Match of the Decade

TheGreatSPAMbino

Getting Noticed By Management
Since my wrestle rof the decade thread was a smashing success i decided to make a similar thread. This one is about the Match of the Decade. Which match stand out in your mind as the best match of the decade. There are a shit load of ppossibilitiees so that makes it very hard to choose. Ill throw out a few matches that i can think of right now.

Cactus Jack vs. Triple H street fight Royla rumble 2000
Various TLC's involving the hardys dudleyz and edge and christian
HHH vs. Austin 3 stages of Hell No way out 2001
Murdering Scumbag vs. Austin raw 2001
The Rock vs. hogan Wrestlemania 18
Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle Wrestlemania 19 and summerslam 2003
Murdering scumbag vs. Kurt Angle royal rumble 2003
Shawn Michales vs. Triple H (various matches)
Scumbag vs. hhh vs. hbk at wrestlemania 20
Kurt angle vs. shawn michaels wrestlemania 21
Edge and reymysterio vs. los gurreros ladder match in 2003 i think
John Cena vs. RVD in the hammerstein ballroom 2006(i really liked this match so its on the list-deal with it)
Cena vs. Edge TLC 2006
Taker vs. Edge TLC 2008
Undertaker vs. Kurt Angle in 2006 i think
Shawn Michales vs. John Cena for like an hour on raw that one time
Shawn Michales vs. ric flair wrestlemania 24
Mick Foley vs. Edge hardcore match wrestlemania 22
Eddie Gurrero vs. Brock lesnar no way out 2003
or maybe a match that has yet to come.....................

Theres probably more that i havent thought of but those are just a few that came off the top of my head (some of those i didnt even think were that good but ive heard many people rave about them so i added them on the list). i apologize for the lack of organization with the list but whatever.

Let the heated debate begin.

the rock v austin wm 17.....in my opinion the best wm main event ever, great build up, great match, great finish, two best wrestlers of their generation

flair v michaels wm 24 was a great match as well

Triple H vs shawn Michaels.. HIAC
triple H vs SCSA 3 stages of hell
Triple H vs Cactus Jack Street Fight
and please call Benoit Chris Benoit, this a wrestling forum lets concentrate on the wrestling aspect of the wrestlers and lets leave their personal lives out

there's 3 different ways you can take "match of the decade"

Do you mean as far as only what goes on in the ring?
A main event so huge between two huge stars that is destined for greatness?
Or is it a combo of the two?

If you want what just goes on inside the ring I would give it to HBK/Kurt Angle at WM21. I've said it in numerous posts, but you can not find enough words to describe the greatness of that match. You just can't.

Main Event where just the hype and the presence of two stars meet. That's hands down Rock/Hogan at WM18. The Great One vs. "The Greatest Ever". I have nothing against Hogan, but I don't believe he's the greatest ever.

Combo of the two... HBK/Flair at WM24. The story build-up was executed to perfection through an amazing match by two huge superstars.

Mhhh Match Of The Decade!!! Ufffff Though Question... There Have Been Incredible Matches In This Decade.....

Edge And Christian Vs. Dudleys Vs. Hardys Tlc Wrestlemania X-seven Is A Choice

Or Maybe Triple H Vs. Mick Foley Hell In A Cell No Way Out 2000

Or Edge Vs. Undertaker Wrestlemania 24

Other Options...

Michaels Vs. Angle Wrestlemania 21

Benoit Vs. Triple H Vs. Hbk Wrestlemania Xx

I Can't Pick One Right Now..... But Maybe One Of Those Should Be The Greatest..... Maybe I'm Forgetting One Big Match..... Is Too Tough That Question

Well if I had to, I would use the match of the year winners for the last decade as a place to build from (unless another match from the year clearly jumped out at me, but for arguments sake lets stick with these).

They were

2000 Dudley Boyz vs. Hardy Boyz vs. Edge and Christian
2001 Dudley Boyz vs. Hardy Boyz vs. Edge and Christian
2002 The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan
2003 Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar
2004 Triple H vs. Chris Benoit vs. Shawn Michaels
2005 Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle
2006 Shawn Michaels vs. Vince McMahon
2007 John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels
2008 Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels

Of those, I think that Id pick the TLC from x-seven (2001) or Rock Hogan simply because I was so freaking in to it. I watched it with some friends, none of whom were wrestling fans and it was the only match of the night that had everyone on the edge of their seats. Hogan and The Rock were amazing. Another match I would add might be Samoa Joe v. Kenta Kobashi from the ROH show of the same name. Its a match that I tend to show my friends when they have never watched any wrestling outside of the E, and is a very enjoyable hard hitting match.

The Joe/Punk matches for the ROH title were also outstanding, but I'm not certain if I'd put them at the top of my decade list, though they were certainly on there somewhere.

I just realized how many MOTY's Michaels has been involved in. Thats pretty impressive for a guy I considered to have gotten pretty bad. I'll have to re-watch them.

Austin v Rock at WM 17, best all around match I've seen this decade in terms of build up and crowd reaction to both men.

HHH v HBK v Benoit at WM 20 would be a close second though.

Well How about the brock lesnar vs undertaker hell in a cell match or the jeff hardy vs taker match.another one that comes to mind is maybe not the greatest of the decade but ill say it anyways,the elimination chamber from smackdown at this years NWO,as a matter of fact most elimination chamber,but the smackdown one for this year IMO was the definetly one of the best,i was just on the edge of my seat throughout the match especially in the go-home sequence.

well ive only watched wrestling since 2005
1.edge vs mick foley WrestleMania 22 hardcore match

2.edge vs undertaker SummerSlam 2008 Hell in a cell match
And i have probaly a lot more matches but i cant remember them.

mankind taker hell in a cell
rock hhh summerslap ladder match MSG
austin brett sharpshooter bloody face
my 3 favortie matches ever

Did you know Benoit that you can judge him? No I think not, so let God judge him.

Now onto the matches.

Edge v. Undertaker SummerSlam 2008 HIAC (I was there!)
Undertaker vs. Kurt Angle NWO
Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle WM21
Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit RR
HHH vs. HBK vs. Benoit WM20
Eddie Guerrero vs. Kurt Angle WM20
Randy Orton vs. Mick Foley Backlash
Benoit vs. Jericho RR 2001
Rock vs. Austin WM17
Edge vs. Kurt Angle Judgment Day
TLC matches involving hardys dudleys and e&c
and....
CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe the trilogy, now I know this is in WWE thread but these matches were just too good!

It sickens me to see people give credit to HBK vs. Flair. The match was awful.

I've always been a big fan of the original Money in the Bank match. When you watch the first MITB match, and then watch the second, it's obvious that just having a gimmick and a ladder has nothing to do with a good match. Rock vs. Austin 2 was also a very great match, as was Cena vs. Umaga from the Royal Rumble.

I really enjoy Kurt Angle VS Chris Benoit @ The Royal Rumble back in 2003...I think that was the best match in a long time.

Also, Stone Cold VS The Rock @ WM 17 was a classic. Especially when The Rock keeps kicking out in Stone Cold home town.

Any match with Bret was awesome of course, but overall those 2 matches stand out to me

Next Vince Russo... Come On Respect The Memory Of Benoit....... Damn!!!

Why would i respect a child murderer........ but anyways onto my personal pick for match of the decade (i dont really want to spark a benoit argument i just couldnt resist calling him a scumbag in my initial post).

I think the match of the decade has to go to either Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels from WrestleMania 21 or The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan from Wrestlemania 18. Michaels- angle was a technical classic, they put on a wrestling clinic that night. That match was excititng and dramatic and clearly a work of art, very worthy of the title of match of the decade. The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan, a match i thought id never see. two legendary icons colliding. That was probabaly the most epic match ive ever witnessed, the electricity in the arena was incredible. I was there watching it with my dad which was a big deal because he first started my interest in wrestling: the rock represented my era and hogan represented his era, it was quite the moment. The in ring work was great and the match was so dramatic. Of the two i would give this match the slight edge.

Of all the wild spotfest matches we've seen throughout this decade i think the very best was the legendary Triple H vs. Cactus jack Street Fight in Madison Square Garden. Royal Rumble 2000 was the first ppv of the decade and that match definately set the bar. That match told a story and proved that you dont need to use every weapon and every illogical spot you can think of to have a good gimmick match. Plus it was the debut of both tacks and barbed wire in the wwe i beleive(correct me if im wrong).

-Benoit vs. Michaels vs. HHH-WM XX. Very emotional match with an great outcome.. unforgettable, no matter how hard WWE will try.

-Austin vs. Rock-WM X7. How this didn`t make the top ten of best Wrestlemania matches annoys me. One of the best WM main event ever and amazing ending.

-TLC 2-WM X7. How they manage to top the first tlc still amaze me.

-3 stages of hell-Austin vs. HHH. 3 great matches in one night.

-Taker Vs, Brock.- Hell in a cell.
-Brock vs. Angle-Wm x8
-Taker vs. Angle. Rock-Vengeance 2001

Ok way to difficult, there is a lot of them...can`t even make a top 10. :D

Alright.. I've been watching wrestling since 94, and for some reason, some of the less popular matches are my favorites.. Idk what it is, but they kept my interests more than most.

1. Favorite match might just be HBK/Y2J at WM19
2. Orton/Triple H Last Man Standing (No Mercy, Not ONS)
3. Orton/Triple H/Cena WM24
4. Jericho/HBK ladder match (No Mercy)
5. Orton/Undertaker Hell in a Cell.

Now, I think the reason the last four are up there primarily are because I've grown to understand more about the business in the last few years and many matches have gotten boring to me... Those on the other hand, didn't bore me. So yeah...

Easily Stone Cold vs The Rock at WM X-7. I was there that amazing night in the Astrodome, the best WM Main Event. TLC II, HHH/Undertaker, and Vince/Shane get recognition too from the same night.

And I cant wait for WMXXV at Reliant Stadium. I dunno if it can live up to WM X-7, but it could be!

Stone Cold vs The Rock wrestlemania 19 i mean austins last match it was great also the one at wm 17 the undertaker vs randy orton that was a good one wm 21

If you want what just goes on inside the ring I would give it to HBK/Kurt Angle at WM21. I've said it in numerous posts, but you can not find enough words to describe the greatness of that match. You just can't.

that's exactly my pick. this match was just awesome! many matches with angle involved were great, but this one still comes out on top imo.

I'd possibly opt for Angle vs. Benoit at the '03 Rumble, probalem being that nobody really remembers it.

The match of the decade surely must go to something that's memorable, on a show that everybody saw, without people having to ask ''which one''. For that I'd have to go with Angle vs. HBK. You say that match and people know straight away you're on about the Mania on, there's no asking if it's Raw or Vengeance.

You could make arguements for 4 or 5 of those matches, or 2 or 3 more which aren't even on your list. So rather than make a meaningless suggestion, which you could have just created a poll for people to vote on. I'll go for my shortlist and reasons for each of them.

Hogan v Rock (WM18)- Easily one of the most memorable and historic matches of the last 10 years. The buildup to the match could have better, and the match would have been even bigger, the match itself was great not only for its wrestling but because it was a match that had so much hype despite medicore buildup and booking because it was 2 of the biggest names in history wrestling a match that noody thought we would see.

Cena v HBK (Either WM or Raw)- They were both fantastic matches, and showcased both wrestlers talents. There is something about these two that when you put them in a ring together they deliver the most brilliant matches, HBK's selling and Cena been the best worker in the business today is what made these matches so great, along with excellent storytelling.

HBK v Jericho (WM19)- In my opinion as good as his match with Angle in my opinion, although less memorable. Probably Jericho's best match of his entire career.

HBK v Angle (W21)- Obviously everyone remembers this because the match was so entertaining, but also because it stole the show on the night, overshaddowing both title matches.

HHH v Austin (NWO '01)- Great way to end this feud which had a great deal of build up, and was a great match in everyway. It was booked perfectly, and Austin sold one hell of a beating. This match is on the list mainly because it is memorable for been so brutal.

TLC 1+2- Easily the greatest tag matches of all time. They will always be memorable because it was so crazy. There were so many big spots in this match to completement great sellers in E+C that it worked really well.

Austin v Rock (WM 17)- Its a great match, overshaddowed by the ending, but still a great match. The selling, the storytelling, and the hype was every bit as good as Cena/HBK.

Austin v Angle (Summerslam '01)- My wildcard in that many people won't remember it. It is another match that is overshaddowed by a bad finish, but the storytelling in that match is amazing. Seeing Angle overcomming all the odds, and kicking out of everything Austin threw at him was so good that it deserves a spot on this list in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back