MTV's Wrestling Society X

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just watched it and it does have potential. the ring announcer annoys the crap out of me as he just doesnt stay still!!!! but it was pretty good, could do with being longer but good enough for a half hour show

There's 3 matches in tonight's episode. The main event is awesome until the end with the cheesy explosion(i wont ruin it for no one). Seems wsx could become more ecw-like than the new ecw is.

I won't spoil the results, but there's about three matches tonight.

Luke Hawx (altar Boy Luke) vs Human Tornado
That 70's team vs Team Dragon Gate
Vampiro vs 6-Pac

The main event was a good match... The ending was, well, it was different.

when did you guys watch it. i only found it at 10:30

source: WrestlingObserver.com

The Friday night (February 2) "preview" airing of the second episode of Wrestling Society X drew a final 0.5 cable rating. That is up from last week's 0.43 preview show on Friday.

On a related note, it will be very interesting to see how WSX follows up ratings wise tonight on MTV after debuting with an impressive 1.0 rating last week. As it did last week, the show will be going head-to-head with the last 30 minutes of ECW on Sci Fi.

credit: WrestleZone.com

I watched the first episode..All those cheesy explosions and bad matches nearly made me wet my pants. It was just lame. That main event....they had multiple cheesy explosions and some dude electricfied? Nah, WSX is too much of a cartoon sideshow for me.

source: WrestlingObserver.com

The Friday night (February 2) "preview" airing of the second episode of Wrestling Society X drew a final 0.5 cable rating. That is up from last week's 0.43 preview show on Friday.

On a related note, it will be very interesting to see how WSX follows up ratings wise tonight on MTV after debuting with an impressive 1.0 rating last week. As it did last week, the show will be going head-to-head with the last 30 minutes of ECW on Sci Fi.

credit: WrestleZone.com

thanx ace

The show stinks. It's not even about the wrestling it's about doing something in the ring to get pops from the crowd, and that's "all" it's about. It's about the pops. Wrestling is suppose to be about competition not about entertaining guys trying to get an adrenaline rush through watching some wrestlers do something in the ring that they think is "cool" and then daydreaming about how cool it would be if they could do that in a wrestling ring and cause someone else in the audience to think that was cool and then daydream about how cool it would be if they could do that, get an adrenaline rush and then cause someone else in the audience to think that’s cool and then daydream about how cool it would be to do that and get an adrenaline rush and cause someone else in the audience to think that’s cool and then daydream about how cool it would be to do that in a ring, get in adrenaline rush and cause someone in the audience to think that’s cool and then daydream about how cool it would be if they could to that, get an adrenaline rush and cause.... You get my point. Yes indeed, its an endless cycle that has no point. O wait, I'm sorry, it does have a point, to get an adrenaline rush. My bad. This type of "wrestling" serves the purpose of entertaining those types of personality’s which seek "Rushes" through various mediums such as skateboarding,drugs,choking,beerbashing and various other forms of getting "highs." LMAO It’s SILLY!!!!

P.S. If any of you are wondering why I have not finished some of my previous debates with people on this site from a few months ago it is because I've been without a computer and that's the "only" reason why.
And now I am in collage and backed up with homework so my hands are still tied. I will not be making more than at the most 2 replays tomorrow night. That and checking to see if this thread has been locked/removed for making it twice. lol

soulrebel my replay commands are not working but I couldn't agree with you more. It just gos to show that just because its extreme dosent always mean it's good. It possible a show could be extreme in a bad way.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=22829&p=1

WRESTLING SOCIETY X TONIGHT TO BE REPEAT, NEW EPISODE TO PREMIERE TUESDAY
by Mike Johnson @ 3:49:00 PM on 2/9/2007

Tonight's airing of Wrestling Society X will be a repeat. The third WSX episode will premiere on Tuesday at 10:30 PM. From this point on, all new episodes will debut on Tuesdays, likely in an attempt to maximize the rating for the series on Tuesdays.

For more on WSX, visit www.WSX.MTV.com.

so I have a question about WSX, will they ever have PPVs?, I'm guessing no since they are on mtv, but I would like to see some short of ppv type show from them, maybe every couple months they could do a two hour special or something, have air live

I have spoken personally to Alkatrazz, Luke Hawx (from my hometown), Youth Suicide (born in my home state), Fabian Kaelin, Joey Ryan, Lil' Cholo, and Markus Riot, online (MySpace/AIM) and, in one case, over the phone.

I know for a fact that, eventually, Wrestling Society X will hold pay-per-view events once they get a few seasons in. This comes after their 1 hour timeslot, which will put them head to head with ECW on Sci-Fi. Once they get rolling after the PPV's, they're considering doing house shows by themselves. The "test" cards with UWF are a foreshadowing of the possible success of stand-alone WSX house shows.

Also, the WSX Tag Team Titles will be introduced next season and a secondary WSX title belt (possibly Television or Light-Heavyweight) by Season 3. Now, that isn't all that much info, but it's all true.

who says the show will survive for more then a season or two?

After a while it get repetitive to watch 2 five minute matches with camera angle changes so fast it could cause a seizure.

we also have to remeber this is an MTV product MTV has had success with shows about over paid over sexed teens living in sunny locations, not wrestling. We will see but i just dont see WSX being around very long

who says the show will survive for more then a season or two?

After a while it get repetitive to watch 2 five minute matches with camera angle changes so fast it could cause a seizure.

we also have to remeber this is an MTV product MTV has had success with shows about over paid over sexed teens living in sunny locations, not wrestling. We will see but i just dont see WSX being around very long

exactly, this is MTV, the channel that will run any show that gains remotly any success for an eterinity, for example remember the Osbournes, that show should've ended after like two seasons, but no that ran for likefucking five, and lets not forget about all ther real world/road rules crap that has been on MTV since the beginning of time, I don't think 3 seasons will be a problem for WSX, as long as it gets ratings it will be on the air

I don't think 3 seasons will be a problem for WSX, as long as it gets ratings it will be on the air
Hopefully it makes it to 3 seasons but when/if the show is canceled it will be ran into the ground ala jackass ,beavis and butthead .etc..older shit that got canned but still gets ratings so the show reruns for forever and a day.

nightmare13 said:
I know for a fact that, eventually, Wrestling Society X will hold pay-per-view events once they get a few seasons in. This comes after their 1 hour timeslot, which will put them head to head with ECW on Sci-Fi. Once they get rolling after the PPV's, they're considering doing house shows by themselves. The "test" cards with UWF are a foreshadowing of the possible success of stand-alone WSX house shows.

Also, the WSX Tag Team Titles will be introduced next season and a secondary WSX title belt (possibly Television or Light-Heavyweight) by Season 3. Now, that isn't all that much info, but it's all true.

you know for a fact? can i see some reputable source? or was that a pure smark comment?

you know for a fact? can i see some reputable source? or was that a pure smark comment?

Yes, I do know for a fact. Haha... A "smark comment". I might be a smark, but I don't mouth off unless I know 100% what I'm talking about.

My "reputable source" as far as that info is concerned is an interview with Big Vision Entertainment owner and WSX head producer Kevin Kleinrock. The highlights of the interview are here: http://www.gerweck.net/news/1170691755.shtml

The actual audio interview was done on Wrestling Observer Live. I'm sure you can find the podcast somewhere. As far as the belts, I was told the exact same thing by Youth Suicide and Fabian Kaelin. Markus Riot also told me that MTV has called him back to tape matches in March. That set of tapings this March will be used for Season 2, if MTV picks it up.

If not, Big Vision Entertainment is a DVD distribution company. So, Wrestling Society X will get out to the masses one way or another.

i wasn't mouthing off.Not too long ago there was an influx of n00bs and lowpostcounters reading deliberately and so damn unbelivable "news links" leading to the forums that would swear w/e bullshit lead them here was gonna happen and took it as straight fact when it was plain to anyone with half a brain it was a load of shit in the first place.i wasn't calling you a smark..yet.i was seeing if there was some credibility in what you said and a viewable source.

i wasn't mouthing off.Not too long ago there was an influx of n00bs and lowpostcounters reading deliberately and so damn unbelivable "news links" leading to the forums that would swear w/e bullshit lead them here was gonna happen and took it as straight fact when it was plain to anyone with half a brain it was a load of shit in the first place.i wasn't calling you a smark..yet.i was seeing if there was some credibility in what you said and a viewable source.

Yeah, I gotcha dude. I never said you were mouthing off, man, it's cool. No problems here. Hope the info helped, though.

This show is so AWESOME the abilty of these guys is just crazy....people are complaing about other brands who focus on storyline too much or all about the divas or even about there competition but soon as a show comes along with all of the high flying and innovation that you've been looking for...you trash it...sure the explosions and electricutions are over the top but it is entertaining...and on tues nights at 10:30 would you rather watch ECW or WSX...when looking at TNA and WSX...WWE sadly seems to be missing something in the action side of things...i read that WWE was interested in Teddy Hart but i would hate to see a guy like that limited in the WWE, they may be to majors of pro-wrestling now...but eventually there "Superstars" will have to step it up or get left behind

WSX+TNA= The FUTURE:headbanger:

I find this promotion to be amazing. Fantastic wrestling squeezed into about 5 minutes (which of course will piss people off in its shortness) and awesome hardcore action. That Rumble match from the first show was simply fantastic. They've got a couple solid stars in X-Pac, Vampiro, and New Jack, and they've got great up and comers like Luke Hawx, Jack Evans, and Teddy Hart. The only beef I have with this show is the musical guest element and the shortness of the show. I have the feeling MTV forced the music guest onto them. Unfortunately I also know that MTV will probably cancel this show, but than again Tough Enough lasted a few seasons, so why can't this? I'd really love to see them get set up like an ECW kind of thing and have a PPV. Imagine seeing all that action in those 5 minute matches but 20 minutes longer? There could be some classics there.

Overall I just find it sad that I get more entertainment out of the 5 minute matches on WSX than I do out of the main events for every Raw, ECW, and Smackdown!

http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/interviews/default.asp?aID=18667

2/15/2007 1:27:00 PM

Alex Marvez interviews Wrestling Society X producer Kevin Kleinrock

Email: [email protected]

As producer and co-creator of pro wrestling’s most innovative new promotion, Kevin Kleinrock is hoping that MTV’s Wrestling Society X doesn’t remain a secret one. The 28-year-old Kleinrock, who once worked with the now-defunct Xtreme Pro Wrestling group out of Southern California, has tried to create a product that features a new generation of high-flying wrestlers that also appeals to more traditional fans.

In the following interview conducted February 12, Kleinrock discusses the origins of WSX, his own background and goals for the promotion. A copy of my column on WSX can be found at http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=PROWRESTLING15-02-15-07.

Q: How did this project come about?

Kleinrock: “All the way back when I was working for XPW, we were eventually distributed by a home video company called Xtreme Entertainment Group. One of the founders and owners of that company was a guy named Houston Curtis. Years later after XPW was done, Houston and I met up again and he was running Big Vision Entertainment. I went to go work for him for his home video and television production/distribution company. We went to MTV to pitch them on another show. He used to be an MTV executive as well before. He was going to MTV to pitch them on a different television show and I mentioned I had an idea for a new take on rock and wrestling. He said we should sit down and discuss developing the show for MTV and take a pitch to them. We did a pilot for it in February 2006 and they gave us the green light over the summer and we filmed the rest of it in November.”

Q: What was your inspiration for this?

Kleinrock: “My two passions growing up in life -- other than my family at this point – have always been wrestling and music. I grew up wanting to work in one industry or another. I went back and forth a lot with what I wanted to do with my life. After pursuing wrestling and working with Big Vision, it kind of kept my career in entertainment going. I was always looking forward to bringing those two worlds together again. Throughout my time working with XPW, I met so many bands and artists who liked wrestling and were fans of XPW. A lot of them were great punk rock bands people I listened to. It was surreal for Rancid to show up at an XPW event. To have these bands be fans of our product was just amazing. There were so many bands who were fans of wrestling who would potentially love to get involved in the project.

“I was trying to figure out how I could blend that into a new style of wrestling that hopefully not just appeal to the current fan that is into wrestling but reach a whole new generation of fans and people who don’t realty get what pro wrestling is now because in their minds it’s two 300 pound-plus guys doing leg drops or chin locks. They haven’t been exposed to a whole next generation of wrestlers like Matt Sydal or Ruckus and the guys we’re putting in there. They’re putting on matches unlike most of the world has seen before.”

Q: For whatever reason, it just seemed like this project took a long time to get off the ground after the pilot was shot.

Kleinrock: “I think a lot of that had to do with just the natural progression that comes with launching a TV show, which is exactly the opposite of how every wrestling company had been launching up until now. Generally, the standard rule in wrestling is to start small, try to get local TV and expand regionally and hope and pray for a national spot … To the best of my knowledge, syndication projects aside, there was never a wrestling company or program that launched straight onto network television like this. Because of that, we were not in position to move this thing along any faster. Despite the fact that it did by wrestling industry standards take a long time, from the time we pitched the show to when the first episode aired was by TV standards not that long a time at all. It was average, if not maybe slightly faster, than what it usually takes for a new show to be developed and make it to the air. It was an experience for all of us. I know it was definitely confusing or trying the patience of a lot of wrestlers because they were basically under an exclusive TV contract with us from the time we did the pilot. But all of them have told me since then that it was well worth the wait and are excited about what’s next for WSX.”

Q: How much has the product changed from what you originally had in mind?

Kleinrock: “The big difference really came between the pilot episode and the rest of them. There’s a difference between an air-able pilot for a normal show and a wrestling show … We knew from day one we had two things we had to do: 1) Convince MTV that this was a show for them and make sure the groundwork was laid for the storylines to progress from there. We had to give them the most over-the-top, spectacular product that they had never seen before in pro wrestling. That’s what the pilot was. I think we went out and put on a great high flying match-up with Matt Sydal and Jack Evans and did an over-the-top WSX rumble, which did what it was supposed to do, which was convince MTV to take the show to the air. We even heard when this pilot was screened along with some other pilots for that there MTV executives heard cheering and hooting and hollering from the audience. We heard the executives were really into the show. That was really good for us. They know it tested really well especially among males, which is one reason why they wanted to put it on because they want to capture some more of the male TV audience that they weren’t getting with some other programs. But people who saw from week one to week two and future weeks is definitely more focused on the in-ring action and a little more on angle and storylines. But we’ve only got 20 minutes -- actually 19 1/2 minutes – and that includes a 30-second musical performance. So we’ve got 20 minutes a week to convince people to tune back in and watch us again and follow along. Given the time restraints, we’re giving exactly what we want to be delivering, especially when you combine it with the view that our web site provides a larger sense of the storylines and angles and characters. Angles that you might not have time to set up on TV you can most likely find on the site. All of these little intricacies that were not part of the pilot should give you a broader sense of what we’re doing and make the show much more than, ‘Let’s get out there and look at some high flying and crazy stunts.’ There are actual storylines that arc and drama that wasn’t necessarily there in the pilot.”

Q: What was it like not only assembling the roster but keeping everyone happy?

Kleinrock: “The hardest part for us was keeping this roster together. I definitely worried considering we did the pilot in February. The guys who did the pilot were under contract, but I still had the sense to try getting it on the air as soon as possible because I wanted to keep everybody happy and working. A number of guys who made it to the show for the season I had all intention of bringing in from day one but there wasn’t enough space and time on the pilot to do so. There was uncertainty of what was going on and when things would happen. We worked really hard putting the roster together and keeping things on the down-low because we didn’t want another organization picking off the guys we were in negotiation with. A number of guys either I or others had seen or were familiar with following the indy circuits and watching tapes of ROH and PWG and other organizations. And then [Dr.] Keith Lipinski really came on board as the head of talent scouting. He would send input with his reports and footage of other guys we had heard of and read results of but had never seen like Tyler Black and Josh Abercrombie. Once I saw those guys, you could see they fit in perfectly with what we’re trying to do. Even with the roster we’d assembled, when we got to the taping and did the matches, MTV was blown away. We felt some of the matches went above and beyond what they were expecting and hoping for because this is a group of guys who had never been together before. They just gelled so well. Out of the 40 matches that we filmed, 35 of them exceeded expectations.”

Q: Obviously, this is not a traditional wrestling product. How concerned are you about alienating long-time fans with the presentation or does that even matter at this point because you could be tapping into a whole different audience?

Kleinrock: “One of the major focuses we’re trying to maintain on the show is not to alienate the current wrestling fans. That comes from the fact people behind the scenes are wrestling fans. We’re not about creating a spin-off of pro wrestling. This is about creating a new presentation of pro wrestling. Even with MTV, there are times where something would come up and we would say, ‘What if we do this?’ and MTV always ends with the sentence, ‘Would it turn off wrestling fans or go against what the traditional audience wants?’ They’re very cognizant of not offending the sensibilities of the current fans. That does not mean we don’t take some exceptions, like when we use explosions or the Jack Evans-Matt Sydal match only goes 3 ½ minutes. But again, with the timing of this thing, you have to look at having 19 minutes a week to try and provide the most action-packed 19 minutes you’ve ever seen. I’ve seen multiple newspaper articles and reviews that in our 30 minutes we get just as much wrestling in as on Impact every week and sometimes as much as Raw. As far as the stunts and explosions, we’re just looking to do what others have done in wrestling before and take it to the next level. For example, in Episode Three, there’s a spot that I can see some traditional fans would think a little above and beyond. However, my thinking on the spot was it was a spot that WWE had done before in some form and we went and delivered it in a much more spectacular way. I stand by it being a very cool moment on the show.

“Definitely, the ability to sell moves has to be limited when you’re dealing with a 3 ½-minute match. You’re forced to create a new psychology of a wrestling match where you don’t want guys to go out there and just do high spots with no storytelling of a match or sense of believability. But you’re just forced with the time restraint to do something different. But even with the stunts and explosions, it’s not like somebody is standing up 30 seconds later and no-selling a big thing. Yes, maybe on another program when a guy hits a moonsault you see a longer sell. But when you see our program, it’s the nature of the beast.”

Q: How surprised were you to see WWE appear to so aggressively try to counter-program against WSX with ECW?

Kleinrock: “It was definitely interesting. I had kind of heard rumblings and reports from other people – and they were published now elsewhere – about how Vince [McMahon] never got this worked up about anything that TNA ever did. That was kind of interesting to me. I think two things. If WSX can be successful, it’s good for the entire wrestling industry. One problem the industry has had in the last number of years is bringing new fans to the table. Ever since WCW closed, there are millions of less people watching on a weekly basis even with the little surges of popularity you see now and then. The industry, especially TNA, is struggling to bring new fans to the table. We at WSX look at this as a chance not only to put our show over but help revitalize the industry as a whole. If you can get a few million new fans who don’t watch wrestling and watch our product on a weekly basis, the next thing is they become fans of wrestling and can watch the other shows. It’s a great chance for them to discover WWE and TNA. I think it’s only going to be beneficial to the industry as a whole to see us excel and survive. But anyone knows and has studied Vince [McMahon] and sees what he sees in the business is the dollar that fans are willing to spend. He wants to make sure he and the WWE are receiving every cent of that dollar they can whether from a business or ego sense in trying to crush everything else that comes along. I guess that’s kind of what got to him was the fact we didn’t launch on pay-per-view or a small network. We launched on the biggest network in the world. Viacom has the ability to put this show in more countries than WWE is currently on. That’s just the scope of what WSX and MTV can do together. Obviously, that’s something in the back of his head.”

Q: Obviously, Spike TV is owned by Viacom. How does this affect what WSX does with another Viacom-owned network like MTV?

Kleinrock: “Despite the fact both are network-owned -- Spike actually falls under the MTV network division – by the same company, each network is responsible for creating programming to bring in viewers. One network on a day-to-day basis doesn’t deal with the other network. The program and decision-makers are completely separate. And it’s much a different situation with how both wrestling companies are set up. TNA is a privately owned company that Spike puts on the air. WSX, at this point, is a TV program that Big Vision Entertainment produces for MTV but the business of WSX at this point is a collaborative effort between Big Vision and MTV. It comes down to the fact MTV and Spike are out there to get the best rating possible for the network and see wrestling as one way to do so.”

Q: What are the short- and long-term goals for WSX?

Kleinrock: “The short-term goal is to have the first season be as successful as possible and have MTV bring the show back on the air after the 10 episodes are done as quickly as possible. MTV’s traditional model is not to re-run seasons back to back. They take normal TV breaks between seasons. The question now is where does WSX fit into that and what kind of break, if any, is there going to be between season one and season two. In terms of the long-term goals, we’re really looking to expand the WSX brand. All of our focus has been on the television shows and putting our efforts into what airs on TV. But obviously, the words pay-pew-view and tour and merchandise and video games all have been discussed, at least across the lunch table at this point. We’re really looking to work with MTV to build this brand and bring WSX into the pop culture conversation worldwide. Guys who six months ago were relatively unheard of within the general population in a few months to be in position, and I’m pretty confident of this, better known than guys like Umaga and the Great Khali and guys they’re pushing in WWE as well as be better know that all of the TNA roster except for a Sting or a Kurt Angle. This is a huge opportunity to have this roster kind of break through and be heralded as the new generation of pro wrestling.”

Alex Marvez's weekly pro wrestling column can be found in the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Denver Rocky Mountain News, Biloxi Sun-Herald, Abilene Reporter, Boulder Daily Camera, San Angelo Standard-Times, The Oklahoman, Honolulu Star-Bulletin and other select newspapers that subscribe to the Scripps-Howard News Service.

credit: Wrestlezone.com & Ryan Clark

The fourth episode of Wrestling Society X has been pulled from MTV. The episode was set to air this Tuesday, but now scheduled in its place, is a TV show titled "Scarred." There recently was a major shakeup within MTV, which certainly played a role in this decision. Also known is that the fourth episode of WSX raised concern with the network's standards and practices department.

As the story goes, the issue began when IWA Puerto Rico star Ricky Banderas threw a fireball at the face of Vampiro (WSX Champion). Though originally approved by the network, upon further review it was determined that the stunt too risky to show in fear of viewers at home attempting to duplicate it. The fireball stunt is supposed to be part of a storyline for much of the remaining episodes, so you can see how this really would stir a lot of debate with the network.

As mentioned earlier in this report, MTV is going over a major shakeup. Ratings for several of their original programming has dropped as of late, and many employees have been let go in the past few days, including some high ranking executives. Others have sent in their resignations and one department is said to have shut down. It's a total mess.

The ratings have fallen the past two weeks for the promotion. It was believed that originally, the network was going to air all ten taped episodes since they had already invested in them. So it doesn't necessarily appear that ratings had any barring on this decision.

All programming on the network is said to possibly be under re-evaluation, as the network considers new strategies. At this time, WSX is supposed to return Tuesday, February 27, at 10:30PM Eastern. That still, is subject to change.

If any further details surface, we will break them to you here.

Credit Wrestlezone.com & Ryan Clark

Date: Feb 16, 2007 12:27 AM
Subject The status of WSX
Body: Hey everyone!

Quick update on the status of the program as I'm sure you all are very curious.

First and foremost, the show has not been cancelled. However Wrestling Society X will not be on next week in its normal timeslot. The how WILL resume to its normal schedule the week after.

Thank you for your support! Please be sure to let everyone know WSX will resume Feb 27 at 10:30pm on MTV!

-WSX

Dave Meltzer is reporting that episode 4 of MTV's Wrestling Society X was pulled due to a fireball thrown by Ricky Banderas at Vampiro, as an angle to build a title match later in the season. WSX producers and MTV will meet next week regarding the future direction of the project. As things stand, WSX wil return to its normal time slot on Tuesday, February 27th at 10:30PM ET. As previously noted, "Scarred" will air on 2/20 in the WSX time slot. In addition, MTV has pulled all replays of WSX, but WSX replays are still available on other MTV networks.

Source:Gerweck.net

This is the stupidest thing I ever heard. WSX have fake explosion's and etc yet they have a fireball thrown at Vampiro and it's like the whole world is about to end. MTV is really ******ed for pulling it. I think their just making an excuse since it did a .5 rating for week 3 but what do they expect? They are just starting out and for a wrestling company just starting out that's a high rating. They just need to get there wrestler's more over and etc. A fire ball is nothing too drastic at all and it seem's like some what of an original idea.

Too bad its not that original The Sinister Minister and Mickey Whipwreck used it in ECW and The same man Jim Mitchell just did it to Sting in TNA. So it has been done before. But it is supposed to be back the week after this one. But as to WSX itself I would have the Ring announcer not run around when He calls the Wrestlers in. And not have the musicians commentate. As well as let New Jack keep his ECW music and thing of having it played right through the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back