Lucha Underground

I saw the third episode today. I found that hallway fight so damn corny. It's like they just spliced some action movie scene into the middle of the show. Morrison must be having a blast since he said he wanted to get into small time action movies. Now he working with Robert Rodriguez.

Then came the main event. What in the fuck?! They did not wrestle like they would normally on AAA. At all. Fenix is fast, but he knows when to slow down and sell. Drago.... Meh, he's looks more than anything. But Pentagon, damn. He's NEVER been that much of a high flyer. He was always the "beat you down" kinda heel. It was so damn weird. It's like the LU team told them to forget how they work in AAA and just be as crazy as possible. Such a weird match.

Oh and Konnan telling Chavo that AAA is pissed because of what he did to Demon and Mascarita is great stuff. But they've totally ignored that he hit SEXY STAR with a chair to the face. And that Dario's office leads to the ring, but is a totally separate place when backstage.

Watched the first episode last night and WOW! This morning i woke up and watched the second episode. Such a different concept than most wrestling shows. This show did not follow a mold, it went about making itself different. That Prince Puma guy is outstanding. Can captivate an audience like no other. Head over heels for Lucha Underground Right Now!

I saw the third episode today. I found that hallway fight so damn corny. It's like they just spliced some action movie scene into the middle of the show. Morrison must be having a blast since he said he wanted to get into small time action movies. Now he working with Robert Rodriguez.

Hallway scene was awesome. How was it corny compared to, for instance, the way WWE does backstage 'attack' scenes? They are the dumbest things ever. They are usually done during an interview and they get jumped, but seriously? As if they can't see someone running at them in a WIDE OPEN SPACE! Did you see Dolph get flopped onto the couch after being attacked by Mark Henry this week? Now THAT was corny. But if you have a different definition of corny that's fine.

Then came the main event. What in the fuck?! They did not wrestle like they would normally on AAA. At all. Fenix is fast, but he knows when to slow down and sell. Drago.... Meh, he's looks more than anything. But Pentagon, damn. He's NEVER been that much of a high flyer. He was always the "beat you down" kinda heel. It was so damn weird. It's like the LU team told them to forget how they work in AAA and just be as crazy as possible. Such a weird match.

I'll admit, the main event was pretty wild but it was pretty solid action. Lots of super kicks and big moves that would warrant down times and the flying stuff over the ropes was great. I, personally had no previous knowledge of Pentagon so the fact he showed he can be a high flyer is cool with me and I'm sure most of the audience because they found it entertaining. There were a lot of cool moves pulled in the match and again ... it was entertaining!

The spot where Fenix jumped off that roof onto the 2 other guys ... yeah, it was a bit cheesy because the guys walked over there but don't pretend for A SECOND that it doesn't happen every show in WWE, TNA or other indy shows when there is a bit diving spot from high up. That's just how it's done in pro wrestling. What would you have rather seen? Fenix try and jump 20 feet ahead to surprise the 2 guys with a dive just to fall short and freakin DIE by hitting the cement? Yeah, that's more realistic, but is it more entertaining? Not unless you are crazy.

Oh and Konnan telling Chavo that AAA is pissed because of what he did to Demon and Mascarita is great stuff. But they've totally ignored that he hit SEXY STAR with a chair to the face. And that Dario's office leads to the ring, but is a totally separate place when backstage.

Yeah, they didn't talk about Chavo hitting Sexy Star in that episode but the episodes are only 1 hour and I'm sure they'll get back to it, not big deal unless they forget to talk about it at all.

I believe that Dario's office is set up with 2 doors. One that goes right out into the stage with the ring and another that goes back further into the building where there IS a hallway like we saw in that segment.

Half way through this weeks outing; Phoenix (I'm not going to spell his name like a ******) is once again one of the worst performers I have ever had the misfortune to witness.

Episode 4 thoughts

I'm not wild about having a 12 minute women's match in a division that only has two women. I don't understand what Evilese is fighting for, and as such a don't give a shit about the match. In ring is was passable, but when it's only passable then I really need some kind of reason to care - and the ladies calling each other ugly isn't it.

Phoenix is an abomination of a wrestler who needs to die in a fire and fail to rise from the ashes. He can't sell worth a damn, and when the whole story of the match is supposed to be 'this kid keeps kicking out' it becomes frankly comical. His entire offence is flips that frequently require his opponent to stand still in an illogical position for noticeable seconds at a time. I lost count of the number of times 'why is Pentagon standing like that' passed though my head. Speaking of Pentagon... he might be able to work, the jury is still out on that one. What he has not been able to two in two fairly lengthy matches is establish any kind of in ring style or presence. He's just a guy in a mask, and nothing more.

On the other hand, I was very pleasantly surprised by Dragon. I really wanted to like him from the beginning because he has a awesome look and presence, and I felt his match was really strong. It was short, but the psychology was great, and I felt Dragon did a killer job of playing a scary, violent fucker, whilst simultaneously portraying the clear underdog. I also love that he won, since booking 101 said that he wouldn't, and I love the feeling of not knowing who is going to win going into a match.

Main event was solid if unremarkable. You get batter in ring logic from the former E guys, and Johnny Mundo has limitless star quality. Of course he had limitless star quality in the WWE and couldn't really get over, and it'll be interesting to see what happens once he's expected to speak for longer than a sentence, but this seems like a good fit for him right now.

Pretty mediocre episode. Very little actually happened worthy of attention, but I guess that's going to happen when you've only got an hour and you're trying to juggle a dozen characters. I'd rather have this, than all the attention going on the main programs, and everyone else being a faceless jobber.

Drago is actually a kid appeal character. He's got the glorious backstory of being a man eaten by a Dragon an ressurecting from its egg. Kid appeal.

Also, I need more of Ivelisse's boobs on TV.

Dragon is awesome kid appeal or not he's talented. I really like Pentagon Jr, guy his built but can move. As for Fenix kid is talented as well and him versus Puma could lead to some awesome matches.

My only gripe with LU is the Lucha's timing. It gets to the point they're walking to spots and waiting then hitting their move. This should improve in time I'm sure.

Problem is luchadores are tasked with getting pops from the crowd first, everything else later. Unless they're given a storyline grudge against the opponent or are very seasoned fan favorites, you're not gonna see them really focused on ring psychology or pacing. Just going out to get the crowd to have fun.

Well that makes sense, it's not anything to where I won't watch the show. I still enjoy it and wish it success.

Drago is actually a kid appeal character. He's got the glorious backstory of being a man eaten by a Dragon an ressurecting from its egg. Kid appeal.

Also, I need more of Ivelisse boobs on TV.

I don't reckon he's being played for kid appeal here. The black drool and brooding stoicism during his backstage segment coupled with his in ring mannerisms say violent bad ass. Though I personally would thoroughly enjoy seeing a dragon baby character as well.

I don't reckon he's being played for kid appeal here. The black drool and brooding stoicism during his backstage segment coupled with his in ring mannerisms say violent bad ass. Though I personally would thoroughly enjoy seeing a dragon baby character as well.

Trust me. In Latinamerica, the evil dragon is kid appeal.

I just binged the first four episodes this morning. I love the show so far and think it has a ton of potential. I love the videos they show to give the back story of debuting wrestlers. They are a huge help for a lucha libre novice such as myself. I just wish they showed something about Pentagon Jr., Drago and Fenix before their match instead of just saying they're three of the bests in Mexico. The Drago origin Killjoy described would make for a very interesting vignette.

My only complaint so far is the commentary. Matt Striker and Vampiro are horrifically bad. I was a huge fan of Striker's when he was doing commentary in the WWE. Has he always been this bad? But here's to hoping they improve as they get more accustomed to working together.

Vampiro doesn't give a damn. When he did Triplemania he had Hugo who knew what was going on, plus they knew each other well so they had confidence. Matt's an idiot who makes up stuff most of the time and Vampi clearly knows but doesn't correct him.

The show is consistently entertaining and that means it's doing it's job well.

This is a TV drama with the subject area being professional wrestling. It's NOT Sports Entertainment where it's more like a Variety Show where professional wrestling is sometimes involved.

The way they do backstage segments, vignettes and promos is very good. It's done in a serious tone and gets to the point without much fluff and unnecessary banter.

Do some characters still need to be fleshed out more? Yes. But it's only 4 episodes in, I'm sure they are going to give us back stories for any wrestlers they continue to use.

I'm also sure they will introduce a Championship which the show needs, but not quite yet.

The wrestling itself is very entertaining. I agree, a little, with what some are saying about the no-selling in some matches. It bugs me a little when a guy takes a superkick, gets pinned, kicks out and stands up in 2 seconds, I mean, at least stagger up to your feet with your hand on your chin! Or when a guy takes some sort of devastating looking cutter or powerbomb, gets pinned, kicks out and still gets up a little too fast. But apart from that, the action is excellent!

I see some moves I have never seen before and some sequences that are just fun to watch.

I also like that each character is a real character in and out of the ring from their ring attire to their mannerisms. I like that there are no cookie cutter guys in simple trunks and wrestling boots. I find that incredibly boring and I'm glad no one looks like that. The Lucha version of Big Zeke (or Big Ryck) is awesome. He's used as a solid beast and done well in a way WWE could never do because they didn't let him have any personality.

This is a show I truly look forward to seeing the next episode. I haven't been really disappointed yet.

King Cuerno is AAA Cruiserweight World Champion, Hijo Del Fantasma(Son Of The Phantasm).

I love this show... I'm a TNA fan as well as a WWE fan.. but if TNA wants to show they want to be an Alternative.. then Lucha Underground is emphasizing how it's done. This is totally great and its different.. I like the TV show feel and the fight club mentality. It feels like I'm watching a movie the in ring action isn't bad either. WCW used to do some of this... takes me back to the good ol cruiser weight days!

Cuerno looked pretty cool, but did anyone else hear him say he was from something, Guerrero?

Anyone reckon he's here to hunt Chavo?

Cuerno looked pretty cool, but did anyone else hear him say he was from something, Guerrero?

Anyone reckon he's here to hunt Chavo?
He's billed from Chilpancingo, Guerrero, Mexico. It's a state.

But Konnan does mention that the AAA vice president is mad at Chavo.

He's billed from Chilpancingo, Guerrero, Mexico. It's a state.

But Konnan does mention that the AAA vice president is mad at Chavo.

Yeah, I figured it was an easter-egg or something for future episodes.

Overall, I'm finding the show quite enjoyable, though the matches are a varied bunch.

I dug the show and put up a review on the site.

SHort version: good show for the most part, I'll watch more, I want Matt Striker's mouth welded to the back of a rampaging wildebeest.

Caught up with episode 3 this morning, very enjoyable. I like the 'anyone can fight anyone' theme, and the season-long story of Johnny Mundo/El Jeffe is being built well.

I also like the lack of titles as sometimes I feel titles can distract from the rest of the show. Remember that (at the moment at least) the shows are only an hour long.

I LOVED the main event. Two of the participants, Fenix and Pentagon Jr, were in one of my favourite matches of the year so far, an 8-man elimination match at AAA Verano de Escandalo, and this carried on from that one. I particularly liked the roll through into a back stabber.

And Catrina again did her promo effectively, even though I'm still not sold on Mil Muertes.

Saw episode 4 this morning, probably the weakest so far - but that is like saying there is a weakest member of the Shield, as thus far it has been a very enjoyable season.

Ivelisse is gorgeous!!

Fenix v Pentagon Jr was a very good match, best one of the night. The only problem is the decision to revert to the 'rapid switch' camera views that plagued the season premiere. Made it awkward to keep up at times, especially given how fast paced the match was.

King Cuneo (sp?) had an interesting entrance attire, and an ok match versus Drago. Surprising finish helped too.

The main event was pointless as a match but, as I wrote about ep.3, the Johnny Mundo storyline is thoroughly compelling.

The backstage skits get better by the week as well, it's obvious the wrestlers are getting more comfortable with both the skits and Dario Cueto.

Roll on Episode 5 this Wednesday!

Today's offerings in a word: predictable.

I said before that I'm not wild about intergender matches, or minis fighting full sized opponents. I have nothing against the principle, especially if it tells a good story. I was pumped for Sexy Star against Chavo. However; the problem is that these types of match tend to include exactly the same spots over and over again. This is doubly true for the minis, we already saw today's match the other week. The ending was different, but the story and content were exactly the same, and I'm already bored of it.

I liked Dragon's match. I'm definitely sold on him as a worker. Banderas (whose Mexican name I am using not to look cool, but because I can't spell his LU one) was clearly holding back in ring against Blue Demon and can work well, and Dragon is one of the few guys in the company who can sell worth a damn. Still, and I probably shouldn't say this after last week, but the outcome never felt in doubt.

Main event was fine, but the ending was telegraphed and poorly executed. One guy accidently hitting another with a chair almost never looks good, and this was no exception. I'm not as in to Puma as other people, mostly because he doesn't have any personality in or out of the ring. He's boring, and is getting by on flips and the incredible charisma of Konan alone.

Stuff I liked: I could watch Konan and Dario Cueto drink scotch and talk for a full hour. Dario Cueto continues to be on each show for about three minutes, and is invariably a highlight. He oozes charisma and presence, and his segments always make it feel like stuff is actually happening in a way that the in ring offerings often don't.

Big Rick has good in ring presence, though he's probably not what a promotion like this wants as a fixture in the main event. Also, Mundo's dive and roll was pretty darn cool; though it would have been improved ten fold by the camera not cutting to him before he lumped. Just let him fly in out of nowhere, then show the replay - it would have been awesome.

The only other thing that bugged me, and this is more a concern for the future, is that they seemed to be making the mistake that single hour broadcasts often make where they bend over backwards to get everyone on TV every week. There is no reason why Pentagon Jr and Phoenix needed to be on TV this week. Or to rephrase, there is no reason Phoenix should ever be on TV, and no reason for Pentagon to be helping Chavo. We're probably not going to get a satisfying explanation for it next week, and if they keep doing this then it will undermine the stories they are trying to tell.

Cameos don't keep guys over, and if there's nothing for someone to do one week then that guy shouldn't be on TV. I'm hoping this is just a one week anomaly, and not the start of a trend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back