Quarter Finals: Geralt vs. Magneto

Who wins?

• Geralt of Rivia

• Magneto

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as JGlass bringing up the multi tasking thing... He can rip buildings to scrap & make the parts into a new building if he chooses. Check.

Question; what building will he be ripping apart in this battle?

Now, for the guy in the Beakmans World t-shirt.

Ah, yes. I'll now take a question from the guy in the "Booty-Os" t-shirt.

You mean to tell me that Greybeard is going to melt the magnetism away from each piece of metal coming at him or in his sight? Before Magneto has a chance to get just one single piece under his control & coming at Geralt? The guy took out a squad of dudes with a fucking necklace in a matter of seconds. As far as him melting Magneto in the process of this Olympic sized flamethrower trick.... Magneto took some hits from Cyclops, Galactus, Phoenix and others who I am sure burn hotter than your boys fireworks.

I most certainly did not mean to tell you anything that you've apparently concluded, but I'll try my damnedest to help clear up your confusion.

Geralt is going to employ whatever the fuck he can to turn the tide in this fight, extreme heat being one of them. If Magneto managed to get a piece of metal to strike Geralt, it would be repelled by the Quen sign.

Also, thanks for bringing up how Magneto was able to take a blast from Cyclops. Let's see how that worked out for Magneto:

ap0QKOW_700b.jpg

Oh and while you may have a point about Xavier using certain building materials, you should know that was kind of blown to shit considering he rebuilt the mansion in the last movie.

The mansion was blown up and rebuilt, yes. I don't see how that point has any relevance in regard to my point that Xavier would have some say in how the school would be constructed.

Regardless, too many things within logical reach for Magneto to use. Plus when Magneto sees the smaller stuff wont break through, what is stopping him from just morphing a hunk of whatever into a sphere surrounding Geralt & his quen shield?

I'm glad that we can agree that the smaller stuff won't break through.

Geralt is stopping him, that's who he's fighting. Geralt isn't going to stand there while Magneto takes ten seconds to conjure up a metal sphere. You won't get very far in Witcher 3 unless you learn how to dodge on instinct, blocking isn't effective against the tougher opponents. Quen is a failsafe, Geralt's ability to deftly outmaneuver his opponent is his main strategy.

From there he can shake him around, just like Hulk in your Alucard/Wolverine post or he can just shrink it till he is crushed. If he wanted to be a dick, he could just leave his shiny new ball in the yard & go have a snack. Geralt either burns to death trying to melt his way out or he suffocates.

I... think you have me confused with Xemmy.

Now we're saying that Magneto will win because he can make metal balls?

Game over. Best part is he does all this from a safe distance because your boy isn't getting close. By the time he figures out what Magneto can do & how to react, his life is over.

Wow. That's the best part? Magneto wins by beating an opponent who just stood there and did nothing. Quite an imagination you have.

I think I'm more certain than ever that Geralt's patience and persistence will win this fight.

I'd like to start this post by telling you that I know more than you about both these subjects.

I got into more than just a few subjects, you'll have to be more specific.

It's not Xavier's School. It's the Jean Grey School, which was built and run by Wolverine long after Magneto finished being an asshole and started being a good(ish) guy. By the time Wolverine built this school, Magneto was no more of a threat to his staff and students than Cyclops or Emma Frost... which is to say that they weren't exactly welcome at the school, but it was known that they wouldn't harm anyone there.

Semantics; it's the same school, and if there's no data on the matter then I'm willing to believe that even a friendly Magneto is considered a potential threat at the good mutant headquarters.

What does this even mean? You think he can act so quickly that Magneto won't be able to get up a force field or fly in the air so that Geralt cannot reach him with his sword?

That meant that Geralt can risk rushing his opponent given the options he has, and Magneto will be on the defensive for the entire fight. Yes, he can bumrush Magneto so quickly that Magneto won't have time to utilize an effective exit strategy.

As Geralt would say: mistake. Magneto has fought too many battles to not protect himself first and foremost. He will put off attacking Geralt until he has assured himself that he is a safe distance from Geralt.

As Geralt would say: OK, let's see how Iron-Arse holds up.

There's a big difference between how Geralt and Magneto protect themselves. Magneto focuses and manipulates ferrous metals and magnetic waves to create shields of energy and move himself more swiftly. Geralt makes a sign with his hand, and he can do whatever else he feels like while that's going on. While Magneto will have to go out of his way to multitask for an unfamiliar opponent, Geralt's second nature is multitasking his way to victory.

Once Magneto takes to the skies, there's really nothing Geralt can do.

There's nothing that Magneto could do either if he wanted to just fart around in the sky. I guess you're voting for a stalemate then.

Hey buddy, I know you picked up Witcher 3 like, a month ago, but I've actually played through the entire game. And I've played Witcher 2.

I played through the entire Witcher series also. Given Geralt's versatility, it wasn't that difficult.

Even if you invest in Quen upgrades (which I did), the shield still breaks pretty quickly when fighting a strong enemy (which Magneto is). Furthermore, Quen Discharge only reflects damage back on melee attackers, and it's only a percentage of the damage.

Uh huh. You were saying that the shield would surely break after an attack of broken sword pieces began, it wouldn't given a responsible amount of investment.

Magneto will be floating high above the field of battle in his force field, having a cloud of steel shards cut through Geralt as many times as he has to before Geralt lays dead on the ground.

Fine, we're arguing that Magneto will fight like a terrified little bitch. You assume that he'll initially zip up to a safe height and that he'll chicken peck Geralt with tiny pieces of metal. I assume that Magneto will underestimate his opponent, and his curiosity will get the better of him when Geralt rips Magneto's abdomen open with his silver sword.

This is really not a hard battle for Magneto at all, the more I think about it.

Magneto wouldn't think that this would be a hard battle either, that's his downfall. You should know by now that Geralt doesn't fuck around, and Magneto likes to tell people his life story before he does anything to them.

Sadly, I can't even come up with an decent argument for this one. Geralt just throwing away all his metal once the round starts is just silly IMO. Once the match starts, Magneto would crush Geralt like a can of beer and that's the match.

Sadly, I can't even come up with an decent argument for this one. Geralt just throwing away all his metal once the round starts is just silly IMO. Once the match starts, Magneto would crush Geralt like a can of beer and that's the match.

What's more silly? The idea that Geralt would want to discard an obvious hindrance to his ability to fight his opponent, or the idea that Magneto would crush a non-ferrous metal like aluminum?

Why? Its his biggest weakness in the fight, and Geralts whole shtick is he is the ultimate strategist? Of course he would ditch his metal and use his silver weapons/powers

If Magneto's life depended on it, could he manipulate non-metal things? Let's find out:

img_1359.png

At higher levels, Axii is powerful enough to make any opponent chill the fuck out. It's actually a wildcard tactic you can use if you're up against an opponent who's not giving you an inch. Geralt isn't trying to delve into your childhood memories, the sign dulls your instinctual hostility toward him.

And that would be awesome for Magneto if he was up against an opponent who would just stand there out of idiotic curiosity to see what he's up to. Magneto doesn't realign the directions of atoms in a split second on a whim, he has to concentrate.

Geralt can cast a jet of flash freezing wind with sign language, that's a little distracting.

Your Magneto had to be retconned because Marvel needed to sell magazines, and he's still not beating Geralt.

Wow. Fucking wow. You used a comic panel from the Avengers in 1968, and you're just going to discount 40 fucking years of Magneto's other completely insane feats that completely nullify that panel. I suppose we should just have Goku fight Superman, but let's make sure we use the Goku from Dragon Ball well before he ever fights Raditz. You know, cause that's fair.

Magneto's pulled the iron out of a person's blood and iron particles out of thin air to create things. (Not just a movie trick that needs an injection of iron folks.)

He's used his powers on something from the other side of the planet. He can manipulate the EM in people's brains. His force of will counters any mind spell Geralt has assuming it'll even get through the helmet. There is no one in the Witcher universe that compares to Magneto.

When I say concentrate, I mean just concentrating. Do you think think Magneto's just going to have other things on his mind when he's focusing to rip Geralt in half? Because Apocalypse was beating the shit out of him when it he did it to him. And unlike Apocalypse, Geralt can't manipulate the molecules in his own body to make it harder.

I got into more than just a few subjects, you'll have to be more specific.

I meant EVERYTHING!

Or at least everything pertaining to Geralt and Magneto.

Semantics; it's the same school, and if there's no data on the matter then I'm willing to believe that even a friendly Magneto is considered a potential threat at the good mutant headquarters.

No, it's not the same school. It's two entirely different schools that happen to be in the same place. When Wolverine built the Jean Grey School, Xavier's school was a pile of rubble (as it often is, the school being destroyed is kind of a dark running gag in the comics).

And as for whether or not there's metal there...

latest

Boy, that sure looks like a lot of metal to me. And as someone previously pointed out (and I do later in my post) it doesn't matter if it's ferrous or not: if its metal, Magneto can control it.

That meant that Geralt can risk rushing his opponent given the options he has, and Magneto will be on the defensive for the entire fight. Yes, he can bumrush Magneto so quickly that Magneto won't have time to utilize an effective exit strategy.

This is an argument that might work in the earlier rounds when people don't care enough about any one guy to simply say, "he's not going to stand there and let that happen," but there are only 8 guys left now, and here I am to say...

Magneto isn't going to stand there and let that happen.

Let's talk about all the ways he could counter a bumrush: he could control Geralt's steel sword and stab him in the back before Geralt would be able to strike Magneto, or Magneto could simply fly away, or he could charge in himself at a far greater speed (thanks to flight) and simply bowl over Geralt, or he could kill gravity when Geralt gets close enough and dodge Geralt with ease, or he could trap Geralt in a magnetic force-field, or he could use an electromagnetic pulse to piss of Krakoa and have the beast attack both he and Geralt... and much much more!

If you think that Magneto, one of the biggest, baddest, most powerful mutants in the history of the world is going to be taken down by a bumrush with a silver sword (which he can still control, by the way), you're shitting yourself.

There's a big difference between how Geralt and Magneto protect themselves. Magneto focuses and manipulates ferrous metals and magnetic waves to create shields of energy and move himself more swiftly. Geralt makes a sign with his hand, and he can do whatever else he feels like while that's going on. While Magneto will have to go out of his way to multitask for an unfamiliar opponent, Geralt's second nature is multitasking his way to victory.

I believe that Magneto can only concentrate on a force-field and not much else, but he has other ways of defending himself against Geralt, like creating magnetic armor, which according to the Marvel wiki is almost as durable as adamantium, and he's withstood punches from Colossus and Namor. No way does Geralt have anything that hits as hard as that.

There's nothing that Magneto could do either if he wanted to just fart around in the sky. I guess you're voting for a stalemate then.

What are you talking about? He can control all the metal he wants while in the sky. Geralt's swords, the metal at the nearby school, cars on nearby roads... it's all getting tossed at Geralt.

Uh huh. You were saying that the shield would surely break after an attack of broken sword pieces began, it wouldn't given a responsible amount of investment.

Dozens of razor sharp sword pieces whipping through Geralt at the speeds of a bullet... that would easily break the Quen after a few seconds.

Fine, we're arguing that Magneto will fight like a terrified little bitch. You assume that he'll initially zip up to a safe height and that he'll chicken peck Geralt with tiny pieces of metal. I assume that Magneto will underestimate his opponent, and his curiosity will get the better of him when Geralt rips Magneto's abdomen open with his silver sword.

All I'm seeing here is, "I don't know how to counter the flight argument, so I'm going to make up something ridiculous about underestimating his opponent so my guy stands a chance."

Magneto wouldn't think that this would be a hard battle either, that's his downfall. You should know by now that Geralt doesn't fuck around, and Magneto likes to tell people his life story before he does anything to them.

This is the last bastion of the defeated: when people try to make the argument that someone would talk rather than fight.

Magneto does enjoy toying with his prey, sure, but that's not what the BattleZone is about: it's about the better man winning. And in this case the better man is clearly Magneto. Geralt simply has no counter for anything that Magneto can throw at him, and Magneto has counters for anything Geralt tries.

What's more silly? The idea that Geralt would want to discard an obvious hindrance to his ability to fight his opponent, or the idea that Magneto would crush a non-ferrous metal like aluminum?

He can though.

According to Wikipedia, he can manipulate both ferrous and non-ferrous metals: Magneto is a mutant with the power to manipulate electromagnetic fields to achieve a wide range of effects. The primary application of his power is control over magnetism and the manipulation of ferrous and nonferrous metal.

I'm not the first person to bring this up. I don't know if you missed it the first time or are willfully ignoring it because it helps your argument.

If Geralt had immediate knowledge of his opponent's powers then I'd buy Geralt standing more of a chance. But I don't think it's his style to throw down his swords on a whim that his opponent MIGHT have extreme magnetic powers. Even if he started throwing off everything metal plus his swords it'd be too late, Magneto would already be turning the metal inside Geralt.

I want to hear how my picked winner for this tournament gets out of that situation right off the bat. I can't think of one where he isn't immediately killed by Magneto because of it.

A minute preparation time before the battle and I'd be swayed, but there is no peep time.

Can we stop leaning on the "NO ONE IS GONNA KNOW WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON THEU ARE BASICALLY DUMPED OUT OF A BURLAP SACK AT RANDOM" crutch? Doesn't that kind of go against the spirit of the tournament, putting ones powers and abilities vs another's?

The "well magneto would just crush him in his armour before he even knew he was in a fight" is really kind of cheap and frankly stupid since the moment he saw a dude floating in the air in a sweet red and purple and cape, he is activating his quen shield, and your element of surprise argument, which is chickenshit anyways, is null and void

Wow. Fucking wow. You used a comic panel from the Avengers in 1968, and you're just going to discount 40 fucking years of Magneto's other completely insane feats that completely nullify that panel. I suppose we should just have Goku fight Superman, but let's make sure we use the Goku from Dragon Ball well before he ever fights Raditz. You know, cause that's fair.

Hell yes wow! Goku went through trials and tribulations to better himself as a warrior, and Magneto went through periods of time where he couldn't figure out the extent of his powers. To my knowledge; Goku never magically developed abilities that contradicted prior canon. According to you, Magneto nullified himself.

Magneto's pulled the iron out of a person's blood and iron particles out of thin air to create things. (Not just a movie trick that needs an injection of iron folks.)

giphy.gif

Yeah, X-2 was quite a hoot. Supposedly Mystique was able to inject a highly magnetic form of iron into that particular guard, she would have to because... the iron in your blood is not magnetic.

He's used his powers on something from the other side of the planet. He can manipulate the EM in people's brains. His force of will counters any mind spell Geralt has assuming it'll even get through the helmet. There is no one in the Witcher universe that compares to Magneto.

There's no one in the X-Men universe who compares to Geralt, that's the major selling point of this tournament. This is a fight at the X-Mansion, and if his force of will was so strong then he wouldn't wear his helmet everywhere he goes.

When I say concentrate, I mean just concentrating. Do you think think Magneto's just going to have other things on his mind when he's focusing to rip Geralt in half? Because Apocalypse was beating the shit out of him when it he did it to him. And unlike Apocalypse, Geralt can't manipulate the molecules in his own body to make it harder.

Apocalypse is a pathetic fuck-up, and he took Magneto lightly. If you gave any dip-shit off the street the abilities that Apocalypse had, they'd have gotten a little farther than he did. If Geralt got nearly as much of an advantage as Apocalypse had during a fight against Magneto, there would be no opportunity to manipulate molecules.

Like I said in my post, the moment he sees him, he is bringing up his force field, magneto is gonna chuck something metal at him , and viola, hey this guy can do shit with metal

Why would Geralt pick his force field just by seeing Magneto? In reverse, I can see Geralt choosing his human killing sword and maybe rushing in to take a swipe at Magneto. But Geralt choosing a force shield straight off the bat just doesn't seem likely because his trademark is sword fighting first, magic during. But that comes down to Player Preference, that's what I'm doing when I use Geralt.

I don't know. I can still be swayed with a force field use right off of the bat, seeing Magneto floating in front of him would suggest magic ability of sorts.

Watching the super dumb X Men Apocalypse also leans me towards Magneto with what he can do at full, insane strength.

Why would Geralt pick his force field just by seeing Magneto? In reverse, I can see Geralt choosing his human killing sword and maybe rushing in to take a swipe at Magneto. But Geralt choosing a force shield straight off the bat just doesn't seem likely because his trademark is sword fighting first, magic during. But that comes down to Player Preference, that's what I'm doing when I use Geralt.

I don't know. I can still be swayed with a force field use right off of the bat, seeing Magneto floating in front of him would suggest magic ability of sorts.

Watching the super dumb X Men Apocalypse also leans me towards Magneto with what he can do at full, insane strength.

Becsse he is flying? I would activate a shield wouldn't you? Don't forget he can activate it at a moments notice

I meant EVERYTHING!

Or at least everything pertaining to Geralt and Magneto.

That remains to be seen.

No, it's not the same school. It's two entirely different schools that happen to be in the same place. When Wolverine built the Jean Grey School, Xavier's school was a pile of rubble (as it often is, the school being destroyed is kind of a dark running gag in the comics).

And as for whether or not there's metal there...

latest

Boy, that sure looks like a lot of metal to me. And as someone previously pointed out (and I do later in my post) it doesn't matter if it's ferrous or not: if its metal, Magneto can control it.

Um, that wasn't the best picture. Here's why this is a really dull argument for me; Magneto has been stopped by the strategy of using metal that's non-magnetic before, and even the most glowing interpretations of his powers will admit that if he manipulates non-ferrous metals then it's a strenuous task. Can we just rename him "Metallo" or some shit, because obviously we're all supposed to act like there's no science to magnetism anymore.

This is an argument that might work in the earlier rounds when people don't care enough about any one guy to simply say, "he's not going to stand there and let that happen," but there are only 8 guys left now, and here I am to say...

Magneto isn't going to stand there and let that happen.

I should have used the argument that the designers of the new X-Mansion would shy away from using magnetic metals earlier, when he wasn't fighting at the X-Mansion? Duly noted.

I never made the argument that Magneto would stand there and let anything happen, I made the argument that Geralt doesn't take nearly as much time to enact his strategies.

Let's talk about all the ways he could counter a bumrush: he could control Geralt's steel sword and stab him in the back before Geralt would be able to strike Magneto, or Magneto could simply fly away, or he could charge in himself at a far greater speed (thanks to flight) and simply bowl over Geralt, or he could kill gravity when Geralt gets close enough and dodge Geralt with ease, or he could trap Geralt in a magnetic force-field, or he could use an electromagnetic pulse to piss of Krakoa and have the beast attack both he and Geralt... and much much more!

#1: Stabbing Geralt in the back with a floating steel sword isn't happening. You see, Geralt can actually move his body and sense his surroundings. Magneto would be foolish to waste his concentration on trying to poke Geralt with a floating sword.

#2: Why in the fuck would Magneto choose to fly away from Geralt?

#3: If Magneto charged at Geralt, he would be skewered by Geralt's silver sword and spend his last seconds of life wondering why he did that.

#4: Magneto would... kill gravity with magnetism?

sheldon-throwing-papers-o.gif

GRAVITY AND MAGNETISM ARE NOT THE SAME THING!

Also; no Krakoa. Your rules, not mine.

If you think that Magneto, one of the biggest, baddest, most powerful mutants in the history of the world is going to be taken down by a bumrush with a silver sword (which he can still control, by the way), you're shitting yourself.

Way ahead of you in terms of shitting myself when you brought up the gravity argument.

Magneto can't do fifty things at one time simultaneously in the blink of an eye, and he shouldn't be called "Magneto" if he's just a fucking matter manipulator.

I believe that Magneto can only concentrate on a force-field and not much else, but he has other ways of defending himself against Geralt, like creating magnetic armor, which according to the Marvel wiki is almost as durable as adamantium, and he's withstood punches from Colossus and Namor. No way does Geralt have anything that hits as hard as that.

Geralt can cast extreme heat with his Igni sign, and magnetism is dulled by heat. That was my argument earlier, please respond. Nobody gives a fuck about Namor.

What are you talking about? He can control all the metal he wants while in the sky. Geralt's swords, the metal at the nearby school, cars on nearby roads... it's all getting tossed at Geralt.

Yeah, and Geralt is going to be casually moving two feet to the side to avoid things being tossed at him that are too big for his Quen sign to absorb. Magneto would still be hindered by his perspective from way up there, and Geralt would be wondering what in the fuck Magneto is trying to do while taking the time to make every possible preparation for when that chicken-shit finally does come down.

And honestly; we'll never ever agree on the extent of Magneto's ability to manipulate non-magnetic metals. I'm willing to accept that he has the ability, but that doing so is so strenuous (as is mentioned) that he wouldn't be able to significantly manipulate a silver sword. At this point, it's really up to the readers to decide for themselves.

Dozens of razor sharp sword pieces whipping through Geralt at the speeds of a bullet... that would easily break the Quen after a few seconds.

A few seconds you say? Funny, because that's all the time it would take for Geralt to regenerate the stamina necessary to cast another Quen sign. Also; if they're fighting in the daytime then Geralt is regenerating anyway.

All I'm seeing here is, "I don't know how to counter the flight argument, so I'm going to make up something ridiculous about underestimating his opponent so my guy stands a chance."

That sounds like a personal problem. I countered the flight argument by suggesting that Magneto wouldn't find reason to fly away initially, and that if he did then he wouldn't be able to do very much.

This is the last bastion of the defeated: when people try to make the argument that someone would talk rather than fight.

Huh, that's weird. I always thought that ad hominem was the last bastion of the defeated. To each his own.

I don't think that Magneto would rather talk than fight, I think that he has a very different idea of what a fight actually is. Geralt is emotionally well adjusted thanks to his mutation and thus he isn't interested in how someone perceives him, while Magneto is a self-absorbed narcissist.

Magneto does enjoy toying with his prey, sure, but that's not what the BattleZone is about: it's about the better man winning. And in this case the better man is clearly Magneto. Geralt simply has no counter for anything that Magneto can throw at him, and Magneto has counters for anything Geralt tries.

You know what, fine. I'm not agreeing with what you said, I'm at the acceptance phase where I'm willing to admit that it would be useless to repeat myself.

He can though.

Right right right, you think that Magneto is the second coming of Ahura Mazda. I didn't mean that statement toward you.

I'm not the first person to bring this up. I don't know if you missed it the first time or are willfully ignoring it because it helps your argument.

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I willfully ignore the first time someone copy and pasted a statement from this link? That's probably because nobody has done that yet. That same link mentions "although this is often a strenuous task" in regard to manipulating non-ferrous metals. Oh look! I acknowledged that earlier!

Um, that wasn't the best picture. Here's why this is a really dull argument for me; Magneto has been stopped by the strategy of using metal that's non-magnetic before, and even the most glowing interpretations of his powers will admit that if he manipulates non-ferrous metals then it's a strenuous task. Can we just rename him "Metallo" or some shit, because obviously we're all supposed to act like there's no science to magnetism anymore.

He's a comic book character, of course the science behind his powers is going to be dumb as shit. Let's talk about how Iron Man can be crushed by a billion tons and still be fine, or how Wolverine withstands a nuclear warhead detonating on top of him.

I never made the argument that Magneto would stand there and let anything happen, I made the argument that Geralt doesn't take nearly as much time to enact his strategies.

Where did you get the idea that it takes Magneto any time at all to enact his strategies? Controlling metal for him is like breathing for us.

#1: Stabbing Geralt in the back with a floating steel sword isn't happening. You see, Geralt can actually move his body and sense his surroundings. Magneto would be foolish to waste his concentration on trying to poke Geralt with a floating sword.

So while he's bumrushing Magneto, he'd be able to turn around, have a sword fight with a floating sword, continue running full speed at Magneto, and then turn around and slice him?

Okay.

#2: Why in the fuck would Magneto choose to fly away from Geralt?

Because Geralt won't be able to hurt him when he takes to the skies. Why wouldn't he fly away from Geralt?

#3: If Magneto charged at Geralt, he would be skewered by Geralt's silver sword and spend his last seconds of life wondering why he did that.

How? His magnetic armor would be impossible for Geralt to penetrate with a silver sword.

#4: Magneto would... kill gravity with magnetism?

sheldon-throwing-papers-o.gif

GRAVITY AND MAGNETISM ARE NOT THE SAME THING!

No, they're not. But Magneto can control it all the same, and does so in an edition of New Mutants.

Stop trying to apply science to something that is completely and total fiction.

Also; no Krakoa. Your rules, not mine.

Uh, it's the stage. Are you choosing to willfully ignore the stage as well as the reality of Magneto's powers?

Way ahead of you in terms of shitting myself when you brought up the gravity argument.

Magneto can't do fifty things at one time simultaneously in the blink of an eye, and he shouldn't be called "Magneto" if he's just a fucking matter manipulator.

He manipulates matter by interacting with the electromagnetic spectrum, so that's kosher.

And you're right, he can't do fifty things simultaneously. All he needs to do is at most two things at once, four things total, and in no particular order: put up magnetic armor, fly, control the metal Geralt brings to the battle/anything nearby, and throw up a force field if need be. We know he can fly and do any of these other things at the same time.

Geralt can cast extreme heat with his Igni sign, and magnetism is dulled by heat. That was my argument earlier, please respond. Nobody gives a fuck about Namor.

I didn't see you make this argument to me, so that's why I didn't respond to it.

You're being very generous with the amount of heat that Igni creates. In the games it lights people on fire for a few seconds before fizzling out. And after it fizzles out, Geralt's attackers are no worse for wear, minus a bit of HP. That's not to mention that when Geralt casts it, he leaves himself completely vulnerable. What's stopping Magneto from attacking Geralt when he starts to throw the sign up?

Answer: Quen. But Geralt would have already cast Quen as soon as the battle started, and it takes him several seconds before he can cast a spell again. During this time, Magneto would already be attacking him, and likely breaking the Quen. If Quen is down when Geralt tries to cast Igni, he'll just have his throat slit by any shard of metal Magneto can find. Maybe he gets the Igni off and Magneto is on fire for a few seconds, but as soon as the fire puts itself out, he'll see Geralt twitching on the ground as the blood drips from his neck, and know that he won despite some minor burns.

Yeah, and Geralt is going to be casually moving two feet to the side to avoid things being tossed at him that are too big for his Quen sign to absorb. Magneto would still be hindered by his perspective from way up there, and Geralt would be wondering what in the fuck Magneto is trying to do while taking the time to make every possible preparation for when that chicken-shit finally does come down.

This is such a dumb argument. There's a hundred and one ways Magneto could use metal from up in the sky to kill Geralt. He can break it into thousands, or even millions of razor sharp pieces and just keep pelting Geralt with the swarm until he looks like human Swiss cheese. He could use a car as a hammer and smack Geralt into the ground with it until all of his bones are broken. He could take Geralt's steel sword and bind Geralt's feet together and then drop a satellite on his head.

And calling Magneto a chicken shit for using every advantage he has over Geralt is just demeaning. If Magneto is chicken shit for using his power to avoid being damaged by Geralt, then Geralt is chicken shit for using Quen to avoid being damaged by Magneto.

And honestly; we'll never ever agree on the extent of Magneto's ability to manipulate non-magnetic metals. I'm willing to accept that he has the ability, but that doing so is so strenuous (as is mentioned) that he wouldn't be able to significantly manipulate a silver sword. At this point, it's really up to the readers to decide for themselves.

Indeed. Though I contend that he doesn't even need to manipulate non-ferrous metal to win. I don't even think he needs more than Geralt's steel blade, which he can basically do anything he wants with (he could break it into tiny molecules, shove it up Geralt's nose and have them slice open his brain from the inside if he wanted to (which, side note, would be a dope thing to see in a comic book, right?)). Add to the fact that there's definitely cars nearby (the school is in a big town), satellites in the sky above, and probably plenty of ferrous metal in the school (things like pens, razor blades, kitchen utensils, and perhaps even the school's various modes of transportation), and there's no shortage of ferrous metals that Magneto can choose from.

A few seconds you say? Funny, because that's all the time it would take for Geralt to regenerate the stamina necessary to cast another Quen sign. Also; if they're fighting in the daytime then Geralt is regenerating anyway.

Just imagine a vortex of razor sharp metal that is constantly growing as Magneto pulls more and more metal from the environment into the tornado. Quen breaks, the vortex around Geralt expands as the Quen breaks and pushes everything away, but quickly rebounds into the same powerful vortex of razors.

How many times is Geralt able to cast Quen before he's toast? For my money, it's just that first time, maybe a second. By the time it's broken that second time, there will be tens of thousands of razor sharp blades hacking him all over, and he's going to be too busy dying to cast Quen.

That sounds like a personal problem. I countered the flight argument by suggesting that Magneto wouldn't find reason to fly away initially, and that if he did then he wouldn't be able to do very much.

Except he'd be able to do plenty. He can still manipulate metal while flying, as well as put up his force-field.

And Magneto has a perfectly good reason to fly: Geralt's main form of weaponry is a sword, and if he sees Geralt charging at him with a sword, he's not going to stand on the ground and let himself get hacked up: he's going to fly in the air where Geralt can't reach him.

Huh, that's weird. I always thought that ad hominem was the last bastion of the defeated. To each his own.

Maybe there are two last bastions. Maybe there are more. Point is, it's a last bastion.

I don't think that Magneto would rather talk than fight, I think that he has a very different idea of what a fight actually is. Geralt is emotionally well adjusted thanks to his mutation and thus he isn't interested in how someone perceives him, while Magneto is a self-absorbed narcissist.

Magneto's not a self-absorbed narcissist, and I don't know what gave you that idea. Dr. Doom is a self-absorbed narcissist. Magneto is a man that has devoted his entire life to protecting his people.

You're not giving Magneto the same respect that I'm giving Geralt.

You know what, fine. I'm not agreeing with what you said, I'm at the acceptance phase where I'm willing to admit that it would be useless to repeat myself.

Word.

Right right right, you think that Magneto is the second coming of Ahura Mazda. I didn't mean that statement toward you.

Naw, he's just super powerful.

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I willfully ignore the first time someone copy and pasted a statement from this link? That's probably because nobody has done that yet. That same link mentions "although this is often a strenuous task" in regard to manipulating non-ferrous metals. Oh look! I acknowledged that earlier!

Again, you didn't use it in our discussion, and I've been focusing on this.

And again, I'm of the belief that Magneto doesn't need to use non-ferrous metals to win. I mean, Magneto pulls the iron from a dude's blood in X2 and kills a whole bunch of people with it with ease, and that's movie Magneto who is way weaker than the Earth 616 Magneto that is in this tournament. Imagine what a much more powerful Magneto can do with an entire steel sword and a whole world's worth of ferrous metals existing nearby.

There was a time when I was actually leaning towards Geralt, but there's just no way he can account for the metal that will be available to Magneto as well as Magneto's defensive capabilities. This is one of the few fights in his life that Geralt cannot win.

Vote Magneto.

If there is a way he can be defeated, Geralt can figure it out.

I don't blame people if they want to vote magneto, but saying Geralt "can't" win is wrong. Fuck, he beat The Wild Hunt, whose powers are beyond most of the characters I. This tournament and aren't even normal mortal beings of this world.

There is no "can't" with Geralt , the ultimate hunter.

Yeah, X-2 was quite a hoot. Supposedly Mystique was able to inject a highly magnetic form of iron into that particular guard, she would have to because... the iron in your blood is not magnetic.

I'm so tired of this. ^ This right here.
Control of electromagnetic force is Magneto's power. NOT control of magnetic metals. He's got power over all matter, not just the ones you conveniently decide to give him to make him weaker than he is in the comics. You blew off the movie feat when I specifically alluded to it not being like that in the comics. He's controlled the iron content in mutants' blood in order to prevent them from moving and/or using their powers (willfully) as evinced in UCXM Vol 1 304 and Magneto: Dark Seduction Vol 1 #3. And then you just brush off Apocalypse like he's nothing. Just. Stop. Stop trying to act like he's fighting the movie version of Magneto. It's bad sportsmanship.

Magneto's powers growing doesn't automatically contradict all previous canon. And even if it did, you have deal with it because he's a fucking comic book character.

And quit trying to use real science to say his feats and powers are impossible. This is fiction. Magic doesn't exist. I'm not trying to take that away from Geralt am I?

He's a comic book character, of course the science behind his powers is going to be dumb as shit. Let's talk about how Iron Man can be crushed by a billion tons and still be fine, or how Wolverine withstands a nuclear warhead detonating on top of him.

Is that really how you would want people to win this tournament though? Forget these examples of Magneto, and let's just play him as someone who's only ever lost because he forgot that he's God in our minds.

Where did you get the idea that it takes Magneto any time at all to enact his strategies? Controlling metal for him is like breathing for us.

No, it's not like breathing for us. Breathing is an involuntary action, Magneto's manipulation of magnetic material is a conscious act. I don't think that he's ever moved anything while asleep.

So while he's bum-rushing Magneto, he'd be able to turn around, have a sword fight with a floating sword, continue running full speed at Magneto, and then turn around and slice him?

Okay.

A... sword fight... with a flying sword? :banghead:

I don't accept this scenario: Magneto can manipulate a flying sword in a manner that allows it to parry being easily smacked to the ground and yet he can still manipulate it with full agility and strength after an Igni sign renders the magnetic properties of the sword inert.

No, not okay. That wouldn't be okay in anybody's universe.

Because Geralt won't be able to hurt him when he takes to the skies. Why wouldn't he fly away from Geralt?

My point is that Magneto probably wouldn't estimate that Geralt is someone whom he should immediately flee from. It's pretty sad when we're arguing that Magneto would use this method to win a fight, and it's also a huge compliment to Geralt's potency in this tournament.

How? His magnetic armor would be impossible for Geralt to penetrate with a silver sword.

....................................okay, now you're just making shit up.

No, they're not. But Magneto can control it all the same, and does so in an edition of New Mutants.

Stop trying to apply science to something that is completely and total fiction.

Now Magneto controls gravity according to you, got it. I won't bring up a scientific argument if you don't bring up a scientifically ludicrous statement. Deal?

Uh, it's the stage. Are you choosing to willfully ignore the stage as well as the reality of Magneto's powers?

Uh, it's a sentient being. It's fine if it's there, but it can't influence the battle. According to you; the reality of Magneto's power is whatever you decide it is, and all the scientific improbabilities that I'm referencing are written off as nonsense. I'm not ignoring the reality of his powers, I'm making sense of them and I'm applying those conclusions to an argument.

He manipulates matter by interacting with the electromagnetic spectrum, so that's kosher.

Please, don't... even try to explain electromagnetism to me. Fine, when the Marvel writers were really past the point of no return they put out a storyline suggesting that the law of physics concerning energy conservation doesn't work anymore and Magneto can manipulate electromagnetism at will. They at least made it clear that if Magneto goes way into the realm of fucking stupid with his powers that he has to concentrate on that.

And you're right, he can't do fifty things simultaneously. All he needs to do is at most two things at once, four things total, and in no particular order: put up magnetic armor, fly, control the metal Geralt brings to the battle/anything nearby, and throw up a force field if need be. We know he can fly and do any of these other things at the same time.

His magnetic armor won't stop a thrust from Geralt's sword, that's that.

He can fly, and chill out until we call this one for time because Magneto is afraid to fight.

I don't accept that there will be a pile of scrap-metal nearby, I find that implausible.

His force field won't do him any good against the Igni sign.

I didn't see you make this argument to me, so that's why I didn't respond to it.

You're being very generous with the amount of heat that Igni creates. In the games it lights people on fire for a few seconds before fizzling out. And after it fizzles out, Geralt's attackers are no worse for wear, minus a bit of HP. That's not to mention that when Geralt casts it, he leaves himself completely vulnerable. What's stopping Magneto from attacking Geralt when he starts to throw the sign up?

I've made many points that I apparently have to repeat because you haven't referenced my other posts before challenging me with points that I've already argued. Just saying; few people enjoy having to repeat themselves.

Your point in bold is indeed one that you should not mention, because that point is complete bullshit. You can use the Igni sign as part of a sword combo, and as part of a defensive strategy. It leaves Geralt open just like a machine gun leaves someone open, if you don't mind being fried then I guess you could take advantage.

Answer: Quen. But Geralt would have already cast Quen as soon as the battle started, and it takes him several seconds before he can cast a spell again. During this time, Magneto would already be attacking him, and likely breaking the Quen. If Quen is down when Geralt tries to cast Igni, he'll just have his throat slit by any shard of metal Magneto can find. Maybe he gets the Igni off and Magneto is on fire for a few seconds, but as soon as the fire puts itself out, he'll see Geralt twitching on the ground as the blood drips from his neck, and know that he won despite some minor burns.

So basically; you don't acknowledge that heat dulls magnetism. Fair enough.

This is such a dumb argument. There's a hundred and one ways Magneto could use metal from up in the sky to kill Geralt. He can break it into thousands, or even millions of razor sharp pieces and just keep pelting Geralt with the swarm until he looks like human Swiss cheese. He could use a car as a hammer and smack Geralt into the ground with it until all of his bones are broken. He could take Geralt's steel sword and bind Geralt's feet together and then drop a satellite on his head.

This was Magneto vs Geralt, and now it's Magneto -- and a car, and a satellite, and Krakoa, and whatever the fuck else would help him -- vs Geralt.

And calling Magneto a chicken shit for using every advantage he has over Geralt is just demeaning. If Magneto is chicken shit for using his power to avoid being damaged by Geralt, then Geralt is chicken shit for using Quen to avoid being damaged by Magneto.

You don't escape your opponent as a show of force. Maybe you lull them into an ambush, but you're arguing that Magneto would fly away because he doesn't want any of what Geralt can do in a fight.

Indeed. Though I contend that he doesn't even need to manipulate non-ferrous metal to win. I don't even think he needs more than Geralt's steel blade, which he can basically do anything he wants with (he could break it into tiny molecules, shove it up Geralt's nose and have them slice open his brain from the inside if he wanted to (which, side note, would be a dope thing to see in a comic book, right?)). Add to the fact that there's definitely cars nearby (the school is in a big town), satellites in the sky above, and probably plenty of ferrous metal in the school (things like pens, razor blades, kitchen utensils, and perhaps even the school's various modes of transportation), and there's no shortage of ferrous metals that Magneto can choose from.

Okay, now you need to change the graphic on the front page to indicate that this fight is taking place in the entire damn city of North Salem New York.

You really need to write for Marvel. I'm sure that your ideas have ended up in the editor's dust bin for being ridiculous, but I think that would be the only way that you and I could ever settle this argument.

Oh and; iron would be broken down to an atomic level, not a molecular one.

Just imagine a vortex of razor sharp metal that is constantly growing as Magneto pulls more and more metal from the environment into the tornado. Quen breaks, the vortex around Geralt expands as the Quen breaks and pushes everything away, but quickly rebounds into the same powerful vortex of razors.

Well Hell; while we're just implying theories based on notions that are not yet accepted by the person you're arguing with, let's just say that Magneto gives up on life because he's a dumbfuck for ever losing to anybody and only dies when Geralt can be persuaded to end his miserable life.

How many times is Geralt able to cast Quen before he's toast? For my money, it's just that first time, maybe a second. By the time it's broken that second time, there will be tens of thousands of razor sharp blades hacking him all over, and he's going to be too busy dying to cast Quen.

I will gladly compare overall net-worth with you to determine who can better emphasize the term "for my money".

Except he'd be able to do plenty. He can still manipulate metal while flying, as well as put up his force-field.

And Magneto has a perfectly good reason to fly: Geralt's main form of weaponry is a sword, and if he sees Geralt charging at him with a sword, he's not going to stand on the ground and let himself get hacked up: he's going to fly in the air where Geralt can't reach him.

If Geralt gets within ten feet of Magneto, he can hit him with the Igni sign which would dull his magnetic abilities. We're going in circles with this one.

Maybe there are two last bastions. Maybe there are more. Point is, it's a last bastion.

"This is the last bastion of the defeated: when people try to make the argument that someone would talk rather than fight." Your words, not mine.

Magneto's not a self-absorbed narcissist, and I don't know what gave you that idea. Dr. Doom is a self-absorbed narcissist. Magneto is a man that has devoted his entire life to protecting his people.

You're not giving Magneto the same respect that I'm giving Geralt.

Right. How is "Geralt simply has no counter for anything that Magneto can throw at him, and Magneto has counters for anything Geralt tries" a respectful interpretation of Geralt's options in this fight?

That's the way it go in the city of Compton boy.

Naw, he's just super powerful.

Ahura Mazda is super powerful. Sounds like you agree completely.

Again, you didn't use it in our discussion, and I've been focusing on this.

As have I, you just didn't pay enough attention.

And again, I'm of the belief that Magneto doesn't need to use non-ferrous metals to win. I mean, Magneto pulls the iron from a dude's blood in X2 and kills a whole bunch of people with it with ease, and that's movie Magneto who is way weaker than the Earth 616 Magneto that is in this tournament. Imagine what a much more powerful Magneto can do with an entire steel sword and a whole world's worth of ferrous metals existing nearby.

You said "word" earlier, but you apparently didn't mean it. That's sacrilege.

I've pointed out that the iron in your blood isn't magnetic enough to qualify as ferrous already, and that the scene in question from X-2 was in reference to Mystique injecting the guard with enough iron to kill him.

I'll just imagine what happens when Magneto dies because he was oblivious to all of those wondrous powers you're imagining.

There was a time when I was actually leaning towards Geralt,

No, there wasn't.

but there's just no way he can account for the metal that will be available to Magneto as well as Magneto's defensive capabilities. This is one of the few fights in his life that Geralt cannot win.

I'm sure if Geralt managed to account for any factor in this fight, you'd imagine something else to throw at him.

Vote Magneto.

Because he's Magneto?

Vote Geralt, because that's a smarter call.

I'm so tired of this. ^ This right here.

Really Xemmy, you're tired of that? That's so funny because I'm pretty fucking tired of people changing their argument from "He totally used magnetism to pull the iron from a guy's blood!" to "It's electromagnetism man!"

Then there's people who pretend to have even a shred of comprehension in regard to subjects like these:

Control of electromagnetic force is Magneto's power. NOT control of magnetic metals. He's got power over all matter, not just the ones you conveniently decide to give him to make him weaker than he is in the comics.

And how does he do that Xemmy? How does Magneto manipulate matter with a minor influence that's at the mercy of laws of physics like electromagnetism? A better question; why was Magneto unable to escape sooner from a cell made of plastic if he can manipulate matter?

You blew off the movie feat when I specifically alluded to it not being like that in the comics. He's controlled the iron content in mutants' blood in order to prevent them from moving and/or using their powers (willfully) as evinced in UCXM Vol 1 304 and Magneto: Dark Seduction Vol 1 #3. And then you just brush off Apocalypse like he's nothing. Just. Stop. Stop trying to act like he's fighting the movie version of Magneto. It's bad sportsmanship.

If you can use your examples from comic book canon in regard to why Magneto can manipulate matter with electromagnetism, then I can use my examples from comic book canon in regard to why he has failed for really stupid reasons.

Magneto's powers growing doesn't automatically contradict all previous canon. And even if it did, you have deal with it because he's a fucking comic book character.

When I bring up an example of Magneto where he fails because he forgot that his power was control over electromagnetism the entire time, you have to deal with it.

And quit trying to use real science to say his feats and powers are impossible. This is fiction. Magic doesn't exist. I'm not trying to take that away from Geralt am I?

I'm making arguments in regard to how Geralt's powers could match the powers of Magneto, and I'm calling bullshit where people are trying to invent their own rules in terms of how the laws of physics work. Magneto can't magically pull iron from your blood, and he doesn't control gravity.

Apologies envious, I did have you two confused.

What is confusing is why you would choose to show that bit about Cyclops. Showing an undefended point blank kill shot against Magneto has no bearing here. He is not gonna just sit down and wait to get shot in the face.

Perhaps he would if Geralt uses his mind control spell.

People forget its not telepathy, like jean grey or pro X, its a magic spell....so I'm not so sure the default magnetos helmet line of thinking works here

What is confusing is why you would choose to show that bit about Cyclops. Showing an undefended point blank kill shot against Magneto has no bearing here.

You implied that Magneto is able to brush off the effects of damage from a source as powerful as Cyclops' eye beam, I provided an example of when that was not the case. It has bearing because you brought it up, and I think you're a swell guy.

He is not gonna just sit down and wait to get shot in the face.

Except that he did just that in the example I provided.

I'm making arguments in regard to how Geralt's powers could match the powers of Magneto, and I'm calling bullshit where people are trying to invent their own rules in terms of how the laws of physics work. Magneto can't magically pull iron from your blood, and he doesn't control gravity.

Well he's done both of these things, so I don't really know where you get off on saying that he can't do them.

Perhaps he would if Geralt uses his mind control spell.

People forget its not telepathy, like jean grey or pro X, its a magic spell....so I'm not so sure the default magnetos helmet line of thinking works here

Even if the helmet doesn't block Axii, Magneto would still likely resist it, as he is able to resist most telepaths even without the helmet thanks to his strength of will. And there's precedent for this: Axii has been shown to fail in the games.

Well he's done both of these things, so I don't really know where you get off on saying that he can't do them.

He pulled iron from a man's blood after that man was injected with enough iron to kill him by Mystique, on top of that the guy just stood there and let it happen. There were special circumstances, none of which would apply to his fight against Geralt.

Seriously; if Magneto has power over gravity then he's an even bigger idiot than I've given him credit for, as the most the internet can cough up in terms of an answer is that Magneto chooses to fly based on manipulation of a "magnetic field" around him. Therefore he uses a magic magnetic field to fly, because he's at the mercy of gravitational forces and not because he's controlling gravitational forces. This entire time he could just mind fuck his way to cancelling the Earth's gravitational hold over him, and yet again he forgot that he could do that.

Even if the helmet doesn't block Axii, Magneto would still likely resist it, as he is able to resist most telepaths even without the helmet thanks to his strength of will. And there's precedent for this: Axii has been shown to fail in the games.

Axii didn't fail a single time when I played, not in combat or in dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back