General ROH Spam Thread

So basically what TNA did to ROH and PWG back in the day.

Eh, yeah, kind of. I think the difference will be ROH will continue letting their talent work for indie promotions on weekends off but will stop them from working for say PWG like how they don't let talent work for Gabe and Evolve/DGUSA. It's them wanting to build a brand around their talent as if to say, "you want to see Adam Cole/Jay Lethal/reDRagon, well then you have to come to an ROH show!", unless you're in the vicinity to attend an indie show they're doing in the local area.

So what matches are official for Final Battle so far? Also any idea how much this PPV will cost?

Only announced is reDRagon defending the ROH World Tag Team titles against Time Splitters (Alex Shelley/KUSHIDA). Other matches happening/awaiting confirmation/stipulations are Jay Briscoe defending against Adam Cole, Adam Page vs. Roderick Strong and probably Jay Lethal defending against Matt Sydal.

Also Michael Elgin vs. Tommaso Ciampa seems likely. Meltzer's said they'll probably do The Addiction/Bad Influence vs. The Young Bucks too.

It'll cost the same as last time, $24.95.

Only announced is reDRagon defending the ROH World Tag Team titles against Time Splitters (Alex Shelley/KUSHIDA). Other matches happening/awaiting confirmation/stipulations are Jay Briscoe defending against Adam Cole, Adam Page vs. Roderick Strong and probably Jay Lethal defending against Matt Sydal.

Also Michael Elgin vs. Tommaso Ciampa seems likely. Meltzer's said they'll probably do The Addiction/Bad Influence vs. The Young Bucks too.

It'll cost the same as last time, $24.95.

I thought Cole/Jay Briscoe was made official after he won SOTF, they have it listed on the site

http://www.rohwrestling.com/live/events/2014/dec/7/120714-final-battle-14-new-york-city

Absolutely OUTSTANDING promo by RD Evans. As crazy as it sounds, it almost makes me feel like he has an outside shot of stealing the belt(even though I logically know it will never happen).

What I do know for sure is that the pop for Evans will be insane and ROH's stupidity would be indefensible if they decide to end #TheNewStreak at this event. I expect Evans to win by count out or DQ to continue the streak without switching the belt, but any kind of loss for RD would be one of the worst booking decisions imaginable.

I completely disagree. Its ran its course. It's not funny anymore, nobody really cares. Hes got as much mileage out of it as he's going to get. It's better to end it on a high fighting for something then to just end it in a couple of months when absolutely nobody gives a damn anymore. They should definitely let him come close, let him almost steal it, but in the end have Jay Lethal kill it off. It'll also get Jay some incredible heat too.

After that I have a feeling they'll have RD go on a losing streak where he keeps losing tag matches for him and Moose, with Moose growing tired and eventually turning on RD.

It seems to me that the streak gimmick is still over with live crowds, even if most of the ROH internet crowd is over it.

And beating a comedy character does nothing for Lethal aside from getting him heat on ONE night. Afterwords Lethal will move on to the next thing like it never happened(because Evans and his comedy shtick are ultimately too far below him to yield a lasting impact), while any relevance Evans has as a character will be gone.

I also know I'm in the minority amongst the ROH internet crowd as it pertains to this Lethal heel run, but it does nothing for me. Yes his character work has been solid but a wrestler of Lethal's ability and credentials needing Truths "clusterfuckery" to retain against a slew of lower midcarders is a laughable booking strategy and making it work has required Lethal to vastly sacrifice his match quality and consistently produce the worst in-ring work of his entire career.

Ideally I'd have Evans push Lethal to the absolute limit before having Truth do something to get Lethal DQ'd and save the belt. The ending of the Evans streak should be saved for a PPV or IPPV against an opponent who stands to gain something from drawing some crowd ire at a bigger show that could then be rolled forward to further that wrestler's heel status.

I also know I'm in the minority amongst the ROH internet crowd as it pertains to this Lethal heel run, but it does nothing for me. Yes his character work has been solid but a wrestler of Lethal's ability and credentials needing Truths "clusterfuckery" to retain against a slew of lower midcarders is a laughable booking strategy and making it work has required Lethal to vastly sacrifice his match quality and consistently produce the worst in-ring work of his entire career.

Ideally I'd have Evans push Lethal to the absolute limit before having Truth do something to get Lethal DQ'd and save the belt. The ending of the Evans streak should be saved for a PPV or IPPV against an opponent who stands to gain something from drawing some crowd ire at a bigger show that could then be rolled forward to further that wrestler's heel status.

Well you got the minority part right. I know that I and most viewers of ROH would say this is the best character run Lethal's ever had as well as some of the best matches hes had. KUSHIDA, Ciampa, cage match with Taven, Alexander at ASE VI, ACH on TV, and these are only ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Lethal would benefit by ending it and riding it into Final Battle. "I spoiled The New Streak, and now I'm going to spoil any dreams fans had that Matt Sydal could ever win the TV title", being the context. The New Streak is barely over on TV. I watched TV yesterday and that's actually when it hit me, it's not funny anymore, it's not entertaining, it needs to end. ROH isn't a live show promotion, they're a TV promotion, and on TV its ran its course. I said months back that one of two people should end it, Jay Lethal or Adam Cole. It's not about ending something beneath them it's about spoiling the fans fun. If it's not fun to the fans anymore, it can't be spoiled.

Well you got the minority part right. I know that I and most viewers of ROH would say this is the best character run Lethal's ever had
I admitted both those things.

as well as some of the best matches hes had.
Come on? Really? There's not one four star match in the bunch aside from possibly the KUSHIDA match.

KUSHIDA, Ciampa, cage match with Taven, Alexander at ASE VI, ACH on TV, and these are only ones I can remember off the top of my head.

The KUSHIDA match at WOTW was great, but mostly due to how phenomenal KUSHIDA's been, he doesn't have a defense against Ciampa and the title win at SCOH against him was not a good match, the cage match with Taven was pretty good, the Cedric match at ASE was passable at best and one of Cedric's worst singles matches all year, and I wasn't as big a fan as most of the draw with ACH(but I'm admittedly mostly always lower on ACH matches as I'm just not that into the guy) but I've heard good things about their match at the Florida tapings as well as the Hanson match at SOTF.

You can't think of other matches because there aren't any worth ever thinking about again- a shitty match with Taven at BITW, and a bunch of matches that range from bad to unwatchable against the likes of Jay Diesel, Watanabe, Will Ferrara, Titus, and Cheeseburger, and even bad showings against better quality opponents than those guys like Koslov and Coleman, a shit showing in the TV gauntlet match, and being the man who single handedly ruined the tag match in Cincy after subbing for a sick Bennett and delivering a half-hearted outing that saw him vastly outshined by The Addiction and his partner Cole.

Lethal has been cutting good promos and this whole title reign hasn't been a complete waste, but Lethal is way too good in the ring to be playing the chickenshit who relies on Martini, even at times against vastly inferior competition. the booking has done him no favors, but what are they going to do? They have booked him so weakly that he has to supplement pulling out Dusty victories against true contenders with racking up additional wins where he looks like shit while still only being booked to scrape by the lowest tier of the roster.

The KUSHIDA match at WOTW was great, but mostly due to how phenomenal KUSHIDA's been, he doesn't have a defense against Ciampa and the title win at SCOH against him was not a good match, the cage match with Taven was pretty good, the Cedric match at ASE was passable at best and one of Cedric's worst singles matches all year, and I wasn't as big a fan as most of the draw with ACH(but I'm admittedly mostly always lower on ACH matches as I'm just not that into the guy) but I've heard good things about their match at the Florida tapings as well as the Hanson match at SOTF.

You can't think of other matches because there aren't any worth ever thinking about again- a shitty match with Taven at BITW, and a bunch of matches that range from bad to unwatchable against the likes of Jay Diesel, Watanabe, Will Ferrara, Titus, and Cheeseburger, and even bad showings against better quality opponents than those guys like Koslov and Coleman, a shit showing in the TV gauntlet match, and being the man who single handedly ruined the tag match in Cincy after subbing for a sick Bennett and delivering a half-hearted outing that saw him vastly outshined by The Addiction and his partner Cole.

Lethal has been cutting good promos and this whole title reign hasn't been a complete waste, but Lethal is way too good in the ring to be playing the chickenshit who relies on Martini, even at times against vastly inferior competition. the booking has done him no favors, but what are they going to do? They have booked him so weakly that he has to supplement pulling out Dusty victories against true contenders with racking up additional wins where he looks like shit while still only being booked to scrape by the lowest tier of the roster.

We can keep going back on this, me putting in my perspective, you giving yours, but as you have said, you're in the minority that don't like Jay Lethal as he is. I'm in the majority that feel this is the best run of Jay Lethal's career, all around. And it is. It's a lot better than his first ROH run, a lot better then him parodying Macho Man and a lot better than him being generic, stale, "I'm Jay Lethal and I'm happy to be here" like he was before he turned heel. Lets just agree to disagree.

So Elgin's angle is a work now right? I mean that whole "costing Ciampa" stuff they mentioned. We headed towards a blow off at Final Battle I assume?

It's official!

10384859_10152819512296328_3212117988790032847_n.jpg

GBHXIII recap
[youtube]oQAYa9ASWR8[/youtube]

If they were gonna end #TheNewStreak, I love the way they did it. Having to have Moose turn on RD as the only way for Evans to lose is a great way to go about it.

I think if done right this could end up getting RD Evans super over with the fanbase, especially if they have him not completely abandon the comedy, but work a much more serious and legitimate style than he has ever worked previously while in ROH(as he reportedly did last night). He can really connect with people and carry that plucky underdog mantle to big things. The promo he cut hyping last night's match is definitely superior to any promo that has been delivered by an ROH wrestler in 2014 not named Cole or Briscoe. I really think they can run with what they set in motion last night.

For this all to pay off though, they have to eventually put Evans over Moose CLEAN. It is the only thing that makes last night's angle make any sense. I assume Moose will have aligned with Prince Nana, not the H.O.T., and a continuation of the Evans/Nana feud is logical- as long as it ends with RD Evans getting a clean and not stolen or comedic victory over Moose down the line. If that is not the end game here, I will lose all faith in Delirious as a booker(and I'm definitely not one of his bigger critics).

Also I can dig them setting up Elgin/Hanson at Final Battle. If Elgin puts Hanson over clean(in what should be an outstanding match BTW) that would be a huge win for Hanson to add to this current momentum he has rolling.

All-in-all, GBH sounds like it was a really good show, and I'm eager for the VOD. It will be worth the price just to watch and hear the crowd lose their shit for Evans/Lethal and ACH/Briscoe and see if that electricity translates to video.

I also love the little touch of Cole picking up his win with the Jay Driller.

Joe Koff met this past week with New Japan President Naoki Sugabayashi, which straightened out the Tokyo Dome issues and they also discussed new things as well as joint shows, like they did last May. The shows are expected to be officially announced shortly by both promotions, but they will be similar to last year, and will return to New York and Toronto, and expand to Chicago and at least one other market.

2015 is already looking good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back