• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lord William Regal

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
The Sun has an interview with William Regal. He says he wants to be champion. "Of course I want to be involved more in a wrestling capacity, that's why I'm in the shape I'm in. Next I want to be world champion, I really do." He also wants to be a lot more active in the ring. "I’m always jumping all over Vince McMahon to let me wrestle more. He can't stand the sight of me! But you’ve got to. I’m 40 in a few weeks and I feel like I'm better in the ring, and more on my game, than I've ever been. I don't want to be remembered for pulling funny faces, I want people to get a chance to see me wrestle the top fellas and have some big time matches." He also talks about Chris Benoit. "It was a really weird time for me, because the only time that I got to show off the kind of wrestling I was capable of was against him. And all of sudden it was like ‘that’s it’. It is selfish, after all the horrible stuff that happened, but that was a big part of my career gone. I couldn’t go out and do those matches anymore. Then again I put my name on YouTube the other day and there must be 10 of my matches against Benoit on there. So people are obviously watching them again. They’ve forgotten all about those horrific things and have gone back to watching the actual wrestling." Regal also talks about wrestling stars on the rise, Ric Flair, and more.

Naturally anyone in the wrestling industry not there to compete at a chance to be the very best guy on the roster, much less claim hes there to win the World Heavyweight Championship.. well, anyone who claims not to be there for such things simply does not belong. So it comes as no surprise to see William Regal exclaim his desire in becoming a World Champion.

However, based on the connection of his recent King of the Ring victory. Combined with the rumors that 'said' KOTR winner would take on the new "King" gimmick.. I think this is going to be the return of "Lord" William (formerly Steven) Regal. As such, I could see a definate run at the W.W.E. Championship.

What is everyone else's thoughts on this matter? Do you see Regal as being a credible World Heavyweight Championship contender? Do you feel he should be in the Main Event spot on Monday Night Raw? If not, why? If so, why? Explain your thoughts on anything and everything regarding William Regal and his recent (apparent) push.

HA.

check out my daggone backlash thread post. Watch Cm Punk cash in MITB after the 4 way elimination match, to have a WWE championship feud with the man who beat him for KOTR. William Regal. And fuck yes Regal is credible...who is a beter heel besides maybe Edge and Umaga?? No one. and Is Umaga even really a heel still?? When Regal is gonna be in a match, you know its going to be quality, going to be entertaining. I would be ALL ABOUT a Regal title push.

^^^^^

That's why he's my tag team partner.

Honestly, what many have thought to be the biggest debacle in KOTR history could end up being just what the WWE needs. Regal, the GM of Raw who already has all of the "power" in the brand, suddenly becomes this...sort of monarch. And in doing that, Regal forms a heel stable that the WWE has been desperately trying to establish since the Corporation. Regal, being "Lord" could very well be really great. But he cannot...CANNOT be that wimpy "King" that was King Booker. That was arguably the worst gimmick ever, simply because it was at the main event level.

Lord William Regal would need to be mean, treacherous, and basically the mega-heel that he can be. Nobody draws a better heel response except for JBL, and JBL is only hated because people think he sucks. I don't think that people think Regal sucks in the ring, and if they do, they should power up the Tivo and watch Raw two weeks ago when he fought Orton. Or just look back at some of his WCW matches. The guy can wrestle and has proved that he can still do so.

Regal will obviously not be champ right away, but I would really not be surprised if we see a Triple Haitch v. Regal feud in the near future. They need to put the belt on Trips to give the belt some face credibility again. But then, Trips and Regal, perhaps two of the best story tellers in the business, could legitimately put on a feud for the ages. I would mark out so hard if this happens.

Regardless, if freaking JBL can be WWE champ for a year, then there is no reason that Regal can't be.

I have to agree all though i am sticking by my fellow english man, but however i do think regal is an amazing wrestler remember him and benoit on velocity a couple of years easily the match of 2006 and it werent even on tv. i used love this man wen him and edge feuded over the IC title when he had the brass knucks. he is clearly a great heel and a great wrestler he definately deserves a push. whos going to be gm tho?

Questionable.

To me, I wouldn't mind Regal being in the lower realm of the main event echelon, but only if JBL is demoted. Regal is better in the ring, slightly less on the mic, but has a better physique than JBL. Still, they're too close to one another for me to want both of them in the main event, and as I think Regal is more talented, I'd rather see JBL pushed to Smackdown or ECW...as we know that he's friends with Vince which means he won't want to move down to the midcard.

If Regal is to be pushed to the main event, I think he'll probably be HHH's first opponent after he wins the title from Orton (something I'm not hoping for), then a feud with HBK possibly, and then I think honestly that he'll just find himself falling down to the Jericho/Punk/Hardy/Mysterio/Kennedy/Morrison/MVP/Shelton of the limbo between midcard and main event. I can't see Raw's main event heels consisting of only Orton, JBL, and Regal for the next year.

Everything is relative to the draft, however, in my opinion. Things can change at the drop of a hat because of that. Look at Booker. He was pretty much the biggest heel over on Smackdown, was drafted to Raw, and became absolutely nothing before he was released. The opposite (or the same) could happen to other people, changing the whole structure around. That might be damaging OR a booster to Regal being a legitimate main event heel. We'll just have to see, though.

Well, like everyone I was pretty surprised when Regal won KOTR. I like the guy, and I'd love to see him in the ring again, but right then I thought "You better do something good with this, WWE", since letting Regal win over CM Punk who needs credibility right now more than ever is something they should have a damn good reason to do.

But if it leads to Regal's comeback to the ring and a shot at the title I think it's an exellent choice. Somehow Regal seems to be a very hated character, which I didn't understand because I always liked him and he "made" some good matches on Raw, but the fans kept booing the crap out of him.

So seeing such a good entertainer back in action is always a good thing, but he could probably use some change to get credibility again. After all, he's just been a manager for months, so giving him something fresh should help him (the lord-thing others have mentioned here seems pretty likely).

I wonder how he's going to fit in the title picture though.... But the WWE has improved overall lately, so I think they know where they want to go with this.

I've been a Regal fan for as long as I can remember....His matches with Finlay in WCW were great. He's a really talented guy. I even liked him when he was a Man's Man :p

If he can get into the title picture I'm totally for it. I like the idea of CM Punk cashing in Money In The Bank and starting a program with Regal...I'd have Regal come out on top with the belt after a month or 2. Regal starts his heel stable and takes over Raw like an evil dictator. I can see him having himself as King Regal and then DH Smith as an upcoming Price Smith, turn Finlay heel and make him a rugged knight type of character, Hornswoggle could be a Court Jester. Paul Burchill and Dave Taylor could even be worked in somehow. And get a Diva to be a queen.

And you would have this mega heel stable that could hold all the titles and really get over.

And through this you could really make your next big star. Someone who could be the next Stone Cold or Rock. Just taking on all the authority figures on Raw. Regal being GM and champ really puts him in a great position to get something rolling.

I'd pick Kennedy to be the new face of the company. Somebody new who has that star attitude. CM Punk is just to boring, IMO, to be the bad ass face that's needed. amd Cena and HHH are too over to really be booked as an underdog against any of the people in that stable.

I don't see finlay lowering himself to be a knight 2 tournaments in a row, especially when he was the won he lost to in the process. add to that...Finlay's (Northern) Irish, and the angle they'll play is the English and Irish don't get along.
william regal is one of the few legitimate heels in the business (JBL and Edge being the others - Finlay would be if he lost the midget) and he has a knack of getting the crowd against him, effortlessly. JBL has to work at it, but regal seems as though it's effortless.

I've been saying this for a week since Regal won, but he was one of the only 2 guys (Finlay being the other), who both needed and deserved the win in KOTR. And thank you will for mentioning a point I brought up in another thread...the GM is in PERFECT position to manipulate his way into any title shot he wants. he has an entire heel half of a roster to use to take out the talent and build them up at the same time.

Could the man with royalty in his name become champ? I think he might actually be able to do it. He's got the tools, it depends on booking

Lord William Regal has a nice ring to it. Regal is obviously a great heel, people like to hate him, and he hardly uses effort to make people do so. He is a great wreslter and pretty damn good on the mic.

He is one of the best legit heels in the business and he absolutely deserved to win the KOTR and get his push. And as many have said, GM is a good position to be in to 'manipulate' and get the title.

Although I would like to see it, I don't think he will be in the title picture for a while because its stuffed up already.

I'm also someone that has always enjoyed Regal. I think it was smart of them to put him vs. Orton not just for the hometown pop, but to get people used to him being a serious wrestler again. Then following it up with the KOTR.

I'm actually looking forward to see what they do with the Lord Regal angle. I think really outside of Orton, and JBL there isn't really any heels that don't have a comedic slant like Santino and Carlito.

I agree also with Danmen001. I don't know about the title picture, it does seem like they're focused on other wrestlers and it's a little crowded at the moment. Who knows maybe in time, they'll shift directions.

I don't see finlay lowering himself to be a knight 2 tournaments in a row, especially when he was the won he lost to in the process. add to that...Finlay's (Northern) Irish, and the angle they'll play is the English and Irish don't get along.

Most of the UK doesn't get on with each other, plus we've already seen Scots and English together (McIntyre and Taylor). The fans in the US will only care if a foreigner is beating down on an American so...

I've always enjoyed Regal's work as a character but i'm not huge on his wrestling style, jus not a fan of his ground and pound style in the past. However recently he's pulled out a number of decent suplexes i.e. exploder suplex, half nelson suplex and even the belly to back suplex with the bridge he did on Orton 2 weeks ago.

Also, can you really see Regal doing well in gimmick matches? Remember the 4 way tag ladder match he was in, where he and Taylor practically did nothing? Can you honestly say right now that you'd be excited to see a HIAC w/ Regal on one side?

Would b good to see him in ME card, don't know how well it would draw overall, or what the fans reaction would b by the end. Also, can you see WWE giving an Englishman the belt?

Regal is never gonna win the WWE or WHC title, his best chance would be the ECW title, so after putting together his royal stable, which should consist of Burchill, Katie Lea, DH Smith, and just or fun throw in Umanga too, they should go over to ECW and pretty much run rum shot over the place, Regal should then feud with Punk over the MITB title shot, two good things could happen from this, a.) Punk feuds with a guy who could teach him how to wrestle the WWE style, and b.) Regal could win the MITB title shot, and then we wouldn't have to worry about seeing Punk use it (which would be a fucking ratings disaster), Regal could then go on to use the MITB title shot agaisnt Kane, after Kane finishes a match have Regal's royal family come out and further beat the shit out of him, then have Regal come out, cash in MITB and apply the Regal Stretch to a bruised, battered, and beaten Kane, Kane taps or passes out, and Regal is the new ECW champion

Most of the UK doesn't get on with each other, plus we've already seen Scots and English together (McIntyre and Taylor). The fans in the US will only care if a foreigner is beating down on an American so...

I've always enjoyed Regal's work as a character but i'm not huge on his wrestling style, jus not a fan of his ground and pound style in the past. However recently he's pulled out a number of decent suplexes i.e. exploder suplex, half nelson suplex and even the belly to back suplex with the bridge he did on Orton 2 weeks ago.

Also, can you really see Regal doing well in gimmick matches? Remember the 4 way tag ladder match he was in, where he and Taylor practically did nothing? Can you honestly say right now that you'd be excited to see a HIAC w/ Regal on one side?

Would b good to see him in ME card, don't know how well it would draw overall, or what the fans reaction would b by the end. Also, can you see WWE giving an Englishman the belt?

Most of the UK doesn't get along with each other?

That's either pure ignorance or pure blagging to make yourself look smart.

If you're going to drift away from Wrestling into International Politics, maybe you should actually have a clue what you're talking about

I would honestly like to see Regal win the WWE Title. I think it would be something fresh, and I think he could carry it well. This guy is gold on the mic, gold in the ring, and could make the Title picture interesting.
cenah8r1000 said:
Honestly I would. His ground and pound style, and old school smash mouth offense would be perfect for Hell in a Cell. Using the cage as a weapon, he could show how truly sadistic he really is. I think he could put on a very good showing in HIAC.

Also, the reason they didn't really do anything in the Ladder Match is because they were supposed to be scared of heights. It was just a way of throwing them in the match, but not really having them in the match.

also if the storyline is that regal is in charge we would be unlikely to see gimmick matches that wouldnt favour him - or even if he did some of his stable would cheat to help him
so that would be a way to get around regal being weak in gimmick matches - if he was proven to be which im not sure he would be

im not sure abt himin general tho he might make an interesting feud

people are talking about his stable, which he hasnt even got yet, having regal win the king of the ring was a good curveball by the WWE and if it acheives nothing else it adds another active heel to the roster. They could do a number of things with regal now, he is good enough to win the intercontinental title and is just enough of a big name to be used as a stepping stone for future main eventers such as kennedy should kennedy face turn, punk or someone else.

I think regal can be a top representatives for the brits and is truly underrated imo. I as horrified punk was going to win kotr and mitb. It will be intresting to see the next step for regal.

Thank God for Lord William Regal.

Finally, a heel that could not only be a nice comedy heel, but have the inring ability to make matches worth a damn.

Honestly Regal is what Raw needs, and needs bad at this point. As said before, here you have a guy that is about as proven of a veteran as you get, will pretty much play the King role to perfection, oh and guess what, he already has all the power on the Brand. Awesome, just awesome.

We're heading into the summer months, a natural lull time for the wrestling business. Why not try something with Regal at this point? Ratings hit what, 3.0? Could they possibly get any lower. I really hope they give Regal a legit chance. He's been around forever, and is a relatively fresh face when it comes to the main event scene. He's unique enough never to get old of.

I personally am very interested in what they do with this because he is a very VERY talented individual and is damn funny at the same time. He lends himself to a number of rules - King, Rebel GM, in-ring talent.

As Shocky has pointed out, WWE has nothing to lose giving regal a run. if it doesn't work, well they can just play it away as being destroyed, it won't happen, but in theory, it can be explained away.

if Regal wasn't GM at this point I would understand why they gave the title to him....... but why did they give it to Regal anyway? Matt Hardy should've gotten it. he deserves a push. his feud with MVP has run its course.

I think WWE should address him as Lord William Regal, not King, also if hes going to wrestle again then get a new g.m..
Put the Coach back, and this time make him a fan friendly g.m., why do all brands have to have a heel g.m. and have Vince be a heel? its really old.

William Regal?

Seriously???

come on! it is no secret he is close with HHH, that is the reason for his very quick push, is he an outstanding heel, no question! he always been great on the mic (him saying Umanga cracks me up everytime LOL) but to go from GM to King of the Ring in one week... you talk about a rapid push my goodness

but I notice that all the people that are "liked by HHH" do get pushed as mainevent guys

I think Regal will get his Championship Push but probably will be a short one, not sure if it will be before JBL though but we shall see, maybe they are setting up HHH to put him over I don't know

*BACKLASH SPOILER BELOW*

The article on WWE.com about Trips winning the WWE title at Backlash is already hinting at a HHH/Regal angle and it's something I could really see working. I don't think anyone wants to see HHH/Orton AGAIN in three weeks time at JDay so setting up Regal (as has been said in this thread as an evil, vile, despicable heel Lord/GM w/ stable) and HHH would be a fantastic move. I'm still not sure that Regal would get the title but he's proven himself time and again in the WWE (and before that in WCW) to be a fantastic worker, skilled in the ring, a master of storytelling/psychology, fantastic on the stick ("I'm going to get up half an hour earlier just so I can hate you more") and an utterly believable heel. He's absolutely effortless and at the peak of his powers.
If they don't at least elevate him to Upper Card level then they've really missed a trick there

every King gets a title run don't they? Booker T had a nice title run last year after winning King Of The Ring

Regal been in the business for so long and never really got that push in WCW or WWE so why not (anybody remember that Man's Man thing he tried to use when he came to the WWE years ago with the Lumberjack image LOL), his new look with the hair is much more marketable then with the clean cut Vince McMahon hair cut he use to have LOL

I never been a fan of the guy much in ECW or when he first came to the WWE, he was just so boring to me but now as a heel I think it would work and who better to put him over then his BUDDY HHH

From my point of view... I think Regal is not over enough to become WHC or WWE champ... and honestly I was a bit dissapointed with his victory in KOTR... but I've been thinking about it and we could get something HUGE, or at least entertaining if it is well worked...

What I see...

Monday Night Raw 04.28.2008 - Regal gets crowned, and gives us a looooooooooong speech about everybody not giving him a little respect, so now he is "lord Regal", he will change things... first of all showing us his court... basicaly formed by non-american guys... I think the burchill bros, tino-lito, ******** Smith, UmaNga, maybe a super crazy heel turn as the jester (he is jobbing on heat anyways)... Then... as he has lots of power now (being King and GM)... he will conquer Raw...

So we get match #1 tino - lito vs rhodes - softcore holly (is just my imagination or they really are #1 contenders to tag team titles??) and regal makes it some sort of no DQ... then we get some help from the stable and Carlito gets the pin... the stable starts to get gold...

We may get another woman involved in here, and that one gets the title from mickie james (women's title doesn't mean anything these days anyways, so a quick reign is harmless for james) obviously with help from the stable = massive heat for regal, jobbers and midcarders become at least credible heels instead of comedy wrestlers, and more gold for the stable...

So we get more matches with heels over faces, with the help of regal's court, I can think of Burchill going over someone that people loves (where the hell is Jeff Hardy when needed, damn it!)... well maybe jericho would work...

Or... we may get some surprise turn... like Y2J joining them...

We still have a pending rematch for Orton... And Regal I supose he gets a shot at the title for being KOTR, doesn´t he??? So... There is your judgement day triple threat main event, which should be waaaaaaaaaay better than another Orton-H match, but this multiman matches become more stale each time... Then I guess H retains by pedigreeing (and) pinning Regal... and Regal, out of frustration, beats H with the help of his court... (ala Evolution style, when all PPV finishes were blood baths...) Next monday Regal says he will do anything he can to finish H's title run... mmmm... interesting... Because "well booked" we can see a new champ before night of champions PPV, I don't know... someone like Regal's protegé or his personal choice to finish H... but on the other hand and here is why I said interesting... I may think "wwe storyline" style... and we will get H burying the whole midcard by himself... becoming a fighting champion... overcoming the odds all the time, getting help from his face partners (well, just from HBK) and all my vision becomes just a "Khali post"... Huge but pretty useless...

every King gets a title run don't they? Booker T had a nice title run last year after winning King Of The Ring

Regal been in the business for so long and never really got that push in WCW or WWE so why not (anybody remember that Man's Man thing he tried to use when he came to the WWE years ago with the Lumberjack image LOL), his new look with the hair is much more marketable then with the clean cut Vince McMahon hair cut he use to have LOL

I never been a fan of the guy much in ECW or when he first came to the WWE, he was just so boring to me but now as a heel I think it would work and who better to put him over then his BUDDY HHH

Billy Gunn, Mabel, Ken Shamrock didn't get a title run so there's no guarantee he'll get a shot in the end. it's just a nice idea to add something completely different to the wwe title scene rather than cena/hhh/orton at every ppv.

As for his hair...I think it looks so much better. it makes him look more intimidating rather than the 'business' style cut he had going which made him look weak. the long hair gives him a more rugged look and i think makes him more credible as a king and heel.

I think the naughty one is one of the best heels wwe has at the minute, simply because american audiences dont seem to WANT to cheer for him as a face, and he's good enough on the mic to get extra hatred from the fans. it could be an interesting feud if it happens

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back