Santino = the Eugene of this generation?

The Future Rises

Thinking Of A New Name..
OK first of all my first thread so dont blame me if it sucks..

now when I look at Santino Marrella the first thing that comes to my mind is Comedy Jobber, maybe its from the WZ users constantly referring to him as that, or maybe cause its a true fact, but lets face it Santino is a Comedy Jobber who gets taken seriously some times as seen in the Royal Rumble, beating Umaga in his first match and eventually getting a decent Intercontinental Title reign, being apart of the Raw Bragging Rights team in 2010, and having a Tag Title reign with Vladamir Kozlov, and lets not forget how over Santino is with the crowd, but when the WWE was TV-14 there was another guy who can be looked at as a Comedy Jobber who gets taken seriously sometimes, thats right im talking about Eugene, maybe he and Santino arent that similar character wise, but lets look at the comparisons, he had a Tag Title reign with William Regal, briefly feuded with Kurt Angle, and IMO his most memorable moment, feuding with HHH and Evolution wich resulted in a Summerslam match between him and HHH where Eugene put up a good fight and was gonna beat the game but then came the Flair distraction, plus he was in a segment with Jonathan Coachman and a returning Rock, but after all that all Eugene was is a complete Comedy Jobber, now lets compare him to Santino:

- both are comedy jobbers who get taken seriously some times
- both are over with the crowd because of there funny gimmicks

so here are my questions :

- do you agree that Santino is the modern day Eugene?
- if so or not why do you think they are different/similar?
- who would you pick as a better umm.. Superstar overall?

Why, yes, they do have the same role. Comedy-Jobber, as you put it.

That's where the similarities stop, though, if you ask me. Santino is a much better character, performer and even wrestler.

Eugene always made me uncomfortable. It sometimes felt like they were making fun of or taking likely the mentally challenged. That always left a bad taste in my mouth. On top of that he was just excruciatingly annoying and way too childish.

Now, Santino may be childish, too, but he somehow manages to make it kind of cool. It's so uncool it's cool again. You can't take him seriously, but somehow he made The Cobra work and is gathering a minor cult following. He is far more talented than Eugene ever was in things comedic spots and timing therein.

I take Santino over Eugene any day.

Btw, love the Lobster Head sig. I thought I was the only one who always misheard the lyrics. :D

Yes they are both comedy jobbers and Santino is the better overall of the two. I cringed sometimes with the way they used Eugene and his mentally challenged state of mind.

Santino just acts a little off of his rocker he is the Gary Busey of the WWE at the moment. When he speaks everyone listens intently to what is being said then all of the sudden you hear something off the wall like APPLE.

I am on team Marella on this one boys.

They are both very similar as you say, they are both comedy jobbers. That is the only thing that is similar, Santino is better in most ways, what I hated about Eugene was in fact the way he was treated. It was almost like the WWE were having a go at the mentally challenged which I think is disgusting and Santino is just in general a better superstar.

The differance between Eugene and Santino is that they gave Santino a chance to make something out of himself. Eugene was nothing more than a storyline. He was never taken serious nor was he supposed to. Santino was givin a chance, than made into a goof. In a way Santino is the bigger loser of the two because he just let WWE ruin his charector.

The differance between Eugene and Santino is that they gave Santino a chance to make something out of himself. Eugene was nothing more than a storyline. He was never taken serious nor was he supposed to.

I think anybody that almost beat HHH was supposed to be taken seriously in one way or another, I mean really were talking about Triple H here, the guy who when you think about backstage politics first comes to your mind

It says 'too many lies' Idiot

I think he was joking bro...

As much as I don't like Santino, he runs circles around Eugene. I never really liked the Eugene character. I felt like they were making fun of the mentally challenged. It kinda hit home, seeing as how I know someone who is mentally disabled. Granted, Eugene did beat Triple H and was a tag team title, Santino has been a 2x(?) IC champ. They are quite similar when broken down. Both are comedy jobbers, and both are taken seriously at times by the fans.

The differance between Eugene and Santino is that they gave Santino a chance to make something out of himself. Eugene was nothing more than a storyline. He was never taken serious nor was he supposed to. Santino was givin a chance, than made into a goof. In a way Santino is the bigger loser of the two because he just let WWE ruin his charector.

I disagree that Santino's character is ruined, I would safely bet that any wrestling fan would gladly take his place on the show if given an opportunity to work for WWE.

He fits a role and does it well. Not everyone is going to main event, and based on Santino's size and look that was unlikely to ever happen. Rather than be future endeavored, he became a mainstay on Raw and an EXTREMELY rare face character that isn't superman-like.

That is why I disagree.

Yeah I jumped the gun abit with the name calling, no need to make a big deal out of it.

Ill make sure I check out that HHH match.

Having a mentally disabled man wrestle and do other sorts of things like throwing paint at him (believe a big deal got made out of that) may not be PG so having a 'comedy jobber' like Santino, who acts being stupid very well, works for the era the company is currently in

I almost forgot to mention Eugene's FAILURE of a heel turn, that was by far the worst storyline ive seen on RAW for years, but hey another bad and fail storyline was Santina Marella right? so I guess the comparison goes on..

Santino is not so much a comedy jobber... but a comic relief character... He is portrayed as a pretty good wrestler, he is pushed far more than Eugene was and moves from comedic jobber as you put it to a more serious push with ease.

This thread=stupid as all hell. Santino is legitimately funny, whereas Eugene was about as unfunny as you can get. The crowd get sick of Eugene eventually and that's why he disappeared. EVERYBODY has loved Santino since he first beat Umanga for the IC title and his popularity has only grown since then.

If anything, Khali or R-Truth could be considered the new Eugene. They're both borderline ******ed and can hardly speak english.

wow you honestly thought I was serious? look whose the idiot now
i think you'll find it's "too many limes!"
i never really liked eugene, but he did accomplish more than santino. eugene nearly won the world title from benoit but benoit kicked out at 2 3/4. it genuinely seemed like he was about to win the title. then he almost beat triple h and momentarily won angle's gold medal. thank god it didn't go any further

This thread=stupid as all hell. Santino is legitimately funny, whereas Eugene was about as unfunny as you can get. The crowd get sick of Eugene eventually and that's why he disappeared. EVERYBODY has loved Santino since he first beat Umanga for the IC title and his popularity has only grown since then.

If anything, Khali or R-Truth could be considered the new Eugene. They're both borderline ******ed and can hardly speak english.

its not about your opinion about how funny he was, its about how WWE built him, maybe the crowd didnt like him sure they booed him until The Rock came and ever since there segment I think the crowd showed more love for Eugene with Rocky's help and hey its my first thread so.. yeah thanks for being honest although everyone else seems to be ok with it :icon_neutral:

I almost forgot to mention Eugene's FAILURE of a heel turn, that was by far the worst storyline ive seen on RAW for years
He turned HEEL??? I can't remember that at all, but I can imagine that I should be grateful for that. I can't imagine how that was ever supposed to work.

Santino, yeah, we have seen him work as a heel and he can do it well (the Santina storyline notwithstanding). But the Eugene character was too limited for such... depth. Who could buy malice or evil tricks from that ******?

Hmmm well first of all, since this is your first thread, you should use proper punctuation in your original post. People get pissed about that on here and you didn't have a single period in that one big paragraph of yours. Not one. I know it's a lot to ask but I think you can handle it.

And yes Santino and Eugene are both comedy characters. But Santino is no jobber. This term gets used loosely nowadays. Jobbers NEVER win. I mean never. And they certainly don't hold titles. Jobbers are Johnny Nonames who come into a match, get pinned in 90 seconds, and leave. They aren't really used anymore to be honest with you.

Santino and Eugene are similiar, lovable characters that you want to see do well but you know they won't. I still have hope for Santino though as he is a way better character and he's also a very good wrestler.

And don't forget Santino/a held the women's title too! LOL

I think Eugene was a better wrestler overall, with a gimmick which can put him over but only so much. He could have been repackaged in some way or form and he may have had a chance at a successful career.

Eugene was a tool so the wwe can poke fun at everyone saying hay look anyone can do this stuff him doing the rock bottom and the stunner was funny stuff. however santino been used as the class clown as of late finishing with the cobra a poke to the chest is a way to make stars look like fools.

im on team santino all the way

I actually liked Eugene's heel turn, it always thought he had potential to be the next Mankind. The pitiful heel, inflicting pain on himself, wanting to be accepted. Its a shame the WWE never ran with it.

As for Santino as the Eugene of this generation, I guess both got pops for being comedic attractions but I don't see any other similarities. I do actually think Santino has potential to make it to, at least, an upper mid card level or turn heel in a manager role .

I think the main difference between the two is that the Santino character is more diverse and has been able to play to the crowd both as a face and a heel. Meanwhile the Eugene character was meant to be a slightly dim fan who'd grown up with wrestling all his life and mimicked the moves of his heroes. As the character was so specific I think turning him heel wouldn't have worked so it just became stagnant.
As far as the term 'comedy jobber' goes both have had their moments in the sun, Eugene had tremendous momentum from when he debuted til the end of 2004 but by the time he returned the fans weren't that interested and he did end up becoming an enhancement talent whereas Santino again has played the company man and be able to be in whatever position the company wants him to be in and therefore has participated in more storylines and was also invaluable during the whole Guest Host era.
In some ways they are both cartoonish and have the same kind of appeal but if you look at it Santino's character has had much more longevity to it.

Why, yes, they do have the same role.

Btw, love the Lobster Head sig. I thought I was the only one who always misheard the lyrics. :D

BTW I believe the line is my sig.

Santino vs. Eugene or U-gene

This debate as to who is the better superstar. You say Eugene, is better. But how many men can say they had a program with several hall of famers. Santino had one with Piper, Honky Tonk Man, and Goldust (I know that last one isn't one). But he also stated that Stone Cold's movie The Condemmed sucked. The man has had his fair share of getting over with the men too. Not to mention, he won Miss Wrestlemania. He beat out the likes of Molly Holly in that match.

Eugene, granted had his fair share of "Major" guys he worked with too. But he was just play off of the mentally challenged. That isn't good. there was something about him (As a character) didn't sit well with me.

Overall Santino. He has staying power within the WWE Eugene didn't.

wow you honestly thought I was serious? look whose the idiot now

I think you meant "Who's", as in "who is the idiot", not "whose the idiot", which doesn't make sense.

I thought Eugene did well with his gimmick, but it was a terrible one to be saddled with...you just can't recover from that. Anything else you do will always be equated with the Eugene character. The original concept, that he was a savant who could duplicate the moves of his heroes was kind of cool, but was overshadowed by the whole "mentally ******ed" thing. Santino created his character a bit more. He can go a lot of places from here, and if he wants to become a heel, or a more serious wrestler, there are ways to do that. Both are gifted athletes and entertainers, though.

He definately is just that, a comedy jobber. Hes not going anywhere wih his career just like Eugene and they both have some unique accomplishments under their belts (tag titles, Milan Miracle, winning kurt's gold medals). I dont think theres anyone better on the roster to replace him. With his attire and his size I think its hard for fans to take him seriously as a competitor, which makes him the perfect candidate for the comedy jobber role.

OK first of all my first thread so dont blame me if it sucks..

Who should we blame then, Santa?

now when I look at Santino Marrella the first thing that comes to my mind is Comedy Jobber, maybe its from the WZ users constantly referring to him as that, or maybe cause its a true fact, but lets face it Santino is a Comedy Jobber who gets taken seriously some times as seen in the Royal Rumble, beating Umaga in his first match and eventually getting a decent Intercontinental Title reign, being apart of the Raw Bragging Rights team in 2010, and having a Tag Title reign with Vladamir Kozlov, and lets not forget how over Santino is with the crowd, but when the WWE was TV-14 there was another guy who can be looked at as a Comedy Jobber who gets taken seriously sometimes, thats right im talking about Eugene, maybe he and Santino arent that similar character wise, but lets look at the comparisons, he had a Tag Title reign with William Regal, briefly feuded with Kurt Angle, and IMO his most memorable moment, feuding with HHH and Evolution wich resulted in a Summerslam match between him and HHH where Eugene put up a good fight and was gonna beat the game but then came the Flair distraction, plus he was in a segment with Jonathan Coachman and a returning Rock, but after all that all Eugene was is a complete Comedy Jobber, now lets compare him to Santino:

Well, if you meant "don't blame me for poor grammar," then I guess we could blame any and all English teachers you had in school. There are things that are known as "periods" and "complete thoughts." I would suggest using periods when a complete thought is finished, creating a "sentence." It's much easier on the eyes.

- both are comedy jobbers who get taken seriously some times
- both are over with the crowd because of there funny gimmicks

so here are my questions :

- do you agree that Santino is the modern day Eugene?
- if so or not why do you think they are different/similar?
- who would you pick as a better umm.. Superstar overall?

So because both are comedy jobbers, Santino is a modern day Eugene? Did Eugene ever have several girlfriends? Did Eugene ever hold any major championships multiple times?

Eugene was active like 4-5 years ago...how is it already a "new" generation?

The comedy-jobber has been a gimmick being used in the wrestling industry for years. It's not like WWE was trying to capture the lightning in a bottle that was Eugene and project it onto Santino. It's a gimmick style.

well im not a grammar snob and I dont plan on becoming one, and I would say its a new generation since this is the PG era after all, Eugene was with Christy Hemme that one time but i dont remember that well, and I would like you to name 5 more comedy-jobbers just to back up your previous comment, and blaming santa.. really?.. was that supposed to be funny or are you just trying to portray the best heel you can?, cause either way it aint working

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back