WWE No Mercy 2016 General Discussion & Reviews

Terry Gyimah

Championship Contender
Especially since No Mercy is the next PPV on the WWE calendar and seeing as how No Mercy was one of the classic PPVs that WWE has brought back and it being a Smackdown PPV I figure what will be the card for No Mercy? Well seeing as how WWE Backlash went down I can see it going down like this:

WWE World Championship- Styles (c) vs Ambrose II (Backlash rematch)

Smackdown Women's Championship- Becky Lynch (c) vs Natalya (finally ending their program their feud with each other once and for all)

American Alpha vs The Usos (Tag Team Grudge Match)

Smackdown Tag Team Championships- Slater & Rhyno (c) vs The Vaudevillians

WWE Intercontinental Championship (2 out of 3 Falls)- The Miz (c) w/Maryse vs Dolph Ziggler

Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton (Last Man Standing Match)

When I think of No Mercy, 3 things come to mind: Hell In A Cell, Kane and Orton become WWE Champion.

I think the Smackdown writing team will try to rival No Mercy 2002 and No Mercy 2007. So I wouldn't be surprised if some big matches get set in motion.

Im also expecting Nikki vs Carmella, that seems like a story that needs to come to a head soon.

Wasn't "No Mercy" supposed to be the Elimination Chamber PPV this year? Well, it isn't going to work out obviously, but I am still intrigued by the next SmackDown PPV. We now have the champions all set and we'll probably have a big main event match.

So far this are my predictions for the card:

Triple Threat for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship
AJ Styles (c) vs. Dean Ambrose vs. John Cena

WWE Intercontinental Championship - Street Fight
The Miz (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler

SmackDown Divas Championship
Becky Lynch (c) vs. Natalya (or Bliss 'cause she was kinda great)

SmackDown Tag Team Championship
Rhyno & Slater (c) vs. The Usos vs. American Alpha

Singles Match
Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt

Singles Match
Nikki Bella vs. Carmella

That's all the matches I can think that would make some sense. I don't see other team that didn't even make the half finals getting a chance to fight for the tag team championship. If anything, I can easily see Rhyno & Slater dropping the titles in the next few weeks and feud with each other, giving American Alpha and Usos the stage to have a proper singles feud. If they go my route, maybe they drop the titles here to The Usos.

I am also not interested in a Miz/Ziggler rematch. Miz won their match. Yes, Maryse was involved but it was already a stretch to sell that match in the first place. I wouldn't mind having Miz defend the championship in a Six-Pack Challenge, just to have the odds against him, thus developing the Daniel Bryan feud. Maybe have Corbin, Crews, Ziggler, Kane and Kalisto challenge it.

"No Mercy" needs a gimmick match, or else the name wouldn't be properly used. Don't know if it will be Bray Wyatt/Orton or the IC Title or the World Title, but any of them would do.

Pre-show:
Carmella vs Nikki
Main show:

SmackDown Divas Championship
Becky Lynch (c) vs. Alexa Bliss

ladder match: #1 contendership for the IC championship
Kalisto vs Corbin

Tag team grudge match
Usos vs American Alpha

WWE Intercontinental Championship

The Miz (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler

singles match
Randy Orton vs Bray Wyatt

SmackDown Tag Team Championship
Rhyno & Slater (c) vs. Breezango

Triple Threat for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship
AJ Styles (c) vs. Dean Ambrose vs. John Cena

With No mercy being 3 weeks away, I don't see any new feuds being thrown together. Hopefully this is the card because everything already has build and looks good on paper.

After last night's SD, the card will look something like this:

Styles(c) vs Ambrose vs Cena [Triple Threat match for the WWE World Championship]

Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton [Singles match]

Miz(c) vs Ziggler [Steel Cage match with Daniel Bryan as an outside enforcer]
This needs a stipulation. The cage can keep Maryse away and plus add Bryan at ringside, in order to make sure no false escapes happen

Rhyno & Slater(c) vs The Usos [Tag Team match for the SD Tag Team Championship]
American Alpha might be kept off TV until the PPV where they can return and challenge the new champions, the Usos

Lynch(c) vs Alexa Bliss [Singles match for the SD Women's Championship]

Nikki Bella vs Carmella

Baron Corbin vs Kane
My bold prediction

After Smackdown the following are confirmed if not apparent

Styles(c) vs Ambrose vs Cena

Becky(c) vs Alexa

Orton vs Wyatt

Miz(c) vs Ziggler
This likely gets a gimmick or at least Maryse banned. I doubt Bryan would be an enforcer or a ref with his medical condition.

Predictions
Swagger vs Corbin
This seems obvious, they really shouldn't make this the preshow

Slater & Rhyno (c) vs Usos vs American Alpha
This makes sense. They're not going to build up a believable heel team in time other than Usos and they can't leave Alpha off the card.

Nikki and Naomi vs Nattie and Carmella
no reason to leave two of the women off the card

Preshow
Hype Bros vs Vaudevillians

Keep all discussions on theories, the final card, booking scenarios for said card, etc. all here and spam rules do apply.

While there'll be more matches added, most likely, these are the ones that're already on the card and ones I think will ultimately be added:

1. WWE World Championship - AJ Styles vs. John Cena vs. Dean Ambrose
2. WWE Intercontinental Championship - The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler
3 WWE SmackDown Women's Championship - Becky Lynch vs. Alexa Bliss
5. WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship - Heath Slater & Rhyno vs. The Usos
6. 1 On 1 Singles Match - Nikki Bella vs. Carmella

If they do have Miz vs. Ziggler again, I think it'll be some sort of gimmick match like Last Man Standing, Cage Match, Falls Count Anywhere, etc.

If the Usos challenge for the tag titles, I don't expect them to win it their first time around, possibly due to some sort of distraction or interference from American Alpha.

So the card for No Mercy is almost set up as follows:

*. AJ Styles (c) Vs. Dean Ambrose Vs. John Cena for the World Title.
*. Becky Lynch (c) Vs. Alexa Bliss for Smackdown Women Championship.
*. The Miz (c) Vs. Dolph Ziggler for InterContinental Title (Cage Match)
*. Slayno (c) Vs. The Usos for Smackdown Tag Team Titles
*. Baron Corbin Vs. Jack Swagger
*. Bray Wyatt Vs. Randy Orton
*. Nikki Bella Vs. Carmella

This time, Smackdown could easily go full time unlike Backlash.

I see every champion retaining except Slayno. Styles needs to have a reign which is long enough. Same with Becky. Plus Ziggler shouldn't be the one to dethrone The Miz.

Let Crews face Hawkins. Or Kane is available too.

Has Carmella/Bella been announced as a no disqualification match? I know Bryan alluded to that last week on Talking Smack, but as far as I've noticed, they haven't even confirmed the match yet.

Love the "No Mercy fragrance" commercial. Sounds like Maryse says "Non, Merci" (no, thank you). Isn't that adorable?

Smackdown held their No Mercy show this evening and while the card had potential, I did not like this show, and there's a number of things I would have changed. Let's take a look at the matches and how this show could have been improved.

Pre-Show: American Alpha & The Hype Bros VS Ascension & The Vaudevillains
Not even American Alpha could have saved this. Then again, pre-show content is on the pre-show for a reason. Hopefully American Alpha make the actual card next time around.

AJ Styles VS Dean Ambrose VS John Cena [World Heavyweight Championship]
What possessed them to have THIS go first? The World Championship is the top prize on the brand. Making them go first was an insult to everything that professional wrestling stands for. I don't care if they were concerned with what else might be onscreen tonight elsewhere. Whoever made the decision to OPEN the show with the World Championship should be ashamed of themselves! Rants on the card structure aside, the match itself was fun. I like all three guys so any outcome of the match would have been fine with me. AJ retaining makes sense and was the best call.

Carmella VS Nikki Bella
Absolutely awful. Worst match of the night and one of the worst I have seen in several months. How much longer until WWE realizes Nikki can't wrestle and that Carmella sucks?

Heath Slater & Rhyno VS The Usos
This was ok, nothing special. I'm glad that Slater and Rhyno retained, American Alpha should challenge them next and that would be a great match!

Baron Corbin VS Jack Swagger
Better than Nikki VS Carmella but still really boring. No rematches on this one, please. My concern is that WWE will drag it on forever like that Ziggler VS Corbin feud.

Dolph Ziggler VS Miz [Ziggler's Career VS Miz's Intercontinental Championship]
Alright first of all.... If the World Championship doesn't get to main event, then why didn't this? Miz, as much as I dislike the guy, made this match feel like a big deal during the promos building up to it. Even Dolph's emotional promos were good for once. Dolph's win does have me concerned although it likely means Miz is moving on to a feud with Styles. I really do not know how I feel about that. I'll give him this though, this was one of the best matches I have ever seen from The Miz. The antics of Kenny and the other Spirit Squad guy were amusing. I liked Kenny, he should return full-time.

Alexa Bliss VS Naomi
The confusion continued here with this match. Becky not being able to be cleared to compete was a massive shame. Naomi being her replacement would not have been that big of a deal, had she lost the match. Why would Naomi win this? Alexa is the top contender, how about actually making her look like a threat by winning this match? Come on, WWE. You know better than this. Especially your Smackdown team. At one point in this match there was a weird camera angle loop caused by a camera showing the jumbo-tron showing a picture of itself. That was funny.

Randy Orton VS Bray Wyatt
The match was ok, but WHY was this the main event? WHY!? That makes no sense. Like.... at all. Harper's return was cool. Just in time too, with Rowan being out for a while Bray needs an underling. The card placement hurt this more than anything as the match really wasn't bad and I had been wanting to see it due to missing out on it at Backlash.

Overall Thoughts
I've ranted on it already but the card structure really damaged this show. Becky Lynch not being able to compete did it no favors either. I would have had Miz and Dolph go first. You never EVER put the World Championship on first. Miz VS Dolph opening the night would have really gotten everyone excited. Alexa should have won her match to give her momentum going into her eventual title shot against Becky that we missed out on tonight, then I would have put Orton VS Bray on 4th and the triple threat should have closed. AJ Styles retaining would have been a much better ending moment. Fixing the match order and Alexa winning would significantly improve this show. I rank this show pretty low, losing only to Fastlane so far for 2016 PPV events. Looks like Raw could very well have the better PPV for October. We'll find out in a few weeks.

Dagger's 2016 PPV Rankings
1. Money In The Bank 2016
2. Summerslam 2016

3. Backlash 2016
4. Clash Of Champions 2016
5. Wrestlemania 32
6. Battleground 2016
7. Extreme Rules 2016
8. Payback 2016
9. Royal Rumble 2016

10. No Mercy 2016
11. Fastlane 2016

Pre Show: American Alpha and The Hype Bros vs. The Vaudevillains and The Ascension

This served as nothing else but as a way of getting the crowd going. And thankfully it didn't drag on for too long. You could see all the spots coming from a mile off, there were bodies popping around everywhere without the excitement to match it. The quicker Alpha are away from matches like this the better - although a win is a win, and Hypo Bros get another one under their belt too. For the heels, simply more jobbing. Vaudevillians just haven't got over - I think Aiden English is actually quite good and could probably succeed if they repackaged him in a singles role. Anyway, I digress... *1/2

AJ Styles (c) vs. John Cena vs. Dean Ambrose for WWE World Championship

Two things of note here even before the match started, we have the main event kicking off the show and there is a no DQ stipulation. I was cool with it starting, not everyone wants to wait until the end of the show when they're already worn out from the action - i.e. Mania. You had to fast forward all the way to the finish to see why the stipulation was there. The finish wasn't in keeping with the rest of the match - which was excellent. The three guys gelled brilliantly. I wasn't a fan of the false finish either. They would be better off leaving these extra elements out and just let the match do the talking. That said, the result was as expected, AJ coming out on top, and using heel tactics to win just as I expected he would. ***3/4

Nikki Bella vs. Carmella

I thought this a bit messy. Carmella still needs a lot of work, but there is still a lot to like about her, and some of her offense is good. Nikki sold for most of the match but came out on top as expected. Not sure where this feud goes now. They're running out of depth on the women's side already. *3/4

Heath Slater and Rhyno vs. The Usos for the Smackdown Tag Team Titles

I would say this was marginally better than the match they had at Backlash. Slater and Rhyno are over and it would be counterproductive to take away that heat. For a change it was Rhyno that took most of the punishment, and Slater made the big comeback. That powerslam he pulled out from the top turnbuckle was really impressive. This result doesn't work out for the Usos though - it would have made more sense to keep them away from the title picture and have them feud solely with Alpha imo, but I guess the lack of division depth means there are few credible challengers. ***

The Miz with Maryse vs. Dolph Ziggler for the Intercontinental Title: Career vs. Title match

The last time the Intercontinental Title felt genuinely this important was when HBK had to forfeit the belt through injury back in 1995. The whole feud has been phenomenal and this was a perfect payoff. I really thought Miz would win up until mania, but as the match went on I changed my mind. The storytelling was excellent - all the odds stacked against Dolph but his pure desire to remain in the business helping him overcome all of them. I was totally invested in Zolph winning. The match was brilliant - they incorporated elements from their previous two matches. They botched a little on the powerbomb spot but that's really the only criticism. Hopefully this can kickstart Dolph's career. ****3/4

Jack Swagger vs. Baron Corbin

This was a basic continuation from TV, and I believe it only made the card because the Lynch match didn't go ahead? Again, I can only be so invested in a match that has had such a limited back story. Corbin still needs a lot of work, Swagger tried hard to make the match better but it was just TV quality in the end. Corbin does have a lot going for him though. His entrance and finisher are both excellent, and he has charisma. He really needs to work on his ring action and mic skills though. As for Swagger, there is not real change in character at all which is a shame because they had an opportunity for this when he made the move over. **1/4

Alexa Bliss vs. Noami

First thing to note is that Bliss has genuine heat. The crowd want to boo her so badly because she comes across so naturally as a b***h. She's also very good on the mic and just as good in the ring. She's made adjustments and improvements in a very short period of time. I expect big things from her in WWE. As for the match, I'm not sure the loss hurts her too much, it was booked in the sense that Bliss got a bit too cocky and got caught out. I expect a rematch on SD where Bliss goes over. **

Randy Orton vs. Brayy Wyatt

I didn't really concentrate too much during this one and I wasn't too invested in the feud either. The match was okay, nothing special. Imo they've tried to insert too much of the psychology/mind games element, rather than just focusing on them getting in the ring and fighting. I hated the finish - it's too gimmicky. Good win for Bray though, and one he really needed. Randy can lose and people will still love him. **3/4

Conclusion

This was a decent PPV with two excellent matches. If WWE are gonna run PPV's this regularly though, they're really gonna struggle to sell the other matches as anything but a continuation of TV. This felt like an extended version of SD with two title matches. This isn't helped by them giving away title matches on SD in between PPV's. But I guess this is how they are doing things now. All in all, this was good fun, but there is the danger that the dearth of talent will start to show more in the next few months. How they address that I'm not too sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back