• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Most underated match of the decade?

ulimate123

Prof Ulti at work as usual....
What do you think is the most underated match of the last 10 years? IMO this match never ever gets any talk about it and thats Finlay vs Benoit at Judgement day 2006. It is of such a pure wrestling quality, its beyond belief (OK, exaggeration :la:). But IMO no match in the last decade bar 2/3 matches come close to this match. It truly is a spectale of a wrestling classic which will never be remembered.

The Finaly/Benoit match is great as was the Benoit/Regal one several months later. But I'm undecided on one point. If they were really that great then wouldn't more people remember them?

Maybe the fact that neither were on unimportant shows, involving mostly bland wrestlers is what makes them underrated.

The Finaly/Benoit match is great as was the Benoit/Regal one several months later. But I'm undecided on one point. If they were really that great then wouldn't more people remember them?

Maybe the fact that neither were on unimportant shows, involving mostly bland wrestlers is what makes them underrated.

Yeah the hype was missing from all those matches you've mentioned. It seemed that most casual fans didn't even care about the matches and thats why those two matches are mostly remembered by only some hardcore wrestling fans.

hi guys,

I know its not exactely underated but i think the match between Cena and HBK on raw after WM23 was really good, it's a rare match that lasts and hour and didnt want to end. Glad HBK came out on top for a change too.

Other than that i can only think of Lita against Trish Stratus on raw a few years back. It was a rare time when the womens title was the main event for a Raw.

They had a really good match. Other than i'm struggling to think of anything else at the moment.

Anyone else got any others?

When you say underrated, I say Carlito vs. Randy Orton at Unforgiven 2006. That was a great match, as Orton has a knack for. And no one has talked about it since, which makes me angry

Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle.

It was a cage match on Raw, during the Benoit-Austin feud.

My favorite match of all time...only match close to this one in my book was Benoit-Angle at the RR.

this is easy.
jericho vs. hbk
wm19

nothing comes close.

I don't know if it's the most underrated of the past decade or not but one match that no one really talks about that much is Edge vs Flair TLC from Raw for the WWE title. I remember watching Raw that night and thinking that it was the dumbest idea ever, Edge had just won the title so you knew there was no chance he as going to drop the belt on top of that I had my doubts about Flair in a TLC match. The match actually delivered big time though. Edge had a nice leap off the turnbuckle through the table outside the ring and also took a sick bump from the ring through 2 tables. On top of all this the crowd was super hot, you had Flair's daughter at ring side and at one point in the match I actually thought Flair might win. Super hot crowd + tons of emotion with Flairs daughter at ring side + making me think there was a chance Flair may win even though I knew going in there was no chance he'd win makes a great match for me.

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Kurt Angle, Summerslam 2001. Right in the middle of the invasion angle. Kurt Angle has had great matches since, particularly his wrestlemania classics with HBK and the one at 19 with Lesnar, but this could be still arguably his best. This was a match that a lot of people raved about after it happened, but I don't hear it get brought up much anymore...

The Rock v Chris Jericho from No Mercy 2001 I thought was a great match that seems to have been forgotten. Jericho finally won a World title which was long overdue and as usual The Rock did a great job putting someone over.

Also Randy Orton v Shawn Michaels from Survivor Series 2007 was a really good and underrated match.

Triple threat elimination match for the WWE Tag team titles at Survivor Series 2002, it was second main event, great match, and never spoke about. It was Eddie and Chavo vs Benoit and Angle vs Edge and Mysterio. The talent in the match was great, the match was great, and vastly under-rated

i think a very underrated match is the rock vs austin wrestlemania 19. The match had a great background plus it was austins last match(and imo rocks last true match that really meant anything). These two put on a wrestling clinic on how to make a match that the crowd will be fully into. It was a great match on an already great card

For me, its Kurt Angle vs Shane McMahon at King of the Ring. This match is a pretty populat match, but I think it is probably one of, if not the best "street fight" ever. The build up was done well, with both guys having a fair amount of support, however, that that was only a small reason for the match's success. Both guys were unbelievable in this match, exhibiting some good mat wrestling along with taking some ridiculous bumps, mostly Shane. The match was approximately a half an hour and was very exciting, going back and forth the entire way. Both Shane and Kurt really know how to work a match and both did an amazing job of just putting on a show during this match. I'd love to see them go at it again, but that doesn't seem likely in the near future.

Any match with THE GREAT KHAIL.

Not really, but to me it was the WWE Championship scramble at Unforgiven. There was something about. I can't really put my finger on it.

The Undertaker vs The Rock at KOTR, 1999, it was great in every department, but isnt mentioned much.

Chris Jericho vs CM Punk in Canada a few months ago wasnt hyped, but trumped alot of matches around that time

Shawn Michaels and Stone Cold Steve Austin vs The Hart Foundation (British Bulldog and Owen Hart) in 1997 was a great match, but much want made of it by anyone

IMO, one match that started Jeff back up in the Main event since his return, and thats Booker T ad Mr.Kennedy Vs Bobby Lashley and Jeff Hardy, And because Jeff was chosen by Lashley, it prepared him for more future main events. i remember thinking after wrestlemania 23(being a new wrestling fan) Wow, that guy is CRAZY!. and on that night when Jeff was chosen by Lashley , He became my favorite wrestler. I remember watching that match over and over again.

Another match i recall is one i cant give much information about, but i loved it.
It was the Hardys and Benoit, Vs Chavo, Helms, and i think MVP? but i can't remember. and in the end Benoit made Helms tap out to the Sharpshooter and i remember it being the 400ths episode of smackdown , or something special like that. All i remember, is that i remember it, so it must have been good:worship:

Wrestlemania 20 Christian vs chris jericho great match and great drama after the match another good match mike awesome and tanaka from the first one night stand

I would have to say carlito vs randy orton at unforgiven 2006. These guys at the time were basically middle carders (altough orton got a push shortly after) went in there and put on a quality 10 to 15 minute match that was great to watch.

The Undertaker vs The Rock at KOTR, 1999, it was great in every department, but isnt mentioned much.

It's on the Tombstone: History of the Undertaker DVD. Though I will admit, I don't watch that match as much as the others, and that is pretty crazy of me as I Rock and Taker are two of my favourite guys! :smashfreakB:

I think another under-rated match is the Triangle Ladder Match at WM2000. Everyone talks about TLC1 and 2, but if it wasn't for this match (and the ladder match at No Mercy), we wouldn't have seen the two TLC matches between the Hardys, Dudleys and E&C. I remember they did show Jeff's Swanton onto Bubba-Ray from that match alot until Edge did the spear in the air.

A very underrated match that I haven't heard anything about was in 2002 (I Think Judgement Day). Best 2 out of 3 Falls between Edge and Mysterio vs. Angle and Benoit (champions) and it went to 4 falls. That match was f'n awesome.

For me, Finlay/Benoit is way up there, but I pick the HBK vs. Shelton Benjamin match from what I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) was in the tournament for the IC title. HBK was on his game that night and Benjamin really showed what he could do as well. It was a technical marvel to say the least.

I also like that BeansOnToast brought up the Lita vs. Trish Stratus match from Raw. That is hands down the best Divas match period.

i agree that Shelton and HBK was a good unknown match. by the way it was in the gold rush tournament Bischoff was holding to decide a new world champion.

yes Lita and Trish probably is the best pure divas match ever. but i think that Natalyia and Beth could outdo those two.

RVD vs Edge for the WWE title at Vengence 2006. I loved this match but it was so low down the card even tho it was the Title match. Was overlooked because of how hot DX were at the time

Survivor Series 2002, WWE Tag Team Championship Triple Threat Elimination Match, Edge & Rey Mysterio (c) v.s Eddie & Chavo Guerrero v.s Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit.

Yesterday I found Survivor Series 2002 on DVD for £4! An amazing price for an amazing PPV. Obviously the only match people look back on from that PPV was the first ever Elimination Chamber match, but I find that this match was just as entertaining in terms of pure wrestling. 6 very gifted wrestlers in the ring at the same time, where you could tag in anyone, not just your own partner. The match had high energy and was wrestled continually at a frantic pace through-out its duration. It was unpredictable to because of the simple fact you could tag in a member from the other team. I personally believe that this was one of the better tag-team matches of this decade which no-one really remembers. It wasen't a match that lastest an hour and featured the very, very top stars in the company. It was 20 minutes of frantic, unpredictable tag-team wrestling at an extremely high level.

i agree that Shelton and HBK was a good unknown match. by the way it was in the gold rush tournament Bischoff was holding to decide a new world champion.

yes Lita and Trish probably is the best pure divas match ever. but i think that Natalyia and Beth could outdo those two.

Ahh - thank you for helping me out with that. I remembered it was a tournament, but other than that, I was drawing a blank. Also, I had never given thought to a Natalya vs Beth match, but since it was brought up I'd love to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back