Should the WWE bring back the No Mercy PPV?

CM Steel

A REAL American
Does anybody remember the No Mercy pay per-view?

No Mercy was one of the WWF/E's B-Grade PPV's back in the day. And it had alot of great moments at that PPV. No Mercy was even one of the WWF/E's very few video games that came out on old school Nintendo 64. But remember the matches No Mercy had that were epic!

-Edge & Christian Vs. The Hardy Boyz in the very first tag team ladder match.
-The return of Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Rikishi in a Street Fight match.
-Brock Lesner Vs. The Undertaker in a hell in a cell match & a biker chain match.
-Mr. McMahon Vs. Stephanie McMahon in a "I Quit" match?

No Mercy was a PPV where feuds ended. That was the key & idea. But should the PPV be brought back?

It was just a name. It would be no different than Vengeance, Over the Limit, or fucking Capitol Punishment. It's just a name and there's no value in bringing back a PPV that never meant anything in the first place.

I'm not saying yes, not saying no. I'm saying that it doesn't matter. Not even a little bit.

First of all, I would hardly call the biker chain, Street Fight, and the I Quit matches epic but that's another discussion altogether.

I didn't cry when it went away and I won't cheer if it comes back. It was just a B-level PPV and nothing more. There are plenty of those around for my amusement.

I agree. Just a name. It's not missed. I would bring back the King of the Ring before this. What they need is new ideas or ones not done in the WWE like Halloween Havoc or Beach Brawl.

It may be just a 'name' but it draws more attention & sounds more appealing than gimmick PPV like EC,HIAC&TLC. Put it this way i would rather have No Mercy than HIAC,EC,TLC,OTL,Night of Champions.

The PPV schedule should be:
RR-Late January
WM-Late March/Start April
Backlash-Late April
MITB-Late May
KOTR (Winner gets title shot at SummerSlam)-Late June
SummerSlam-Mid August
No Mercy-Mid September
Halloween Havoc-Late October
SS-Late November
Starrcade-Late December

Yeah. They should bring back PPVs like Backlash, Judgement Day, Unforgiven, etc too. The new gimmick PPV names are dumb. Its ridiculous to name a PPV on a match and then have other type of matches in it. Doesn't makes sense and reduces excitement and unpredictability.

Bring back NO MERCY the video game! Please remake NO MERCY for a new generation with better graphic and game modes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

Okay, now that the fantasy is over.....A PPV like No Mercy is nothing special, it's just a name, if the PPV doesnt have a stand out gimmick like Money in the Bank, then what does it really matter? It doesnt.....

It may be just a 'name' but it draws more attention & sounds more appealing than gimmick PPV like EC,HIAC&TLC.

How? How is a vaguely aggressive sounding statement any more appealing than any of the gimmick PPVs that guarantee you various types of matches? You're talking out of your ass.

Put it this way i would rather have No Mercy than HIAC,EC,TLC,OTL,Night of Champions.

Why? It wouldn't be any different than any of those. It'd be a filler PPV between the ones that matter.

RR-Late January
Backlash-Late April
MITB-Late May
SummerSlam-Mid August
No Mercy-Mid September
SS-Late November
Starrcade-Late December

Yeah, couldn't care less about this. This isn't an "How would all of you armchair bookers want PPVs to be set up, though you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about" thread.

How? How is a vaguely aggressive sounding statement any more appealing than any of the gimmick PPVs that guarantee you various types of matches? You're talking out of your ass.

Why? It wouldn't be any different than any of those. It'd be a filler PPV between the ones that matter.

Yeah, couldn't care less about this. This isn't an "How would all of you armchair bookers want PPVs to be set up, though you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about" thread.

The No Mercy name is more appealing because its been around for years unlike OTL which just sounds stupid.

Why would it have to be a filler PPV i seem to remember No Mercy 1999,2000 & 2007 being successful and 1 of the best PPV's of the year.

Also i said what schedule the PPV's should be, because atm there is too many and all in the wrong place. Why is there a HIAC PPV? I was saying that i would bring back No Mercy instead of 1 of the gimmick PPV's-Idiot.

The No Mercy name is more appealing because its been around for years unlike OTL which just sounds stupid.

It does sound a little better than Over the Limit. That's one out of several PPVs you listed and it's the only one you can say that about. It certainly doesn't have any more appeal than any of the gimmick PPVs.

Why would it have to be a filler PPV i seem to remember No Mercy 1999,2000 & 2007 being successful and 1 of the best PPV's of the year.

Sure, but it was still a filler PPV. Filler PPVs can be awesome, but the name means absolutely nothing.

Also i said what schedule the PPV's should be, because atm there is too many and all in the wrong place. Why is there a HIAC PPV? I was saying that i would bring back No Mercy instead of 1 of the gimmick PPV's-Idiot.

I didn't read it, because I don't care what you think about it. I don't like having a Hell in a Cell PPV either, but to suggest that replacing it with No Mercy would make things better is ******ed. Why not put in any of the other PPVs of the past? It would have the exact same effect. By that, I mean it would have no effect.

It's just words on poster.

I am sorry but it is just a name and who really give two monkey shits what they call the PPV's it isn't like they coincide with what happens at the PPV.

Wrestlemania- Cole and Lawler ( that has nothing to do with wrestling and no one cared about the match so no mania.

Royal Rumble- There is nothing Royal about Drew Carrey being in a match.

Suvivor series- This used to be ALL teams now it is one 6- 8 match and the rest crap.

It doesn't matter what they name the PPV's if they did care the last two would have been called FACEAMANIA. Since all the faces got the win, then the next PPV the same crap. Faceamania X2.

No mercy sounds cute but realistically they can have street fights, ladder matches, I quit matches at any and all PPVs.

The only good thing about No Mercy was the fact that it ended. Seriously, people whine and complain about the gimmick PPV's but before 2008-2009 we were stuck with so many generic PPV's that no one cared about in between the Big 4. Granted I would rather see it return than deal with trash like No Way Out or Capitol Punishment, but what point would there be in bringing it back? There is no match that could become exclusive to that show and it's all about PPV gimmicks these days. No Mercy would not stand out from the rest, and thus if they brought it back it would be gone again the following year.

The one and only memory I really have of that brand was from 2007 when we had 3 WWE Championship matches, but that was more due to Cena's legit injury than anything having to do with the No Mercy brand itself. If it does come back they could replace Extreme Rules with it as the new Wrestlemania rematch show, that's all I can think of. Basically every important match type has its own show by now so there is no match that could give them a reason to bring No Mercy back for. It was not an important PPV brand so it should not return and I think it will just keep fading into obscurity.

Names don't really matter because a PPV is still a PPV no matter what it's called just like a Rose smells just as sweet with a different name. (Though nobody would smell a Rose if it was called Stink Flower) Still, I prefer names to sound awesome and I prefer names to be kept constant. I don't care for WWE's plans to keep changing every non major PPV event name. I'd prefer the WWE to name their 12 PPVs: Royal Rumble, No Way Out (or No Escape), Wrestlemania, Backlash, One Night Stand (or Mayhem), King of the Ring, Great American Bash, Summerslam, No Mercy, Survivor Series, Night of Champions, and Bragging Rights.

Yeah. They should bring back PPVs like Backlash, Judgement Day, Unforgiven, etc too. The new gimmick PPV names are dumb. Its ridiculous to name a PPV on a match and then have other type of matches in it. Doesn't makes sense and reduces excitement and unpredictability.

Reduce unpredictability, yet you'd rather see the same PPV names being reused over and over?

Besides the big four events - and perhaps also Money in the Bank - WWE would do well to bring in brand new names entirely. Want an old idea? How about reverting to the In Your House days where each PPV had a unique title?

Regarding No Mercy, really what would be the point? No Way Out this year felt out of place because it wasn't in February, and the name didn't really relate to the event apart from one cage match. Not to mention the rest of the PPV was fairly below average.

I always did like the Attitude Era names, but at that point it really doesn't matter. No Way out was definitely out of place this year, and it was a below average ppv anyway. I think they should worry more about the card that the name. If all the cards were strong and built up properly I really wouldn't care what the name was.

It may be just a 'name' but it draws more attention & sounds more appealing than gimmick PPV like EC,HIAC&TLC. Put it this way i would rather have No Mercy than HIAC,EC,TLC,OTL,Night of Champions.

RR-Late January
Backlash-Late April
MITB-Late May
SummerSlam-Mid August
No Mercy-Mid September
SS-Late November
Starrcade-Late December

I agree with this very much. I can think of several other PPV's I'd rather see brought back before No Mercy. First of which would be War Games, I just always loved this PPV, and the War Games match in particular. Could totally be into seeing the return of the KOTR, as well as doing away with HIAC & TLC, replacing them with Halloween Havoc and Starcade. Which are far superior shows imo. Honestly wouldn't even mind seeing them do away with Survivor Series once and for all, as I feel the concept of the show has definitely run its course (which is reflected in the shows recent low buy-rate numbers) and replaced by Fall Brawl. FB always was a great show with excellent matches, and awesome presentation.

No Mercy is a better name than Over the Limit, but it's not like the name alters the match quality. Even if they brought back No Mercy you'd still have the same feuds and outcomes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back