Part Time Christians

SSJPhenom

The Phenom of WZ
I don't know if anyone knows this about me or if anyone cares, but I can't stand hypocrisy. Like, I hate it with a passion.

So, Saturday, my gf and I joined her family for a night out to celebrate her sister's 21st birthday. First there was bowling and dinner with the family. After that, the older ones and the younger ones left and we all went and really partied. So my gf's sister is a lesbian and she's out to everyone. Her gf joined us for the evening and night. At dinner, a huge argument erupted between my gf's sister and their father over her lifestyle and of course, being a self proclaimed man of god and very very conservative, he went there. "It says in the bible that what you're doing is a sin. You're going to hell if you continue. Blah blah blah." Why did I tell you that story? I told you that because he said all of that with shrimp, lobster, and crab on his plate, a mixed rum and coke in his glass, and a visible tattoo on his forearm.

Why is all that important? It's important because in Leviticus, you know the book in the bible that everyone loves to throw at gays, it also says if it lives in water and doesn't have both fins and scales that it is unclean and an abomination, it says not to cut or mark your body, and not to introduce toxins into your body. I don't understand how so many so called christians can condemn the actions of so many people (not just their sexuality) and yet they don't live by the parameters that themselves have set. So many so called christians pick and choose what parts of the bible they're going to follow and what parts to ignore and that's inconceivable to me. Like, you can't be a doctor and pick and choose which parts of the Hippocratic Oath you're going to follow. Either you are or you aren't. And I understand when someone says they're trying to be a christian that they're not perfect. Nobody is, however, when you're trying to be a christian then you should try to follow all of the teachings of the bible. Not just the ones that fit your mood at any given time.

That's why they're part time christians. On Sunday and in front of everybody else, they're so called christians. Behind closed doors, though, they're probably more dirty and vile than most other people.

What do you guys think about part time christians? Let me know your opinions.

I think it goes way beyond faith, not that any Theists would ever admit as much.

Speaking purely on the hypocrisy of Christian's who assume that homosexuality is sinful, they're really grasping at straws to validate that assumption. Your basic Christian Bible is more vague than the US Constitution when it comes to using it as a rule book on life, nowhere in the King James Bible does it explicitly state that homosexuality is sinful. Also; (not trying to get too far off topic) nowhere in the King James Bible is Jesus quoted as saying "I am the son of God" which is the basis for every branch of Christianity out there.

Homosexuality makes some people queasy; I'm of the opinion that with how varied a random human being's mind can be, we're all more or less able to be aroused by someone of the same gender.

Some people are outright disgusted by the idea of sharing intimate contact with someone of the same gender, and instead of exploring the psychological reasoning behind their disgust they instead choose to push their disposition onto everyone else as a cheap attempt to validate their egos. Some people act outright disgusted by the idea of sharing intimate contact with someone of the same gender as a coping mechanism for often finding themselves aroused sexually by someone of the same gender.

If you've ever had to argue with a psych major, you know full well that most people who deem themselves as having above average status in society will lock up and shut you out if you expose a part of them that conflicts with their own expectations of those around them. I bring up a psych major as an example because their tactics tend to utilize "I'm sorry you feel that way" and "I respect what you're saying, but in the same breath..", which fall into the same category of bullshit that I'd put someone who hides behind the Bible to justify their conflicting morals. They're telling you to see things their way, through their patronizing refusal to see things your way.

If homosexuality didn't bother them for a different reason, they'd probably realize that they had bigger fish to fry in regard to ways that their two thousand year old excessively revised religious charter has told them to live their lives.

I think that most people who practice a religion will conceivably be a part-timer. They're definitely not living their lives exactly as their chosen prophet had dictated, even then if religious practices have taught me anything it's that the biggest sin is getting caught and the second biggest sin is not being able to come up with a good enough excuse.

I think it goes way beyond faith, not that any Theists would ever admit as much.

Speaking purely on the hypocrisy of Christian's who assume that homosexuality is sinful, they're really grasping at straws to validate that assumption. Your basic Christian Bible is more vague than the US Constitution when it comes to using it as a rule book on life, nowhere in the King James Bible

Oh, the 100th revision of that same book, with major edits?

nowhere in the King James Bible is Jesus quoted as saying "I am the son of God" which is the basis for every branch of Christianity out there.

Nor does he ever claim to be the physical embodiement of God.

I am just furthering ED's point that of course people will be hypocritical and part-time, since so many holy texts are super vaugue, and edited every which way....and this is because from the start, organized religion has been a way for the haves to control have-nots.

From the top all the way down, its used as a way for people to justify what they are doing or thinking along with belonging to a group who is like-minded with no way to definitively prove them right or wrong.

1) The Bible reads "Thou Shalt Not Judge", so if you do..... Tell him judging on God's behalf is a worse sin.

2) That's not what a "part-time" Christian means.

It sounds like his problem may not be hypocrisy, it may be a guy who doesn't like the fact his daughter is a lesbian so he uses any bullshit argument he can think of. There's a very good chance he's not hypocritical but simply ignorant (which in my opinion is much worse). Alot of people who quote the bible really have never taken the time to actually read it, absorb it, understand the context in which it was written, etc. Most Christians I've met never actually read it, they've just heard others preach it, they hear certain things they like (such as homosexuality is a sin) and because it's in the bible (supposedly) they feel they have a leg to stand on when they don't really know. Religion is dangerous when people blindly follow which is more often than not the situation with religion due to various reasons. I'm guessing there's a good chance their dad falls into that category and uses the bible to back up his point, completely oblivious to the other 2000+ pages. At the end of the day it's just a bad idea to use a holy book to justify how you feel. The answer never should be "because the bible says so" which is why this war against homosexuality is beyond ludicrous. Religion isn't meant to be a history book, it's supposed to be a guide to live a better life, it's not meant to be taken completely in context. That what it's all about, be a good person, do good things and you will be rewarded in this life and the next, there's nothing good about bashing gays and lesbians and to suggest otherwise is just plain wrong.

All in all I don't have an issue with the father drinking and getting tatted up while quoting the bible but I have a big issue with using the bible to justify being an asshole to his daughter. I don't care who you are, there is no justification for that.

The problem too many Christians have is that they appoint themselves as messengers of God and proclaim righteousness by quoting passages from the Bible.

Killjoy mentioned what is ironically one of the most well known, yet conventionally forgotten passages of the Bible, conveniently forgotten when the situation seems to suit. Christians aren't supposed to judge others, especially in the name of God. The Book Of Matthew, Chapter 7, Verses 1-5 reads:

"Judge not, that ye be not judged.
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see
clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."

Now, the Bible is, in various places, one of the most difficult to understand texts ever written with such broad interpretations that it's difficult to know what's what. I mean, there are examples of some passages that are completely contradictory to something that's written somewhere else. If you try to live your life exactly by what's in the Bible, it's enough to bring about schizophrenia in somebody. However, this little tidbit from Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, which has become known as "The Mote and The Beam", is one of the easiest to understand and warns against hypocrisy and self-righteousness. Multiple passages within the Bible all but come right out and claim that if there was one thing Jesus couldn't abide by, it's hypocrisy.

Just because someone is a Christian doesn't give them license to go about pointing fingers in everyone else's faces to condemn them for who they are, what they believe in or how they live their lives. Is it possible to spread the Gospel by not coming off like a bigoted hypocrite? It certainly is and the way to do it is by spreading it to those who want to hear it, explaining why you believe what you believe, why you feel the way you feel, helping to explain certain teachings that they might be curious about & not understand. Some will be interested and that's great; some of them won't and that's great too because it's all about choice because choice and free will were what Jesus is all about in the Bible.

Now, does that mean that the OP's girlfriend's sister will go to hell for her choices? There are passages in the Bible that suggest so but, then again, there are also passages in the Bible that suggest her father will be condemned for his own violations. When it's all said & done, people have to ultimately make up their own minds as to what they believe in or don't believe in; threatening them or trying to scare them into accepting your religious beliefs almost always seems to have the opposite effect of what you were hoping for, at least in my experience. This man's daughter is gay, he has to come to grips with it or risk not having her be part of his life. I have a 9 year old niece and if she comes out in 10 years or so as gay, I'm going to love and support her every bit as much as I do now. If we're judged when we pass from this life, and I believe that we are, if God welcomes homosexuals into Paradise, then who am I to complain? If God doesn't, then that's God's decision; it's GOD'S place and right to pass judgment, not mine or anyone else's. If I'm entirely wrong, then I'm wrong and that's all there is to it; I won't know until it's my time.

Her dad is an idiot. Yes, in Leviticus it does say that homosexuals will not inherit the kingdom of God. But elsewhere in the Bible, it also tells you not to judge and that he who lives in a glass house would be ill-advised to throw stones (not the exact wording but oh well). It also warns against drinking to excess and marking up your body because it is a temple for God.

I myself go by the philosophy of live and let live. I may disagree with your lifestyle or your choices, but I'll never try to judge you for it because I'm not perfect.

It sounds to me like her dad was being an asshole and needed a reason to justify it. He's your typical hypocrite, it's just best to ignore him. The more attention you give him, the louder and more obnoxious he'll become.

I worked with a Church once, and yes most of the people there were wearing clothing of mixed fabrics, but what really surprised me was how many were having sex with each other before marriage, considering that they were preaching it in the youth sermons. When I asked one of the Christian staff about it, she admitted that she was "living in sin" but continued having sex with her boyfriend. She also cheated on him once, but they are now engaged, so I hope she repented

I also took a class once with a Muslim girl who was a big drinker.

When you think about it, Christianity is a sin itself. Jesus Christ sought to end religion, and his biggest message was to be yourself. Christianity means to be Christ-like, which would make you far from being yourself if you're spending everyday to be like Christ. The way I see it, everyone has their own beliefs in life and we're not going to change that. No amount of mass murders, religious intolerance, or anything is going to change that. It's not our place to tell people who they should worship (if anyone at all), who they should love, what they should where, or what they do to their own body as long as it's not causing self harm. I don't see how people can't grasp that concept. But like I said, let them be them.

When you think about it, Christianity is a sin itself. Jesus Christ sought to end religion, and his biggest message was to be yourself. Christianity means to be Christ-like, which would make you far from being yourself if you're spending everyday to be like Christ. The way I see it, everyone has their own beliefs in life and we're not going to change that. No amount of mass murders, religious intolerance, or anything is going to change that. It's not our place to tell people who they should worship (if anyone at all), who they should love, what they should where, or what they do to their own body as long as it's not causing self harm. I don't see how people can't grasp that concept. But like I said, let them be them.

Technically, Christianity isn't about religion, it's about having a relationship with God through Jesus. Being Christ-like doesn't necessarily mean to not be yourself, it's to strive to be as sinless as Jesus. That in and of itself is unattainable, but the key word is strive. It's also not about telling people who to worship. A lot of so called Christians get this mixed up. You don't take your faith and shove it down peoples' throats, you tell them the gospel and the rest is up to them. Our job as Christians is to spread the gospel, not beat people into believing as we do. Me personally, if you ask me, I'll tell you what I believe and why but if you don't, then I won't. Live and let live I always say. What people do is up to them. God gave us free will for a reason. We have the choice to follow Christ or not.

It sounds like his problem may not be hypocrisy, it may be a guy who doesn't like the fact his daughter is a lesbian so he uses any bullshit argument he can think of. There's a very good chance he's not hypocritical but simply ignorant (which in my opinion is much worse). Alot of people who quote the bible really have never taken the time to actually read it, absorb it, understand the context in which it was written, etc. Most Christians I've met never actually read it, they've just heard others preach it, they hear certain things they like (such as homosexuality is a sin) and because it's in the bible (supposedly) they feel they have a leg to stand on when they don't really know. Religion is dangerous when people blindly follow which is more often than not the situation with religion due to various reasons. I'm guessing there's a good chance their dad falls into that category and uses the bible to back up his point, completely oblivious to the other 2000+ pages. At the end of the day it's just a bad idea to use a holy book to justify how you feel. The answer never should be "because the bible says so" which is why this war against homosexuality is beyond ludicrous. Religion isn't meant to be a history book, it's supposed to be a guide to live a better life, it's not meant to be taken completely in context. That what it's all about, be a good person, do good things and you will be rewarded in this life and the next, there's nothing good about bashing gays and lesbians and to suggest otherwise is just plain wrong.

All in all I don't have an issue with the father drinking and getting tatted up while quoting the bible but I have a big issue with using the bible to justify being an asshole to his daughter. I don't care who you are, there is no justification for that.
If I'm doing this right, because I'm relatively a new poster, I appreciate this comment. Have I read the Bible from cover to cover? Hell no! Do I believe it all? Nope

I come from the background of this: I don't judge anyone, unless they are an asshole. If you're good to me, I'll be good to you. If you're an asshole, then you are on your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back