Which show was better?

• Smackdown - No Mercy 2016

• Raw - Hell In A Cell 2016

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
The second month of re-branded PPV's has now passed. Smackdown had its No Mercy 2016 event which was exclusive to the blue brand, and today the red brand had its exclusive Hell In A Cell 2016 event. Between these two shows this month we have seen new champions, unusual card placement, the first ever Hell In A Cell match between female competitors, and more. The question is, though.... which brand had the better PPV event this month? Let's look back at both shows.

Smackdown - No Mercy 2016

1. AJ Styles VS Dean Ambrose VS John Cena [Triple Threat for the World Heavyweight Championship]

2. Carmella VS Nikki Bella

3. Heath Slater & Rhyno VS The Usos [Smackdown Tag Team Championship]

4. Baron Corbin VS Jack Swagger

5. Dolph Ziggler VS The Miz (with Maryse) [Miz's Intercontinental Championship against Ziggler's Career]

6. Alexa Bliss VS Naomi

7. Bray Wyatt VS Randy Orton

Raw - Hell In A Cell 2016

1. Roman Reigns VS Rusev [Hell In A Cell match for the United States Championship]

2. Bayley VS Dana Brooke

3. Enzo Amore & Big Cass VS Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson

4. Kevin Owens VS Seth Rollins [Hell In A Cell match for the Universal Championship]

5. TJ Perkins VS Brian Kendrick [Cruiserweight Championship]

6. The New Day VS Cesaro & Sheamus [Raw Tag Team Championship]

7. Sasha Banks VS Charlotte Flair [Hell In A Cell match for the Raw Women's Championship]

Here are the discussion questions for this topic:

Did the red brand or the blue brand have the best event this month, and why?

What was the worst match between these two shows?

What was the best match out of what took place on these two shows?

Please keep the forum rules in mind and do NOT spam.

Discuss! :)

Did the red brand or the blue brand have the best event this month, and why?

What was the worst match between these two shows?

What was the best match out of what took place on these two shows?

SmackDown put on the overall better show. Better in-ring action and a more satisfying card.

SmackDown did put on the worst match out of the two. Although Bayley vs. Dana Brooke was short, boring, and pointless, that still loses to Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt, which was LONG, boring, and pointless. Miz vs. Ziggler should have headlined No Mercy.

Miz vs. Ziggler and Sasha vs. Charlotte tie for best match in my book.

The best match IMO was The Miz vs Dolph Ziggler for the I.C Belt and Zigglers career on the line. The match was great and both guys sold the story being told in the ring.

Other than that....both B level PPVs sucked. This is a prime reason the brand split was a bad idea. SmackDown got a better writing staff and the commentary teams got juggled, that's the only good thing that has come from the draft. We have a big overexposure of PPVs now and the B level brand shows are nothing more than extended regular shows. The added titles with bright reds and blues and purples are fun, but wreck the prestige of The WWE Championship that's now viewed as the second tier world title in WWE, sadly enough.

If I was forced to pick, Hell in a Cell didn't suck as much as No Mercy.

The added titles with bright reds and blues and purples are fun, but wreck the prestige of The WWE Championship that's now viewed as the second tier world title in WWE, sadly enough.

Other than that one guy on these forums, is there anyone dumb enough that they view the Universal Championship as being the primary title? Kevin Owens is holding the little league title. AJ Styles has the more prestigious and top tier championship. Anyone with even a single brain cell knows that.

PPV wise, I've gotta go with Raw this month, HIAC gets a nice boost from it being a gimmick PPV, and trying to force history with the women (The match was a letdown for numerous reasons, the injury angle and running the whole match with Sasha being a lame duck)

Smackdown's Bray vs Randy Main event ending with Loo Carper's return, felt like something you'd see on Smackdown, not on a PPV event, and it really was a lousy close to the show. and I'm even a fan of Luke's.

Smackdowns World title match vs Raw's, I'm barely giving the edge to Smackdown, I think Dean put on another world class match, AJ is always great, and Cena filled in the gaps, making it a fabulous match, while KO vs Seth was a B+ Match.

Minor title, Miz vs Dolph and Roman vs Russev, No contest, Roman laying down for 80% of the match then superman punch/spear for a 123 like usual, just awful pacing and storytelling because they want him to win so big, meanwhile, Dolph and Miz was one of the best told stories, and was another classic. the only thing that hurts miz/dolph is the fact it's the 50th time they've wrestling this year, and showing the stupid KFC commercial RIGHT BEFORE THIS was ridiculous.

Tag Titles, Draw. I think both the tag matches were average to boring.

Fillers; Alexa vs Naomi was kind of meh, Naomi getting the win as a surprise was neat at first, but makes so much less sense in the long run, Nikki vs Carmella is a really good feud to get Carmella started on her main run, and it's showing she can work heel fabulously (pun intended?).

The ending to a pay per view is really important to me, as I want to feel satisfied when I turn off my Playstation, No Mercy didn't satisfy me at all, I sort of wish I only watched the opener and the rest of the card felt like a waste of time to me. HIAC felt like it was a solid card from the 2nd match on.

It's an interesting shift to me, that WWE has experimented with the World Titles being opening and midcard fights, while letting random returns and the women cap off their respective ppvs, I don't agree with it opening, I did agree with the Women going last tonight though.

Best match of both events, Dean Vs Aj vs Cena.
Worst match of the main events, Roman vs Russev (Reasons listed earlier)

I think Smackdown had the best 2 matches, but RAW wins on the overall card.

Other than that one guy on these forums, is there anyone dumb enough that they view the Universal Championship as being the primary title? Kevin Owens is holding the little league title. AJ Styles has the more prestigious and top tier championship. Anyone with even a single brain cell knows that.

Tell that to WWE creative who are writing the title as more important in every single promo going. Pay more attention. I don't view it that way, the writers do.

Both No Mercy and Hell in a Cell looked B+...But i would give it to the Smack Down team bcoz of the better story lines..Also Smack Down has the three most popular and the fan favorite wrestlers in the whole roster who are John Cena, Dean Ambrose and AJ Styles...
Also MIZ is doing the best work of his entire career with ziggler..And Smack Down is the home of the the richest price in Wrestling Industry, the WWE World Championship that too lies on the shoulders of the best wrestler in the industry AJ Styles which makes it grand..

Talking about RAW, its lacking something that i dont know..Hell in a Cell was ok..Goldberg's return has given some boost to RAW..
Most of the matches at Hell in a Cell looked sluggish and everything looked out of space and order..The problem is Raw actually has no superstar that actually connects with the crowd other than maybe Jericho..Jercho is still doing an amazing job and his presence made the Universal title match less boring at HIAC..
The women's match was ok but nothing outstanding to mention in that too..Bayley and Dana match went through a snooze party..New day as always won which should end and
the Cruiser Weights that everybody wanted back on RAW has gone stale and looks utter crap..and thank god they gave The Club victory this time. I think only a Bullet Club storyline can save RAW from this decline...RAW needs strong story-lines and better aggression..

Shield vs Bullet Club needs to happen.

Raw had the better event overall this month. The best match in terms of quality was Miz VS Ziggler, as much as I hate to admit it. They did a fantastic job with that story despite how much I dislike Miz and how tired I am of Ziggler. A close second would be Charlotte VS Sasha, more for the historical aspect but I still really enjoyed the match. The worst match was Carmella VS Nikki. 100% garbage and a waste of everyone's time. Raw got their card placement correct while Smackdown completely got theirs backwards. Becky not being able to defend her belt did them no favors either. Raw wins this month by a large margin for me.

No Mercy entertained me more than Hell in a Cell, and I was AT Hell in a Cell. Smackdown's Main Event trio of Wyatt/Orton, Ziggler/Miz, and AJ/Cena/Dean was more entertaining for me than Raw's.

Tell that to WWE creative who are writing the title as more important in every single promo going. Pay more attention. I don't view it that way, the writers do.

What the writers script into promos is completely irrelevant. They can have Vince McMahon stand in the ring and announce that the Universal Championship is the top prize in wrestling, and it doesn't matter. Anyone with a brain understand that it's not. It took years for the World Heavyweight Championship to even be considered comparable in prestige to the WWE Championship, and it never equalled it. Right now the Universal Championship ranks far below the US and IC titles in terms of importance. It barely beats the new Cruiserweight Championship. Maybe in ten years they'll have an argument, but right now, calling Kevin Owens the top champion in the company is completely and laughably false.

I'm pretty sure in a few weeks, Charlotte-Sasha and Miz- Ziggler will be the only matches even thought of. Those were both good and memorable. There were a few other good mtches. But overall these PPVs show why the brand split won't cut it. Too many Souped up Raws/Smackdowns called PPVs.

For me, I have to go with Raw as HIAC felt like and came across like a much bigger and more memorable show than No Mercy.

As for the best match...hmmmm, I'm torn between either the triple threat WWE World Championship match or the Intercontinental Championship match at No Mercy. If push comes to shove, I give the nod to the World Championship match because I was about 95% certain that Dolph Ziggler's career was never in any danger.

As for the worst match, I thought that was Alexa Bliss vs. Naomi. While Bayley vs. Dana Brooke was no picnic, Alexa vs. Naomi was just flat out lousy. There was just zero chemistry between them and I also wish they'd let Alexa Bliss show a bit more of what she's capable of inside the ring; I like where they're going with her as a heel character, but she can do a lot more than the dirt basics we see from her in almost every match.

On paper, Raw's match card beats Smackdown's match card easily.

But still I would consider Smackdown as the better brand. We should take whole month in consideration and that's where Smackdown wins easily.

Heath Slater who was a jobber is relevant enough to be a champion. AJ Styles is much more strongly booked as the ultimate champion in comparison to Kevin Owens.

Same goes with Ziggler/Miz and Reigns/Rusev. Ziggler/Miz was made interesting by a damn good booking and storytelling.

So Smackdown easily for me.

EDIT- As for best match, the title Triple Threat match and Ziggler/Miz match are on the top. And for the worst, Bayley/Dana Brooke.

ShinChan™;5602107 said:
We should take whole month in consideration and that's where Smackdown wins easily.

No, that's not what this thread is about. It literally is about only two shows, Hell In A Cell and No Mercy. While Smackdown may be the better brand and has had better television every single week since the brand split returned, the blue brand was missing an important match (not their fault, but it still happened) and the card placement was extremely stupid. Raw did neither and provided the better show between those two this thread asks about despite how the Raw episodes in October went compared to the Smackdown episodes. Please keep the actual thread subject matter in mind.

No, that's not what this thread is about. It literally is about only two shows, Hell In A Cell and No Mercy. While Smackdown may be the better brand and has had better television every single week since the brand split returned, the blue brand was missing an important match (not their fault, but it still happened) and the card placement was extremely stupid. Raw did neither and provided the better show between those two this thread asks about despite how the Raw episodes in October went compared to the Smackdown episodes. Please keep the actual thread subject matter in mind.
Oh sorry. I thought that the title consisting October meant that we have to take full month in consideration.

Still I would prefer Smackdown over Raw in October at least. The build to the PPV + the PPV was way better for Smackdown than Raw.

I agree to disagree with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back