Mike & Mitch's Magical Movie Madness (and some TV shows)

The Evil Dead TV spots started popping up in frequent rotation last week. Ugh, the anticipation is killing me! Only two more weeks! Well, it could be one, because they're having select screenings on the 28th, but I'm 99% sure I'll be working on the 28th.

Finally, the Escape To New York remake is going to happen, and they're planning on producing a whole new trilogy. Gerard Butler, Jeremy Renner, and Tom Hardy were rumored to play Snake Plissken, but that was years ago. Out of the three, Butler is the only one, who fits the profile of a realistic option now.

And Paramount is planning a sequel to Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters. Excited and bummed out at the same time, because I honestly can't picture returns from Renner, Gemma Arterton, or Famke Janssen.

Can't be worse than that dreadful sequel, Escape from LA.

I still enjoy Escape From L.A., but it's not a quality film, of course. I just enjoy it as fun trash. Although, Pam Grier's transsexual Hershe character is really bad. Not fun bad, just bad.

Was Hansel and Gretel good? I thought it looked alright.

It's a mindless fun parody film with cheesy comedy, and lots of blood and violence. Nothing spectacular, but I loved the over the top silliness.

So anybody else realize that things are coming out on Blu-ray WAY quicker than they used to? I say this because Zero Dark Thirty is already out. That's exactly 4 months between theatrical release, and hitting store shelves. There are still theaters around my house playing it on the smaller screens.

That's also something I LOVE about Portland - they have a bunch of independent theaters that play things for months and months after they go out of circulation on the major circuit. But there's also your major theaters with 30 screens. One in particular I like has a slightly curved screen and reclining leather seats. We also have a luxury theater I haven't been to that serves you food and lets you order alcohol during the film.

So anybody else realize that things are coming out on Blu-ray WAY quicker than they used to? I say this because Zero Dark Thirty is already out. That's exactly 4 months between theatrical release, and hitting store shelves. There are still theaters around my house playing it on the smaller screens.

That's also something I LOVE about Portland - they have a bunch of independent theaters that play things for months and months after they go out of circulation on the major circuit. But there's also your major theaters with 30 screens. One in particular I like has a slightly curved screen and reclining leather seats. We also have a luxury theater I haven't been to that serves you food and lets you order alcohol during the film.

24 is the most for me. It's a huge theater, but recently (maybe a year or more), they added this bullshit called Extreme Digital and Extreme Digital 3D (or XD and XD 3D). It's a cheap rip-off of the IMAX and IMAX 3D formats. I mean, the screen is bigger, and the theater itself is more fancy (lighting, curtains, carpet, etc.), but it's not IMAX or IMAX 3D. I've seen both formats, and it's not even close.

They also serve food at my theater, giving you more choices than the usual popcorn, nachos, and overpriced candy. Pizza, Chicken Fingers with fries, and mozzarella sticks with fries, and a bunch of other stuff I'll never touch again (some awful ice cream/cookie dough bites....yuck). Ironically enough, there's an Applebee's and T.G.I. Fridays near the multiplex, and the movie theater serves better food than you shit you get at Fridays and Applebees, and for a better price.

I really like curved screens. Especially at the theater by my house, because it's not any more expensive. $10 all the time, except for when they maybe have discount days. I haven't looked into it. Anyways, curved screens rock. It really brings you into the film, and adds almost another half-dimension to the viewing. Probably the biggest non-IMAX movie experience I've had. Not all the screens have it, but if you go see something new it's bound to be in one of the big rooms.

The XD theaters are nice to be in sometimes, I won't deny that. It's pricy (the regualr XD is $13.50 and the XD 3D is $15.50), but sometimes I'll take the XD or XD 3D, because I don't feel like watiting another three or four hours for another regular format showing. But the layout isn't without its flaws. You better grab a seat towards the middle or the top, because if you sit too close to the floor, the railing and lower level seats block the lower half of the screen.

In other news, just read an article about Sony's plans to produce a Goosebumps film franchise. Loved the books and the TV shows as a kid, but I'm not 100% sure about watching a series of films now.

In other news, just read an article about Sony's plans to produce a Goosebumps film franchise. Loved the books and the TV shows as a kid, but I'm not 100% sure about watching a series of films now.

Depends on what their target audience is. Obviously the books were like horror for kids. But you can get away with that in print - they're never going to be able to genuinely scare kids in movie format and keep a PG rating. And if they're being made for adults who used to read the books at all, they loose their whole function entirely.

I got my Blu-ray of "Rise of the Guardians" in the mail today. Currently watching it with some friends actually. One thing that will probably become apparent with this thread is that I'm obsessed with animation. The team behind this movie - and to a smaller degree "How to Train Your Dragon" - is scary good at particle effects. The battles between Pitch and the Sandman, I swear, are just DreamWorks saying "LOOK AT OUR AWESOME PARTICLE EFFECTS!"

Depends on what their target audience is. Obviously the books were like horror for kids. But you can get away with that in print - they're never going to be able to genuinely scare kids in movie format and keep a PG rating. And if they're being made for adults who used to read the books at all, they loose their whole function entirely.

True. It's a slippery slope either way, because the shows were very hokey and juvenile. It could work if they try a full-blown comedy approach, because you're not going to scare too many people with a diabolical cuckoo clock, a dummy named Slappy, or walking jack-o-lanterns. I want to have some hope for Goosebumps films, but if the old intro for the show is any indication of what we might see in theaters, then they're in trouble.

I still have a bunch of movies to watch, but I picked up the Chucky set last week at Wal-Mart. Cheap price, and cool box cover, but it doesn't include the original.

51134TJ3BKL.jpg

I already have it, but still, you make a Chucky box set including the abomination Seed Of Chucky, but you leave out the original? I still can't believe it.

How To Train Your Dragon is the shit. Possibly also a euphemism for masterbating too.

Either of you fellas watch Friday Night Lights? Revisiting the first season at the moment and while I remember all the big dramatic moments, I forgot a whole bunch of the smaller comedy ones. Definitely recommended.

It's been a while since I watched the 3rd and 4th seasons, still got the 5th to get round to too. The 2nd season starting off with Julie being a cunt to Saracen didn't sit too well with me but it gathered some speed towards the end.

I think it's the 3rd season where all of a sudden there's ANOTHER part of Dillon no one had even hinted at before seemed like a bit of a reaction to how well The Wire was doing. Shit, the QB for East Dillon was one of the guys from the 1st season of The Wire.

Still keen to get all caught up again, but 1st is definitely the best.

The whole thing with Tyra and Landry was awful, but season two wasn't actually all that bad. I liked season three, too. Four and five were hit and miss for me. The series finale is spectacular, though -- you should be looking forward to that.

I really love Landry, or Lance (such a good running joke), but yeh, the whole Tyra assault aftermath was pretty shoddy.

Connie Britton is easily the best female in the show, possibly even the best actor of the whole thing.

I liked the initial cast a lot, so much so that I think I soured on seasons 4 and 5 because they were missing some of the original cast -- although, the newer characters more than made up for it.

She's great. I think Kyle Chandler's probably the best actor on the entire cast, but she's definitely giving him a run for his money.

That's a fair point, changing up so much of the cast was a risky move, especially as those who left were such a big part of the initial investment I had for getting into the show; Jason Street and Saracen being the main ones.

Acting wise Taylor Kitsch is a fair distance behind the Taylor's but Riggins is a great character for the show. Kinda worried what may happen with him in season 5 though.

How To Train Your Dragon is the shit. Possibly also a euphemism for masterbating too.

Lulz. Don't know the exact reason why, but I don't watch too many animated films now a days. Wreck-it-Ralph was the last animated film I watched (I think), and before that, I had to force myself to watch Toy Story 3. Now I'm tempted to watch How To Train Your Dragon.

Either of you fellas watch Friday Night Lights? Revisiting the first season at the moment and while I remember all the big dramatic moments, I forgot a whole bunch of the smaller comedy ones. Definitely recommended.

No, but I've always wanted to give it a try, and I will somewhere down the line. Funny thing, the movie is always on Starz ans Encore, but I've never took the time to watch it. Or, if I try to watch it, I always catch it in the middle, or towards the end, so I switch to something else.

Watched Jack The Giant Slayer a few nights ago in 3D. Okay movie, but it could've been better. Olympus Has Fallen on Saturday, and I'll try to think of something for Tuesday or Wednesday.

Indeed. I think the only edge I would give the film over the show is that they used the original versions of some Explosions in the Sky songs. Film is still good but the show is able to take its time getting you to care more about the non-football stuff.

The movie is nowhere near as good as the show. If you're going to watch Friday Night Lights, stick to the tv series.

Indeed. I think the only edge I would give the film over the show is that they used the original versions of some Explosions in the Sky songs. Film is still good but the show is able to take its time getting you to care more about the non-football stuff.

Storyline wise, the movie doesn't tie into the TV series, so I won't miss anything, right? Tempted by the movie, because Billy Bob sounds like an ideal choice to portray a football coach, but Lucas Black is also in the movie, and he's usually terrible at everything.

I rented "End of Watch" and "Flight" on blu-ray. Probably going to watch one or both of them today.

Great endings to both films. Although, End Of Watch is the more gut-wrenching of the two, easily. Flight's finale was done well, but as it unfolds, you can see where everything is going.

Storyline wise, the movie doesn't tie into the TV series, so I won't miss anything, right? Tempted by the movie, because Billy Bob sounds like an ideal choice to portray a football coach, but Lucas Black is also in the movie, and he's usually terrible at everything.

Yeh the movie is stand alone to the series. Connie Britton and a guy who plays a business owner whose name escapes me are the only 2 who appear in both the series and film and play similar characters.

Billy Bob is good but the acting in the series is better. If you enjoy the film, you'll love the series.

They're making another Riddick film, not sure why. I enjoy Chronicles and Pitch Black, but a third film feels so unnecessary.

[YOUTUBE]IFBrpKoiCq8[/YOUTUBE]​

Diesel reprises his role as the antihero Riddick, a dangerous, escaped convict wanted by every bounty hunter in the known galaxy. The infamous Riddick has been left for dead on a sun-scorched planet that appears to be lifeless. Soon, however, he finds himself fighting for survival against alien predators more lethal than any human he’s encountered. The only way off is for Riddick to activate an emergency beacon and alert mercenaries who rapidly descend to the planet in search of their bounty.

The first ship to arrive carries a new breed of merc, more lethal and violent, while the second is captained by a man whose pursuit of Riddick is more personal. With time running out and a storm on the horizon that no one could survive, his hunters won’t leave the planet without Riddick’s head as their trophy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back