Sideboard

2 Phantasmal Image
1 Spirit Mantle
3 Triumph of Ferocity
2 Celestial Purge
2 Naturalize
2 Negate
3 Corrosive Gale

New deck I made last night. It's brutal and I think can pass Delver as one of the top Standard decks. This is what I plan on playing at the next GPQ in June.

won a free box of Avacyn Restored, turned out to be a really good box.

Foil Tamiyo, The Moon Sage
Temporal Mastery
Griselbrand
Entreat the Angels
Vexing Devil

Nice, I won a Grand Prix Trial today. Winner got a whole box and 250$ cash. I played Hex Blade, which pissed everyone at.

In my box I got a foil Tamiyo and a non foil, Foil Avacyn, Entreat of the Angels, and Bonfire of the Damn.

In searching for an activity that my lady friend and I could partake in when we're not having copious amounts of ridiculously steamy sex, I've picked up an interest in Magic: The Gathering. A few of her coworkers play it and she said it looked interesting. We were also having way too much sex, but I digress.

I've read through a number of rulebooks and guides, as well as various "How to Play Magic" videos on Youtube so I got the basics of the game down, but I'm hoping to get to the local comic shop to actually sit down with someone and bang out all of the rules and strategies. I've also purchased the Duels of the Plainswalker game for the PS3. If anyone else plays this game on their PS3, let me know and maybe we can work out a game together because I could use all of the help I can get.

There are a lot of things mentioned in this thread that are completely over my head at this point, but I imagine would come with time. For example: "milling" and specific cards you guys have mentioned and seem to get excited for, I have no clue on.

Because we're not sure if this would be something that we like, or if we would really have a lot of time to play, I was convinced to pick up the Koth vs Vensor Duel Deck to start. This would allow us to each have our own deck for when we begin to play. Was this a poor investment? Can I use cards in these decks to build another deck if I choose to do so down the line? In a very brief discussion with another customer at the comic shop, he said that not too many people played that style of game. I'm confused and was initially let to believe that this was essentially just a pre-made starter deck to use to jump into games with. Is there a specific style of gameplay that can only use Duel Decks?

I also picked up well over a hundred various and random MTG cards for a dollar at a garage sale. Would these cares be eligible for any decks? How do I tell?

I think that's all of the questions that I have now, but I look forward to hopefully being able to contribute to this thread in the future. Any help/suggestions/tips etc. that anyone can provide for me now would be greatly appreciated.

Ok there is a certain type of game most comic shops play. It's called Standard or Type 2. Basically every year set's rotate out and you can't use them in standard anymore. I'll give you the list of set's that are legal right now in a bit. The dual deck's you picked up (Koth and Venser) are both in Modern format. So you wouldn't be able to play the decks in standard tournaments. However, Both of the plainswalkers themselves are in Standard, so you may use both Koth and Venser. For a new player, I would suggest playing Green. Green has a very easy play. Basically you may use cards to get you mana faster. Rampant Growth is a good one. For one Green and a colorless mana you may search you're deck fora basic land card and put it on the field tapped. Mana is you're key source. I suggest you build a 60 card deck with 25 lands unless you are playing one color then you may drop it down. Don't overdo you're deck with creatures because while beating you're opponent to death with creatures do win you matches, One board wipe card would actually hurt you. By board wipe I mean a card that destroys all creatures or does something to remove them from the field. M13 is the next set and if you google "M13 spoiler" it will actaully give you all the cards that have been spoiled in the set so far. I would suggest buying cards from this set. Avoid cards from Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodon Besieged, and New Phyrexia because they are going out in August.

The sets that are legal in type 2 right now are: M12, Scars, Besieged, New Phyrexia, Innistrad, Dark Ascension, and Avancy Restored. That last three are going to be playable for a whole year in standard so I suggest getting those cards to help you build you're decks.

http://starcitygames.com/

That's a website to basically you can get any card ever printed there. Getting into Magic can be a little pricey if you want to keep up with everyone else in the tournament but if you want to play for fun it can be very cheap as well.

http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=174604

I suggest buying one of these because it comes with 4 booster backs, a bunch of common and uncommon cards, and a shit ton of lands to help you start. Another thing you can buy is a fatpack which includes 9 booster packs, a rulebook, a spin-down die, and some lands as well. I've seen some amazing pulls with those too. I pulled a foil plainswalker from my first fatpack during M12. Foil Chandra the Firebrand. My friend pulled 2 Sorin, Lord of Innistard during the Dark Ascension fatpack pre-release.

I hope this helped alot and if you have anymore questions let me know.

Sorry it took so long for me to reply to your post with an update.

Regarding the Vensor vs Koth decks: I'm kind of pissed because it's almost wasted money. I was lead to believe that this would be a good place to start for two people getting into the game, only to find out later that they really just play against themselves and aren't really used in regular games.

I counted the cards that I bought for a dollar at a yard sale and there were 376 cards from a number of sets. I haven't really looked too deeply to see what ones could be played competitively yet, but 376 cards for a dollar is an awesome deal, especially for just playing with friends or casual games.

My wife's boss plays Magic and Lacey told him that I was trying to learn. He invited us into his office and let me use one of his decks and taught me the game. Like I've said, I had a basic idea of how the play, but this was very handy to have someone teach me some strategy and explain why certain moves that I had a habit of making weren't wise ones to make.

Since our sit-down game, I've been cleaning up on the Duel's of the Planeswalker PS3 Game and have been enjoying it way more than I did when I was just guessing my way through a match. I'm 5-1 when playing online against other people.

Shortly after my last post, I ended up purchasing the Death's Encroach Event Deck. Originally I was going to get two into packs so the wifey and I could each have one to learn the game, but then I figured that even if she doesn't like it and I do, I could at least be semi-competitive with the Event Deck.

I've made some changes to the Event Deck and it currently looks like such:

Library

]1 x Grave Titan
3 x Geralf’s Messenger
2 x Crypt Creeper
2 x Cemertery Reaper
4 x Diregraf Ghoul
4 x Gravecrawler
4 x Butcher Ghoul
2 x Lashwrithe
3 x Despise
1 x Doom Blade
3 x Go for the Throat
4 x Barter in Blood
3 x Dismember
24 x Land (Including 1 x Cavern of Souls)

Sideboard

1 x Ghoulraiser
1 x Surgical Extraction
3 x Deathmark
2 x Crypt Creeper
2 x Appetite for Brains
1 x Despise
2 x Distress
3 x Triumph of Cruelty

I have yet to actually play a match with it, but the deck that I primarily use in the PS3 game is a Zombie deck with a few similar cards and I adore how it works. I'm hoping this deck will play the same.

I'm sure I'll make a few small changes eventually, like possibly adding another Grave Titan and Geralf's Messanger to it. I most definitely am up for suggestions and feedback regarding this deck.

I've become near obsessed with picking up cards whenever possible. I can't even guess as to how many booster's I've picked up. If I was to make an educated guess, I'd say fifty. Life has been so busy that I haven't really had time to go through everything, make more decks and even just see what cards I have. I did manage to quickly go through everything and pull my rares and mythic rares.

Rares

1 x Terminus
2 x Angel of Jubilation
2 x Riders of Gavony (1 foiled)
1 x Mogg Sentry
1 x Mana Flare
2 x Dual Casting
1 x Rite of Ruin
1 x Burn at the Stake
1 x Zealous Conscripts
1 x Archwing Dragon
1 x Reforge the Soul
2 x Arcane Melee
1 x Lunar Mystic
1 x Spirit Away
1 x Deadeye Navigator
1 x Captain of the Mists
1 x Infinite Reflection
1 x Descendant’s Path
1 x Revenge of the Hunted
1 x Wild Defiance
1 x Exquisite Blood
1 x Endemic Plague
1 x Demonic Rising
1 x Gloom Surgeon
1 x Necrogen Mists
1 x Gemini Engine
1 x Otherworld Atlas
2 x Alchemist’s Refuge (1 foiled)
1 x Sulfur Falls
1 x Slayers’ Stronghold

Mythic Rares

1 x Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded
2 x Bruna, Light of Alabaster
1 x Havengul Lich
1 x Descent into Madness
1 x Craterhoof Behemoth
2 x Misthollow Griffin
2 x Entreat the Angels (1 foiled)

I very much look forward to life slowing down eventually so I can continue to explore this game. I'm probably going to hold of purchasing anymore cards until the next set comes out next month. I'm hoping to find a pre-release tournament nearby that I can get to and see what that's like.

A few MTG websites that I use:
http://www.magic.tcgplayer.com

http://www.magic.tcgplayer.com/magic_price_guide.aspx

http://www.magicdeckbuilder.com

http://www.starcitygames.com

http://www.gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Default.aspx

Alright, so. I'm trying to get into Magic a bit. I expect things will ramp up when I get back to college and can hook up with the club there, but for now, my group of friends (some of whom I suspect are inept) and you guys are all I've got. So...help me, dear friends. I have several questions, which I would be quite grateful for assistance with.

The first regards deck-building...where can I go to learn the ways of this mysterious art? Are there websites, guides, so on and so forth, where basic principles are laid out? Or is it generally just cribbing off of the decks that win big at tournaments? Or a combination of those two? I suppose the question I'm really is asking is - how do I get better at deck-building?

The second is if anyone would look over this deck I got in a draft the other day. It was basically my first ever experience with Magic and I feel I got fucked over pretty well, as a function of not knowing what the hell I was doing and the guy right next to me also building a Green deck, which is fair enough, I guess. Apparently my cards are worth around $20-30 or so, though, and I only paid $10, so I guess it worked out. Here's the deck (it's all Avacyn Restored):

24 Forest
1 Borderland Ranger
1 Flowering Lumberknot
1 Geist Trappers
1 Gloomwidow
2 Howlgeist
1 Pathbreaker Wurm
1 Trusted Forcemage
1 Vorstclaw
1 Wandering Wolf
3 Wildwood Geist
1 Wolfir Avenger
1 Wolfir Silverheart
1 Yew Spirit
1 Bladed Bracers
1 Descendant's Path
1 Eaten By Spiders
2 Grounded
2 Joint Assault
2 Lair Delve
2 Natural End
1 Rain of Thorns
1 Scroll of Avacyn
1 Scroll of Griselbrand
1 Sheltering Word
1 Snare the Skies
2 Triumph of Ferocity
2 Vanguard's Shield

No sideboard for this, just 60 AR cards. My impressions is that it could play alright. There's a lot of soulbinding happening, but it has a high ACC (have I used that in the correct context?). I feel as though if I draw 3 land in my opening hand which I have a pretty good shot of doing I can do well with this deck. If not, I think I have good defense that would allow me to survive until I can get the creatures out, at which point it becomes a matter of just swinging away. I'm sure there's numerous gaping holes in it that will rip it apart, of course.

The final question is: is there a glossary or something for all your fancy lingo? Or can I just ask you to define everything you say? The words that have confused me so far: 'ramp', 'mill', and 'wolfrun'.

Copious rep and no doubt WZCW favors (kidding) will come to those who offer assistance.

Thanks.

Well, I am a good player. So if you have any questions about the game just ask me in here or shoot a pm.

Merkley- I am damn jealous you pulled a foil Entreat of the Angels. Such a great card. I am glad you are getting better hang of it. I'm sure you might know this but here is you should play every turn:

Untap phase
Upkeep phase
Draw phase
Attack phase
Second Main phase

Inbetween the Draw phase and Attack phase there is Main phase one but it's irrelevant because if you use it, you're opponents might have a response. However, if you delcare you're attacks first, you're opponent might due something there. Always attack before you play a spell.

Harthan, Mono green is so great in the format right now.

1 Ulvenwald Tracker
4 Revenge of the Hunted
3 Wolfir Silverheart
3 Wolfir Avenger
3 Strangleroot Geist
4 Dungrove Elder
2 Sword of War and Peace
2 Phyrexian Metamorph
2 Beast Within
4 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Bellowing Tanglewurm
22 Forest
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Birds of Paradise

Sideboard
1 Wolfir Silverheart
2 Triumph of Ferocity
1 Wolfir Avenger
1 Crushing Vines
2 Garruk Relentless
1 Stingerfling Spider
1 Batterskull
1 Beast Within
2 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Viridian Corrupter
1 Naturalize

That is my mono Green right now. I won a month in a row at Friday Night Magic. It's very fun.

Just to let ya'll know, a lot of players especially playing mono colors, will play only 22 land. However, I don't play a deck without 24 even with mana ramp like Birds of Paraydse and Llanowar Elves. I made a deck called Hallelujah, it's raining men! today and it's amazing. Here it is:

3 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
4 Entreat the Angels
4 Temporal Mastery
2 Desolate Lighthouse
2 Bonfire of the Damned
4 Terminus
2 Sulfur Falls
4 Pristine Talisman
1 Karn Liberated
1 Noxious Revival
1 Blue Sun's Zenith
4 Seachrome Coast
2 Gideon Jura
3 Evolving Wilds
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Ponder
4 Think Twice
6 Plains
3 Island
1 Mountain
1 Dissipate

Sideboard
1 Bonfire of the Damned
3 Timely Reinforcements
1 Jace, Memory Adept
1 Druidic Satchel
2 Day of Judgment
1 Celestial Purge
3 Negate
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Flashfreeze
1 Dissipate

Such a great control deck and it absolutly stops a lot of threats in the current format including Delver of Secrets and Wolfrun Ramp.

Harthan, the site I use to find decks are

starcitygames.com

tcgplayer.com

Those two sites are amazing for competitive and casual play. Let me know if ya'll have any more questions.

Harthan! I'm glad to see another MTG rookie in here, and I couldn't be more ecstatic that it's someone like yourself. I'm not sure if I can reply to this whole post due to time, or how much water my input has considering I'm very new as well, but I've noticed that you are asking a lot of the same questions that I did.

The first regards deck-building...where can I go to learn the ways of this mysterious art? Are there websites, guides, so on and so forth, where basic principles are laid out? Or is it generally just cribbing off of the decks that win big at tournaments? Or a combination of those two? I suppose the question I'm really is asking is - how do I get better at deck-building?

This is where I'm at right now. I plan on attempting to put together my first deck tomorrow night. My first deck was the Zombie Event Deck that's out and it's KILLER! Especially with the changes that I've made. It doesn't take long before the zombies to swarm and out number the opponent.

I recently stumbled upon this: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/academy/home

In the table of contents in the bottom of the page, Article 3 discusses building your first deck. That article also links you to other articles that talk about deckbuilding. There is also a section on the left hand side of the screen (I believe) that's "Building on a Budget" or something along those lines.

The second is if anyone would look over this deck I got in a draft the other day. It was basically my first ever experience with Magic and I feel I got fucked over pretty well, as a function of not knowing what the hell I was doing and the guy right next to me also building a Green deck, which is fair enough, I guess. Apparently my cards are worth around $20-30 or so, though, and I only paid $10, so I guess it worked out. Here's the deck (it's all Avacyn Restored):

24 Forest
1 Borderland Ranger
1 Flowering Lumberknot
1 Geist Trappers
1 Gloomwidow
2 Howlgeist
1 Pathbreaker Wurm
1 Trusted Forcemage
1 Vorstclaw
1 Wandering Wolf
3 Wildwood Geist
1 Wolfir Avenger
1 Wolfir Silverheart
1 Yew Spirit
1 Bladed Bracers
1 Descendant's Path
1 Eaten By Spiders
2 Grounded
2 Joint Assault
2 Lair Delve
2 Natural End
1 Rain of Thorns
1 Scroll of Avacyn
1 Scroll of Griselbrand
1 Sheltering Word
1 Snare the Skies
2 Triumph of Ferocity
2 Vanguard's Shield

No sideboard for this, just 60 AR cards. My impressions is that it could play alright. There's a lot of soulbinding happening, but it has a high ACC (have I used that in the correct context?). I feel as though if I draw 3 land in my opening hand which I have a pretty good shot of doing I can do well with this deck. If not, I think I have good defense that would allow me to survive until I can get the creatures out, at which point it becomes a matter of just swinging away. I'm sure there's numerous gaping holes in it that will rip it apart, of course.

I can't be much help in this category yet as I'm no where near a point where I know the cards off of the top of my head, and I'm at work so I can't even check them out right now.

I can direct you to: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Defaults.aspx

You'll be able to search your cards and read comments about them.

I think my first deck that I put together myself will be a green deck, so I may be able to give you some feedback afterwards.

The final question is: is there a glossary or something for all your fancy lingo? Or can I just ask you to define everything you say? The words that have confused me so far: 'ramp', 'mill', and 'wolfrun'.

I know, right?!

I literally just stumbled upon this before reading your post. Well, actually it was a different one but I can't seem to find it. I haven't check this one out yet.

http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1418/~/magic%3A-glossary-a-d

You have no idea how much of a pain that was typing out by hand as I read it off of my phone.

Copious rep and no doubt WZCW favors (kidding) will come to those who offer assistance.

Thanks.

I do what I can. Again, I'm not sure how much help I can be as I'm just starting out as well, but I have been having tons of fun so far and look forward to the Magic 2013 Core Set being released next month.

Have you seen the new card 'Woldfire'? It's insane and I have no idea where to even begin with it.

Worldfire-M13-Spoiler.jpg

Harthan, you might also find the Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalker game on the PSN handy for learning. I tried playing it with my basic knowledge to get a feel of the game, and now that I know the game much better, it's an extremely fun game to get into to help learn cards and strategy. It has it's issues, but when it comes to playing a match against AI or online against an actual opponent, it's fun stuff and highly recommended. Let me know if you get it and we'll play a few matches together.

Good luck. Report back how any of your matches go.

Thanks.

Ok, Ramp is green spells used to get more mana.
Image.ashx

51c3JyV3OLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Mill is using spells to make you're opponent discard cards from their deck. Not many mill decks right now but a good one is jace which is a plainswalker.

Wolfrun is a green/other color deck that uses ramp to get alot of lands before your opponent can get anything going. Then you pop a land card called Wolf Run Wild on the feild that gives a target creature plus X/0 and trample until the end of turn. Use it on Inkmoth nexus (another land) that that yo can make a 1/1 infect creature and pump it up with all the land you got from the ramp and you can win easily on turn 5 or 6 without taking little or no damage at all. It's a very fun deck and I won another Grand Prix Trial with it yesterday.

Thanks Merk and Ryder, you guys have been super helpful. I haven't checked out all of your links and such yet, but I wanted to report on how that deck worked out. I played with a friend last night using it against his red deck that also came from the draft, and I did well against it. Probably won about 2/3 times. I also played it against his black deck which is not Standard legal and it did worse - I think I have a losing record against it. I find that the way my deck plays is essentially get land, play some high cost creatures, soulbind, and swing for mega damage to crush the opposition. Obviously not getting the right balance of land and creatures hurts, and I'd like to work in some more cards that I can use to maybe ride out the wait if I run into one. Some low cost green creatures or cheap instants that could either counteract player damage or let me draw cards. I'm noticing that Triumph of Ferocity is basically ownage, and I think I'll run four of them when I revise this deck. I also enjoy Woflir Silverheart very much but wonder if I could do what he does a little more creatively, because he is expensive.

Mostly directed at Ryder or other veterans, but I'd appreciate thoughts from anyone else, do you think a straight green is the best way to go with this? So far I think it's going really well. With all the cards I have I'm thinking of building a blue around Tamiyo, and either a white or white/red. Not sure what I'd have left after that but I find myself with loads of green so maybe a green/black? Or if I build straight white, maybe a red/black, but it occurs to me that I've never really seen that deck, and it's probably for a reason.

EDIT: In response to Ryder's latest. That sounds awesome and probably what it would be best to turn this deck into when our little tournament is over.

Ok newer players always hate blue. It's the hardest of the 5 colors to play. I stronly suggest playing something besides blue right now since you are still learning to play. Wolfir Silverheart is absolutly amazing with Birds of Paradise and Invisible Stalker. Fun deck to play is Blue/Green Mirracles. I'll post a deck list at the end. Tamiyo, the Moon is so powerful it's not even funny. I run 3 in my Hallelujah deck.

Just to let you all know, M13 is coming out in July, so October will the last month for Scars of Mirrodon, Mirrodon Besieged, and New Phyrexia sets. They are rotating out. So I would hold off buying those cards.

I have a green deck lying around at home, focuses on getting land out quickly and makes creatures as cheap as possible. Combined with Blanchwood Armor and Overrun it's a very simple and easy to play but insanely fun deck.

Had I the money I would invest in getting some boosters for the latest edition but I sadly don't (DND5 is coming out soon, and hopefully it won't suck so I need to be saving my money for it)

I don't even buy boosters anymore. I just buy a playset of everything when the set comes out...A play set is 4 of each card for those who needed to know :D...Anyone going to play FNM (Friday Night Magic) tommorow night?

I don't even buy boosters anymore. I just buy a playset of everything when the set comes out...A play set is 4 of each card for those who needed to know :D...Anyone going to play FNM (Friday Night Magic) tommorow night?

They do those? How much do they cost? Dare I even ask? How many lands are included?

Also sadly no, my friendly local gaming store is a model train shop with a cabinet containing TCG booster packs. I couldn't go to one if I wanted to. Plus I play DnD on Fridays, I don't have to be particularly sound of mind to do that. I would for MTG.

I have to settle for Duels of the Planeswalkers on my XBOX instead. If you have it PM me your XBLid and I'll add ya. (that's open to anyone btw, as long as I know vaguely who you are...)

I don't think I have it, but I'll buy it when I get home (at work right now) but yeah the playset of everything is I wanna say about 650$ or so. I can't remember right now. I actually bought a pack of Avacyn Restored today and pulled a foil Entreat of the Angels and a Bonfire of the Damned...two best cards in AR and one foil for 4$....Fuck yeah.

4 Ponder
2 Faithless Looting
4 Think Twice
2 Noxious Revival

MIRACLES [18]
4 Thunderous Wrath
3 Bonfire of the Damned
4 Terminus
3 Temporal Mastery
4 Entreat The Angels

CREATURES [4]
4 Delver of Secrets

LANDS [26]
2 Desolate Lighthouse
4 Seachrome Coast
3 Sulfur Falls
3 Clifftop Retreat
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Island
3 Mountain
3 Plains

Deck that I made last night for FNM and ended up going 8-0-0 with it. I didn't even lose a match so all together I won 16 games with it.

The sideboard is pretty good

3-Day of Judgment
1-Giddeon Jura
1-Karn Liberated
2-Geist of Saint traft
3-Ratchet Bombs
2-Cancel
3-Pillare of Flame (Great against Zombies/Delver/Strangleroot Geist/Birds of Paradise and other ramp creatures).

If you have any questions about the way it runs, post in here and I'll share my secrets.

How much did it cost you to put that together? It looks pretty expensive. I unfortunately haven't got the income to afford all that much.

I'm sure it is. It looks like a neat variant on the Delver - I'm surprised you didn't play Snapcaster Mage. Was that just an issue of cost, or did you prefer to focus on Miracles instead?

I was actually torn between Solumn Simmacrulem(?) the guy that fetches a land when he comes into play and when he dies I draw a card and Delver. I think Devler is good for early beats, and he will almost always flip due to the fact that I play 30 something instants/socceries. But Delver at least one Delver came out of main deck for something in the side.

Ah Delver. I used to have a pretty good deck centered around Delver and cards that let me see what you have like Gitaxian Probe or such. That was I knew what to counter in your hand while playing out all of my Illusions tied together by Lord of the Unreal. That way all of my illusion creatures are given +1/+1 and hexproof. It was a pretty fast deck but unfornuately it was stolen from me along with my green Aura Gnarlid deck.

Well M13 pre release for me has ended. I played in 4 sealed events yesterday and won all of them :D (I'm a beast at sealed).

For those of you who don't know what sealed is, I'll explain it.

Very simple. You are given 6 booster packs. You crack them open and build a minimum 40 card deck. Lands are provided.

I had a lot of great pulls yesterday.

2 liliana of the dark realms
1 Ajani, caller of the pride (foil fuck yes)
3 Talrand, Sky Summoner
1 Serra Avatar
1000000 Rancor (It's an uncommon but it fucking rocks. I had 6 in one deck. Pulled one from each pack. It was unreal.)

That's just the stuff I can remember. But overall I got my moneys worth of cards. I can't wait to play some stuff on FNM.

On another note, I would not suggest buying any m13 boxes/boosters. It is a big set (249 cards) and it would be cheaper for you to buy cards online. Ideal808.com is a cheap site to buy cards.

I recently put together a Legacy deck based on a decklist I saw in an MTGSalvation article. The deck is built around big ass creature auras like Eldrazi Conscription and Mythic Proportions, and easy ways to sneak them into play (Arcanum Wings and Academy Researchers). Going to try and remember the list right now...

Spells

4 Ponder - yay cantrip
4 Brainstorm - no seriously, a combo deck in Legacy needs all the cantrip it can get
2 Preordain - see above
3 Daze - it's not Force of Will...sometimes it's better
3 Spell Pierce - it's not Force of Will...sometimes it's like FoW's uglier little sister
2 Vapor Snag - bounce is like removal and protection in this deck
2 Chain of Vapor - bounce of a different flavor
18 Spells

Creatures
4 Invisible Stalker - my primary win condition, once he's got pants you're fucked
4 Academy Researchers - harder to protect, harder to get in the red, but can't say no to how easy he makes things
1 Iridescent Drake - oh, killing my auras isn't going to bother me much at all
9 Creatures

Auras
4 Eldrazi Conscription - BEEEEEEF
4 Mythic Proportion - beeeeeef
4 Arcanum Wings - BEEEEF ENABLER (and evasion, too!)
12 Auras

Land
4 Misty Rainforest...or Scalding Tarns...fuck, let's go with 4 blue fetches
15 Island
19 Land

Playing basic lands in Legacy is soooo lulzy, what with all the Wasteland love out there. I love watching them cry bitter hate tears when they see me fetch into a basic. And really, I love this mana base. Can't fucking touch it, baby. Flood/Screw isn't much an issue when you're packing SO MUCH CANTRIP!

The basic strategy is a riff on the popular Show-and-Tell/Dream Halls decks out there; get something fat for next to nothing. Academy Researchers are the easiest for this: just cast them and have a great aura in hand. If you want a more sure path, you go to the Stalker: drop him and then give him Wings. Now you can Aura Swap at instant speed to upgrade the lowly Stalker to BEAST MODE STATUS. Where the Researchers give you a sweet discount, Stalker/Wings let's you put the Aura on layaway (2 mana for Stalker, 2 for Wings, 3 for Aura Swap = more or less what the Auras cost anyway).

In the interests of budget, I picked this deck because it doesn't have the refined power or the consistency of those decks, but it can match the raw potential for power (and costs over three times less). The biggest issue, besides shaping up a useful hand, is that you are still relying on combat for the win. Stalker is hard to kill, but it's not impossible. Researchers are too squishy to live too long (thankfully, you only ever need to enter combat once or twice after you've gone off). I experimented with using Slippery Bogle as a redundant Stalker, but they clearly aren't as good. Lotus Petal probably fits in here too, just to speed things up.

The sideboard is where I'm making most of my changes these days. I'm still new-ish to Legacy, so I'm learning how to side against the meta. I've set against Re-Animator/Dredge (Graffdigger's Cage and Ravenous Traps) and counter-heavy control decks (extra Daze/Spell Pierce, plus some Dispels). Echoing Truth comes in handy all the time. I've also been flirting with using a transformer sideboard to bring a different combo. It goes like this:

Game 2, I'd side in a package of Altar of Dementia and Fool's Demise. I'd probably take out the Stalkers, the Drake, and the Auras minus Wings. The idea is that a resolved Academy Researchers with an Altar of Dementia in play and a Fool's Demise in hand is "GG" unless they are packing something like Emrakul or Gaea's Blessing. Alternatively, to get around those pesky mill-blockers, adding access to black mana let's be just cast one helluva Gravestorm'd Bitter Ordeal, just removing every damn card.

Meh. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back