• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

KB Answers Wrestling Questions

Who was the first ever Olympic gold medalist to compete in WWE? I know it isn't Kurt Angle. Maybe it is someone not from amateur wrestling.

Could you name some Olympic performers who got into pro-wrestling?

He's the first gold one. There was a rower who won gold and wrestled briefly back in the 30s but he was never anything of note.

Ken Patera was an Olympian but I don't think he medaled.
Mark Henry was an Olympian but he didn't compete because of an injury.
Bad News Brown was a bronze medalist in Judo.
Brad Rheingans qualified for the Olympic wrestling team but didn't compete because of the USA boycott.
Danny Hodge is an older guy and won silver back in the 50s.

There are a few Japanese ones with the main ones you'll have heard of being Jumbo Tsuruta and Riki Choshu.

There are others but they're much smaller names for the most part.

I was listening to a show of Dave Meltzer's radio show that aired a week before WrestleMania 17 in 2001. He spoke about The Rock getting booed in WWE recently. Was The Rock booed during the build up for WrestleMania 2001? Even if it was briefly. If yes, then when?

I was listening to a show of Dave Meltzer's radio show that aired a week before WrestleMania 17 in 2001. He spoke about The Rock getting booed in WWE recently. Was The Rock booed during the build up for WrestleMania 2001? Even if it was briefly. If yes, then when?

He sure got booed at the Astro Dome.

KB, look at these names:

Hogan, Austin (after neck surgery), Cena

These...these people aren't good 'wrestlers', are they? A mat rat like an Angle or entertaining like a Shawn. Does being a good wrestler (ring work wise) have little to do with going over?

Only in Texas, which makes the WM 17 turn by Austin all the more head shaking.

Who were the best undercard wrestlers? Mid-card wrestlers?

Tito Santana is a good place to start. Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard.

He sure got booed at the Astro Dome.

KB, look at these names:

Hogan, Austin (after neck surgery), Cena

These...these people aren't good 'wrestlers', are they? A mat rat like an Angle or entertaining like a Shawn. Does being a good wrestler (ring work wise) have little to do with going over?

I've answered this one a lot.

Very little. If it meant more, Dean Malenko vs. William Regal would have headlined about 10 Wrestlemanias in a row.

Shawn Michaels put it best while on commentary at WM 13 when talking about Sid: "Why would he ever go away from the power game? That power takes him everywhere he needs to go." Hogan's very basic style made him the biggest star in the world. Why would he ever change that unless it stopped working? Austin could more than go in the ring. There's a match in 2001 against Benoit where all night long they had built it up as brawler vs. wrestling master. Austin spends 15 minutes going hold for hold on the mat with Benoit and it's awesome. As for Cena, watch any of his matches with Punk and tell me he can't get on a mat and go.

This notion of being a good "wrestler" makes little sense when you think about it. The idea of wrestling as we think of it is based around entertainment, not how many moves you use. I can assure you that any average size wrestler can do almost any move asked of him, but it would make no sense to do so. Wrestling is about getting the audience involved in the match and building to an exciting conclusion. Now Shawn is as good as anyone has ever been at getting the crowd to buy into them, but the moves he uses have little to do with that. It's how well he sells the beating and knows how to perfectly time his comeback.

One more note about Hogan: for someone who isn't a good "wrestler", how many moves do you remember him botching in his glory days?

Can you recall which promo it is where The Rock pretends to shoot a duck?

It was on a Smackdown I think, likely back in 99 or 2000.

do you think vince should wait to break the shield up before they win any titles?

I'd be fine either way.

Has there ever been a character from film or television or another medium that you thought would translate well into WWE?

Not exactly a character but maybe what Jim Varney claimed he wanted to be: the Hillwilliam: a guy from the hills who wants to make his life better but when he gets upset or mad he turns back into a country hick.

Is there anything that you think TNA do that WWE could learn from?

Don't have the boss be the focal point of the company.

Do you agree with the reply I was going to give to KKG's question to you?

No. Their problem is they break people up either too soon or at the wrong time. The Shield is still rising in the ranks. To break them up would lead to more Justin Gabriel's. Guys with potential but can't catch a break....a REAL break. Yes they've beaten superstars but they are just finally breaking into possibly having star power. The belts are just another stepping stone.

Do you remember Edge's promo with John Cena before Cena faced Lesnar at Extreme Rules last year? I honestly thought Edge's promo was really good. Thoughts?

According to Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer, Antonio Cesaro's standing in WWE has been halted due to company officials deeming him to be "boring." While Cesaro has had a couple of WWE Main Event matches against Kofi Kingston that have drawn praise from an in-ring standpoint, the bouts have done little to improve Cesaro's standing in WWE as officials still feel he lacks personality.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back