• Daniel Bryan Goes Off On Michael Cole

• Kurt Angle Sends Soldiers After Mr. Anderson

• Jay Lethal vs. Ric Flair: The WOO Off

• Batista Explains Why He Hates Cena

• Miz Walks Through The Back Then Yells At MVP

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
It's not a category for no apparent reason so I'll add it. There are three more spots for write ins in case I forget something.

Edit: I withdraw that promo from a suggestion. The Promo where Nexus makes their public apology to the fans and Michael Tarver talks about how he has to do this to support his kids. Fucking great promo.

Batista explaining why he hated Cena. The seeds were planted in 2005 when Cena and Batista were traded for each other more and less and Batista was mad that Cena was perceived to be the face of the company and not him. Batista was golden as a heel on the mic and that promo proved it. He was succinct and to the point and came off great.

I can't believe that the Miz/MVP promo doesn't have more votes. Why don't we watch it, one more time?

I still hold that this is both men's best promo work to date. The Miz injects so much emotion as he shoots on JBL and how he used to be treated. MVP comes back firing, and both men have a pretty good back-and-forth.

I'm torn between the Woo off and Batista's hatred of John Cena. And how's the duct tape promo or his farewell speech not listed here?

Ummmm, hello?? The Woo Off was absolutely the best promo of the year! I honestly laughed out loud throughout the entire thing. It was masterful on both ends.

I can't believe that the Miz/MVP promo doesn't have more votes. Why don't we watch it, one more time?

I still hold that this is both men's best promo work to date. The Miz injects so much emotion as he shoots on JBL and how he used to be treated. MVP comes back firing, and both men have a pretty good back-and-forth.

This sums it up.

Guys, a promo is about engaging emotion and giving insight to the fans of what the wrestler feels and translating that into speech. Well, that and a verbal exchange that entertains the hell out of us. For that reason, the only promo that comes close is the Woo-off. That shit was hilarious.

But the Miz's promo is so underrated that it makes me sick. What he did was so difficult and masterful that it should make all of your heads spin. He did not stutter one word of the promo, did it on live television, included a partial "shoot" again specific wrestlers and partially pulled back the curtain of kayfabe during a time when the WWE almost forbids it, he started it in the back and walked it out to the middle of the ring and capped it off. Not many men have pulled off promos like this. Only a few names come to mind: CM Punk & The Rock. Think about that before voting for something that made you chuckle a few times.

Still KB it should be included. I can't believe Swagger made the list and Punk's promo did not. What did you see in the Swagger promo?

While there's probably a decent handful of the votes up there that beats it, I must admit I have a special love for Batista's promo on why he hates John Cena.

So, that's what I'm gonna go for.

I'd expect Punk to be listed at least four times, but he isn't listed even once. Mind-blowing.

My promo of the year is Punk's running Royal Rumble speech. I'm not sure if anybody's cut a running promo during the Royal Rumble before. At the very least, I can't recall one and, if they did, it's unlikely that it was that length. This is probably the longest promo nominated. The highlight? Punk trying to persuade Zack Ryder to join the Straight Edge Society, only to smack him in the face with the microphone mid-sentence. This outdoes The Miz's walking from backstage promo to be honest.

Runner-up would be Punk's promo in Chicago. It was followed by the ridiculousness of Punk jobbing to the fucking Big Show in his hometown, but it was concentrated genius. That crowd was putty in his hands. They came in loving him, cheering his mention of the Chicago skyline, etc. etc. and it ended with the vast majority of his hometown crowd booing him. It'd have been all of them but, you know, it's CM Punk, bitch!

Joint runner-up would be Punk cutting a promo on Rey Mysterio's daughter; singing happy birthday to her as she was lead backstage. Ice. Cold. The numerous straight edge conversion promos were also individually mind-blowingly, cock-erectingly good. WrestleZone, you've turned down the opportunity to be saved.

Of the promos on the list, well, I suppose Swagger's was the most surprising. It was a very accomplished promo and up until he started cutting it I had no idea he had it in him. Welp, he did. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

The one that I'll give my vote to is Daniel Bryan vs. Michael Cole. That was the first time I'd genuinely marked out since, well, the Royal Rumble promo - and I was watching it as a shitty quality, horribly compressed YouTube video. The only time I'd mark out harder would be when DBD made his triumphant return at SummerSlam, when I was shaking from a combination of caffeine and Daniel Bryan. "You can't even escape a handshake!" is deserving of a place on a t-shirt, frankly.

I went with the Miz's promo for all of the reasons as stated by D-Man and Doc already. This promo was delivered perfectly. No slip-ups at all. Very emotionally charged. A really nice blend of kayfabe and reality, because you have to think that some of what the Miz says has some basis in reality. The alleged hazing by JBL, the constant sentiment that as a reality TV star, he didn't belong in the WWE., etc., Even today, as the current WWE champion, I still don't think he is receiving the credit or the respect that he deserves, that he has earned.

There actually was a similar promo fairly recently actually delivered by the Miz which I enjoyed even more. Much along the same tone, about not receiving the credit he deserves. He talks about his reality TV history, being in the shadows of JoMo when they were tag champs, his reign as US champ, right up to his winning the MITB briefcase which he had not yet redeemed. This was my favorite promo of the year by far, but it was not listed , but the Miz promo listed was similar enough to earn the nod in my opinion.

Gotta go with Batista's promo because probably, that's the best promo of his entire career. Great stuff. He really let go, and bringing up the Austin passing the torch to Cena was fantastic too. And who can forget the iconic line ' Kissin' babies and hugging fat girls' :lmao:

And yes, I too am appalled at the absence of the Punk B'day promo.

But this list otherwise is good.

Punk begging for Giant Killer Rey Mysterio didn't excite you people? Punk telling The Great Khali that he could make him greater didn't excite you? What's wrong with you people?!

Give me Bryan's NXT promo for the win with Swagger and Batista as our runner ups.

Here, I found Punk's Royal Rumble promo. It's shitty quality and it's been flipped to avoid copyright, but it's undoubtedly awesome nonetheless. Please take note of how a CM Punk chant even starts up after Punk smacks Ryder in the head with the microphone. Still gives me chills:

[YOUTUBE]CqPLSmMH52Q[/YOUTUBE]

The Batista/Cena promo. Batista was over as a heel but this straight up made him the heel that we all wanted to see lose at WrestleMania. Batista' mic skills were practically shit on every time he grabbed a mic but damn he won us all over with this one promo.

[YOUTUBE]iKyh_yxdB18&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

The WOO off, its an 'instant classic' (pardon the old Christian Cage pun). Everytime I see Jay Lethal, I see him and think of him and Flair going face to face. How can you NOT like those two going at it? Typical Flair fashion, he's god, and Lethal is genius on the imitations, and the stylin and profilin on the ramp to get the old California Raisin man agitated. I still you tube it when I'm in a crappy mood. Good for a pick me up. :lol:

"They're not here to protect me. They're here to protect... you."

It's actually been a surprisingly good year for promos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back