• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How is WWE racist?

This time it's being brought up because of an alleged racial comment?

Rock, Henry, Booker T., Tony Atlas, Rocky Johnson, Ahmed Johnson, Big E., Ezekiel Jackson, Alberto Del Rio, Rey Mysterio, and I think you get the point.

It's very convenient how people seem to forget how many non-caucasian wrestlers have received major pushes over the years. This idea is brought up time after time after time and it's little more than speculation or conspiracy theories every time. There's a long list of black and Hispanic wrestlers with success in WWE history. Quit acting like all of them eat watermelon and sell tacos on the corner.

Major pushes and being the face of the WWE is different. Is it that there hasn't been a charismatic non-Caucasian wrestler in all of those years? Is it that there's always been a Caucasian that was simply better than the non-Caucasian in terms of overall skill and marketability?

Until there's a clear cut case of this, I can't paint the WWE as a racist company. Sure some of their stereotypes toe the line (Los Matadores, Nation of Domination, etc), but I wouldn't go as far as saying the company's blatantly prejudice against blacks, Asians, etc.

Major pushes and being the face of the WWE is different. Is it that there hasn't been a charismatic non-Caucasian wrestler in all of those years? Is it that there's always been a Caucasian that was simply better than the non-Caucasian in terms of overall skill and marketability?

Until there's a clear cut case of this, I can't paint the WWE as a racist company. Sure some of their stereotypes toe the line (Los Matadores, Nation of Domination, etc), but I wouldn't go as far as saying the company's blatantly prejudice against blacks, Asians, etc.

Well considering how few faces of the WWE there have been (Sammartino, Backlund, Hogan, Austin, HHH, Cena), it really isn't that big of a deal. It's a very small list of people and I have an issue calling WWE racist because they've all been white. Back in the early 80s, Snuka was going to be the Hulk Hogan guy but then Hulk Hogan was available. That's not saying WWE is anti-Samoan. It's saying they're pro making a fortune with Hogan.

Well considering how few faces of the WWE there have been (Sammartino, Backlund, Hogan, Austin, HHH, Cena), it really isn't that big of a deal. It's a very small list of people and I have an issue calling WWE racist because they've all been white. Back in the early 80s, Snuka was going to be the Hulk Hogan guy but then Hulk Hogan was available. That's not saying WWE is anti-Samoan. It's saying they're pro making a fortune with Hogan.

One can argue that The Rock was joint face of WWE with Austin. I mean when Austin was injured/not around, Rock was the one picking up the majority of the slack.

Regardless of whether you think Rock was joint face or simply #2 in the company the fact that he was where he was at shows the WWE isn't racist. They simply care about who/what is popular and they will try to capitalise on it.

You know I read the responses in this thread and have come to the realization that the whole lot of you are fucking idiots. If your whole stance to refute the racism claim is, "well if they are racist, they wouldn't have made such and such champion" you're a fucking clown. Seriously, that's your defense? They made a guy like Del Rio champion because it was good for business when they went into the Latino markets. Everybody wants to talk about Mark Henry being champion, but I notice most of you conviently left out the fact that it was a racist incident backstage with Michael Hayes that led to Henry getting the belt. Or better yet the fact that they were openly calling Mark Henry a gorilla with that Silverback nonsense until Mark told them he wasn't cool with.

And then just take a look at some of their past gimmicks that play on racial stereotypes. The Reverend Slick, Cryme Tyme........Saba Simba.

Seriously, I am so sick of the white guys on these forums and in general,that the moment race comes up, instead of looking at it objectively it's "oh, there is no basis for it." Oh they're just playing the race card." "Oh I don't see the problem." Of course you don't see the fucking problem, it's not fucking happening to you.

And to that one idiot who made the statement "well the majority of the crowd is white, why shouldn't they make someone who looks like the crowd the champion. That has to be one of the most ignorant,ass backwards, bigoted statements I've ever seen in my life.

Well, friend, that's because you are stupid. The WWE is about making money, and that's the bottom line. I'm sorry the championship isn't EOE like Burger King or the White House. Deal with it. Only black people complain about racism. Everyone else lives their life, works hard and rises to the top.

Well, friend, that's because you are stupid. The WWE is about making money, and that's the bottom line. I'm sorry the championship isn't EOE like Burger King or the White House. Deal with it. Only black people complain about racism. Everyone else lives their life, works hard and rises to the top.

Wooooooooow, now THAT's racist

Seriously? There's circumstantial evidence that wwe may be racist. That isn't one of them. Not supporting Barry doesn't make you racist.

Who the fuck is Barry? It's Barack you bastard! You see you just proved my point in making this thread. Racism still exist even in the world of pro wrestling. You must be one of those redneck wrestling fans who comes to a live event chating U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A! RoyalRoadBunkWeed get a life racist!

Well I do agree with you saying the WWE is all about the money but the rest of what you typed is trash, believe that. You know what type of trash I'm talking about but if not allow me to paint the picture for you. When the majority loses the benefit of privilege and blames it on racial oppression, is it really a racial issue or just a case of everyone being just a little more equal? Last time I checked poverty stricken and ignorant members of our society come in all colors not just 1. WE THE PEOPLE!

Well I do agree with you saying the WWE is all about the money but the rest of what you typed is trash, believe that. You know what type of trash I'm talking about but if not allow me to paint the picture for you. When the majority loses the benefit of privilege and blames it on racial oppression, is it really a racial issue or just a case of everyone being just a little more equal? Last time I checked poverty stricken and ignorant members of our society come in all colors not just 1. WE THE PEOPLE!

Why is it trash? When is the last time you saw or heard asians complaining about race? Mexicans? Anybody else? If it's true, it's true.

Who the fuck is Barry? It's Barack you bastard! You see you just proved my point in making this thread. Racism still exist even in the world of pro wrestling. You must be one of those redneck wrestling fans who comes to a live event chating U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A! RoyalRoadBunkWeed get a life racist!

Ultimate derp. His name is Barry, and it's not racist to call him that.

Ultimate derp. His name is Barry, and it's not racist to call him that. It is, however, racist to cry "racist" all the time. Grow up. Life is hard for all, not just black people.

I would argue Bret Hart was the face of the company after Hogan and before Austin.

HHH was never the face of the company.

And The Rock surpassed Austin as the face in 2000.

Ultimate derp. His name is Barry, and it's not racist to call him that. It is, however, racist to cry "racist" all the time. Grow up. Life is hard for all, not just black people.

You sound like the slave master from the movie "Roots" who whipped Kunta Kinte telling him that his name was Toby opposed to Kunta. I know the president of the U.S.A. as Barack Obama. That's his name! So you grow up and get with the program you ass!

His name is President Obama and it's not about racism but a lack of respect. Besides.. how can you be racist towards a man with mixed heritage?

We didn't call Kennedy John
We didn't call either Bush George
We don't refer to any president by their first name and haven't except the last what.. 6 years..

Why is it trash? When is the last time you saw or heard asians complaining about race? Mexicans? Anybody else? If it's true, it's true.

Well, I'm fairly certain Mexican Americans would greatly benefit from a bump up the totem pole outside of California. Asians typically enjoy the privilege previously enjoyed by others by virtue of skin color simply by buying their way into high society. However this isn't about poor imigrants, this is supposed to be about the WWE and the lack of representation in the title picture over the last what...52 years. The fact that the conversation has boiled down to this pretty much answers the question that was already answered by decades of previous programming.

I've heard these rumors literally hundreds of times by now. Although I can't confirm if WWE is in fact racist and although I've seen a ton of angles/characters that were fairly racily charged I never got the feeling that WWE was in fact racist. Now I've often heard these allegations from African Americans more than anyone else (often using the lack of Black WWE champions as their go to evidence) and every time I hear this say the same thing: Name me one black superstar who was truly DESERVING of a world title run that didn't get one. None of them have yet to give me a good answer.

When you look at the facts there were many African American wrestlers who got heavily pushed in the WWE and in the cases of Ahmed Johnson and Bobby Lashley they were both pushed as if they were being groomed to be the top guy in WWE down the road. Vince obviously loved Lashley considering not only Lashley's push but all the attention he got while feuding with Vince. The fact is Vince won't have a long feud with just anyone and since Lashley did get a long feud with Vince (followed by a WWE title match against Cena) he was obviously being primed to be John Cena's successor. Another one I hear is with Booker T and HHH at Wrestlemania 19. I'll be the 1st to admit I feel Booker should have won the title that night without question but then again the same thing happened with RVD at a time he was the most popular wrestler in WWE (even being ranked #1 by PWI that year) so I doubt racism had anything to do with that. Besides, Booker T did get the World title a few years later, Henry got the title a while after Booker did so WWE can't be that racist.

I've heard Konnan say WWE was racist against Latino's. I guess that's why Del Rio got pushed much harder than he deserved and Sin Cara got brought in with more hype than anyone in years. Eddie Guerrero and Rey are technically American but both have huge ties with the Latino population and both men became World Champion.

Although WWE has made some DUMB decisions in the past, although there have been numerous racially charged things WWE has done (Saba Simba for example) they don't seem to hold people down based on their race. If there is one thing Vince loves more than pushing a certain race or nationality its most certainly money and Vince isn't throwing away a ton of money just so he can keep a white guy on top. Just ask The Rock.

I can answer your question very easily deanerandterry 5 times in fact. Booker T, Booker T, Booker T, Booker T, Booker T.

Like him, hate him or anything else in between but as many times as he held the WCW world heavyweight title, that was the plateau of his career. Now mind you, being the WHC at that time wasn't the same as when people like Swagger, Mysterio and Khali held it, but look at the list of people who were WHC that never held the WWE Championship. The crossover of minorites of latin or african american decent to the WWE title is damn near non existant. You will not find that same disparity in the histories of any mid card title or the tag titles, quite the opposite actually.

It may be purely coincidence that any champion of undisputed African American decent (yes I'm talking specifically about ignoring the rock to simplify things) in the last 20 years has never held the one title that truely matters. There are many reasons and I understand all the logistics of being the face of the company.. but if there was 1 person doesn't fit that mold.. 1 person who had all the tools, the fans and charisma to hold that belt during his run.. it was Booker. The one other person I can site would be Mark Henry, but his late career reinvention and injury status are likely to blame more than anything else honestly speaking. Unfortunately

His name is Barack. What's the problem? Is that too ethnic for you?

In his yearbook from high school, he went by Barry Obama. Is he commonly called Barry now? No. It doesn't mean hasn't been known by that name before.

You sound like the slave master from the movie "Roots" who whipped Kunta Kinte telling him that his name was Toby opposed to Kunta. I know the president of the U.S.A. as Barack Obama. That's his name! So you grow up and get with the program you ass!

Dude... I used to moderate the forums here, and you're toeing the line of flaming with your last couple of posts. Not playing mod, I'm just giving you friendly advice to tone down with the name calling before you're given an infraction. And also stay on the topic at hand, which is whether the WWE is racist, not if our President goes by a certain name.

As far as driving discussion about this subject even more, what are the thoughts on the actual characters given to certain ethnic wrestlers? Do any of you see those characters as racist or insensitive?

I can answer your question very easily deanerandterry 5 times in fact. Booker T, Booker T, Booker T, Booker T, Booker T.

Like him, hate him or anything else in between but as many times as he held the WCW world heavyweight title, that was the plateau of his career. Now mind you, being the WHC at that time wasn't the same as when people like Swagger, Mysterio and Khali held it, but look at the list of people who were WHC that never held the WWE Championship. The crossover of minorites of latin or african american decent to the WWE title is damn near non existant. You will not find that same disparity in the histories of any mid card title or the tag titles, quite the opposite actually.

It may be purely coincidence that any champion of undisputed African American decent (yes I'm talking specifically about ignoring the rock to simplify things) in the last 20 years has never held the one title that truely matters. There are many reasons and I understand all the logistics of being the face of the company.. but if there was 1 person doesn't fit that mold.. 1 person who had all the tools, the fans and charisma to hold that belt during his run.. it was Booker. The one other person I can site would be Mark Henry, but his late career reinvention and injury status are likely to blame more than anything else honestly speaking. Unfortunately

I agree Booker had the tools to hold the belt during a certain time but then again there were a lot of guys that could say the same thing. I always felt that RVD was a better candidate to be the top guy on Raw during some of those Triple H years, not saying Booker wasn't either but there were candidates (Caucasian candidates I might add) that were just as justified to have a belt run that didn't. Realistically the only time Booker was over enough to justify a title reign was in '03 and he was just one of many who were overlooked during that time so the masses could watch classic feuds like HHH vs. Kevin Nash or HHH vs. Goldberg *rolls eyes*.

It's not that I don't agree Booker T shouldn't have been champ during that time, he probably should have but he was far from the only one at that time. It's damn near impossible to call racism as being a factor when very few people during the Evolution era of Raw actually got a legit shot to be a main eventer. If we are really going to use that as an example I would say either Brock, Kurt or Benoit should have been at the top of the flagship show during that time as all 3 had a better claim to that spot than anyone on Raw during that time.

In his yearbook from high school, he went by Barry Obama. Is he commonly called Barry now? No. It doesn't mean hasn't been known by that name before.

Dude... I used to moderate the forums here, and you're toeing the line of flaming with your last couple of posts. Not playing mod, I'm just giving you friendly advice to tone down with the name calling before you're given an infraction. And also stay on the topic at hand, which is whether the WWE is racist, not if our President goes by a certain name.

As far as driving discussion about this subject even more, what are the thoughts on the actual characters given to certain ethnic wrestlers? Do any of you see those characters as racist or insensitive?

You didn't go to high school with him. Nobody here knows him like that. To y'all, he's Barack.

So again, what's wrong with Barack? Too ethnic for some of y'all?

After reading through replies on this thread it seems we have a clear divide. White Americans don't think WWE is racist, but minority Americans do. This speaks to the divide that has been brewing in the nation for the last 6-8 years.

Minority posters have continually cited the "stereotypical" nature of minority wrestlers gimmicks to prove their point, but they have conveniently forgotten that most white wrestlers have even more stereotypical gimmicks. Take for example the redneck that does nothing but drink beer and fight, or the Scottish guy who wore a kilt to the ring. Or why does a bearded guy from the south have to be a back woods cult leader? Or why does the white boss have to be greedy and controlling.

In professional wrestling you are playing a character, that is in many circumstances the performers personality only stereotyped and over hyped. Now there is no doubt that the WWE has had more successful white superstars than minority. I would like to see some genuine statistics about WWE hiring policy, see how many minority superstars applied , and how many made it onto raw.

I just don't see how someone like the Rock could have risen to be a multi platform mega star if WWE was really racist at its core. I don't see how the Uso's could have the 5th longest reign or the Colon's have the 2nd longest reign in TT title history if wwe is racist. I don't see how Booker T could have been the multi time champ. There have been multiple general managers, Vickie, Teddy Long, Booker T, that were minorities.

And furthermore, any white person who has even a smidgen of racism in there gimmick is made to be a heel and gets viciously booed by the fans (the real Americans)

I've heard these rumors literally hundreds of times by now. Although I can't confirm if WWE is in fact racist and although I've seen a ton of angles/characters that were fairly racily charged I never got the feeling that WWE was in fact racist. Now I've often heard these allegations from African Americans more than anyone else (often using the lack of Black WWE champions as their go to evidence) and every time I hear this say the same thing: Name me one black superstar who was truly DESERVING of a world title run that didn't get one. None of them have yet to give me a good answer.

When you look at the facts there were many African American wrestlers who got heavily pushed in the WWE and in the cases of Ahmed Johnson and Bobby Lashley they were both pushed as if they were being groomed to be the top guy in WWE down the road. Vince obviously loved Lashley considering not only Lashley's push but all the attention he got while feuding with Vince. The fact is Vince won't have a long feud with just anyone and since Lashley did get a long feud with Vince (followed by a WWE title match against Cena) he was obviously being primed to be John Cena's successor. Another one I hear is with Booker T and HHH at Wrestlemania 19. I'll be the 1st to admit I feel Booker should have won the title that night without question but then again the same thing happened with RVD at a time he was the most popular wrestler in WWE (even being ranked #1 by PWI that year) so I doubt racism had anything to do with that. Besides, Booker T did get the World title a few years later, Henry got the title a while after Booker did so WWE can't be that racist.

I've heard Konnan say WWE was racist against Latino's. I guess that's why Del Rio got pushed much harder than he deserved and Sin Cara got brought in with more hype than anyone in years. Eddie Guerrero and Rey are technically American but both have huge ties with the Latino population and both men became World Champion.

Although WWE has made some DUMB decisions in the past, although there have been numerous racially charged things WWE has done (Saba Simba for example) they don't seem to hold people down based on their race. If there is one thing Vince loves more than pushing a certain race or nationality its most certainly money and Vince isn't throwing away a ton of money just so he can keep a white guy on top. Just ask The Rock.

Sylvester Ritter was just has over has Hulk Hogan was in the 80's but was never even granted a shot at the title...BTW Sylvester Ritter aka The Junk Yard Dog. Tony Atlas had a much better physiq than Hogan but was also never given a shot at the title. I could go on with this for days but to what point. There is crystal clear of racial bias in wrestling but it's never truly been something that will ever have a huge effect on MY life as a person, so with that being said it took me a few days to decide if I would get involved with this topic. Racial bias can be argued by every race execpt white, there have only been 4 Latino WWE Champions in history(If you count the big Gold Belt has a legit World title after 2005, you've got issues), 1 Samoan soon to be a second(Yokozuna was SAMOAN), Never an Native American, Never an Asian, Never an African American(in WWE) Ron Simmons World Title run in WCW doesn't count in this thread but he is recognised as the first African American World Champion.
I don't really count the Rock as black because he's half Samoan, but he's as close to an African American WWE Champion Uncle Vince is going to get. The Rock & Tyger Woods seem to try to distance themselves from their African American heritage publicly sometimes, like they themselves don't count that side of their genetics.

Sylvester Ritter was just has over has Hulk Hogan was in the 80's but was never even granted a shot at the title...BTW Sylvester Ritter aka The Junk Yard Dog. Tony Atlas had a much better physiq than Hogan but was also never given a shot at the title. I could go on with this for days but to what point. There is crystal clear of racial bias in wrestling but it's never truly been something that will ever have a huge effect on MY life as a person, so with that being said it took me a few days to decide if I would get involved with this topic. Racial bias can be argued by every race execpt white, there have only been 4 Latino WWE Champions in history(If you count the big Gold Belt has a legit World title after 2005, you've got issues), 1 Samoan soon to be a second(Yokozuna was SAMOAN), Never an Native American, Never an Asian, Never an African American(in WWE) Ron Simmons World Title run in WCW doesn't count in this thread but he is recognised as the first African American World Champion.
I don't really count the Rock as black because he's half Samoan, but he's as close to an African American WWE Champion Uncle Vince is going to get. The Rock & Tyger Woods seem to try to distance themselves from their African American heritage publicly soinmetimes, like they themselves don't count that side of their genetics.

First off JYD and Tony Atlas were faces in WWF when Hogan was champ (Atlas was barely there during Hogans WWE title yeara) and in the 80's, back then face vs. face matches were rare in WWF, even rarer in regards to Hogan. I guess we can ignore the fact both Kamala and Bad News Brown got plenty of title shots against Hogan. I hope you aren't suggesting Atlas or JYD being champ over the biggest star of all time because no one deserved that title more than Hogan in the 80's.

When it comes to other ethnicities being champ its happened more than you pretend, but apparently the only title that matters is the WWE title, lets ignore mega pushes for Lashley and Ahmed Johnson because its convenient to do so, or the fact both were getting primed for the title (its blindingly obvious that happened) only not to get it based on injuries, incompetence and being dangerous in the ring (yeah that was totally on WWE). I'm not gonna argue there were plenty talented ethnic wrestlers but in reality the guy on top in WWE was more often than not the right guy.

Were there plenty of different races that could warrant a title run? Definitely but there are plenty of every race that fits that description. There weren't too many though who actually had a claim to being the top guy in WWE though, to be the champ and the ones who were warranted (like The Rock because he counts despite what you think) usually got put in that position.

Anyone who says that The Rock doesn't count because because he's only half black must then also say that America has never had a black president because Obama is also only half black. Suddenly your argument sounds pretty stupid doesn't it?

Anyone who says that The Rock doesn't count because because he's only half black must then also say that America has never had a black president because Obama is also only half black. Suddenly your argument sounds pretty stupid doesn't it?

I never understand this. How does mixed race not count. It makes people sound like the dad at the start of Guess Who's Coming To Dinner. The Rock has Samoan and Black ancestry making him A. not white and B. a minority you could say. He's held the top championship (several times) in WWE so everyone's arguement about WWE not pushing ethnic wrestlers is void. But because The Rock isn't as dark as say Booker T it's apparently void.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back