• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Good Benoit Read from the Ottawa Sun

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
What caused Chris Benoit to do the unspeakable, killing his young son, his wife and himself on a tragic Atlanta weekend less than eight months ago?

Was it depression? Steroid rage? A cocktail combination of pills, drugs and untreated concussions?

Or all of the above?

Tonight, on the CBC investigative series The Fifth Estate, the life and death of the Canadian wrestling icon -- along with the convoluted and troubled life of so many of his ring colleagues -- is examined by former CFLer turned reporter Bob McKeown.

The answers aren't certain. The theories remain just that. But the story of how it happened -- Sun Media obtained a copy of the script -- why it happened, and quite possibly what caused this tragedy of life, sport and entertainment to occur in the backdrop of so many other catastrophes at least offers explanations.

"Benoit's brain looked like the brain of an individual suffering from a specific type of dementia normally seen in people in their 80s or 90s," Dr. Bennett Omalu tells The Fifth Estate. "We don't think it (the murders) was steroid rage. We think it's a different syndrome."

The investigation of Benoit's brain began with a strange call. Mike Benoit, Chris' father, picked up the phone and the voice on the other end asked: "Could he have Chris Benoit's brain?"

Mike Benoit was stunned. "And I kept looking at the phone thinking, 'is this is the National Enquirer? Like, who is this?' "

The brain made its way to Dr. Julian Bailes, the former neurosurgeon for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and to his colleague, Omalu.

The doctors believe an abnormal protein, usually found in the brains of elderly people with dementia -- but rarely in middle-aged men -- led to the murder/suicide. They also believe Benoit was not responsible for his actions.

WWE boss Vince McMahon rejects the doctors' argument, saying Benoit could not have functioned as well as he did if he was suffering from dementia.

What is clear is that Benoit was the beneficiary, then the victim of his lifestyle and desire for success.

The fact pro wrestlers die young isn't new. What's startling is the fact their death rate is 7-10 times higher than the general population of similar age.

"If you read their life story, you'll see a very common thread," Bailes says of athletes who die young. "A failure in their personal life, failure in their business life, depression, suicide attempts and then suicide completion."

Chris Benoit's father needs something to hope for.

"I can't bring my son back, can't bring my daughter-in-law back, can't bring my grandson back. But I can make changes going forward," he says. "The wrestling industry will change and they'll change dramatically because of what happened to Chris Benoit."

He believes that. Maybe he needs to believe that. History suggests otherwise

It's staying in the spam forum, because it's just going to breakdown again, I can feel it. But does this change anything about your opinion on the guy. We're 8 months removed, and doctors have been working on the case since then.

I think that this is interesting as hell in my opinion, and it reaffirms my belief that Benoit was not in his right mind at the time. I know people think it's bullshit, and it's expected, but do you think any differently?

I still hold out slim hope that it was not Benoit that did this but a Murderer. Anyone that watches wrestling probably feels the same way. But there is so much not known about the mind that it is entirely plausible that he had a mental illness.

Whether he was in his right mind or not, he killed a child, who couldn't fight back. If there is a place worst than hell, I hope he is there. I was a fan, but I think Benoit names shoudl taken from all WWE records, all is titles should be forgotten. The guy was a sick bastard and killing himself he took the easy way out for the things he did to his family.

I was a fan, and makes me sick to know I was a fan of his and anyone still has respect for his work is sick. Hell if you cheer benoit, then cheer Hitler, Cheer Suddam Hussein, cheer Jim Jones. The man deserves no phrase, and there is no excuse of killing your own family over a weekend. Benoit shoudl be a banned subject in the forums as the bastard doesn't deserve to be mention in a wrestling forum, and I feel bad that I wasted my time typing this, but I had to get off my chest.

He son was suppose to be mentally disabled and he used a wrestling hold to kill his own son with his bare as the childs mother was dead in a downstairs room. Benoit sucks! Nothing he did in the ring matters anymore, all he accomplished doesn't mean a damn thing. He should never be mentioned. He should of just hung himself and left his wife and child out of it. Benoit is a bitch, he did a bitch move by killing his family. If he was aman, he would of either lived to took himself out. 8 months has pass, so lets move as if Benoit was never born because thats how it should be.

The way I see is like if someone to kill my son if he was disabled and couldn't cry, couldn't call for help, couldn't fight back. No excuse in the world is valid in taking another person's life especially a child. See people want there wrestling hero back, but the hero was punk bitch who couldn't handle his life. He was selfish,and I hope his get tortured for the rest of after life.

I've said this before- there is a right, wrong, and what falls between that is the gray area. What Benoit did was wrong... it was completely, utterly, terribly, wrong. The reasons why he did it, fall into that gray area, but that doesn't excuse him, it doesn't pardon him, and it doesn't lessen the horror of his crimes.

I don't need an article to tell me that there was something wrong with Benoit's brain. Anyone who kills their wife and child, and then themselves obviously had something wrong with them.

Flames Out
Dragon

wohhhMR Collins okay i agree with you that it was sick really it was how could you think of something like that but then agin im still thinking that some one else might have done this or mabey the devil came by him i doubt it was him
but if it was him it was because of him entertaining you and every one else all those tlc matches chairs to head his diving head but finisher he took to much damage to the head he's done the diving head but so high up so many times offa ladders to out side of the ring if it was him it was because his brain got aten up

A mental Illness where he doesn't control the thinking part of the brain. Where he becomes so delusional or Paranoid that he kills his Child does not make him evil. It makes it a terrible tragedy. Ignoring Benoit is ignoring some of the greatest moments in wrestling. So we ignore Orton's first title reign because he beat benoit, we ignore the Owen Tribute match because benoit is in it. We ignore the end of Wrestlemania 20 with Eddie and Chris celebrating in the middle of the ring. We will never know what really happened that weekend, but because of the result does not make it a reason to say that Chris Benoit was evil. Until that weekend if he died we all would have acclaimed him the greatest ever. Simple as that. Three actions do not take away all that he gave to Wrestling. If you ignore the last weekend. Paranoid delusions can result in the guy thinking that he is being attacked by those that are closest to him. All the plausible options are ignored for why in which we can partially forgive or let go what he did. It is a case of leaving an Open mind to Why as opposed to being closed minded with What happened.

A mental Illness where he doesn't control the thinking part of the brain. Where he becomes so delusional or Paranoid that he kills his Child does not make him evil. It makes it a terrible tragedy. Ignoring Benoit is ignoring some of the greatest moments in wrestling. So we ignore Orton's first title reign because he beat benoit, we ignore the Owen Tribute match because benoit is in it. We ignore the end of Wrestlemania 20 with Eddie and Chris celebrating in the middle of the ring. We will never know what really happened that weekend, but because of the result does not make it a reason to say that Chris Benoit was evil. Until that weekend if he died we all would have acclaimed him the greatest ever. Simple as that. Three actions do not take away all that he gave to Wrestling. If you ignore the last weekend. Paranoid delusions can result in the guy thinking that he is being attacked by those that are closest to him. All the plausible options are ignored for why in which we can partially forgive or let go what he did. It is a case of leaving an Open mind to Why as opposed to being closed minded with What happened.

That weekend ended anything good about benoit. Hell almost everyone in wrestler have turned their backs on him. The WWE acts like he never wrestled a match for them.

You can't forgive a guy who killed a child! A boy who will never grow up, who will never experience what life could of been because his dad went crazy. People want an excuse so they can have reason to be a benoit fan. He killed people cold blooded. Every person who kills someone says they were out their mind. Hell the guy wasn't so crazy to get on plane, go to a doctor, kill his wife, play with his son, kill his son, and kill himself. Hell he sent text messages to people to come and find him. I think he was in good mind.

I think he is just a sick bastard and you try to find an excuse for him, something is wrong with you. You might as well start reading Timothy McVay books or become a fan of the kid who shot of Virgina Tech.

Benoit is shit. I wish there was something lower than shit, because calling benoit shit, is almost a compliment. Don't excuse murder, because you can't. I can see the murder of his wife, and accident, but he taped her, and choke her. Then he choked his son. then he got drunk and hung himself! He should killed himself, the selfish shit.

I'm not saying this to get people all up on benoit or something, but we don't need to sing the phrase of benoit. He killed his family. I think for Nancy and Daniel family, benoit not being mention, forgotten from will never bring back Nancy or Daniel, but at least benoit is not thought of as hero.

benoit should be a banned word in this forum. I hate all the youtube tributes, the RIP Benoit, I hope he isn't resting in peace. He thought killing his family would bring them together in the after life, well maybe he didn't read the bible right as murder and suicide is a sin.

How the hell do you know he killed people in Cold Blood. You don't in a Psychotic episode he could have been killing them in Hot blood. You don't know. The suicide most likely came when he came back to normal and realised what he did.

How the hell do you know he killed people in Cold Blood. You don't in a Psychotic episode he could have been killing them in Hot blood. You don't know. The suicide most likely came when he came back to normal and realised what he did.

When you kill two people over a weekend, thats kind of cold blooded. I mean one was his wife, the other his disabled son. No matter what mental problem he had, no excuse. So if I go on killing spree tomorrow, I will tell people I was hearing voices. In the end Benoit is a killer, who doesn't deserve what he did in the wrestling to be mention as something great.

Well one problem there what Benoit did in Wrestling was great. Simple as that.

I'll admit I WAS, a Benoit fan. Hell I have more respect for Mr. Perfect who overdose on cocaine than for Benoit. Hell I respect Mike Awesome who hung himself than Benoit. Benoit killed his family. And no matter how great a wrestler he was, it doesn't matter anymore. No excuse for what he did, and I think him no longer mention in wrestling is a good thing. Hell John Wilkes Booth was a great actor but no one talks about it, because when he killed the President, his accomplishment no longer matter. Hopefully in years Benoit won't be mention again and when people get older they will realize that Benoit was selfish and a punk. Not a man, but a punk.

I find it hard to accept this theory because Benoit was amazing in the ring, definitely one of the greatest of all time. I'd have to agree with McMahon because there's no way Benoit could have performed the way he did with an 80-year old brain.

You can't watch a John Wilkes Booth performance so you don't know that he was a good actor. Some of the greatest Poetry written in the English language is written by Men who served on the Western Front in WW1 they killed. You don't here condemnation for it. JRR Tolkien served in WW1 he killed yet he is praised for his Writing. So do not tell me that Because you killed it takes away what you do.

80 year old brain is a figure of speech. His Mental capacity would have been severely damaged. Thereby meaning he would have the decision making ability of someone 80 years old with Dementia. As for not being able to work at the level he did look at it this way he had wrestled since he was 18/19. It would be hardwired into his brain. Same thing happens all the time with certain people they do a job so long that it is second nature so even if their mind is deteriorating they still do their job properly.

You can't watch a John Wilkes Booth performance so you don't know that he was a good actor. Some of the greatest Poetry written in the English language is written by Men who served on the Western Front in WW1 they killed. You don't here condemnation for it. JRR Tolkien served in WW1 he killed yet he is praised for his Writing. So do not tell me that Because you killed it takes away what you do.

Tolkien was in War. What War was Benoit fighting? Tolkinen didn't go by plane, go in someone house and kill people over a weekend. He was in War defending himself. What fight you think Benoit had with an 8 year old?

And like xRishan said, Vince said it right, how you wrestle and perform daily if he had the brian of and 80 year old.

80 year old brain is a figure of speech. His Mental capacity would have been severely damaged. Thereby meaning he would have the decision making ability of someone 80 years old with Dementia. As for not being able to work at the level he did look at it this way he had wrestled since he was 18/19. It would be hardwired into his brain. Same thing happens all the time with certain people they do a job so long that it is second nature so even if their mind is deteriorating they still do their job properly.

I'm done with whole after this, I just think for his actions that weekend, the greatness he had accomplish should acknowledge. I wa a fan, and know he had great matches, but after killing his son, I lost all respect and any kind admoration towards the guy. I tell people always, if he left his family out if, I still be a benoit fan, but when he got selfish and kids is wife and son, things changed. You can stay a fan, but just remember no matter how grea the was, he was a killer in the end.

It is when it causes a Psychotic occurance. And then he came out and felt remorse therefore he killed himself fairly simple Idea there and it makes the most sense considering what people that Actually knew him have said about him.

I watched The Fifth Estate last night about Chris Benoit. There were interviews with Bret Hart and surprisingly Jake "The Snake" Roberts where they both believe Chris was not in the right state of mind when he committed those acts and also talked about steriods in wrestling. The show talked about Chris getting started in Stampede Wrestling and how he became a big follower of the Dynamite Kid Tom Billington, they also interviewed Billington's ex-wife and she talks about how Tom would beat her due to Roid Rage.

In an interesting note, it was Chris Nowinski who brought up the idea of examining Benoit's brain because it was him who called Mike Benoit and asked him if he was willing to let someone examine his son's brain. Mike agreed to it and found out about Chris' brain being compared to a 80 year old with dementia which shed some light on the situation. Doctors and scientists agree that Benoit cannot be blamed for his actions and declared it as an action of dementia.

Personally, I forgive Benoit for what he did because I believe that when he went home during that weekend, something triggered the dementia and then it was too late. I think he was able to control the dementia to an extent, but when something very stressful happened(the family emergency), it made him snap.

I find it hard to accept this theory because Benoit was amazing in the ring, definitely one of the greatest of all time. I'd have to agree with McMahon because there's no way Benoit could have performed the way he did with an 80-year old brain.

Amazing, so you're taking the word of a guy that is looking out for the best interest of his name and his company by disassociating himself from any blame over two guys that are neurologist and study the brain for a living, yup.

I think that people simply don't understand the power of the brain. If indeed Benoit's brain was that badly damaged, the rationale thought of the guy was gone. Take a psychology class before you judge a guy, seriously. Neurologist are now coming out saying that Benoit was not in control of his actions, yet people want to label him as "evil".

Just because somebody wasn't in control of their actions, does it wipe them free of blame? In my opinion, no. Whether they're of a sane mind or not, someone's actions are their actions, their choices are their choices. The facts are that nobody would commit acts such as one Chris Benoit did in a sane mind, as they are not sane actions. So, in my opinion, he's still fully responsible for what he did.

I for one think if benoit had severe mental illness then he should be held in a different regard than other cold blooded killers. If in fact he did not know what he was doing then how can he be condemned for that. What he accomplished in the ring was very great and to ignore it is not doing anyone any favors. Look at the royal rumble. When they talked about the statistics of the rumble they just left out that he was one of the guys that won the royal rumble from the number one position. To me it affected the rest of the pay per view because i knew without a shadow of a doubt that the number 30 entrant would win just to distance themselves from having to address the statistic of the number one entrant. We as fans need to separate the last days of his life from his career and just enjoy the magic that he performed in the ring. Benoit fan forever here

Just because somebody wasn't in control of their actions, does it wipe them free of blame? In my opinion, no. Whether they're of a sane mind or not, someone's actions are their actions, their choices are their choices. The facts are that nobody would commit acts such as one Chris Benoit did in a sane mind, as they are not sane actions. So, in my opinion, he's still fully responsible for what he did.

At the same time, do you know how your body works. Would you consciously know how to heal yourself on a microscopic level over a mere paper cut? Would you know how to breathe and have your heartbeat while you are asleep? No, you're brain is a complex machine and does this all for you. The thing is, the brain is so complex, that humans only use ten percent of our brain, and to begin to fathom everything that the brain can do is over bearing. All I'm saying is that he was suffering from demensia, and showed signs of paranoia that went largely ignored by his friends and employers. There were signs, and they were ignored. You can't control things on a microscopic level,a nd if there was a protein in Benoit's brain that turned the switch off, he had no control over his actions, plain and simple. It's like madcow disease essentially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back