• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Coolest and Dumbest WWE names.

Why do they change someone's name, when they can be marketed on the name they are known for?

C.M. Punk was known as such in ROH, so it made sense to keep it.

But two different types of name changing bothers me.

1) When they change a wrestler who has a famous father? Imagine if Randy Orton or Cody Rhodes were given names that didn't reflect that they are sons of Legends. Yet, none of Rotundo's sons are packaged under their names, nor is Joe Hennig (though Cutis Axel is a nod to both his father and grandfather). Why wouldn't you bring them in under their real names, and capitalise on their heritage?

This is why, in one way, it was good that Richie Steamboat retired from wrestling. WWE may have given him a name totally unrelated to Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, and I wouldn't like that.

2) Bringing in famous names from overseas,and then changing them. KENTA and Prince Devitt would be more marketable under those names, as they are a big deal in their home countries, so why then name them something completely different? It doesn't make sense.

For the "worst" category : Gorilla Monsoon. You expect me to believe that a man's name is "Gorilla" ? That's when they should've been on a "last name" basis. I don't like "Monsoon" but it's definitely the lesser of two evils !

Dumbest WWE Names: Half the roster from 1993 to 1996.

Rockabilly
Duke The Dumpster Droese
Hunter Hearst Helmsley
Thurman "Sparky Plugg"
Isacc Yankem
"Man o' War" Aldo Montoya
Doink the Clown
Mo and Mabel
Henry and Phineas Godwinn
Skip and Zip The Body Donnas
Irwin R. Schyster
Rad Radford
Leif Cassidy

How about the wrestler called "who" , that caused a lot of confusion. "Who is in the ring?" "Who's in the ring" "yes who's in the ring"

The Miz without a shadow of a doubt. Probably the worst name I have ever heard for a wrestler. At least for someone who made it as high up as he did.

I don't mind Dolph Ziggler as much as a lot of people do, but I do see why it sucks.

I have never been a fan of Seth Rollins as a name. I know he came up with it himself it just doesn't sound like a main event name. Sounds like someone you would introduce as the city's local jobber. Ambrose took a while to grow on me but it fits well.

I actually like Gorilla Monsoon...to a point. It is pretty difficult to say when calling a match I imagine though. But it is memorable and fit the times.

The Miz without a shadow of a doubt. Probably the worst name I have ever heard for a wrestler. At least for someone who made it as high up as he did.

I don't mind Dolph Ziggler as much as a lot of people do, but I do see why it sucks.

I have never been a fan of Seth Rollins as a name. I know he came up with it himself it just doesn't sound like a main event name. Sounds like someone you would introduce as the city's local jobber. Ambrose took a while to grow on me but it fits well.

How can you be upset with a name like the Miz? His real name is Mike MIZanin, so calling him "Miz" or "The Miz" makes a hell of a lot more sense than many of the names.

Dumbest name?.....Sparky Plugg..... for cryin' out loud. How do you take seriously a wrestler with that stupid name? ("What a dropkick by Plugg!")

When Bob Holly had a short run with Billy Gunn as his tag partner in the early 00's, I thought they were going to start calling him Bob "Spark Plug" Holly again. Just so the tag team could be called "Ass Plug".

The early to mid-90's was FILLED with awful names. Isaac Yankem? Bastion Booger? Sparky Plugg? TL Hopper? It was total absurdity. Even today's shitty names will never hold a candle to those.

As for today's roster, I'm in the camp that thinks Dolph Ziggler is the worst name. I try thinking about him getting the run that many people thinks he deserves, and going and doing shows like Live with Michael and Kelly, and hearing his name said in a non-wrestling environment. "Joining us now, Dolph Ziggler". The crowd would be chuckling. It's hard enough for a wrestler to be "taken seriously" these days, and a name like that starts you off w/ a strike against you.

Wrestling fans have just gotten used to it, and he's such a great worker that it's not a big deal. But looking at it from the perspective of a non-wrestling fan, it is just a terrible name.

Favorite wrestling name: Balls Mahoney. Just looking at the guy and how he 'wrestled', the kind of attitude he had, and the federation he was in, Balls was just a perfect name for the guy.

Least favorite wrestling name: Marcus Cor Von. I mean, yeah, Alpha Male Monty Brown wasn't much, but at least it didn't sound like a cheap soap opera.

As for the current roster, some of my favorite names are Bray Wyatt, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns, Chris Jericho, Brock Lesnar, Bad News Barrett, and Randy Orton.

I've never been a fan of gimmick names really. Big E is one of the most generic names of all-time. It sounded ok when he also had the name of Langston, but now that he's just Big E (and we've never been told what the E stands for), it sounds ridiculous. Big Show, The Miz, and Ryback also top my list of WWE's worst-named performers.

Speaking of names, I really wish they'd give Goldust & Stardust a team name. I hate it when tag teams don't have a team name. Dust Brothers, Rhodes Brothers, anything sounds better than Gold & Stardust. Creative team, that's the best you can do?

Speaking of names, I really wish they'd give Goldust & Stardust a team name. I hate it when tag teams don't have a team name. Dust Brothers, Rhodes Brothers, anything sounds better than Gold & Stardust. Creative team, that's the best you can do?

Most people call them the Dust Brothers, but I call them Gold Star. You know, like the teacher giving you a gold star.

The best and worst ring name in the world belong to one man and one man only and I find it just incredible that no one was brought up Justin Credible yet. At first you can't help but love the sheer simple play on words, but the more you here it the more you start to realise how dumb it actually sounds to call yourself Justin Credible.

Honorable Mention goes out to The Shockmaster too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back