Match of the Decade

The Brain

King Of The Ring
With only six months left in this decade I'm going to assume we have already seen the match of the decade. With that in mind I have a very simple question. What was the match of the decade? It's a tough decision. Here are my top ten in chronlogical order (except I saved the best for last):

Hulk Hogan vs. The Rock, WrestleMania X8 (for the hype & crowd more than the actual match)

Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H, SummerSlam 2002 (I came very close to picking this as my match of the decade)

Edge & Rey Mysterio vs. Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit, No Mercy 2002 (perhaps the best tag match ever)

Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit, Royal Rumble 2003

Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar, WrestleMania XIX

Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit, WrestleMania XX

Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle, WrestleMania 21

Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair, WrestleMania 24

Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker, WrestleMania 25

And my choice for match of the decade:

Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho, WrestleMania XIX

I know there were a lot of other good matches, but I think these were the best of the best. Who knows, maybe the match of the decade hasn't taken place yet. What are your opinions?

Anything with HBK in it is going to be great, so I would say its a tie between HBK vs Kurt angle @ mania 21 and HBK vs Jericho @ mania XIX. I would also like to make an honerable mention to HBK vs Shelton Benjamin on RAW. idk what the exact date was but it was during that gold rush torny.

Good thread

Edge & Rey Mysterio vs. Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit, No Mercy 2002 (perhaps the best tag match ever)

Maybe best tag match that year, but def not ever. That goes to The Midnight Rockers vs Doug Somers and Buddy Rose from AWA. Great brutal bloddy match that told a story. You should check it out.
But anyway back on topic another good match was Guerrero vs Angle at Mania 20. Funny ending also

This thread has been done to death. It pops up at least once a month. But I will throw in my :twocents: anyway.

Best of the decade is still Angle/HBK at Mania 21. If you saw the match, you know it's the best. That's really all there is to it. Jericho/HBK 2 yrs. earlier has nothing on Angle/HBK. Angle and HBK put on the wrestling clinic that was just remarkable. I've turned people into wrestling fans by showing them that match... and that match alone. It's the greatest match of the decade and one of the best of all time.

And let's try to not have this thread ever show up again... until 2010.

Shawn Michaels v Undertaker WM25
its the only match i have ever watched where i was literlly on the end of my seat and yelling at the the tv and forgot that it was fake. everything in that match was unreal apart from sim snukas fuck up which almost fucked taker up. i also want to say that the referee in this match did a realy good job to sell his injury and play a part with HBK it realy added to the match.
honourable menchen ovcourse to HBK v Angle

In terms of the actual wrestling that took place, Shawn Michaels v.s Kurt Angle at WrestleMania 21 is the best match of the decade. I have never seen such a stunning mixture of technical wrestling, breathless high-flying moves and a simple slugfest come the end.

But that match didn't have me on my feet, with my heart beating, screaming at the television. The only match that had me like that was Shawn Michaels v.s Undertaker at WrestleMania 25. That was just an awesome confrontation which I could watch again and again and again. Sure, it wasen't as technical as Michaels v.s Angle but it just felt like there was so much on the line for both men and that it really ment something.

But which one do I choose...?

For me, personally... I'm going for Shawn Michaels v.s Undertaker, simply because it was an absolutely beautiful piece of work that will be remembered for the rest of time.

I prefer Jericho/Michaels to Michaels/Angle - HBK made the ankle lock look ******ed at the end, and overall the story they told wasn't as good as Jericho trying to beat the man he idolised. I might get flamed for this but Rock vs HHH from Backlash 2000 is very close as well I feel.

There's only two choices for me.

1. Undertaker/Angle- No Way Out 2006: If you don't appreciate this match, then I truly feel sorry for you. This was one of the best worked matches the WWE has put out in the past decade. The crowd was hot for this match and throughout the match you didn't know if Angle or Taker was going to tap out. I didn't mind the finish and if this match was at Wrestlemania, it would have surpassed that Angle/HBK match from the previous year.

2. Angle/Benoit- Royal Rumble 2003- One of the best title matches I have ever watched. This match made me think that Benoit had what it took to become champion. The ovation he received even in a loss was overwhelming. I'm glad he finally got his chance to be champion at WM 20.

Well, I am going to go with HBK vs Flair at WM24. I was there that night in the citrus bowl. It was one of the most electric sporting event I have been to. That night they stole the show and live crowd was insane. The emotion of the match and post-match is indescribable.

urgh..so many to pick from

id hafta go..after alot of thinking

Shawn michaels vs Ric Flair

That match had everything...vintage HBK, Flair putting it all on the line one more time and probably the most emotional ending to a match not only of this decade but..ever

Although..all Previously mentioned matches are well worthy of this title

I pose another question how Irornic that shawn michaels missed the first year of this decade yet he still puts on the best matches..Imagine if he never came back..what answers would you be giving

Another question for another fourm i think lol

Thanks for reading guys

Man, this is hard. I am going to be a little biased, because I was there for 2 of the matches, but even watching it on DVD recently, it was amazing to watch. My top 5 are in chronological order, with #1 being last

Kurt Angle vs. Rey Mysterio, Summerslam 2002: This match opened the show. This match was one of Rey's first PPV matches, and I am 99% certain it was his first feud in WWE against a heavyweight wrestler. Rey's knees were still in good shape, so he was flying around more then he does now, and Kurt Angle could have a classic match against a pillow. Needless to say, I think this was one of the greatest opening contests in WWE history.

Eddie Guerrero vs. Kurt Angle, Wrestlemania XX: those guys styles meshed so well with each other, that all of their matches were great. However, I put WMXX at the top of their feud because I was there, and because I never saw a match end the way it did. This match didn't have the emotion that their No Way Out match has, especially since Eddie was already champ, but it was their best contest.

Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels, Wrestlemania 21: Michaels is the greatest wrestler of all time, and Angle is one of the best as well. Sometimes when 2 superstars of their caliber mix it up, the match doesn't live up to the hype. This did, and then some.

Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair, Wrestlemania XXIV: perfect storytelling, and quite possibly the greatest and second greatest of all time, you can't get much better.

My Match of the Decade:
Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H, Summerslam 2002. Shawn had not wrestled in 4 years, and nobody knew what to expect. What they got was one of Shawn's greatest performances ever, and he proved that he could still go. That match was the reason he was able to have all the other great matches this decade. Sitting in the stands watching, I may have a different view of the match, but those guys stole the show.

I'm gonna wait until 2010 on this one. Not that there will be a better match 7 months from now, it's just that I'm not exactly sure what is the match of the decade yet. I need to refresh my memory.

It has to do with good storytelling (sold build up), the actual wrestling, significance of the match (match @ wrestlemania, not a match on RAW), and audience response.

Rock vs Hogan had poor wrestling. The Canadian audience was a large part of the match's success. Jericho vs Michaels stole the show, but i'm not TOO sure you can call it the best match of the decade, definitely of that year though. I still need time to think about this, lol

Dudley Boyz vs Hardy Boyz vs Edge & Christian @ Wrestlemania 16 and 17 were great matches. The 60-minute iron man match between Angle and Lesnar was awesome too. Not to mention Shawn's matches against Ric Flair, Angle, Cena, & Undertaker all deserve honorable mention.

without a doubt the hardys vs christan and edge vs the dudleys was the best fued this decade. he TLC Match between these guys were epic. They redifed tag wrestling and had its last great fued. This set of matches was no doubt the best of the decade. Other then this the eddie/angle fued was the second best of the decade, followed by the hbk hhh fued thats tied with hbk vs jericho (2008).

im sorry folks but there is no way that anything from this decade can touch Undertaker vs. HBK from mania 25. I was there in person and it was just untouchable and F'n incredible!!!

im sorry folks but there is no way that anything from this decade can touch Undertaker vs. HBK from mania 25. I was there in person and it was just untouchable and F'n incredible!!!

That match was good but the only thing that held it backw as the fact that you KNEW Undertaker would win...don't tell me that you thought he wouldn't, because if u did you're either:

1) Too much of an HBK fan

2) Too much of an Undertaker hater

3) a little kid or an adult that's gullable as HELL

Back on topic....this is hard because the year isn't over and I have forgotten a lot of matches. Looking back at previous posts, it looks like I have to go back and watch HHH and HBK at SS 02, seeing as it has alot of praise and I forgot that match, as well as Angle and Lesnar Ironman match.

For now, it has to be between Angle vs. HBK at WM 21, and TLC2 with the Hardyz, E&C and Dudleyz, which I believe was in 2001? (not too sure)

I'm really partial to Edge & Rey vs Angle and Benoit from No Mercy '02. What a wonderful contest.

Michaels vs Angle WM 21

Angle vs Benoit RR '03

I dunno why, but I always really loved Angle vs Lesnar from SS '03.

But I really do think that Michaels vs Undertaker has got to be hands down, the match of the decade. Time will tell, but I've seen it about a dozen times and it still gives me chills.

My favorite match of the decade is Stone Cold vs. Ric Flair on Stone Cold's last match on Raw before he walked out. The stipulation was there was to be no striking with the fist during the match and whoever lost the match was the other persons bitch the next week. It was a classic and they sold the story so freakn' well. They should show newcomers to wrestling that match and the HBK-Taker match from Wrestlemania 25 to show them what wrestling matches are all about.

The only reason why Undertaker/HBK is considered great in my opinion is because of the nostalgia factor. I'll take the atmosphere of Rock/Hogan ten times over than Undertaker/HBk. I watched the match plenty of times but I don't take anything out of that match I would consider memorable other than Taker almost killing himself. I can name three matches HBK and Taker have each wrestled that were better than that one.

HBK
vs. Jericho (Wrestlemania 19)
vs. Jeff Hardy (RAW 2008)
vs. HHH (Summerslam 2002)

Undertaker
vs. Kurt Angle (No Way Out 2006)
vs. Randy Orton (Armageddon 2005)
vs. Batista (Wrestlemania 23)

I still will never get the love the Undertaker/HBK match gets but if you people love it, I can't change your mind.

How is it that no one has mentioned the hardcore intercontinental title match between Randy Orton and Mick Foley form Backlash 2004? Or how about The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin from Wrestlemania X7?

As far as my match of the decade, it is easily Angle vs Michaels from WM21. At least one of these two wrestlers is in almost all of the proposed match of the decade candidates, and that's no mistake. Put them together in a Wrestlemania match and there is your match of the decade. I watched this match live while I was in college with a large group of people that included some non-wrestling fans. Needless to say, the match blew everyone I was watching it with away, especially the non-wrestling fans. They told me that they finally understood why my friends and I love wrestling and it didn't take a match with ladders, tables, or some other kind of gimmick. All it took was good wrestling....imagine that!

As for the Taker/HBK epic at WM25, I see it as the match of the decade on paper. It was a good match, but it is helped out by good hype and the Undertaker landing on his head after a big dive to the outside. That's not to take away from a good match, but as Saddler pointed out there was just not as much excitement as there could have been due to the Taker's obvious victory.

One last point that may be a little off topic, but has been on my mind and this topic helps me back that point up. HBK was involved in so many great matches this decade after retiring for nearly five years, and the WWE has only found it in them to give Michaels a one month title run with the B-Class World Title. Now I know that HBK doesn't need a bunch of titles to be great, but he truly deserves another WT run and all of his MOTD candidates prove it. This brings me to someone that is the WWE's "man", HBK's good buddy, and someone who is almost nowhere to be found on this list of great matches from this decade unless it was a match with HBK. Of course I'm talking about HHH who is on a pace to beat Flair's World Title record by October. I understand that it was smart for HHH to marry into the McMahon's and blah blah blah. I get that and that's fine. I've heard all the defenses from HHH marks as to why he operates in the WWE the way he does and all of those are fine with me too. I still say hes overrated and this thread proves it. I guess my point to this little rant is that no matter how many World Titles HHH wins and no matter how many 3 stages of hell or hell in a cell matches HHH has been in, he is easily a couple tiers below HBK in the wrestling department. And with all of these World Title changes happening lately, maybe HHH can find it in his heart to let his good friend HBK get a piece of the pie and grab another World Title that he ABSOLUTELY deserves.

I'm gonna go with:

HBK vs. 'Taker WM 25: Two legends battling it out. WoW I think Shawn was the closest person out of the 16 wrestlers who fought 'Taker, to actually beat him at Mania! all and all great match!

HBK vs. HHH SummerSlam 2002: HBK vs. HHH was honestly my favorite feud. And this was a monumental match for me! I was like 10 back than and this match meant so much 'coz I was and still am a huge HBK fan!

HBK vs. Jericho WM 18: WoW, two of the greatest performers at the grandest stage of them all, 'nuff said.

HBK vs. Angle WM 21: One of the best matches EVER! I mean it had HBK and Angle, quality performance and the best wrestling out there, what more can you ask for?

Christian vs. Jarrett Against All Odds 2006: Just because Christian Cage won his first world title lol.

My favorite matches of the decade were of course
HBKvsUndertaker WM25
Batista vs Undertaker survivor series 2007 i believe in hell in a cell
HBK vs John Cena on Monday Night Raw the match that was an hour long

I think Match of the Decade should go to Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels from Unbreakable 2005. This was by far one of the best matches I've ever seen in my life and one of the only 5 star matches I have seen in the last 10 years IMO. This was a match that had everything, great storytelling, great wrestling, and introduced moves never seen before. This is the best match TNA ever put on and better than any match this decade (although there were some matches mentioned that came very close. Like Michaels vs. Jericho).

How is it that no one has mentioned the hardcore intercontinental title match between Randy Orton and Mick Foley form Backlash 2004? Or how about The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin from Wrestlemania X7?

Thats funny because I was actually gonna mention both of those!!! For me it had to have been Austin/Rock at WM X-7 which happens to be the greatest WM of all time. But the buildup for the match was AMAZING, the match itself had everyone in the Astrodome on their feet, going crazy. And then Austin turning, but the crowd not caring was just an amazing feeling in that Dome. Easily Match of the Decade in my opinion. TLC II from WM X-7 was great too!!!

Undertaker/HBK was also great, I loved it, and that atmosphere was great in Reliant Stadium. Maybe Im biased towards these 2 matches b/c I was at both of those in person :)

Hands down, I have to go with HHH vs. HBK vs. Chris Benoit from WMXX. Possibly the best triple threat match i have ever seen. The finish was amazing with Benoit and Eddie celebrating with the WWE's top tiltes in Madison Square Garden. That was, imo, the defining moment of 2004 and possibly of the entire decade.

I also really enjoyed Eddie vs. Rey Mysterio at Summerslam 2005 in a ladder match for THE FUCKING CUSTODY OF DOMINICK!!! Sure the storyline was shit, but that match was awesome. It was so good that the poor run-ins from Dominick and Vickie didn't hurt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back