• Storm & Mr. Incredible

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JGlass

Unregistered User
ROUND FOUR

fM5qH7T.png

Two of Marvels most powerful mutants go toe to toe in this quarter final match, and by their sides are two men that know how to wear red: Mario and Mr. Incredible. Can lightning strike four times, or does team M&M take a warp pipe to the semis?

FIGHT!

I genuinely do not know who to vote here. There are so many ways this battle can go, with multiple chances for both teams to win here. Writing down my thought process and listening to other arguments might ultimately help me make a decision.

The mutants are going for each other, no questions asked though. Using statistics, Storm has never defeated Magneto without a team. However, Storm has often perceived to have held back in her fights, never seeking to outright kill Magneto. That is, until now. Where she fights him in the Battlezone. I'm going to come back to this, so I can discuss a slightly easier fight.

I think Incredible will ultimately defeat Mario to be honest. Mario is good, but against somebody like Mr Incredible, he'll have trouble. His strength and durability will allow him to take abuse from nearly all of Mario's arsenal, save the Star.

Now the Star is the x-factor of the Mr Incredible and Mario fight. If Mario makes contact, Incredible is dead. If he doesn't and the effect wears off, Incredible can probably deal with him. Now, I'm going to break this down.

Mr Incredible has heightened senses and is a skilled strategist. If Mario tried to avoid him initially with his other power-ups (he'll want to save the star to try and catch Incredible off guard, and even then, the Star doesn't just activate, Mario has to make contact with it to activate.) and then suddenly charges Incredible, he's going to know something's wrong, and he's going to outpace Mario with his super speed. Once the star runs out, Mario can't do much at all. The Mega Mushroom can be countered by Incredible's strength, and the rest of Mario's abilities are passive, or simply don't do enough damage. As a counter point however, Incredible is a close range fighter, and this gives him less time to get out of the way of Mario, but I believe his senses, speed and tactics just about give him time to dodge Mario.

It's tight, but I think Incredible goes over Mario, but it depends on a lot of factors.

So that leaves Magneto and Storm, who are locked in an extended battle. Now, Magneto is not very easily Catch 22'd, which is a MASSIVE benefit in the double team tournament. And I'm still not sure which of them would win an extended fight if both were absolutely relentless. And Mr Incredible can't do much in an aerial battle, right?

To an extent.

Mr Incredible is an skilled strategist. He's also competent at throwing. What's say he throws pieces of the arena at Magneto and distracts him somewhat? Physical damage will certainly buckle Magneto, and potentially force him to deal with Incredible as well as Storm, which he can do, but he can't deal with Storm as efficiently as before.

Magneto won't quite be Catch 22'd, but he'd be focusing on both opponents, and seeing as Incredible can take a fair amount of abuse, this can allow Storm to potentially defeat Magneto. If she can hold her own against him in a fight, what's to say she can't beat him while distracted by Mr Incredible?

This is probably the hardest match in the tournament to decide on. I'm not even going to vote yet. I'm leaning Storm and Mr Incredible, but a strong enough argument can sway me.

Reactions: TLC
We're coming down to the nitty-gritty hombres.

Hard decision most definitely, but I choose Storm & Mr. Incredible for this one. As I've mentioned, Mario has to run around, break blocks and grab his power-ups to be even somewhat useful in a fight. Incredible and Storm are already prepared. Mario can be electrocuted, thrown by gail winds/tornadoes, physically manhandled, etc. Both have extremely strong offenses to Mario's razor-thin defense. Mr. Incredible doesn't truly have a weakness going up against Mario, and Storm would strike a tanuki suit/winged cap wearing plumber down before he reached her.

As for Magneto, Storm doesn't wear metal, and she has been labeled a goddess before; so I doubt the iron in her bloodstream could be manipulated the same way a human's can. Not to mention that the metal Magneto wears is a solid conductor to lightning, I don't see how Mags could trump Storm, let alone Mr. Incredible.

Now on occasion Magneto has absorbed lightning Storm threw at him. There are other ways Storm could defeat him. Like tossing his ass in a hurricane.

Hurricanes don't really have a counter.

Magneto can hold his own against complete supergroups like the X-Men, FF and Avengers. Storm and a sub power Thing might not be an easy battle but his intellect and ruthlessness should see him through (all I really see Sonic doing is distracting Mr Incredible while Magneto and Storm battle each other in the air).

Magneto and Storm are too of the most powerful mutants in the Marvel Universe, no doubt about it. People tend to group Storm in with the "other" mutants, those "others" being the ones that are just cool enough to get into the movies, but not cool enough to get much of a speaking part... i.e. not Wolverine. But Storm is really one of the most powerful mutants, and she consistently finds ways to use her powers more effectively.

Storm is extraordinarily powerful, but Magneto is consistently considered to be one of the most dangerous mutants on earth. His control of the electromagnetic spectrum allows him to accomplish some amazing things, from ripping and bending the unbreakable metal, adamantium, to destroying matter at the molecular level.

Storm is Scotty Pippen, but Magneto is Michael Jordan. Storm is The Kinks, but Magneto is The Beatles. Storm is Kevin Spacey, but Magneto is George Clooney.

Storm's main weapon is lightning, but bringing lightning into this battle would be a mistake as Magneto would be able to manipulate the lighting into hitting Storm or Mr. Incredible, and that would surely end either one of their night's early on. Storm can call on the wind, but it will do little to alter Magneto's control over his own body. She can call on the ice or rain, but what is ice against a twenty ton tank being thrown nearly effortlessly towards you?

Magneto is too good here, and I don't see Mr. Incredible tipping the battle in his team's favor either. Incredible is super strong, but he's not nearly as agile as Mario, and Mario's slew of projectile weapons from fireballs to bombs to hammers should be enough to keep Incredible busy long enough for Magneto to wrap a titanium beam around Incredible like it's a piece of string.

My vote is for team M&M.

Magneto is too good here, and I don't see Mr. Incredible tipping the battle in his team's favor either. Incredible is super strong, but he's not nearly as agile as Mario, and Mario's slew of projectile weapons from fireballs to bombs to hammers should be enough to keep Incredible busy long enough for Magneto to wrap a titanium beam around Incredible like it's a piece of string.

Mr Incredible has super speed, speed which far surpasses a normal human being. Whereas Mario's speed is average, though his endurance is above average, which allows him to run for extended periods of time. I can't see the projectiles doing much damage to Incredible, especially considering his super durability and speed.

I think Magneto and Storm will be a long drawn fight when Storm has the motivation to kill Magneto, with a 1 on 1 winner eventually being Magneto. During this time, Incredible would be able to have defeated Mario and distract Magneto, taking hits due to his durability. I'm just not sure if Storm and Incredible together can beat Magneto.

The animated series has Magneto simply shrugging off Storm's main weapon, lightning. It gets hand-waved with him saying "Don't you know that electricity and magnetism are related?"

Not her only power, but I thought it'd be worth mentioning.

Mr Incredible has super speed, speed which far surpasses a normal human being. Whereas Mario's speed is average, though his endurance is above average, which allows him to run for extended periods of time. I can't see the projectiles doing much damage to Incredible, especially considering his super durability and speed.

Sorry son, but you got it backwards. Mr. Incredible has completely average speed, but Mario has superhuman speed. Mario has been shown as able to outrun/dodge cannonballs and can even fly given the right equipment. On the other side of things, there is no evidence that Mr. Incredible has anything higher than normal speed, and I'd like to know where you got the idea that he has super speed.

I don't think the projectiles will down Mr. Incredible either, but they'll definitely keep him too distracted to help Storm. Then again, who knows, maybe Mario corners Mr. Incredible with his superior speed and just keeps throwing fireballs at him until he's burnt to a crisp.

Sorry son, but you got it backwards. Mr. Incredible has completely average speed, but Mario has superhuman speed. Mario has been shown as able to outrun/dodge cannonballs and can even fly given the right equipment. On the other side of things, there is no evidence that Mr. Incredible has anything higher than normal speed, and I'd like to know where you got the idea that he has super speed.

I don't think the projectiles will down Mr. Incredible either, but they'll definitely keep him too distracted to help Storm. Then again, who knows, maybe Mario corners Mr. Incredible with his superior speed and just keeps throwing fireballs at him until he's burnt to a crisp.

http://pixar.wikia.com/Bob_Parr

Says among his super powers is super speed. Not anything comparable to people like Wonder Woman or Martian Manhunter, but I'd say faster than Usain Bolt, with a lot more endurance.

Also, by cannon balls, do you mean Bullet Bills? Because the speeds of those vary from extremely quick (Mario Kart, requires a vehicle to effectively dodge) to quite slow (side-scrolling Mario games). And yeah, Mario can fly, but not extremely fast without the use of objects such as a cannon, which he doesn't carry around or somehow possess.

There's no real way to derive whether Mr Incredible can be hurt by fireballs, but it's safe to assume they'd burn his costume and nothing more. Mr Incredible has survived an enormous amount of blunt trauma, and sharp trauma can only damage him if there is a huge amount of force exerted (such as his own power). Fire would hurt him, but Mr Incredible is resilient enough to survive.

Not to mention, fireballs are easily dodged in an open, 3D environment.

http://pixar.wikia.com/Bob_Parr

Says among his super powers is super speed. Not anything comparable to people like Wonder Woman or Martian Manhunter, but I'd say faster than Usain Bolt, with a lot more endurance.

It says slight superhuman speed. I'd say that puts him about on par with Usain Bolt, but I reckon Mario is even faster than Usain Bolt.

I'd also like to point out that Mario is way stronger than you give him credit for. He has lifted up a castle, and has also destroyed castles by simply jumping on them a few times. He breaks bricks with a single punch, and it doesn't seem to fatigue him at all. Perhaps Mario is closer to Mr. Incredible in terms of strength than we give him credit for.

Also, by cannon balls, do you mean Bullet Bills? Because the speeds of those vary from extremely quick (Mario Kart, requires a vehicle to effectively dodge) to quite slow (side-scrolling Mario games). And yeah, Mario can fly, but not extremely fast without the use of objects such as a cannon, which he doesn't carry around or somehow possess.

Clearly you've never seen Cape Mario. That dude can fly pretty damn fast, and his dive speed his huge.

He's dodged cannons in many games, and I think it's fair to say that the reason they appear to move slow is because Mario is so damn fast. These canonballs/bullets have no self-propulsion and would normally start to lose altitude if they were actually moving at the velocity that they appear to have, but in nearly every game they continue on their original course indefinitely. Thus, it is fair to assume that these bullets/cannonballs have been fired at full speed, and Mario is just faster than they are.

There's no real way to derive whether Mr Incredible can be hurt by fireballs, but it's safe to assume they'd burn his costume and nothing more. Mr Incredible has survived an enormous amount of blunt trauma, and sharp trauma can only damage him if there is a huge amount of force exerted (such as his own power). Fire would hurt him, but Mr Incredible is resilient enough to survive.

So what you're saying is that because Incredible has survived blunt force trauma, he would be able to survive being burnt? Yes, he is extraordinarily strong, but fire doesn't play by the same rules as punches and kicks.

Not to mention, fireballs are easily dodged in an open, 3D environment.

Not if Mario is firing at him from all angles with his superior speed.

It says slight superhuman speed. I'd say that puts him about on par with Usain Bolt, but I reckon Mario is even faster than Usain Bolt.

Scroll down, it says under his list of powers that he is significantly faster than a normal human being. Slight is comparing him to Dash, who can run across water.

I'd also like to point out that Mario is way stronger than you give him credit for. He has lifted up a castle, and has also destroyed castles by simply jumping on them a few times. He breaks bricks with a single punch, and it doesn't seem to fatigue him at all. Perhaps Mario is closer to Mr. Incredible in terms of strength than we give him credit for.

Mr Incredible stopped a speeding subway train. Considering a train car weighs about 85200 pounds (research), times that by about 12 cars for the minimum 1022440 lbs in weight, or 463771kg rounded to make it easier to calculate the energy for a Brit like me. The speed of a typical subway train is around 25 mph.

kinetic energy = 1/2 x mass x speed2

463771 x 625 / 2 = 144928437.5 Joules. And that's not even counting the weight of the people on board the train as well.

Year 9 Physics actually gets some usage.

Clearly you've never seen Cape Mario. That dude can fly pretty damn fast, and his dive speed his huge.

Mario with arguably his fastest power up just about equals the speed of Incredible.

He's dodged cannons in many games, and I think it's fair to say that the reason they appear to move slow is because Mario is so damn fast. These canonballs/bullets have no self-propulsion and would normally start to lose altitude if they were actually moving at the velocity that they appear to have, but in nearly every game they continue on their original course indefinitely. Thus, it is fair to assume that these bullets/cannonballs have been fired at full speed, and Mario is just faster than they are.

A Koopa Troopa plodding along very slowly is approximately half the speed of Normal Mario without him running. Bullet Bills at about the same speed as walking Mario. Tortoises are not half the speed of bullets, whatever universe you're in.

So what you're saying is that because Incredible has survived blunt force trauma, he would be able to survive being burnt? Yes, he is extraordinarily strong, but fire doesn't play by the same rules as punches and kicks.

Like I said, it's a tough one to nail down. I'm not implying that Incredible is entirely flame-******ant. However, that's not to say that if he took a hit from a fireball, he would light up like a wicker man. I think his durability would allow him to take a lot of punishment, even from fire. There's no real proof for or against.

Not if Mario is firing at him from all angles with his superior speed.

Don't underestimate Incredible's speed.

Scroll down, it says under his list of powers that he is significantly faster than a normal human being. Slight is comparing him to Dash, who can run across water.

Usain Bolt isn't a normal human being. Usain Bolt is significantly faster than a normal human being. As such, I'd peg Incredible's speed at about the same as Bolt's.

Mr Incredible stopped a speeding subway train. Considering a train car weighs about 85200 pounds (research), times that by about 12 cars for the minimum 1022440 lbs in weight, or 463771kg rounded to make it easier to calculate the energy for a Brit like me. The speed of a typical subway train is around 25 mph.

kinetic energy = 1/2 x mass x speed2

463771 x 625 / 2 = 144928437.5 Joules. And that's not even counting the weight of the people on board the train as well.

Year 9 Physics actually gets some usage.

Impressive.

Mario deadlifted a friggin castle and lifts it into space.

Mario with arguably his fastest power up just about equals the speed of Incredible.

I'll take it.

A Koopa Troopa plodding along very slowly is approximately half the speed of Normal Mario without him running. Bullet Bills at about the same speed as walking Mario. Tortoises are not half the speed of bullets, whatever universe you're in.

Or maybe koopas move a lot quicker than we give them credit for?

Like I said, it's a tough one to nail down. I'm not implying that Incredible is entirely flame-******ant. However, that's not to say that if he took a hit from a fireball, he would light up like a wicker man. I think his durability would allow him to take a lot of punishment, even from fire. There's no real proof for or against.

I don't think he'd light up like a wicker man, but I certainly think it would harm him more than a few punches and kicks.

Don't underestimate Incredible's speed.

Don't underestimate Mario's everything.

Usain Bolt isn't a normal human being. Usain Bolt is significantly faster than a normal human being. As such, I'd peg Incredible's speed at about the same as Bolt's.

Usian's top speed is 27.3 mph, about as fast as a panther.

The average human running speed is 12-15mph.

I'd imagine super to be more than twice as much.

Impressive.

Mario deadlifted a friggin castle and lifts it into space.

I haven't played Super Mario Galaxy, but some research tells me that was Bowser, not Mario.

Or maybe koopas move a lot quicker than we give them credit for?

:icon_neutral:

Come on man. Tortoises are not going to half as quick as bullets. Not to mention, the Koopas aren't running, they're merely walking.

I don't think he'd light up like a wicker man, but I certainly think it would harm him more than a few punches and kicks.

I can agree with this, but it still would likely prove to be no more than an irritant.

Don't underestimate Mario's everything.

Mario's strength is in his vast number of power-ups, jumping ability and versatility. Otherwise, he's a just a jack of all trades, master of none.

The star is Mario's only true hope in this match, other than to simply buy time. Time that could however benefit Magneto, which makes this match so difficult to choose on.

Usian's top speed is 27.3 mph, about as fast as a panther.

The average human running speed is 12-15mph.

I'd imagine super to be more than twice as much.

That's a pretty arbitrary statement.

I haven't played Super Mario Galaxy, but some research tells me that was Bowser, not Mario.

I'm sorry, not Galaxy, Super Mario for the SNES. Here's the video.

[YOUTUBE]cMB3QbH2CQ4[/YOUTUBE]

Come on man. Tortoises are not going to half as quick as bullets. Not to mention, the Koopas aren't running, they're merely walking.

What's more likely? Super fast tortoises, or super slow bullets?

Mario's strength is in his vast number of power-ups, jumping ability and versatility. Otherwise, he's a just a jack of all trades, master of none.

You can't call him a master of none. Even if we disagree with which one of the two are stronger and faster, Mario certainly has a better vertical leap than Mr. Incredible, and that's going to be useful in this fight. He's also a fantastic go-kart driver.

The star is Mario's only true hope in this match, other than to simply buy time. Time that could however benefit Magneto, which makes this match so difficult to choose on.

I maintain that Mario can stand toe-to-toe with Incredible. I'd put Incredible's strength and durability somewhere around Bowser's, and Mario has been able to beat up on King Koopa.

That's a pretty arbitrary statement.

When describing superheros, super is never "twice as much". I know that's a bit of a weird way to put it, but Superman isn't twice as good as a normal human being as a perfect example.

I'm sorry, not Galaxy, Super Mario for the SNES. Here's the video.

[YOUTUBE]cMB3QbH2CQ4[/YOUTUBE]

I cant argue with that evidence, he chucked a castle. But why doesn't Mario use this strength all the time? Why doesn't he overpower his enemies all the time, things that would kill him in a few hits in that game, yet casually throw a castle?

Also, you exaggerated that a fair bit. You can even hear it hit the ground a few seconds later, without travelling too high.

What's more likely? Super fast tortoises, or super slow bullets?

There are projectiles that travel slowly.

Also, why are the tortoises are walking lackadaisically? Shouldn't they be using their speed to stop the guy that's been making their lives hell?

You can't call him a master of none. Even if we disagree with which one of the two are stronger and faster, Mario certainly has a better vertical leap than Mr. Incredible, and that's going to be useful in this fight. He's also a fantastic go-kart driver.

Mr. Incredible's primary superpower is super strength. He is seen bench-pressing locomotives and throwing boulders at speed, even in middle age. This gives him a leaping ability of a few stories, with corresponding agility.

Go-karting isn't Mario's primary weapon though. He'd be far more likely to fight on the ground, somewhere where's he even more comfortable.

I maintain that Mario can stand toe-to-toe with Incredible. I'd put Incredible's strength and durability somewhere around Bowser's, and Mario has been able to beat up on King Koopa.

Bowser is a incompetent brute, who can't even speak in most, if not nearly all of the Mario games, whereas Incredible, whilst not a genius, is a skilled strategist. What's more, Incredible's other powers trump the extra power of Bowser's fire breath by a fair margin.

When describing superheros, super is never "twice as much". I know that's a bit of a weird way to put it, but Superman isn't twice as good as a normal human being as a perfect example.

I don't think one earns the "super" label because they are exponentially superior than average.

I cant argue with that evidence, he chucked a castle. But why doesn't Mario use this strength all the time? Why doesn't he overpower his enemies all the time, things that would kill him in a few hits in that game, yet casually throw a castle?

He kind of does if you think about it. With one stomp he can kill almost anything, and if he wields his hammer he can destroy nearly anything with one-hit.

Either way, he has access to this kind of power, and if he's facing someone like Incredible, he's probably going to use it.

Also, you exaggerated that a fair bit. You can even hear it hit the ground a few seconds later, without travelling too high.

Yeah, I got mixed up.

There are projectiles that travel slowly.

Solid projectiles that maintain the same height that they are fired at? I'm not sure about that.

Also, why are the tortoises are walking lackadaisically? Shouldn't they be using their speed to stop the guy that's been making their lives hell?

I already explained: they aren't, they are just slow compared to how ridiculously fast Mario is running.

Mr. Incredible's primary superpower is super strength. He is seen bench-pressing locomotives and throwing boulders at speed, even in middle age. This gives him a leaping ability of a few stories, with corresponding agility.

That's great and all, but Mario can jump over buildings.

Go-karting isn't Mario's primary weapon though. He'd be far more likely to fight on the ground, somewhere where's he even more comfortable.

Twas a joke.

Bowser is a incompetent brute, who can't even speak in most, if not nearly all of the Mario games, whereas Incredible, whilst not a genius, is a skilled strategist. What's more, Incredible's other powers trump the extra power of Bowser's fire breath by a fair margin.

The idea that Bowser is stupid is built on wrong assumptions. Yes, his kidnapping plans are awful, but as Einstein said, "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Bowser has shown ability to use magic, effectively governs his kingdom, and plans a universe-wide conquest.

Furthermore, my point wasn't that Mario could outsmart Bowser, but rather that the fact that he's able to physically compete with Bowser is astonishing. Bowser has survived being dropped in lava (multiple times), and is widely considered to be the strongest character in the Mario Universe, and yet Mario has bested him physically on several occasions.

I don't think one earns the "super" label because they are exponentially superior than average.

Tell me why they are referred to as super then in your opinion.

He kind of does if you think about it. With one stomp he can kill almost anything, and if he wields his hammer he can destroy nearly anything with one-hit.

That's not so much Mario's strength. That's more his jumping prowess and the properties of the hammer.

Either way, he has access to this kind of power, and if he's facing someone like Incredible, he's probably going to use it.

So, when he's battling for his life, he never often uses this power, but for the BZT, he does? Both are battles for their life, but why is the BZT different?

Solid projectiles that maintain the same height that they are fired at? I'm not sure about that.

Everything has drop-off in real life due to gravity and momentum, including bullets and rockets.

I already explained: they aren't, they are just slow compared to how ridiculously fast Mario is running.

By your logic, the Mario universe is in slow motion. How can you prove this?

That's great and all, but Mario can jump over buildings.

How high and with assistance?

Twas a joke.

Figured, but it wasn't a bad point either.

The idea that Bowser is stupid is built on wrong assumptions. Yes, his kidnapping plans are awful, but as Einstein said, "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Bowser has shown ability to use magic, effectively governs his kingdom, and plans a universe-wide conquest.

Furthermore, my point wasn't that Mario could outsmart Bowser, but rather that the fact that he's able to physically compete with Bowser is astonishing. Bowser has survived being dropped in lava (multiple times), and is widely considered to be the strongest character in the Mario Universe, and yet Mario has bested him physically on several occasions.

Magic /=/ intelligence. Giygas from Earthbound was capable of using PSI, yet he had become an almighty idiot, absorbed by evil.

Governing his kingdom well is debatable. Despite the numbers of his army, and given chance after chance to defeat Mario by simply overwhelming him, he still cannot, and still fails every time. Not because Mario is too good, but Bowser doesn't even think of a hyper offensive strategy to overwhelm Mario.

And his plan failed again, at the hands of Mario. But here's the thing. Referring to another SNES game, FF6, a crazed clown in the form of Kefka (who needs to be in next year, awesome character), whilst not that strong, was tactical in ascending in power to become the god of magic. Bowser is stronger than Kefka before his ascension, yet he fails, and Kefka succeeds. Bowser planned, but he has a very poor grasp of tactics. Kefka did not, and thus he succeeded.

And Incredible has the strength of Bowser, and the tactics, maybe not quite of Kefka, but close.

Besting him physically does not mean jumping over his head and pulling a lever. That's tactics against a dragon, not physical strength.

Tell me why they are referred to as super then in your opinion.

Because they have achieved powers that most normal humans don't have.

Either way, this is a stupid argument.

That's not so much Mario's strength. That's more his jumping prowess and the properties of the hammer.

Have we ever seen anyone besides Mario use the hammer in canon? I can't recall.

Mario's jumping prowess comes as a result of his strength.

So, when he's battling for his life, he never often uses this power, but for the BZT, he does? Both are battles for their life, but why is the BZT different?

Sounds like a question you should ask Mario. I don't know why he doesn't use it, but clearly he can, and clearly it's not all that hard for him to use his super incredible strength.

Everything has drop-off in real life due to gravity and momentum, including bullets and rockets.

Yes, but in Mario the bullets and rockets don't have any drop-off.

By your logic, the Mario universe is in slow motion. How can you prove this?

I can't, but to be honest this whole thing started as a silly joke argument and I'm surprised we're still going on about it.

How high and with assistance?

Castle height and without assistance. Mario has been shown demolishing castles by jumping on them.

Magic /=/ intelligence. Giygas from Earthbound was capable of using PSI, yet he had become an almighty idiot, absorbed by evil.

So he was formerly smart but evil dumbed him down? That sounds like a point in my favor.

Governing his kingdom well is debatable. Despite the numbers of his army, and given chance after chance to defeat Mario by simply overwhelming him, he still cannot, and still fails every time. Not because Mario is too good, but Bowser doesn't even think of a hyper offensive strategy to overwhelm Mario.

1) Your interpretation of the Mario games is both hilarious and sad. Basically you feel that the Mario games are about a fairly average guy that is able to foil a super villain that has no idea how to stop him.

2) Are you telling me that there wasn't a single level in Mario where you struggled? A single time you had to keep replaying because you couldn't make a jump or get past a couple of Hammer Bros. or you kept getting overwhelmed by Latiku? Bowser put up some fine defenses, it's just that Mario has infinite chances to get past them.

3) Military strategy aside, Bowser clearly ran his kingdom effectively. His subjects never rebelled, he ruled with an iron fist, he split up land between his heirs and allowed them to govern it. That's pretty effective governance for someone you deem a bumbling idiot.

And his plan failed again, at the hands of Mario. But here's the thing. Referring to another SNES game, FF6, a crazed clown in the form of Kefka (who needs to be in next year, awesome character), whilst not that strong, was tactical in ascending in power to become the god of magic. Bowser is stronger than Kefka before his ascension, yet he fails, and Kefka succeeds. Bowser planned, but he has a very poor grasp of tactics. Kefka did not, and thus he succeeded.

And Incredible has the strength of Bowser, and the tactics, maybe not quite of Kefka, but close.

I'm not sure how much tactical prowess is going to matter in a two on two fight, and especially one where you've already conceded that Storm and Magneto are going to be so busy fighting each other, so essentially this is a one on one fight.

I'm not discounting intelligence and the value of having a calm mind in a fight: I'm just saying being able to execute a complex plan with the end result being world domination might not be the thing you'd want to hang your hat on when you're getting punched in the face.

Besting him physically does not mean jumping over his head and pulling a lever. That's tactics against a dragon, not physical strength.

Mario has had fights with Bowser where they physically engage each other, and Mario has won.

Because they have achieved powers that most normal humans don't have.

Either way, this is a stupid argument.

Kind of trivial, I agree.

Have we ever seen anyone besides Mario use the hammer in canon? I can't recall.

Baby Bowser and the Hammer Bros can, though the former I'm not sure is canon, and the latter is to throw it a considerable distance.

Mario's jumping prowess comes as a result of his strength.

Maybe in terms of height but killing a tortoise or Goomba by stamping on its skull is something anyone can do.

Sounds like a question you should ask Mario. I don't know why he doesn't use it, but clearly he can, and clearly it's not all that hard for him to use his super incredible strength.

Or it could mean his strength is simply an unknown factor that fluctuates.

Yes, but in Mario the bullets and rockets don't have any drop-off.

Exactly. Which proves how buggered physics is in the Mario world.

I can't, but to be honest this whole thing started as a silly joke argument and I'm surprised we're still going on about it.

I actually thought you were being somewhat serious :/.

Castle height and without assistance. Mario has been shown demolishing castles by jumping on them.

Just how stable was that castle, especially the baseplate?

So he was formerly smart but evil dumbed him down? That sounds like a point in my favor.

Yes, he was formerly smart and able to use magic. But he attained even more power by destroying his mind to become the embodiment of evil.

1) Your interpretation of the Mario games is both hilarious and sad. Basically you feel that the Mario games are about a fairly average guy that is able to foil a super villain that has no idea how to stop him.

Nothing like that. Mario's a huge threat with his power-ups and his jumping ability is prominent. But when the majority of your power is with your power-ups, and the vast majority don't do much at all to Incredible, then he simply can't win. Like I said, Mario can only really win here with a well-timed star, otherwise he's just buying time for Magneto.

2) Are you telling me that there wasn't a single level in Mario where you struggled? A single time you had to keep replaying because you couldn't make a jump or get past a couple of Hammer Bros. or you kept getting overwhelmed by Latiku? Bowser put up some fine defenses, it's just that Mario has infinite chances to get past them.

In canon, Mario succeeds every time, and he's never shown to have died in canon (unless something happened in one of the RPGs or something.). This is going to be hard to explain, but in canon, games recognise your success progress rather than your failure, or at least in games that don't break the 4th wall. You don't see anyone saying "Mario, I saw you die 23 times, congratulations on finally completing the level."

3) Military strategy aside, Bowser clearly ran his kingdom effectively. His subjects never rebelled, he ruled with an iron fist, he split up land between his heirs and allowed them to govern it. That's pretty effective governance for someone you deem a bumbling idiot.

For starters, Bowser's minions are even stupider than he is for the most part, and are fear mongered by the more powerful entity.

Also, splitting the land for his heirs to guard doesn't require THAT much intelligence. Some, but not that much.

I'm not sure how much tactical prowess is going to matter in a two on two fight, and especially one where you've already conceded that Storm and Magneto are going to be so busy fighting each other, so essentially this is a one on one fight.

I'm not discounting intelligence and the value of having a calm mind in a fight: I'm just saying being able to execute a complex plan with the end result being world domination might not be the thing you'd want to hang your hat on when you're getting punched in the face.

His plan was still not prepared for Mario though. After so many times, he would have started to think of some form of solid counter if he was smart.

Tactics are very important, even in a 1 on 1 fight. It's a little bit baseless, but that's all that needs to be said.

Mario has had fights with Bowser where they physically engage each other, and Mario has won.

You mean this?

[youtube]Yeo8KRizBqU[/youtube]

Bowser was far too slow. An impressive feat of strength, had proper physics existed.

Baby Bowser and the Hammer Bros can, though the former I'm not sure is canon, and the latter is to throw it a considerable distance.

I can't recall baby boswsers using the hammer, and Hammer Bros has hammers that they used for throwing that are entirely different than the hammer Mario used to bash things in. Mario also has access to the Hammer Bros hammers in Super Mario World 3.

Maybe in terms of height but killing a tortoise or Goomba by stamping on its skull is something anyone can do.

Yeah, but what about a castle? That's something only he and Luigi can accomplish. It's also worth mentioning that nobody can jump as high as Mario and the Weeg-man.

Or it could mean his strength is simply an unknown factor that fluctuates.

So at the very least he's strong enough to jump over giant pits, swing Bowser around like a ragdoll, and at the most he's able to effortlessly lift up a castle and kick it away? If his average strength lies somewhere in between there, I'd say you're dealing with one extraordinarily strong individual.

Exactly. Which proves how buggered physics is in the Mario world.

This argument isn't going anywhere really, but I think we can all agree that the physics of the Mario world are quite strange. That said, you can't discount his feats within his own universe.

I actually thought you were being somewhat serious :/.

Nah, I was just throwing it out there for lulz and then tried to see how far I could take it.

Just how stable was that castle, especially the baseplate?

I don't know, I don't have access to the blueprints. You'd have to talk to the architect.

Nothing like that. Mario's a huge threat with his power-ups and his jumping ability is prominent. But when the majority of your power is with your power-ups, and the vast majority don't do much at all to Incredible, then he simply can't win. Like I said, Mario can only really win here with a well-timed star, otherwise he's just buying time for Magneto.

I disagree. You continue to discount Mario's strength, which as I stated earlier, is enough to manhandle Bowser (who is probably just as strong, but also heavier than Incredible), and at its greatest is enough to throw a castle. That puts him at Incredible's level, and possibly even above Incredible.

In canon, Mario succeeds every time, and he's never shown to have died in canon (unless something happened in one of the RPGs or something.). This is going to be hard to explain, but in canon, games recognise your success progress rather than your failure, or at least in games that don't break the 4th wall. You don't see anyone saying "Mario, I saw you die 23 times, congratulations on finally completing the level."

Yes, I am aware of what canon means. What I'm pointing out is that Bowser's defenses are not as simple and foolish as you make them out to be. Yes, Mario has passed through them every time, but it's no walk in the park. The way is treacherous, and there are many places where Mario could have, and probably should have died. He succeeds, not because Bowser's defenses are poor, but because Mario is so damn good.

For starters, Bowser's minions are even stupider than he is for the most part, and are fear mongered by the more powerful entity.

Also, splitting the land for his heirs to guard doesn't require THAT much intelligence. Some, but not that much.

Tell that to King Lear.

His plan was still not prepared for Mario though. After so many times, he would have started to think of some form of solid counter if he was smart.

How many times has Dr. Doom been foiled by the Fantastic Four? How many times has Magneto been foiled by the X-Men? How many times has The Joker been foiled by Batman?

Do you consider any of those villains to be stupid?

Tactics are very important, even in a 1 on 1 fight. It's a little bit baseless, but that's all that needs to be said.

Here's an idea: considering Mario is used to fighting by himself, and Mr. Incredible is used to fighting as part of a duo or a team, wouldn't Mario be a better tactician for a one on one fight?

You mean this?

[youtube]Yeo8KRizBqU[/youtube]

Bowser was far too slow. An impressive feat of strength, had proper physics existed.

That, and all the other times Mario has gone toe to toe with Bowser. I'm pretty sure they have fought in combat at least half a dozen times.

Mr Incredible: Struggles to keep job as some insurance broker. Fired.

Mario: Carpenter, Plumber, Construction Worker, Referee, Trash man, Painter, Olympic Gold medalist and a Doctor. Need I go on? Oh he went to space, twice. Mario can breathe in space and underwater, can Mr Incredible? Can Storm?

Mario is slow? Don't be stupid.

Original SMB 1-1 is 190 blocks across, a block is the size of Mario. Mario's about my height so 1.73m. The level can be completed on average of 30 seconds. In 30 seconds Mario can run 328.7m. That's 657.4m a minute. That's 39444m an hour. That is 39.44km an hour.

As I'm British the miles equivalent is 24.5miles. Ussain Bolts top speed is 23.2MPH. Mario is faster than Ussain Bolt (this is a conservative estimate too at 30 seconds to complete the level).

Mario stays at that level of speed, he doesn't tire when running. He maintains that level.

I'm going to stop replying now, because we'll be arguing pointlessly, seeing as I think Magneto is going to win alone regardless.

Magneto has incapacitated Storm very quickly before with his ability to manipulate energy itself. Mr Incredible can only really chuck rocks at Magneto, which may damage him, but not to the point to destroy him. I say Mario holds off Incredible long enough that Magneto can beat a fully motivated Storm and focus on Incredible.

Whether Mario survives doesn't matter, Magneto bags this for the team IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back