[Official] Dragon Ball Z Thread

I always wondered why everyone had such a nasty habit of holding back. You'd think they'd go all out and try to end it quick. Like Frieza blowing up planet Vegeta.

My favorite moment of the series:

[youtube]c1aLUsjEeDY[/youtube]

I love the music that was playing while he was doing it.

[QUOTE="iMPACT! Player" Riaku;2411671]Really hated, but I mean REALLY HATED how badly Gohan's character was messed up following the Cell saga. He was a total badass. Just watch Bojack Unbound. How could you, Akira?[/QUOTE]

First off Bojack was a MOVIE, it has no bearing on the anime whatsoever as the Manga is what the anime is based off of. Second I agree with you, but this is Japan we're talking about, for all we know they loved it. You also have to consider several things.

1: Toriama planned on ending it after Cell Saga leaving Gohan as the hero, he was forced to come back which messed up the story(once again). He then came to a realization as hes said that Gohan wasnt really suited for that position and everyone still wanted to see Goku.

2: For the characters and the story it makes sense. After Cell saga they though it was the end because as Goku said his enemies will no longer come to Earth to fight him. Gohan at this point just wanted to become a normal kid and so this is why he went to HS and tried to be one. He then wasnt able to help himself due to his past as a hero and so he created a hero persona to fight crime(Smalltime yes but he had no reason to suspect anything bad would ever happen to him again). Also Gohan hadnt trained in years due to the same reasons.

3: Once Buu and the others came Gohan was weaker, this was also aided by him being drained at the tournament. So when he fought Debora it made sense that he wasnt able to beat him to a pulp, especially considering Debora was probably stronger than Cell. Also Buu, your new bad guy to arrive had just come onto the scene, so what was the best way to get him over? Thats right, brutally beat the hero of the last saga and the god of the universe to a bloody pulp and outperform him in every way.

Also you must consider that Buu makes Cell look like an insect, there is no feasible way to have Gohan stand a chance against him, thus his loss makes perfect sense. Also it makes perfect sense as to why Vegeta(even though he would later be beaten brutally and forced to blow himself up which still didnt work) and Goku stood a better chance. Goku had been training in Heaven with fighters from across the universe and created his Super Saiyan 3 and Vegeta got a big power increase from the Majin symbol.

4: And heres one that works against the whole "Gohan was reduced to a pussy or was ruined", he became THE STRONGEST CHARACTER IN THE SERIES. He was made a huge part of the saga and was thought to be the most powerful by Supreme Kai and their last hope of beating Buu. Gohan then pulled the DBZ version of the Sword of Superman, trained with it, released Old Kai and went mystic. When he returned it was like SS2 Gohan vs Cell all over again and he brutally beat Super Buu until he absorbed a SS3 and Picolo. So it took Super Buu with an SS3 and Piccolo combined just to put Gohan down.

Gohan would soon be absorbed and die, but I feel that Toriama did a good job throwing this curve ball into the series and making the ending about desperation and pulling all of the stops just to beat Buu rather than a superior fighter stopping him. It took literally everyone and everything to stop Buu, including the Dragon Balls after Buu grabbed the massive spirit bomb and decided to run towards Goku with it, which really brought the series full circle, because the Dragonballs for which the series is named for were once again important.

So I dont think they really messed up. Sure it would have been cooler to see Gohan grow up to be just like his father and be the hero of the Earth, but in the end it doesnt matter. Goku flew off to train the reincarnated Buu(Uub) as the next guardian and the series ended.

My favorite moment of the series:

[youtube]c1aLUsjEeDY[/youtube]

I love the music that was playing while he was doing it.

This was awesome, one of my favorite moments.

I'll get more in depth later but this was my favorite show as a kid. Toonami ftw.
The was a rumor the man in charge of CN was going to resign so we may get Toonami back.

If I had to pick a list of my favorite characters of the show it would be:

1. Gohan
2. Future Trunks
3. Goku
4. Vegeta
5. Bardock

Bardock was awesome, I kind of wish he was in the series more. they should have had Goku meet him in Heaven after the Cell Games.

My Top 5:

1. Vegeta
2. Piccolo
3. Cell
4. Hercule
5. Goku

Also, today's moment of the day:

Krillin's First Death

[YOUTUBE]2tXNjlonqcs&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​

My top 5 would probably be

1. Yamcha
2. Tien
3. Krillin
4. Trunks
5. Goku

I always preferred the non saiyans with Goku and Trunks being the exception.

I've watched DragonBall Z for as long as I can remember and I've got quite alot of season boxsets of it on DVD!

My favourite characters though, would have to be:

1. Teen Gohan
2. Goku
3. Cell
4. Janemba
5. Android 16

My favourite saga is easily the Cell ones. They were the most epic, scariest, worth watching sagas out of all of them. Cell lasted for 3 saga's come on. He was easily the longest running Villain next to Buu. Cell was scarier though.

Remember the episode where they go to hell, and the American dub bowdlerized it to HFIL (Home For Infinite Losers)? :lmao:

Remember the episode where they go to hell, and the American dub bowdlerized it to HFIL (Home For Infinite Losers)? :lmao:

Yes, haha. God, when Goku fell off Snakeway it was just literally hell for like 10 episodes lmao. It made it that much worse because the two dudes that were always around Goku (Goz and Mez) were incredibly annoying.

Doc, what was your favourite saga and why? :)

I liked Dead Zone too. Lord Slug and Fusion Reborn were favourites of mine as well.

Although even the movies were prone to ruining potentially great moments by having fighters be or become too powerful - Broli is perhaps the biggest culprit along with the defeat af Janemba that I mentioned eslewhere

I'll admit I haven't watched Lord Slug in a looooooooong time. I should re-watch it once I've completed my run to the Cell Games. Fusion Reborn was entertaining. As you said the 3-D Effect was very nice. I like Janemba (even though he was a Buu clone) and his lightsaber-esc sword was pretty awesome.

Parts of the fight with Janemba were some of the best of DBZ; first with SSJ3 Goku living with him and then Vegeta using Janemba's teleporting skills against him.

I just wish that Gogeta/Janemba would have gone on longer

I mentioned the Buu saga earlier, and here's another one of my favorite moments from that time in DBZ history:

[YOUTUBE]m088ZmboBgU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​

And things got even better when Goku and Vegeta fought Buu inside of himself. It was just awesome on so many levels.

[QUOTE="iMPACT! Player" Riaku;2411671]Really hated, but I mean REALLY HATED how badly Gohan's character was messed up following the Cell saga. He was a total badass. Just watch Bojack Unbound. How could you, Akira?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter, he stil ends up the strongest nonfused character in the canon series by allot.

If anyone likes to read DBZ fanfiction, my story Out of Shell (which features Gohan and Videl) has several new chapters

Chichi is actually one of my favorite characters in the series; it's a shame that she doesn't do much in DBZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back