• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mike & Mitch's Magical Movie Madness (and some TV shows)

No not that one but the film is filled with great ones that are actually well placed and not just some crappy quick noise. Another great one is when the guys stomach opens into teeth and bites the doctors hands off. The best one for me though is the part where they were shocking the blood and just when you think you know which of them is the thing, bam! It's actually Palmer. Also there's a rather interesting fan theory about the end of the thing which i guess i'll spoiler:

The bottle that Kurt Russell offers Keith David towards the end of The Thing is actually one of the Molotov cocktails they were chucking around earlier. David’s character would obviously recognise that he was chugging down a bottle of gasoline. But the Thing wouldn’t…
Although MacReady had given up on all hope of being saved, he probably wanted the comfort of knowing whether or not Childs was the thing or not.

True, and it's another one of the reasons why the remake/prequel failed on almost every level.

Good choices for jumpscares, and Blair using his hand to absorb Garry towards the end is another one. As MacReady and the remaining survivors are rigging Blair's underground hideout with explosives. Blair pops out of no where and kills Garry.

An interesting theory in the spoiler. I NEVER thought of that, and it would make sense for MacReady to be 100% sure. The Thing video game for PS2 and XBox is supposed to be a sequel for the 1982 film, but I'm not sure if it ties up any loose ends or not.

And speaking of nasty, violent alien creatures, I've been watching Predators 2010 on a continuous loop for the past week. Easily the best Predator film since the original, and much better than that God awful sequel with Danny Glover. Adrien Brody is a competent leading man, and Predators 2010 really works as a refreshing resurrection film that pays homage to the 1987 original. A shame they never pursued a sequel for that film, because Predators almost cleaned up the mess from the AVP films (mainly Requiem). Surely they could find a way to put Brody back in the lead role. I mean, he's not a hot commodity in Hollywood anymore, considering his post-Oscar downfall after The Pianist. And you can add Alice Braga to the list of potential returns.

Good choices for jumpscares, and Blair using his hand to absorb Garry towards the end is another one. As MacReady and the remaining survivors are rigging Blair's underground hideout with explosives. Blair pops out of no where and kills Garry.

I think it's just easier to say that The Thing is one of those horror films that gets everything right; no shitty jumpscares, fantastic atmosphere, great actors, no unnecessary romance subplot. Just pure horror that takes a trope such as aliens and gives it a unique twist beyond grey heads.

An interesting theory in the spoiler. I NEVER thought of that, and it would make sense for MacReady to be 100% sure. The Thing video game for PS2 and XBox is supposed to be a sequel for the 1982 film, but I'm not sure if it ties up any loose ends or not.

As far as i can remember the game ends with your character fighting some Thing monster and being saved by a helicopter that's piloted by MacReady. No mention of Childs as far as i recall.

I think it's just easier to say that The Thing is one of those horror films that gets everything right; no shitty jumpscares, fantastic atmosphere, great actors, no unnecessary romance subplot. Just pure horror that takes a trope such as aliens and gives it a unique twist beyond grey heads.

Having Carpenter behind the camera is The Thing's strongest attribute. The cast is fantastic, but without Carpenter, I can't imagine The Thing sustaining a great legacy over the years.

And mentioning unnecessary romance subplots reminds me of the 2011 version (again). They teased it with Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Joel Edgerton. The Thing 2011 didn't go all the way with these two, but it was still annoying.

As far as i can remember the game ends with your character fighting some Thing monster and being saved by a helicopter that's piloted by MacReady. No mention of Childs as far as i recall.

Well, that's disappointing to know. I know the game picks up after the '82 version, just didn't know how far they took the story after that. Never pulled the trigger with buying this game, and of course if I want it now, I'll have to pay for some overpriced copy of it online.

Tarantino set the bar SO high in Kill Bill Vol. 1. I mean, he gave away the best fight sequences, and the best villains. I was convinced nothing would top Lucy Liu's O-Ren Ishii, and Gogo (I'm 99% sure that's the same chick from Battle Royale) was the PERFECT compliment for her character. I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, Bill couldn't live up to the hype in Vol. 2.

Yeah, it is the same actress. She's so fucking evil in the movie that she's AWESOME. She is actually kind of hot too...

I've watched 18 episodes of Game of Thrones in three days. My reaction going in was "this better be the greatest TV show in history, or there's no way it will live up to the hype". Not only did it live up to the mountain of hype grown over the last two years, but it has quickly become my absolute favorite thing on TV today. Easily Top 10 of all time; that's just my opinion though.

Working on 9 and 10 of season two before I go to sleep.

I honestly cannot wait to finish my exams then I can start watching all the tv shows I haven't. I probably should start breaking bad at this point and the Following & Homeland look good too.

Yeah, it is the same actress. She's so fucking evil in the movie that she's AWESOME. She is actually kind of hot too...

I enjoyed her more in Kill Bill, especially during the first (and only :( ) encounter with Uma.

Gogo: You call that begging? You can beg better than that!

Simply referencing that they're identical movies.

Ah, I see.

Waiting for that Under The Dome series to start on NBC, because Bates Motel is starting to bore me more and more with each passing week. And I can't get into Hannibal. I'm trying, but I just can't. Breaking bad and Mad Men are still on my lists of shows I've never watched, but plan on watching someday.

So I just finished watching the Zombieland pilot on Amazon, and yeah, it's pretty bad. Awful, AWFUL cast from top to bottom, and the humor is lame. The pilot tries too hard to mirror the movie: same cast of characters, the zombie rules, the zombie kill of the week, and the same sub-plots (i.e. Jesse Eisenberg's character falling in love with Emma Stone's character). And storyline wise, they don't make an effort to establish, or give people any ideas for what might happen in the future. The gore and blood looks cheap and tacky, and the freedom of using curse words for online show didn't help anything.

[YOUTUBE]v_7Zc7PuAVU[/YOUTUBE]

I didn't even bother with the Zombieland TV show. It just looked terrible. I really hate the money-grubbing obsession for Hollywood (and its NY-based television affiliates) to keep making sequels and spin-offs of things. When it's done well, I can dig it. Like Die Hard - great for a few movies, and then it just blew up in the last in a fiery explosion of crap. Aliens 1 & 2 - brilliant films, that became the laughing stock of the sci-fi genre with its subsequent follow ups. That being said, I enjoyed Prometheus.

Speaking of which, I picked it up for $9 at Walmart today. Such a steal. That movie got slammed by critics so freaking hard. "It wasn't Alien enough" or "it tried to be Alien too hard" or "it wasn't an Alien prequel you moron" or "of course it was an Alien prequel, dumb ass." I think a lot of people are just purely incapable of shutting up and enjoying a movie.

Also, Django came in the mail today. Which is awesome.

I didn't even bother with the Zombieland TV show. It just looked terrible.

Everything was just so bad. The writing, the acting, the special effects, the make-up effects. Everything was just shit. I know it's a pilot, but first impressions are crucial, and I honestly can't think of any redeeming qualities for episode 1 of Zombieland.

I really hate the money-grubbing obsession for Hollywood (and its NY-based television affiliates) to keep making sequels and spin-offs of things.

Annoying, but it's endless cycle unfortunately. I'm genuinely rooting for the Zombieland series to fail, and hopefully they won't make Zombieland 2, the movie. There's really no need for the upcoming Insidious 2, Saw should've died after the third film, and I'm still baffled by this Halloween's (I think?) Paranormal Activity 5. And I just read something about a remake for Weird Science. Ugh, nothing is safe these days.

Like Die Hard - great for a few movies, and then it just blew up in the last in a fiery explosion of crap.

Could not get into 4. I tried and tried, but it didn't click with me at all. Live Free Or Die Hard was much better.

Aliens 1 & 2 - brilliant films, that became the laughing stock of the sci-fi genre with its subsequent follow ups.

They could've, and by all rights, should've ended it at Alien 3. Alien 3 could've been a respectable finale. Ripley wanted to be put of her misery, and the final sacrifice was the perfect exit......but they had to bring her back as a fucking clone in Resurrection. So yeah, I think the Alien franchise still had some life after Aliens, but taking it to a fourth film pushed everything too far.

That being said, I enjoyed Prometheus.

You're not the only one.

Speaking of which, I picked it up for $9 at Walmart today. Such a steal.

Bought the Alien/Aliens double pack from Wal-Mart a while ago for a cheap price, because I don't own the quadrilogy box set. Bought Prometheus on its release date, and saved money, because I reserved it.

That movie got slammed by critics so freaking hard. "It wasn't Alien enough" or "it tried to be Alien too hard" or "it wasn't an Alien prequel you moron" or "of course it was an Alien prequel, dumb ass." I think a lot of people are just purely incapable of shutting up and enjoying a movie.

Yeah, the "too ambiguous" complaints were (and still are) everywhere. Good thing Scott's going ahead with the sequel, but they're also planning a Blade Runner sequel, something I have no interest in at all.

Also, Django came in the mail today. Which is awesome.

Hesitating to pick it up, but I'll get it soon. Gotta work my way through all of this horror stuff, and I feel a need to fill my monthly quota for WWE DVD sets. Still not sure about part 2 of the Nitro set, though.

Could not get into 4. I tried and tried, but it didn't click with me at all. Live Free Or Die Hard was much better.

Damn, this shocks me. I mean, it's not great and it's silly but some of the action I loved. The bit where Willis put the guy through the window using the fire extinguisher was awesome.

Damn, this shocks me. I mean, it's not great and it's silly but some of the action I loved. The bit where Willis put the guy through the window using the fire extinguisher was awesome.

Not sure you guys are on different pages. Live Free or Die Hard was the 4th film... I think HGR was referring to 5... But seriously, I'm not sure on any of that. :headscratch:

And I enjoyed 4 for what it was. They just went a little too over the top on some parts. It looks like 5 is the same way as well, but I haven't seen it.

The 4th Die Hard movie was a fun action flick, but it wasn't a Die Hard movie. Sure it had Bruce Willis. And sure he was a jackass and saved the day and said all his catchphrases. But the Die Hard series, prior to the 4th, wasn't about giant explosions, ridiculous and unbelievable stunts, etc. The minute he jumped off an exploding highway and flew a truck into a helicopter I knew the series wasn't dead. The biggest "stunt" in the original Die Hard was blowing up the roof of a building - and that was the bad guys; you're supposed to hate them. "Live Fee or Die Hard" was just about throwing Bruce Willis' name on a blockbuster, and milking the series for more money.

Not sure you guys are on different pages. Live Free or Die Hard was the 4th film... I think HGR was referring to 5... But seriously, I'm not sure on any of that. :headscratch:

And I enjoyed 4 for what it was. They just went a little too over the top on some parts. It looks like 5 is the same way as well, but I haven't seen it.

I was shocked at him not enjoying number 4.

Has anybody seen 5? If so, do I give it a watch or shall I not bother?

You're right. It was the the fifth film I didn't like. Got both of them mixed up for some reason.

Has anybody seen 5? If so, do I give it a watch or shall I not bother?

Well, if you're interested, I'd say give it a watch. I watched it in theaters, didn't like it then. Watched it a few weeks ago again, and I still couldn't get into it. Die hard is known for having memorable villains (mainly Jeremy Irons and Alan Rickman), but the antagonists in A Good Day were so dull. And Bruce Willis randomly throwing in a "yippee ki-yay motherfucker" at the end felt like desperate attempt to stir up some nostalgia. At this point, they're just milking the Die Hard franchise, and it's living off of name and reputation alone.

If you want to see an entertaining Die Hard movie that's not actually a Die Hard, watch The Last Boy Scout. The bad guys don't fit the Die Hard mold, but Bruce Willis is still playing basically John Mclane. I think the movie is hilarious. And there's a very young, hot Halle Berry in it.

If you want to see an entertaining Die Hard movie that's not actually a Die Hard, watch The Last Boy Scout. The bad guys don't fit the Die Hard mold, but Bruce Willis is still playing basically John Mclane. I think the movie is hilarious. And there's a very young, hot Halle Berry in it.

This.

Also, it's nice to see Berry in something from the 90's that wasn't mediocre or terrible, and The Last Boy Scout reminds me Damon Wayans was actually relevant at one time.

Unrelated, but they're using part of Al Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday in a Jeep commercial. Doesn't give me the urge to go out and buy a Jeep, but that speech is one of Pacino's best.

This.

Also, it's nice to see Berry in something from the 90's that wasn't mediocre or terrible, and The Last Boy Scout reminds me Damon Wayans was actually relevant at one time.

Hey! In Living Color is still one of my favorite shows. Sucks it only lasted a few seasons. But I have them all on DVD.

Unrelated, but they're using part of Al Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday in a Jeep commercial. Doesn't give me the urge to go out and buy a Jeep, but that speech is one of Pacino's best.

Yeah I noticed that too. It is a good speech. It's not as good as his rant at the end of The Devil's Advocate though.

Hey! In Living Color is still one of my favorite shows. Sucks it only lasted a few seasons. But I have them all on DVD.

Another DVD set (or sets) I need to pick up some day, because I barely remember anything from In Living Color, and I can't seem to find the reruns on TV anywhere. From what I remember, Jim Carrey's Fire Marshal Bill was the funniest character on the show.

Yeah I noticed that too. It is a good speech. It's not as good as his rant at the end of The Devil's Advocate though.

I put The Devil's Advocate speech at #2 for Pacino's best monologues, because the defense of Chris O' Donnell at the end of Scent Of A Woman is still his best speech ever.

Another DVD set (or sets) I need to pick up some day, because I barely remember anything from In Living Color, and I can't seem to find the reruns on TV anywhere. From what I remember, Jim Carrey's Fire Marshal Bill was the funniest character on the show.

Ironic as Fire Marshall Bill will be my new screen name if kb ever gets around to catching up on all the requests. He is definitely the funniest character, but not by as far as you'd think (though Jim Carrey is in almost every sketch because he far and away the funniest cast member). Homey D. Clown (Damon Wayans) was hilarious as well. And Jamie Foxx as Wanda was pretty funny too. Also, three words: Men On Film.

I put The Devil's Advocate speech at #2 for Pacino's best monologues, because the defense of Chris O' Donnell at the end of Scent Of A Woman is still his best speech ever.

See I've only seen Scent Of A Woman once because I can't stand Chris O'Donnell in most things, so I don't remember it.

Ironic as Fire Marshall Bill will be my new screen name if kb ever gets around to catching up on all the requests. He is definitely the funniest character, but not by as far as you'd think (though Jim Carrey is in almost every sketch because he far and away the funniest cast member). Homey D. Clown (Damon Wayans) was hilarious as well. And Jamie Foxx as Wanda was pretty funny too.

Some of those names ring a bell, but I wouldn't be able to recall any skits.

Also, three words: Men On Film.

Something In Living Color related, I guess? Will have to YouTube it later.

See I've only seen Scent Of A Woman once because I can't stand Chris O'Donnell in most things, so I don't remember it.

Lulz. I can still remember you being annoyed by him in the Movies & TV forum, labeling him a "whiny little bitch" character wise. Which is one of the reasons why I couldn't stand him in the crappy Batman films, and I developed a disdain for Robin as a kid after watching both films.

Oh, and the speech:

[YOUTUBE]TPSzV4IbwSg[/YOUTUBE]

Something In Living Color related, I guess? Will have to YouTube it later.

Yes it's one of their semi regular skits. David Alan Grier and Damon Wayans play two flamboyantly gay men giving their takes on movies that were new at the time.

Lulz. I can still remember you being annoyed by him in the Movies & TV forum, labeling him a "whiny little bitch" character wise. Which is one of the reasons why I couldn't stand him in the crappy Batman films, and I developed a disdain for Robin as a kid after watching both films.

Yeah, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that I didn't mind him in, mostly because his part was small and quiet, was School Ties. It's in that lost era of movies that Brendan Frasier made. That's just off the top of my head though.

Oh, and the speech:

[YOUTUBE]TPSzV4IbwSg[/YOUTUBE]

"Oh and Harry, Jimmy and Trent, wherever you are out there, FUCK YOU TOO!" :lmao:

Star Wars marathon this week. I just picked up the blu-ray collection. I've been on the fence about it for almost a year, and today I just finally gave in and picked it up. I was unsure until opening it, and now I'm so glad I bought it. Just asthetically, the box set is one of the nicer things I own. Each disc has it's own thick page (think those old children's books thickness) with art work from the film. Not just a picture from the movie, but hand drawn art that looks like some sort of mixed media; possibly water color and ink? The case is surprisingly small and compact for carrying 9 BR discs! More on the content when I can actually get into it tomorrow. I know there's at least 50 hours of extra stuff in here.

I almost bought the Blu-Ray collection, but I only have PS3, and not an actual Blu-Ray player. I know it's worth the money, but I'm holding out hope for Disney to re-release all the Star Wars films on DVD and Blu-Ray before the new movie comes out.

I still have Episodes 4-6 on VHS and The Phantom Menace (two actually, one regular VHS and a collector's edition VHS), and I still watch each tape every now and then. Got Attack Of The Clones on DVD as a birthday gift years ago, but I don't have Phantom Menace or Revenge Of The Sith on DVD. And truth be told, I don't want either one, because they're too expensive to buy online now.

Multiplex is doing an Iron Man marathon starting Thursday morning. Iron Man 1&2 followed by 3 at the midnight premiere for $30 with an intermission in-between each film. Thought about doing it, but I'd rather wait for the matinee of 3 by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back