• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

John Cena love him or hate him?

tripleddd

Pre-Show Stalwart
Without a doubt John Cena will go down as one of the best ever - yet he still gets booed and Cena Sucks etc Why?
2 reasons i think
1. nobody likes this supercena - beating everybody and everything regardless
2. Lazy writing Cena could of been as popular as The Rock or austin but he never had to struggle in the face of adversity like the other two he never really had to win against all odds and I feel thats why he will never ever get that 'it' factor shame as i feel wwe dropped the ball that way
anyhow thats my thoughts what do you think and why?

You pretty much said it all, yes Cena is talented & yes he does work hard but the problem that is holding him back & thats holding back all talent in WWE right now & thats the PG rating, lazy writing & not the greatest booking in the world. The rating keeps him & others on a leash so they can't shine like the legends before them.

Yeah, Cena was at his worst before TV-PG kicked in.

But yeah, he's definitely Love it Or Hate It. I appreciate what he's done for the company and all, but he's run his course. He's more less at the end of his road as a face, and I've felt like since TLC Cena's been doing his damnest to make WWE turn him heel.

Well obviously I love how hard of a worker he is, but I never liked his silly cheesy lame thuganomics character and I sure as hell can't stand his Superman baby face character. I'd like to see him be a heel, but NOT that stupid thuganomics junk this time around. :disappointed:

Ever see that starburst commerical? U know the one where they talk about starburst being a contradiction? Well that two cena marks that started this thread committed contradiction aswell. One says that cena won't be as big as austin/rock bc he doesn't face against all odds type of odds. Ummm yes he has, he has had the deck stacked against him many many times and he ALWAYS wins. Hence supercena as u called him yourselves. How can he be supercena if he doesn't beat everything and anything? Exactly. The reason he gets booed is bc his character is straight stale, and so boring to the serious wrestling fan. They make everyone look weak against him and fans like different wrestlers, they don't wanna see the same guy dwarfing everyone the same way and say the samethings over and over. He will not be great like Austin, The Rock, HHH or a Taker because he just isn't as good as them. This can all change if they turn him heel right now. HHH became a legend as a heel, Cenas ability to talk would make him a great heel. Let him cheat to win I.e. Kurt Angle WWE days and watch him florish.

Without a doubt John Cena will go down as one of the best ever - yet he still gets booed and Cena Sucks etc Why?
2 reasons i think
2. Lazy writing Cena could of been as popular as The Rock or austin but he never had to struggle in the face of adversity like the other two he never really had to win against all odds and I feel thats why he will never ever get that 'it' factor shame as i feel wwe dropped the ball that way

Pretty much this. He's been overpushed and that's the bottom line. We're oversaturated with Cena. Hell, Cena wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for this. He's far from the best wrestler, that much is true, but so was The Rock. There have been much worse ring-wise than Cena. Sure his gimmick is also lame and the creative team won't do anything with it, which is a definite negative, but it still wouldn't make people hate Cena's guts (or at least his character's) if it wasn't compounded with the whole superCena thing.

Speaking for myself (and I presume many others)- I don't want to see this marginal wrestler at best with a lame gimmick constantly getting title runs and main eventing Wrestlemania five or six years in a row. Aside from it getting stale, there are others that are just as, if not more deserving people to get a piece of that action too.

Yeah, Cena was at his worst before TV-PG kicked in.

Yeah, Cena was a lot worse in 2006 and 2007 when he got that monster title run than he is now.

John Cena the person- love him. Seems like a really stand up guy and very down to Earth and plus he grants wishes for dying children. Definitely like him in that regard for sure. Not to mention his love and dedication to his job.

John Cena, the character, who I see on T.V. in his current adaptation I hate to a great extent. The fact that he has become bigger than the company. The fact that he upstages the WWE title picture. Him going over every single person always winning titles at Wrestlemania and he needs to lose this Sunday. He always no sells everything and constantly overcomes the odds. He is a castrated corporate machine who is this can do no wrong boyscout. Most of his promos suck huge ass and his delivery seems forced. Not to mention he isn't as bad in the ring as some like to think but there is no way I could enjoy a Cena match unless he's being carried.

I like John Cena. I have to admit, I have been bored with most of his current fueds but this one with The Rock and The Miz have really let John Cena shine. This is the John Cena I liked when I got back into wrestling. I am starting to become a fan of SuperCena as well. He gives the little kids someone to look up to and his wrestling is not as bad as other Superstars.

I fully agree with celtic corey. Cena the man, is a great guy who does stuff for children and seem like he is a genuinly nice guy.

cena the wrestler- has been overpushed for over 5 years now. he always wins, and it is always the same, always. they never make him look weak, nor has he ever really put anyone over. the times that he is injured are the times where i love wwe the most. the guy gets booed out of the building, and they still push him to the moon because he sells t-shirts. he is the epitome of the wwe selling out (obviously they have to, its a corporation, i get it) and not carring about the die hard fans, but the merchandise sales. and i wont even touch his mic work or wrestling because corey covered that very well.

I think Cena has been a face way too long and I agree that they have run out of ideas on what to do with him. He badly needs to turn heel to do him some justice because he is without a doubt one of the hardest working, most dedicated wrestlers of all time.

The only way he can keep his popularity alive is to turn heel and after Monday night on Raw, now is the perfect opportunity!

I may get heat for this but I LOVE Cena, i loved him as the dr. of thuganomics, and i like him as supercena, hes good on the mic so it keeps people interested in his feuds, hes not bad at all in the ring, he has a lot of exciting moments due to his unreal strength. He also embraces who he is no matter what, take his current character for instance, he knows people call him supercena so he jokes with it and acts like hes pulling out his superman costume right before he does the five knuckle shuffle. He always gets behind his character or feuds and makes them as believable as possible, same with his feuds...he is great as a face or heel and hes also a great guy...that doesnt happen too often its hard to find the face of a company as good a dude as cena. Like someone says hes also a good role model for kids, he wasnt one as a rapper, he could be any character...but since he was the top face and the company went pg he made sure he was the perfect role model for children, their main audience...Cena gets loud pops still as a face, and he also gets boos, but like it or not everyone reacts to him when hes out there and he always holds your attention. So i like Cena, ill like him no matter what he does

I used to be a Hate him guy.. But ever since Elimination Chamber, my feeling about John Cena has made its way from bewilderment for his storylines and hatred for his blatant, over-the-top "face-ism" to impressed by his ability to bounce back each week against the Rock to imo be the one to come off as "right" in his arguments and has made points that are very valid amongst jokes that are quite funny. I rarely prefer the face to go over, but I must admit, John Cena has won me over this month by having this opportunity, courtesy of the Rock, to articulately and effectively defend himself- his character, morality, and "over-face-ness". He's about the kids, he admitted it and he's proud of it. He took everything the Rock dished out, and especially this last Raw took it like a man, and imo he made the Rock look like an actual bad guy. Even going as far to say "Shame on you" that was classic.
I actually don't mind having be won over by Cena, and wouldn't be ashamed to say I lean further toward Team Cena every week. I still mark out enough for the Rock to consider myself still in limbo though, and there's a good chance that when the Rock is gone, Cena will be unbearable once again, (unless he turns heel of course). But until that time I will sit back and enjoy. And for now, I don't know what I'd rather see more and think I'll be satisfied with whatever path they've chosen to take at WrestleMania.

I'm glad this thread was posted. Look, I've been watching WWE since 1996. And when John Cena debuted on SmackDown, I said this kid has got talent. Right then & there, Cena was officially my favorite WWE Superstar & still is. Now, I'm gonna get people bitching at me & saying that I'm only sticking up for Cena cuz I'm a huge Cena mark. Here's the thing though, I've met the guy a few times after WWE events (I.e. SmackDown, RAW, pay-per-views) & he is a stand up guy & an absolutely nice guy & really does deserve his main-event spot in the WWE & a place in the HOF at a later date. The thing is though, Super Cena didn't debut as saint as he turned face in 2003. It started in late 2008 after his feud with Chris Jericho over the World title. I personally like Cena as a face, but more of his 2005-2007 character. See, back before 2007, he was edgy & was still displaying good in-ring ability & great promos. Back then, he had a great feud with Edge & he wasn't this Super Cena, purple/orange wearing kiddie hero. And if you've watched his career from 2002, you know that Cena can wrestle, he's quite a good in-ring wrestler but he's kind of been made into this character who "Hulks up" every match & will throw some different moves around but mostly uses his trademark moves to end a match after coming back from nowhere. Cena needs to turn heel. This way, WWE Creative will let him actually put his in-ring ability to use & debut a new, edgy & un-stale character. He can do a lot in the ring, watch some of his UPW & OVW videos on YouTube as well, you'll see. I like Cena, he's my favorite WWE Superstar of all time but he's been boring me for the past 2 years really, something needs to change.

I have to admit, he has grown on me, and I respect the man. He isn't the greatest wrestler no, but I think it is the whole ''Super Cena'' gimmick that pisses people off.

He would have been a massive star and well respected had he come from Ultimate Warrior/Hulk Hogan era, as they too were all about overcoming the odds and they weren't ''technically sound''. Imagine an Ultimate Warrior in this day and age. Kicking out of five finishers in a row (Macho King), or no selling finishing moves (WrestleMania 12 V HHH). The crowd would despise him.

Cena is simply in the wrong era, I mean his rapper gimmick would have worked in the Attitude Era. This is his era, and funnily enough he doesn't fit in.

I did notice the boo's subsided however, until The Rock came back, and since then he has been booed like hell again. Why? Take a look at Hogan/Rock WrestleMania 18. I know The Rock isn't a heel now, but fans get excited about seeing some of the biggest legends in wrestling, and therefore it will have negative reactions from the fans on their opponents.

Like I said, I respect the guy and he doesn't bore me as much anymore, so I guess that's a good thing that I've finally been wore down. I do know this much though, hated or loved, he always gets a reaction, and I would like ANY reaction as opposed to dead silence and people using my match as a piss-break.

I respect Cena for all the work he does for WWE and I respect him as a person.

But I cannot STAND him as a wrestler, especially when he tries to be "funny". I don't like the Super Cena bullshit, and I don't like how he tries to portray a squeaky clean image to his 5 year old fans. It insults the intelligence of the older audience.

I have never wanted to see someone get Rock Bottomed more, I'll give him that

Man, I could write a 4 page paper about this topic. For the past 3 years I have been very critical of Cena, and his I Quit Match with Orton was probably my pick for the match I despise the most until Jeff Hardy got stoned. But at the same time, he has had some of my all time favorite matches, such as his Last Man Standing match vs. Umaga, his hour-long match against HBK on Raw, and his TLC match against Edge. He has his flaws, but he is not NEARLY as bad as so many attitude era marks make him out to be.

But after last monday, I found myself really wanting Cena to come out on top over the Rock, partly because of his serious promo, partly because of the fact he made me MTFO with that AA, and partly because I've just gotten tired of people bitching about him. I have this weird mentality to like things that people just love to hate, and Cena is becoming one of those things. I get where his critics are coming from, but I'm sick of people calling him "lame" when he jokes, but then say he acts like a "bullied school child" when he gets serious. I'm sick of people bagging on the fact that kids like him, and that they "can't wait to see the little kiddies cry" when Cena loses. Do these people know they're making asses of themselves?

Cena's about to step into the biggest feud of his career, and last night he proved he can keep up with the Rock. Yes, the Rock is helping him get over, but he's doing so in a way that if Cena fails, he will look awful. Whether he does it with his current persona or as a heel, I think Cena has what it takes to make this a back-and-forth, intense, must-see battle of the titans, and the feud will not be as good if the Rock just steamrolls over Cena the way so many want him to.

Okay, if I'm being honest here, I do love John Cena. I'm a member of the CeNation, I think he's amazing, I've watched every movie of his, and I think he's one of the best there ever was. He's truly dedicated to the WWE and does so much hard work. And the pop when his music comes on is possibly the loudest there is.
But the way things are going in his career right now, I'm not loving.
I do agree that he should go heel, but every kid's dream would be crushed. I think that's part of why the WWE is so reluctant to do so. It might sound stupid, but lots of kids tune in to Raw just to see John Cena. But I think it comes down to the fact that the WWE just doesn't have many more storylines for him. It's always the same during Wrestlemania time: John Cena and the WWE title-holder feud, and he walks out of 'Mania the champ. Then, they find some other feud for him to have during the rest of the year. This new feud with the Rock has been getting him more popularity, but also bringing him down. Last week on Raw when he was "via sattelite" I saw something I've never seen before: The crowd was actually booing him. Without a "let's go Cena". I felt bad for him there, but it says something. People are taking the Rock's side. And with that AA on him, things are going to be even worse on next week. Maybe this is the start of a heel turn, maybe not. We don't know. But all I know is they have to find some variety for him, or we're going to start getting really bored with him.
All in all, John Cena is really talented and hard working and has lots more of a great career ahead of him. Definitely going into the Hall Of Fame. If they just find a little more variety for him, we'll be more excited to see what he has in store.:)

Its almost like its a "love to hate", for most ppl.. Like its the cool thing to do.. What amazing me is, how fast some ppl forget things in wrestling.. OR .. fail to see just how similar cena and the rock r... Now i know some will bash me for saying that, but lets just be real.. Chicks and kids love cena..(most chicks and all kids..seemingly) annnd...a.. lot..a lot of males over a certain age hate him.. we can't say all older males do because if u actually pay attention, its a whole lot of cena gear on grown men.. Lots of grown men like the guy.. The guys that don't like Cena are, as everyone has stated, simply tired of his "always win character".. PPl are just tired of seening he win and win and win.. But those same guys,(most of them.) liked Cena prior to this as you all call it "super cena".. But, whats diffrent in this and with what happened with The Rock around the ruthless aggression era... Rock was gettin major boos night n and night out..(by guys) and continued to get cheered by chicks and younger ppl... why? same reason.. the heel Rock was cool... after a while he got stale.. corny... ( monkeys nipples and monkeys anus...= corny) so whats the diff and cena? its not one.. ANd tho i personally wouldn'[t mind a cena heel turn, I really don't c it happening.. Not just because of the merch sales..(tho that is a big thing) but mainly because of everything thats going on with the Make a Wish foundation... The guy is the most requested star.. not just wrestler.. star.. period.. ever... just not gonna happen anytime in the immediate future.. You can look back just to this past monday and his promo when he spoke about the kids being his audience.. Its not gonna happen.. SO ppl need to come up with something else to complain about.. but please... anything other then .. "u can't wrestle.." or "4 of 5 moves" anyone who...really keeps up with wrestling knows that certain characters don't allow certain moves.. Cena had and used more moves n ovw... but as his charcter develop'd, obviously he wasnt' gonna do certain things.. case n point.. stone cold steve austin.... was always more of a technical wrestler as stunning steve.. but the stone cold character didn't call for that...

John Cena as a person: Awesome!!! I cannot praise him enough for what he does with the make a wish foundation and for our troops overseas. If I ever ran into him I gladly shake his hand and tell him he is an inspiration to those who care for others less fortunate.

John Cena as a character: I absolutely cannot stand. It's insulting to us older fans that this is considerd entertainment. No way in hell can this be what the WWE is pushing now. Yet it is. I don't even put the blame on him though as he has been limited due to Vince and Linda wanting to put of this PG era shit.

I'm caught between the kayfabe and the reality.

Kayfabe: I've always been a heel type of persona. I think real, in depth, wrestling fans tend to hate on a guy who overshadows all of the other great superstars that we notice. Not to mention his limited work, that seems like a replay button every time he steps in a ring, but every wrestler has a repeatable move-set list, so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I think people are just ready for a change, a different dog at the top of the food chain.

Reality: He is a stand up guy who breaks his back for the company. He has fulfilled so many wishes for sick kids, that it's crazy. I love the guy and what he is doing for the company. He supports our troops, and i think his recent promo on raw this week said a lot about his character. He is "damn proud" that his fanbase is comprised of kids. You have to respect him for that, and how can you not like a guy who has done the things mentioned in this paragraph.

2 reasons i think
Actually I think its opposite. He ALWAYS had to win against all odds. The wwe has constantly put him in situations where he should be beaten, and he rarely is, which has really grown tiresome.
Besides that I think he tries way to hard to be funny instead of naturally being funny. His character is also a massive hypocrite.
Also is there ever a time when you dont get the impression that WWE wants you to think he is the best? Even when he is not the champion, its clear that all things being equal he SHOULD be the champion, because he is pushed as if he is head and shoulders better than everyone else in the company.

Regarding your point about Cena not having to overcome adversity; in terms of Austin, I definitely agree. Austin came up through the territory system and treaded water for much longer than he was on top.

In terms of the Rock, though; when did he have to overcome adversity? He came right from Canadian football into the WWF because of who his father & grandfather are. Also, although his initial push as Rocky Maivia was a failure, he was still being pushed as a big star right from the beginning. Cena certainly didn't have that advantage. Even after a classic against Kurt Angle (a match people on this board tend to conviniently forget when they gripe about Cena's in-ring abilities), Vince didn't really see anything in him. It took a good word from Jericho, and Steph liking his white rapper gimmick before he was given much of a shot.

I used to hate Cena! The only thing I use to talk about was John Cena. How much he sucks, he only has 5 moves, he can't wrestle, he doesn't derserve to beat people in a fake television show.

Then, I left. I left wrestling for a good year and a half. Took a well deserved break form lal the bitching and moaning over a guy winning a pre-determined match, or a prop.

Then I can back, and Cena is now unquestionally one of my favorite wrestler's today. He's wreslting, his showmanship, his commitment, his reaction's, his promo's. Their alway's so good.

Sure, his gimmick is hit or miss for some people, and I can see that, but how he handles himself in the ring, how he makes you feel his emotion's in the match, how the crowd can love him and hate him at the same time. It's just all the reason why I'm a huge Cena fan.

Sure, he does'nt do 15 moves and backflip's. But, neither did Triple H, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, The Rock, Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Mick Foley, Bret Hart, Ric Flair. All of them are legend's. Cena is slowly moving into that category already. He's had some great matches with immensly lesser talented superstar's. Guy's Like Umaga, Bobby Lashley, Justin Gabriel, John Morrison, Great Khali probably had their best match with Cena.

Honestly, besides his gimmick (which I don't hate) what is there to hate about him?

What, his promo's are corny? Guess what, their not for you, their for the kid's, and the mark's. Maybe if some of you people have fun and you realize your watching a television show instead of yelling at the screen the whole time saying "this isn't funny!", you'll enjoy it more.

Yes, he win's alot. But, as being the top face, usually 9 times out of ten, you win your matches! If you don't believe me, go watch Stone Cold, or Hulk Hogan. And, the fact of the matter is, it is the John Cena show, he WWE books their programming like any television character - with a central character that the whole rest of that make-believe universe revolves around.

The 80's, Hogan's show. 90's Austin's show. Now, Cena's show. Cena win's most of his matches because he's a top face, he's the main character. He's not gonna lose all of his matches, that would'nt make sense. Simple as that. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you realize he can come back after a DDT on concrete, he does sell his moves, he can wrestle and carry people, he is deservingly so the top face, the better.

For over a year now Cena has been putting people over without access to the title. But no one ever mentions that. You say he is stale and boring and Superman....HATE THE GAME, not the player. If you were in his position with the money and the desire you would be doing the exact same thing as he is. Anyone that says otherwise is a liar. Simple truth

I was thinking about this earlier, and to some extent I almost feel guilty for "hating" Cena....I dont dislike because everyone else does, I simply dont like his character on screen....I almost feel guilty because I see someone passionate about wrestling like I've never seen before....and to see the pictures of him as a child growing up wanting to do this as his livelihood, and see all those kids look up to him, just like he looked up to Hogan or somebody, its almost unsettling because I realize he is playing a character mainly targeted towards kids who were just like him....I guess what Im tryin to say is I dont hate him, I dont dislike him, but I do respect him...I guess in a way he is starting to win me over because I see so many innocent kids who just love watching the product....Attitude Eras dont last long and gimmicky to begin with but it was enjoyable and made me watch wrestling initially....I will never be his biggest fan (more like Austins biggest fan), but I do respect him

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back