• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lucha Underground Season Two Discussion

Pretty standard fare, indeed.

Daga impressed against Texano, coming up short for the Gift of the Gods medallion. I got deja vu from last season when Jack Evans lost a hard fought debut versus Aerostar. Jack certainly weathered that storm, so there's no reason Daga can't do the same.

On the note of Jack Evans, I'm hoping some combination of his rivalry involving Drago, Aerostar and PJ is used in this tournament, with their rivals costing them the match against the Disciples of Death. I'm not a DoD fan, but if the finals are a triple threat match, then the field is lacking heels.

I love Cage. Absolute star of that main event. I popped when he caught Azteca while he was already carrying Puma. Terrific!

I have high expectations for Matanza vs Mil Muertes next week. Full on hoss fight!

Just finished up the most recent episode. It was pretty solid.

The Aerostar/Drago match felt weird, like Aerostar had the obvious botch, but the entire match the pacing felt off to me. Like one guy wanted to zig while the other guy zagged the entire match.

The trios match was pretty standard fare for the trios matches. Evans getting to ham it up a little was interesting. It was really the first time I've been entertained by Evans in a while. It does at least finally look like the DoD are done for. Couldn't be happier myself. I can't keep track of who is who in the group, but hopefully Siniestro De La Muerte becomes something more than faceless jobber after ripping dudes hearts out.

Mil/Matanza was solid enough. The finish was good to protect both guys, and we set up what should be a good confrontation between Catrina and Dario again.

And next week, we get Cage in a cage! Mundo and Cage has slowly grown on me, and a cage match should finally end their feud. Logic says Cage will finally win out with the stipulation in place, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mundo pulls another trick out of his bag to steal one.

2016-04-11-poaching-talent.jpg

The Aerostar/Drago match felt weird, like Aerostar had the obvious botch, but the entire match the pacing felt off to me. Like one guy wanted to zig while the other guy zagged the entire match.

The trios match was pretty standard fare for the trios matches. Evans getting to ham it up a little was interesting. It was really the first time I've been entertained by Evans in a while. It does at least finally look like the DoD are done for. Couldn't be happier myself. I can't keep track of who is who in the group, but hopefully Siniestro De La Muerte becomes something more than faceless jobber after ripping dudes hearts out.

Agreed about Aerostar/Drago. I was really looking forward to this one (considering the half minute of hype, really). Not their best outing. Though Aerostar's springboard basement dropkick was awesome.

I think the Trios match would have benefited subbing out Fenix for Drago. Sure, the dysfunctional team thing has been done to death, but PJ Black told an interesting story. It was as if he was heel, but enchanted by Fenix's style. Considering the past few weeks of history, I think Drago would have made that story just a little more nuanced. The Evans/Drago/Black story would have been well placed here.

I can't keep track of the DoD either. I just call them all Jimmy Uso.

Mil/Matanza was solid enough. The finish was good to protect both guys, and we set up what should be a good confrontation between Catrina and Dario again.

I got my hoss fight, so I'm pleased. Although, while I've been forgiving about commentary this season, I was particularly annoyed during this one. Too many analogies. I get it. It's epic. It's biblical. It's gargantuan. Titanic. Shut up, Striker.

And next week, we get Cage in a cage! Mundo and Cage has slowly grown on me, and a cage match should finally end their feud. Logic says Cage will finally win out with the stipulation in place, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mundo pulls another trick out of his bag to steal one.

More than anything I want Cage to move on to a new program. Don't get me wrong, Johnny Mundo is playing this role to a damn tee, but I want to see what a babyface Cage looks like juxtaposed against someone else like Matanza or Jack Evans.

Also, Trios Fatal Four Way! This should be a spot fest and a half, and I can't wait! Considering that the heels of the match are scattered between two other teams, and no full heel team at all, I'm interested to see how that plays out.

Also, Alberto El Patron missing? I hate to nitpick, but you literally cold have posted a photo of Big Ryck. Bastards in props need a talkin' to.

Yeah again another solid episode. The cop storyline really needs to get the move along. It seems so interesting but we are getting fuck all like every two weeks. However it does bug me that it doesnt make sense when Cortez witnessed Matanza murder Bael at the orders of Dario. That i'm pretty sure should be enough to arrest him.

Cant wait to see where the Dario/Matanza relationship is going. They're starting to build a purpose to why Dario is having his brother destroy all his fighters.

If i was running LU i'd recast the remaining DoD now that he has the power of three freaking hearts, he should be bulked the fuck up. I didnt even watch the match just fiddled through my phone and turned back towards the end to see the right result

See i'm leaning the other way. Mundo backed into a corner and shows what he can do. Kind of like Edge when he beat Cena in that match where if he got DQ'd he would lose the belt.

Okay, let's get this out of the way; Cage catching the Kendo Stick, like a fucking boss after giving Mundo a spinebuster, was one of the coolest fucking things I've ever seen in a wrestling ring.

With the advent of post production of a pretaped show, I think I would have flipped the order of tonight's two contests. The opening cage match was so much stronger than the Trios Finals. I'm disappointed in saying so, but Mundo vs Cage in a Cage was a much stronger story. I usually favor a championship bout being higher on the card, but the cage match did have championship stakes, and closed a season long feud.

In fact, fuck it, Cage catching the Kendo Stick should have been the main event. Show should have just ended right there. Someone make me a gif where the sunglasses drop on his head.

Dario Cueto prologues the main event by announcing Angelico is hurt, and SoH & Invelisse will be defending the Trios Championship by themselves. I assume Angelico was legit hurt, here? If so, I applaud how they handled the audible. You can't fault them for not rushing production of a new segment, at least not without knowing their production schedule. That being said, I was disappointed by his absence. I love that team as a Trio, and think they compliment each other well.

The main event itself, I was disappointed on the whole. The first few minutes were the wrestling equivalent of synchronized swimming, which was followed by a series of botches up until the final two. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and I think they should have stuck to 3 v 3 v 3. The two things I really enjoyed were Ivelisse, who genuinely gave the best performance of that match, and the exchange between Fenix and Azteca when they were the final two teams.

Definitely would have swapped the match order, myself. Here's a comic.

2016-04-22-dario-matanza-cueto.jpg

I was late catching this week's episode, but I agree that switching the match order would have been better. Cage vs. Mundo was a real rivalry and a gimmick match like a cage match should have been the main event.

The match itself was pretty good. From Taya and Johnny throwing everything they could at Cage, to Cage being a badass, to handcuffs and Taya(meow) it was a very solid affair. A little disappointed Mundo lost, as he is one of my favorites since day one, but I can't hate the match because of the result. They made Cage look like a real threat going forward.

The main event felt too long to me. I get you had four teams and eleven guys to deal with, but it just seemed too much. I like they they teased Fenix potentially turning with some dirty moves here and there, and I like that they treat Rey as this special attraction by protecting him the entire match, but outside of those things and the comment by Striker about poking a guy in the balls, the match was mostly a clusterfuck of synchronized flips that I didn't care for. I know that sounds hypocritical coming from an LU fan, but in the words of Vamprio "it is what it is brother." I also would have had Ivelesse and Havoc last longer. I had a feeling with Angelico being hurt that we would finally get new non DoD champions, but once Ivelesse was pinned, you knew the dream team was walking out champions. Sucked the emotion right out.

Just wow. I fucking loved this week. Famous B just oozes charisma and is entertaining as hell to watch. Still not sold on sinestro de la muerte when he's still skinny as shit and that match was the weak point. I wonder what Dario had stored up in the roof and I've learnt with dario and LU that there's no point trying to figure it out because after tonights main event dario could pull a gun out and shoot mil and i probably wouldnt bat an eye.

And that main event. Unbelievable. I've made it pretty clear I'm not a huge on Sexy star but that match was absolute bonkers. They finally made Sexy Star what she's been talked up by Striker to be. And that fucking spot where Sexy cunt punted mariposa with the two chairs was incredible. I dont think Marty and Mack needed to rock up again at the end though

No Mas was a thing of beauty and god DAMN did they make Sexy Star look like a million bucks. Next weeks main event could be even better with Matanza vs. Mil in Grave Consequences but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Sinestro is whatever right now but he just got out on his own and I could see him being a good second tier guy in Catrina's stable, he ain't Mil but he could be a good obstacle to get to Mil in future storylines (assuming they don't kill him off next week, I can't imagine Matanza loses). Famous B is good entertainment but I hope they don't do too many midget matches where they face regular sized competitors, the women can pull it off but I don't think it works when the opponent is smaller than my daughters teddy bear. If they do midget matches then just do midget vs. midget and be done with it so it doesn't get ridiculous.

Cage killing Chavo will be fun to watch, Chavo has been kind of shitty in LU anyways so I'd love to see him get killed off or something along those lines.

Overall it was a good week like always but I'm really pumped for next show. I love monsters in wrestling so this is a real treat for me.

Mil wont be killed off, just like when fenix beat him, he'll come back stronger than before. Two characters that Lucha Underground has that cant be killed off are Mil and Fenix, because they've been established as such.

"No Mas" was good, but not great. Sexy Star does little for me. Would far rather have Ivelisse getting that kind of push.

Some nice foreshadowing of how I think Graver Consequences will end with Catrina and King Cuerno.

I might need to review, but I think that was the best episode of the season, thus far. Top to bottom, a well thought out card, underscored by the common theme of GotG Medallions.

Still not sold on sinestro de la muerte when he's still skinny as shit and that match was the weak point.

I'm about to contradict myself, because I forgot about this match entirely, which is particularly unfortunate considering my Cuerno-love. I'm open minded for Sinestro, but beating King Cuerno should have been a bigger deal. I suppose Lucha Underground might not have the stock in King Cuerno that I wish they did.

And that main event. Unbelievable. I've made it pretty clear I'm not a huge on Sexy star but that match was absolute bonkers. They finally made Sexy Star what she's been talked up by Striker to be. And that fucking spot where Sexy cunt punted mariposa with the two chairs was incredible. I dont think Marty and Mack needed to rock up again at the end though

I loved the match itself, but the angle needed refining. I was hoping I would see Sexy Star grow into this aggressor character on her own (I grew up watching Buffy. Strong female characters all the way!). While her scene with Dario Cueto was AWESOME(mostly for Dario), I still think she needed to find that inner strength herself, though admittedly, that's difficult to communicate in the visual medium of television.

I thought Marty could have had that second run in, but Sexy could have punted his nethers herself. But everything else was amazing in ring storytelling. "FUCK YOU!", as simple as it was, might have been one of the most perfect, honest moments the Temple has seen.

Cage killing Chavo will be fun to watch, Chavo has been kind of shitty in LU anyways so I'd love to see him get killed off or something along those lines.

This is exactly how you book Chavo! Smarks, casuals, everyone wants to see this guy beaten up. Now, he's in a full-on ass kicker's path. It's going to be highly amusing when Cage eats him. And once again, Dario makes the show's highlight reel for his segment of being dismissive with Chavo.

Барбоса;5490381 said:
Some nice foreshadowing of how I think Graver Consequences will end with Catrina and King Cuerno.

I miss your meaning here. I know there are four caskets, but was a fatal four way implied? Did I miss something?

I miss your meaning here. I know there are four caskets, but was a fatal four way implied? Did I miss something?

With Catrina telling Cuerno she and Mil didn't need him to win Gift of the Gods, Cuerno proclaiming the hunt is on, him then being crushed by Sinestro and given the Lick of Death and the rock to the face by Catrina, I see King Cuerno costing or at least helping to cost Mil Muertes the title in Graver Consequences.

That main event was special stuff. They finally made Sexy into the star, no pun intended, that Striker talked her up to be. The whole bit on the catwalk could have been taken out as it went nowhere, but other than that the match was grade A stuff.

I do wonder how the Gift of the Gods will play out with both Mack and Sexy in. The line up is shaping up nicely, lets just hope that Cage is able to murderfy Chavo on the way to Ultima Lucha.

I do wonder how the Gift of the Gods will play out with both Mack and Sexy in. The line up is shaping up nicely, lets just hope that Cage is able to murderfy Chavo on the way to Ultima Lucha.

I'm actually wondering if they'll wait until Ultima Lucha for the GotG match. It's not exactly a spectacle, so I don't think it necessarily needs to happen at Ultima Lucha. I think the payoff of destroying Chavo could be what we see at Ultima Lucha. Plus, a Gift of the Gods Champ might have a relevant claim to the title match at UL.

I love watching all these chess pieces move and seeing several logical conclusions be entertained.

I think they should just have the gift of the gods match as the main event on a normal episode and then if whoever wins it hasnt already had the title match then it should be defended at Ultima Lucha. I also wouldnt mind if we started to see matches for multiple medallions. It would be such a dario cueto thing to do if he made mack and sexy face off with the winner getting both off the medallions. Better yet, chavo going around and just stealing everyone's medallions would be hilarious. Had Chavo not stolen Cage's i would of imagined he would have just continued his brock lesnar-esque booking and destroyed everyone on his way to collecting all the medallions in singles action

Every time Dragon Azteca makes his entrance, I can't help but think....

DRAGON DRAGON!
45-Chikara-Dragon-Dragon-wrestlings-greatest-dragon.jpg

I felt like this was the filler episode that shouldn't have been filler. Joey Ryan gets a medallion in two minutes while the Crew bickers to presumably no lasting result. The Trios Match suffered in storytelling through Angelico's absence (which admittedly, couldn't be prevented much). Graver Consequences was really disappointing. Like, really. Muertes/Matanza I was the better match, and the original Grave Consequences was a better match.

I am excited for a Mil Muertes vs King Cuerno program, so I am glad for that. Otherwise, a disappointing episode, I'm afraid. Can't all be gems.

I wouldnt say filler but rather a set-up episode. Somethings up with Cuerno & Mil, Ivelise & Havoc now have something to do, all the medallions are in play and the law enforcement storyline has been furthered. I do agree that the actual matches were weird, grave consequences a big let down and a rushed finish that didnt really fit in with the rest of the match. The brilliance of Lucha Underground is that there are so many different ways each storyline goes. The product is improved so much because there's a backstory to everything that happens

I was sort of right about my King Cuerno prediction, although he did not cost Mil the match like he really should have, particularly given the flat ending they went with.

Graver Consequences fell into the "HHH tries to have an epic match but fails" category. They should have just had another version of their first match, which was far more energetic and intriguing, and then added in the interference of Dario and Catrina and the casket spots rather than make the match all about the casket spots.

For really the first time in LU, I thought the commentary was really bad; bad enough that I could not ignore it. At a couple of the big spots, Striker wasn't even paying attention so busy was he slabbering about nothing or spouting his incredibly hit and miss silly comments. I mean he nearly completely missed and brutally undersold Catrina vanishing from the coffin.

I think Matanza should some sort of diabolical "submission" move. Like a smothering move or even an Iron Claw to the chest, sold like he is crushing the life out of his opponent, or even threatening to rip his heart out.

I feel nothing for Dragon Azteca. I think he has been undermined by debuting in Aztec Warfare, getting massacred by Matanza and then basically being the sidekick of Rey, a position he is in danger of being demoted from by the addition of Puma.

An excellent job done in building up the Boss in just a couple of segments.

As Qui Gon Jinn said in his finest Ballymena brogue, "there's always a bigger fish..."

Wasn't a huge fan of Graver Consequences but overall I didn't think it was bad, I was just hoping for a little more carnage and insanity but I guess you can't win them all. I love Mil punching through the casket though.

I love that walking STD Joey Ryan even though I really shouldn't, the guy just cracks me up constantly rubbing lotion on himself, acting like he's a chick magnet when in actuality he's one of the grossest people I've ever seen.

I'm really looking forward to whoever this boss guy is and who he has that can actually take Matanza. That's always been the best part of the show, even if the matches aren't what you were expecting they do a solid job of making the fans want to see more anyways.

Striker hasn't been nearly as annoying in LU but last night he was trying WAY too hard and it came off very flat and, well..... annoying.

Cuerno vs. Mil? Count me in!

I think Pentagon should be back soon and I got a feeling he'll be fighting Matanza again. I could even see it being the main event of Ultima Lucha 2 even if I am a little more interested in this mysterious Boss.

Overall I still love this show and they still do a great job building things up. Sometimes the pacing is archaic but I find the flaws are usually minor and always forgivable.

Pretty decent episode tonight. I enjoyed my 44 minutes.

I wasn't entirely enthused by the opening segment, and I hate to say it, but Dario was the drain on my entertainment. He was just trying too hard, by my estimations. He was less Bucho from Desperado, and more jubilant and overly excited. It didn't work for me. I liked how Chavo greased his way into the main event, in a sense that I'm very excited to watch Cage murder him. I know Chavo isn't the most popular guy in this thread, but he's getting great heat. He's certainly not his uncle, but very few are as good as Eddie ever was. Chavo, nonetheless, is doing his work in spades. I'm not crazy about how Cage got his hands on Chavo at the top of the show, but more on that in a minute.

Daga wins a Fatal 4 Way. A few things are accomplished here, but I'm not sure if I'm interested in either of them. First, Kobra Moon scores the deciding move on Mascarita Sagrada, but offers the victory to Daga. Vamp and Matt play a "why's she doing this" angle, but it's obvious to everyone. She wants the D. D for Daga. Shame I don't care for either of them, though.

Back to Mascarita, who takes his second victory under the tutelage of Famous B. Traditionally, we would see Mascarita grow upset with Famous B's heelesque interference and ultimately turn against him. But this isn't traditional. Famous B hasn't done anything wrong, and Mascarita is losing all by himself. Alternatively, he could falsely blame Famous B for his losing streak, and be the one to turn heel, but proportionally speaking, that's a strange decision. Lastly, Mascarita and Famous B grow together, and turn this losing streak around and into a success story. I'm unsure which direction this story wants to go. Perhaps it's less transparent than I'm seeing. But right now, it's just kinda stagnant. Needs development, ASAP.

I should internalize this part, but I feel the need to share it, please don't begrudge me; when Argenis tossed Mascarita, I had a horrible flashback of Perro. I know this was pretaped, and wouldn't have aired if the worst had happened, but I got quesy for a few seconds when his throat bounced on the bottom rope.

Marty. Marty The Moth. Marty The Moth Martinez. Sir, I adore you. I'm beginning to think that this is the best original character of Lucha Underground. I've said this before, but his knack for character work is undeniable! He's like LU's Bray Wyatt, but unlike said counterpart, it's okay that he loses! Somehow, he just keeps plugging away and making it work. Props to the creative department for standing behind him and helping make him credible.

Gift of the Gods was alright. I appreciate that this wasn't spent at Ultima Lucha, making the title itself a potential wildcard at said event. The match itself was alright, but the fallout is the talking point. I was ready to groan, thinking Cage and Chavo pulled a fast one on the Temple. However, Cage's destruction of everyone else was simply pragmatic way of having his cake and eating it too. Probably not the "OH SHIT" moment that the creative team was after, but I appreciated the originality. It might have helped had Cage not already gotten the better of Chavo at the top of the program. Part of me wonders if this was Cage's tweener turn? If such things exist in Lucha Underground, that is.

As for Pentagon Jr and Vampiro, well, I stumbled upon a still image spoiler. It looks as if Pentagon will lash out at his Master. What do you guys think?

christopher-lloyd-as-uncle-fester-in-the.jpg

I felt like this episode was a slow down, aside from the main event. The four way between the leftover guys and gal with no stories was pretty meh. The end set up something with potential between Kobra Moon and Daga, but Kobra Moon hasn't really impressed me much. Plus she brings out the worst in Striker with all the snake references.

Still love me some Famous B though. The line from Strike about Brenda and watching some films in high school gave me a chuckle. Mascarita should pick up a big win soon enough, but I think the losing streak with Famous B at his side will play a little longer.

I was more impressed with Marty than I was with Killshot in their match, though Killshot is slowly growing on me. Now that he has a story, even if it is something that makes little sense with Marty, he has some potential in my eyes. Marty has grown a lot in the ring, to me at least. He plays his character so well so its nice to see him come full circle as a performer.

The main event was decent enough. I was upset that Chavo won initially, but knowing he has to defend against Cage makes it okay because Cage should win. I'll be upset if he doesn't. I could definitely see Cage turn into a destructive force who just does what he wants, and doesn't care about fan reaction. The fans chanting "Chicken Shit" at Chavo throughout the show was good. They really overdo it on the "Holy Shit" chants, but the LU faithful can entertain me as much as the in ring action when they are on like that,

The ending with Vamp and Pentagon was powerful for a short segment. I really look forward to what is next for Pentagon. I wouldn't be surprised to see him challenge Matanza again. I don't think he will win if he does though, leading Pentagon turning on Vamp....or Vamp abandoning Ian completely and totally ramping up the insanity factor between the two.

Cage is worse the Roman Reigns with that stupid I'm a machine line. Its fucking infuriating. My detailed thoughts are pretty much the same as everyone else and I thought it was a meh of an episode, much like last week was. I'm sure it'll pick up again though.

Its amzing to see some of the people who have taken a backseat this season. Wtf happened to drago? They've bought in that many people they cant really fit them all in properly imo. Even Puma feels like he's been pushed out of the main event scene to protect him from Matanza

I stopped watching after Aztec Warfare, but I've been sick these past few days so I've been catching up and I just finished the May 4th episode.

Famous B is great. I thought the Mascarita Sagrada thing was entertaining, and it was short and relatively harmless. Brenda going "My baby!" when Cage put him on his shoulders got a chuckle out of me.

The No Más match was really good. The Moth/Mariposa and Mack/Sexy Star angle is way better than I was expecting, and the match was a lot of fun.

I watched the Graver Consequences match on Facebook but haven't yet watched the actual episode. The match was fun, I like Mil and Matanza just beating the fuck out of each other, but it wasn't as good as the one with Fenix. Still, it was pretty good.

Vampiro is starting to grow on me, I don't give a shit if the stuff he says is stupid, I think he's entertaining and I personally enjoy him more than Striker.

Cage is worse the Roman Reigns with that stupid I'm a machine line.

As much as I like Cage, yeah, I hear you. It's poor, it's repetitive, and too often, it's just tacked onto whatever he was saying to begin with, resulting in fumbling contexts. This week, I must indulge the simple pleasure in how he used it this week. "I'm not a monster..."

Mascarita (who I've now decided has the most epic theme in professional wrestling) chalks up another loss. Last week I anticipated a handful of scenarios his losing streak could go, but I overlooked the thought of Famous B turning on his loser client. Still not sure how much critical acclaim such a storyline could yield. I was working on a costume as this match went on so I don't have much to add.

King Cuerno's segment would have been improved 1000% if Mil Muertes was encased in carbonite.

I think Cage vs Chavo would have been more eagerly anticipated had Cage not gotten the upper hand on Chavo twice in the previous week. The two worked a pretty good match, and I think we can all appreciate the image of Chavo eating a Steiner Screwdriver.

I love the vignettes, but the pay off has to take place in the ring. Admittedly, that's hard to do with Castro/Ryan/Cisco's angle. I just don't see how this plays out without Matt Stryker playing dumbfounded for any future Crew matches.

I liked the addition of Mundo to Black and Evans. There was an instant chemistry, air guitars and all. The Trios Match was the best Trios match of the season, in my opinion. I got truly captivated by the match, especially everything from the ref being pulled out to the finish. Very well crafted. Although, while I may be splitting hairs, Matt made one of the worst calls of the season; "Perhaps they're isolating Puma because he's the only one who's held gold." I mean, I know what he meant, but fuck, c'mon man.

Glad to see Jack Evans. He was overdue on my screen. This still begs the question;

got.jpg

No, Azteca doesn't count.

Pretty good episode, i dont know what to make of the cop storyline. Its good to see it actually progress but I just cant see how it plays out in a logical manner.

Somebody has been watching too much of brock lesnar vs the undertaker. How many nut shots were there last night? Although it was glorious watching Joey Ryan no selling it.

The biggest strength of the episode (and the gift of the gods match last week) was how it protected everyone. Azteca, Rey & Puma are still good and Cage still gets to keep looking unbeatable without having to destroy everyone in the Gift of the Gods match. Still hope matanza squashes him and snaps him in 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back