Rope Breaks in HIAC/EC/No DQ?

Phoenix

WZCW's First Triple Crown Champion
Sorry if this has been done (I haven't seen one on this yet). Right this is confusing the hell out of me because twice I have seen a situation where rope breaks in these two matches have been put into question.

I was re-watching the Undertaker and Brock Lesnar HIAC match last night and I spotted something really bizarre involving rope breaks. Brock was applying a submission hold and Taker reached the rope, but the ref didn't break it, I thought that's fine, standard HIAC rules. But in the SAME MATCH Taker Last Rides Brock and Brock grabs the rope to the break the pin, how does it apply to submissions one way and pins another?

We see the same thing happen at NWO with Taker tombstoning Triple H and again he puts his foot on the ropes and it goes down to Trips winning, how is this possible when it's a falls count anywhere (within the chamber) type of match?

Is WWE really changing the rules every time so their preferred outcome turns? Has anyone else spotted this or in other matches?

We see the same thing happen at NWO with Taker tombstoning Triple H and again he puts his foot on the ropes and it goes down to Trips winning, how is this possible when it's a falls count anywhere (within the chamber) type of match?

I'm fairly certain JR mentioned that pinfalls HAD to occur in the ring, but you're right, previously they've allowed pinfalls outside of the ring in Chamber matches.

As for HIAC, the pinfall has only ever occurred out of the ring with HHH v Jericho where Jericho was pinned on top of the Cell.

Anyway, yeah its stupid. We know that the main spots are decided before the match, but the rest is improvised so maybe HHH said 'Taker's going to pin me and i'll put my foot on the rope' and the ref can't very well grab him and say 'Sorry Paul, but there's no rope breaks in EC, you gotta think of something else.'

Was it Marty 'the match stopper' Elias reffing the SD Chamber? because if it was, then that whole scenario makes perfect sense..... he fucked up once again. If not, then who knows what they're playing at these days.

The basic rule structure of ANY WWE match never seems to be the same from one match to another these days anyway. I guess it's the only way HHH could believably avoid defeat via Tombstone despite being in the match longer than Taker and taking more bumps than anyone except Hardy.

The rules are very strange for this...
I think for hell in a cell matches, they can go wherever they want, but i think they need to be in the general proximity of the cell or something? I dunno.

I think there should be Rope breaks in the chamber matches, just to mess with people. I know it doesn't make sense to have Rope breaks for SUBMISSIONS in a No DQ match, but it makes sense to have rope breaks for PINS in those matches.

Think of it this way, I think the rules say if someone is in a submission, and makes it to the ropes, the person who applied the submission must break up the submission in 5 or he's DQed.
If a person pins another person, and the person getting pinned touches the ropes, then the pin can or cannot (theoretically) be broken up. If the person keeps pinning the other, then ok, he won't get DQed cause he's not doing any illegal damage to him by continuing the pin. The ref simply won't count the pin.

I hope that makes sense... Ouch my brain.

i think the rule for any match is that the rope can be used to either break the pinfall attempt and to make someone let go of a submission.
in the case of HIAC and EC the submissions arent broken because of the no DQ rule so if the wrestler doesnt let go of the hold he cant be disqualified which would happen in a regular match. as far as the pinfall goes the rope has always broken up pinfall attempts in ANY kind of match.
the ony thing here is that the DQ aspect can change depending on the type of match and the rope cant change

I remember last year's SD chamber when undertaker pinned Finlay and Batista pinned Big daddy V on the outside of the chamber, so they must of changed it this year. i'm pretty sure that in no dq matches.hiac, etc... pinfalls can be broken by the ropes but submissions don't have to be broken.

I'll have to rewatch that match, but I'm pretty sure both pinfalls and submissions must be broken by a rope-break. The reason the ref didn't do anything about Lesnar's submission is because he can't DQ him for the 5-second rule. In a regular match, submissions have to be broken after a rope-break before the ref counts to 5 or the submission user gets DQ'd. I'm pretty sure that if Taker tapped out while he had the ropes, it wouldn't count since it should be a rope-break.

There isn't any such rule for pinfalls so they're stopped for a rope-break regardless of the type of match.

Yeah its like REALLY confusing to figure out.
But technically, EC and HIAC matches aren't Falls Count Anywhere.
And despite there being rope breaks for Taker in EC matches, the pinner can't get DQ'd for his or occasionally her actions.

I don't really know to be honest with you. It's always fuckered with my head as well. They are technically anything goes matches, so why the fuck are pinfalls getting broken up? I guess it depends on the match and the story they are trying to tell in the ring more than anything. It does get confusing, but I don't let it get me down to the point where I lose sleep at night. Or maybe I do...

Didn't Batista avoid getting pinned in his HIAC match with Taker via ropebreak, and Cole and JBL said themselves 'Rope Break? There ain't no rope breaks in HIAC!' or am i confusing that with something else? There was definitely some debate about a decision the referee (mickey henson i believe) made during that match, and i'm sure it was to do with rope breaks somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back