Honestly One of the Dumbest Thread's Ive Seen

The title of the competition was "controversy creates conversation." He accomplished that. On many occassions I have argued a point I didn't actually feel strongly about just to rile up a particular - sometimes self-righteous - group.

Perhaps if the title of the contest were "not showing up creates champions," the OP of this thread would have run away with it... :)

I don't want to go all Tenta and shit, but seriously if making a shit thread containing nothing but shit arguments got you through, then I'm glad I missed. With all due respect IC, how the fuck was it brilliant? It was nothing more than being an idiot, not some Jedi mind trick. It came down to him saying it's boring because it's too long and it sucks because the fights can be too short. Not a single one of his arguments were well thought out or logical. I suppose next time I want to ''create conversation" I could just go into the sports section and create a thread declaring all sports to be shit?

And you may have missed it, but the reason I wasn't here for that round was because my sister was diagnosed with Leukemia and I flew out to Texas to be there for her for a week or two. I had let everyone know about my absence and apologized for letting people down when I returned. Thanks though ass.

I don't want to go all Tenta and shit, but seriously if making a shit thread containing nothing but shit arguments got you through, then I'm glad I missed.

Hahahaha, it's now known as "going Tenta?" I love it.

With all due respect IC, how the fuck was it brilliant?

Becker recognized the pride and borderline self-righteousness of MMA fans. He exploited that for the contest. It was a smart move that nobody else thought of. It was 100% completely outside the box. Becker knew he'd have to withstand a firestorm, but in doing so he engaged not only the other competitors, but several other very good posters. He set a trap, sprung it, and it worked.

Furthermore, Becker's reputation is one as a top-notch sports poster. He left his comfort zone, which was a risk. I respect risk-takers.

It was nothing more than being an idiot, not some Jedi mind trick. It came down to him saying it's boring because it's too long and it sucks because the fights can be too short. Not a single one of his arguments were well thought out or logical. I suppose next time I want to ''create conversation" I could just go into the sports section and create a thread declaring all sports to be shit?

And be prepared to be torn to shreds, sure. Just like he did.

If his arguments were such shit, then a few people would have torn him down, proven him wrong, and killed the thread in 5 posts. But Becker attacked an opinion, not a truly verifiable fact.

And you may have missed it, but the reason I wasn't here for that round was because my sister was diagnosed with Leukemia and I flew out to Texas to be there for her for a week or two. I had let everyone know about my absence and apologized for letting people down when I returned. Thanks though ass.

I did miss it. And if this last little statement is supposed to get me to feel all bad for poking a little fun at you, then FAIL. You're taking yourself too seriously.

1) Your family is a shit load more important than the forums. SO why do you honestly care what I or anyone else thinks?

2) Guess what - regardless of the reasons, you're not really in a position to criticize Becker, are you?

Do you know what my next thread is going to be on? It's going to be on why people on these forums can't stop demanding sympathy by pouring out their personal lives to people they don't know.

I am sorry to hear about your sister, but if you don't want to be criticized - or in the case of my comment - you don't want to be teased a little, then don't cast the first stone there, champ. Like I said, you're taking yourself a touch seriously, and i think you're better than this. Can we please just laugh this off and more on, or do I need to pull out the "my parents are divorcing" card? Because I'll do it, dammit.

I'm sorry, but WHO exactly are you and WHAT exactly was shit?

I am your fucking mother and that was shit. From someone who is just coming off of some serious fucking shit, Armbar was letting people know what the fuck was going on in his life. I don't care who you are your "my parents divorced" comment was complete shit.

Hope she is doing good Armbar.

I'm really not though. I'm in quite the positive mood, to be honest. How are you, Ferbs?

I have a hard time imagining you pissed anyway my friend.

I'm good, just doing the regular. Listening to some music here and there. Got my tattoo expanded if you've missed out on the few comments I've made on that.

I am your fucking mother and that was shit. From someone who is just coming off of some serious fucking shit, Armbar was letting people know what the fuck was going on in his life. I don't care who you are your "my parents divorced" comment was complete shit.

I'd be sorry you feel that way, but you see, here's the difference - I don't know you from a hole in the ground. So as far as I go - whatever.

And if "I am your fucking mother" is the best you could do, then you're not in my league anyway. Peace out.

I have a hard time imagining you pissed anyway my friend.

I'm good, just doing the regular. Listening to some music here and there. Got my tattoo expanded if you've missed out on the few comments I've made on that.

I missed that too. I've been mad busy lately myself, so I usually pop on to manage the contest, post in a few spots, check my NWS's, and then pop off. But I'm glad to hear you're well.

I missed that too. I've been mad busy lately myself, so I usually pop on to manage the contest, post in a few spots, check my NWS's, and then pop off. But I'm glad to hear you're well.

Yeah I noticed you haven't been around lately. But it's alway nice to hear a bit from you here and there. I'll try to have a picture up tomorrow (I got it Wednesday, no pictures taken yet.. Judge the laziness).

How about you? Being mad busy couldn't possibly be the only thing you've been up to.

Yeah I noticed you haven't been around lately. But it's alway nice to hear a bit from you here and there. I'll try to have a picture up tomorrow (I got it Wednesday, no pictures taken yet.. Judge the laziness).

How about you? Being mad busy couldn't possibly be the only thing you've been up to.

Was finally on vacation for a bit, then just back to work which is insane right now. Today I finally got to relax.

And I'm not mad. :) See?

Was finally on vacation for a bit, then just back to work which is insane right now. Today I finally got to relax.

And I'm not mad. :) See?

Sounds good mate. Work is always a bitch to return to after a vacation though, I can totally relate to that (my latest vacation was a bitch to return from).

Besides, I never figured you were mad. I'd imagine something bigger from you if you were pissed.

Hahahaha, it's now known as "going Tenta?" I love it.

It will now be used constantly.

Becker recognized the pride and borderline self-righteousness of MMA fans. He exploited that for the contest. It was a smart move that nobody else thought of. It was 100% completely outside the box. Becker knew he'd have to withstand a firestorm, but in doing so he engaged not only the other competitors, but several other very good posters. He set a trap, sprung it, and it worked.

Nobody else thought of? What was there to think of? In all honesty I think the mma posters are some of the more open minded posters here simply because they have to be; it's the nature and unpredictability of the sport. We have welcomed plenty of poster to step out of their comfort zone and post there and most have done pretty well. This wasn't an authentic fucking post. He never meant to actually persuade anybody or have people understand his point of view, it was simply shock value. Really, that shows a posters true potential? By speaking out of their ass?

Furthermore, Becker's reputation is one as a top-notch sports poster. He left his comfort zone, which was a risk. I respect risk-takers.

Absolutely, he knows his shit. Never said he didn't, nor do I personally dislike him. There is a difference in leaving your comfort zone to create a well thought out, informed post and going out of your comfort zone to spew bullshit. I respect risk takers who know what they're talking about when they take those risks.

And be prepared to be torn to shreds, sure. Just like he did.

If his arguments were such shit, then a few people would have torn him down, proven him wrong, and killed the thread in 5 posts. But Becker attacked an opinion, not a truly verifiable fact.

First off, you will NEVER tear me to shreds in an argument/debate. I know you're one of the most intelligent posters here and a great debater, but you will NOT tear me to shreds.

So he didn't use any opinions and try to pass them as facts is what you're saying right? That an opinion cannot be wrong? Let's take a look at a couple gems from the thread:

I'm the only person? I'm sure I could find another person who agrees with me. He was laying on the ground for 23 minutes doing absolutely nothing. Not enjoyable. Pretty boring.

He did absolutely nothing? No, that is wrong and not a fucking fact. Anybody that knows the tiniest amount about the sport knows Sonnen has excellent top control and worked every second of that position. Not for one second did he do nothing. Perhaps if he had said ''I don't think he really did anything offense wise or showed control in a dominant position" then yeah, that's an opinion. He tried to play something as fact. It wasn't.

And don't bring up that fight night shit. That shit usually sucks. It's uninteresting and isn't highlighted by any big name fighters. Remember, apparently it hurts to give some meat away for free. Why waste money when it can be shit. At least if they sample it, it could gain a fan like myself. But until then I'll do something like this.

It's uninteresting and isn't highlight by any big names? Sounds like, once again, he's using an opinion and parading it as a fact. Besides the fact that the cards have been headlined by plenty of number one contenders fights, all of which feature fighters who are well known to anybody that actually watches the sport at all. Not to mention, before the year is even over, there will be at least two more free cards and both have a solid lineup of fights. I don't understand how somebody can get credit for arguing over something they clearly haven't the slightest clue about.

I did miss it. And if this last little statement is supposed to get me to feel all bad for poking a little fun at you, then FAIL. You're taking yourself too seriously.

Wasn't my intentions, so there is no fail here dude.

1) Your family is a shit load more important than the forums. SO why do you honestly care what I or anyone else thinks?

Obviously family is more important, that's the reason I picked it over the forums. Never said I would care if they cared that I was gone. I planned on returning here obviously and wanted to let everyone know that there was a reason I had missed the competition and wanted to thank those who voted for me. Giving an reason for my absence in no way takes away from the fact that I chose family over these forums.

2) Guess what - regardless of the reasons, you're not really in a position to criticize Becker, are you?

Okay how about nobody ever criticize anyone here then? Really, why wouldn't I be? He isn't any better than me. What would give ANY person here the right to criticize anyone then? Yet, it happens all the time. Is it because I'm not on staff? I didn't know that those positions came with the right to have an opinion and critique someones post in a nice, shiny, plastic wrapper. I'll remember that next time.

Do you know what my next thread is going to be on? It's going to be on why people on these forums can't stop demanding sympathy by pouring out their personal lives to people they don't know.

Like asking for advice? Didn't you just create a thread int he GSD section no more than a week ago asking for advice? Obviously I don't think there's anything wrong with that, just saying it seems like asking these people for advice seems personal. Some people are more open then others. I also don't remember asking for sympathy in that thread, I could have sworn that it related mostly to my absence during the competition. There is a difference in caring how others see you and how you feel you carry yourself. One is important to me, the other is not.

I am sorry to hear about your sister, but if you don't want to be criticized - or in the case of my comment - you don't want to be teased a little, then don't cast the first stone there, champ. Like I said, you're taking yourself a touch seriously, and i think you're better than this. Can we please just laugh this off and more on, or do I need to pull out the "my parents are divorcing" card? Because I'll do it, dammit.

IC, I wasn't offended by what you said in the least. I knew it was just a fun poke. I thought my statement would come across the same, clearly it didn't. I'm not offended.

Thanks for the sentiments and well wishes Vash. Really though, I haven't been offended by anything IC has said, I'm aware he means no disrespect and I don't either.

Im with Armbar on this one. Anyone can create conversation with a thread titled "MMA Sucks." in the MMA section.

It's like when anyone posts a "PG is ghey lolz" thread in the WWE section, there's always a firestorm of responses.

Becker recognized the pride and borderline self-righteousness of MMA fans. He exploited that for the contest. It was a smart move that nobody else thought of. It was 100% completely outside the box.

Trolling is a heavily established art form on the internet and, indeed, on WrestleZone.

Trolling is a heavily established art form on the internet and, indeed, on WrestleZone.

I've said it a thousand times before, this isn't trolling. Trolling isn't supposed to be this fucking obvious. There are plenty of talented posters here who would be able to intelligently and successfully create a thread in which they take a position on something that isn't truly their own. Like IC said, he has created threads who's message wasn't something he agreed with but thought it would be a good discussion topic. This wasn't done well or intelligently.

I've said it a thousand times before, this isn't trolling. Trolling isn't supposed to be this fucking obvious.

I don't think the debate of the semantics a word created - or at least repurposed - by the internet community will be a fruitful one.

There are plenty of talented posters here who would be able to intelligently and successfully create a thread in which they take a position on something that isn't truly their own. Like IC said, he has created threads who's message wasn't something he agreed with but thought it would be a good discussion topic. This wasn't done well or intelligently.

Ah, Becker's OK. He's just one of those angry people I don't understand.

I don't think the debate of the semantics a word created - or at least repurposed - by the internet community will be a fruitful one.

Of course, but that doesn't mean there isn't or can't be purpose behind the word.

Ah, Becker's OK. He's just one of those angry people I don't understand.

Becker is okay. People that talk about things they don't know about bug me.

Trolls are there to annoy and provoke and he did. Pretty simple. People say "anyone can do it", and it's true, but no one else actually did. It's pretty clear why it was successful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back