• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Paul Heyman Would Have Made Bryan Danielson a Star in TNA?

I try not to give WW"e" credit for much, largely because they get credit for stuff they shouldn't and have long been every single thing their fanboys hate competition over. When it comes to marketing? They are second to none and it is the main reason they are the top dog. There's a reason the WWF and WW"e" have lost business the both times they have switched over to shorter, smaller, skinnier talent. There's also a reason guys like Hulk Hogan, Andre The Giant, Road Warriors, Ultimate Warrior, Rick Rude, The Rock, Triple H, Brock Lesnar, Bill Goldberg and Batista are some of THE biggest names in history. There's a reason why Benoit and Guerrero despite being short could go toe to toe with the big guys and it be believable.

Vanilla midgets like Daniel Bryan don't draw, no matter how much the IWC wishes it were so. Maybe if you add 30-50lbs of some muscle to him beefing up those 12" pythons of his and teach him how to work a mic he could eventually become a decent secondary guy. As it is though? No chance.

As for the aforementioned marketing, EVERY promotion wants to get huge. Sure you can have all types yes including the ROH types drawing 50 fans in Philly and broadcasting their shows in places like Mudlick Arkansas and Covington KY. On Saturday nights. At midnight. But if you want to get big? WW"e" level big? You gotta get some big guys to promote and tell the rest to hit the gym and show up with some muscle and some intensity. TNA wants to go forward to WW"e" level popularity, not backwards to ROH levels of hanging on by a thread.

Not to mention Bryan Danielson is taller then Eddie and only 1 inch shorter then Benoit. He could get a shot at a World Title in WWE. He just needs more muscle mass, and needs a more serious persona.

Not to mention Bryan Danielson is taller then Eddie and only 1 inch shorter then Benoit. He could get a shot at a World Title in WWE. He just needs more muscle mass, and needs a more serious persona.

Eddie: 5'8", 215lbs.
Benoit: 5'9", 215lbs
Bryan: 5'8", 170lbs(I know, I know, his billed weight is 195lbs. Bullshit. I'm an inch taller and 200lbs and more than twice his size and WAS his side at about 160lbs, so going 170 is being generous)

Hell lets throw Taz in there too since this is a rehash of that gimmick.
Taz: 5'8", 225lbs.(Blah blah I know WWE billed him as 5'9", 250lbs, again, bullshit. He stated numerous times in ECW he was 5'8" of pissed off and billed as between 220-230lbs which sounds about right)

Notice the difference? Nearly all 50lbs of it? He needs ALOT more muscle mass to believable as some shoot wrestling badass that taps everyone out in under a minute. Sure he could stay the same and get a W.T. shot in the WWE, then again so can out of shape failed Hollywood actors so that isn't saying much.

Anyways my point was and is unless you hook Daniel Bryan up with Scott Steiner for 2 years and DON'T drug test him the whole badass thing won't work and he isn't going to be a big draw.

Eddie: 5'8", 215lbs.
Benoit: 5'9", 215lbs
Bryan: 5'8", 170lbs(I know, I know, his billed weight is 195lbs. Bullshit. I'm an inch taller and 200lbs and more than twice his size and WAS his side at about 160lbs, so going 170 is being generous)

Hell lets throw Taz in there too since this is a rehash of that gimmick.
Taz: 5'8", 225lbs.(Blah blah I know WWE billed him as 5'9", 250lbs, again, bullshit. He stated numerous times in ECW he was 5'8" of pissed off and billed as between 220-230lbs which sounds about right)

Notice the difference? Nearly all 50lbs of it? He needs ALOT more muscle mass to believable as some shoot wrestling badass that taps everyone out in under a minute. Sure he could stay the same and get a W.T. shot in the WWE, then again so can out of shape failed Hollywood actors so that isn't saying much.

Anyways my point was and is unless you hook Daniel Bryan up with Scott Steiner for 2 years and DON'T drug test him the whole badass thing won't work and he isn't going to be a big draw.

Hell or even stick him with an old Indie buddy of his named Davey Richards who would help give him muscle.

I try not to give WW"e" credit for much, largely because they get credit for stuff they shouldn't and have long been every single thing their fanboys hate competition over. When it comes to marketing? They are second to none and it is the main reason they are the top dog. There's a reason the WWF and WW"e" have lost business the both times they have switched over to shorter, smaller, skinnier talent. There's also a reason guys like Hulk Hogan, Andre The Giant, Road Warriors, Ultimate Warrior, Rick Rude, The Rock, Triple H, Brock Lesnar, Bill Goldberg and Batista are some of THE biggest names in history. There's a reason why Benoit and Guerrero despite being short could go toe to toe with the big guys and it be believable.

Vanilla midgets like Daniel Bryan don't draw, no matter how much the IWC wishes it were so. Maybe if you add 30-50lbs of some muscle to him beefing up those 12" pythons of his and teach him how to work a mic he could eventually become a decent secondary guy. As it is though? No chance.

As for the aforementioned marketing, EVERY promotion wants to get huge. Sure you can have all types yes including the ROH types drawing 50 fans in Philly and broadcasting their shows in places like Mudlick Arkansas and Covington KY. On Saturday nights. At midnight. But if you want to get big? WW"e" level big? You gotta get some big guys to promote and tell the rest to hit the gym and show up with some muscle and some intensity. TNA wants to go forward to WW"e" level popularity, not backwards to ROH levels of hanging on by a thread.

The thing is, to succeed in wrestling sure it's great if you look like a million bucks but Billy Gunn looked great and he sucked. The Great Khali is a giant and he sucks. They failed because they were average and I think what works in wrestling is when a wrestler have something special to offer. Someone that is different from the rest. And the mat wrestling element from Danielson is something he has over a lot of people. It's what makes him interesting and different. Furthermore it's a sort of breed of wrestling that could be greater exploited and become even more successful. Hell Ken Shamrock and Goldberg almost touched upon in their way to success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back