• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

"It Didn't Matter Who Won!"

Savage and Steamboat from WM 3.

This match is one of the greatest of all time, but Steamboat's career kind of stalled after this. He went to the NWA about a year later, after doing very little in betwee. Savage on the other hand went on to a world title victory the next year. This match really isn't remembered for the winner but rather for being perhaps perfection in a match. Both men were elevated to world titles, but Savage's are far more memorable.

How does this make any sense?
Based upon the history of wrestling, I think it makes perfect sense.

I think you need to go back and re-watch the match and pay very close attention to the story within it.
I've seen it numerous times, and know the story within.

How anyone can put this on the list of "winner didn't matter" just baffles me, because the details of the story told, and the choice of the winner and how it played out is everything to this match.
If it baffles you, then that speaks to your own understanding, not mine.

The reason its such a great match, holds such a permanent place in history, and was so effective is because Austin DIDN'T win.
No, it doesn't. It holds its place because of the story told, and because Austin refused to quit. If the WINNER of the match had meant something, we'd talk about that, but we don't. We talk about how great the match was, and how it was the match that officially signaled the double turn of Hart and Austin.

Its because Austin wouldn't give up and wouldn't quite, yet he techically lost but did it his way by showing his heart and determination. If Austin had come back, stunned Hart, and won the match it would have had no meaning at all.
Completely wrong. If the match had gone the same way it did, except that Austin made the ropes, they worked a little longer, ending with a Stunner, then the match would have the same significance, as long as they still managed to pull off the face/heel turn, and still played that video of Steve Austin refusing to lose.

You're confusing quality of match finish, with importance of winner.

Hart losing would've meant nothing but Austin losing meant EVERYTHING, because of the way he lost.
Again, you're confusing match finish with importance of winner. Austin lost at Survivor Series '96 as well, but people don't talk about that. They just talk about the WM match...not because he lost, but because of the story of the match. The winner didn't matter, as the story of the match put Austin over, not the winner/loser.

The heel turn at the end would've lost its meaning too, because what made it so effective and gave so much to Austin's face turn, is because Bret WON the match and still attacked him afterwards when Austin couldn't defend himself.
You're right, because they couldn't have done that if Austin had won the match. :rolleyes:

It was the act of attacking Austin after he'd lost that cemented the double turn.
It would have had the same effect if Bret Hart had "snapped" and done his evil deed because he had lost the match.

So to say the winner of the match didn't matter makes no sense because it meant everything to the story of the match.
You could still have the "courage and heart" storyline in a match, without losing. I've seen it done many times in wrestling. Perhaps you should watch wrestling more often.

Taker/HBK-HIAC

I have yet to see anyone mention this match yet, but I think it prolly fits in here very well since there was so much going on in and with the match, first you had the fact that it was the first ever HIAC match, which had people sitting in anticipation to see what could possibly happen in a match like this, then you had, as you useally do with HIAC matches, and endless reel of big spot moments, such as HBK being thrown head first into the side of the Cell, and HBK falling from the top of the Cell through the table, granted it wasn't as spectacular as Foley being chokeslamed but at the time seeing as how Foleys spot had yet to happen HBKs fall looked even more brutal, then you have them back inside with the door locked and you see the lights go out and a red glow cover the arena and then out comes Kane for the first time ever, rips the Cell door off it's fuckign hinges and tombstones the fuck out of the Deadman, then simply just leaves, the lights come back on and HBK drags his beaten body over the the unconcious Taker and picks up the win, but when you really think about people really never remember or care that HBK won the match, they more remember this match for the debut of the Big Red Machine, Kane

I don't think anyone has said this one but how about

Undertaker vs Kurt Angle at No Way Out 2006

I loved this match for all it was worth. And you know, I didn't care who won, because to me, both men put on great shows, and I'd have to say, 2006 and on is Kurt Angle at his best. He puts on excellent matches with anyone. And I mean sure it was for the World Heavyweight Championship, but I didn't care for that. All I cared about was the actual wrestling in itself. The number of times the Undertaker broke the Ankle lock , it was intense. To see Undertaker using the Triangle Choke, to me, that shows Undertaker's slow evolution to where he is now, with the Devil's Triangle or whatever that MMA submissions he uses is being called these days. Not to mention, the finish on it, I would of never expected it, Undertaker having Kurt in the Triangle Choke, only to have Kurt jump over him in a pinning predicament to retain the title. Great finish to a great match by both men.

Shane vs. Vince Hardcore match

It is hard to remember who won. All I remember is Shane setting the trashcan on Vince as he sat against to turnbuckle, and then Shane flying across the ring. The matches were brutal. You would think that were actually working out some real life father son issues. The family-life storyline issues took up the majority of every show in the run up to the event, but once the match got going, you were cheering them both, as they put it on the line just as much as the actual wrestlers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back