Dwight Howard To Stay With Magic

PlayTheGame

The Cerebral Assassin
So after a very long period of Dwight changing his mind from wanting to stay in Orlando to wanting to go to a different team (and there were many), he's now decided hours before the trade deadline that he wants to stay put... for now. In order to appease the Magic, he's going to sign away his opt-out ability, meaning he'll be with the Magic for at least all of next season. So, it finally seems this whirlwind is over, at least for a year. What's your take on this whole situation and Dwight's decision to stay with the Magic?

My take is that he's obviously unhappy with the Magic. I mean, sure, he did decide to stay. But how can anyone feel confident that he's confident in his decision? If anything, it seems as though he really wanted out, but when push came to shove, he sort of just... backed down and remained content with his situation... but not necessarily happy. Now, the Magic have a year to try to put some more talent around him. But if they weren't successful in doing so now and in the past, then why should I believe that they'll be able to do it now? They're not exactly great at landing talent. I think this whole situation just delays the inevitable- I think Howard will play his ass off for a season and a half, the Magic won't win a Championship during that time, Howard will begin to yearn for greener pastures again, and he'll walk away via free agency after next season to another team... leaving the Magic with nothing. Or, if this doesn't happen, then the Magic will desparately try to sign him to a long-term deal before next year's trade deadline, and he won't want to do it (just as he didn't want to do it now, and I highly doubt much will change from now until then), so they'll shop him again before next year's trade deadline, and maybe land a deal. Either way, my prediction is that the Magic won't acquire much talent, they won't have overwhelming success, Howard will grow lukewarm with the franchise again, and he'll eventually find an exit in some form or fashion. Quite frankly, I think it's foolish that the Magic didn't trade him this season and begin to rebuild as quickly as possible, because Howard obviously isn't going to be a part of the franchise long-term, and I don't see them winning in the short-term. They should have moved on when they had the chance. Don't get me wrong, Howard's a great player, but you've got to be blind if you can't see what Howard really wants and what he will eventually do.

What do you think?

I'm a Magic fan, and because of that I would like to hope that you're wrong. Common sense says something else, however, and you probably will end up being proven correct.

The way I feel about Howard has been a roller coaster since before he was drafted. I was initially against the Magic drafting him. I wanted them to draft Emeka Okafor instead, for two reasons. One, UConn is my favorite college basketball team (and they have been since the 90's and the days of Ray Allen, so it's not a bandwagon thing), and since Okafor was the main man on their second national championship team, I wanted him to go from one of may favorite teams to another. Two, I wasn't sold on how good Howard was going to be. Coming straight from high school was always a gamble, it was always hard to determine exactly how one of those players was going to handle the NBA due to the difference in competition level. Sure, there are the Kobes and LeBrons and Kevin Garnetts. There were also a lot of Kwame Browns, Sebastian Telfairs, Eddy Currys, and Darius Mileses. So, I was against them drafting him at first. Needless to say, judging from Okafor's and Howard's career paths since then, I was wrong. :)

Obviously, I'd grown quite fond of Howard, since he's developed into a man-beast in the years since. Although his offensive post moves aren't quite the most highly developed, with all his other skills considered, I think it's safe to say that he's probably the best center in the game today. So I was all about Howard.

Then this whole drama with him wanting to be traded started to come up. And it was just becoming too reminiscent of the whole Shaq situation. Dominant big man comes in, almost gets the team a championship but can't quite get over the top, then leaves and the team goes down the drain. So I'm again a bit down on Howard. I understand wanting to win, and wanting management to put quality players around you when you're a star so you can have a legit shot. You have to wonder however, if that's all it is with Howard, or if he's gotten those stars in his eyes like Shaq did when he split for L.A.

If that is the case, I think it's almost inevitable that he will be out of Orlando sooner or later.

If it is as simple as him wanting a good team and wanting to win, perhaps there is a chance to save the situation.

It's not like they don't have a "good" team. They're not bad, they have some talent there. They just can't quite hang with the elite teams in the East like Miami and Chicago. They've made a lot of poor personnel decisions lately, probably trying to appease Howard. Turkoglu's recent run with the team, nowhere near as good as the one before. Gilbert Arenas, ugh. Vince Carter, although several years ago, big mistake. Never been a fan of his, all the way back to North Carolina. Sure he's awesome if you need a breakaway dunk when you're up or down 10+ points. Need a shot to go down in the clutch in a close game? Look elsewhere. So there's no doubt some better decisions need to be made.

As I said, I'm of two minds on this. The realist in me says pretty much exactly what you predicted will haappen. Howard will either leave in free agency with nothing to the Magic in return, or they'll put together some crappy trade next year that probably won't help either.

My hopeful/delusional side says that somehow, they'll find a way to get a good player or two to give Howard help and make a run at winning the East. Even if they don't win it all, maybe they can get close enough to convince Howard to stay long term and try to win a title in Orlando.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and hoping my hopeful/delusional side comes out on top this time.

I think he just comes off as too nice of a guy to leave like an asshole the way James did. He's at least given them warning, if this continues, he's likely gone next year. Plus, if he really wants to go to a contender, why would he choose NJ? They're terrible. Even with Deron Williams and Lopez, they're gonna need more than Howard to make that work. So maybe waiting another year is his way of looking loyal and also looking for greener pastures. Either way, I've always been a fan of Howard and hope he ends up winning one eventually. He's always come off as a fun kind of guy. Not an asshole.

Yes, he hasn't helped his PR these past couple years, saying he's wanting to leave, but then again, at least he wasn't holding his team hostage like a certain someone not saying a damn word about it and just abandoning them. But it Orlando wants to keep him around they're definitely going to have to get some better role players around him. Not half ass ones like Cleveland got. Otherwise I feel he's gone next year.

My take is that he's obviously unhappy with the Magic.

Maybe it's not that he's unhappy, but rather, in the egocentric world of the NBA, he sees that all the major stars are changing teams and that has become the "in" thing for the best players to do. Maybe he says: "Hey, LeBron left, Bosh left, A'mare left, Carmelo left, etc etc etc.....so I'm gonna leave too."

It could be as simple as that. I don't know what he's going to find on another team that he doesn't have in Orlando. It seems to me they have some nice complementary players with him and they've competed well with the strong teams in the NBA, including their division rival Miami.

It isn't money; he's going to get his maximum contract wherever he goes.

I loved the rumor going through the media the other day that the Magic were going to give Howard the right to decide the fate of the coach and general manager at the end of this year if he agreed to stay. Talk about the inmates running the asylum! Although the rumor was disabused, maybe it's actually still in effect; otherwise why has Howard suddenly agreed to stay? They'll just keep it quiet, but at the end of the season, perhaps Dwight decides to make changes at both those positions.:lmao: Yes, if it happens, all parties will deny there was a connection, but.......

I am glad the trade deadline has passed since I am tired of hearing about it so at least there will be a break until the offseason. Part of me hopes that either Howard signs a big extension this offseason or he is traded this offseason since if neither of these things happen we will hear about it everyday until the next trade deadline.

The problem though from Orlando's perspective is I don't see what flexibility or assets they really have to bring in guys to make Dwight happy and give them a chance to win the Finals. I mean, outside of Dwight, who else on that roster are people really going to trade for?

I feel sorry for Magic fans. He will leave eventually, it's just a matter of when and how. I mean if the Magic can make a few good trades then they might have a chance but no-one really has good trade value for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back