• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Kofi Kingston another Shelton Benjamin waiting to happen?

SSJPhenom

The Phenom of WZ
We all know that when Shelton Benjamin got drafted to Raw in the first draft, he was givin a major push and was starting to get over big time. He was the most athletic guy on Raw and he had the best matches on Raw for a long time. He was finally recognized and givin the IC Championship. I thought for awhile, "Man, he is going to be champ someday." Then WWE brought in his mama and ruined the rest of his career.

Kofi Kingston is very similar to Shelton Benjamin. Great athleticism and he is having really good matches on Raw. He has the U.S. Championship and he is getting over big time.

So what I want to know from you all that post. Will he be just like Shelton Benjamin, or can you see Kofi Kingston making it to Main Event status?

Personally I don't see Kofi as a main eventer, and that's ok. Just because someone does not make it to the main event does not mean he can't be successful. WWE needs midcarders too. I don't think there is anything wrong with being a career mid card guy. Take a look at some mid card guys from back in the day. For example: Hercules, Dino Bravo, and Jim Duggan. None of these guys ever hit the main event, but they were always around. They had mid card feuds and mid card storylines. They were always on tv and always on ppv. They weren't the most successful guys, but they had nice careers for themselves. As long as Kofi's not buried and thrown in dark matches he'll be ok. After all he is US champion. I know that may not carry the prestige it once did, but it's something. While I don't see him as a main eventer, you never know. He's only been around a year and a half. He has a lot of time ahead of him.

l_8f24d7979d36455b810b96137700f7e1.jpg

How is the most over point of a mans career ruining his character? Seriously can you explain that one? After this he had no character and deserved to languish in the midcard (NB I think he's improved a lot in recent weeks).

Kofi I think is a different kettle of fish, whilst he's US champion he actually defends it, you've had the four way feud, you've had the six pack challenge, the mini feud with Show and now Miz wants the belt. It's all building up the midcard once again and who's at the forefront? Kofi Kingston, he's very over and actually isn't lazy.

I don't think that Kofi is anywhere near benjamin. Why because he actually doesn't botch every other move... Which is great!

But really, Kofi and Shelton really aren't on the same level. When Shelton was given his push he really didn't do anything with. While Kofi has. He's at the center of the midcard on raw bringing up that division. He had a some good matches with both Mvp and Show, and maybe is going to be entering into a feud with the Miz over the belt which would be really good imo.

Reactions: Lee
How is the most over point of a mans career ruining his character? Seriously can you explain that one? After this he had no character and deserved to languish in the midcard (NB I think he's improved a lot in recent weeks).

You answered it yourself. You said that after it was over he had no character. Bringing in his mama ruined his career because of where it left him. He was much better before his mama came into the picture and he was much more entertaining to watch. His mama left him nowhere and he is never going to enjoy that success again, although, I wished WWE would try to do something with him. I enjoy watch Shelton Benjamin.

You answered it yourself. You said that after it was over he had no character. Bringing in his mama ruined his career because of where it left him. He was much better before his mama came into the picture and he was much more entertaining to watch. His mama left him nowhere and he is never going to enjoy that success again, although, I wished WWE would try to do something with him. I enjoy watch Shelton Benjamin.

The point was he had no character BEFORE hanf either, the WWE have tried stack loads with him;

WGTT mark one
IC reign one
HBK feud
HHH feud
Cena/RVD mini feud
WGTT mark two
ECW
Us champ

How many more chances does a guy need?

But this thread is about Kofi, not Benjamin so lets stick on track. Look at it, Kofi has just been feuding with Big Show, the guy who is getting a massive push as one half of the tag team champions. Next he'll be feuding with the Miz, the guy who has been pushed by feuding with Cena. That is big, lets see if he can run with that and cement his place as an uppermid carder and maybe make that step to ME status in a few years time.

had a great idea, i think that shelton benjamin should team up with goldust i mean the gold standerd and goldust would be awsome and could ad to the non existint tag team dept. as far as kofi goes he should go feud with cm junk whats up with that guy says he's never got high but has a pepsi logo tattoed on his arm? kofi is def a refer head

I don't think that Kofi is anywhere near benjamin. Why because he actually doesn't botch every other move... Which is great!

I don't recall Benjamin botching alot of spots and if I'm wrong, please provide evidence to the contrary.

But really, Kofi and Shelton really aren't on the same level. When Shelton was given his push he really didn't do anything with. While Kofi has. He's at the center of the midcard on raw bringing up that division. He had a some good matches with both Mvp and Show, and maybe is going to be entering into a feud with the Miz over the belt which would be really good imo.

I have to disagree. Right now, Kofi is on the same level that Benjamin was on when he was IC champion for the first time. He was looking very good and having the best matches on the card alot of times. He was at the top of the mid card aswell, but you didn't answer my question. Do you see Kofi going on to bigger and better things or do you think that WWE will hold him back like they do Shelton Benjamin?

I think that Kofi has a better chance to go to the top because Shelton had attitude/backstage heat problems. This is why Shelter was thrown back. Kofi in the other hand looks like he doesn't have any problems backstage. He doesn't have mic skills either but attitude backstage is going to bring him to higher grounds in the WWE.

Reactions: Lee
I don't recall Benjamin botching alot of spots and if I'm wrong, please provide evidence to the contrary.

rigqccyqrhu2d4qcl0sv.jpg

I have to disagree. Right now, Kofi is on the same level that Benjamin was on when he was IC champion for the first time. He was looking very good and having the best matches on the card alot of times. He was at the top of the mid card aswell, but you didn't answer my question. Do you see Kofi going on to bigger and better things or do you think that WWE will hold him back like they do Shelton Benjamin

But the thing is Benjamin was at the top then with his wrestling the best it had been by wrestling HBK/HHH/RVD/Cena...it's hard to imagine anyone wrestling them and looking bad. Kofi has the same heights as that by wrestling people like matt, regal, MVP, Swagger, Big Show and the Miz. I'm more impressed by someone looking good wrestling the second list that the first.

Look at lee's post....

I have to disagree. Right now, Kofi is on the same level that Benjamin was on when he was IC champion for the first time. He was looking very good and having the best matches on the card alot of times. He was at the top of the mid card aswell, but you didn't answer my question. Do you see Kofi going on to bigger and better things or do you think that WWE will hold him back like they do Shelton Benjamin?

Nope Kofi is higher, as lee said, Kofi isn't working with main event guys. He's not being carried to a great match every night like Benjamin. Kofi is carry matches, not only that he's carrying match with guys that are less talented then the men you listed.

Now to your question. It's hard to say at this point. Kofi has a lot going for him. The only thing that's going to be against him is his size, but jericho did so I don't see why not. On top of that he just had some matches with Show so who knows. The future looks very bright for Kofi though.

Look at lee's post....

Fair enough. People make mistakes, if you want, I can find examples of everyone botching a spot or two.

Nope Kofi is higher, as lee said, Kofi isn't working with main event guys. He's not being carried to a great match every night like Benjamin. Kofi is carry matches, not only that he's carrying match with guys that are less talented then the men you listed.

Yea, it can be argued that Shelton was involved with the top guys, but that was to push him. If you ask me who I think the better wrestler of the two is though, I would still say it is Shelton. Kofi needs to be involved with some of the top guys to see if he can make it to the ME status.

Now to your question. It's hard to say at this point. Kofi has a lot going for him. The only thing that's going to be against him is his size, but jericho did so I don't see why not. On top of that he just had some matches with Show so who knows. The future looks very bright for Kofi though.

My point is, though, Benjamin had alot going for him at first aswell and he looked outstanding for awhile, but then went to shit. I just don't want to see Kofi go in that direction. I hope WWE doesn't make the same mistake.

do you think that WWE will hold him back like they do Shelton Benjamin?

The WWE doesn't hold Benjamin back, Benjamin holds Benjamin back.

He's had that many opportunities to advance in his career but has failed on most occasions.

Anyways onto topic. Kofi won't ever be a main eventer for the simple reason he just doesn't have the caliber to be a main eventer. He's a great mid carder but can you honestly see him feuding with someone like HHH or Undertaker, or Cena or Orton? I can't, he'll be a great mid card guy but nothing else.

Yes - and it's terrible that Shelton doesn't want to expand his career further. He certainly has the talent to do so - he could do great things on ECW. He could have some solid ECW title matches. I think the Gold Standard gimmick is excellent for him.

Kofi though - wow this guy has been impressing me. I'm digging his run in the midcard and he should stay there for alittle longer - a feud with Jericho & Show would be great for him. He's had beef with both of them in the past - I noted in a earlier thread that Mark Henry would be a good partner for him (since he's face at the moment ugh)
big/small guy tag-team. Come on you can see it - they'd work an amazing match for the tag titles.

Shelton did good with his push, he didn't say much, his moves were just amazing. Raw needs a strong heel, and he would of been good for that. So no, Shelton needs that push again. At least an ECW title reign. Kobi is okay and works the crowd good, but haven't heard him do a promo.

He was the most athletic guy on Raw and he had the best matches on Raw for a long time.

Says who? Benjamin came on like a bolt of lightning. He was shiny and bright for a few months, then gone in a flash.

He wasn't the most athletic guy on Raw, he was the brightest new "spot worker" they had on Raw. As for best matches, I fail to see where any of his awards are for match of the year as well. So those are wrong statements to make.

He was finally recognized and givin the IC Championship.

Lack of options is more like it.

I thought for awhile, "Man, he is going to be champ someday." Then WWE brought in his mama and ruined the rest of his career.

So, how long is your "for awhile" because he won the Championship in 2004, and his Mama came in in 2006. Thats a two year period in which he was basically ignored then?

Kofi Kingston is very similar to Shelton Benjamin.

If by they're both black, that makes them very similar, then absolutely. But outside of that, I can't see a huge connection. Kingston has talent and charisma, Benjamin has mediocre talent and no charisma.

Great athleticism and he is having really good matches on Raw. He has the U.S. Championship and he is getting over big time.

Thats the difference between Kingston & Benjamin. Kingston is getting over when he's taking on the Main Event opponents like Jericho & Big Show. Whereas Benjamin was cheered when he feuded with Triple H, but no one ever felt he deserved to be in the same ring.

And he was bumped down and out of feuding with Main Eventers, to feuding with people like Maven.

Kingston, on the other hand, is staying solid in the mid-card and waiting for his time to move up.

So what I want to know from you all that post. Will he be just like Shelton Benjamin, or can you see Kofi Kingston making it to Main Event status?

No. Simply put.

Kofi Kingston has charisma and Benjamin does not. Kingston gets a rise out of the fans, and people get behind him. I'm not saying Benjamin isn't entertaining to a degree, but Kingston can do everything Benjamin can do, and then some.

Kingston has put on some purely stellar matches against Chris Jericho, Big Show and Edge. Benjamin botches 1-3 moves per match. You don't push individuals who're going to be a risk to your other employees.

To answer the question, Yes Kofi will be just like Shelton.
He will always be one of those people that people are waiting to see break out, but it just wont happen because they just arent good enough.

I was always one to think Kofi was never gonna reach ME status. That is until I started seeing how over he is right now. The biggest difference between Kofi and Shelton is that Kofi is getting over on his own merit. He isn't dependant on a over the top mouthpiece, they don't have to put him up against Triple H just so the fans are entirely sure they're supposed to cheer for him. He is getting over the way some of the true draws in this business get over. Like Jeff Hardy. He is exciting in the ring and knows how to connect with the crowd. Shelton has his moments, but for the most part, he is a wet blanket. Kofi is already more over than Shelton ever was, and did it in a fraction of the time.

I agree with NateDaMac on this one. Kofi is pretty much a Shelton as he will probably never get into the main event as a full-time player with the current gimmick he has. However, considering he is on the entertainment brand RAW where the kids are being focused on to watch... he seems to be gettin very serious pops from the crowd which is interesting. He also has more of a drive than Benjamin has with the business, as he isn't just content with his roll as being what the business needs instead of elavting himself & connecting with the crowd. Kofi's initial start got him a crowd connection, by himself on ECW of all places. Shelton got recognition when others helped him on RAW & SmackDown.

Kofi is in a good enough position to not become another Shelton & wither away down the ranks due to a lack of determination & inability to a crowd reaction by himself. Kofi will do fine in the midcard area & should stay there for a while with the title to help elevate himself & the championship.

man there are some real shitheads who dont know wat there talkin about it, alright listen, kofi is in the same spot as shelton was back in 04 right? shelton was over for awhile, had the best matches, and yes he was the most athletic guy, whoever said he wasnt has their head so far up their ass it aint even funny. whos more athletic, triple h? cmon dude. after shelton loses the ic title in 05 to carlito, thats when things go bad. hes left in the background with nothing. he goes on a losing streak, brings in momma, then the rest is a blur until he goes to ecw, then smackdown, holds the us title for eternity, then back to ecw. okay kofi is in the same spot whether some of you believe it or not. its almost like shelton benjamin 2. its sort of a redo, to see if someone with limited mic skills, and great athleticism can get over eventually. kofi has some going for him not alot. yea he's the champ, but he hasnt really fought anybody. shelton had great matches with main eventers and others guys back then too, but nobody cares now right? kofi i will admit has a better name, gimmick if could call it that, and look than shelton, so that might help get more world title shots in the future, we'll just see how it goes. kofi gets the pops jus like shelton did when he first came on to the scene. but then once shelton faded in 05, i remember bein at an event and i was the only one standing lol, so... i think kofi will be more popular cuz of his boom boom

I don't think Kofi is another Shelton just because Shelton was mainly over as the WGTT and only whe he first started on Raw he was over. Kofi has been over as a singles guy from the start and also has more energy then Shelton was.

Darbare, there is a button on your keyboard that says Cap Locks. Does it work? Now I'm not gonna waste my time sarcastically disecting your ignorance, I just have a couple points to make here. What you are failing to realize is that Kofi is getting over on his own merit. Shelton has been paired up with his Momma, and even placed in a feud with Triple fucking H, yet still, nobody gives a flying dog turd about him. Kofi hasn't even really been placed in many programs to speak of, but his exciting ring work and his undeniable ability to connect with the crowd has gotten him major pops. Sure Shelton is athletic, but it doesn't mean shit if the crowd doesn't care. Now you say Kofi hasn't really beat anybody. The only mid carder that comes to mind that he hasn't beat is Evan Bourne. He has 5 successful title defenses. One was a DQ, the others were clean pinfalls. I'll admit, I gave started to come around to Bunjamin as of late, but for some reason, most of his fans just put me off. Kofi>Benjamin.

Kofi is definately not another Benjamin, are you kidding me?

Benjamin has absolutely no charisma, no personality and his mic skills are awful. He couldn't get over from being associated with Angle, beating Triple H 3 times, having TV match of the year with HBK, doing crazy spots in MitB and having both major midcard titles.
If you don't get over after all that, there's something seriously wrong with you.

Kofi, on the other hand, became super-over from being on ECW, wrestling jobbers and midcarders. He has crazy amounts of charisma, and he's not a glorfied spot monkey. WWE aren't giving up on him, as shown by his great US title run.

Shelton started off his career huge, went on a downward spiral and is now the 3rd or 4th biggest star on ECW. Kofi's career has been the exact opposite. Started on ECW, became pretty big and now his career just keeps getting better and better.

They're complete opposites and you cannot justify comparing them.

Kofi probably won't hit the main event but he'll for sure rule the mid card and that's fine. I can live with him being a 10x tag champ and 12x mid card single title champ. He's more enjoyable and fun to watch. I like Shelton too but this guy has tons of talent and can entertain. Great mid carder for years to come!

There's a major difference between Kofi and Benjamin:

Kofi has charisma.

He has somehow become insanely over with barely any mic time, and when he has had mic time, he has been extremely good. Kofi is a solid worker, has charisma and a good look, and is extremely exciting in the ring. I don't want to say he's the total package, but he's getting there. Even if he doesn't make it to ME status, he can still be upper midcard and possibly feud for the big belt. Kofi has had feuds with upper midcarders and came off as champ. I never expected him to retain at NOC. He has proven himself time and time again, and the company has rewarded him. I believe he will remain upper midcard for his career, and that's not a bad thing. Maybe he'll have a small WWE or WHC reign, but I believe he will remain a very valuable asset to the midcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back