Mike & Mitch's Magical Movie Madness (and some TV shows)

Didn't have a problem with Green Zone, can't remember anything else. Well, I guess you could mention the Ocean's films. Not true action, they're crime-capers, but still. Didn't have a problem with the first two, hated 13. Then again, the Ocean's films really pushed and milked the novelty of cramming random big name movie stars past & present into one film.

Always plan on watching The Bourne films, but I never get around to them. Maybe I'll start this weekend after I'm finished drooling (hopefully) over the Evil Dead remake.

You guys sen the Man with the Iron Fists? RZA completely ruins the film but Russel Crowe is as awesome as expecte to be. Batista didn't suck too.

You guys sen the Man with the Iron Fists? RZA completely ruins the film but Russel Crowe is as awesome as expecte to be. Batista didn't suck too.

RZA was horrible in the lead, and his narrating made everything worse. And he's pretty bad during his brief screen time in Retaliation. Batista? Eh, when he's not talking, and smashing everything in his path, I didn't have a problem with him.

Lucy Lui kicks some serious ass in the movie.

She really does. Apparently Liu had to convince RZA to let her have a fight scene which really spells out just how ridiculous his creative vision is.

RZA was horrible in the lead, and his narrating made everything worse. And he's pretty bad during his brief screen time in Retaliation. Batista? Eh, when he's not talking, and smashing everything in his path, I didn't have a problem with him.

The worst thing the film does is have the overly long flashback about RZA's character(Nevermind the fact that the film used a narrative as a means to tell a story first then uses flashback). I actually think i fast-forwarded through that part. Also what was the deal with the guy with the hood? WHY did he wear it?

Guy with the hood? From what I remember, most of the male characters wore hoods. Are you talking about Bronze or Silver Lion?

The guy who constantly shot the darts, he was blonde and hung out with Bronze and Silver Lion. He was the guy Russel Crowe fought at the end.

Ah, yeah. Now I know, who you're talking about. Guessing the hooded figure stuff was supposed to create a more edgy demeanor as a bad-ass. Of course, it didn't work.

Read this earlier today, I almost puked on my keyboard:

Back in July, we featured this blurb from The LA Times, “ “Warner Bros.is quietly exploring the possibility of a prequel to “The Shining,” The studio has solicited the involvement of Hollywood writer-producer Laeta Kalogridis and her partners Bradley Fischer and James Vanderbilt to craft a new take as producers, according to a person familiar with the project who was not authorized to talk about it publicly… The film would focus on what happened before Jack Torrance (of course played memorably onscreen by Jack Nicholson), his wife and their psychic son arrived at the haunted retreat where Torrance soon descends into violent madness. ”

Turns out they were dead-on. It’s been announced today that former “Walking Dead” showrunner Glen Mazzara is the likely candidate to write Overlook Hotel for the studio. Per Deadline, “Glen Mazzara, who ran AMC’s smash hit series The Walking Dead for the past several seasons, will now focus on ghosts. He’s in talks to write The Overlook Hotel, a prequel to the Stanley Kubrick-directed The Shining, based on the Stephen King novel.”

:disappointed: Of all the King adaptations, they just have to pick The Shining. They couldn't pick something nobody really cares about like The Langoliers (ANYTHING would be better than that shitty TV series that aired on ABC years ago). No, they just had to go with The Shining.

About damn time. I know Django came out on Christmas, but I reserved the DVD back in January.

May or may not join in for the marathon, though. Hopefully, you'll skip over Kill Bill Vol. 2. Almost ten years later, and that ending still bothers me. And I'll have to find my Reservoir Dogs DVD in a box somewhere. Probably my favorite DVD set ever, because I have the metal gas can style case.

Ah, I see. Good thing you said that, because I thought about going on a rant for the ending, and that rant would've spoiled the ending for you.

Speaking of Tarantino, what's Grindhouse like? I hear Kurt Russel is pretty great in it.

Kill Bill Vol. 2. was awful compared to the first.

Deathproof was pretty shite at least in my view. Kurt Russel was quite awesome though.

Speaking of Tarantino, what's Grindhouse like? I hear Kurt Russel is pretty great in it.

Deathproof? It's a dull film for the most part, easily Tarantino's weakest effort. The crash, and the multi camera shot/different POV trick at the beginning is kind of cool, and Vanessa Ferlito's dance is always worth watching. But nothing really happens until the very end, when Russel's character meets his match during the big chase scene at the end. Russel probably gave his last really good performance, as the creepy and sadistic stalker (Stuntman Mike), but he couldn't save Deathproof.

Rodriguez's Planet Terror was much better, but that film did have the stronger overall cast, and a brief cameo from Bruce Willis.

Kill Bill Vol. 2. was awful compared to the first

I actually enjoyed Vol. 2....... until the weak ending.

I actually enjoyed Vol. 2....... until the weak ending.

I think that's what ruined the entire film for me. After watch it, I was just so disappointed since I loved the first one. Though I thought the fight between the Bride and Elle was fantastic.

Deathproof? It's a dull film for the most part, easily Tarantino's weakest effort. The crash, and the multi camera shot/different POV trick at the beginning is kind of cool, and Vanessa Ferlito's dance is always worth watching. But nothing really happens until the very end, when Russel's character meets his match during the big chase scene at the end. Russel probably gave his last really good performance, as the creepy and sadistic stalker (Stuntman Mike), but he couldn't save Deathproof.

Rodriguez's Planet Terror was much better, but that film did have the stronger overall cast, and a brief cameo from Bruce Willis.

That's a shame then. I rather like Kurt Russel and i was hoping this would be good. He was supposed to be in Django too but dropped out because allegedly he wants to spend more time at home. Might still give it a watch but damn the film is over 3 hours, that's a little staggering for one sitting.

Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill, Vol. 1
Kill Bill, Vol. 2
Inglorious Bastards
Django Unchained

That's the list of movies I'd like to watch for a marathon. Unfortunately, that's going to take about 16 hours to get through. Anybody have a free day tomorrow they want to spend watching the first three or four? I can help you find means of watching them, if you don't already own the films. So long as you're not super into ethics and morality and all that hoopla.

If I can get a definite from anybody, I'll even make a real schedule and thread for it. I'm working WZ tomorrow, so I need some way of passing the time without being bored out of my mind.

I think that's what ruined the entire film for me. After watch it, I was just so disappointed since I loved the first one. Though I thought the fight between the Bride and Elle was fantastic.

Yeah, and Uma breaking out of the coffin underground was pretty cool too. And Michael Madsen's death was hilarious, and really messed up at the same time. But I honestly don't understand Tarantino's mindset for the battles. It's like he started out with dessert (Uma VS Vivca Fox in part 1), then the main courses (the bloodbath of Uma taking out an entire clan by herself, and Lucy Liu VS Uma in Part 1), and then settled for an appetizer to end it all in Vol. 2 (Bill VS Uma). Weird structure.

That's a shame then. I rather like Kurt Russel and i was hoping this would be good. He was supposed to be in Django too but dropped out because allegedly he wants to spend more time at home.

Walton Goggins was his replacement. Not a step down or bad choice at all.

Might still give it a watch but damn the film is over 3 hours, that's a little staggering for one sitting.

You're talking about watching both Planet Terror and Deathproof together, right? Because if I'm not mistaken, Deathproof is under two hours. Good luck with that, if you're going to watch both, though. I flat out refused to sit through both in one showing for the big screen, and I'm pretty sure that's why the Grindhouse experiment flopped in theaters. I waited for both DVDs, can't sit in a theater that long.

Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill, Vol. 1
Kill Bill, Vol. 2
Inglorious Bastards
Django Unchained

That's the list of movies I'd like to watch for a marathon. Unfortunately, that's going to take about 16 hours to get through. Anybody have a free day tomorrow they want to spend watching the first three or four? I can help you find means of watching them, if you don't already own the films. So long as you're not super into ethics and morality and all that hoopla.

If I can get a definite from anybody, I'll even make a real schedule and thread for it. I'm working WZ tomorrow, so I need some way of passing the time without being bored out of my mind.

Would love to join, but wouldn't have the time tomorrow, HGR (or any day coming up soon). Funny you mention so much Tarantino stuff, because I went on another Jackie Brown and Inglorious Bastards replay fest last week. But I'm back on horror stuff now.

So I went and saw Olympus Has Fallen again Saturday and was disappointed they didn't have a White House Down preview for it. That would've been funny. Of course, now that I think about it, we might've been testing the Timecop theory of the same matter occupying the same space at the same time...

Holy shit. I was just talking about Kurt Russel here and last night The Thing was on! Still has the best jumpscare ever.

I really liked Kurt Russell in Deathproof, until he pussed out at the very end. Really disappointing. :disappointed:

And I don't think anything could've saved KB Vol. 2. The first one was so good and left such a good cliffhanger it was almost impossible for it to live up to the hype.

So I went and saw Olympus Has Fallen again Saturday and was disappointed they didn't have a White House Down preview for it.

It's an okay trailer. The pairing of Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx feels odd (especially in the trailer), and Jamie Foxx as the President? Eh, I don't know about that one. Then again, I wasn't sure about Foxx as Django, and he really nailed the character.

That would've been funny. Of course, now that I think about it, we might've been testing the Timecop theory of the same matter occupying the same space at the same time...

:confused:

Holy shit. I was just talking about Kurt Russel here and last night The Thing was on! Still has the best jumpscare ever.

You're talking about the jumpscare that involves Fuchs sitting in the laboratory, as the lights go out, and some shadowy figure runs past the screen as Fuchs tries to light a candle, right? If so, that was a great jumpscare!

I really liked Kurt Russell in Deathproof, until he pussed out at the very end. Really disappointing. :disappointed:

Yeah, it's a shame how Stuntman Mike is this cold-hearted killer throughout the movie, and he suddenly turns into the world's biggest wuss, when Rosario Dawson's crew decides to stand up and fight.

And I don't think anything could've saved KB Vol. 2. The first one was so good and left such a good cliffhanger it was almost impossible for it to live up to the hype.

Tarantino set the bar SO high in Kill Bill Vol. 1. I mean, he gave away the best fight sequences, and the best villains. I was convinced nothing would top Lucy Liu's O-Ren Ishii, and Gogo (I'm 99% sure that's the same chick from Battle Royale) was the PERFECT compliment for her character. I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, Bill couldn't live up to the hype in Vol. 2.

Took a trip to the theater to watch 42 the other day. Solid and satisfying biopic with Harrison Ford delivering the best performance. Although, it could've been a lot better, and I guess you could say playing it too safe was 42's only true weakness.

You're talking about the jumpscare that involves Fuchs sitting in the laboratory, as the lights go out, and some shadowy figure runs past the screen as Fuchs tries to light a candle, right? If so, that was a great jumpscare!

No not that one but the film is filled with great ones that are actually well placed and not just some crappy quick noise. Another great one is when the guys stomach opens into teeth and bites the doctors hands off. The best one for me though is the part where they were shocking the blood and just when you think you know which of them is the thing, bam! It's actually Palmer. Also there's a rather interesting fan theory about the end of the thing which i guess i'll spoiler:

The bottle that Kurt Russell offers Keith David towards the end of The Thing is actually one of the Molotov cocktails they were chucking around earlier. David’s character would obviously recognise that he was chugging down a bottle of gasoline. But the Thing wouldn’t…
Although MacReady had given up on all hope of being saved, he probably wanted the comfort of knowing whether or not Childs was the thing or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back