I think he'd be excellent in the tag team division.

Sad side note: I actually wouldn't be surprised if Wade Barrett was one of the first people to job to Santino upon his return. :disappointed:

You're probably absolutely correct on this actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back